PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Spanish Grand Prix Thread

AndyL
7th May 2015, 18:43
After a 3 week wait, the cars hit the Circuit de Catalunya tomorrow. Back in Europe so back to "normal" session times:

Friday 8 May
Free practice 1 starts: BST 9:00 AM, local (CEST) 10:00 AM
Free practice 2 starts: BST 1:00 PM, local (CEST) 2:00 PM
Saturday 9 May
Free practice 3 starts: BST 10:00 AM, local (CEST) 11:00 AM
Qualifying starts: BST 1:00 PM, local (CEST) 2:00 PM
Sunday 10 May
Race starts: BST 1:00 PM, local (CEST) 2:00 PM

Storm
8th May 2015, 07:48
3 week gaps are dull.

I hope to see McLaren with the newer livery to score a point at least. Mercedes will win anyway :z

airshifter
8th May 2015, 15:04
Let's get some Pickems entries. Win bragging rights, get ragged on when you screw it up, and mess with Tazzy for changing his picks and excluding 6/10ths from his picks list! :laugh:

http://www.motorsportforums.com/listpickem.php?series=f1&round=5

Tazio
8th May 2015, 15:21
Yea' Babe, :stareup:
those guys are pussies for ducking me! ;)
Kimi just cracked me up by asking his race engineer if he can come in because the long runs are boring him! :laugh:

Tazio
8th May 2015, 15:53
Let's get some Pickems entries. Win bragging rights, get ragged on when you screw it up, and mess with Tazzy for changing his picks and excluding 6/10ths from his picks list! :laugh:

http://www.motorsportforums.com/listpickem.php?series=f1&round=5
So true, I wish I had the balls to make the picks that Mia made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syNLBJ_Lq9E (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syNLBJ_Lq9E:rolleyes)
"When you aint got nofin' ya got nofin" to lose" :rolleyes: :kiss: :) :angel:

Tazio
8th May 2015, 16:20
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEfIUwiWMAEvJrI.jpg:large

These speed trap times are encouraging for McLaren. According to Fred he had a charging problem when he was on low fuel option run. Probably just an excuse though! :> :rolleyes:

steveaki13
8th May 2015, 23:18
So little time these days.

Barely remembered it was this weekend and missed all practice.

Amazed that Mercedes are so low in the speed traps.

Zico
9th May 2015, 02:34

I doubt these practice speed traps really tell us the full story, a few will still be running with engines turned down.

Tazio
9th May 2015, 03:01
So little time these days.

Barely remembered it was this weekend and missed all practice.

You forgot that Mercedes doesn't turn their PUs on until Saturday. Plus I'm not sure, but I think both Nico, and Boss will be busting out new PUs for this race.

Tazio
9th May 2015, 03:40
http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/05/08/san-diego-padres-yonder-alonso-shoulder-injury

Bummer!

Tazio
9th May 2015, 10:49
'sup dawgz? P3 coming up, and the real performance levels should start coming into focus

Tazio
9th May 2015, 11:35
The Boss with a big spin at the 'nando cabeza curve :eek: ;)

Tazio
9th May 2015, 13:24
You forgot that Mercedes doesn't turn their PUs on until Saturday. Plus I'm not sure, but I think both Nico, and Boss will be busting out new PUs for this race.No, this is the 4th race on the PU, and second for Ferrari!
Sorrry! :stareup:

Tazio
9th May 2015, 14:18
Action packed Q1 dawgz! :dog:

longisland
9th May 2015, 14:57
Rosberg just put the hammer down. No pun intended. The Mercs are really raising the bar.

Tazio
9th May 2015, 15:00
Rosberg just put the hammer down. No pun intended. The Mercs are really raising the bar.
Britany:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzkUNR5sYQs

Tazio
9th May 2015, 15:07
Kimi gets smoked......again! ;)

truefan72
9th May 2015, 15:09
wow, Rosberg celebrating like he won the race. LOL

Well congrats to him for the pole, but let's see how the race turns out. One thing we know for sure is that Hamilton knows how to chase down Rosberg during the race and actually pass him.
Can't get pole in every race. That's just a reality.
Also congrats to Torro Roso. So much for the "Renault deficit". As i have said over and over, the true problem is probably the chasis more so than purely the engine.
Not sure what happened to kimi, but let's see how the race turns out.
Sauber drivers continue to underwhelm
Mclaren takes a minor step up.
Force India continues its downward spiral. I hope Hulkenberg can get a top seat for 2015.

So its all set up nicely for a good race tomorrow

and...Ted kravits continues to annoy me with every utterance

Tazio
9th May 2015, 15:21
:stareup: That seat already belongs to Bottas, but their is a seat waiting for Kimi at Haas F1 if he can beat Slash in a shootout! :idea: :angel:

At any rate it should be a good race between Nico and The Boss. Great job by the Toro Rosso boyz.
Felipe got spanked....again!

Zico
9th May 2015, 15:38
Looks like we could be in for a great race tomorow, even with the Lewis/Nico battle I also expect Ferrari to be a real threat to Merc with their superior tyre management in the Spanish heat.

So pleased for Torro Rosso and very proud of the rookies, Sainz and Verstappen, fanatstic to see them both doing so well. That Renault engine is obviously not that bad, RB would do well to retract their scathing Renault engine comments and take a good look at thereselves.

Mia 01
9th May 2015, 20:19
Maclaren perhaps reached the lower half of the midfield now but still Moore than 3 sek off the pace. I Think Alonso will quit midseason.

airshifter
9th May 2015, 20:50
Should be another interesting race. We know Lewis will push Nico hard up front, and the big question is if that will slow either of them down enough to let the Ferrari's or Williams cars have a shot at getting between them. With the Mercedes seemingly being harder on tires, I think Seb at least has a shot at it. Kimi would have to get past the Torro Rosso cars quick to get into the mix. Hopefully the Williams race pace is enough to keep Bottas up near a podium shot as well.

Tazio
9th May 2015, 20:55
Maclaren perhaps reached the lower half of the midfield now but still Moore than 3 sek off the pace. I Think Alonso will quit midseason.
:stareup: That may happen.... if Kimi is persuaded to just stop constantly complaining and just leave if he is going to continue to act so curmudgeonly, and suck at the same time, and if Ferrari can somehow beg a guy who still is at the top of his game hard enough to come back and properly ring that cars neck.
Sorry Mia :dog: :lick:....Balls!! :smokin:

Mia 01
9th May 2015, 22:34
Yes, i can hardly imagine what the good old chap feels like at the moment. Perhaps the Money will keep him in F1 the reminder of the year. Or, is he, really, feeling well, it was an awful crash earlier this year.

Tazio
9th May 2015, 23:21
:stareup: ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzkUNR5sYQs :kiss: ;)

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 09:57
Looking forward to today. :)

Should be fun to see if Nico can hold off Lewis and if Vettel can keep up with them.

Behind that can Kimi & Massa make it through Toro Rosso's and challenge Bottas for 4th.

Robinho
10th May 2015, 10:58
McLaren has successfully overhauled Sauber and Force India it seems, don't seem to have major reliability issues at the moment, and are on the heels of Lotus and Red Bull. I can't see them goi g anywhere but forwards, and in Alonso and Button they have 2 proven development drivers who race as well as anyone on the grid. The future is pretty rosy, I don't buy the doomsday scenarios

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Tazio
10th May 2015, 12:10
Looking forward to today. :)

Should be fun to see if Nico can hold off Lewis and if Vettel can keep up with them.

Behind that can Kimi & Massa make it through Toro Rosso's and challenge Bottas for 4th.
As much as I'd like to see it, I think it will take a Herculean effort for the TRs to beat either a Ferrari, or a Williams even at this track where it is notoriously hard to pass. And, even with the teams weaker driver (and weaker than either TR driver), I will be very surprised to see the TRs hold their advantage for the full race.
I guess we are about to find out! ;)

rjbetty
10th May 2015, 12:59
I think Rosberg will have this one. Looking forward to see what Kimi might do later on, with his deft touch on tyres. He has won from 7th on the grid before but that's probably too much to ask around here today.

Very important day today as it's bonus FGP day for me.

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 13:51
Hellllllooooooo Dawgs

For the first race in 3 I am actually by a TV live and my laptop. :)

Tazio
10th May 2015, 13:55
'sup Steve, any predictions? :bounce:

pino
10th May 2015, 14:03
Great start by Kimi !!!

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 14:05
Great start by Kimi.

Terrible start by Lewis. Could have been 4th.

I predict the race will be quite dull :p

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 14:05
and like you said Taz,

Toro Rosso are going to plummet backwards by the looks of it.

Tazio
10th May 2015, 14:10
great start by Kimi, \great start further back by Fred. TRs never had a chance!

pino
10th May 2015, 14:13
I predict an exciting race ! :p:

Tazio
10th May 2015, 14:15
Nico is gone!

Tazio
10th May 2015, 14:17
Jense having a nightmare race so far!

truefan72
10th May 2015, 14:17
5 races in and this stupid F1 app is still not working right?
WTF, a waste of money.

I wish the old website timing system was still working

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 14:19
Lewis losing masses of time behind Vettel. Needs to stop moaning and pass or wait for pitstops

pino
10th May 2015, 14:20
WTF, a waste of money.

Can't you see it live on TV ?

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 14:23

:rotflmao:Thumbs up.

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 14:24
Da boss has been screwed. Unlike his rear tyre

Tazio
10th May 2015, 14:27
WTF, a waste of money.

Amen brother, sounds like I should be glad I didn't buy it!

truefan72
10th May 2015, 14:44
boy, what happened to alonso?
can't blame brake failure on the honda engine

truefan72
10th May 2015, 14:47
Amen brother, sounds like I should be glad I didn't buy it!

yeah, its pathetic

truefan72
10th May 2015, 14:48

its the live timing pino. I watch and follow both

pino
10th May 2015, 14:49
Ok understood now :p:

veeten
10th May 2015, 14:51
boy, what happened to alonso?
can't blame brake failure on the honda engine

Hey, guys. :)

I guess we can safely say that the car is an absolute "OINK"! Alo has too little brake, and Button has too much throttle. Geez... :s

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 14:52
Not a massively brilliant first half of the race so far

Tazio
10th May 2015, 14:54
Pino in the US we watch mostly commercials :angryfire

pino
10th May 2015, 14:55
Hello veeten ! :wave:

veeten
10th May 2015, 14:55
Ham with Barkley & Co. in Vegas for the Mayweather/Pacciquio fight.

Tazio
10th May 2015, 14:56
Boss flying on the hard compound!

veeten
10th May 2015, 14:57
Hello veeten ! :wave:

Hey, pino. :D

Koz
10th May 2015, 15:05
Looks like Madonado is rubbing off on Grosjean...

Tazio
10th May 2015, 15:11
I've gone over to a pirate sky stream, I can't take the commercials on NBC any more, they come every 5 minutes.

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 15:18
I've gone over to a pirate sky stream,

Whats playing Treasure Island :D

I will get my coat

Tazio
10th May 2015, 15:23
Whats playing Treasure Island :D

I will get my coat

Noi. I think it is a documentary about McLaren. It's called "Faulty Towers" :angel:

veeten
10th May 2015, 15:27
"where's the Blue Flags?..." :bigcry:

pino
10th May 2015, 15:41
You were right steve, it's been a dull race :s :p:

Tazio
10th May 2015, 15:43
Bottas just drove a stake into Kimi's heart. :dozey:

Zico
10th May 2015, 15:45
Bottas just drove a stake into Kimi's heart. :dozey:

...and may well take his seat from him next year!

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 15:46
You were right steve, it's been a dull race :s :p:

Its Spain...... (mostly dull)

This season has Mercedes 1-2', Vettel 3rd, then Kimi v two Williams.

Pretty predictable.

Tazio
10th May 2015, 15:47
Nice job on pick'ems Steve, I think the only guys we got out of position are Ham, and an under-performing Ice-Man!

veeten
10th May 2015, 15:49
Okay, they gave Nico his 'candy'. Next week, we return to Lewis' championship march, already in progress... :p

truefan72
10th May 2015, 15:49
oh well

who knows if that useless pit stop would have changed the dynamics.
If hamilton came out ahead of Vettel, he might have pushed Nico

But I'll take 2nd and a 20 point lead
on to Monaco

sadly my FGP lotus heavy team is still suffering with yet another potential double points finish being sabotaged by themselves.
Maldonado was storming his way through the field and TBH the only guy today seemingly capable of making decent passes

N4D13
10th May 2015, 15:52
What do you think about that last "overtake" from Sainz on Kyvat? On any other race I'd expect the stewards to hand the Spaniard a +5 s penalty, but with this being the Spanish GP, I'm not so sure.

Incidentally, it's impressive that the Toro Rossos qualified in front of Kimi and then got lapped by him. (Yeah, I know about Kimi's tyres, but still)

By the way, I think everyone is being way too quick to whine about McLaren, but the thing is that today they were on course for a points finish, which was unthinkable not so long ago and they've been clearly improving a lot. They're having a bad run, but I'm certain they'll get it right sooner rather than later.*

* I'm still not betting $1000 on that, though.

Tazio
10th May 2015, 15:57
...and may well take his seat from him next year!

Yes, that was my implication there. He just took it, if he didn't already have it ;)

truefan72
10th May 2015, 16:00
What do you think about that last "overtake" from Sainz on Kyvat? On any other race I'd expect the stewards to hand the Spaniard a +5 s penalty, but with this being the Spanish GP, I'm not so sure.

Incidentally, it's impressive that the Toro Rossos qualified in front of Kimi and then got lapped by him. (Yeah, I know about Kimi's tyres, but still)

By the way, I think everyone is being way too quick to whine about McLaren, but the thing is that today they were on course for a points finish, which was unthinkable not so long ago and they've been clearly improving a lot. They're having a bad run, but I'm certain they'll get it right sooner rather than later.*

* I'm still not betting $1000 on that, though.

I'm torn on this one.
On the one hand he was in the process of overtaking kvyatt and the russian did push him wide and left no room
on the other hand he was clearly outside of the track limits
My guess is that he will be given the +5sec and relegated to 10th
it will be a shame since Sainz had a good 2nd half of the race.

Kvyatt is quickly becoming the new Webber with his more than difficult nature when being overtaken.
I'm sure Horner was screaming at him over the radio karate kid style , telling him that "under no circumstance can you allow the STR to overtake and beat you. You do what you need to do!" :)

AndyL
10th May 2015, 16:00
For McLaren, I think that wasn't quite as bad a race as it looked. A brake failure seems like the sort of thing that shouldn't be too hard to fix, and Alonso was running pretty well before that. And in the second half of the race, Button spent most of the time lapping faster than the Torro Rossos, Saubers and Force Indias. Their speed has improved hugely since the start of the season. When they get on top of the niggling problems and put together a consistent race weekend, they'll be scoring points.

steveaki13
10th May 2015, 16:05
Nice job on pick'ems Steve, I think the only guys we got out of position are Ham, and an under-performing Ice-Man!

Well done Taz. I think about 6 of us went for the same.

Thats the issue this season. Its pretty easy to get the top 2 right, 3rd right, 4th-6th right and then the two best of the rest.

N. Jones
10th May 2015, 19:05
I hope this race shows the FIA that the STUPID chicane before the last turn needs to go.

The Black Knight
10th May 2015, 19:27
Just back in me house in France from Spanish GP. Was obvious after first pit stop that Rosberg was gonna win. Kudos and great job by him.

I think Hammy has only himself to blame for the defeat. He needs to stop jet setting around tr world between GP's. Only one day with you Engineers in 3 weeks is not enough. I bet that's why he struggled with set up too. Rosberg probably had his pretty much nailed before FP1 even started from simulator work.

First time I went to a GP in this new formula. Not as noisy but I still love the sound and I come away without sore ears too. Wohoo!!!

truefan72
10th May 2015, 19:54

Ha! you were spot on with your prediction.
It was deemed a racing incident and no penalties for either driver.
I've seen less penalized more in different races.

But good for Sainz he did deserve that 9th spot at the end of the day. ;)

truefan72
10th May 2015, 19:59
Just back in me house in France from Spanish GP. Was obvious after first pit stop that Rosberg was gonna win. Kudos and great job by him.

I think Hammy has only himself to blame for the defeat. He needs to stop jet setting around tr world between GP's. Only one day with you Engineers in 3 weeks is not enough. I bet that's why he struggled with set up too. Rosberg probably had his pretty much nailed before FP1 even started from simulator work.

First time I went to a GP in this new formula. Not as noisy but I still love the sound and I come away without sore ears too. Wohoo!!!

Honestly, that had nothing to do with today's performance.
He was slow off the line for sure, and then drove a solid race, setting a blinding performance in his 3rd sting on the Hards
and if not of a poor pitstop could maybe have challenged Rosberg.

today was not his day, and yet he still came in 2nd, not the end of the world.
If you gave me 3 wins and 2 2nd places after 5 races, i would take that.
it is a long championship and today was about damage control.
lets not go crazy with the other stuff.

truefan72
10th May 2015, 20:02
I hope this race shows the FIA that the STUPID chicane before the last turn needs to go.

Very well said :up:
and while we are at it, if you are going to have a 2nd DRS spot then you might as well go back to the longer corner on turn 10 as well

donKey jote
10th May 2015, 20:34
Ha! you were spot on with your prediction.
It was deemed a racing incident and no penalties for either driver.
I've seen less penalized more in different races.

But good for Sainz he did deserve that 9th spot at the end of the day. ;)

Maybe they also saw that he was ahead at the time and he got bumped by Kyvat lurching up the inside, so it was easier for them to excuse ;)

N4D13
10th May 2015, 21:59
Maybe they also saw that he was ahead at the time and he got bumped by Kyvat lurching up the inside, so it was easier for them to excuse ;)
That's a good point, but we've seen them handing out penalties whenever someone overtakes outside of the track limits, even if they were forced to by another driver. I am still not sure that the verdict would have been the same had this been any other race.

airshifter
11th May 2015, 04:06
Rosberg nailed it today. He pulled a gap and never looked back. The coverage here made it sound as if all the tides have turned due to winning one..... I guess they just like a story? But good to see that he controlled the race today. I don't want it to be a bore fest.

Other than the initial sorting at race start, not a lot of good wheel to wheel racing. Most of the passes were in the DRS zone. At least Sainz and Kvyat bounced off each other. :) I actually think Kvyat forced that move and pushed him wide intentionally once Sainz was there.

It seems like Lewis was too late getting to 2nd to even really made a solid try to catch Nico. Seb, Valterri, and Kimi all ran out of tire at about the same time, and that killed what action might have happened near the front.

McLaren are sucking in a mighty way.

Ferrari seem to be getting good results by splitting strategy. Kimi seems to charge towards the end of races, and always seems to make good use of his last set of tires. Apparently Ferrari somehow destroyed a set of Kimi's tires though, overcooking them in the tire warmers or something?

Felipe had a decent race for a change, and Ricciardo and Grosjean continue to get up into the points.

Overall.... kind of a slow race for me.

A FONDO
11th May 2015, 10:48
Other than the initial sorting at race start, not a lot of good wheel to wheel racing. Most of the passes were in the DRS zone. At least Sainz and Kvyat bounced off each other. :) I actually think Kvyat forced that move and pushed him wide intentionally once Sainz was there.
I can remember the two Lotuses at turn 3, but nothing else... sadly.

zako85
11th May 2015, 21:41
For McLaren, I think that wasn't quite as bad a race as it looked. A brake failure seems like the sort of thing that shouldn't be too hard to fix, and Alonso was running pretty well before that. And in the second half of the race, Button spent most of the time lapping faster than the Torro Rossos, Saubers and Force Indias. Their speed has improved hugely since the start of the season. When they get on top of the niggling problems and put together a consistent race weekend, they'll be scoring points.

In this generation of cars, the brakes are intertwined with energy harvesting systems, so we can speculate that brake failure is not always going to be trivial to fix.

PS: I honestly expected more of McLaren after livery change...

Robinho
12th May 2015, 03:50
In this generation of cars, the brakes are intertwined with energy harvesting systems, so we can speculate that brake failure is not always going to be trivial to fix.

PS: I honestly expected more of McLaren after livery change...

Except the brake failure is suspected to be a result of a visor tear off catching in a duct somewhere and overheating the brakes. The sky is not falling in

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

The Black Knight
13th May 2015, 09:23
Honestly, that had nothing to do with today's performance.
He was slow off the line for sure, and then drove a solid race, setting a blinding performance in his 3rd sting on the Hards
and if not of a poor pitstop could maybe have challenged Rosberg.

today was not his day, and yet he still came in 2nd, not the end of the world.
If you gave me 3 wins and 2 2nd places after 5 races, i would take that.
it is a long championship and today was about damage control.
lets not go crazy with the other stuff.

Lewis has always been prone to being lead astray easily with his celebrity lifestyle. I don't know if you saw his twitter and the picture of him in the girls hat at Maypac but it's just embarrassing. Anyway, one day in 3 weeks working towards the next GP is not enough if he is to defend his title successfully. The bad start was ultimately what caused his bad day but so was his inability to put everything together in qualifying.

journeyman racer
13th May 2015, 13:33
A peculiar race, I thought. I honestly did not expect such a comfortable win by Rosberg. Heck, after getting pole, I didn't think he'd win anyway!

Not really sure what to make to make of the result. Has Rosberg found that extra bit? Will it be an aberration? I don't know.

Tazio
13th May 2015, 15:35
The bad start was ultimately what caused his bad day but so was his inability to put everything together in qualifying.That pretty much sums it up. In a one constructor championship you have to be faster than the other guy (Nico in this case) and avoid the "moving obstacles"(Ferrari), or be able to dispose of them poste haste. The race for the championship has just gotten a little more interesting, and if Nico wins the next race it will be that much more.

Mia 01
14th May 2015, 13:05
Monaco next, itīs Nicos race. Take the Money and run gold chain boy.

Tazio
14th May 2015, 16:08
Golden chain boy. :laugh:
Well it is his gold to do with as he pleases! ;)