PDA

View Full Version : VW in F1?, Who Would Represent Them?

DannyQ
5th May 2015, 14:38
http://motorsportcentral.co.uk/vw-may-enter-f1-audi-says-not-yet/

Tazio
5th May 2015, 16:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suXXVS7cqJw

:angel:

anfield5
5th May 2015, 22:04
I have been thinking about this. Here are my worthless thoughts (since I am usually quite wrong don't take too much notice :))

Audi - good sportscar pedigree but none in F1, have already stated that Audi will not enter F1

VW - saloon car and rally pedigree is strong, alos been involved in several single seat series, but F1 doesn't sit with the 'peoples car' tag

Skoda - no

Bently - plenty of pre WW2 success, nothing since, and again F1 doesn't seem to fit the profile of a luxury car brand

Porsche - obvious choice, have won F1 titles post 1980, are a performance car/sportscar brand, biggest problem for porsche is Mercedes-Benz doing so well.

Bugatti - had a couple of F1 racers in the 50's and actually introduced the rear-engined GP car to the world championship, a few years before Cooper made it work

Seat - no

Lamborghini - have been involved in a previous incarnation of the company with no success

Suzuki - no

I would love to see VAG in F1 but I would like to see them resurrect the old Auto Union badge for F1, for two reasons. 1. The sense of history - when Merc were dominating prewar it was Auto Union who were the only marque that could beat them.
2. It would isoloate and direct the team away from the corporate monster that is VAG

kfzmeister
6th May 2015, 01:09
Audi and Red Bull. A change at the top of VW might make it a possibility.

AndyL
6th May 2015, 13:14
I would love to see VAG in F1 but I would like to see them resurrect the old Auto Union badge for F1, for two reasons. 1. The sense of history - when Merc were dominating prewar it was Auto Union who were the only marque that could beat them.
2. It would isoloate and direct the team away from the corporate monster that is VAG

I like this idea a lot. Chances of it happening might be remote but it would be nice to see.

Rollo
6th May 2015, 13:34

Hear hear.
+1 to this.

It has to be the Auto Union Type E doesn't it? Maybe attach the DKW name to it somewhere. DKW "Des Knaben Wunsch"

journeyman racer
6th May 2015, 14:18
I'd like to see Suzuki go for it!

Storm
7th May 2015, 07:47
Audi or Porsche. Both have racing/rallying pedigree (if not exactly in F1) and are big brands in most markets. Of course they would need to do a better job than Toyota did ;)

COD
7th May 2015, 10:06
Lamborghini would be a good choise. Heritage + would suite the image

Rollo
7th May 2015, 14:19
Audi or Porsche. Both have racing/rallying pedigree (if not exactly in F1) and are big brands in most markets. Of course they would need to do a better job than Toyota did ;)

Yeah... not Porsche... especially no at as an engine supplier... only 3 Drivers Titles and 2 Constructors Titles.
Also not as an outright builder either... Dan Gurney only won the 1962 French GP in a Porsche 804
http://www.buyf1merchandise.co.uk/product_images/porsche-802-1st-french-grand-prix-1962-30-d-gurney-1-18.jpg

Storm
8th May 2015, 07:45
my comment was mainly directed at Audi. I know about the Porsche TAG stuff (but as a complete works team?)

zako85
9th May 2015, 13:20
Considering that F1 is seriously struggling this season all-in-all (teams leaving, teams in financial distress, the implosion of European GPs, Mercedes-Hamilton dominance, etc) while the WEC is on a serious rise (far more interesting technology competition, lots of wheel-to-wheel racing between the three factory LMP1 teams, which will be joined by the front engine, front wheel drive Nissan LMP1 in Le Mans), I think Audi would have to be fools to leave LMP1 any time soon. But one innovative thing Audi could do, is to switch their LMP1 car architecture from diesel-electric to 1.6L turbo petrol hybrid, and then provide the same engine in F1 competition, perhaps to customer teams. That could be interesting.

Koz
10th May 2015, 15:24
Lamborghini would be a good choise. Heritage + would suite the image

Lamborghini just doesn't have the numbers for it to matter for VAG.

Porsche with Audi as engine supplier?

N. Jones
10th May 2015, 19:05
Until Bernie dies you will not see anyone new in F1.

CNR
14th May 2015, 06:00
Red Bull threatens to quit Formula 1 unless Audi enters the sport, or Renault develop better engine
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport/formula-one/red-bull-threatens-to-quit-formula-1-unless-audi-enters-the-sport-or-renault-develop-better-engine/story-e6frf3zl-1227351744922