PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen in WRC?

CABAIO E'LONA
20th April 2007, 17:05
it is rumored that VW could enter the WRC to the WRC with the Scirocco. .is possible this?

http://wrcrallynews.blogspot.com/

http://autosport.clix.pt/gen.pl?p=stories&op=view&fokey=as.stories/24006

http://www.racingworld.it/rally/notizia2.php?idtitolo=4043

GigiGalliNo1
20th April 2007, 17:50
Sounds interesting? Another Skoda like team? How are they in S2000 in S.A?

Sorry not trying to sounds rude with that top comment lol just it does sound interesting but I hope they do wouldn't mind another team, drivers change and get positions instead of in the back light like some now Dudu, Gigi, Garde..... you know the rest. :|

JAM
20th April 2007, 18:58
If they come to WRC as they went to Le Mans...

COD
20th April 2007, 21:12
VW rallying plans have been abandoned one by one in the last 20 years, so it would be a big surprise if they really would go ahed with it this time

A.F.F.
20th April 2007, 23:02
Yep. VW is like Nissan in WRC.

Josti
20th April 2007, 23:10
Not a bad idea of course. They are quite fed up strumbling on Mitsubishi's behind with their Rally Raid program (take Dakar for example). Maybe it's time for something else. Probably the best transition would be WRC. Don't see it happening so soon though...

koko0703
23rd April 2007, 21:33
There have been many rumors of VW coming into WRC but none of them was real. It would be nice to see VW in WRC, but I think it's just rumor again.

Grant_RSA
24th April 2007, 12:38
if they do go WRC, i really hope they give Giniel de Villiers a go in the car, i rate him as one of the most talented drivers around, so i hope they dont loose him!!!

turves
24th April 2007, 12:57
This may have been rumours over the years, but it could well happen if you think about things. Volkswagen have a rather well known Spanish former WRC driver on their books, could they be considering him as a team manager possibly, when his driving days come to an end? His technical knowledge could be well used with development...

Just something to ponder over.

jparker
24th April 2007, 14:18
This may have been rumours over the years, but it could well happen if you think about things. Volkswagen have a rather well known Spanish former WRC driver on their books, could they be considering him as a team manager possibly, when his driving days come to an end? His technical knowledge could be well used with development...

Just something to ponder over.

If it happens, I don't think it will be because of former WRC driver.
Also, if it happens and VW are just starting to think about it, it will probably take at leaset 3 years from now. There is no even a concept picture of the car yet ?!?!?!?

smolvar
25th April 2007, 02:05
Isn't Skoda part of VAG (Volkswagon Auto Group)?
I thought Skoda's development and rally spend was the reason we saw VW and Audi go away?

L5->R5/CR
25th April 2007, 05:18
I think we'll see VW at the Baja 1000 before a WRC...

GigiGalliNo1
25th April 2007, 06:54
Would be good to see another (official manu) team in the WRC no?

Ford, Subaru, Citroen..........Suzuki..

MikeD
25th April 2007, 09:54
They said on "Motors TV" yesterday that Audi is on their way out of ALMS/American Le Mans so maybe the VAG group will use their motorsport budget elsewhere?

It's also pretty clear that VAG are no longer interested in trying to enter the Audi brand in F1. They considered buying the Sauber team, but that team is now in the hands of BMW.

This means that Audi only have the original Le Mans race with their V10 diesel, so there must a big un-used budget, which could be used for a WRC program. Would be great to have AUDI back in WRC or to welcome VW.

wroom
25th April 2007, 13:08
Just like the VW group entered WRC with SEAT and Skoda.. They just don't seem to be in it for the long term, which is a shame. The series desperately needs another serious manufacturer or two.

Tom206wrc
25th April 2007, 14:34
This means that Audi only have the original Le Mans race with their V10 diesel,...

No !! It's a V12 TDI !! :p :

Karbonyl
25th April 2007, 16:33
Just like the VW group entered WRC with SEAT and Skoda.. They just don't seem to be in it for the long term, which is a shame. The series desperately needs another serious manufacturer or two.I would say that 8 or 10 years ago there was not the sport strategy of VAG as clear as today. I could imagine VW in WRC, so that the structure would be the same as in the rest of the concern:

Circuits: Audi (top level prototypes), Seat (race cars such as WTCC)
Rally: Volkswagen (top level WRC), Skoda (S2000 for masses :-) )

jparker
25th April 2007, 19:08
I would say that 8 or 10 years ago there was not the sport strategy of VAG as clear as today. I could imagine VW in WRC, so that the structure would be the same as in the rest of the concern:

Are you saying that Skoda will not continue in WRC in the future?

TheFlyingTuga
25th April 2007, 21:39
I would say that 8 or 10 years ago there was not the sport strategy of VAG as clear as today. I could imagine VW in WRC, so that the structure would be the same as in the rest of the concern:

Yep, you're right! You just missed Lamborghini (GT car for masses)

But, if the VAG Group strategy was well defined untill now:
Audi (Top Level Resistance)
Lambo (GT Classes)
Seat (Touring Cars)
Skoda (Rallying)
VW (RallyRaid)

now, its a bit confusing, because, if Skoda will make a rally car for masses, and I think that is a good project, and VW going to rally (hipotectaly) who in the group is defending their colours in the desert sand? Maybe they realized that Dakar and Rally Raid is "property" of Mitsu!

Cheers

L5->R5/CR
25th April 2007, 22:47
Yep, you're right! You just missed Lamborghini (GT car for masses)

But, if the VAG Group strategy was well defined untill now:
Audi (Top Level Resistance)
Lambo (GT Classes)
Seat (Touring Cars)
Skoda (Rallying)
VW (RallyRaid)

now, its a bit confusing, because, if Skoda will make a rally car for masses, and I think that is a good project, and VW going to rally (hipotectaly) who in the group is defending their colours in the desert sand? Maybe they realized that Dakar and Rally Raid is "property" of Mitsu!

Cheers

I'm not sure how VW is percieved in Europe, or the world, but in the US they need help.

Their cars are percieved as mundane, pedestrian, and boring. They are for the khaki clad, suburban, YUPs, and highschool girls. Their line lacks excitement, appeal, and sporting interests and many younger buyers have a very negative view of their products in terms of styling, reliability, and performance.

VW may need a kick in the pants in more than one market, WRC might be a good way to start doing that...

koko0703
25th April 2007, 23:04
They said on "Motors TV" yesterday that Audi is on their way out of ALMS/American Le Mans so maybe the VAG group will use their motorsport budget elsewhere?

It's also pretty clear that VAG are no longer interested in trying to enter the Audi brand in F1. They considered buying the Sauber team, but that team is now in the hands of BMW.

This means that Audi only have the original Le Mans race with their V10 diesel, so there must a big un-used budget, which could be used for a WRC program. Would be great to have AUDI back in WRC or to welcome VW.

It would be nice to see Audi in WRC, especially for those of us who never get to see the glory days of Audi in 1980's. However isn't ALMS project run by Audi North America, not by Audi in Germany??? In that case the budget may be used within North America.... I think North American market is very important for Audi. But either way, VW will have some motorsports budget when stepping out of ALMS....

L5->R5/CR
25th April 2007, 23:24
It would be nice to see Audi in WRC, especially for those of us who never get to see the glory days of Audi in 1980's. However isn't ALMS project run by Audi North America, not by Audi in Germany??? In that case the budget may be used within North America.... I think North American market is very important for Audi. But either way, VW will have some motorsports budget when stepping out of ALMS....

I think the more accurate report is that Audi will step down from running a factory team in the ALMS (Audi NA will more than likely broker a sale of R10s to a team like Champion Audi to campaign the cars as they did just a few years ago after the Audi factory stepped down with R8s).

I also think Audi is tryign to force the ALMS to stop rescinding the rules that favor diesels.

jparker
26th April 2007, 00:10
I'm not sure how VW is percieved in Europe, or the world, but in the US they need help.

Their cars are percieved as mundane, pedestrian, and boring. They are for the khaki clad, suburban, YUPs, and highschool girls. Their line lacks excitement, appeal, and sporting interests and many younger buyers have a very negative view of their products in terms of styling, reliability, and performance.

VW may need a kick in the pants in more than one market, WRC might be a good way to start doing that...

First, to answer your question, VW Golf is one of the best selling cars in Europe and it's well adopted by young car enthusiasts.
But......., I don't think you can compare VW in Europe and North America.
I hope you are aware that most VW for North America are build in North America and are sold only in North America, and I can tell you there is huuuuuuge difference. In other words, you don't know much about this car.

Tomi
26th April 2007, 00:24
First, to answer your question, VW Golf is one of the best selling cars in Europe and it's well adopted by young car enthusiasts.

I agree, VW Golf is a quality car same goes for Passat also, I think reliable cars too.

L5->R5/CR
26th April 2007, 05:36
But......., I don't think you can compare VW in Europe and North America.
I hope you are aware that most VW for North America are build in North America and are sold only in North America, and I can tell you there is huuuuuuge difference. In other words, you don't know much about this car.

You're right. I don't know jack about VW Europe cars, and I don't want to. Only VW I have any interest in is a TDI Touraeg or however it is spelled.

Donney
26th April 2007, 09:17
While the VW are extremely well regarded cars in Europe and are very reliable I also consider them boring and unappealling.

jonkka
27th April 2007, 13:03
Cars for the masses. Can that be exciting, by definition? Hardly.

GigiGalliNo1
28th April 2007, 08:23
Maybe what VW will do is turn their EOS cabrio/hardtop in the a 307CC like WRC car.

Gard
28th April 2007, 10:28
As tread starter says, sure will be the new Scirocco. Name one current WRC that is exciting...yeah maybe the Subaru, but all others are boring family cars.

GigiGalliNo1
28th April 2007, 10:59
lol

ok :)

Maui J.
28th April 2007, 11:19
While the VW are extremely well regarded cars in Europe and are very reliable I also consider them boring and unappealling.

I agree, although I do like the R32 Golf.
But at the same time if VW make a WRCar I'm sure that will change my mind. Family sedan/hatch/saloon/whatever in WRCar form can only be a good thing IMO.

Gard
28th April 2007, 13:50
As tread starter says, sure will be the new Scirocco. Name one current WRC that is exciting...yeah maybe the Subaru, but all others are boring family cars.

eh... I meant the base cars, not the wrc's. But you understood that that didn't you?

GigiGalliNo1
28th April 2007, 14:59
Shoot, speaking of VW, i was meant to wake up early to go test drive the R32 and GTi Golfs today, shame, will do later in the week! :D haha

Spud
29th April 2007, 03:50
It would be interesting for VW to do WRC but I seriously doubt that they will.What would they have to gain???

RallyCat909
30th April 2007, 15:04
Perhaps Vw's wack image in the US could be over come if pictures of rally cars sliding around tarmac on corsican cliffsides were pasted up in showrooms. Go to an AutoX or rally in the US and all you see are Golfs and Hondas. Either of these marques could benefit from a rallying image. I think VW would do well to have a WRC.

I also might mention that not all americans have a deep passion for massive retro-tech V8s rumbling around ovals.

My dream car is a Lancia Delta S4.

L5->R5/CR
30th April 2007, 15:33
Go to an AutoX or rally in the US and all you see are Golfs and Hondas. Either of these marques could benefit from a rallying image. I think VW would do well to have a WRC.

Maybe in the south but not here.

And the v-dubs that are there are all older models, nothing current in any real amount of representation.

HaCo
7th May 2007, 18:30
Cool car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgArKxp1Rgs&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eautoblog%2Ecom%2F2007%2F05 %2F07%2Fvideo%2Dvw%2Diroc%2Dconcept%2Dis%2Dinto%2D watersports%2F

Josti
7th May 2007, 21:33
The front kind of reminds me of the new Lancer. Wish to see some WRC version drawings of this car.

AndyRAC
8th May 2007, 09:30
Seriously, why would VAG want to join the WRC? What would they get out of it? Yes, it would be great if it was true, can't see it myself.

GigiGalliNo1
10th May 2007, 15:25
That green thing on youtube someone linked above is this:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/more-on-volkswagens-rear-engine-revival.html

Rear-engined...

"According to well-placed Volkswagen sources, the car will be 130 inches long and cost $10,000 to $14,000, reports Automobile magazine. It won't feature power steering, but ABS, a sunroof, and even a navigation system will be offered.

Expect power to come from a three-cylinder engine in the U.S. version, and two or even one-cylinder motors abroad, the report said.

The new model will be something of a spiritual revival of the original Beetle, which had its engine in the back. Currently, the only other modern cars with a rear engine are the Porsche 911 and Smart ForTwo." LLN.

Nenukknak
10th May 2007, 15:44
That green thing on youtube someone linked above is this:

No it isn't, just because it's green, doesn't make it the same car.

GigiGalliNo1
10th May 2007, 15:51
No it isn't, just because it's green, doesn't make it the same car.

ok go to the original link i sent before click on the photo.....what comes up?

this:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-volkswagen-plans-rear-engine-mini-competitor.html

hence if yu watch the youtube vid and compare the rear of the green VW to the photo of the rear tail lights in this photo (link above) they're talking about the same car :)

Nenukknak
10th May 2007, 16:01
Just because the writer's of that article can't be bothered to find a correct picture, shouldn't mean that you copy their mistake.

Click on the link beneath the article and you see what they're talking about:
http://www.autobild.de/heftarchiv/vorschau.php?oid=AwEjd17IhGipEzzC1vU9RAuDllsTVP10X oQOw1F8Cdu8K8PFVwnKyOPp693VhMVYfRv8D32SydRXhj9lI8K WUQ%3D%3D

And don't tell me it's the same car.

GigiGalliNo1
10th May 2007, 16:13
soz