PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports Finally Pulled Rank

Rollo
12th February 2015, 22:33
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport/formula-one/formula-1-on-fox-sports-australia-every-race-qualifying-and-practice-session-live-in-hd-from-2015/story-e6frf3zl-1227217591538?nk=6e7ec8246328b22473090a1b0356983c

FOX SPORTS has further bolstered its investment in premium motorsport by today announcing a new broadcast rights agreement with Foxtel, the Ten Network and Formula One Management, driving every event of the Formula 1 calendar to FOX SPORTS for the next five years.

Under the unprecedented new agreement, FOX SPORTS will broadcast all 20 events in the FIA Formula One World Championship Race Calendar LIVE and in High Definition — including every practice, qualifying and race — a first for Australian viewers, beginning with the 2015 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX in Melbourne on March 12. The Ten Network will continue to show 10 Formula 1 races during the 2015 season, simulcast LIVE with FOX SPORTS.

This means that Australia actually had better free-to-air coverage in 1984.

Thanks Mr Murdoch. Knave!

anfield5
12th February 2015, 23:40
It's still better than the free to air we have in NZ, which is NONE! and has been for years. Although a big song and dance is being made of the fact that we will get free to air Indycar highlights..... yay?

CNR
12th February 2015, 23:56
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/motor-sport/formula-1-australian-tv-rights-to-be-shared-by-ten-fox-sports-foxtel-in-five-year-deal-from-2015/story-fni2fu80-1227217569413?nk=7fbf3a6f8538228d08b6bad071c7a731# social-comments
"Heading into their 12th year of covering the sport, Ten will continue to show all 20 rounds of the 2015 championship on free-to-air, but only 10 of the races will be shown live.

The remainder will be shown as one-hour highlights packages at 9.30pm on ONE on the Monday night after the race in a move similar to the Ten/Fox V8 Supercars deal."

Doc Austin
12th February 2015, 23:56
Bernie would probably say that anyone who can't afford cable probably won't be buying a Rolex any time soon and they aren't F1's target market.

Tazio
13th February 2015, 03:51
Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry :angel:

Rollo
13th February 2015, 05:00
The remainder will be shown as one-hour highlights packages at 9.30pm on ONE on the Monday night after the race in a move similar to the Ten/Fox V8 Supercars deal.

That move is 6 live races on free-to-air out of 14.

For the V8 Supercars' effort, I really hope that nobody goes to watch them and that the series falls flat on its face. I resent that with a joint venture like Foxtel, half of it doesn't even pay tax in Australia, can siphon profits overseas.

journeyman racer
13th February 2015, 14:26
Urgh. I suppose it was going to happen sooner or later. But it's disappointing that it's happened a year before it was agreed, and a month before the season starts.

I don't quite get what happening at 10. Rinehart, Packer, lil Murdoch all went about dismantling 10. Getting rid of the free-to-air nfl coverage, supposedly to force nfl fans to go to foxtel. But then the nfl ends up of 7, and you cannot see a game on foxtel, may be the mnf.

It's still better than the free to air we have in NZ, which is NONE! and has been for years. Although a big song and dance is being made of the fact that we will get free to air Indycar highlights..... yay?
The races are on right in the middle of the night over there?

Bernie would probably say that anyone who can't afford cable probably won't be buying a Rolex any time soon and they aren't F1's target market.
lol

I'm intrigued to see what happens to tv rights after Bernie passes.

N. Jones
14th February 2015, 02:29
I don't understand.
If Fox Sports Australia is going to show all 20 races and a practices and qualy, what is the problem?

CNR
14th February 2015, 04:12
I don't understand.
If Fox Sports Australia is going to show all 20 races and a practices and qualy, what is the problem?
$750 a year
http://advanced-television.com/2015/02/13/network-10-fox-partner-for-f1-coverage/
"Network Ten has also struck a partnership with Fox Sports, sub-licensing it the rights to show all Formula 1 practice, qualifying and races live across the duration of the deal."

Tazio
14th February 2015, 09:32
Is $750 per year just for the fox race channel?
In the U.S. it's not uncommon for customers to have to pay $200 per month to get a cable package that includes all F1 races.

That's 2,400.00 US dollars per year.....dawg!

BTW, here is a post scripted edit:

You can watch the McRaces free on:

http://www.vipbox.eu/

or

http://xn--frstrowsports-39b.eu/

If you wear a fake MacRolex

:angel:

Rollo
20th February 2015, 01:32
A solution has been found!

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-LY3fzCcAAk8yx.jpg

For season 2015 though, I will be keeping an unofficial scorecard of all the races on free-to-air this year. Since half of the races will not be on free-to-air as far as I'm concerned, they do not exist.
Points will be awarded 10-6-4-3-2-1 with a point for fastest lap and pole and the winner of the 10 free-to-air races will awarded the John Logie Baird Television Was Better in 1984 Memorial Cup.

TheFamousEccles
20th February 2015, 07:45
McDawg!

TheFamousEccles
20th February 2015, 07:49
I fucking hate Murdoch. This is ridiculous. Next thing we will have to put up with Darryl Eastlake again.

You can't imagine how absolutely pissed off I am with this state of affairs. I am stiffling a rant of biblical proportions here.

journeyman racer
20th February 2015, 10:27
What's wrong with Darrell? I liked him. Anyway, your prayers have answered with him. He's got Alzheimer's, he's ******.

Rollo
16th March 2015, 23:41
Points will be awarded 10-6-4-3-2-1 with a point for fastest lap and pole and the winner of the 10 free-to-air races will awarded the John Logie Baird Television Was Better in 1984 Memorial Cup.

9 points were awarded for a win in 1984, ARGH!

9 Hamilton
6 Rosberg
4 Vettel
3 Massa
2 Nasr
1 Riccardo

The Constructor's Championship is thus:

15 Mercedes
4 Ferrari
3 Williams
2 Sauber
1 Red Bull

The next race is in Bahrain.
Malaysia and China... nope. I don't know about those. They don't exist.

Whyzars
18th March 2015, 06:42
Don't hate Murdoch, its not his doing.

I won't ever pay to watch a modern F1 race. F1 is supposed to be about engines being pushed to the point of destruction but F1 chooses to penalise teams who do that now.

The final straws for me were KERS and DRS. This new arrangement just means that I get my F1 from the 6 o'clock news.

I won't pay to listen to the current things at the track so why would I pay to watch them on my TV?

There's plenty of other fuel burning to watch.

P.S. Darrell Eastlake is a legend. So sorry that he is not doing well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmb8PoxzNsk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D604sHmcPI4)

CNR
18th March 2015, 06:54
highlights package may make f1 better if it is all that boring as melbourne was

Rollo
18th March 2015, 07:26
Don't hate Murdoch, its not his doing.

Oh?
James Packer and Lachlan Murdoch are listed as owning 17.88% of Ten Network Holdings Ltd.
Lachlan Murdoch who was the acting CEO, left to become co-chairman of News Corp, which is the 100% owner of Fox Sports Pty Limited.

Who has the rights to every race in 2015?
The prosecution rests.

Whyzars
18th March 2015, 08:43
Oh?
James Packer and Lachlan Murdoch are listed as owning 17.88% of Ten Network Holdings Ltd.
Lachlan Murdoch who was the acting CEO, left to become co-chairman of News Corp, which is the 100% owner of Fox Sports Pty Limited.

Who has the rights to every race in 2015?
The prosecution rests.

That same ownership you noted has provided F1 to Australians on free to air for many years - often at ungodly hours but it was always available. Murdoch is pure business and has nothing to do with F1. He has to get a return from somewhere.

The blame lies squarely with the respective sports administration bodies. Rather than seeing their success in the widest audience, they sell rights exclusively and to the highest bidder.

This is not in the long term interests of any sport.

Those highest bidders must've had a veritable fit last year when they heard the new cars. How were the attendance figures in Melbourne compared to 2014?

Pay TV will dump F1 as soon as its not viable and its quite possible that F1 will generate exactly zero new customers for Foxtel. My tip - if the only option was a 50cent piece and an ice cream for F1 exclusive rights, F1 would take it. Media bidding wars for sports are a joke.

Sport is successful when lots of people are interested in it.

F1 may not learn this until it has the same viewing audience as polo.

Rollo
18th March 2015, 13:19
That same ownership you noted has provided F1 to Australians on free to air for many years - often at ungodly hours but it was always available. Murdoch is pure business and has nothing to do with F1. He has to get a return from somewhere.

"many years"

Consolidated Press Holdings (James Packer) acquired that chunk in 2010. Murdoch stepped in in 2011.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-02-23/ten-ceo-sacked-lachlan-murdoch-steps-in/1954474?section=justin
In a statement to the ASX, Ten's chairman Brian Long said Mr Murdoch accepted the position of acting CEO at the unanimous request of the board.
Mr Murdoch will remain in the position while the company undertakes an executive search for a new CEO.

- ABC News, 23 Feb 2011

Why else would Murdoch want a chunk of a network that was doing badly if it wasn't to pluck the eyes out of its "asset" register?

The only GP on the anti-siphoning list is the Australian GP; even then, that is subject to change if people can convince the government.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2010L03383
12.1 Each race in the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile Formula 1 World Championship (Grand Prix) held in Australia.
- Broadcasting Services Act 1992, Broadcasting Services (Events) Notice (No. 1) 2010

Actually:
12.3 Each race in the V8 Supercar Championship Series, including the Bathurst 1000.

There is no "V8 Supercar Championship Series" anymore. It has changed its name; which helpfully has pulled it off the anti-siphoning list as well. That's another win for Fox Sports just there.

Rollo
20th April 2015, 04:18
"The John Logie Baird Television Was Better in 1984 Memorial Cup" at the end of Round 2 looks like this:

18 Hamilton
10 Rosberg
6 Vettel
6 Raikkonen
3 Massa
3 Bottas
2 Nasr
2 Riccardo

28 Mercedes
12 Ferrari
6 Williams
2 Sauber
2 Red Bull

The next race is in Monaco.
You probably thought that there's probably another GP in between. Nope.

Rollo
25th May 2015, 02:20
"The John Logie Baird Television Was Better in 1984 Memorial Cup" at the end of Round 3 looks like this:

22 Hamilton
19 Rosberg
12 Vettel
7 Raikkonen
5 Riccardo
3 Massa
3 Bottas
3 Kyvat
2 Nasr

41 Mercedes
19 Ferrari
7 Red Bull
6 Williams
2 Sauber

I don't care how good you claim to be McLaren. The fact is that under the old scoring system, even Minardi managed to pick up points occasionally. You've not done that this year.

Warriwa
25th May 2015, 06:29
I'm still irritated that this was the first race broadcast live since Australia.

AAReagles
25th May 2015, 08:10
I won't ever pay to watch a modern F1 race. F1 is supposed to be about engines being pushed to the point of destruction...

Well now it's the fans being pushed to the point of destruction, so to speak. And no, I have not, nor will I ever pay to watch the current product either.

I discovered that the price of satillite itself is not worth the admission to 6-8 minute segments of commercial features during a program. Not to mention all the useless channels included in the package.

So long F1, I hardly knew ye.

steveaki13
25th May 2015, 10:41
I think in simple terms F1 needs to be allowed to become a proper motorsport again. Not a green demonstration of how road cars could work.

journeyman racer
30th May 2015, 02:12
Well. As someone who's not paying for foxtel, but has easy access to it. Foxtel has the Sky commentry That was the first race I saw from the BBC commentary on C10. I was thinking of heading out to watch the race, despite it being screened at home, but couldn't be bothered.

Having watched the BBC broadcast. There is no question Ben Edwards is by far the superior commentator to David Croft. This discourages me from purchasing Foxtel, if it means Croft is the commentator. Brundle isn't that big a deal to listen to, and it was
refreshing for me to listen to Coulthard as expert commentator.

I think in simple terms F1 needs to be allowed to become a proper motorsport again. Not a green demonstration of how road cars could work.
That is proper motorsport though.

Rollo
22nd June 2015, 02:13
"The John Logie Baird Television Was Better in 1984 Memorial Cup" at the end of Round 4 looks like this:

28 Hamilton
28 Rosberg
15 Vettel
7 Raikkonen
7 Massa
5 Riccardo
5 Bottas
3 Kyvat
2 Nasr
1 Hulkenburg

56 Mercedes
22 Ferrari
12 Williams
7 Red Bull
2 Sauber
1 Force India

Rollo
24th August 2015, 03:05
"The John Logie Baird Television Was Better in 1984 Memorial Cup" at the end of Round 5 at Spa looks like this:

37 Hamilton
34 Rosberg
15 Vettel
8 Massa
7 Raikkonen
6 Kyvat
5 Riccardo
5 Bottas
4 Grosjean
2 Perez
2 Nasr
1 Hulkenburg

71 Mercedes
22 Ferrari
13 Williams
10 Red Bull
4 Lotus
3 Force India
2 Sauber

I also have to say that I might have gone to watch the V8Supercars race at Eastern Creek this weekend had I known it was on. Eastern Creek is less than 5 miles from my house.
The first that I heard about it was the hour highlight at 08:30pm, some three hours after everyone had already shut up shop.

Rollo
21st September 2015, 02:23
"The John Logie Baird Television Was Better in 1984 Memorial Cup" at the end of Round 5 at Spa looks like this:

37 Hamilton
37 Rosberg
24 Vettel
8 Massa
11 Riccardo
11 Raikkonen
7 Kyvat
7 Bottas
4 Grosjean
2 Perez
2 Nasr
1 Hulkenburg

74 Mercedes
35 Ferrari
17 Red Bull
15 Williams
4 Lotus
3 Force India
2 Sauber

Rollo
2nd November 2015, 00:23
"The John Logie Baird Television Was Better in 1984 Memorial Cup" at the end of Round 8 in Mexico looks like this:

52 Hamilton
46 Rosberg
30 Vettel
13 Bottas
13 Ricciardo
12 Kyvat
12 Massa
11 Raikkonen
6 Perez
4 Grosjean
3 Nasr
1 Hulkenburg

98 Mercedes
41 Ferrari
25 Red Bull
23 Williams
7 Force India
4 Lotus
3 Sauber

Mexico is worse than Brazil for some odd reason. Mexico starts at 06:00am AEST which means that I only get to see the first 30 minuted before I jump a rattler and go off to work.

Rollo
30th November 2015, 00:17
Race Results:
1. Rosberg - Mercedes
2. Hamilton - Mercedes
3. Raikkonen - Ferrari
4. Vettel - Ferrari
5. Perez - Force India
6. Ricciardo - Red Bull

"The John Logie Baird Television Was Better in 1984 Memorial Cup" at the end of Round 9 in the UAE looks like this:

58 Hamilton
55 Rosberg
33 Vettel
15 Raikkonen
14 Ricciardo
13 Bottas
12 Kyvat
12 Massa
8 Perez
4 Grosjean
3 Nasr
1 Hulkenburg

113 Mercedes
48 Ferrari
26 Red Bull
23 Williams
9 Force India
4 Lotus
3 Sauber

We only got 9 live races thanks to Fox Sports. A big thank you to News Corp who have rendered free-to-air television worse than 1984; without improving anything.