PDA

View Full Version : Jean Pierre Beltoise RIP

D-Type
5th January 2015, 22:38
Jean Pierre Beltoise died today aged 77 http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117273. He is mostly remembered for his win in the 1972 Monaco GP, often described as the 'wettest GP ever'

D28
6th January 2015, 18:38
Anyone watching JPB's total domination at Monaco 72 could assume it portended more victories to come. Although he stayed with BRM for another 2 years and had a 2nd, this was to be it for F1. This was also BRM's last win, so the fault did not lie with JPB.
Sad to see time catching up to many GP drivers of that era.

Starter
6th January 2015, 23:55
Those were the days when it took real balls to drive those cars at the limit on the tracks of the time. The notice of his death made me find a video of the drive at Monaco. Incredible!!

jens
13th January 2015, 21:53
Regarding J-P Beltoise F1 career - an enigma?

What he did reminds a bit of Panis to be honest. Panis achieved his solitary F1 win in the same way - a great drive in wet conditions at Monaco. I know Panis was lucky that day with multiple retirements in front of him, but his drive/performance/speed itself was nonetheless very good given the machinery (midfield Ligier).

BDunnell
20th January 2015, 12:51
Regarding J-P Beltoise F1 career - an enigma?

What he did reminds a bit of Panis to be honest. Panis achieved his solitary F1 win in the same way - a great drive in wet conditions at Monaco. I know Panis was lucky that day with multiple retirements in front of him, but his drive/performance/speed itself was nonetheless very good given the machinery (midfield Ligier).

I think it's a very fair comparison; also, Panis would, I feel, have achieved much more in F1 had it not been for his injury — just like Beltoise. And you're right, it was a super drive at Monaco in '96, though we're in danger of drifting off-topic.

journeyman racer
1st February 2015, 04:03
I'm embarrassed to have only known til recently and to miss this thread. RIP.