PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins...

Jefe Máximo
18th April 2007, 18:41
Rising star Lewis Hamilton could go on to become the greatest racing driver of all time, according to his McLaren team chief executive Martin Whitmarsh.

The 22-year-old has become the first driver in Formula One history to score podiums in his first three races.

"It's too early to analyse but if the trend continues there is no reason why he could not become the greatest driver ever," Whitmarsh told the Guardian.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6566719.stm

I love the hype. So do Fangio and co..

GridGirl
18th April 2007, 18:46
I'm bored of the media hype already. They will be the first ones to shoot him down in a week, month, year etc.

Mp3 Astra
18th April 2007, 18:49
It's exciting to have someone who seems to be so good, but the British media are going slightly mad. Even my local paper featured him (he comes from a local town :D ).
I just keep thinking it's too good to be true and something will go horribly wrong. I'm usually optimistic but, as I say, it just seems too good to be true!

Jefe Máximo
18th April 2007, 18:52
To be honest, I will be overjoyed if/when Alonso starts thwacking him..

This is exactly the kind of hype that does my head in. We get it here in India with our cricketers, and any person who does the slightest thing of note. They go on and on and on about it, analysing, hypothesising..

A sign of a a huge inferiority complex if you ask me..

Ian McC
18th April 2007, 20:26

Woah, hold on there, don't start the backlash just yet! :p :

truefan72
18th April 2007, 20:34

This is exactly the kind of hype that does my head in. We get it here in India with our cricketers, and any person who does the slightest thing of note. They go on and on and on about it, analysing, hypothesising..

A sign of a a huge inferiority complex if you ask me..

And what's that got to do with Hamilton's performance to date?
What would you have the media talk about instead?
So they should dismiss the biggest story in F1 this year to focus on what?

the inferiorty complex that comes out most obviously is yours.

jso1985
18th April 2007, 20:34
well I think it has gone too far!

alright he made an excellent start, he's surely on his way to be a great driver, but greatest driver ever? please! :rolleyes: the way to greatness is very long, 3 races proves nothing!(and that's coming from a McLaren fan)

please Britih press don't over-hype and screw the guy like you did with Button!

ioan
18th April 2007, 20:47
These 3 and 4 week long breaks don't help the situation either. Those poor uninspired (usually) journos have to write about something appealing, don't they?!

Hazell B
18th April 2007, 21:43
Woah, hold on there, don't start the backlash just yet! :p :

It's already started among semi-fans :mark:

Twice last sunday plant customers of mine who know I enjoy racing told me they thought Lewis Hamilton wasn't even driving the car during races.

Yes, for some utterly unexplained reason they both thought as he didn't take his helmet off instantly after being placed he must be another driver. Neither knew who the driver was, just that the face we see in the newspapers must be some mildly talented kid and the actual car driver a far older, better racer :rolleyes:

They both said with him getting so much news coverage, he must be making Beckham-style cash out of endorsements and have no time to really race!

Daika
18th April 2007, 21:44
Well it is nothing new, remember what they say about Button?? I see his enormous talent after three races. He could become the greatest of all time or not. Let's judge him after a period of 5 years then we can say if he belongs there (schumacher, senna, prost). Now it is just PR talk from Martin Whitmarsh. I dont really think it make any sense for anybody to claim that he is going to be the best of all time after 3, i repeat great 3 races. Adversity is bount to happen. He could be trapped in a very slow/unreliable Mclaren, like mclaren has been for the past 8/9 years (last title 1999 Hakkinnen).

soupy
18th April 2007, 21:50
I think this article from sniff petrol sums the whole Hamilton thing up nicely...

Lewis Hamilton may be just 22 years old but the Hertfordshire born McLaren driver has already shown a skill and maturity way above his years. His first race in the premier league of motorsport was an object lesson in maturity and determination, even showing team mate Fernando Alonso a thing or two along the way. Hamilton's drive in Australia was in many ways reminiscent of the debut of the young Spaniard himself in its cool assurance. In other ways, the 18 year old Hertfordshire driver showed flashes of a youthful Michael Schumacher in his steely race craft and ferocious pace, belying his young years and humble background. But as I watched the talented 13 year old with baited breath - imagining that my cautious excitement was echoed all across his home county of Hertfordshire - I was also reminded of a boyish talent that had once wowed the F1 circus; I'm talking of course about the great Ayrton Senna. In many ways Hamilton is at least the equal of the late Brazilian maestro, although I think it's also not an exaggeration to say that in his maiden performance down under the bright 11 year old Hertfordshire star from the humble background also showed flashes of genius that immediately reminded old hands around the paddock of none other than the immortal Juan Manuel Fangio. Yet, even the old master himself might struggle to match the quiet confidence, the calm brilliance, the deceptive but ever present speed of the masterful 2 year old from the humble Hertfordshire background who, on that hot day in Melbourne, wowed the crowds and seasoned Formula 1 critics alike with a performance that was quite simply like nothing we have seen since another young hopeful first came onto a scene not dissimilar to that of international motorsport many, many years ago, going by the name of Jesus Christ. Yes, Lewis Hamilton has undoubtedly assured a ready place in the F1 firmament of stars, he is the future of this sport and the future of Britain and I love him and I want to hold him and kiss him and take care of him and feel his lovely short hair and his lovely strong arms and I want to touch him and caress him and one day I want to have his beautiful babies. At least until he makes a mistake later in the season, then I might change my mind.

GridGirl
18th April 2007, 22:25
Well why everyone still loves him, he better get on and make sure he's got a fair bit of merchandise available to fans. I can see the massive queues to buy Button stuff on the Honda stand will be replaced by the rush to get Hamilton merchandise from Mercedes.

Jefe Máximo
18th April 2007, 22:26
And what's that got to do with Hamilton's performance to date?

Ask Martin Whitmarsh.

akv89
18th April 2007, 23:24
Even Fernando Alonso, the two-time world champion teammate (anybody still remember him?), has a long way before he proves himself to be amongst the best all time. It takes an entire career, not 3 races, to completely understand a driver's ability.
Now that I've said that, I do believe that he has the potential to be the next best thing. He is like the Roger Federer of Formula One, i.e. a tremendous talent and also a very likeable person.

Zico
18th April 2007, 23:41
Even Fernando Alonso, the two-time world champion teammate (anybody still remember him?), has a long way before he proves himself to be amongst the best all time. It takes an entire career, not 3 races, to completely understand a driver's ability.
Now that I've said that, I do believe that he has the potential to be the next best thing. He is like the Roger Federer of Formula One, i.e. a tremendous talent and also a very likeable person.

Totally agree... Its even still too early to compare him to Federer. If he shows that form over the rest of the season then yeah. His results have been breathtaking to date. I just hope he doesnt become a victim of his own success

Ian McC
19th April 2007, 00:02
It's already started among semi-fans :mark:

Twice last sunday plant customers of mine who know I enjoy racing told me they thought Lewis Hamilton wasn't even driving the car during races.

Yes, for some utterly unexplained reason they both thought as he didn't take his helmet off instantly after being placed he must be another driver. Neither knew who the driver was, just that the face we see in the newspapers must be some mildly talented kid and the actual car driver a far older, better racer :rolleyes:

They both said with him getting so much news coverage, he must be making Beckham-style cash out of endorsements and have no time to really race!

Oh My God!

You means he's the Stig!!!?? :eek:

Ian McC
19th April 2007, 00:04
Well he will continue to race well, whatever the press (or any of us) say about him :)

Timber
19th April 2007, 00:19
even showing team mate Fernando Alonso a thing or two along the way.

What were they ??? Waving in front of him at the start of the race ?

PSfan
19th April 2007, 04:59
Just a little off topic, what are the chances of Hamilton beating Button's record for most podiums in a season without a win?

3 down 7 more to tie... :p :

Storm
19th April 2007, 07:49
Let him win a race first and consistently beat his 2 time world champ team-mate before he can be called anywhere close to the greatest driver ever blah blah.

Hamilton of course has a had a good start but we will have to see how he goes when the car isn't as good...most people statred their careers in a Minardi..he started in a McLaren.

Daika
19th April 2007, 10:14
Totally agree... Its even still too early to compare him to Federer. If he shows that form over the rest of the season then yeah. His results have been breathtaking to date. I just hope he doesnt become a victim of his own success

How about winning a grand slam first?

CarlMetro
19th April 2007, 10:19
In a way it is a shame that Lewis has gotten off to such a fantastic start. All the media hype, and the extra pressure that places on him, is not good for one so young. The biggest test will be when he makes a mistake or doesn't make it to the podium and how much the media jump on him. God forbid that MacLaren make some changes to the car that make it a dog to drive for a couple of races and Lewis finishes outside the points.

I think he has talent. I have seen him trackside in Formula Renault UK and GP2, as well as seeing him in some of his early cart races on TV, and I have always thought that he had something special, something which made him stand out from other drivers, especially in the one-make series, but whether he will be the greatest of all time is a long, long way from being decided.

He has made a phenominal start to his F1 career, better than any driver previous in fact, but he's only three races into a very long season. I hope he can keep this form going and then maybe one day we'll all be able to say that we watched the first races of the world's 2nd/3rd/4th greatest driver ever.

Ranger
19th April 2007, 13:58
He's a great driver, but for god's sake I wish everyone would calm the **** down. Most F1 sites after the Bahrain and Sepang races had Lewis' mug as the main pictire despite the fact that he hasn't won anything in F1 yet... apart from slightly sensationalist media attention and fanatics.

Lewis has got his career off to a flying start but I'm kind of wishing he has an accident or something else that disrupts his season.

That may sound harsh, but maybe we could see an end to the Hamilton honeymoon that has gripped the media and maybe we could actually see press related to the racing, and not the driver.

Secondly, he is a rookie. He NEEDS to make mistakes. For two reasons - he needs to learn in Formula 1 and I fear that if he somehow scores in the top 2 in championship points then the rest of his career may turn into one big long recession a la Villeneuve. That would be the worst case scenario for one of the brightest rookies in years.

jens
19th April 2007, 14:02
Unlike some others I don't wish any accidents for Lewis. One of my biggest hopes before this season was that some other guys will come and prove that Alonso and Räikkönen are not drivers "from another planet" and now Lewis, Felipe and Nick are in position to try to prove those statements wrong. :)

Ranger
19th April 2007, 14:15
One of my biggest hopes before this season was that some other guys will come and prove that Alonso and Räikkönen are not drivers "from another planet"
Considering every media outlet seems to think Lewis is from another planet at the moment... Maybe you got more than you bargained for!

leopard
23rd April 2007, 05:25
Unlike some others I don't wish any accidents for Lewis.
Who were wishing that?...

DimitraF1
23rd April 2007, 12:15
2007 season is a low-quality season from my point of view.withoun michael push all of them to the limits we will have many winners this season,and a rookie like Hamilton ,5 years ago it would be a joke to drive for a top team.but this days f1 has become advertisting company,so a product that sells also can drive :P

Valve Bounce
23rd April 2007, 12:29
2007 season is a low-quality season from my point of view.withoun michael push all of them to the limits we will have many winners this season,and a rookie like Hamilton ,5 years ago it would be a joke to drive for a top team.but this days f1 has become advertisting company,so a product that sells also can drive :P

Are you suggesting Lewis Hamilton's success so far this year is because he is a cute walking billboard? :p :

Ranger
23rd April 2007, 12:36
so a product that sells also can drive :P

In Hamilton's case he's a product that can (first and foremost) drive, then can also sell as he is a pretty marketable guy.

McLaren and Vodafone scored a beauty when they realised he's pretty damn good at both.

ShiftingGears
23rd April 2007, 12:43

I think they're all pushing each other to their limits just fine. Most drivers out there have a point to prove, Webber wants to thump Coulthard because he doesn't want to be seen losing to what many call a 'has been', Coulthard wants to prove he isn't a has been, Heidfeld wants to assert himself as team leader at BMW, Kubica wants to beat his experienced teammate to market himself as a very good young driver, Massa vs Kimi etc etc. We have teammate battles in the frontrunning teams, Heidfeld driving the wheels off the BMW, a fairly unpredictable midfield, customer engine teams beating the factory teams...

I'm not sure what you're talking about with "low quality" either. In 2003 were about 8 different winners in that season when Schumacher was racing. Come off it.

If Hamilton came along in another 5 years you'd still say that 5 years ago (ie now) it would be a joke to drive for a top team. He's lucky that McLarens only options at the time of his signing were himself and Pedro, and he's lucky that he got Dennis' attention when he was 12, and he's lucky to be so collected both inside the car and out. But you make your own luck in F1 ;)

BTW Villeneuve had his first season in the 1996 Williams, so don't say "it would be considered a joke then".

For me, having Schumacher not on the grid simply means that the benchmark has changed to Alonso, who is now the most successful driver in F1.

Sorry about the rant :p :

DimitraF1
23rd April 2007, 14:12
who thinks that if schumacher was driving this year was going to be at the same points in the championship as alonso,lewis ans kimi? my prediction is 3 wins in 3 races so far..they all lack in something.. maybe talent? not talent.. something else...

Valve Bounce
23rd April 2007, 14:55
who thinks that if schumacher was driving this year was going to be at the same points in the championship as alonso,lewis ans kimi? my prediction is 3 wins in 3 races so far..they all lack in something.. maybe talent? not talent.. something else...

Absolutely!! SchM would be 3 wins up on these no hopers. I mean who would even dream that Fernando or Massa or Kimi could beat SchM? Ridigilis!! :rolleyes:

race aficionado
23rd April 2007, 17:07
. . . they all lack in something.. maybe talent? not talent.. something else...

DimitraF1.
What they lack is that they are not Michael Schumacher and that has proven to be very tough for some MS fans.

Get over it, he is gone and all you can hope for is that he comes back some day as is being now flaunted on some news sights.

If you are a true fan of racing, enjoy this moment - it is a treat and yes both our fave drivers are not involved but we are witnessing a unique and wondeful scenario.

enjoy!

:s mokin:

Bezza
23rd April 2007, 19:46
I both like and dislike the hype in Lewis Hamilton's instance.

I like the fact that F1 is being concentrated on again in the papers, rather than ignored unless Button wins (so, just the once).

However, I dislike the way they make him out as potentially the greatest driver ever, after just three races.

Lewis is clearly brilliant, but lets not get carried away. Three races, three podiums is fantastic - however not many rookies have had such a good car for their debut season. Look at the current grid:

Alonso - started at Minardi
Raikkonen - started at Sauber
Massa - started at Sauber
Heidfeld - started at Prost
Fisi - started at Minardi
Trulli - started at Minardi
Ralf - started at Jordan

etc etc!

baker
23rd April 2007, 20:10
If you are a true fan of racing, enjoy this moment - it is a treat and yes both our fave drivers are not involved but we are witnessing a unique and wondeful scenario.

enjoy!

:up: I agree, this is a moment to be savoured. We have 2 evenly-matched teams and 4 evenly-matched drivers battling for both championships. IF this continues this promises to be the most exciting season for years.

baker
23rd April 2007, 20:24
As far as the Lewis hype is concerned: MOST of what I have read about him since his debut has been factually accurate and not what I would call hype at all. Most "F1 people" who have expressed an opinion have basically said "he's made a great start, and CAN achieve great things in the future IF he continues as he's started." There's a world of difference between remarks like that and simply saying "He will be the greatest driver of all time".

Anyway the sooner the next grand prix the better and we can concentrate on the racing instead of who said what and what they meant by it. Whose great idea was it to have a 4 week gap between races anyway? :mad:

tinchote
23rd April 2007, 21:19
First three races: (grid), finish

A. Prost: (12) 6, (13) 5, (19) retired
A. Senna: (16) retired, (13) 6, (19) 6
M. Schumacher: (7) retired, (7) 5, (10) 6

On the other hand, there is this driver who won his first race ever in a Ferrari, and I don't remember his name.

Too early to say anything other than the guy is a good prospect.

DimitraF1
23rd April 2007, 23:42
shinji nakano?:P

ArrowsFA1
24th April 2007, 08:08
Too early to say anything other than the guy is a good prospect.
That's certainly true. Everything being said about Hamilton has to be balanced against the number potential 'greats' we've seen come and go over the years. But there's just a feeling about this guy that he's the genuine article. The same was thought of the likes of Senna and Schumacher - there was a sense of inevitability that they would achieve great things in the sport before they even reached F1.

truefan72
24th April 2007, 09:04
DimitraF1.
What they lack is that they are not Michael Schumacher and that has proven to be very tough for some MS fans.

Get over it, he is gone and all you can hope for is that he comes back some day as is being now flaunted on some news sights.

enjoy!

very well said :)

truefan72
24th April 2007, 09:33
to add to my previous post,

no one would be talking about Hamilton if he was coming in positions 5-10, people would say solid but not spectacular, should have gone with PDLR, needs to get more out of the car if Alonso is winning races with it, etc, etc, etc. In fact prior to the season, no matter what people thought of McClaren, they had Alonso pegged for winning races and challenging for the WDC. They thought Hamilton would struggle initially with the rigors of F1 as a rookie, the expectations and having the reigning 2 time WDC as his teammate.

1. Now that he has surpassed all these expectations and is tied for the lead in the WDC, people are quick to point out that it's the car rather than him.

2. Commenting that he hasn't paid his dues in a lowly team. This is an absurd argument. If he was as talented, gifted, quick, efficient and possession of great race craftsmanship, then why would a top team pass on him. It reminds me of the JV situation. I think a lot of people have trouble/or are jealous of those drivers who instantly step into the top teams. Imagine if Alonso stepped right into Ferrari, would the same argument hold up?

3. Covering the best story in F1 this year isn't hype, it is good journalism. I am not sure what you want the F1 press core to be writing about instead. Unless they want to loose an audience, readership, etc. They better feed the public's appetite to knowing this guy better. He seems to be handling it well, why can't the rest fo you.

4. There might be a hint of discrimination here by the critics. Not overt and not full blown, but a little put off that LH has made such inroads into F1 so quickly while their compatriot is not being talked about in the press. The fact that LH is all the rave right now and the challenge in accepting him in their inner sanctum of respect, admiration and perception as an outstanding driver.

4. With today's media outlets, cable, magazines, especially the internet, it just provides an insane amount of channels to discuss/talk/report and herald in this young Lad. The fact I'm even discussing this on a board wasn't really around 10-15 years ago. Imagine how JV would have been reported with today’s media outlets. (case and point Button) . Fan rings, Podcasts, personal websites, blogs, and video sites all heap on the huge media outlets ready and available for the public. It is to the point where balanced journalism isn't required anymore and the practice of favoritism, criticism and adulation seem to be the norm. Everyone passes the buck on fair and balanced journalism.

In conclusion, Hamilton doesn’t control the media and therefore should not be blamed for their content. Take your issue up with the magazine, website, etc and not on LH. All he has done so for is to far exceed anybody's expectations and already in his 3rd race; write a bit of history, and challenge for the WDC.

Whatever you think, you must concede that that is impressive and worth writing/talking about.

ioan
24th April 2007, 10:17
On the other hand, there is this driver who won his first race ever in a Ferrari, and I don't remember his name.

Baghetti I think it's his name.

Valve Bounce
24th April 2007, 10:37
Did you guys read my post in the other Hamilton thread? :D

tinchote
24th April 2007, 10:52
That's certainly true. Everything being said about Hamilton has to be balanced against the number potential 'greats' we've seen come and go over the years. But there's just a feeling about this guy that he's the genuine article. The same was thought of the likes of Senna and Schumacher - there was a sense of inevitability that they would achieve great things in the sport before they even reached F1.

I agree with that. But I would have to add that there have been other drivers who came to F1 looking almost as very good prospects, and they didn't really cut it. Alesi would be the typical example.

Valve Bounce
24th April 2007, 11:27
I agree with that. But I would have to add that there have been other drivers who came to F1 looking almost as very good prospects, and they didn't really cut it. Alesi would be the typical example.

............and bunsen? :p :

F1boat
24th April 2007, 11:35
Or Montoya, I was sure, that he'd be a world champion.

ArrowsFA1
24th April 2007, 12:22
Jan Magnussen.

Valve Bounce
24th April 2007, 12:55
Or Montoya, I was sure, that he'd be a world champion.

So was I - I had posted that JPM's arrival in F1 brought a breath of fresh air to the competition. When he was on song, he was unbeatable; but so many things happened to dampen his spirits and end his career in F1. I would have loved to have seen him drive for Ferrari.

BeansBeansBeans
24th April 2007, 12:57
Jan Magnussen.

Many parallels can be drawn between Magnussen and Hamilton. Both were devastatingly quick and dominant in the lower formulae, both were tipped for world domination before they even turned a wheel in a Grand Prix car and of course both were given their F1 debuts by McLaren. One crucial difference is that Lewis's temperament seems better suited to the job of being a 21st century F1 driver, than the fun-loving, smoking Dane.

Once, whilst waiting at an airport with the McLaren team, Magnussens bulging suitcase burst open, to reveal all his possessions scrunched together haphazardly. Although it sounds trivial, the ever-fastidious Ron Dennis often cites this incident as an early indicator that Magnussen would never make it in F1. As we know, Magnussen went on to endure 2 difficult seasons with Stewart, before leaving F1 at the age of 24 (?) to race sportscars, where he has acheived some success.

ClarkFan
24th April 2007, 18:37
Baghetti I think it's his name.

Giancarlo Baghetti, who had Ferrari's #4 entry. Outdrafted Dan Gurney's Porsched at Reims after the top Ferrari drivers (von Trips, Hill and Richie Ginther) had problems. Of course, the 156 had a 30 bhp advantage on every other car in the field on a pure speed track.

Baghetti was lost in the shuffle with the Rodriguez brothers at Ferrari and finished his career with the decision to join Hill at ATS in 1963. With today's team structures, there is little danger of that kind of thing happening to Hamilton.

ClarkFan