PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton to McLaren

raybak
8th October 2014, 12:50
Word out there is that Hamilton has signed for McLaren for next year, interesting to see where Alonso goes?

Ray

AndyL
8th October 2014, 12:58
Word out there is that Hamilton has signed for McLaren for next year, interesting to see where Alonso goes?

Ray

Interesting! In the recent past the prevalence of this rumour has been directly proportional to Hamilton's defecit behind Rosberg in the points standings. If it's coming up again while Hamilton is ahead in the championship, there must be something to it :) Source?

This wouldn't stop Alonso going to McLaren of course. If we can believe he can patch up his differences with Ron, then surely he could also do so with Lewis.

I live within an H-bomb blast radius of the McLaren Technology Centre so I'm going to start digging an Anderson shelter.

raybak
8th October 2014, 13:08
Here's the source for the info http://www.f1today.net/en/news/hamilton-signs-for-mclaren-for-2015

airshifter
8th October 2014, 13:30
Vettel moving seems strange to me, but for Lewis to move from the best car on the grid would be stranger still. I'll believe it when I see it, or at least until he admits it.

WUff1
8th October 2014, 13:33
Honda is entering McLaren next year, so maybe that could be a reason.

zako85
8th October 2014, 13:59
Alonso to IndyCar. You heard it here first.

airshifter
8th October 2014, 14:18

After going full circle from Indy to F1 to NASCAR and back to Indy, Montoya seems happen and has been back near the top at times. Stranger things have happened, and now with the Haas relationship with Ferrari, it's at least enough to get a conspiracy theory started. :)

Mark
8th October 2014, 14:34
Hamilton back to McLaren would seem odd and indeed that would most likely rule out Alonso going there too.

Mia 01
8th October 2014, 15:33
Both Lewis and MacLaren denies this new rumour. Out there, there is humans who desperately, att all cost, wants Alonso in a Mercedes seat next year. I can understand them, next year is possible Alonsos last chance to score another WDC.

Firstgear
8th October 2014, 16:08
There's no way Lewis is going to McLaren, they'd make him shave his head. Did you see how much he was playing/combing his hair after the last race, just before the podium ceremony? The guy loves his hair. He'd never go Bac to Mac - just for them to make him shave it off.

Tazio
8th October 2014, 16:48
The Boss going back to McLaren next season is a bunch of baloney. :rolleyes:
Apparently Ferrari are prepared to pay off Fred's contract, in order to secure the services of Vettel, go figure! I guess it always has been Alonso holding the team back :crazy:
The latest rumors I've read are that Fred only wants a one year deal with McLaren, but they are insisting on two. My guess is that Zo will race next season for McLaren, be it a one or two year deal, after all it seems that F1 contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on anyway!

steveaki13
8th October 2014, 19:12
If Hamilton goes to Mclaren, then maybe Alonso will slot into Mercedes?

jens
8th October 2014, 20:43
Well, don't think that is going to happen. At least in 2015. This is pure sensationalist journalism. There are no good arguments as to why Hamilton should move away right now, while he is busy fighting for the championship.

Doc Austin
8th October 2014, 20:50
Six hours ago: Hamilton has 'no thoughts' of leaving Mercedes (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-has-no-thoughts-of-leaving-mercedes)

driveace
8th October 2014, 21:45
News was that Alonso had been offered 35 million Euro to go to McLaren ,but if Hamilton wins this years world championship ,then I anticipate Hamilton at McLaren and Alonso chasing another title going to Mercedes .Rosberg showed on Sunday that he missed his pit wall Driving Instructor !

The Black Knight
8th October 2014, 22:41
Actually I've heard today that Vettel is actually maybe going to McLaren next year and not Ferrari. Think about it, apart from Horner, no one has actually said Vettel is going to Ferrari. This could really chane the logistics of things. Alonso and Vettel in a Mac? Button to Ferrari?

I doubt Lewis will be going to Mac honestly but you'd never know.

Doc Austin
8th October 2014, 22:43
Again, Hamilton has 'no thoughts' of leaving Mercedes (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-has-no-thoughts-of-leaving-mercedes)

Meanwhile, This (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-in-tough-mclaren-negotiations-report) seems like a done deal

Storm
9th October 2014, 07:52
Hamilton back to McLaren would seem odd and indeed that would most likely rule out Alonso going there too.

It could also mean Alonso going to Mercedes!
Niki Lauda though seems to think Alonso to McLaren is a done deal.

driveace
9th October 2014, 15:58
Well if they can't decide who is going to Mac for 35 million ,then I will be available ! Wife can clean cars and mow lawns !!!

driveace
9th October 2014, 16:01
I recon Honda Will have them all with a leg up !
And Honda wisely waited a year to see how the engines of their competitors were going to go ,and expect the Honda engine to be planned similar with the Merc unit regards placing of turbo etc

Doc Austin
9th October 2014, 17:25
I recon Honda Will have them all with a leg up !
And Honda wisely waited a year to see how the engines of their competitors were going to go ,and expect the Honda engine to be planned similar with the Merc unit regards placing of turbo etc

I imagine that McLaren photographed their Merc from every possible angle, so Honda will have plenty to work with.

airshifter
10th October 2014, 12:26
Right now the McLaren has the best powerplant in the field, but they lag behind Williams and Mercedes terribly. Honda power won't fix everything, and Honda money doesn't make the chassis better. Look how long it took them last time.

As for the driver swaps, when it's official I'll believe the story. Until then it's hard to be sure where any of them are going.

steveaki13
10th October 2014, 18:38
rumours are Mercedes has also found a big step next season too. So they said on BBC radio coverage today

Mark
11th October 2014, 08:14
All of them will have done. It's just a question of who's is the best.

Tazio
12th October 2014, 08:33
:angel:

Jag_Warrior
13th October 2014, 21:44

That's not all! He'll also be bringing a supply of "screaming V-10's" to the IRL, Porsche and Ford as engine suppliers, a Monza race date and the Hawaiian Tropic girls to decorate the grid. For once, I will welcome the sight of Alonso. :D

dj_bytedisaster
14th October 2014, 02:02
I imagine that McLaren photographed their Merc from every possible angle, so Honda will have plenty to work with.

Honda is weeks behind schedule in their development, just like Renault was last year. I wouldn't hold my breath

Robinho
14th October 2014, 02:51
Honda is weeks behind schedule in their development, just like Renault was last year. I wouldn't hold my breath

Just like Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes were last year you mean.

dj_bytedisaster
14th October 2014, 04:13
Just like Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes were last year you mean.

Honda won't be competitive right from the start. Merc wasn't behind schedule last year, certainly not to the degree that Honda is lagging behind.

zako85
14th October 2014, 13:54
Honda won't be competitive right from the start. Merc wasn't behind schedule last year, certainly not to the degree that Honda is lagging behind.

My my personal world view, we can never make the deterministic statements like that. At best, we can make a probabilistic statement as in "it's highly likely that Honda will be lagging behind".

Anyways, I think that the success of McLaren Honda will also depend on how much McLaren and Honda are cooperating right _now_. If McLaren develops its chassis in obscurity separately from what Honda engineers are doing, the McLaren car can be another turd the next year. The comments of various exports through this seasons imply that engine packaging within the chassis is extremely important. That's why RBR is working more closely with Renault right now.

Jag_Warrior
21st October 2014, 18:42
With the loss of Vettel (and Newey, somewhat), does anyone think this might prompt RBR to make a meaningful investment in the Renault engine works? No doubt, young Ricciardo is currently getting the job done. But I think Red Bull had hopes that Vettel would be around to help them storm back to the front for the Constructors for years to come.

Thoughts?

The Black Knight
21st October 2014, 23:12
With the loss of Vettel (and Newey, somewhat), does anyone think this might prompt RBR to make a meaningful investment in the Renault engine works? No doubt, young Ricciardo is currently getting the job done. But I think Red Bull had hopes that Vettel would be around to help them storm back to the front for the Constructors for years to come.

Thoughts?

I think that this year RBR have found that their 4XWDC is a pretty average driver and that it's in better drivers they need to invest in for immediate performance updates rather than the Renault engine.

In truth, I don't think they will miss Vettel single one bit and I think you'll find that Ricciardo is more than capable of leading them back to the top along with Kvyat. They may have to invest in the engine to achieve this though but that decision will have nothing to do with Vettel leaving.

anfield5
22nd October 2014, 00:09
I think that this year RBR have found that their 4XWDC is a pretty average driver and that it's in better drivers they need to invest in for immediate performance updates rather than the Renault engine.

In truth, I don't think they will miss Vettel single one bit and I think you'll find that Ricciardo is more than capable of leading them back to the top along with Kvyat. They may have to invest in the engine to achieve this though but that decision will have nothing to do with Vettel leaving.

I am not hugely conviced that Vettel is in the absolute top tier of drivers, but he is certainly better than pretty average. His driving style perfectly suited the old cars with the exhaust blown diffusers etc, he hasn't been able to adapt to the new demands as might have been expected. Credit must go to Ricciardo for out-perfoming him, not the other way round.

Looking at the RBR chassis, it seems to be excellent, meaning that the REnault engine has been woeful. If Renault can up their game and get to within 10 hp behing Mercedes, Ricciardo and maybe Kvyatt will be able to challenge. Newey is standing aside but you can bet he will have input into the new car and he will have ensured his successor is well schooled in the Newey design philosophy.

kfzmeister
22nd October 2014, 05:40

I can't imagine that. Do you have a source? I thought that i read that their engine is already running. Surely, that means they're bench testing it already. My money says that they will have a good engine from the start. They are not new to this and surely have toyed with the concept for some time. I know the engines differ in design, but Honda has been supplying Indycar with V6 Turbos for some time now....

airshifter
22nd October 2014, 13:46

Thoughts?

It may be in the cards. With Newey stepping back, the aero package could fail to evolve, and right now that is where they seem to have the only advantage. Without more power, there are many tracks where they really have no chance of making it to the podium. I think the good finishes we have seen are much more a result of the handling and aero, and the drivers are working hard for them.

Being that neither driver can get the RB to the top of the field, I think they almost have to find more power. But I don't know that the loss of Vettel will really impact that any more than if he had stayed.

driveace
22nd October 2014, 14:27
I think Honda will be on the pace ,from strait out of the box .
Is there a chance that Neway goes off to Ferrari too to help Vettel ?
I also feel Vettel may struggle at Marrinello ,with the red car too .And Alonso ? Well if I was getting 35 mill a year then Mac looks tempting ,and Honda have the advantage of designing their engine with the turbo placed like Mercs away from the heat.All will be revealed at winter testing in Spain

Doc Austin
22nd October 2014, 19:58
I can't imagine that. Do you have a source?

Probably the same "insider" types who were supposedly claiming that Mercedes sabotaged heir own car in Singapore.

I thought that i read that their engine is already running.

I searched for the link and can't find it, but I read on MS.com that Ron Dennis says the motor is on schedule, performing up to expectations and is "a jewel." We have no way of knowing if that's true, but that's what he said.

My money says that they will have a good engine from the start. They are not new to this and surely have toyed with the concept for some time.

My guess is that they wanted to wait a year and see what they others could come up with. I certainly don't expect them to copy the Renault, but you can bet McLaren took pictures of their Mercedes engine from every angle possible. You know Honda has seen those.