PDA

View Full Version : Max Verstappen to drive for STR in 2015?

gm99
18th August 2014, 21:56
Red Bull's motorsport director Dr. Helmut Marko just announced on ServusTV (Red Bull's German-language TV channel) that Red Bull have signed up sixteen-year-old Max Verstappen, son of former Benetton and Arrows driver Jos "the Boss", with a view to have him in a Torro Rosso F1 race seat as early as next year, which would make him at then 17 years the youngest F1 driver ever.

Max was present as well, and I have to say that his father's pronounced self-confidence was passed well on ;)

steveaki13
18th August 2014, 22:31
That seems crazily young.

I would hope he could have a bit more build up. I mean Kimi came in after only about 17 car races, but surely that is unusual?

N. Jones
18th August 2014, 23:00
I just saw a post on the BBC Sport's Facebook page that Max will be driving for STR next season.
I think this mean that Vergne is gone because Kyvat has impressed so far.

steveaki13
18th August 2014, 23:11
I feel sorry for JEV. He has 11 points to Kyvat's 6 and yet Kyvat is raved about

gm99
18th August 2014, 23:26
Surely nothing to do with Russia having a GP, whereas France doesn't ;)

anfield5
18th August 2014, 23:27
Red Bull (STR) are in danger of making a mockery of F1. A kid with no experience no matter how good is NOT right for Formula 1. At 17 he is not mature enough to race at what is supposed to be the top level of motor sport.

No disrespect to young Max, he may very well be the first Dutch GP winner and even world champion, but this is absurd.

As to STR dumping JEV, that is equally stupid and short sighted. 12 months ago he was on the verge of joining RBR, and just look at what Daniel R. has done there this year.

truefan72
18th August 2014, 23:45
I've said it before and will say it again,
STR is a farce from a management level

the amount of talent they have wasted and mismanaged is now reaching absurd levels
they need to focus on producing better cars than playing musical chairs with drivers. The drivers aren't the problem, and dropping a 17 yr old into the deep end of pool, with no experience and a crap car is a recipe for disaster. If STR form holds true. Verstappen will be out of F1 by his 19th birthday and join the likes of Speed, Buemi, Alguersari, and others in the STR scrapheap.

If penske had any sense, they would/should sign Vergne and buemi for next year, and make rossi their 3rd driver.

gm99
19th August 2014, 00:10
I've said it before and will say it again,
STR is a farce from a management level

the amount of talent they have wasted and mismanaged is now reaching absurd levels
they need to focus on producing better cars than playing musical chairs with drivers. The drivers aren't the problem, and dropping a 17 yr old into the deep end of pool, with no experience and a crap car is a recipe for disaster. If STR form holds true. Verstappen will be out of F1 by his 19th birthday and join the likes of Speed, Buemi, Alguersari, and others in the STR scrapheap.

If penske had any sense, they would/should sign Vergne and buemi for next year, and make rossi their 3rd driver.

Or he'll progress to RBR and be a world champion or at least race winner before his 20th birthday ;) It's not like it has been all failure for STR - they have produced the likes of Vettel and Ricciardo, after all.
And while I agree that their treatment of drivers hasn't always been great, at least they give the opportunity to young drivers (which is the whole purpose of running a junior team, I suppose). With the exception of Speed and Bourdais, who really didn't impress much, every driver has been given at least two seasons of racing for STR. If they failed to sufficiently impress during that time, a younger, promising driver comes in - that's the way it goes.
As for a recipe for disaster - well, most people were saying that when Sauber gave Kimi a chance in 2000 and he did reasonably well, didn't he.

And why would Penske want to sign up Vergne & Buemi - for their IndyCar or NASCAR program? Or did you mean Haas Formula (who won't be joining F1 until 2016)?

truefan72
19th August 2014, 01:35
Or he'll progress to RBR and be a world champion or at least race winner before his 20th birthday ;) It's not like it has been all failure for STR - they have produced the likes of Vettel and Ricciardo, after all.
And while I agree that their treatment of drivers hasn't always been great, at least they give the opportunity to young drivers (which is the whole purpose of running a junior team, I suppose). With the exception of Speed and Bourdais, who really didn't impress much, every driver has been given at least two seasons of racing for STR. If they failed to sufficiently impress during that time, a younger, promising driver comes in - that's the way it goes.
As for a recipe for disaster - well, most people were saying that when Sauber gave Kimi a chance in 2000 and he did reasonably well, didn't he.

Ok, 17 is not 19, that is at least 2 years of proper racing difference.
Also, I have never disputed the quality of drivers Red Bull has had. I have argued against their ridiculous carousel and especially at STR a complete mismanagement of their drivers
Vergne could easily have been at RBR this year, and i suspect he would have given Vettel a run for his money as well.
And "impressing" at STR is purely down to the car. The year Vettel impressed, that STR car was a beast and more than capable of running in the top 10 and even challenging for podiums.
Ricciardo and Vergne were about equal last year in a dodgy car, so there is that. As long as the car is fragile, and sketchy, then there will never be a good measure of talent.
I stand by my prediction that in 2 years he will be out, at an age when most drivers would start considering entering GP2 and if they are lucky F1.

And why would Penske want to sign up Vergne & Buemi - for their IndyCar or NASCAR program? Or did you mean Haas Formula (who won't be joining F1 until 2016)?
Yes I meant Haas. was having a moment earlier, my apologies, lol :/

Storm
19th August 2014, 09:49
What has he exactly done to deserve a F1 seat at 17? Having an ex F1 driver as Dad? (I liked Verstappen!)
Has he won any series? (I read he is in some sort of F3 and winning a few races there - http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140818/motor/f1/max-verstappen-correra-en-f1-antes-de-cumplir-los-18_54413158948.html) Basically is there anything that has shown his skills as being outstanding to debut at such an age?

Eunos
19th August 2014, 09:54
For his sake I hope he impresses early, I hear good things about him, let's hope their true.

Feel bad for Vergne, slightly Underrated driver. Who knows?, had he been chosen to go to Red Bull instead of Ricciardo than maybe he would be the one with 2 wins to his name at this point.

If it fails there is always Formula E :P

henners88
19th August 2014, 10:18
There is no doubt Max is highly rated right now, but he is too young to be entering F1 IMO. My impression is Jean Eric is having a good season and has put in some good performances. Perhaps Vettel is looking elsewhere and he is joining Dan at Red Bull? I doubt it and this is perhaps another marketing opportunity rather than using the full potential of their driver program.

Storm
19th August 2014, 10:21
^Vettel is looking at? (unless Hamilton moves - again where?) there is no way Vettel is moving anywhere apart from Merc in the near future (unless Alonso moves too - where?) Actually all of them could swap places ;)

henners88
19th August 2014, 10:32
With enough promises from Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, Williams etc, a driver can move anywhere. We can't judge on current form because it differs hugely from season to season with some teams. Hamilton was off his skull for ditching McLaren back in 2012, yet ultimately the assurances he received came true. Drivers move, its the nature of the sport. Vettel may well stay, but he may make other plans, we just can't call it. :)

EightGear
19th August 2014, 10:39
What has he exactly done to deserve a F1 seat at 17? Having an ex F1 driver as Dad? (I liked Verstappen!)
Has he won any series? (I read he is in some sort of F3 and winning a few races there - http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140818/motor/f1/max-verstappen-correra-en-f1-antes-de-cumplir-los-18_54413158948.html) Basically is there anything that has shown his skills as being outstanding to debut at such an age?
Winning 6 F3 races on the trot in his first season of car racing, breaking lap records during his first tests in FR 2.0 and F3.

And typically F3 isn't a series where you get your first taste of racing in cars.

This is an interesting view about him: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115436

journeyman racer
19th August 2014, 11:08
Considering his Dad got thrown in the deep end early and unprepared, and his career suffered as a result. I'm surprised Jos has let this occur. Must be as dumb as a post?

If you were a part of the RB junior program, and were older than Max. Would it be worth quitting the program?

And typically F3 isn't a series where you get your first taste of racing in cars.

It's become more and more common, the last 10 or so years? Circuit racing has also become a softer discipline of driving, so F3 may not be a big deal anymore?

gm99
19th August 2014, 11:20
According to Marko, he is one of the few drivers ever who progressed from karting straight into F3 and had success there immediately. Apparently, Marko thinks he has got what it takes. And while I think the doctor has some personality flaws, I trust his judgement on spotting talent - he has discovered the likes of Montoya, Vettel or Ricciardo after all.

As for having Jos as his Dad, I doubt that's much of a criteria for Red Bull. They are notorious for caring only about the performance of their drivers, otherwise Carlos Sainz Jr. would have been given an F1 drive long ago ;)

journeyman racer
19th August 2014, 11:26
Apparently, Marko thinks he has got what it takes. And while I think the doctor has some personality flaws,
Some personality flaws???

I trust his judgement on spotting talent - he has discovered the likes of Montoya, Vettel or Ricciardo after all.
You're giving him credit for those three, especially Montoya? You're being kind. It's easy when RB spend tonnes of money.

gm99
19th August 2014, 11:48
You're giving him credit for those three, especially Montoya? You're being kind. It's easy when RB spend tonnes of money.

Why not Montoya? AFAIK, he made his first marks in international racing while driving for Marko's team in F3000 in 1997 (no Red Bull involved at that time, btw).

journeyman racer
19th August 2014, 11:56
Montoya was a known quantity before racing for Marko's F3000 team.

zako85
19th August 2014, 14:10
STR has made some seemingly absurd decisions when hiring or firing drivers, but there is one explanation for it. STR is not looking to find the next Sutil or even Di Resta. They want to stumble upon the next Vettel or Hamilton.

COD
19th August 2014, 22:23
I'm not saying he can't make it, because Räikkönen came with equally little experince and he did quite well.
But it is still hard to understand the timing. STR is a team supposed to be the first step to F1 and JEV has had his opportunities so it is logical that he goes. But when Red Bull has more experienced drivers like Sainz Jr. Who has impressed both on the 3,5 championship as well as on his test with F1, it is hard to understand why the rush to bring Verstappen to F1 with such hurry? They could have afforded to pay his drives in GP2 or 3,5 for a year or two.

GravettFan99
20th August 2014, 00:36
Two things I hope for:

1. I hope that he doesn't end up like poor Alguersuari, having his progression halted at STR and then thrown out. (which is looking to be the story with Vergne soon)

2. Good results for him, obviously, as long as they're not on the podium - he won't be able to enjoy the champagne! :p

GravettFan99
20th August 2014, 00:38
This story also seems quite like Sirotkin and Sauber, except that I consider Verstappen a better driver rather than mediocre, which is what Sirotkin is. Still, he needs more time before coming to F1.

airshifter
20th August 2014, 13:49
We won't know until it happens, and in the end it's just like any other "job" opportunity. Sometimes you get thrown directly into the deep end because someone wants you to do it and has faith in your ability to do so. And if you're that person, it's going to be really hard to pass it up unless you doubt your abilities.

I hope he does well. For me honestly speculation will remain just that as to any driver decision. Unless they ran spec cars we can only compare to the others on the team, and driver preference in handling might still favor one over another.

If they called me and offered me the job, I'd make sure the guys that fab the seats had room for my large (by F1 standards) butt. Then I'd say yes to the position. Well wait, I'd cram my large butt in regardless and not worry about it until after taking the position. :)

journeyman racer
20th August 2014, 15:10
I now vaguely remember reading an F1 magazine, where there was a side note announcing Max had been born!

N. Jones
20th August 2014, 16:16
Who knows? Me, I just shrug my shoulders and move on. If STR want to give all of their drivers a shot in F1 who's to blame them? They are a B team and nothing more.

anfield5
20th August 2014, 22:08
Who knows? Me, I just shrug my shoulders and move on. If STR want to give all of their drivers a shot in F1 who's to blame them? They are a B team and nothing more.

Quite true, but this is the very reason there should not be two related teams in F1. RedBull's 'B" team should be in GP2, that is what GP2 is there for.

Doc Austin
21st August 2014, 00:26
How can you not cheer for a guy who's named "Max Verstappen?"

Doc Austin
21st August 2014, 00:26
STR has made some seemingly absurd decisions when hiring or firing drivers, but there is one explanation for it. STR is not looking to find the next Sutil or even Di Resta. They want to stumble upon the next Vettel or Hamilton.

They seemed to be on to something with that Ricciardo fellow.

steveaki13
21st August 2014, 20:55
Get your bets in now.

Will Max have a better or worse career in F1 than his Dad?

heliocastroneves#3
21st August 2014, 21:46
Better. The kid is a future world champion! Go Max! Make the Dutchies proud!! If Max gets it done, I'm a very proud Dutchman. :D

anfield5
21st August 2014, 22:54
Get your bets in now.

Better.
In truth Jos was slightly out of depth, maybe because he made it into F1 too early, his career never really took off. His most memorable moments were 1. catching fire in the pits in 1994 at Benetton and 2. ramming Montoya up the gearbox for arrows in 2000. Hardly the stuff of legend.

Storm
22nd August 2014, 09:10
He did pass MS on the outside in a Grand Prix for Arrows..Malaysia probably :s

steveaki13
22nd August 2014, 20:33
I thought Jos always got a hard time. His racing for Arrows in 2000 & 2001 was good.

GravettFan99
23rd August 2014, 06:59
Better.

Surely anyone can manage their career better than Jos's.

jens
23rd August 2014, 15:40
Better.
In truth Jos was slightly out of depth, maybe because he made it into F1 too early, his career never really took off. His most memorable moments were 1. catching fire in the pits in 1994 at Benetton and 2. ramming Montoya up the gearbox for arrows in 2000. Hardly the stuff of legend.

Interesting how people remember things. If I recall Verstappen, the first thing that comes to my mind is when he was fighting for a podium position in Malaysia 2001 in an Arrows-Asiatech against superior cars.

As for Max... That's quite revolutionary for F1. Two years younger than the previous youngest (19). Obviously Helmut Marko believes he can be ready, otherwise they wouldn't have so decisively signed him up. But lingering doubts remain until we see him in action.

Tazio
23rd August 2014, 16:49
Get your bets in now.

Sorry Steve, I'm going to wait until I actually see him drive an F1 rig before I comment on how he will do in the series...K? :dork:

steveaki13
23rd August 2014, 21:13
Sorry Steve, I'm going to wait until I actually see him drive an F1 rig before I comment on how he will do in the series...K? :dork:

Thats boring.

Make a rash prediction now and join in looking a fool come 2015 :p

Tazio
23rd August 2014, 21:51
:stareup: OK, I predict he has a shunt in preseason practice that causes Da Boss to become blind in one eye, Seb to lose his right index finger, and seven toes, Fred to die of complications due to a permanent priapism, and Kimi crashing so hard it knocks some talent back into him, and he cruises to the WDC. :p: :angel:

steveaki13
23rd August 2014, 22:20
:stareup: OK, I predict he has a shunt in preseason practice that causes Da Boss to become blind in one eye, Seb to lose his right index finger, and seven toes, Fred to die of complications due to a permanent priapism, and Kimi crashing so hard it knocks some talent back into him, and he cruises to the WDC. :p: :angel:

There we go, it wasn't unreasonable to ask was it

Tazio
29th August 2014, 10:33
"I think I have a different style to my dad! I think it's more like Alonso,"
Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/tororosso/motorsport/story/172945.html#zdpJCAUXaBkqGids.99

Oh sh*t here comes trouble :p:

The Black Knight
29th August 2014, 11:30
Oh sh*t here comes trouble :p:

I'm okay with that. At least he's not arrogant enough to say that he's as good as Alonso, like Vergne did with Webber a few years ago, more that his driving style is like him. I am keeping an open mind on him joining F1. I do think it might be a bit early for him but time will tell.

journeyman racer
29th August 2014, 15:46
Verstappen is still going through puberty. So there is a legitimate reason he's a wanker.

Vergne>Webber.

Tazio
29th August 2014, 16:55
I'm okay with that. At least he's not arrogant enough to say that he's as good as Alonso, like Vergne did with Webber a few years ago, more that his driving style is like him. I am keeping an open mind on him joining F1. I do think it might be a bit early for him but time will tell. Cheers Black Knight, my post was just another feeble attempt at humor. Alonso=trouble to many soldiers in The Anglo-Mafia, and elsewhere. I've never seen Max race, and I stated earlier in the thread that I preferred not to predict how he would do in F1. I took a couple of things from that article:
1) He seems to think he has a style, which sort of implies that he understands that, like Fred, his success is partly predicated on his view of what makes a complete driver, and practices those principals.
2) He struck me as being rather mature.
Time will tell (given enough of it) how good he actually is.

Vergne>Webber. I'm not taking sides here, because I don't know the exact context of Vergne's statement, however JEV may well be, which to me ain't saying that much.

Doc Austin
31st August 2014, 18:51
At 17 he is not mature enough to race at what is supposed to be the top level of motor sport.

The top ride in the sport right now is Mercedes and we see how mature their drivers have been behaving lately! :D

Tazio
1st September 2014, 01:13
Recently-signed 2015 Toro Rosso driver Max Verstappen suffered a minor crash during his public F1 debut at the VKV City Racing event in Rotterdam today.
The 16-year-old was driving an RB8 in a Toro Rosso livery during a demonstration in Rotterdam earlier today when he got stuck close to a barrier while performing donuts for the crowd. Just seconds after the car was recovered, he hit the wall – albeit at a slow speed – and damaged the front wing.
http://richlandf1.com/?p=27674 :o

Doc Austin
1st September 2014, 02:08
That was bizarre. He wasn't even going fast and it understeered into the barrier like he hit a patch of ice or something.

That was a hell of a place to be driving an F1 car for the first time.

truefan72
1st September 2014, 03:29
:o

lol

like father like son

journeyman racer
1st September 2014, 11:59
Loser. Although, he'll be ok in the WTCC or Blancpain series in 7 years.

EightGear
1st September 2014, 12:14
Antistall kicked in, nothing he could do.

Keyboard warriors.

journeyman racer
1st September 2014, 12:54
lol!

Anti-stall? Hey, Rosberg has an excuse for last week!

Antistall kicked in, nothing he could do.

Keyboard warriors.
If I was a keyboard warrior you're referring to. I'd just like to say that I actually participate. But I can't afford to participate in a class where you, and other keyboard warriors, can make fun of me.

Yes!

The Black Knight
1st September 2014, 14:54
Meh, shit happens. It's nowhere near as embarrassing as that ape Maldonado that crashed his car during a similar run last year. This was one of Max's first times behind the wheel of an F1 car. He definitely has an excuse unlike that other chap.

Doc Austin
1st September 2014, 17:08
Anti-stall ..... that makes sense. The thing just wouldn't turn. Still, if Max had more experience in the car he would have known what was going on and been on the clutch or kill switch. It's hard to imagine the same thing happening to, say, Alonso.

Still, that doesn't mean he's not going to do well. Everyone who races in F1 has to learn these things. I remember after Vettel hit Webber in Turkey, and Button at Spa that everyone was saying he did not belong in F1, and that he was crazed, had bad judgment, and was out of control. Just about anyone who is any good went through a period of having stupid accidents.

However, it was the antil stall kicking in that caused María de Villota's accident, so maybe they need a rethink on having those.

GallardoGT
8th November 2014, 11:32
Ha ha, some oversteer ... and then there is a little pleaure moment to make steady drift! Max is just playing with that toy!!!
And immediately afterwards nicely notify the pits to check damage to the wing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ILyZAfHSU