PDA

View Full Version : Hungarian Donkey of the Race

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 15:56
Who cares it was such a good race :p

N4D13
27th July 2014, 15:57
I'm going to go with RoGro. Spinning out of the race during a safety car is an automatic win.

donKey jote
27th July 2014, 15:58
Donkey for whoever missed the race :wave: :p

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 16:01

Henners? :p

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 16:02
Romain Grosjean has to win the outright award for spinning under SC.

Other mentions:

Hulkenberg for hitting his team mate and then ending his race.

and maybe people who say Hungary is dull :p

donKey jote
27th July 2014, 16:03
so much for Hungaboring :D

gm99
27th July 2014, 16:03
I go for Grosjean as well - and Hülkenberg who crashed into everything that moved today, including his team-mate.

Honorable mention to the Williams strategists, their drivers should have been in the mix for a victory today.

Ranger
27th July 2014, 16:06
Honorable mention to the Williams strategists, their drivers should have been in the mix for a victory today.

Even in their mid-90's heyday they fluffed away many races with poor strategy and poor pit-stops!

Has to be Hulkenberg or Grosjean.

Garry Walker
27th July 2014, 16:07
Grosjean mainly
Honors go also to Perez, Ericsson and bieber.

Hawkmoon
27th July 2014, 16:12
McLaren for staying on inters when the rest of the grid went for slicks.

Honourables for Grosjean, Perez and Vettel.

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 16:14
Good point about Mclaren

Gambled and lost.

Then despite only 15 finishing, the secured 10th and 12th. Terrible car this season.

Tazio
27th July 2014, 16:14
I agree with the above I'll also throw Igor inthere for his contact!

dj_bytedisaster
27th July 2014, 16:15
Rosberg. Driving a Merc slow enough to come fourth is ridiculous.

N4D13
27th July 2014, 16:16
Rosberg. Driving a Merc slow enough to come fourth is ridiculous.
I honestly get this feeling that you didn't really watch the race.

dj_bytedisaster
27th July 2014, 16:19
I honestly get this feeling that you didn't really watch the race.

I watched it, that's why I made that statement. Unless you have a major mechanical, finishing off the podium in a Merc this year is a serious fuck-up.

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 16:23
I watched it, that's why I made that statement. Unless you have a major mechanical, finishing off the podium in a Merc this year is a serious fuck-up.

To fair I would say Rosberg wasn't a Donkey, but Dj has a point.

He was unlucky after the first SC, but he then spent an age behind a Toro Rosso and then couldn't pass Lewis on much faster tyres in that stage of the race.

Not a great race from him.

N4D13
27th July 2014, 16:25
But seriously, come on. The race is his to win (by a huge advantage) until a horribly-timed safety car destroys his race completely as he gets new tyres a lap after Hamilton and Ric. I don't know how he lost the position to Hamilton, but in a race with lots of accidents and clumsy moves, surely there are better candidates for the award?

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 16:28
But seriously, come on. The race is his to win (by a huge advantage) until a horribly-timed safety car destroys his race completely as he gets new tyres a lap after Hamilton and Ric. I don't know how he lost the position to Hamilton, but in a race with lots of accidents and clumsy moves, surely there are better candidates for the award?

Like I said above, I agree with Dj that Nico was not great, but I agree with yourself that he doesn't deserve a Donkey award.

Hawkmoon
27th July 2014, 16:29
I think Rosberg drove a fairly conservative race with an eye on the championship. He should have been able to pass Vergne but didn't seem to want to risk it. Not a great race but hardly a donkey.

Whyzars
27th July 2014, 16:36
It was such a pleasure watching great drivers do what they do.

I can't give the donkey to a driver but I will give it to whoever told a driver who started from the pit lane to pull over for his team mate who started from pole. :crazy:

steveaki13
27th July 2014, 16:40
I can't give the donkey to a driver but I will give it to whoever told a driver who started from the pit lane to pull over for his team mate who started from pole. :crazy:

:laugh:

ShiftingGears
27th July 2014, 16:42
Grosjean automatically qualifies.

truefan72
27th July 2014, 19:59
McLaren for staying on inters when the rest of the grid went for slicks.

Honourables for Grosjean, Perez and Vettel.

yup, just about sums it up

Duncan
27th July 2014, 23:04
Grosjean, obviously, but plenty of honorable mentions:

MacLaren and Williams for horrible pit strategy.
Rosberg for whining about Lewis not moving over for him when he was nowhere near passing range.
The world feed director for inexplicably following the fight for 4th place while the top 3 drivers were within 3 seconds of each other.

MacFeegle
27th July 2014, 23:18
It was such a pleasure watching great drivers do what they do.

Nico marginal faster but not so he would pull away from lewis by seconds and after few laps he fall back before pitting. Would compromise Lewis race if he throw away handful seconds for slow Rosberg.

Stupid call and hope not try again.

Tazio
27th July 2014, 23:18
Grosjean, obviously, but plenty of honorable mentions:

MacLaren and Williams for horrible pit strategy.
Rosberg for whining about Lewis not moving over for him when he was nowhere near passing range.
The world feed director for inexplicably following the fight for 4th place while the top 3 drivers were within 3 seconds of each other. That is something I was wondering if others noticed, or if it was just my desire to see Alonso's race. But when I re-watched it I noticed how very lame that really was! :mad:

airshifter
28th July 2014, 03:10
That is something I was wondering if others noticed, or if it was just my desire to see Alonso's race. But when I re-watched it I noticed how very lame that really was! :mad:

That was stupid enough to qualify someone usually out of the loop for a donkey award.

But there were plenty of donkeys to go around this race.

Ferrari for keeping Kimi in during Q1

RoGro for finding a wall during a safety car

Perez for finding slippery curbs on the last turn

Vettel for doing the same and being lucky enough to get away with it

McLaren for making a stupid roll of the dice with both cars!

Williams for lack of tire strategy

Nico for managing to make the quickest car on the grid go backwards

Mark for not posting pickems results for the lack couple of races yet :)

Just about everyone that guessed pickems having Lewis for the win

Taz for drunk posting

Me for having a suck FGP team this year

TheFamousEccles
28th July 2014, 04:05

Does falling asleep on the couch with half hour to go count? I woke to see the podium and was immediatley pissed off at missing the final laps! And there's no free-to-air replay anymore in Oz. The station that has F1 FTA in Oz has sold everything except the actual race to Murdoch. Shits me to tears :mad:

airshifter
28th July 2014, 04:08
Does falling asleep on the couch with half hour to go count? I woke to see the podium and was immediatley pissed off at missing the final laps! And there's no free-to-air replay anymore in Oz. The station that has F1 FTA in Oz has sold everything except the actual race to Murdoch. Shits me to tears :mad:

Yes it counts. That half hour had a LOT of action. Now I'll have to add a name to my list of donkeys! :laugh:

Seriously, find it on YouTube or wherever you have to look. It's worth it.

TheFamousEccles
28th July 2014, 04:11
Will do!

Robinho
28th July 2014, 06:00
McLaren for going for inters, threw away a podium. Hulk, Perez, vettel And grosjean also, but it was tricky out there so not too much grief to them for spinning/crashing.

henners88
28th July 2014, 09:13
Grosjean crashing under the SC is my automatic choice. Quite a few incidents and I think McLaren qualify too for messing up Jenson's race.

schmenke
28th July 2014, 15:51
Rosberg, for repeatedly asking Hamilton to move over when he wasn’t even close. I lost a lot of respect for the young German driver.

steveaki13
28th July 2014, 19:29
Do we actually know the full story though?

Didn't Rosberg say the team told him unheard on radio that Lewis would move over, and Rosberg then asked the team as we heard "Why isn't he letting me through"

I mean I don't know anymore than anyone else, but I believe that is what Nico said.

Storm
28th July 2014, 19:29
Mercedes and Rosberg

Doc Austin
29th July 2014, 00:32
I nominate Pastor, just out of habit.

anfield5
30th July 2014, 00:59
Ferrari for telling the boring one he was safely through to Q2, before watching him start from 17th. And Gros for crashing behind the safety car. The last time I saw that it was Jenson in his first season at Williams

dj_bytedisaster
30th July 2014, 02:09
Do we actually know the full story though?

Didn't Rosberg say the team told him unheard on radio that Lewis would move over, and Rosberg then asked the team as we heard "Why isn't he letting me through"

I mean I don't know anymore than anyone else, but I believe that is what Nico said.

Yes, was told that Lewis was instructed to move over and asked when Lewis didn't. I'd hazard a guess he now regrets obeying TO last year at Malaysia.

Doc Austin
30th July 2014, 02:55
Yes, was told that Lewis was instructed to move over and asked when Lewis didn't. I'd hazard a guess he now regrets obeying TO last year at Malaysia.

You're never going to let that go, are you?

Fortunately Nico is smarter than that. Nico knows that to win the championship, he needs to look ahead and he needs to find a way to beat Hamilton wheel to wheel. Hamilton is still faster, and Nico is lucky to have access to Hamilton's data stream.

Nico can't keep crying about Maylasia from, LOL. ...... last year. Oh, the humanity. In the big picture, would Nico or Lewis have gained or lost a position in the championship based off those points? Would Mercedes be the constructor's champion? Would anything under the sun have changed if Nico was not told to let Lewis past? No, Nico would have a shitty third place trophy from the grand prix of nowhere and that would be about it.

Also the team knows that when Lewis wins the pole and the car pukes on the start at Melbourne, then Nico cheats Lewis out of pole in Monoco, then Lewis blows up in Canada, then blows a brake disc and puts Lewis out of Q1 in Germany and then has his car burn almost to the ground in Q1 at Hungary (all while Nico has near perfect reliability) they are not in a credible position to ask him to give up any more to his teammate/championship rival.

As far as I can tell, the only time Hamilton had four consecutive races without something stopping or slowing the car over the weekend, he handed Nico his ass four consecutive times.

I'll bet you if you asked Nico about Malaysia last year he probably would not even know what you were talking about. Racing drivers are result motivated. That means you have to let go what's already gone and find the way to win the next time.

Let them race for it and show a little integrity like Red Bull did with Sebastien and Webber. Either that, or nominate a #1 and a bitch.

Personally I hope Ricciardo and Sebastien win every race after the break and tie for the championship. At least we will know the will have been an honest contest.

Duncan
30th July 2014, 03:02
As far as I can tell, the only time Hamilton had four consecutive races without something stopping or slowing the car over the weekend, he handed Nico his ass four consecutive times.

QFT.

I have to say that I'm particularly impressed with Lewis over the past couple of races. He suffered total disasters in qualifying which were totally beyond his control, but somehow managed to get his head together and get it done during the race.

Duncan
30th July 2014, 03:03
That is something I was wondering if others noticed, or if it was just my desire to see Alonso's race. But when I re-watched it I noticed how very lame that really was! :mad:

I was yelling at the TV in several languages...

Doc Austin
30th July 2014, 03:34
QFT.

Thanks, I think!

I have to say that I'm particularly impressed with Lewis over the past couple of races. He suffered total disasters in qualifying which were totally beyond his control, but somehow managed to get his head together and get it done during the race.

This is why Lewis is championship material. Everything can blow up in his face, but on race day he's ready to get the most out of whatever they give him. Austria is a good example. he screwed up qualifying good, but on race day he got his game face on and got the most out of what he had.

He starts Hungary from the pit lane in a car that has never turned a wheel, spins it, and then has to rejoin with apparently very little chance of scoring anything, then not only turns it into a podium, but eats into Nico's lead.

Also, apparently, that car had a few problems with the seat overheating and the brakes being dodgey...... it was a brand new car so it was not going to be perfect.

Now, though, Lewis heads into the next race with a brand new, mostly sorted chassis, and we know how much difference that can make. I think Lewis' old car had taken a few shots (Germany, for sure) and was probably getting a little beat, but now he has the best of everything to fight with.

My saddest thing for this season is that I like Lewis and I like Nico and either one would be a great champion. All the trash talk and sulking does is make me see them less as heros and more as spoiled kids.

I really don't know who I want to win it. I think Nico is so good looking and dashing that it would be huge for the sport, I also loved KeKe, so that helps. I also like it that Hamilton races a little too hard for his own good sometimes and has a big heart.

The best part of the whole thing is that Lauda has something to say almost every single day. If any of these people in TV had any smarts at all, they would give Lauda and JV a 1/2 hour after race sound off. It would be epic every single time.

Warriwa
30th July 2014, 03:39
Ferrari for telling the boring one he was safely through to Q2, before watching him start from 17th. And Gros for crashing behind the safety car. The last time I saw that it was Jenson in his first season at Williams

Let's not forget Vettel into the back of Webber.

Doc Austin
30th July 2014, 03:55
What car was Webber in Sunday?