PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Race - Silverstone

steveaki13
6th July 2014, 16:40
Vote time :lips:

N4D13
6th July 2014, 16:45
Bottas and Ricciardo for me for an amazing drive. Actually, everyone in the top 6 did an amazing race today. I was tempted to nominate Alonso best but he could have got a better result had he not screwed up his start, whereas Valtteri and Dan were flawless.

longisland
6th July 2014, 16:50
Bottas. His first stint was really impressive. honorary mention to button. He managed to keep a charging behind.

donKey jote
6th July 2014, 16:51
Bottas without a doubt.
Alo very sloppy seconds for the entertainment.
Niki Lauda currently moaning about Vet moaning about super Alo :laugh:

dj_bytedisaster
6th July 2014, 16:52
Bottas and Ricciardo for me for an amazing drive. Actually, everyone in the top 6 did an amazing race today. I was tempted to nominate Alonso best but he could have got a better result had he not screwed up his start, whereas Valtteri and Dan were flawless.

I agree with Bottas, but Ricciardo did nothing at all. Rosberg retired, Hülkenberg dropped like a stone and Vettel and Alonso were on the wrong strategy and the McLaren are embarrassingly slow for cars with a Merc in the back. A two-stopper worked for nobody but HAM today, so he was 4th almost by default. I'm staring to think RIC is hyped a bit too much. He bends his knees when taking a shit like everyone else.
I think Alonso's drive from the butt-end on the grid despite an inferior strategy has much more merit

Hawkmoon
6th July 2014, 16:54
Bottas.

Alonso blotted his copy book at the start and the complaining wasn't necessary. Leave the petulance to Vettel, he's better at it.

donKey jote
6th July 2014, 16:55
:laugh:

Garry Walker
6th July 2014, 16:56
I agree with Bottas, but Ricciardo did nothing at all. Rosberg retired, Hülkenberg dropped like a stone and Vettel and Alonso were on the wrong strategy and the McLaren are embarrassingly slow for cars with a Merc in the back. A two-stopper worked for nobody but HAM today, so he was 4th almost by default. I'm staring to think RIC is hyped a bit too much. He bends his knees when taking a shit like everyone else.
I think Alonso's drive from the butt-end on the grid despite an inferior strategy has much more merit

I agree that Ricciardo is nothing special, which makes him bitchslapping his teammate over and over again even funnier.

steveaki13
6th July 2014, 16:57
Driver of the Race:

Valterri Bottas - Stunning drive. Had a great start to be 9th at the restart and then he passed people reguarly and was fast.

Other Mentions:

Lewis Hamilton - Had a fast car, but whatever happened he done OK and won the race.

Daniel Ricciardo - Another fine drive by Daniel. He is looking so good at the moment.

Jenson Button - Dropped a place, but Jense did a great job to hold on that high up and I really hoped he could have got that podium at Silverstone.

Fernando Alonso - What a drive. 16th or 17th to 6th and some fine passes involved. The best was around the outside of Seb into Copse.

Seb Vettel - Now I wouldn't normally put in a driver who started 2nd and ends 5th, but his battle and side by side racing v Alonso was special and deserves a mention.

dj_bytedisaster
6th July 2014, 16:58
I agree that Ricciardo is nothing special, which makes him bitchslapping his teammate over and over again even funnier.

Except that he didn't bitch-slap him. He merely was on the better strategy and not stuck behind a ferrari. He almost got caught by a McLaren.

Garry Walker
6th July 2014, 17:00
Except that he didn't bitch-slap him. He merely was on the better strategy and not stuck behind a ferrari. He almost got caught by a McLaren.

He has bitchslapped bieber in most races this year. Your claim about 1 stopper being the better strategy is wrong, because Ricciardo was able to make his tyres last better once again.

dj_bytedisaster
6th July 2014, 17:04
He has bitchslapped bieber in most races this year. Your claim about 1 stopper being the better strategy is wrong, because Ricciardo was able to make his tyres last better once again.

In most races this year Vettel didn't even finish. That's the first point, but you cannot know because you only come here when you can sprout your hatred. Ricciardo didn't make his tyres last better either. First of all, it was a gamble, which you would know had you listened to the talk between the merc guy and RIC in the podium room. He gambled and had luck that the race ended when it did, because he lost nearly a second to Button in the last laps as his tyres were shot. All the people, who improved their position were on a one-stopper. The two-stoppers with the exception of HAM all dropped back and with the Merc it doesn't really count. They would have won, even on a four-stopper.

Garry Walker
6th July 2014, 17:08
In most races this year Vettel didn't even finish. That's the first point, but you cannot know because you only come here when you can sprout your hatred. Ricciardo didn't make his tyres last better either. First of all, it was a gamble, which you would know had you listened to the talk between the merc guy and RIC in the podium room. He gambled and had luck that the race ended when it did, because he lost nearly a second to Button in the last laps as his tyres were shot. All the people, who improved their position were on a one-stopper. The two-stoppers with the exception of HAM all dropped back and with the Merc it doesn't really count. They would have won, even on a four-stopper.

In most races, bieber has been much slower than Ricciardo - the best part was at China when bieber tried to play tough against Ricciardo and still was humiliated.
Ricciardo did infact make his tyres last better, was it a gamble? Absolutely. But the race lasted exactly 52 laps, not one more or two more. He made it work and got the trophy.

Hawkmoon
6th July 2014, 17:09

Sorry DJ but you're flat out wrong. Vettel has DNF'd 3 times in 9 races. That's hardly most races. Vettel has only finished ahead of Ricciardo once this year and that was a race that Ricciardo DNF'd. So yes, Ricciardo has "bitch slapped" Vettel this year.

steveaki13
6th July 2014, 17:12
Sorry DJ but you're flat out wrong. Vettel has DNF'd 3 times in 9 races. That's hardly most races. Vettel has only finished ahead of Ricciardo once this year and that was a race that Ricciardo DNF'd. So yes, Ricciardo has "bitched slapped" Vettel this year.

You're wrong because you're view is not in favour of Vettel. ;)

dj_bytedisaster
6th July 2014, 17:15
Sorry DJ but you're flat out wrong. Vettel has DNF'd 3 times in 9 races. That's hardly most races. Vettel has only finished ahead of Ricciardo once this year and that was a race that Ricciardo DNF'd. So yes, Ricciardo has "bitched slapped" Vettel this year.

He raced the first four races with a cracked chassis to begin with. And except for Malaysia he has had every single major mechanical this year, so I wonder why it was a perfectly usable excuse for Webber last year, yet this year the one without technical problems is hailed as the second coming. If I remember correctly, Vettel had only four qualifyings without some part of his engine failing, so he started a lot of races on the backfoot to begin with.

He is far from the form he was in last year, mainly because he has to unlearn a driving style he had developed over years, but he's not as useless as people are trying to make us believe. You don't wrestle Alonso down if you're useless.

rjbetty
6th July 2014, 17:18

So yet again you give Ricciardo no credit for beating Seb, yet Seb always dominated Webber who never had any issues whatsoever?

Hawkmoon
6th July 2014, 17:20
He raced the first four races with a cracked chassis to begin with. And except for Malaysia he has had every single major mechanical this year, so I wonder why it was a perfectly usable excuse for Webber last year, yet this year the one without technical problems is hailed as the second coming. If I remember correctly, Vettel had only four qualifyings without some part of his engine failing, so he started a lot of races on the backfoot to begin with.

He is far from the form he was in last year, mainly because he has to unlearn a driving style he had developed over years, but he's not as useless as people are trying to make us believe. You don't wrestle Alonso down if you're useless.

I've never claimed Vettel was useless. He's very good but he's having a poor year by his own standards. Ricciardo is getting more out of the car by the team's own admission. Horner commented that Vettel isn't able to drive around a less than perfect car to the same extent that Ricciardo is which is quite amazing considering the former is a quadruple champion.

Vettel has sufferred more from technical problems this year no doubt but if that wasn't enough to excuse Webber in the past it isn't enough to excuse Vettel now.

steveaki13
6th July 2014, 17:21
So yet again you give Ricciardo no credit for beating Seb, yet Seb always dominated Webber who never had any issues whatsoever?

Of course, what else. :D (Exits stage Left)

Zico
6th July 2014, 17:21
^ You two, take it outside and sort it out with handbags.

Back on topic.... I'd love to say Vettel and Alonso for that superb battle but I'm gonna go with Valteri, Solid race and a great result.

Btw DJ- Ricciardo really has totally bitch slapped Vettel so far this season. ;)

dj_bytedisaster
6th July 2014, 17:27

There is a difference between 'beating' a driver and 'bitch-slapping' a driver. The latter suggests that Vettel is basically incapable of beating Ricciardo even if he tried, which is wrong. He [RIC] has beaten him several times and Seb was the first to admit that. In other races Vettel could have beaten him .- most notably Canada - but the team mucked up his strategy. They didn't publicly apologize to him without reason.
I actually like Ricciardo. In contrast to Webber he isn't a conniving media-manipulating bitch and a truly funny character. But I think he's being made more off than he really is. He's a bloody good driver, but yesterday's qualifying showed that he isn't quite the package yet needed to win championships.

steveaki13
6th July 2014, 17:31
but yesterday's qualifying showed that he isn't quite the package yet needed to win championships.

What and Seb has? I mean all he's done is win 4 lucky championships. :rolleyes:;)

dj_bytedisaster
6th July 2014, 17:34
What and Seb has? I mean all he's done is win 4 lucky championships. :rolleyes:;)

You won't even get any argument about 2010 - that was pure, blind luck ;) The other three, well that's a matter of lively debate :D

Whyzars
6th July 2014, 17:35
Massa for not T-boning Kimi. Incredible.

Bottas for finishing second after starting a long way away from second.

Alonso for using his battery charger in a way that had veins popping in Vettel's forehead.

Vettel for carrying his balls in a wheelbarrow and getting past Alonso.

And of course Lewis for winning by 30seconds...

Garry Walker
6th July 2014, 17:37

You are so far up in bieber's arse that it is actually worrying. I would bitchslap you like Ricciardo has bitchslapped bieber, but Wimbledon final is going on. When it ends, I will try to find time for you, but sadly, you will be drunk by then.

dj_bytedisaster
6th July 2014, 17:48
I beats being so consumed by hatred that it is the only thing you have to say

Tazio
6th July 2014, 17:54
Fred and VB get my vote.

greencroft
6th July 2014, 18:58
Bottas for his race performance and Massa for avoiding a catastrophe.

Mia 01
6th July 2014, 19:43
Valteri bottas hands down!

airshifter
6th July 2014, 20:01
Hands down Bottas.

Honorable mention to Ricciardo.

Both stayed out of trouble and had great drives.

andyone
6th July 2014, 20:09
Bottas for me from down the grid to second. and Alonso as well he did a great drive.

truefan72
6th July 2014, 20:26
Bottas & Alonso (despite his moaning) in that order
Hamilton gets an honorable for making the passes at the start and hunting down Rosberg before the retirements (and lady luck for somewhat straightening out the balances.)

Somebody
6th July 2014, 23:53
Absolutely Bottas, with - as Whyzars said - an honourable mention to his teammate for his last-second spin to prevent things going so much worse.

zako85
7th July 2014, 02:07
1. Bottas. Move over Hulkenberg and Perez. Your time is over. We now have an outsider who really means business. To finish second after failing to make it into Q2 was epic.

2. Hamilton. Great start. Very methodical drive. Even if Rosberg's car didn't break down, Hamilton would have finished at least 2nd.

Duncan
7th July 2014, 02:38
Valtteri Bottas, for sure. Great drive, second podium in a row.

Hamilton for getting it done. He screwed up yesterday, but got his head back together and looked very much like he would have secured the win even without Nico's DNF, thanks to great driving and careful management of tyres.

Special mention to Seb who gets "best whiner" award.

dj_bytedisaster
7th July 2014, 02:50
[QUOTE=Duncan;1002821
Special mention to Seb who gets "best whiner" award.[/QUOTE]

Why is everyone unloading on Vettel when eyebrows whined just as much?

donKey jote
7th July 2014, 06:38
Eyebrows in plural? :p

Jag_Warrior
7th July 2014, 09:08
This was a race that I'd like to save to DVD. Too hard to just pick one today. I could go with Hamilton, Bottas, Ricciardo, Alonso and so many others. I mean, except for a few notable exceptions, everybody seemed to play a part in making this an amazing race to watch. Any fans, especially the kids, who were there today... this is one they can talk about for years and years to come. Lucky buggers!

It's because of races like this that I continue to brag that I'm an F1 fan.

henners88
7th July 2014, 09:28
Why is everyone unloading on Vettel when eyebrows whined just as much?
I suppose its because the world feed showed Vettel complaining more over the radio than Alonso. Of course we don't hear all the radio transmissions and it could have been equal as such, but people can only talk about what they hear from the coverage. Personally I thought there were more interesting things in the race to talk about and I thoroughly enjoyed their wheel to wheel battle. Alonso had a good race despite the penalty and it was good to see Ferrari have gained some straight line speed.

Too many good drives and my drivers of the race would have to be Bottas, Alonso, Hamilton, Ricciardo etc.

Big Ben
7th July 2014, 10:41
or maybe it's just because every time he's live he moans like the spoiled brat he is.

Robinho
7th July 2014, 11:24
I'd go bottas and Hamilton today, Alonso and ricciardo honourable mentions

jens
8th July 2014, 11:53
Very impressed with Valtteri Bottas. It is a bit of two sides though. A good/great car can make many drivers look good, but Bottas is also duly delivering and looks like he is going to have a long-term future in F1 and unless the team in which he sits goes down (like has happened with Grosjean) he is there to stay among the serious competitors of F1.

Also there is always a Finn among the front-runners.:D Now that Räikkönen has gone down, Bottas has emerged. Like many years ago Räikkönen effectively took over from Häkkinen.