PDA

View Full Version : A Five- Way Battle for WDC

akv89
15th April 2007, 20:45
The prospect seems too good to be true, but currently we have Raikkonen, Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, and Heidfeld in the top 5 and any one of them can be leading the WDC standings after the next race. If BMW can continue their improvements, Heidfeld will be able to stay in contention longer than expected and if not, we will at least be looking at 4 drivers going after the WDC (assuming that there are no team-orders). The races may get boring but the championship is seems to be getting very interesting ;)

F1boat
15th April 2007, 20:52
Today race was not boring and there was a lot of overtaking, so it restored my faith in F1 after Sepang parade. I think that BMW will catch Ferrari and McLaren pacewise, but I expect a reliabilty problems from them. Between Ferrai, McLaren and their drivers, I don't know what will happen. It is completely open.

quirl
15th April 2007, 23:58
Alonsos chances: 25% (already 2 WDC)
Kimis chances: 25% (seems more consistent then others)
Massas chances: 25% (seems the fastest)
Luis chances 24% (-1% for rookies)
Heidis chances 1% (rain in all following races)

CarlMetro
16th April 2007, 00:33
Well according to James Allen, less than halfway through the race today, Alonso and Kimi are the only two battling it out for WDC :rolleyes:

jso1985
16th April 2007, 00:56
unless BMW gets a faster car the next race, it will be too late for Nick

tinchote
16th April 2007, 01:10
I'm glad for Heidfeld that he is near the front, but it is hard to imagine him as a WDC contender unless BMW improves dramatically very very soon. The four drivers in Ferrari and McLaren are doing a good job, and it is hard to imagine NH getting more points than all of them.

Somebody
16th April 2007, 02:57
Yeah, Heidfeld's outperforming his car right now, and even if he keeps that up, the BMW doesn't have it in it for a race win [let alone a WDC or WCC] without some major problems for both Ferraris & both McLarens at the same race.

As for the rest, well, the Ferraris still have the legs on the McLarens on raw pace, but not by THAT much, so I'd make Kimi slight favourite on that basis just now while Massa in Malaysia's still fresh in the memory. Those four will be scrapping for a while yet though.

Valve Bounce
16th April 2007, 03:00
Alonsos chances: 25% (already 2 WDC)
Kimis chances: 25% (seems more consistent then others)
Massas chances: 25% (seems the fastest)
Luis chances 24% (-1% for rookies)
Heidis chances 1% (rain in all following races)

I give them all 25% chance, including Heidfeld. :)
I think that BMW will go all out to try to knock off their German rivals Mercedes, and the smile on Mario's face lit up the pits. Nick is driving very well in a car that is supposedly slower than the Mackalarens and ferraris.

Shalafi
16th April 2007, 05:48
At the moment, its difficult really to say. It all depends which car will developed best during the year. I dont believe personally that Heidfeld has a chance, and Massa is too erratic+Kimi will get better with time and will have the car to behave correctly for his driving style. As for McLaren duo, it is impossible to say, who will be better in final standings. At the moment everything, as incredible it is, seems to hint that Lewis is a slight favourite in that battle.

ShiftingGears
16th April 2007, 06:07
Heidfeld's great, but I don't see him with a chance. Unless there is some drastic ruling mid season similar to the Michelin tyre issue in 2003 giving the advantage to Ferrari, for example. As it is the BMW just isn't good enough. Anyone in a McLaren or Ferrari has a chance.

longisland
16th April 2007, 07:32
My money is on Alonso if Mclaren can improve their qualifying & race pace in Europe. Ferrari seems to have the upper hand in terms of shear pace and reliability. However, Alonso is definitely the no. 1 driver in the team and he will be getting the full and undivided attention of Mclaren. Ferrari & Renault have shown that the best way to win the WDC is to concentrate on the No.1 driver in the past seven seasons. Remember the year when Prost stole the WDC from Mansell when Williams were having a faster car

Cozzie
16th April 2007, 08:03
It reminds me of 1999 when you had the top 4 (before Schumi's crash at Silverstone anyway) battling and then the dark horse (Heinz Harald Frentzen in the Jordan) all in contention!

Dzeidzei
16th April 2007, 09:53
My money is on Alonso if Mclaren can improve their qualifying & race pace in Europe. Ferrari seems to have the upper hand in terms of shear pace and reliability. However, Alonso is definitely the no. 1 driver in the team and he will be getting the full and undivided attention of Mclaren. Ferrari & Renault have shown that the best way to win the WDC is to concentrate on the No.1 driver in the past seven seasons. Remember the year when Prost stole the WDC from Mansell when Williams were having a faster car

But which driver will McL focus on? After yesterday its far from clear who is the number one driver.

I think Lewis has surprised everyone. And Fernando must be stunned.

raphael123
16th April 2007, 12:48
I think, unless McLaren really go up a couple of gears, Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen will win the title.

It'll be quite a story if Massa does. Kimi Raikkonen, the guy everyone has been saying is the quickest driver in F1, but he's never had the car, and when he does, a guy who 1yr ago today was rated as mediocre beats him to the title in the best car on the grid!! Does that say more about Massa, or more about Kimi?

It's interesting title race this year, but it'll be interesting if all 4 can keep up with each other over the course of the entire season, in particular Hamilton who is new to all this. Kimi seems to be taking a Fernando approach to this title - in simply making sure he's there or there abouts in each race, and wins the races where he has a clear advantage.

jens
16th April 2007, 15:11
I don't believe that BMW can develop championship winning package already in 2007. Better wait for 2008. :)

But all other 4 are probable, although Massa is in tough position at the moment and he needs to continue driving in such way as in Bahrain in the next races, but he also can't be written off yet.

Daika
16th April 2007, 17:20
The prospect seems too good to be true, but currently we have Raikkonen, Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, and Heidfeld in the top 5 and any one of them can be leading the WDC standings after the next race.

Yes this is great stuff, don't know wheter BMW can give Heidfeld the car to do it. They are all likeable in a way execept Alonso. Now that Schumacher is gone i really hope they change the points system. All credit to Hamilton and Heidfeld but i don;t want a situation where they never won a race but can win the title.

mirek01
16th April 2007, 19:06
I think that champinship will be decided betwen top 4 drivers but BMWs could decide who win championship takeing points away from Ferraris or McLarens.If this situation stays for longer thats better.My money stays for finale betwen Kimi-Hamilton.

CarlMetro
16th April 2007, 20:05
Whilst the BMW is a vast improvement on last year, I still don't see it as a race winner this year and that is what it would need to be if Heidfeld were to be a championship contender. He'll certainlt take a few more points off the other four though, if he can continue to perform like he did on Sunday.

Valve Bounce
18th April 2007, 06:44
I'd love to see Lewis Hamilton win the championship this year.

leopard
19th April 2007, 05:21
What if we have to see in most of the races as the result of at Sakhir, Massa and Hamilton battle for 1st position, and the more favorite drivers Kimi and Alonso, and possibly Heidfeld would be up there too, struggle for the 3rd? :)

Roamy
19th April 2007, 05:54
But which driver will McL focus on? After yesterday its far from clear who is the number one driver.

I think Lewis has surprised everyone. And Fernando must be stunned.

Bullsh!t Alonso is a wdc he can handle another fast driver. If LH is good enough to kick Alonso's ass this year Alonso will be the first to credit him.
Don't read a lot of bull**** into the deal until about the 8th race. LH is doing great - enjoy the moment and let the season progress

Dzeidzei
19th April 2007, 09:07
Bullsh!t Alonso is a wdc he can handle another fast driver. If LH is good enough to kick Alonso's ass this year Alonso will be the first to credit him.

Really? So its not the lighting pod? Not the new haircut? Maybe his underwear too tight?

No really, Id love to see guys give credit to other drivers, when its due. That just doesnt happen too often.