PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Rule Changes

steveaki13
27th June 2014, 22:28
So I was looking on twitter and saw Skyf1 post this, I guessed it was worth posting.

Does anyone think these rules are actually any progress?

2015 Rule changes apparently

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrKQlBUCAAALmub.png:large

TheFamousEccles
28th June 2014, 03:13
To answer your question Steve, No. Maybe "no more ugly noses", but that's neither here nore there.

zako85
28th June 2014, 13:55
Some of the rule changes seem to be really disappointing as they are gimmicks that add nothing to racing, except for some cheap thrills for the clueless. I am talking about the first rule, and the second from the bottom.

Standing restarts. Really? Why break decades of tradition? What was exactly wrong with rolling restarts? Yes, the standing start is exciting, but only because it's done once per race. If you do this 2-3 times per race, those restarts will get really annoying. Also, standing starts tend to be more dangerous.

Next is the titanium skid blocks. Please. The only reason they put them in place is to generate the sparks under the cars that you could see in the 90s. Another pointless rule change meant for fake thrills. While at it, why can't they require fireworks to go off at the checkered flag?

The rest of rules seem to be meant to reduce the costs, while in reality they will never make the poor teams like Marussia truly competitive.

It seems like FIA is changing rules just for the sake of changing them, and also to generate some cheap excitement, at the expense of alienating true fans. F1 is the new NASCAR now.

BDunnell
28th June 2014, 14:38
Maybe a case here for merging two threads?

Storm
28th June 2014, 15:02
Ugly noses banned = YES
the rest, eh....especially the standing start after SC is a gimmick.

MacFeegle
29th June 2014, 08:05
How expensive Titanium reduce cost in F1 over Plyboard?

Is Ok to increase cost for no performance but make pretty spark? FIA FIAcked up

Rollo
30th June 2014, 03:35
How is CFD usage even enforceable? Unless the FIA can somehow demand the seizure of computer hardware, then I don't honestly see how this is even... a thing.

schmenke
30th June 2014, 20:58
How is CFD usage even enforceable? Unless the FIA can somehow demand the seizure of computer hardware, then I don't honestly see how this is even... a thing.

Not only that, I would have thought that CFD is sufficiently commonplace nowadays that even the smaller teams use it. Not sure how this is thought of as a cost-saving measure.

AndyL
1st July 2014, 12:32
Not only that, I would have thought that CFD is sufficiently commonplace nowadays that even the smaller teams use it. Not sure how this is thought of as a cost-saving measure.

I guess it cuts the electricity bills a bit! But I agree that limiting the time they run the computers, having already bought them, seems like small beer. You'd think it's a lot less labour intensive than running physical models in a wind tunnel.

zako85
1st July 2014, 13:49
I don't mind the ugly noses. At least they make IndyCar look Ok.