PDA

View Full Version : is Hamilton a genuine Championship Contender?

Robinho
15th April 2007, 14:35
after another great race, another podium (the first rookie to record three straight podiums in his first races), beating his teammate fair and square, splitting the Ferrari's and was catching the leader at the end.

He now is joint first in the Championship with Alonso and Kimi, has battled all three contenders on the track, can he honestly be considered a contender, he clearly has one of the fastest car and seem unfazed by racing the top guys.

i personally doubt he can string together the whole season like this as a rookie, but if he continues like this he really could stay right at the front and at the moment i think he has to be considered a contender alongside Massa, Alonso and Kimi.

keep it up Lewis :up:

F1boat
15th April 2007, 14:36
Yes. JV could have won in 1996, so Lewis can as well fight for the crown. We could see a 4 horse race to the battle - even a 5-way, if BMW catches Ferrari and the McLaren.

Dave B
15th April 2007, 14:39
is Hamilton a genuine Championship Contender?

Yes. Next question.

pino
15th April 2007, 14:43
No doubt he's a Champ contender, and won't be easy for Alonso to keep him behind ! Bravo Lewis :up:

race aficionado
15th April 2007, 14:45

Yes. Next question.

What Dave said.

:s mokin:

truefan72
15th April 2007, 15:27
yes

Ian McC
15th April 2007, 15:33
He is indeed, I would think the question is, is the McLaren a championship winning car?

Robinho
15th April 2007, 15:57
i don't think there is much to choose between the Ferrari and the McLaren at the moment, maybe the Ferrari has slightly more single lap pace, but the difference seems to be the set up and he quality of the drivers on the day.

so far its been different each race, so yes, ithink the McLaren is good enough at the moment, and may i also say how great it is to see all four drivers from the top 2 teams so evenly matched and allowed to race each other for results, gives the championship a much more interesting edge with 4 protaganists

waitey
15th April 2007, 16:23
absolutely, and to think he will keep improving.

ArrowsFA1
15th April 2007, 17:02

Yes. Next question.
:up: :up: :s mokin:

McLaren think so too:

McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh said: "We have two drivers in our team now contending for the drivers' championship.
"I think people at the start thought Lewis was clearly a very fast driver, and he started very, very strongly. But we all have to conclude now that he is a serious title challenger this year.
"He will of course want to go one better soon and win a race, but I don't think any of us doubt that it is going to be achieved some time this season."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58139

Garry Walker
15th April 2007, 17:04
Yes he. How great would it be if he ended up beating Alonso on points :D :D?

But he better keep his hands off the title, thats Massas!

Zico
15th April 2007, 18:45
Yes, to outpace Alonso today (and all weekend) says it all.

trumperZ06
15th April 2007, 19:10
;) IMO... I still think Kimi's the man to beat. Finishing third the past two weeks hasn't seen to rattle Kimi at all. He's been very calm at the press interview following both races.

Lewis is a Contender... he's likely to win a couple of races this year. LH & Massa seemed very relaxed following todays race. They even appear to get along with one another.

Massa is still prone to making mistakes... especially under pressure. Somewhat like Schuey was the last few years. Still a lot of races left this year = a lot of chances for Massa to make another mistake or two.

Fernando today, surprised/dis-appointed a lot of his fans. Maybe... it's just one race/everyone can have a bad day. If he doesn't do well in the next race or two, McLaren will switch backing to Lewis for the championship... and then Fernado will have real problems.

akv89
15th April 2007, 20:21
Well he IS tied for 1st in the championship. I think that puts him in contention by default :D

OmarF1
15th April 2007, 21:24
Remember this: Lewis Hamilton will be 2007 World Champion. Period.

jens
15th April 2007, 21:36
Well. As in recent years there has been a lot of discussion that who is going to be "the next Schumacher", then many have thought that maybe Räikkönen or Alonso, but I'd say that it's gonna be Hamilton! ;) :p : That guy amazes more and more. Unlike Albert Park or Sepang he has raced at Sakhir before in GP2 and look what happened - he clearly managed to beat his team-mate, who is definetely one of the top drivers. WOW!

I really wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the WDC in 2007, BUT I still believe that Alonso's and Räikkönen's title would be more probable.

But Lewis has also next year time to beat Alonso's record and become the youngest WDC ever. ;)

ioan
15th April 2007, 21:43
Man the all the bull thing in here a bit difficult to believe. Hope he doesn't end like Button.

jens
15th April 2007, 21:56
Man the all the bull thing in here a bit difficult to believe. Hope he doesn't end like Button.

Or like Villeneuve. Two years in a top team and then...

Ian McC
15th April 2007, 22:34
Man the all the bull thing in here a bit difficult to believe.

Seems people are giving a reasonable assessment of his talent and ability, don't see any bull here.

ioan
15th April 2007, 22:47
Seems people are giving a reasonable assessment of his talent and ability, don't see any bull here.

Depends on everyones dreams I would say. Long time no British F1 WDC eh?!

I will however acknowledge that he is better than at least 17 drivers out of the 22 F1 drivers on the grid, while still young.

BeansBeansBeans
15th April 2007, 22:57
Depends on everyones dreams I would say. Long time no British F1 WDC eh?!

Just over 10 years, in fact. When was the last time a Romanian took the top honour?

CharlieJ
15th April 2007, 23:07
Well. As in recent years there has been a lot of discussion that who is going to be "the next Schumacher", then many have thought that maybe Räikkönen or Alonso, but I'd say that it's gonna be Hamilton! ;) :p :
His whole attitude, body language, facial expressions and everything before the race were uncannily reminiscent of MS.

The boy is unbelievably cool and completely focused. I wouldn't have said it before the season started (I did say that Fernando would have to watch his mirrors), but Lewis is a genuine contender. As long as McLaren can put the car under him, he's the one that Kimi has to beat.

ioan
15th April 2007, 23:39
Just over 10 years, in fact. When was the last time a Romanian took the top honour?

And when did I say that there will be one?!
You might get your head out yours and think before claiming such things.

Zico
15th April 2007, 23:58
What bull and why are you so negative about LH, ioan? The guy has just outqualified and outpaced a two times WDC as a rookie.. has three podiums on the opening three races.. all fact, no bull.. I and many others see something special with this kid Is it because your loyalties lie with the Ferrari or ?

and comparing him to Button? lol..

stevie_gerrard
16th April 2007, 00:03
he will be up there at the end of the season i would have thought. you dont necessarily need to win races, when ur consistently on the podium like he has been so far. :)

Rollo
16th April 2007, 00:34
To even get to Formula One either requires a lot of money or a lot of talent. Lewis has the latter. He won the GP2 championship on his first outing so his rise out of "nowhere" is mainly because people don't bother to do their research. The people who have done however (Ron Dennis), have been rewarded handsomely.

Hamilton is actually better than what people expected, including the McLaren bosses. I think he will put up a very stiff fight for the 2007 WDC.

jso1985
16th April 2007, 00:45
He certainly is, never tought he would be that good!, I still remember when I posted on the predictions threads before the season that I'll be happy if he scores 3-4 podiums in the late season, whoa now I think he could win the championship :)

Valve Bounce
16th April 2007, 03:03

Yes. Next question.

Same here for me!!

ShiftingGears
16th April 2007, 03:08
The points standings would suggest so, so, yes.

leopard
16th April 2007, 04:24
It would be something ironic if he wins while Alonso is still there at the same team.

He has the talent, but far from doing sensation as unique as Schumacher, although such sensation isn’t basic requirement for being WDC, it only contributes to something spicy and tasteful in F1 world.