PDA

View Full Version : Rally - The Motorsport That Comes To You

Lundefaret
25th May 2014, 13:02
My brother and I are in a situation where we could end up taking on the roll of promotors of the Norwegian Rally Championship.
The desicion will fall whitin a couple of months, and there is quit a heavy meeting scedual between the different parties (organizers, drivers, the Norwegian Association for Motorsport, etc.)

Because we are in this situation I have used quite a lot of time analyzing rallying as a product. My line of work is in concept development, and has been as diverce as from TV-series, childrens books, ice cream, rallying/motorsport, to newspapers and magazines.

The process of analyzing this is to lay the grounds of what has the aim of being a sustainable and positive development of the Norwegian Rally Championship.

I have studied a lot of different motorsports to find the common denominators, and to find the differences. The differences is something one could build on to create a "blue ocean strategy", the term is coined from one of the "Bibles" in the field of concept development.
Find a driection for Your strategy that seperates You from Your competition.

After a lot of thinking (sometimes things move a bit slow;)), I have come up with a tag line that I think Could work well for the development of the Norwegian Rally Championship, and that could easily be transferred to the WRC. And that is: Rally - The Motorsport That Comes To You.

Almoast all other forms of motorsports, or sports as a whole, is played out in arenas. Rallying is not. This means that the "arena" of rallying can be moved to the people.
To build up on this strategy I have started to see in how many ways Rallying can "Come To You", or get close to the spectators, fans etc. I will list up what I have come up with so far, and if You feel that You want to contribute, I would be very glad to recieve more ideas.
If we end up taking over as promotors of the Norwegian Rally Championship I can promise that we will test out ideas that is sugested in this thread. In other words, You will have a real chance to have a say in things.

Rally - The Motorsport That Comes To You.

Geographically:
- Make stages accesible for fans/spectators.
- Make service areas accesible for fans/spectators.

Experiential:
- Use the MINI RallyTaxi to let fans/specators get a feel for the sport by being passengers.
- Use other means to let the fans get an experience, like having a rally simulator present etc.
- Let the fans try out things like changing a wheel in a timed competition in the service area.

Media:
- TV: Make rallying vissible on TV (we are in the prosess of signing a three year deal with the national broadcaster in Norway, if we can do some changes to liven up the competition)
- Magazine: Make a rally magazine that doubles as a program for each rally. Then You can both sell it as a program, and on subscription basis.
- Radio: Make a common guideline for how the radio should work on a rally
- Web: Make a common site for the Championship, so that everything happens in one site, and not on each of the organizers sites.
- Facebook: Make a common FB page
- Twitter: Make a common Twitter account
- Instagram: Make a common Instagram account
- Press releases/planting of stories: Do this out of one channel, both locally, regionally, and nationally

Show:
- Exibit rallycars: Exibit rally cars or relevant objects to make something more of the service park.
- Exibit photo: Make a traveling photo exibition/competition on the service parks to show og "the best of rallying"
- Fair: Have other exibits like ATV, farming, etc etc, to get vendors to make an even bigger show.
- Children: Make activities for children to recruit new fans. This could be RC competitions, etc etc.

Interactivly:
- Let the fans compete them self via a video game (how, when, where is to be figured out.)

These are some idea, if You have more, lets hear them! :)

AndyRAC
25th May 2014, 15:18
Good luck!!

Lundefaret
25th May 2014, 16:13
Good luck!!

We need it!

RAS007
25th May 2014, 16:49
We need it!

As a side note regarding the title of your post: isn't the name of the sport "Rallying", rather than "Rally"? I have noticed this creeping in recently. The sport, as far back as I can remember, has always been called Rallying.

Lundefaret
25th May 2014, 19:17
As a side note regarding the title of your post: isn't the name of the sport "Rallying", rather than "Rally"? I have noticed this creeping in recently. The sport, as far back as I can remember, has always been called Rallying.

We call it rally in Norway, and its called World Rally Championship, but my native language is by no means English, so if Rallying is the more correct term i second that;)

janvanvurpa
25th May 2014, 19:57
We call it rally in Norway, and its called World Rally Championship, but my native language is by no means English, so if Rallying is the more correct term i second that;)

It's rally in the other languages I either speak or can read:
Sweden: rally
Finland: ralli
France: rallye
Italy: rally
Germany: rally
Hell even Greek is rallly.
Cantonese: rally
Russian: rally..

Ras, the ending "ing" has it's equivalents of those dialects (joking a wee bit, they are other languages, but they're all so close its like they're just small variations) where your English derived from: German and what eventually became the different Skandihoovian languages which despite what you might think are really just a slight dialect difference from what's spoken in the recent past up some of the dales of Yorkshire.

In Greman its now "ung", in the Northern languages its usually "ning" but generally its used in the same way as in Anglais..
Here's some clear talk on it:
http://yourdailygerman.wordpress.com/2013/10/03/meaning-erfahrung/

In short it is an "English-ism" to say rally-ing" -----just like saying "motor-cross" is one thing--used world-wide and then you Angles and Saxons used to say "scrambling"..
Evidently you like the sound of the ing at the end..
Nobody else does.
The sport is RALLY

Mark
25th May 2014, 20:48
Quite right and I've changed the forums subject name to match!

RAS007
25th May 2014, 21:15
Quite right and I've changed the forums subject name to match!

I think I will continue to refer to it as Rallying, as I and many others have done since Moses wore shorts...

AndyRAC
25th May 2014, 23:23
I've always known it as Rallying - even going back to Top Gear Rally Report. I even remember the newspapers describing it as Motor Rallying, to differentiate from Motor Racing.

Rally Power
26th May 2014, 15:13
Good luck to you and your brother. The slogan you’ve chose is great and the program very complete. I don’t have any clue on the Norwegian national championship, still I suggest some ideas that worked ok in others countries and can contribute for the sport promotion:

- Fans: implement a junior team (a sort of GT Academy), in order to give young fans, with zero or very limited experience, the chance to practice the sport and to progress in it.

- Media: invite media members to drive in a demonstrational mini-rally, with basic rally cars and experienced co-drivers. It’s a way to generic press, tv or radio get a proper idea of what rally is.

- Social Responsibility: in each rally donate to a different aid organization a fraction of the driver’s entry fee.

- Environmental Care: promote in every rally a concrete initiative in order to reduce the sport footstep (tree planting, forest cleaning, etc).

- Show: try always to associate special landmarks (heritage sites or buildings, etc) to the rally route. They look good in TV footage and press photos!

Mirek
26th May 2014, 15:56
First let me wish You a good luck! You'll sure need it.

I would add just one thing. Make the competition a real story. There is nothing more boring than just simple telling results. For that no wall of text is needed but just one table. Make all You can out of all the dramas which naturally happen in every rally event. Don't concentrate only to the professional top crews but show also the adventures of outsiders for whom even the starting ramp is a kind of small victory. People generally love stories about poor heroes fighting against all odds because they can find many similarities with their own lifes and dreams. There are always really good drivers who combine daily work shifts with nights spent in a garage, finishing the car just few hours before scrutineering, facing various troubles afterwards but still making decent competitors. I'm sure You understand what I mean.

Lundefaret
26th May 2014, 16:32
Very good input Mirek - thank You!

RAS007
26th May 2014, 18:31
My brother and I are in a situation where we could end up taking on the roll of promotors of the Norwegian Rally Championship.
The desicion will fall whitin a couple of months, and there is quit a heavy meeting scedual between the different parties (organizers, drivers, the Norwegian Association for Motorsport, etc.)

Because we are in this situation I have used quite a lot of time analyzing rallying as a product. My line of work is in concept development, and has been as diverce as from TV-series, childrens books, ice cream, rallying/motorsport, to newspapers and magazines.

The process of analyzing this is to lay the grounds of what has the aim of being a sustainable and positive development of the Norwegian Rally Championship.

I have studied a lot of different motorsports to find the common denominators, and to find the differences. The differences is something one could build on to create a "blue ocean strategy", the term is coined from one of the "Bibles" in the field of concept development.
Find a driection for Your strategy that seperates You from Your competition.

After a lot of thinking (sometimes things move a bit slow;)), I have come up with a tag line that I think Could work well for the development of the Norwegian Rally Championship, and that could easily be transferred to the WRC. And that is: Rally - The Motorsport That Comes To You.

Almoast all other forms of motorsports, or sports as a whole, is played out in arenas. Rallying is not. This means that the "arena" of rallying can be moved to the people.
To build up on this strategy I have started to see in how many ways Rallying can "Come To You", or get close to the spectators, fans etc. I will list up what I have come up with so far, and if You feel that You want to contribute, I would be very glad to recieve more ideas.
If we end up taking over as promotors of the Norwegian Rally Championship I can promise that we will test out ideas that is sugested in this thread. In other words, You will have a real chance to have a say in things.

Rally - The Motorsport That Comes To You.

Geographically:
- Make stages accesible for fans/spectators.
- Make service areas accesible for fans/spectators.

Experiential:
- Use the MINI RallyTaxi to let fans/specators get a feel for the sport by being passengers.
- Use other means to let the fans get an experience, like having a rally simulator present etc.
- Let the fans try out things like changing a wheel in a timed competition in the service area.

Media:
- TV: Make rallying vissible on TV (we are in the prosess of signing a three year deal with the national broadcaster in Norway, if we can do some changes to liven up the competition)
- Magazine: Make a rally magazine that doubles as a program for each rally. Then You can both sell it as a program, and on subscription basis.
- Radio: Make a common guideline for how the radio should work on a rally
- Web: Make a common site for the Championship, so that everything happens in one site, and not on each of the organizers sites.
- Facebook: Make a common FB page
- Twitter: Make a common Twitter account
- Instagram: Make a common Instagram account
- Press releases/planting of stories: Do this out of one channel, both locally, regionally, and nationally

Show:
- Exibit rallycars: Exibit rally cars or relevant objects to make something more of the service park.
- Exibit photo: Make a traveling photo exibition/competition on the service parks to show og "the best of rallying"
- Fair: Have other exibits like ATV, farming, etc etc, to get vendors to make an even bigger show.
- Children: Make activities for children to recruit new fans. This could be RC competitions, etc etc.

Interactivly:
- Let the fans compete them self via a video game (how, when, where is to be figured out.)

These are some idea, if You have more, lets hear them! :)

One other thing to add, in case you you don't do this already: have a super special stage the night before the event that is easily accessible to the public. You can use that as a venue for some of the other things you mentioned. This used to work really well on some national level rallies in the UK, where the super special was in town somewhere on the Friday night and at the same venue, they would have all kinds of related attractions, before the rally proper started on the Saturday morning. It really helped bring the sport to the public and built a sense of anticipation for the weekend.Just a thought....

Lundefaret
26th May 2014, 18:50
One other thing to add, in case you you don't do this already: have a super special stage the night before the event that is easily accessible to the public. You can use that as a venue for some of the other things you mentioned. This used to work really well on some national level rallies in the UK, where the super special was in town somewhere on the Friday night and at the same venue, they would have all kinds of related attractions, before the rally proper started on the Saturday morning. It really helped bring the sport to the public and built a sense of anticipation for the weekend.Just a thought....

Thank You very much RAS007 - a very good idea:)

One could even have the public as passengers in the cars.

We have a meeting with the top drivers in the international classes tomorrow, and then we will find out if they are willing to drive in one class.

NRK (Norways answer to the BBC) has demanded one class to show on television, and 4WD is by my account (sic.) to expensive.
We are trying to make the top class for 2WD. The idea is to have both in international (R2), national homologated (similar speed to R2), and the rear wheel drive Group H class run in one Norwegian Championship class.
Here we will achieve a lot of diversity, and also - with the national homologation - more money in to the sport via more manufacturers with importer, dealers, and subcontractors like oil and tool companies and so on.

In Scandinavia we had one big success in motorsports some years ago, and that was the STCC, or Swedish Touring Car Championship. The aim is to create something similar, with big focus on developing driver profiles and catering for high visibility for the sponsors.

But to achieve this the drivers needs to understand that they all ned to pull in the same direction, and this will be the biggest hurdle;)

Mirek
26th May 2014, 18:52

True. One of the most crowded stages in many national championships are Friday night city stages. Even though it's harder to organize them the city stages are in my opinion far better than superspecials somewhere on dedicated roads. Also it's not bad when the stage is run for several laps with chasing

Some epic Friday (Thursday) night stages come to my mind - Barum Rally Zlín city stage, Rallye du Wallonie Namur Citadelle stage or Rally Mexico Guanajuato city stage.

Some events use Friday night for simple prologue. No times are measured, it's just show for crowds. Something like that was used in ERC/IRC in Rally Acores or Mecsek Rally.

Mirek
26th May 2014, 18:57
NRK (Norways answer to the BBC) has demanded one class to show on television, and 4WD is by my account (sic.) to expensive.
We are trying to make the top class for 2WD. The idea is to have both in international (R2), national homologated (similar speed to R2), and the rear wheel drive Group H class run in one Norwegian Championship class.
Here we will achieve a lot of diversity, and also - with the national homologation - more money in to the sport via more manufacturers with importer, dealers, and subcontractors like oil and tool companies and so on.

I would be careful about this. In my opinion this cheap 2WD championship doesn't work in Great Britain. There is neither more competitors nor spectators. From my experience people want to watch cars powersliding and where there are no people there are no sponsors either. For example when WRC cars were banned in Czech championship in 2005 the number of spectators went down very hard. We had even up to 50 4x4 gr.N cars per event in next years but people weren't interested. Only with S2000 they started coming back (and now it's again in deep shit but for other reason).

tommeke_B
26th May 2014, 19:30
True. What can work is a seperate junior championship (like we have in Belgium) for R1 and R2 cars, something similar can be found in junior ERC nowadays. Last year we had a nice championship with a great competition between several drivers, it was always impossible to predict who was going to win. This year due to several reasons the championship is not that strong. Anyway, in my opinion a junior-championship is a good investment in the future of the sport, on both national and international level.

Lundefaret
26th May 2014, 20:39
I would be careful about this. In my opinion this cheap 2WD championship doesn't work in Great Britain. There is neither more competitors nor spectators. From my experience people want to watch cars powersliding and where there are no people there are no sponsors either. For example when WRC cars were banned in Czech championship in 2005 the number of spectators went down very hard. We had even up to 50 4x4 gr.N cars per event in next years but people weren't interested. Only with S2000 they started coming back (and now it's again in deep shit but for other reason).

Hello Mirek

4WD will still be allowed, but the televised National Championship will be with front- AND rear wheel drive cars (power sliding) - or thats the idea.

Regarding the situation in Great Britain, if I remember correctly some of the most successful years of the championships history was with front wheel drive cars in the F2-era. You had a lot of manufacturers and dealers coming in, and it was a very strong championship. As in many other examples I think the costs took off, and that is also a very important matter.

Controlling cost by ex limiting the number of tires etc.

The problem with 4WD is that the group N cars are on their way out, and the R5s are too expensive. Then the idea is to cater for the drivers with international ambition with the R2, and the similar national homologated versions, and rear wheel drive, where You could have more engine etc.

Mirek
26th May 2014, 20:45
Sorry, I didn't understand properly about the 2WD idea.

You are right about the kit car era of British championship but remember that those kit cars were state of the art machinery of said time, very fast, loud and mean looking but also expensive to run. They were something completely different than current R2 cars.

I can't resist, sorry. Not that the 208 R2 looks bad but...

http://img.favcars.com/peugeot/306/peugeot_306_1996_photos_1.jpg
http://blogautomobile.fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/208-R2-TDC-2012.6.jpg

Lundefaret
26th May 2014, 23:18
Sorry, I didn't understand properly about the 2WD idea.

You are right about the kit car era of British championship but remember that those kit cars were state of the art machinery of said time, very fast, loud and mean looking but also expensive to run. They were something completely different than current R2 cars.

I can't resist, sorry. Not that the 208 R2 looks bad but...

http://img.favcars.com/peugeot/306/peugeot_306_1996_photos_1.jpg
http://blogautomobile.fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/208-R2-TDC-2012.6.jpg

Regarding the rather sexy looking 306 versus the somewhat more mundane 208, this is a very good point. Maybe we should hope to achieve the "kit car look" in the national homologation, the cars could look more like the 306 than the 208, but perform the same. Ie. loosen up the regulations regarding fender flares, wings etc.

But all this will depend on the drivers them selves, and if they want to contribute to a unity, or continue their solo operations.

sollitt
27th May 2014, 02:38
Good luck with your championship aspirations. As someone who has been heavily involved with our domestic championship for well over a decade I can tell you it is a lot of work but can also be rewarding.

Your ideas are fine. All tried and true activities and used by others for many years.

Presumably you are looking to promote the championship but other organisations are running the events? If this is the case, make sure you meet with organisers and determine, jointly, the prescriptions for a championship event ... what is do-able and what is not.
Communicate, communicate, and communicate again. Listen to your organisers. They have the bigger job and will have much more at stake.

Define and understand the purpose and focus of the championship from your ASN's perspective. What are they wanting you to achieve?
Who are the other stakeholders and what are their expectations?

And remember, when it comes to competitors, there's a lot of "gunna's" out there.

Of the initiatives mentioned, in town super specials can be good but not every event has a suitable or affordable venue.
The same applies to things like ceremonial starts.

I don't know what categories make up the bulk of your sport in Norway. I would have been surprised if it was 2WD dominated. I'd be quite wary of choosing R2 as the promotable category otherwise.

vino_93
27th May 2014, 11:25
Maybe R3 would be better.
Chile is trying it, a bit as you want (promote 2WD but allow 4WD). It seems rally remains popular there, and manufacturers are interested. It's difficult for them, but Renault, Citroën and Honda bought cars and make them come to Chile. They can easily be tunned to be more aggresiv.
http://www.rallymobil.cl/

Co-driven
27th May 2014, 12:07
Chile is trying it, a bit as you want (promote 2WD but allow 4WD). It seems rally remains popular there, and manufacturers are interested. It's difficult for them, but Renault, Citroën and Honda bought cars and make them come to Chile. They can easily be tunned to be more aggresiv.

Besides that, this year they started with the R2 class, and finished with N2. They also have a strong N3, with lots of teams supported by the importers of the brands.

Toyoda
27th May 2014, 13:32
Nz championship has definitely improved with the loosening of regulations, I believe many of them are open now, which means a great variation in cars makes and more speeeeeed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lundefaret
28th May 2014, 13:05
Good luck with your championship aspirations. As someone who has been heavily involved with our domestic championship for well over a decade I can tell you it is a lot of work but can also be rewarding.

Your ideas are fine. All tried and true activities and used by others for many years.

Presumably you are looking to promote the championship but other organisations are running the events? If this is the case, make sure you meet with organisers and determine, jointly, the prescriptions for a championship event ... what is do-able and what is not.
Communicate, communicate, and communicate again. Listen to your organisers. They have the bigger job and will have much more at stake.

Define and understand the purpose and focus of the championship from your ASN's perspective. What are they wanting you to achieve?
Who are the other stakeholders and what are their expectations?

And remember, when it comes to competitors, there's a lot of "gunna's" out there.

Of the initiatives mentioned, in town super specials can be good but not every event has a suitable or affordable venue.
The same applies to things like ceremonial starts.

I don't know what categories make up the bulk of your sport in Norway. I would have been surprised if it was 2WD dominated. I'd be quite wary of choosing R2 as the promotable category otherwise.

I really aprechiate You extencive feedback. A lot of good advice!

Yes, You are right. This will be solely a promotor roll, and the rallies will be organized by different motor clubs.

We have allready had seperate meetings with most of the different organizers, and have had one meeting with most of them together. But we are not close to reaching the optimum level of communication.
In Your experience, what has been the obvious bottle necks regarding communicatiosn with organizers?

Regarding the bulk in the Norwegian Championship, about 60-70% of the contestants is in what we call national class or Group H (older cars), and about 30-40% is in the internationall classes. The ratio between 2WD vs 4WD varies but is in the region of 80:20 to 70:30 in favour of the 2WDs.

Lundefaret
28th May 2014, 13:06

Maybe You are right, that the bar of performance should be set at R3 in stead of R2. Could be a good point.

Lundefaret
28th May 2014, 13:08
Besides that, this year they started with the R2 class, and finished with N2. They also have a strong N3, with lots of teams supported by the importers of the brands.

2WD (in our project, if it is to be) would be the promoted class, but 4WD will still be allowed.
To gather the attention of more importers and dealers we will open for national homologation, to get more brands in to the sport.

Lundefaret
28th May 2014, 13:09
Nz championship has definitely improved with the loosening of regulations, I believe many of them are open now, which means a great variation in cars makes and more speeeeeed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not know enough about the NZ championship, could You enlighten us in the regards of loosening up the regulations etc?

Lundefaret
28th May 2014, 13:12
We had a meeting with most of the top drivers in the internationall classes yesterday, and it will be a struggle to get them all to push/pull in the same direction. We will see in the nearest future if it is at all possible.
But I totally understand them. They are cought up in their own rallying world where everything centers around the next special stage,and I understand that it is diffucult then to see visions of the future in the perspective of several years.

vino_93
28th May 2014, 19:24
2WD (in our project, if it is to be) would be the promoted class, but 4WD will still be allowed.
To gather the attention of more importers and dealers we will open for national homologation, to get more brands in to the sport.

Australia try it. Now Mazda has developt a car, and it's the same for VW (private) and Honda (official). It's a kind of big R3 cars. Renault and Citroën are involved too. Renault tunned a bit his R3, whereas Citroën only run classic R3.
To know more about Australian Rally Championship : http://www.rally.com.au/

Zeakiwi
29th May 2014, 04:25
I do not know enough about the NZ championship, could You enlighten us in the regards of loosening up the regulations etc?

This was put online earlier this year. http://tinyurl.com/kydljyy NZ rally car regs/ 2015. I don't agree with everything that is written there.

Mk2 RS2000
29th May 2014, 07:22
http://www.motorsport.org.nz/sites/default/files/motorsport/technical-regulations/2014%20NZRC%20Portfolio.pdf

Current NZ Rally Championship Portfolio.

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/

Motorsport NZ Website

OldF
29th May 2014, 19:50
The problem with 4WD is that the group N cars are on their way out, and the R5s are too expensive.

Here in Finland the ASN try to keep the 4WD N-group cars competitive against S2000 and R5 cars by some freedom in the regulations for group N cars. I think that at least in smaller population countries there’s usually only few drivers that can afford the best machinery and if one or two of those driver is superior in the skills, the fight for the championship between those two, in the worst case only one.

In fact the biggest class this year is the SM1 class with upgraded N4 cars.

A short description of FIN R4WD, FIN N4WD and FIN R2WD regulations.
http://www.rallism.fi/en/info/

SM1: Super4 (FIA R5, Super 2000 Rally (2.0 and 1.6T), FIN R 4WD (incl. also WRC cars homologated before 31.12.2002)
http://www.rallism.fi/sarja/kilpailijat/super4/

SM2: Tuotanto4 (FIA N4, FIA R4 and FIN N4WD)
http://www.rallism.fi/sarja/kilpailijat/tuotanto4/

SM3: R2 (FIA R1 & FIA R2)
http://www.rallism.fi/sarja/kilpailijat/r2/

SM4: Super2 (FIA R3, FIA N3, FIN R2WD, S1600, Diesel group N & A)
http://www.rallism.fi/sarja/kilpailijat/sm4/

Lundefaret
29th May 2014, 21:38
Here in Finland the ASN try to keep the 4WD N-group cars competitive against S2000 and R5 cars by some freedom in the regulations for group N cars. I think that at least in smaller population countries there’s usually only few drivers that can afford the best machinery and if one or two of those driver is superior in the skills, the fight for the championship between those two, in the worst case only one.

In fact the biggest class this year is the SM1 class with upgraded N4 cars.

A short description of FIN R4WD, FIN N4WD and FIN R2WD regulations.
http://www.rallism.fi/en/info/

SM1: Super4 (FIA R5, Super 2000 Rally (2.0 and 1.6T), FIN R 4WD (incl. also WRC cars homologated before 31.12.2002)
http://www.rallism.fi/sarja/kilpailijat/super4/

SM2: Tuotanto4 (FIA N4, FIA R4 and FIN N4WD)
http://www.rallism.fi/sarja/kilpailijat/tuotanto4/

SM3: R2 (FIA R1 & FIA R2)
http://www.rallism.fi/sarja/kilpailijat/r2/

SM4: Super2 (FIA R3, FIA N3, FIN R2WD, S1600, Diesel group N & A)
http://www.rallism.fi/sarja/kilpailijat/sm4/

Hello OldF, and thank You for Your input!

After we have gone the rounds in the Norwegian rally-community, speaking of one televised championship-class, possibly making this 2WD etc, there has, as was our intention so we can shed a light from all angles, developed quit a big discussion.

Since You are Finnish I have some questions I hope You can answer:

1) Is the Finnish Championship televised?
If so, wich classes, and on wich channel, at wich times?

2) You have a very succesfull 2WD cup called the F-Cup. Is this on par in popularity with the national championship?

3) Is the F-cup televised?
If so, on wich channel at wich times?

Hope You can answer my questions, best regards from Ole-Martin

Lundefaret
29th May 2014, 21:40
http://www.motorsport.org.nz/sites/default/files/motorsport/technical-regulations/2014%20NZRC%20Portfolio.pdf

Current NZ Rally Championship Portfolio.

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/

Motorsport NZ Website

Hello, I am looking in to this. Very interesting. And the part I like the most in the NZ Championship is actually the use of UTVs as entry level veichles.
Practising Nose End First we already use Polaris UTVs.

Lundefaret
30th May 2014, 12:01
Good luck to you and your brother. The slogan you’ve chose is great and the program very complete. I don’t have any clue on the Norwegian national championship, still I suggest some ideas that worked ok in others countries and can contribute for the sport promotion:

- Fans: implement a junior team (a sort of GT Academy), in order to give young fans, with zero or very limited experience, the chance to practice the sport and to progress in it.

- Media: invite media members to drive in a demonstrational mini-rally, with basic rally cars and experienced co-drivers. It’s a way to generic press, tv or radio get a proper idea of what rally is.

- Social Responsibility: in each rally donate to a different aid organization a fraction of the driver’s entry fee.

- Environmental Care: promote in every rally a concrete initiative in order to reduce the sport footstep (tree planting, forest cleaning, etc).

- Show: try always to associate special landmarks (heritage sites or buildings, etc) to the rally route. They look good in TV footage and press photos!

I think I forgot to answer this one:

Thank You Rally Power! Some very good ideas! They are all actually very good ideas, and can help this being even stronger!

We hope to find out if we are able/willing to take on this role in the time frame of a couple of months. Exiting, yet daunting!

OldF
30th May 2014, 19:42

Yes, on MTV Oy’s pay channel MTV Max. After 3 days the rally can be watched via internet on MTV Katsomo for free. Only in Finland if I understood it right but you can of course try http://www.katsomo.fi/?treeId=33002048

OSAKILPAILU

MTV Max

MTV Katsomo

Arctic Lapland Rally, Rovaniemi (kisa 23.-25.1.)

to 30.1. 18:00-19:00
//
klo 19:00 >

SM Vaakuna Ralli, Mikkeli (kisa 21.-22.2.)

to 27.2. 18:00-19:00
pe 28.2. 9:55-10.40
la 1.3. 19:00-20:00
//
2.3. klo 19:00 >

SM Itäralli, Joensuu (kisa 8.3.) -

to 13.3. 17:00-18:00
//
16.3. klo 18:00 >

Pohjanmaa SM-Ralli, Lapua (kisa 14.6.)

to 19.6. 21:00-22:00
//
22.6. klo 22:00 >

SM-Ralli, Turku (kisa 29.-30.8.)

to 4.9. 21:00-22:00
//
7.9. klo 22:00 >

Pirelli Ralli, Tampere (kisa 26.-27.9.)

to 2.10. 21:00-22:00
//
5.10. klo 22:00 >

2) You have a very succesfull 2WD cup called the F-Cup. Is this on par in popularity with the national championship?

I don’t have any figures but I think it’s more popular than FRC.

Same channel as above. A half an hour coverage usually at 19:30 next week’s Thursday after rally weekend. I didn’t find F-cup on free Katsomo but it can be watched afterwards at http://www.jent.fi/pages/netti-tv/2014.php. To watch previous years, click on “Netti-TV” and choose year. I don’t know if it’s work outside Finland.

Lundefaret
30th May 2014, 21:26

Yes, on MTV Oy’s pay channel MTV Max. After 3 days the rally can be watched via internet on MTV Katsomo for free. Only in Finland if I understood it right but you can of course try http://www.katsomo.fi/?treeId=33002048

OSAKILPAILU

MTV Max

MTV Katsomo

Arctic Lapland Rally, Rovaniemi (kisa 23.-25.1.)

to 30.1. 18:00-19:00
//
klo 19:00 >

SM Vaakuna Ralli, Mikkeli (kisa 21.-22.2.)

to 27.2. 18:00-19:00
pe 28.2. 9:55-10.40
la 1.3. 19:00-20:00
//
2.3. klo 19:00 >

SM Itäralli, Joensuu (kisa 8.3.) -

to 13.3. 17:00-18:00
//
16.3. klo 18:00 >

Pohjanmaa SM-Ralli, Lapua (kisa 14.6.)

to 19.6. 21:00-22:00
//
22.6. klo 22:00 >

SM-Ralli, Turku (kisa 29.-30.8.)

to 4.9. 21:00-22:00
//
7.9. klo 22:00 >

Pirelli Ralli, Tampere (kisa 26.-27.9.)

to 2.10. 21:00-22:00
//
5.10. klo 22:00 >

I don’t have any figures but I think it’s more popular than FRC.

Same channel as above. A half an hour coverage usually at 19:30 next week’s Thursday after rally weekend. I didn’t find F-cup on free Katsomo but it can be watched afterwards at http://www.jent.fi/pages/netti-tv/2014.php. To watch previous years, click on “Netti-TV” and choose year. I don’t know if it’s work outside Finland.

Thank You very much for Your information. This will be a BIG help!

OldF
5th June 2014, 21:22

I got curious what’s the difference between these two words and did some googling.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rally gives the definition of rally as a noun:

“Automobile competition using public roads and ordinary traffic rules. The object is to maintain a specified average speed between checkpoints; the route is unknown to the driver and navigator until the start of the event.”:)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rallying gives the definition of rallying as:

“the sport of driving in automobile rallies (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rallies)”

It’s also says that first known use for rallying is from 1957 compared to rally that’s from 1603 or 1651.

Maybe both rally and rallying is correct? I don’t know. I have a book from 1965 that’s called “Rallying with BP”.