PDA

View Full Version : Have F1's drivers become to good for Monaco

steveaki13
25th May 2014, 11:03
This is going to be a slightly controversial thread I guess, for what I am about to say.

The Monaco GP has always been and still is a personal favourite GP of the year for me. I know not everyone loves it.

With the race just 3 hours away this could become more relevant after the race.

My point is that these days I read and hear many people talking about the God awful processional races that Monaco produces recently. That never seemed to be the case so many years in a row. I would say the last 4 or 5 Monaco GP's have been poor. Where as further back you had maybe a bad Monaco GP followed by a couple of interesting ones.

So my question is: Have the drivers become to good for Monaco.

Lets not beat around the bush, Monaco has always been slightly processional however in years past we had people constantly making mistakes and crashing out leaving only 5-10 cars running at the end.

I believe it was this aspect of the Monaco GP that made it work for so many years.

I know people are going to say wishing people to crash is outrageous and while I am not saying I want big crashes. Is that a factor in your opinion.

Did the Monaco GP only remain exciting because there was always the risk of people going out and lesser cars scoring points?

It seems the last 5 years the drivers have become so good that they can mostly go all weekend without hitting the wall, which means 15-20 cars finish even in Monaco and thus that extra element which made Monaco a race of attrition has gone.

Anyone agree? because it seems while Monaco has 20 finishers it will not be as magical as in the past. Sad thing to maybe admit but maybe Monaco needs crashes and retirements.

Mark
25th May 2014, 12:17
You've pretty much guaranteed there will only be a handful of finishers this year !

steveaki13
25th May 2014, 12:53
You've pretty much guaranteed there will only be a handful of finishers this year !

Probably.

Don't get me wrong, I marvel at the driving standards these days. Its clear to me either the cars are easier to drive around Monaco or the general standard of the grid is higher.

My question was just inspired by the fact I hear so many complaining about the dull-ness of the Monaco GP and just wondered if that registered as a possibility as to why people see the Monaco GP recently as being boring.

rjbetty
25th May 2014, 14:33
*nods sadly*

Yeah I do think drivers are better in a way. I got into F1 around 1997-98 and I think I will say that though there were several good drivers, the depth of quality at the top wasn't what it is now.

We do have pay drivers, but even these pay drivers are as good as or better than many journeymen of 15 years ago.

But I'm wondering if the main thing is the cars have been too easy to drive. Just before hid horrible accident, I think Michael Schumacher said something about this, saying back in the day when cars were harder to drive, you could find more time and outqualifyyour team mate by over 1sec.

Also, that awful run off, especially at turn 1 and the swimming pool doesn't help.

But maybe the main thing is just how strong cars are these days, able to survive knocks and bangs that would put them out before. They are also extremely reliable - ALL the time - as we know.

journeyman racer
26th May 2014, 16:24
So my question is: Have the drivers become to good for Monaco. No.

Anyone agree? No.

But maybe the main thing is just how strong cars are these days, able to survive knocks and bangs that would put them out before.They are also extremely reliable - ALL the time - as we know.Thank God, someone made the most relevant point.

henners88
26th May 2014, 16:25
It doesn't look as challenging these days for the drivers and cars I have to say. It's not a circuit I enjoy I must admit but will likely stay for many more years simply because of its history.

Storm
26th May 2014, 16:42
Apparently these less noisy and super engines made these cars much tougher to drive this year (with all the torque and what not...) :rolleyes:

steveaki13
26th May 2014, 17:05
My job was done.

I hope to jinx the race and score Caterham and Marussia a point and so its job done. :)

AndyL
27th May 2014, 12:47
My job was done.

I hope to jinx the race and score Caterham and Marussia a point and so its job done. :)

Well done :D You should be a commentator, you've got the knack of the commentator's curse!