PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 TV Coverage

truefan72
15th April 2007, 02:36
Just a curiosity thread about F1 coverage in other countries. It has come to my attention that F1 is broadcasting in HD and at the very least in 16:9 wide screen aspect ration. Also based on a bunch of videos I've seen on you tube, there seems to me some feeds out there that show extensive onboard raw footage with no commentary.

Here in the US we have speed tv in non HD as our sole feed. Are we missing something? Are there sites and stations out there that carry alternate feeds? I heard that some of the innovations from the FOM "Bernievision" might be making a comeback.

We would love to get the best and most extensive F1 coverage here, if we knew where to find it.

N. Jones
15th April 2007, 03:31
On youtube I saw the BMW's come together, Sutil hit Button's car, and a few other passes. These all came from Turkish TV I think.

My question is - if there is one company filming the race that everyone shares then why are people seeing different things? All of those may not have been exciting but it would be better than:

A) Watching the friggin Honda works team for countless laps.
B) Watching the traffic jam from way-out-of-the-points to way-out-of-the-points.
C) Watching the friggin Honda works team!

truefan72
15th April 2007, 04:10
agreed
agreed
agreed

That was my main query behind the post. Why can't we see more of those onboard shots and other facets of the race. Nascar has a pitpass thing where you can pay to watch your favorite driver. Speed tv has some onboard pass thing but " There are no packages currently available. Please check back later" message is all you get right now.

Where can we get those feeds?

BobbyC
17th April 2007, 12:33
FIA controls the television.

There is the possibility of Fox during their four races to get the FIA HD coverage, but the HD standard differences may play a role.

schmenke
17th April 2007, 14:27
As far as I know there is only one feed, controlled by FIA, with telecast equipment provided by the host country.

Spoonbender
17th April 2007, 15:44
Each car must be sending back pictures the whole race. When you are watching trackside on the big screens you will see whole laps, on-board, from drivers. It depends who has access to these feeds?

N. Jones
17th April 2007, 15:47
I just want to see the passes and contacts regardless of how boring they may seem. It would spice up an otherwise boring race. Plus, I don't mind watching people battle for position on any part of the track. A fight for 17th is just as exciting as a fight for 7th.
I don't know about the HD thing though (especially since I don't own a HD TV!).

ChrisS
17th April 2007, 15:58
As far as I know there is only one feed, controlled by FIA, with telecast equipment provided by the host country.

I think F1 uses its own equipment and has its own director and TV crew

kdb
17th April 2007, 18:12
Some countries have a an onboard only broacast as well as their regular race broadcast. The onboard broadcast is on a seperate channel and does not have any comentary.

call_me_andrew
18th April 2007, 05:36
I believe the feed is controlled by the independent company, Formula One Management. In theory it is not connected to the FIA. In reality, it is controlled by Bernie.