PDA

View Full Version : How will Mercedes do at Monaco?

steveaki13
12th May 2014, 14:18
Just something to talk about over the coming week until Monaco.

I was wondering what people think will happen at Monaco.

I mean its clear that Mercedes have 0.6-1.0 second advantage over Red Bull and 1.5 over almost everyone else. With that in mind I was thinking about the Monaco GP.

I mean almost any other track Mercedes would still win 1-2 with a 30 second odd gap probably, but as we know Monaco is different.

Mercedes are mighty everywhere corners and Straights but arguably Red Bull are just as good around corner sections and as Monaco is all corners, I was wondering if we could actually seem Mercedes beaten for once.

Vettel and Ricciardo and Red Bull should be good around the streets, but Hamilton & Rosberg are bother winners so wont be rubbish either.

What do people think? Will Mercedes be just as unstoppable in Monaco?

If they are and Red Bull get stuck down the grid, the Mercedes could get close to lapping the field. Without SC though which is pretty unlikely.

journeyman racer
12th May 2014, 14:45
I'll take an educated guess, and say one of the Mercs will win. The other will finish second.

N4D13
12th May 2014, 14:49
A certain Mark Webber said that he was confident that a Red Bull would win in Monaco but I'm not so sure about that. My money's on the silver arrows for this one.

steveaki13
12th May 2014, 15:38
If they win, do you at least think it will be closer?

I mean Monaco surely wont give them such an advantage?

I know its clutching at straws, but I worry if Mercedes win by 40 seconds or more in Monaco that they wont be beaten anywhere.

Although that said we have never seen a team win every race have we? Mclaren won 15 of 16 in 1988, but usually somewhere a strange thing happens and someone else gets a win.

Mia 01
12th May 2014, 16:06
I think Kimi will finish on the podium, but, Nico rosberg will win.

henners88
12th May 2014, 16:11
I think one of the Mercedes drivers will win. Possibly Hamilton with a better chance as its a track he's got a reasonable record at for speed over one lap. Both Merc drivers are previous race winners too so I think Lewis has the advantage going into this one knowing Nico's cage is a little rattled.

Storm
12th May 2014, 17:33
If Merc gets on pole, it will be goodbye everybody else and a snoozefest (and Maldonado crashing)..only if we get some other car on the front row will there be a decent race. Ferrari perhaps as engine power isn't everything at Monaco.

Tazio
13th May 2014, 04:31
If they win, do you at least think it will be closer?

I mean Monaco surely wont give them such an advantage?

I know its clutching at straws, but I worry if Mercedes win by 40 seconds or more in Monaco that they wont be beaten anywhere.

Although that said we have never seen a team win every race have we? Mclaren won 15 of 16 in 1988, but usually somewhere a strange thing happens and someone else gets a win.

I will be surprised if it is not closer. I think that RB's chassis will be effective in Monaco, and I think they have a chance. However my money is still on The Boss, unless of course his pit crew repeat their terrible tire changing performance they had in Spain. Those seconds could make a big difference in Monaco where passing is extremely difficult .
The high likelihood of a safety car or two should also make the race closer.

zako85
13th May 2014, 04:53
1-2, but with a smaller gap to RedBull ;p

Koz
13th May 2014, 04:54
I will be surprised if it is not closer. I think that RB's chassis will be effective in Monaco, and I think they have a chance.

Yes. Ricciardo was closest to the Merc times in S3 in quail, just under a tenth off Lewis' time; otherwise it 4-6 tenths off in S1,2.
I have always found that S3 in Spain is a good indication for Monaco.

I'd also say that Nico will be on pole (or maybe bin it trying too hard).

1-2, but with a smaller gap to RedBull ;p

3 tenths. Maybe less.

Rollo
13th May 2014, 06:56

Depends... do you want to include the Indianapolis 500?

Alfa Romeo won all races in 1950 (except Indy) and Ferrari did the same in 1952.

I really don't see anyone getting past the silver arrows for a while. I think that they may have led every single lap thus far; that's really dominant.

steveaki13
13th May 2014, 08:53
Depends... do you want to include the Indianapolis 500?

Alfa Romeo won all races in 1950 (except Indy) and Ferrari did the same in 1952.

I really don't see anyone getting past the silver arrows for a while. I think that they may have led every single lap thus far; that's really dominant.

Good points. Thanks for correcting me. I personally never include the Indy race as the F1 grid wasnt present.

SGWilko
13th May 2014, 12:33
With Monaco (or is it Manarco ;)) or Monte Carlo, it is a real point and squirt track, so counteracting the turbo lag on anything other than a Merc engine is going to use up energy. I suspect the driveability of the Merc engine, coupled with the efficient cooling, will see the Mercedes team walk it. The Ferrari is still bit of an on/off switch, and the Renault still has trouble pulling the skin off a rice pudding....

Monaco is never an exciting race unless it's wet, and then they are too precious to race anyway!

jens
13th May 2014, 12:43
The Mercedes seems to have a very big advantage across all circuits, while a relatively small advantage in the wet. It looks to be the kind of car, which seems to perform well everywhere, like Red Bull in 2011 even at high-speed Monza.

Williams in 1992 also should have won Monaco if not for Mansell's wheel issue. After all, he dominated qualifying. In 2014 I think Mercedes will be the car to beat and likely to have a 1-2 again unless they have issues. Issues, which can happen more easily at Monaco, i.e getting stuck in traffic on a hot qualifying lap.

MacFeegle
13th May 2014, 15:50
Red Bull best chassis in my eye and outright power of engine not as important. Red Bull very precise and seem to get out of corner quicker than Merc as Newey concentrate on handling and sacrifice top speed so I think will be very close. Front row could be split.

baker
13th May 2014, 19:47
Don't overlook Marussia for Monaco. Chilton fastest in Barcelona testing on the supersofts which will be used at Monaco. They've obviously made a massive step forward and could challenge the Mercs.

SGWilko
14th May 2014, 14:18
Don't overlook Marussia for Monaco. Chilton fastest in Barcelona testing on the supersofts which will be used at Monaco. They've obviously made a massive step forward and could challenge the Mercs.

Ouch - nearly cracked my jaw on the table......

Whyzars
14th May 2014, 15:02
If Vettel or Alonso get even a whiff of the podium they will make the day extremely difficult for Lewis and Nico.

Hard to see any other car challenging Mercedes anywhere in 2014. Its Merc for mine but Vettel and Alonso are primed to take the win in Monaco.

Lets see if one of them can do it.

truefan72
14th May 2014, 20:26
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the RBR might win it. and It might be Vettel.
I still think the Mercs are dominant,. but those RBR's are coming awfully close and I think Vettel is getting his "groove" back.
The real story will be qualifying and getting a clean lap, as well as the weather.

I think whoever wins Qualy or comes p2 will be the only contenders for the race victory.
i think Rosberg will try to push too hard to turn things around and might bin it it or compromise his lap
Ricciardo too might be right up there but ultimately gets beat by his more experienced teammate.
So it comes down to Hamilton and vettel IMO
If hamilton stays out of trouble and has a clean lap, he'll take pole, or finish 2nd.
for Vettel and rBR, this might be one of the few opportunities they have for victory and i think they will push like crazy to secure pole, perhaps even gambling a bit on setup etc.

Of course I want Hamilton to take pole and win the race, but I have a sneaky feeling that vettel and RBR will take this one.

andyone
18th May 2014, 20:56
I but I have a sneaky feeling that vettel and RBR will take this one.
i doubt that..

Zico
19th May 2014, 23:13
Yes Monaco is a great car/engine leveller, Vettel will feel he has a point to prove, be extremely fired up and if he doesn't crash trying to take pole he could run Lewis and Nico close. Unfortunately I still can't see past a Merc front row lock out .... unless they F it up of course... but nope, Merc to win this one too. :$

Mia 01
20th May 2014, 07:17
The barriers are very close to the track, those cars sliding so much this year, well Hogans luck.

journeyman racer
26th May 2014, 16:26
Well. They did ok.

Storm
26th May 2014, 16:41
guess so