PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone vs Spa: Which is better to spectate?

Tango
21st April 2014, 12:41
Hi everyone, I'm a new member just so you know and all.

Anyway, me and two friends are planning on going to the British GP next year. It's probably not true for most people but I've always personally found it to be a pretty dull track and apparently traffic is a nightmare as well.
So I had a look at the prices for Spa (Which I always enjoy watching on TV) and it costs quite a bit less than tickets to Silverstone. That said, the weather is always more reliable as silverstone.

Which one do you guys think is the best to go to?

steveaki13
21st April 2014, 13:13
Welcome to the forums.

I have been to Silverstone twice for the actual GP and about 10 times overall and agree the prices are very high. Hence I haven't been to a GP since 2008.

It depends I suppose on how you are planning to watch. i.e Grandstand or general admission.

The grandstand view tends to give you a decent view but the general admission means you can move around. However it is then always packed on race day and so you have to get there early.

As for Silverstone traffic. Its better in recent years after the upgrades to the roads, but its still a long sit in the car as you crawl towards the carparks.

However Park and Ride on race day means you avoid that.

Those are my thoughts on Silverstone. I have never been to Spa so I cannot comment but I have heard that it can be a bit mucky and no facilities.

Anyway I hope that gives you some help.

SteveA
21st April 2014, 15:46
I've been to Spa and the facilities were ok, but the traffic was a nightmare, and that was using the shuttle bus service from Verviers!

Nearly didn't make it in time for the start of the race. Some people even got off the bus on the motorway and walked along the shoulder (we eventually overtook them so I don't know if they made it on time!)

After the race, couldn't find the bus so walked out of the circuit and found a cabbie that was prepared to drive to Verviers (most of them only wanted BIG fares to Germany, NL etc.)

This was 2007 so things may have improved (or got worse!).

MrJan
22nd April 2014, 18:56
Silverstone is mega expensive, many people choose to do Spa because it's roughly the same price (even including travel) but has a lot more attraction for many. In terms of weather it's reliable at both tracks, over the course of the 3 days you WILL get rained on :D

Not been to either for a GP but have been to Spa for the Classic last May and it is fantastic. Plenty of good spots to watch under general admission, although suspect it gets busy for the F1 so you'd need to be there early. I think that's generally the same for most races though, the only F1 weekend I've done was in Monza and even getting there at 9am for a 2pm race meant we were hunting for a decent spot.

Take a look at the photos I took in Spa https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjanyeo/sets/72157633923658610/
of those only the ones in the paddock or of Eau Rouge were taken in a place not accessible under general admission.

My advice (for pretty much any motorsport event) is always to just camp where you can and slum it for a few days. It's cheaper and you end up closer to the track so don't have such a hassle getting in and out.

If it were me then it'd be a no brainer, Spa is a bucket list track, Silverstone is an airfield.

Mintexmemory
22nd April 2014, 22:50
Endorse Mr Jan's views entirely. I hate Silverstone from the 'on the ground' spectator point of view and would always advise taking a trip to somewhere like Spa with a tent and make a 5 day break of it.

Remember you can get utterly canned in mainland Europe for a fraction of the cost in the UK ;)

anfield5
23rd April 2014, 04:56
As a race Spa is possibly the best spectacle of all. If you can get in at Eau Rouge and see the cars fling through there at full noise you can't ask for much better.

henners88
1st May 2014, 09:11
I think they are about on par. The weather can be terrible at both and you can get close to the action at both too. Spa is a better track IMO, however the commute is a lot worse than Silverstone and we are talking about spectating after all.

TheFamousEccles
1st May 2014, 11:21
Spa - no question! I'm with Mr Jan, it's a bucket list track for me too. I would swag it as close to the track as I could, but as I live on the other side of the world, I guess (for now) it remains a dream.

Never say never, though. I got to Catalunya for a MotoGP race in '07 (it was awesome, go CS27!) and had a blast, and I never thought I would get to any race outside Melbourne (F1) or Phillip Island (MotoGP/WSBK).

Do it! You know you want to.

Roamy
6th May 2014, 08:46
this may be the year for me
1. Spa
2. Monza

Tazio
10th May 2014, 04:39
:stareup: I suppose Flavio already has you lined up with some stinks :dog: