PDA

View Full Version : China: Rate and Review the Race

steveaki13
20th April 2014, 09:28
So after the great race in Bahrain, its not such a good race but whats your verdict.

dj_bytedisaster
20th April 2014, 09:34
Lots of people were jumping up and down saying after Bahrain that we now all must take each other's hands and sing Kumbayah. The reality is. We had two stinkers, the brilliant race at Bahrain and now again a 'meh' race again. Last year was just as boring up front, but at least we had midfield battles. Those are mostly missing this year.

steveaki13
20th April 2014, 09:54
Lots of people were jumping up and down saying after Bahrain that we now all must take each other's hands and sing Kumbayah. The reality is. We had two stinkers, the brilliant race at Bahrain and now again a 'meh' race again. Last year was just as boring up front, but at least we had midfield battles. Those are mostly missing this year.

I agree about the racing generally in 2014 in some ways.

I think most people saw Bahrain for what it was, a brilliant race but generally this one was not a great one.

janneppi
20th April 2014, 10:04
Another race that's just as boring as the second half of last season. Only good thing is that it's not Red Bull that's dominating.

steveaki13
20th April 2014, 10:09
I gave Malaysia 5/10, Bahrain 8.5/10

This one was an OK race, but nothing more than a 4/10 race.

I felt Mercedes were cruising generally and Nico had a poor start. I felt it was there worst performance of the season. Apart from Oz with Hamilton retiring.

Anyway how Alonso finished 3rd I am not sure.

Vettel 5th and way behind, did Seb have an issue late on or did he just loose some interest late on?

A small mention for Max Chilton again. 23 races finishes in a row.

dj_bytedisaster
20th April 2014, 10:15
Vettel 5th and way behind, did Seb have an issue late on or did he just loose some interest late on?

Just heard his German language interview on RTL and he admitted, he doesn't get to grips with the car as of yet. Literal translation: "I just can't riddle out the bitch"

The thing is, he had learned the counter-intuitive driving style for Newey's EBD cars over the years and was frankly the best at it. But after doing that for almost 4 seasons, you have a problem to get it out of the system. I think he'll need most of the season until he get's rid of the unnatural style he had to learn for the last years.

steveaki13
20th April 2014, 10:18
Sky desperately trying to get Horner to criticize Seb or say Seb is in turmoil.

Pathetic interview style to be fair.

longisland
20th April 2014, 10:37
3/10 for the race & 7/10 for qualifying. The overall score is 5/10 for the whole event

Whyzars
20th April 2014, 10:48
I see that Nico has been taking start lessons from Mark Webber.

I'm not sure that Ricciardo could've passed Alonso but Vettel not yielding when instructed could be seen as poor form. I would think Red Bull might be asking if today was a podium missed - certainly Mark Webber might be on the phone saying "I told you so".

Hamilton dogged it. He could've lapped Kimi if he wanted to.

China was an exceptional Grand Prix for the amount of passing. The fact that the passes were under blue flag should not come into it. There is no difference between a pass under blue flag and a pass under the DRS, they are both equally exciting. :(

On seeing Alonso's right side wheels coming off, Massa made a move to slam them back into place. Thank you Felipe!

Maldonado didn't flip anyone on their head today. Thank you Pastor!

China was Bahrain without the late safety car.

7/10

truefan72
20th April 2014, 11:39
Sky desperately trying to get Horner to criticize Seb or say Seb is in turmoil.

Pathetic interview style to be fair.

yup, not their best moment. and I i really dislike horner. it was a non controversy, and Vettel was well within his right to not yield.
Ricciardo was never going to catch rosberg, and as it turned out not the slower car of Alonso either.
So all they did was swap positions. If ricciardo wanted to pass him, he should have fought for it.

also they did botch Vettel's strategy too. Converting him from a 3 stopper to a 2 and leaving him in that infamous limbo laps where he was past the 3 stopper and then came in shy of the 2 stopper.
all around a bad day for RBR. That would have been my inquiry to Horner. not a desperate attempt at multi-45'ing this thing.

truefan72
20th April 2014, 11:42
China was Bahrain without the late safety car.

7/10

that's true,
but boy, that SC made all the difference and had me at the edge of my seat until the chequered flag.
It actually made the Hamilton win more gratifying.
But the battles behind were equally as fascinating, and all between teammates.

Whyzars
20th April 2014, 16:49
... and Vettel was well within his right to not yield.

I am dead against team orders and believe that there should be blood spilt every time team mates pass each other. Having said that, we are told that F1 is a team sport and, with that in mind, Vettel should say "Yes Sir" and GTF out of the way when told.

Alonso was right on form today and is one of the drivers for whom the DRS must be an enormous irritation. There is no way I can see that Ricciardo would've cleared Alonso on any part of the track but it might've been a good stoush all the same.

Vettel should receive a backhander to the nuts for questioning the Yoda-esque wisdom of his team management.

A FONDO
20th April 2014, 17:06
Poor race. Had I known it is so boring I wouldn't waste my time. I can't say much more simply because I can't recall anything rememberable from it. I give it 3/10 because 2 is reserved for Monaco and 1 for disgusting team orders/stewards involvement.

dj_bytedisaster
20th April 2014, 17:25
Vettel should receive a backhander to the nuts for questioning the Yoda-esque wisdom of his team management.

Maybe you should first have your testicles kicked to see what it feels like before you post such a hateful drivel on the interwebs.

Tazio
20th April 2014, 18:10
A decent race with some interesting strategy, I'll give it a 6.33

Whyzars
21st April 2014, 00:48
Maybe you should first have your testicles kicked to see what it feels like before you post such a hateful drivel on the interwebs.

Rather than interwebs I prefer to call it "The EternalNet".

I don't do hateful drivel - ever.

Intended as a joke - definitely, absolutely, unequivocally. I apologise if that was not obvious.

I like Seb.

That the team orders are often stupid to the extreme goes without saying but that doesn't forgive them being debated or even ignored by an employee whose best interests may not be the teams. Commentators were making jokes about "Multi 4-5".

I don't know too many blokes who have managed to reach my advanced age without experiencing crushed nuts of varying degrees. Seeing as I know how uncomfortable a hit to the plums can be then I would expect nothing less if I ignored my boss.

A nut tap is preferable to an inexplicable clutch delay on the start grid. :D

truefan72
21st April 2014, 01:52
Rather than interwebs I prefer to call it "The EternalNet".

I don't do hateful drivel - ever.

Intended as a joke - definitely, absolutely, unequivocally. I apologise if that was not obvious.

I like Seb.

why bother, a certain poster only has one mission in these forums, defend german drivers at all costs and lambast others with an opinion. the irony to accuse someone of using hateful drivel while doing exactly that in the post, and being guilty of that offense dozens of times. Oh well. I'm going off topic here. Nuff said about that.

zako85
21st April 2014, 02:56
These first four races are still an improvement over last years. At least the pilots are not forced to save their tires after a couple of laps. There are a few things to remember from this race. Very nice dynamic start with some surprises. Rosberg's dash from seventh position after a bad start to second place. Alonso did relatively well and showed once again what he is made of. Riccardo continues to impress. It's not too bad considering we could have seen a much more boring race if both Mercedes cars had a good start.

Storm
21st April 2014, 05:51
5/10

well it kept coming to a boil but never taking off like Bahrain.. Still interesting to see the RB battles and if Alonso could finally get a decent spot at the end.

Shows though that Bahrain was an anomaly and not the regular racing we might expect with the great green engine.

steveaki13
21st April 2014, 08:57
5/10

well it kept coming to a boil but never taking off like Bahrain.. Still interesting to see the RB battles and if Alonso could finally get a decent spot at the end.

Shows though that Bahrain as usual was an anomaly and not the regular racing we might expect with the great green engine.

Agree. Good points Storm:)

dj_bytedisaster
21st April 2014, 09:15
The problem I see is the engine freeze. The status quo was more or less cemented in February. Renault and Ferrari might find a bit of performance via software updates, but neither they nor their customers will find the two seconds they are behind Mercedes through aerodynamical means. Unless at some point Mercedes suffers a double DNF I cannot see any other team even remotely having a chance at winning a race this year. The only chance I see is maybe Monaco where RB could spring a surprise with their ridiculous downforce and no realistic opportunities for overtaking.
With four world champions (BUT,RAI,ALO,VET) relegated to walk-ons there's quite a number of fan-bases that will be utterly frustrated very soon. Even in the years of the worst RB domination we had wins from Ferrari, Lotus and Merc. I doubt this will happen this year. 2014 could end up doing more damage to F1 than Ferrari's romp in the early 2000s or RB's 4 years of domination.

Mia 01
21st April 2014, 09:47
The start and the first laps where exciting.

henners88
21st April 2014, 10:08
An exciting start to the race but fairly full at points. I'll be generous and give this one a 7/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

journeyman racer
21st April 2014, 11:44
With so much resignation over the intensity of battling for the race lead, do any of you ever think it'll change? It doesn't matter what the rules are, there's always going to be procession or dead periods. 300kms, 1 and a 1/2 hours is too long to expect a fvee race on steroids.

Even in the years of the worst RB domination we had wins from Ferrari, Lotus and Merc. I doubt this will happen this year. 2014 could end up doing more damage to F1 than Ferrari's romp in the early 2000s or RB's 4 years of domination. A bit alarmist, don't you think? In 25 years of following F1, with the possible exception of the first half of /12, there's always been complaining about "boring' races. If MB win every race this year, "the fans" will come back for more next year, without fail.

I'd also like to credit Ferrari's early 2000's successes to Bridgestone. In amongst the tidal wave of Schumacher/Ferrari fanaticism, they never seem to get their due credit. They were the single biggest factor in Schumacher/Ferrari's success.

I'll also disagree that this may be worse than the RB domination. These current rules will still allow other manufacturers to surpass MB in a year, or two or three. Had the pre-14 rules remained, no one would surpass RB advantage aerodynamically. Even if the lap times seemed to be closer and if they were kept for another 10 years. Aero seems to be a bit of a black art in engineering industry.

steveaki13
21st April 2014, 11:57
fairly full at points. I'll be generous and give this one a 7/10.

I'll assume you mean dull. :p

That is generous. Or maybe I am a mean marker.

I only gave Bahrain 8.5/10, so this was a 4-5/10 for me.

Whyzars
21st April 2014, 15:25

A bit alarmist, don't you think? In 25 years of following F1, with the possible exception of the first half of /12, there's always been complaining about "boring' races. If MB win every race this year, "the fans" will come back for more next year, without fail.

I think there are more complaints about the long wet farts. Add to that discomfort we have a single team completely dominating the economy run. You are right, the fans will come back next year but if the cars sound the same and the racing at the pointy end is the same they will leave in droves just as quickly.

The Merc is a fantastic package that deserves every win. Their goal this year should be to lap every car in at least one race. They have the car and the drivers to do it so why not.

I think someone has already written that they are reminded of MacLaren in '88 and I agree with that assessment. The MB is that good.

All it needs is as many late safety cars as possible to keep the field compact.

I'd also like to credit Ferrari's early 2000's successes to Bridgestone. In amongst the tidal wave of Schumacher/Ferrari fanaticism, they never seem to get their due credit. They were the single biggest factor in Schumacher/Ferrari's success.

Bridgestone always produced a competitive and robust tyre. There were plenty of Bridgestone tyres on cars down the grid so I don't know that the tyres won races per se. Bridgestone/Ferrari was a good partnership thats for sure.

Schumacher deserved every kudo for his work at Ferrari. I don't know how much of todays Mercedes success can be attributed to Michael but he had a profound affect on Ferrari when he joined them. I would assume that his input to the Mercedes team was just as positive and long lasting.

I'll also disagree that this may be worse than the RB domination. These current rules will still allow other manufacturers to surpass MB in a year, or two or three. Had the pre-14 rules remained, no one would surpass RB advantage aerodynamically. Even if the lap times seemed to be closer and if they were kept for another 10 years. Aero seems to be a bit of a black art in engineering industry.

I'm thinking that Mercedes in 2014 is much the same as Bar Honda a few years back. Total dominance early establishing a championship lead to the end. Overcoming the Bar Honda edge was achieved incrementally during the season. Mercedes dominance within the current rule book will not be so straightforward to overcome.

Is 2014 what happens when a rule book is designed to reduce the half a second advantage of one team and instead gives a 2 second advantage to another? :p

Mekola
21st April 2014, 23:15
I gave it 5/10 since Hamilton's wins gave other driver in dominance. Fortunately Rosberg could have a chance, too.

anfield5
22nd April 2014, 00:20
The problem I see is the engine freeze. The status quo was more or less cemented in February. Renault and Ferrari might find a bit of performance via software updates, but neither they nor their customers will find the two seconds they are behind Mercedes through aerodynamical means. Unless at some point Mercedes suffers a double DNF I cannot see any other team even remotely having a chance at winning a race this year. The only chance I see is maybe Monaco where RB could spring a surprise with their ridiculous downforce and no realistic opportunities for overtaking.
With four world champions (BUT,RAI,ALO,VET) relegated to walk-ons there's quite a number of fan-bases that will be utterly frustrated very soon. Even in the years of the worst RB domination we had wins from Ferrari, Lotus and Merc. I doubt this will happen this year. 2014 could end up doing more damage to F1 than Ferrari's romp in the early 2000s or RB's 4 years of domination.

I agree completely. After the first day of preseason it was apparent that no Mercedes engine equalls no bloody hope. This needs to be looked at, otherwise we will have season upon season of bleh.

As I have always said, loosen up the draconian rules and allow designers and engineers to do their job. If Ferrari and Renault can see ways to improver their donkey, let them do it.

As for the procession erm.... I mean race, Alonso was brilliant on lap one, then about 1 and a half hours later it finished!

zako85
22nd April 2014, 03:05
At this point, it seems like only mechanical failures can prevent Mercedes from winning. I hope that Rosberg will provide good competition for Hamilton. A repeat of 1989 wouldn't be too bad.