PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Bahrain GP Thread

steveaki13
30th March 2014, 23:10
Back to back races for Round 3 and so its time to open the Bahrain GP thread right now. :D

So its 2 rounds down and plenty still to go, but its looking like an all Mercedes affair at the moment, and with the cars and teams coming straight from Malaysia I cant see anything stopping Mercedes here, with the long straights.

Drivers Championship after 2 Rounds
1. Nico Rosberg ----- 43 pts
2. Lewis Hamilton --- 25 pts
3. Fernando Alonso - 24 pts
4. Jenson Button ---- 23 pts
5. Kev Magnussen -- 20 pts
6. Nico Hulkenberg - 18pts
7. Sebastian Vettel - 15 pts
8. Valteri Bottas ---- 14 pts
9. Felipe Massa ----- 6pts
10. Kimi Raikkonen - 6 pts
11. JE Vergne ------- 4 pts
12. Danii Kyvat ------ 3 pts
13. Sergio Perez ----- 1 pt

Constructors Championship after 2 Rounds
1. Mercedes --------- 68 pts
2. McLaren -----------43 pts
3. Ferrari -------------30 pts
4. Williams -----------20 pts
5. Force India --------19 pts
6. Red Bull -----------15 pts
7. Toro Rosso --------7 pts

2014 Bahrain Grand Prix, Bahrain International Circuit.

4th-6th April

Times are Local and (UK times). (Sorry about that :vampire: )
FP1: 4th April -14:00pm -15:30pm - (12:00pm-13:30pm)
FP2: 4th April -18:00pm - 19:30pm - (16:00pm-17:30pm)

FP3: 5th April - 15:00pm - 16:00pm - (13:00pm-14:00pm)
Quali:5th April - 18:00pm- (16:00pm)

Race: 6th April - 18:00pm - (16:00pm)

Race Length: 57 Laps

Previous Winners
2004: Michael Schumacher
2005: Fernando Alonso
2006: Fernando Alonso
2007: Felipe Massa
2008: Felipe Massa
2009: Jenson Button
2010: Fernando Alonso
2011: Cancelled
2012: Sebastian Vettel
2013: Sebastian Vettel

Most Wins
Fernando Alonso - 3 wins
Felipe Massa - 2 wins
Sebastian Vettel - 2 wins
Michael Schumacher - 1 win
Jenson Button - 1 win

Ferrari - 4 wins
Renault - 2 wins
Red Bull - 2 wins
Brawn - 1 win

I cant see past a Merc win to be honest.

What about you guys.

steveaki13
31st March 2014, 22:59
So Ricciardo has a 10 placed grid penalty.

Also Van der Garde has been given a Friday Practice drive this weekend for Bahrain

Brown, Jon Brow
31st March 2014, 23:28
Is this a night race?

Tazio
1st April 2014, 03:33
:stareup: Yep!

henners88
1st April 2014, 09:50
Also Van der Garde has been given a Friday Practice drive this weekend for Bahrain
Kimi will be having the Friday off then.

steveaki13
1st April 2014, 12:49
Kimi will be having the Friday off then.

VDG is the test driver for Sauber, but they now have a thing where drivers can share duties on Friday I think don't they?

henners88
1st April 2014, 12:52
VDG is the test driver for Sauber, but they now have a thing where drivers can share duties on Friday I think don't they?

They do yeah, I was just joking that Kimi will be sitting out that practice session not to risk VDG crashing into him like Abu Dhabi last year :)

steveaki13
1st April 2014, 13:45
They do yeah, I was just joking that Kimi will be sitting out that practice session not to risk VDG crashing into him like Abu Dhabi last year :)

Sorry I never remember details enough to get jokes like that :p

How does the driver share work? I mean it must take a while to change settings for each driver which would waste time. Would it 45 and 45 minutes or 30/60?

Tazio
1st April 2014, 15:33
How does the driver share work? I mean it must take a while to change settings for each driver which would waste time. Would it 45 and 45 minutes or 30/60?

Giedo van der Garde will replace Esteban Gutierrez at Sauber for the first practice session of the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend, as the team’s new reserve driver is given his first run in the Ferrari-powered C33. 90/90 :dork:

steveaki13
1st April 2014, 15:47
90/90 :dork:

Sod that. That's dull. :mad:;)

Ranger
2nd April 2014, 11:46
I'd find it hard to believe that Mercedes won't win this one, barring great misfortune.

steveaki13
2nd April 2014, 12:33
Especially with the long start finish straight, turn3-4 long straight. The long back straight and the long final straight.

Seems Mercedes should favour this circuit too. Only the Turn 5,6,7 etc wiggles will favour Red Bull I would have thought.

Could see Williams and McLaren going better here too.

AndyL
2nd April 2014, 13:40
It's been said that this will be a fuel-limited race, unlike Malaysia, and apparently Ferrari think it will cost the Renault teams more than them, so they fancy their chances of beating Red Bull here.

steveaki13
4th April 2014, 11:52
Anyone watching Practice?

This is the first Practice session I will have seen live. The others were to early for me to get up for.

I only get up for Race Days :spin:

Anyway I expect to see the Mercs in front, but their engines turned down.

They were saying on Sky that Bed Rule.... sorry Red Bull have been working on the car a lot over nights?

So maybe they will be better than expected here. I thought they might struggle along the huge straights here.

Tazio
4th April 2014, 12:00
Anyone watching Practice?

:dog:

steveaki13
4th April 2014, 12:02
Let me guess..... Dawg???? :p

steveaki13
4th April 2014, 12:13
We have got quite a few 3rd drivers running today.

VDG, Nasr and Frin??? Cant remember his name. haha

steveaki13
4th April 2014, 12:16
Just seen an advert for Microsoft Cloud. Showing how it is used for all aspects of design and team procedure for the Lotus F1 team. :rolleyes:

Clearly Microsoft cloud doesn't allow good F1 cars to be designed. :p Don't buy that product if you want a car that runs much.

steveaki13
4th April 2014, 12:47
Alonso almost going out on 3 mediums tyres and a front right soft tyre.

How on earth did that happen. Luckily Alonso noticed and stopped. I wonder what technically the rules actually say about that?

I mean do you get penalised just for leaving you pit box?

gabryere
4th April 2014, 15:00
in theory yes (can be used only in q2), in practice i do not know.. It was error of
mechanics

steveaki13
4th April 2014, 16:33
in theory yes (can be used only in q2), in practice i do not know.. It was error of
mechanics

I have never seen it since we have had coloured tyre walls. I suppose before that it might have happened but unknown to us.

steveaki13
4th April 2014, 16:53
There you go....

Someone at Sky obviously thought I had a good opinion.... or a terrible opinion:o:smash:

Anyway I just got a mention of Skys coverage of FP2 haha. (This in my current boring state of sitting around for 2 months is very exciting) :)

steveaki13
4th April 2014, 17:00
What a lap by Chilton.... :eek:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bjy4vJiIUAAWH6m.jpg:large

dj_bytedisaster
4th April 2014, 17:42
That must be a personal best for max

steveaki13
4th April 2014, 19:27
:laugh::dog:

Tazio
5th April 2014, 16:39
Hmmmm.. Vettel, and Hulk get spanked by their teammates in quali.

Tazio
5th April 2014, 16:57
Apparently Fred's ICE malfunctioned in Q3 , and with that PU I think he will do well to hold station especially considering that there are some fast cars behind him :angryfire ;)

AndyL
5th April 2014, 17:03
Fred also ;)

And Lewis ;) Good to see Nico is going to make a serious fight of this season.

AndyL
5th April 2014, 17:04
Despite all the testing here, these cars have been looking distinctly tricky to drive this weekend. Lots the top drivers have been making mistakes.

Bagwan
5th April 2014, 17:09
Fred also ;)

Flip will have the lower lip out at being two rows back .

Oh , sorry , should have said "fast" Flip .

janneppi
5th April 2014, 17:09
Haha, best Quali 1 yet, I won 9 Eur for guessing the fastest q1 time's thousands of second digit.
Thanks Hulk. :D

Tazio
5th April 2014, 17:12
Very true Andy, Hulk, Hamillton , and Alonso really threw it away! Of course the boss is still on the front row so his mistake didn't hurt as badly as the other two I mentioned.

Tazio
5th April 2014, 17:17
Unless Bottas gets a penalty for impeding Rogro, though I don’t think it is very likely.

Yeah, watch that next time! ;)

Tazio
5th April 2014, 17:21
Haha, best Quali 1 yet, I won 9 Eur for guessing the fastest q1 time's thousands of second digit.
Thanks Hulk. :D
Well played mate!! :)
Will that buy you a gallon of gasoline, or should I say 3.7 liters? :confused:

janneppi
5th April 2014, 17:43
Today It would buy me 6.1 litres of diesel. :) That's about 2 inchpounds per calorie for you Americans. ;)

Tazio
5th April 2014, 18:30
Ok that is 1.61 gallons. Euro 1.31/1 dollar
In the home of the brave that would, at current prices get you 3.4 gallons of diesel
Roughly twice as expensive :eek: ;)

steveaki13
5th April 2014, 18:55
Mercedes had good pace again. Good to see Rosberg taking it to lewis. Its reliability depending a 1-2 for Mercedes tomorrow.

I assume its likely to be a who reaches turn 1 first, wins the race. Afterall once its 1-2 into turn 2, the driver behind will have to ease off to cool engines and save fuel.

Anyway it also great to see a Williams 3rd. Would love to see Bottas jump a Mercedes or both into turn 1.

After that its going to be an interesting race to the podium with Red Bulls likely to be coming through the field.

jens
5th April 2014, 22:26
Rosberg has fought back against Hamilton in this quali session, let's see about the race.

The circuit really suits Mercedes power units, Ferrari and Red Bull are very much in trouble against all other Merc-powered teams.

Bottas going well here. A decent chance for his first career-podium. Pérez also finally going well this weekend and perhaps Button could compete for podium too, he has been going better in race trim than quali so far this season.

A lot of work to do for the Red Bulls. If they are unable to get big points right behind Mercedes and have to settle for minor points, it will be very much bye-bye for the championship, because the points deficit will be increasing at a too fast rate.

dj_bytedisaster
6th April 2014, 01:25
I think we're in for worse than 2013. Mercedes' gap on the rest is bigger than RB's ever was - only difference they actually have two competent drivers (as opposed to RBs lineup in previous years), so there might be some mild competition for P1. I would hazard a guess that RB might score a lucky one at low-speed tracks like Monaco or Hungary, but that's about it. The very fact that they have a chassis that at times can almost make up a mammoth 80 horse power deficit - imagine that thing with a merc engine - it would kill F1 instantly.
The engine homologation will hurt F1, because neither Ferrari nor Renault will be able to catch up much.
Well, at least the HAM Fans will be happy and we won't have to read truefan72's laments anymore each weak. It's a bigger fanbase than VET, so at least less people than last year will be unhappy. You have to be thankful for small mercies and in a way PIC's 2nd in Australia and VET's 3rd in Malaysia had a much bigger felleing of achiechment to them than last years wins.

airshifter
6th April 2014, 02:55
It was an interesting qually session. To see several of the #1 drivers get beaten by their team mates wasn't really something I was expecting. Especially seeing Perez do so well and the Hulk do so poorly. Between Fred and Kimi, then Nico and Lewis, you almost expect those two pairs to trade good qually and races.

It should be an interesting race from 3rd back. I don't think anyone is even remotely close to taking any fight to Mercedes right now. At least they have two drivers who can use the car.

TheFamousEccles
6th April 2014, 08:00
DJ, I get that you did'nt like Webber, but to imply that he was incompetent is a little rich.

truefan72
6th April 2014, 09:48
Hamilton messed up in Q3 but at least he is still on the front row and with a bit of luck he can reveres the melbourse situation and take the lead.
its going to be a long race and I think ultimately, hamilton's pace might get him the win,
But Rosberg is looking strong too and I don't think he will give Hamilton a nickel of room.
Hamilton just needs to stay withing the DRS zone in the first 3 laps then overtake and disappear into the Arabian night ( my wish)
but we shall see.

The Force India is looking good. Shocked at my 2nd fav driver Hulkenberg putting in a stinker in qualy, but who knows. He just might produce a fantastic race. Congrats to perez
Bottas is proving to me that so far, he is "faster" than Massa. A well deserved adjusted p3 for him
Alonso is always lurking, but p10 might be too tough a hill to climb and I expect both RBR's to pass him
Kimi likes this track, and has said he feels good about the car, which means that he will probably fight for the last podium spot barring first lap/corner issues
I honestly can't predict p3-10 between the force india's, mclarens, williams and the barn storming rbr's, along with the plucky ferrari's. We will see a some exciting racing and passing I suspect, as well as drama, tears, team orders, team order refusals, the works.

It will really be a race of 2 groups and fights
the mercs amongst themselves
and then the peloton of almost equally matched cars behind with 2 slight faster RBR's behind them trying to pass them
this race might be exciting.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 11:53
I think we're in for worse than 2013. Mercedes' gap on the rest is bigger than RB's ever was - only difference they actually have two competent drivers (as opposed to RBs lineup in previous years), so there might be some mild competition for P1. I would hazard a guess that RB might score a lucky one at low-speed tracks like Monaco or Hungary, but that's about it. The very fact that they have a chassis that at times can almost make up a mammoth 80 horse power deficit - imagine that thing with a merc engine - it would kill F1 instantly.
The engine homologation will hurt F1, because neither Ferrari nor Renault will be able to catch up much.
Well, at least the HAM Fans will be happy and we won't have to read truefan72's laments anymore each weak. It's a bigger fanbase than VET, so at least less people than last year will be unhappy. You have to be thankful for small mercies and in a way PIC's 2nd in Australia and VET's 3rd in Malaysia had a much bigger felleing of achiechment to them than last years wins.

You're right about a lot of things here dj, but I am a Hamilton fan generally, butI am also an F1 fan. I think the Red Bull domination has been bad for F1 and I think Mercedes potential dominance will also be bad for F1.

No need to make out that all Hamilton fans are two faced and will love seeing him win 12-15 races unchallenged when they were upset at Vettel doing it. I am happy to see anyone win lots, if there is a real challenge.

Your post makes some good points, but the tone of your last paragraph in that post sounds just like the tone of posts you say you don't like from last year.

I believe Henners who is also a massive Hamilton fan said the same. (i.e He wants Hamilton to win in a fight. Not just waltzing away with it)

Anyway the rest of your post is spot on.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 11:59
How does anyone think Mercedes will play this race and even season?

I mean will the drivers be allowed to race, or will it be first to turn 1?

I mean once the order is set I suspect both drivers are told to create the snooze inducing 2 second gap and look after everything until the pit stops.

I mean do you think there is ever a chance that Mercedes will let them race each other. I mean in Oz we couldn't find out and in Malaysia Hamilton was too fast.

I am just wondering with such an advantage and two decent guys how the team will play it. In other teams that have dominated in recent years (Schumi & Rubens and Seb and Mark) There has tended to be a number 1 and thus always in front.

How would this team do it, considering how good both are and how fast the car is?

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 15:21
morning gurlz, all ready for the snorefest? :D

Tazio
6th April 2014, 15:29
How does anyone think Mercedes will play this race and even season?

I mean will the drivers be allowed to race, or will it be first to turn 1?

I mean once the order is set I suspect both drivers are told to create the snooze inducing 2 second gap and look after everything until the pit stops.

I mean do you think there is ever a chance that Mercedes will let them race each other. I mean in Oz we couldn't find out and in Malaysia Hamilton was too fast.

I am just wondering with such an advantage and two decent guys how the team will play it. In other teams that have dominated in recent years (Schumi & Rubens and Seb and Mark) There has tended to be a number 1 and thus always in front.

How would this team do it, considering how good both are and how fast the car is?
I get the impression that Mercedes will be content to win both championships with either driver taking the WDC. There may be factions in the team that have driver preferences, but I think that will be put on the back burner.

As for the drivers being allowed to race; I think that they may well be a little cautious in the first 1/3 of the season. However unless someone can mount a serious challenge they will be able to afford to let them race, and use discretion concerning things like PU telemetry for maximum results.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 15:36
I get the impression that Mercedes will be content to win both championships with either driver taking the WDC. There may be factions in the team that have driver preferences, but I think that will be put on the back burner.

As for the drivers being allowed to race; I think that they may well be a little cautious in the first 1/3 of the season. However unless someone can mount a serious challenge they will be able to afford to let them race, and use discretion concerning things like PU telemetry for maximum results.

Good points Taz.

I wonder today though if Nico or Lewis gets ahead early whether that we be that.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 15:37
morning gurlz, all ready for the snorefest? :D

Since when has Bahrain been a bore fest? :D:p

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 15:40
Quick game....

Guess the margin from the last Mercedes to the first other runner at the end of the race.

i.e if two finish 2nd to 3rd, 1st to 2nd if one finishes?

I'll go for 31 seconds with a SC

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 15:41
Quick game....

Guess the margin from the last Mercedes to the first other runner at the end of the race.

without a SC

Tazio
6th April 2014, 15:42
Good points Taz.

I wonder today though if Nico or Lewis gets ahead early whether that we be that. My guess is that they will be a little cautious, but that is only a guess. TBH I don't think that they will be able to stop them from racing if it is that tight. This could be a fun battle to watch today :)

Koz
6th April 2014, 15:53
Quick game....

I would say under 15 sec, without SC.

Tazio
6th April 2014, 15:58
I'll take 18 ;)

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 15:59
earwiggoooooo :dozey:

truefan72
6th April 2014, 15:59
You're right about a lot of things here dj, but I am a Hamilton fan generally, butI am also an F1 fan. I think the Red Bull domination has been bad for F1 and I think Mercedes potential dominance will also be bad for F1.

No need to make out that all Hamilton fans are two faced and will love seeing him win 12-15 races unchallenged when they were upset at Vettel doing it. I am happy to see anyone win lots, if there is a real challenge.

Your post makes some good points, but the tone of your last paragraph in that post sounds just like the tone of posts you say you don't like from last year.

I believe Henners who is also a massive Hamilton fan said the same. (i.e He wants Hamilton to win in a fight. Not just waltzing away with it)

Anyway the rest of your post is spot on.

well the guy is on my ignore list anyway

some people like to discuss, others like to throw flames and bring in their nationalistic pov

Tazio
6th April 2014, 16:02
Felipe Baggie!!

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 16:03
stoopid sky :dozey:
we really don't want to hear the engine noise over the commentary... it doesn't sound right anyway :rolleyes:

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 16:05
Felipe Babys start. wow

Also Mercedes not pulling away as quick as I thought actually

Tazio
6th April 2014, 16:07
Great teammate battles @ Merc, Williams and Ferrari. FI is also hotting up!

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 16:08
Alo losing power again :dozey:

N4D13
6th April 2014, 16:08
At the time, the first seven cars on the grid are using the Mercedes engine. Not strange considering the requirements of Bahrain but not a good omen either. This might just turn out to be a snorefest like Malaysia.

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 16:11
balls Alo train :dozey:

kfzmeister
6th April 2014, 16:12
Mercedes definitely the power unit of the season. Seems like the +80HP claims are true.
What a start by Massa.

AndyL
6th April 2014, 16:16
Bottas definitely not looking faster than Massa at the moment.

P3 - P10 all quite close in pace, a good race on for the bottom step of the podium.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 16:18
Great start by Massa, and Jenson Button brilliant pass on Bottas.

Vettel looking good too on medium tyres.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 16:24
Bianchi and Sutil clashing.

Worth a crash for 19th. :dozey:

gm99
6th April 2014, 16:25
"Daniel is quicker than you" ;)

kfzmeister
6th April 2014, 16:27
"Daniel is quicker than you" ;)

This^

kfzmeister
6th April 2014, 16:28
Vettel looking good too on medium tyres.

Which race are you watching??

AndyL
6th April 2014, 16:29
Nico going for it! Haven't Mercedes heard of team orders? ;)

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 16:30
That was early on lap 2 I posted that. Clearly changed by lap 20 :rolleyes:

Anyway that answers my question on Mercedes racing

Koz
6th April 2014, 16:35
It's over for Nico with the Alternate Strategy.

Tazio
6th April 2014, 16:37
Bottas Massa is faster than you ;)

kfzmeister
6th April 2014, 16:38
The Benz boys are duking it out. What an exciting race. Me thinks we'll see that again towards the end. Go Lefty!

Tazio
6th April 2014, 16:39
Poor Kimi, he brought a knife to a gun fight :(

gm99
Nice try by Massa - "Bottas is losing his rear tires" ;)

steveaki13
Bottas Massa is faster than you ;)

The Merc's were actually getting on for 25 seconds ahead before the stops and now its 16 so stopping later cost them to Williams. Although obviously it wont matter back to them. interesting never the less

AndyL
I get the feeling this Williams battle is going to be entertainment all year.

gm99
6th April 2014, 16:43
Some nice inter-team battles going on today - Merc, Williams, FI :)

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 16:43
great racing so far, shame the ferrari is such a dog :bandit:

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 16:44
Hulkenberg being a baby about it.

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 16:44
crybaby hulk? :laugh:

Tazio
6th April 2014, 16:45
Great race, I must say. :dork:

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 16:46
both races are great, the one with the two mercs, and the other one :p

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 16:47
all ready for the snorefest? :D

:wave:

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 16:51
finn brake tests finn :devil:

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 16:55
Don't know what Bottas is moaning about. Kimi was just braking for the corner, just earlier than Bottas.

Stop moaning drivers. Jeez

Robinho
6th April 2014, 16:55
Best Bahrain race ever

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 16:56
By the way is it me or has Kimi been past 93 times today. :p Seems like every time he is on screen he is being past by someone.

gm99
6th April 2014, 17:00
Anyone else finding this year's live timing on f1.com (the desktop version) pretty useless? You can't even see if/how often someone's been into the pits. Also, there are no more sector times...

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 17:05
ferrari are absolutely nowhere :dozey:

Tazio
6th April 2014, 17:05
Yep to gm99 and donks :dozey:

kfzmeister
6th April 2014, 17:06
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/q80/s720x720/10250296_691046387607636_1164179853_n.jpg

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 17:08
is he ok?

MrJan
6th April 2014, 17:08
He's moving, but not much. Looks very nasty and crazy that the SC isn't thrown yet.

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 17:09
sheesh :eek:

Koz
6th April 2014, 17:09
Holy shit!

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:10
Maldonado back to his brain fart days. Comes out of the pits and rams the racing Sauber.....

stupid.... he could see the car right there..

MrJan
Not really his fault, but Maldonado is involved in far too many accidents.

Tazio
Igor, what a fool!

gm99
6th April 2014, 17:11
WTF was Maldonado doing there?
And why did it take so long for any help to arrive for Maldonado?

AndyL
6th April 2014, 17:12
This race is no good. I haven't got a wink of sleep so far.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:13
Not really his fault, but Maldonado is involved in far too many accidents.

Don't you think Maldonado was at fault there. It looked clear cut to me, coming way up the inside from the pits to nurf someone off.

If that is what happened. It looked poor from Maldonado IMO. He should be penalized and give at least 5 points.

truefan72
oh well there goes hamilton's race
stupid guiterrez and maldonado

I expect rosberg to pass hamilton with the faster tyre now
SMH

my only hope is that perez challenges rosberg
this sucks

steveaki13
Nico got the win now do we think on softs?

Tazio
6th April 2014, 17:14
That has to be Igor's fault IMO!

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:14
stupid guiterrez and Maldonado

SMH

this sucks

I would say Maldonado is the only one to blame for that.

Also except the fact its one of those unfortunate circumstances that may have cost Nico today. Lewis was just unlucky.

kfzmeister
6th April 2014, 17:15
stupid guiterrez and maldonado

SMH

this sucks

Gonna be exciting....

Koz
6th April 2014, 17:15
this sucks

Don't the FIs have to stop again?

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:16
Now ridiculous unlapping of lapped cars. Load of s***. Let them stay a lap down and drop to the back of the snake.

AndyL
6th April 2014, 17:17
Don't the FIs have to stop again?

Pretty sure they (and Button) were also on 2-stop strategy, and they should be able to make it easily after a few safety car laps.

This will have brought Williams back into play as well.

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 17:19
team orders to bring both cars home :p

Robinho
6th April 2014, 17:19
1000% Maldonado's fault, he has to give way to the cars on track and Gutierrez left enough space for a car on the apex anyway. Pastor again proving he is one of those self taught retards

N4D13
6th April 2014, 17:20
Now ridiculous unlapping of lapped cars. Load of s***. Let them stay a lap down and drop to the back of the snake.
I've never quite understood why they don't do this!

Koz
6th April 2014, 17:20
1000% Maldonado's fault, he has to give way to the cars on track and Gutierrez left enough space for a car on the apex anyway. Pastor again proving he is one of those self taught retards

Now way.
Guti didn't know he was there, his fault.

I've never quite understood why they don't do this!

Dangerous and confusing to move backwards.

truefan72
6th April 2014, 17:21
ted kravitz is an idiot

N4D13
My prediction for the final result, after Paddy Lowe's radio message: both Mercs crash in turn 1, Pérez takes his maiden win. :)

donKey jote
hulk punked pérez :p

Robinho
6th April 2014, 17:22
Now way.
Guti didn't know he was there, his fault.

Dangerous and confusing to move backwards.

You think it was Gutierrez fault?

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 17:23
may the power be with you :p

Koz
6th April 2014, 17:25
You think it was Gutierrez fault?

Yes, mostly bad luck though. Should have been more aware.

Robinho
6th April 2014, 17:27

Could not have been more pastors fault. Hence the 10 second stop go. Short of a disqualification it doesn't get more stiff a penalty.

gm99
The Merc opened a gap of eight seconds in two laps after the restart...

Daniel is faster than Vettel :D

steveaki13
Wow look at that unrestricted Mercedes pace......

and Ricciardo telling Vettel to sod off. :p

kfzmeister
6th April 2014, 17:28
Seb screaming: "DO SOMETHING"!!!

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:29

Sorry cant agree. Look at the replay. Pastor was 10 car lengths behind before braking and just ran into Gutierrez

Could not have been more pastors fault. Hence the 10 second stop go. Short of a disqualification it doesn't get more stiff a penalty.

Agree 100%

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 17:30
mercs racing on and off the track :D

AndyL
6th April 2014, 17:30
What on earth has happened to Button's car after the safety car? Looks like he's stuck in reverse.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:31
This season wont be as dull If Mercedes allow this kind of racing for the title. The big difference between 2014 and 2013 domination is the inter team fight.

gm99
I don't think Nico & Lewis got the message from Paddy Lowe :p

donKey jote
absolutely fantastic stuff :D
thanks bernie ! :D :D :D

MrJan
6th April 2014, 17:32
Don't you think Maldonado was at fault there. It looked clear cut to me, coming way up the inside from the pits to nurf someone off.

If that is what happened. It looked poor from Maldonado IMO. He should be penalized and give at least 5 points.

Gut didn't give any space, not his fault but don't think Maldonado is the complete villain of the piece.

Great racing from the Mercs at the minute, it's only going to end in tears though.

rjbetty
6th April 2014, 17:32
Well hello. I have 20 mins before work so am sticking my head round the door.

Aw is Sebby really screaming "DO SOMETHING!" again??? Isn't he adorable?

(I have no sound at all... :( )

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:33
When was the last inter team 1-2 battle like this? Many many years.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:34
Well hello. I have 20 mins before work so am sticking my head round the door.

Aw is Sebby really screaming "DO SOMETHING!" again??? Isn't he adorable?

(I have no sound at all... :( )

You have missed an epic race rj. Watch it back asap. Such a battle for the lead. Its been incredible between the Mercedes.

N4D13
6th April 2014, 17:35
I think this is game over for Rosberg. If he hasn't passed Lewis until now, he won't do it at all. He's probably going to be out of DRS zone soon, if he isn't now already, and his tyre advantage is probably gone too.

rjbetty
6th April 2014, 17:35
It sounds great. I've got the bbc and planetf1 live feed here, but no sounds...

AndyL
6th April 2014, 17:36
Chilton 13th?!

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:37
Also Mercedes were 40 seconds before the SC and now 15 so a 50 odd second lead was possible. Amazing pace today

AndyL
6th April 2014, 17:37
That was a great defence by Lewis.

donKey jote
6th April 2014, 17:39
well done ham, per, ric :up:

AndyL
6th April 2014, 17:39
You have missed an epic race rj. Watch it back asap. Such a battle for the lead. Its been incredible between the Mercedes.

Not just them either, the whole top 10 has been one ding-dong battle after another all race.

truefan72
6th April 2014, 17:40
phew

a hard earned and deserved victory

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:40
Wow what a race. Plenty to talk about for a few days :)

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:41
Not just them either, the whole top 10 has been one ding-dong battle after another all race.

absolutely

rjbetty
6th April 2014, 17:42
What a great job by Ricciardo too, finishing ahead of Vettel after starting behind him.

Have you enjoyed the race dj? :D

gm99
6th April 2014, 17:43
Nice race - rumours of F1's demise have been greatly exaggerated :)

MrJan
6th April 2014, 17:43
Aussie commentators on the NBC feed I've got genuinely just said "if there weren't team orders in that". Given how the two of them were fighting for the lead I think it's safe to say that there weren't explicit team orders!

Nice to see things turned out their head with Williams back up the top (with a classic motorsport livery too) and FI getting some results. Shame Seb is still hanging around the top ten but satisfying that he keeps getting beaten by Ricciardo, I've always felt that Vettel isn't a champion of the same class of Alonso or Kimi.

Tazio
6th April 2014, 17:46
I think this is game over for Rosberg. If he hasn't passed Lewis until now, he won't do it at all. He's probably going to be out of DRS zone soon, if he isn't now already, and his tyre advantage is probably gone too. I have to agree,he gets my DotR. The Boss drove brilliantly all race!

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 17:49
In all analysis though the Mercedes true pace was frightening. I know it suited the car and engine, but they pull 24 seconds clear in the last 9 laps and were fighting at the time. Add that to 40 seconds before the SC and its net a minute in the lead.

Tazio
6th April 2014, 17:49
Fred seemed to be really happy to hold off Kimi for 9th. I never thought I would see that :confused: ;)

Tazio
6th April 2014, 17:52
In all analysis though the Mercedes true pace was frightening. I know it suited the car and engine, but they pull 24 seconds clear in the last 9 laps and were fighting at the time. Add that to 40 seconds before the SC and its net a minute in the lead.

They are in a completely different league! I hope Nico can keep it close, but I have serious doubts

Ranger
6th April 2014, 17:53
Great race, up there with Japan '05 on pure entertainment value.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 18:09
Fred seemed to be really happy to hold off Kimi for 9th. I never thought I would see that :confused: ;)

I know what was that about ? :confused::(

truefan72
6th April 2014, 18:12
only shame is that hulkenberg could not keep p4 it
but still an awesome result for force india

Tazio
6th April 2014, 18:14
@ Steve:It may just show how hard he was trying, I don't know.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 18:18
@ Steve:It may just show how hard he was trying, I don't know.

Fair play, but its sad to see Alonso fist pumping 9th.

He needs a Mercedes or Red Bull seat for 2015 :devil:

Tazio
6th April 2014, 18:23

:sailor: Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry! ;)
Felipe drove slightly better than VB....maybe. They are both "Fast"

Tazio
6th April 2014, 18:27

I don't know about that. I do know that there aint no freakin' quit in that guy!

kfzmeister
6th April 2014, 18:27

Dennis/ McLaren-Honda 2015

Parshva
6th April 2014, 18:31
Nico was really awsum and made clear on podium he dint want to be another webber

tjoepie
6th April 2014, 18:38
Fabulous race! Or two races, at least. If only Nico had got past that dirty pom it would've been perfect...

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 20:06
Dennis/ McLaren-Honda 2015

Imagine :eek: That would be amazing.

Fabulous race! Or two races, at least. If only Nico had got past that dirty pom it would've been perfect...

:p

jens
6th April 2014, 20:56
I have to say one thing again. I remember the feeling of 2005 and 2009, when I was thinking about the pecking order in the early season - wtf is that. And something like that occured again.

Think of the situation what we had only 2 years ago. Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren were the three top teams. They were top 3 all through 2010 to 2012. Their closest challenger was Lotus. All this quartet was firmly in midfield in Bahrain. For most of the race the top 3 teams were Mercedes, Force India and Williams. Mindblowing.

I think during pre-season I got so used to knowing that Mercedes has by far the best engine, so that such situation didn't shock or surprise me. But now that I think retrospectively about some comparisons, it turns out the effects of the changes have been quite amazing really.

So really as we were discussing in pre-season - we can get some pretty surprising and interesting results early in the season.

One thing also became clear for me with this race - it may have been only 3rd race of the season, but the WDC/WCC belongs to Mercedes. Red Bull and Ferrari lose too much ground messing with midfielders. Even if they develop themselves to the front again one day, it will be too late for title challenge. Much like it was for Ferrari and McLaren in 2009. Too much lost ground early in the season.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 21:09
I have to say one thing again. I remember the feeling of 2005 and 2009, when I was thinking about the pecking order in the early season - wtf is that. And something like that occured again.

Think of the situation what we had only 2 years ago. Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren were the three top teams. They were top 3 all through 2010 to 2012. Their closest challenger was Lotus. All this quartet was firmly in midfield in Bahrain. For most of the race the top 3 teams were Mercedes, Force India and Williams. Mindblowing.

I think during pre-season I got so used to knowing that Mercedes has by far the best engine, so that such situation didn't shock or surprise me. But now that I think retrospectively about some comparisons, it turns out the effects of the changes have been quite amazing really.

So really as we were discussing in pre-season - we can get some pretty surprising and interesting results early in the season.

One thing also became clear for me with this race - it may have been only 3rd race of the season, but the WDC/WCC belongs to Mercedes. Red Bull and Ferrari lose too much ground messing with midfielders. Even if they develop themselves to the front again one day, it will be too late for title challenge. Much like it was for Ferrari and McLaren in 2009. Too much lost ground early in the season.

Still early, but I cant see Mercedes not winning both Championships either.

As I posted on the Donkey Thread.

Maldonado has been given a 5 place grid drop in China and 3 points on his license.

COD
6th April 2014, 22:00

I'm afraid he is past his prime by now. Time to retire?

airshifter
7th April 2014, 04:57
One of the most entertaining races in quite a while. And one that leaves a lot of questions about which driver is dominant within each team. Ricciardo gets Vettel, Felipe comes out on top of Bottas, Perez finishes ahead of the highly rated Hulk, and Lewis manages to hold off Nico despite the tire and DRS advantage.

But I don't think it's over... I'm hoping to see more of this, and more solid fights between the teams, as the season progresses. Right now the only thing I'd like to see change is the Mercedes domination up front. But even if that current advantage lasts through the season, figuring out who will be on the third podium spot and lower will be fun.

So much for those that were already convinced that the regs changes would make 2014 boring.

Storm
7th April 2014, 05:54
Fantastic race....after a very long time. inspite of the quietness, the racing made me forget that for a while atleast!
Nico deserved to get the win, but Lewis drove hard and mostly fair too.
Perez getting one over his much hyped partner as well....very sad to see Ferraris getting their a$$es handed to them though..perhaps that was the wake-up call if ever one was needed?

and for all the Bottas was faster in the last race - , yeah right, perhaps he needed another team order because he was faster than Massa? no?

zako85
7th April 2014, 14:02
This race alone was better than all of the races of 2013 and better than almost all races of 2011 and 2012 (the exceptions include truly notable races such as Canada GP of 2011). It's hard to recall when there was the last time I have seen so much close wheel-to-wheel racing, even between teammates, in open wheel racing on a road course. It's a very good sign. I think the rest of the 2014 season will be amazing.

Tazio
7th April 2014, 14:26
I'm afraid he is past his prime by now. Time to retire?

:laugh:

henners88
7th April 2014, 14:33
I love a dirty pom.
I was called a pom once by an Aussy and apparently its supposed to be a derogatory word for us Brits, or that was his intent at least. Its not offensive though over here :p

AndyL
7th April 2014, 16:16
This race alone was better than all of the races of 2013 and better than almost all races of 2011 and 2012 (the exceptions include truly notable races such as Canada GP of 2011). It's hard to recall when there was the last time I have seen so much close wheel-to-wheel racing, even between teammates, in open wheel racing on a road course. It's a very good sign. I think the rest of the 2014 season will be amazing.

And this is despite it being a dry race, at a traditionally boring circuit, and one where they have tested extensively which also often contributes to dull races. Pretty remarkable really!

steveaki13
7th April 2014, 18:57
I am not sure sadly we can expect the rest of the season to have race after race like this.

Tazio
8th April 2014, 14:20
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/04/08/mercedes-fair-fight-hamilton-rosberg/
A revealing article worth a read that includes radio transcripts that exposes the machinations of Mercedes allowing The Boss and Nico race each other. I'm not implying that other teams didn't let their drivers race either, as it appeared that all the teams that had both drivers running did. Williams and Ferrari were the only ones that had battles for position in the end and it is reflected in having a gap of less than one second at the flag.
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/916/
Once again a fantastic race.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it appears that favoring a driver in the early races is going out of vogue for the time being. Let's see what the rest of the season holds.

AndyL
8th April 2014, 16:01
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it appears that favoring a driver in the early races is going out of vogue for the time being. Let's see what the rest of the season holds.

It'll be interesting to see if things change if one driver starts to get a bit of lead in the a championship, and/or other teams catch up on performance. But for now it's great to see and I hope it continues.

airshifter
8th April 2014, 16:04
The revealing part of those radio transmissions was when Paddy Lowe came on towards the end of the safety car period and gave both drivers the reminder to bring the cars home. It was almost word for word.

Good on them for letting the drivers race, though I'm sure more than a couple people in the pit boxes were wondering how many cubic dollars might be getting tossed in a collision. :)

MrJan
8th April 2014, 17:43
Still early, but I cant see Mercedes not winning both Championships either.

Aah but remember how Brawn dropped off towards the end of their season, and the Mercs aren't anywhere near as dominant as Jenson was that year.

Doc Austin
8th April 2014, 18:00
I just last night had a chance to see the entire and have a better picture now.

The whole thing was very entertaining, but the finish was pretty close o team by team. Williams, Force India and Red Bull all seem to be in one pack. If Hamilton and Rosberg ever take each other out (which looks likely considering how hard they race each other) we will have a spectacular race between the rest.

Clearly Ross Brawn left behind a pretty good package. He made sue the right people ere in place before he retired and if they can pull of this championship it really does deserve to be a part of Brawn's legacy too. Remember that this was his team.

My goodness McLaren was disappointing yesterday. Force India has made giant strides and Red Bull reliability seems to be improving. Williams does not appear to be as strong as we were expecting, but they are still really good.

While we could be in for a year of Mercedes dominance, I suspsect at least Red Bull will eventually catch up. I'm not going to bet against either Red Bull or Newey, or Vettel. I am also surprised how good Ricciardo is.

On the driving standpoint, everyone seemed to really being going for it and keeping a level head. The joker of that deck was Maldonado, but I don't think he was quite as guity as some people are making it out t be. He didn't drive into the the Sauber..... the Sauber came down on him. Perhaps Maldonado did a bit of a die bomb, but once he was under him, there was nothing he could do to get out of the Sauber's way. Guiterrez only needed to give him a little bit of room and he would have sailed right past. I think Pastor gets the blame on this one partially because he deserves some of it, but also because he has been a bonehead so many times in the past.

Overall I very much enjoyed the race, though t would have been better if everyone behind Mercedes was in the same race with them.

Doc Austin
8th April 2014, 18:03
Aah but remember how Brawn dropped off towards the end of their season, and the Mercs aren't anywhere near as dominant as Jenson was that year.

Brawn dropped of because other teams copied their diffuser and caught up. That and I think once they got a big points lead that they got into championship cruise mode.

I think Mercedes has a very genuine advantage this time and only red Bull might be able to catch them, but it's going to take a lot of effort.

steveaki13
8th April 2014, 19:42

Really. I would say Mercedes seem more dominant than Red Bull, Brawn and even Ferrari except for 2002 & 2004 perhaps.

Zico
9th April 2014, 23:42
Obviously circuit dependant. Less downforce, harder tyres yet..

Fastest lap Bahrain 2013 - Vettel 1:36.96
Fastest lap Bahrain 2014 - Rosberg 1:37.02

Only 6 hundredths of a second slower, I wonder how much quicker they will be than the 2013 cars on your average circuit by the end of the season.

MacFeegle
10th April 2014, 16:56
Thanks tazio, good transcript.

Interesting that Lewis had to burn fuel to get down to correct race point weight compare with Nico. Thought would be other way round but maybee was and not communication.

If that was total communication, surprised there is team asking about tyres. They have data. WTF