PDA

View Full Version : Managed Motorways

Brown, Jon Brow
15th February 2014, 22:06
Does anyone regularly use these upgraded stretches of motorway?

http://cms.ukintpress.com/UserFiles/Image/TTT%20images/M6-Managed.jpg

On Friday evening I was facing the daunting prospect of the M62 into Leeds at rush hour. But despite the usually Friday evening congestion, dreadful sleet, and severe gales the Managed Motorway traffic management kept the traffic flowing without any major problems. Enforcing a sensible speed limit in difficult conditions certainly helps to prevent accidents and unnecessary 'phantom' delays caused my morons who cause traffic jams by slamming on the brakes.

D-Type
16th February 2014, 12:30
Credit where credit's due - It's nice to see things working properly in the way the designers intended.

It's just too easy to see the negative side ofthings, e.g. how often do we see speed limits and fog warnings still being imposed even though the fog has long dispersed and visibility is good. Presumably the operators have better things to do than monitor the situation

Brown, Jon Brow
16th February 2014, 12:42
And I've heard that the speed cameras in the M62 stay on even when the overhead matrix is turned off, which is a bit sneaky in my opinion.

But for anyone who regularly used the M62 before the upgrade you will see that it is a massive improvement.

GridGirl
17th February 2014, 12:46
The managed traffic on the M62 only came into effect at the end of last yea and to be fair I havent used the M62 that much. I live in Leeds and currently work our of my firms office in Manchester but I would still rather get the train than drive the M62 twice a day. However, I previously lived in the Midlands where they have had such traffic management for years (at least 8 years maybe more) on the M42 and I used it regularly. I dont think I have ever known anyone get a ticket on the M42 though. I often wondered whether the camera's were switched on. :s

Mark
19th February 2014, 15:57
I believe, of course not confirmed, that when the signs are inactive the cameras are set for more like 80mph rather than 70mph.