PDA

View Full Version : World Rallycross Championship a.k.a RALLYX

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

pantealex
3rd July 2018, 08:59
Renting good WRX supercar cost more than renting WRC2, but way less than renting WRC17.

and even you had money, teams don´t have extra cars available, so you can only fight for places 6-12.

MrJan
3rd July 2018, 13:10
it seems that in the finals there is always the same 6 drivers.

Not one race this season has had the same 6 drivers in the final.

Why are Audi etc in RX? Because it'll be comparatively cheap (compared to WEC, F1 & WRC), a lot of countries have free to view coverage, it's more accessible than WRC (not spread over 3-4 days) and the championship is going electric so they can boast about eco credentials (which will help them gloss over dieselgate...why do you think VW threw money at Pikes Peak). It may not be considered 'serious' motorsport by many, but as a advertising vehicle it strikes me as pretty good 'bang for buck'.

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd July 2018, 16:07
It's mostly the same driver's / teams in the Finals as they are the best. Thats how sport works.

Other drivers and teams have the chance to come in and compete but they havent been able to beat the established guys.

One idea might be to reduce the number of Qualifying rounds, so if a top guy has a bad race someone lower down could have chance to make a SF or Final...

Myrvold
3rd July 2018, 16:29
It seems that Whatever EKS do he will be penalized. Earlier this season Petter went for a gap and EKS got DSQ, now EKS goes for a gap and gets DSQ.

Quite an important difference. Solberg was beside, and was always beside. Ekström never cleared Solberg, and turned in.
Here he just drove in to Hansen to make his gap. As Ekström said himself to Swedish Television, when he looked at the footage, he realized he should've been 20-30cm further in to avoid contact in the first place.

tbtstt
3rd July 2018, 20:34
How are you suppose to find new talent and any interest to a sport when no one can afford it, Nitiss and Heikkinen were both forced to stop when they couldn't find enough money to back their seasons.
I'm sure money was a factor, but Heikkinen hasn't delivered any decent results for some time, the EKS S1 was wasted in his hands last year.

The six works cars (seven if you include Kevin Hansen) have had a ton of money and development thrown at them, so it's to be expected that those cars are going to be certainties for the semis. With a decent development driver pushing them I think the GCK cars could be regular finalists as well, but I don't think Chichiret or Grosset-Janin have the experience to help refine the cars (Grosset-Janin is a great driver though).

Why are Audi committed to the WRX? Electric rallycross. They were one of the first manufacturers to talk about it.

Alpha
5th July 2018, 08:47
Kristofferson has been dominant this year, and impressively so. The package of car and driver is very solid, so it's well deserved.
From second to seventh it's very even, a lot more even than it has been for years and years in WRC. And every round this year has had either shocking results, incidents or weather, or all of the above. So yeah, it's nothing like watching paint dry (WRC). For instance, would have imagined a week ago that Grosset-Janin would claim third place in Höljes?

JUF
5th July 2018, 18:30
Some more news about how World RX will look like from 2020 on:

-The final decision about the introduction of electric cars will be made on August 15 this year
-Peugeot, VW, Audi and Ford are expected to join, Volvo and BMW are interested, but no-one really believes that we will see them on the grid
-The chassis kit built by Oreca will cost 750.000 Euros, additionally 3-5 Mio. Euros have to be paid for the development costs
-Manufacturers have to build four cars, presumably they will not be sold to privateers, but entered by the manufacturers themselves (splitting is possible, e.g. Volkswagen Motorsport two cars, PSRX two cars)
-From 2021 on manufacturers have to build six cars, this might be a chance for privateers to buy them
-If privateers want to build their own cars, they have to use "neutral" body shells designed by the FIA to make sure that there is no "concealed" manufacturer involvement (otherwise they have to pay the full amount for the development costs of the chassis etc. like every other manufacturer)
-Renault/Nissan was interested in World RX, but decided to concentrate on Formula E
-No Hyundai involvement as well, Marcus Grönholm is unhappy about the all-electric switch and won't return with his own team
-Olsbergs MSE hasn´t made a final decision yet, but right now they don´t expect to be supported by Ford Performance, so probably no involvement
-STARD is the only privateer team which is interested in World RX, but there might be a chance that it becomes a real manufacturer team (Stohl has good links to China, so maybe a Chinese manufacturer)
-no information what Euro RX will look like

In summary: probably 16 cars in 2020 (each manufacturer four cars), no privateer teams

Franky
5th July 2018, 18:54
Just a hypothetical question. When the fire breathing machines are banned from WRX, could someone create a championship for the fire breathing monsters that with well designed marketing and promoting goes past the popularity of WRX?

giu canbera
5th July 2018, 19:14
Just a hypothetical question. When the fire breathing machines are banned from WRX, could someone create a championship for the fire breathing monsters that with well designed marketing and promoting goes past the popularity of WRX?

EuroRX will probably continue as it is. With the Petrol cars

giu canbera
5th July 2018, 19:16
Talking about EuroRX, the Fia Euro Autocross champioship had another "crazy" crash on the Super Buggy finale. I believe all five races from this season had a big crash envolving the Super Buggys... but still..its one of the coolest racing series from nowadays IMO. Driver was OK
https://twitter.com/FIAEuroAX/status/1014155018235273216

Btw... 5 races, 5 different winners. Just hope FIA doesnt plans to make it a WOrld Series with manufacturer teams beating everybody... hehe

giu canbera
16th July 2018, 18:56
GCK started a pool to know how much we support the electric RX thing:
https://www.facebook.com/545713822105560/app/126231547426086/?app_data=%7B%7D

And heres one good comment

"RX engine's sound are the BEST THING in nowadays motorsport IMO, but tbh, if it stays easy to watch on the internet, if it have some more free to air tv in europe, if the cars are really more powerfull than the current petrol cars and if they really have a new crazy-agressive look then maybe this electricRX series could help to calm racing fans down when it comes to electric cars u'know? Electric cars in rallycross are the ONLY space where the e-cars could really be faster than the petrol series. (FE is slower than F1, MotoE is slower than MotoGP, eTCR is slower than WTCC etc). So that may help..... Im in the "middle". I LOVE nowaday's petrol cars but I also like the new tech so IDK what to say. Just dont be slower than the EuroRX cars that will continue to be petrol cars. I also like the idea that FIA will demand manufatcurers to have one or two satelite/costumer teams. That should help the "Privateer" teams when it comes to costs. Lets see how it goes"

stefanvv
16th July 2018, 19:04
FE is slower than F1, MotoE is slower than MotoGP, eTCR is slower than WTCC etc

They're slower because they're heavier with all the batteries. I don't thing that'll be the case with RX as there are not much capacity requirements.

Anyway that's the direction manufacturers will go, especially VAG group. Don't expect them to be more sound exciting though.

giu canbera
16th July 2018, 20:17
They're slower because they're heavier with all the batteries. I don't thing that'll be the case with RX as there are not much capacity requirements.

Anyway that's the direction manufacturers will go, especially VAG group. Don't expect them to be more sound exciting though.

Thats what it was said. That electric RX is going to be the first series where the Electric cars are faster than the "petrol" series. (Like those examples)

stefanvv
16th July 2018, 21:08
Thats what it was said. That electric RX is going to be the first series where the Electric cars are faster than the "petrol" series. (Like those examples)

That's not what it says, it says "it could", which is in the space of probability. Anyway there is no revolution, they are already faster at the pinnacle of hill climb racing, i.e. Pikes Peak.

MrJan
17th July 2018, 12:46
Interesting that the VW Pikes Peak car won the shoot Out at Goodwood FOS on Sunday but was still off the mark for the outright record. Was impressive to watch it especially when Dumas nearly crashed on one run right in front of the house however still sounded like a washing machine rather than a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDsAQ2Q4fm0

Have you seen the Heidfeld record run? It's crazy quick regardless of what tech.

I'm still torn on the idea of ElectricRX, on one hand the torque and power will be spectacular but on the other it'll be a huge shame to lose the theatre and sound of current supercars. I'd like to see the two classes continue to run, but not sure if the money will be there to sustain it. Maybe IMG/Monster should spend less money on freebies and flying birds in leather kecks around the world.

mknight
17th July 2018, 13:06
The F1 car has more than double power/weight ratio...no suprise it's faster on a track like that.

tbtstt
3rd August 2018, 09:57
So the World Championship is back this weekend: can anyone stop Kristoffersson?

Alpha
3rd August 2018, 13:45
If yes then it's probably Solberg.

giu canbera
3rd August 2018, 17:43
The French RX series upload their races on youtube. They posted the 6 races that already happened this year. They are on the summer vacation. Theres 4 rounds left yet.
Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/user/rallycrossfrance/videos
The "supercar final" is always the last part of the video. Chicherit is racing that championship with a Clio.

And tbh Im enjoying more these national series than the WorldRX. Idk why... I think Im not a huge fan of manufacturers racing in RallyCross. I like when its all privateers, maybe a customer team.. u'know?
I really like watching the EuroRX races during the WRX broadcast.

THeres the Argentinian RX series too, with MaxiRally cars. They have way less power, but the racing is good too
Heres the round 2 finale -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAjUCDV_2E4

And heres the first 3 races from Nordic RallyX. Its one of my favorite championships too
https://vimeo.com/feedbackstcc

Anyway. Hope you are all crazy bout rallycross like me! hehe Enjoy

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
3rd August 2018, 21:29
I hate to say this, but I think COTA's RX track is too short..

Sent from my A12 using Tapatalk

MrJan
4th August 2018, 02:21
So the World Championship is back this weekend: can anyone stop Kristoffersson?

First thought is no, but EKS seem to have done a fair bit of testing and in the FB interview with Bakkerud he suggested that they've made several changes. I get the feeling that Peugeot are quick enough to challenge VW but haven't had the luck.

Ekstrom has got a decent Q1 grid to start off with, and yet again Peugeot have a raw deal where all 3 are in the same race. If they have any sense they'll just get heads down and try to set the time, but Larsson and Baumanis are always going to be racey.

Fast Eddie WRC
4th August 2018, 22:10
Nice to watch WRX Qualifying live on a Sat night from Canada.

Loeb fastest in Q1.

MrJan
4th August 2018, 22:25
Loving it, been watching ARX and WRX all evening, with IMSA.tv in between.

Initially seems like Audi and Peugeot have made big gains in the summer break and looking pretty equal with VW...or VW just had poor luck with being shuffled out and getting caught after the joker. Definitely looks like the big 3 are further ahead of GRX & OMSE than earlier races.

Fast Eddie WRC
4th August 2018, 22:36
Yep, the 3 big teams all seem much closer now.

Peugeot looking especially good here with Loeb's neat driving.

N.O.T
5th August 2018, 17:53
In 40 minutes dogs !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYWXhRN7c_Y

Fast Eddie WRC
5th August 2018, 21:14
So Kristophersson beats Loeb to 1st place by 1 point after Q4.

Loeb was 'taken out' by Ekstrom in Q3, but for me it was a racing incident.

https://i.imgur.com/SjykxHZ.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
5th August 2018, 22:22
What an end to SF2 ... crazy Loeb mistake and fight to the line with Timur !

MrJan
6th August 2018, 10:02
Action packed weekend, plenty of incidents to discuss. The Loeb/EKS struck me as a racing incident, if anything more as a result of Loeb drifting wide. Great to see Baumanis in the final but it highlighted how far off the pace those guys are that he finished so far down. Very nearly an epic drive from Bakkerud in the semi too, I wonder if he had let off a bit once he was down in 4th (i.e could he actually have been close enough to take advantage of Loeb's mistake). Really got me hyped for my visit to Latvia next month.

tomhlord
6th August 2018, 10:50
A great event overall and nice to see Audi and Peugeot closer to the VW. But Kristofferson, he's the ultimate professional. It may seem a little dull, in terms of headlines, that he wins all the time. But in the future, this will be looked back upon as the making of a legend.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2018, 14:49
To win the event from 9th after Q2 is impressive. And it wasnt due to any VW car-superiority as the Peugeots and Audis were now pretty much equal on pace.

A shame for Loeb though, it would've been good to see if he could win without those mistakes.

Rally Power
6th August 2018, 18:37
Curious to see how eWRX will evolve. For now it’s amazing how fast the changes were decided and how easily manus accepted the use of a common chassis; like in Formula E, it seems it’s more about marketing and getting ASAP into EV’s hysteria than really trying to improve the sport.

Btw, Loehac organizer is one of the few standing against eWRC; according to him, with eWRX replacing WRX, Rallycross is in danger: https://www.autohebdo.fr/autres-courses/rallycross/actualites/coup-de-gueule-du-patron-de-loheac-le-rallycross-est-en-danger-196666.html

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
7th August 2018, 19:40
Curious to see how eWRX will evolve. For now it’s amazing how fast the changes were decided and how easily manus accepted the use of a common chassis; like in Formula E, it seems it’s more about marketing and getting ASAP into EV’s hysteria than really trying to improve the sport.

Btw, Loehac organizer is one of the few standing against eWRC; according to him, with eWRX replacing WRX, Rallycross is in danger: https://www.autohebdo.fr/autres-courses/rallycross/actualites/coup-de-gueule-du-patron-de-loheac-le-rallycross-est-en-danger-196666.htmlOnly Loheac or French in general..?

MrJan
7th August 2018, 19:55
I think he's referring to the sport in general, however people have to ask themselves whether the whole sport is in danger as a result of eRX, or just the WRX. In that article he complains about electric, but also that privateers are driven out by the high cost as a result of having manufacturers involved.

Surely if that's the case then having the manufacturers focus on eRX is a good thing? They can go and do that while all the privateer teams (Munnich, DA, probably OMSE, Pucher etc.) can have a championship more like European Rallycross used to be. Difficulty will be getting a promoter.

Interesting that people like circuit owners are speaking out against WRX/IMG, according to the Albatec website "average reach across all platforms per event rising from 430,000 in 2013 to 6.7 million in 2014 and live event attendance was another success story with a 130% increase in fans attending races in 2014." so places like Loheac have almost certainly benefitted, if only in the short term.

http://albatecracing.com/?page_id=10

Rally Power
7th August 2018, 23:17
I think he's referring to the sport in general, however people have to ask themselves whether the whole sport is in danger as a result of eRX, or just the WRX. In that article he complains about electric, but also that privateers are driven out by the high cost as a result of having manufacturers involved.

Surely if that's the case then having the manufacturers focus on eRX is a good thing? They can go and do that while all the privateer teams (Munnich, DA, probably OMSE, Pucher etc.) can have a championship more like European Rallycross used to be. Difficulty will be getting a promoter.

Interesting that people like circuit owners are speaking out against WRX/IMG, according to the Albatec website "average reach across all platforms per event rising from 430,000 in 2013 to 6.7 million in 2014 and live event attendance was another success story with a 130% increase in fans attending races in 2014." so places like Loheac have almost certainly benefitted, if only in the short term.

http://albatecracing.com/?page_id=10

He mostly complains about events organizers not being listen about eWRX sudden introduction (it was supposed to be a step by step process) and the lack of future for private teams in it, like you've mentioned.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
9th August 2018, 16:53
I hate to say this, but apparently, GRC's YouTube channel has been deleted..

giu canbera
16th August 2018, 00:07
I hate to say this, but apparently, GRC's YouTube channel has been deleted..

Mate... "GRC" has been deleted hehe

giu canbera
16th August 2018, 00:10
With the eWRX becoming a playground for the manufacturers, I just hope the EuroRX get back to its original place u'know? +20 Privateers, 8 or 9 tracks per year... Places like Lydden Hill, Loheac, Valkenswaard, Nyirad, that track in Austria. Poland, Czech Rep, Estering (who is probably leaving in 2019 - heard something on twitter)

#MakeEUROrxGreatAgain HAHAHAH

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
16th August 2018, 11:17
e-WRX will be postponed until 2021..

MrJan
16th August 2018, 13:34

And now the OMSE Civic has been homologated for FIA so can be used in WRX and ARX.

Real shame if Estering goes, it's one of the best events on the calendar. I even overhead a rumour that Holjes is going after 2019 but I find that hard to believe given it's probably the best attended event of the season. Love the idea of EuroRX not being a support series and having a complete different list of tracks that are more traditional. Lets be honest, most of us would rather see Lydden instead of Silverstone or COTA...although Franciacorta was an entertaining track.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th August 2018, 13:48
FIA World Rallycross Championship to postpone introduction of electric cars until 2021 to give manufacturers optimal time to develop their plans.

Full Story ➡️ https://t.co/mj6KyhEKzh

giu canbera
16th August 2018, 14:38
Real shame if Estering goes, it's one of the best events on the calendar. I even overhead a rumour that Holjes is going after 2019 but I find that hard to believe given it's probably the best attended event of the season. Love the idea of EuroRX not being a support series and having a complete different list of tracks that are more traditional. Lets be honest, most of us would rather see Lydden instead of Silverstone or COTA...although Franciacorta was an entertaining track.

I dont believe theres a single person in this planet that liked the Silverstone RX track haha
And COTA is also shit. IDK whats going on with WRX right now. Thats why I literally wish I could PAY to watch only the EuroRX coverage. All Qualys, semi and final.
Privateers, traditional european tracks and petrol engines. The manufacturer's playground (WRX) is kinda getting "Meh" to me. Its my favorite series, but its starting to lose its place to WRC and LOORRS.

About the electric cars I keep my opinion. Im all pro the WRX going electric - anytime - racing these shitty fake tracks as long I can watch EuroRX racing with only privateers in tracks like Lydden, Valkenswaard, Nyirad, Estering, Kouvola, Austria, Poland, Czech Rep, Vilkyciai...

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
16th August 2018, 14:48
I wonder if there's enough time to revamp COTA & Silverstone RX track..??

MrJan
16th August 2018, 18:07
What 'new' tracks do people actually like? By new I mean the ones built specifically for World RX at an existing circuit, such as COTA, Silverstone, Bikernieki, Catalunya, Hockenheim, Istanbul, Franciacorta etc.

Personally I think:
COTA - looks poor and not many places to pass.
Silverstone - left me cold, not the worst track but a poor replacement for Lydden
Bikernieki - I like, but the racing hasn't always been brilliatn
Catalunya - interesting joker merge and the corner after it, but the infield section is too slow and tight
Hockenheim - never liked it as a track but had some great races, including one of my favourite ever WRX races
Istanbul - terrible slow section that was just dust on tarmac, can't remember much else
Franciacorta - don't remember it too well other than it had some very quick bits and the first corner caused some carnage.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th August 2018, 20:46
"The FIA World Rallycross Championship will continue to be run for the current internal combustion engine (ICE) Supercars in 2019 and 2020. Beyond 2020, these ICE Supercars will remain an important part of the rallycross weekends, as the World Championship becomes an electric series."

So what are they saying, is the series going fully electric in 2021 or not ?

Or the ICE cars just going to be there for demo's or something ?

Rally Power
16th August 2018, 23:59

Nice; hopefully the delay will help them to realize that eWRX sucks.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
17th August 2018, 09:02
What 'new' tracks do people actually like? By new I mean the ones built specifically for World RX at an existing circuit, such as COTA, Silverstone, Bikernieki, Catalunya, Hockenheim, Istanbul, Franciacorta etc.

Personally I think:
COTA - looks poor and not many places to pass.
Silverstone - left me cold, not the worst track but a poor replacement for Lydden
Bikernieki - I like, but the racing hasn't always been brilliatn
Catalunya - interesting joker merge and the corner after it, but the infield section is too slow and tight
Hockenheim - never liked it as a track but had some great races, including one of my favourite ever WRX races
Istanbul - terrible slow section that was just dust on tarmac, can't remember much else
Franciacorta - don't remember it too well other than it had some very quick bits and the first corner caused some carnage.Mine would be Catalunya, Hockenheim, Istanbul 2015, & Mettet..

Fast Eddie WRC
17th August 2018, 18:19
Skoda for 2019
https://www.autosport.com/wrx/news/138076/first-fulltime-skoda-entry-for-world-rx

electroliquid
19th August 2018, 15:47
And possible driver is Nasser https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2638121709547156&set=p.2638121709547156&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Sub_Skoda
19th August 2018, 20:40
Skoda for 2019
https://www.autosport.com/wrx/news/138076/first-fulltime-skoda-entry-for-world-rx

Just a private entry...

giu canbera
21st August 2018, 02:49
"The FIA World Rallycross Championship will continue to be run for the current internal combustion engine (ICE) Supercars in 2019 and 2020. Beyond 2020, these ICE Supercars will remain an important part of the rallycross weekends, as the World Championship becomes an electric series."

So what are they saying, is the series going fully electric in 2021 or not ?

Or the ICE cars just going to be there for demo's or something ?

Full electric World RX cars for 2021... ICE cars will be used in EuropeanRX, probably.. which is GREAT cuz
EuroRX >>>>>>>>> WRX

giu canbera
21st August 2018, 02:54

European Autocross series is racing at Bauska in Latvia. IDK if it could suit WRX cars very well, but the track looks more interesting IMO
https://www.facebook.com/AtrumaCilts/videos/425085821298137/

Franciacorta was OK, I think.. Same for the Argentinian track. The South AFrican track is fine too
But these are not traditional places for RX. I can see a 2021 schedule being like
Silverstone, COTA, Barcelona, Tokyo, CHina, Australia, South Africa, Mexico, Hockenheim and stuff like that..
MEH. People talking about Holjes and Estering leaving the schedule too. This is terrible. IDK what to think other than "EuroRX gotta be bigger and independent" =/

tbtstt
21st August 2018, 11:12
Interesting to see that they have delayed the introduction of electric rallycross. There has certainly been a lot of manufacturer interest, but I wonder if some of them are reluctant to commit.

Concerning the "new" circuit I have liked Spain and Belgium. I would like to go to Riga, as that one seems to have promise. Italy was OK, though the dirt section rutted up terribly the last time the Championship was there. I do miss some of the circuits from the first season(s) of World RX though, especially Finland.

As others have said I hope that the rumoured split of World and Euro RX results in a European Championship for the "ICE" cars at traditional rallycross circuits. There is the potential to please everyone.

Alpha
26th August 2018, 22:18
Grosset-Janin leaves GCK immediately..? 😮
Wonder what happened.

steve.mandzij
26th August 2018, 23:04
European Autocross series is racing at Bauska in Latvia. IDK if it could suit WRX cars very well, but the track looks more interesting IMO
https://www.facebook.com/AtrumaCilts/videos/425085821298137/

Franciacorta was OK, I think.. Same for the Argentinian track. The South AFrican track is fine too
But these are not traditional places for RX. I can see a 2021 schedule being like
Silverstone, COTA, Barcelona, Tokyo, CHina, Australia, South Africa, Mexico, Hockenheim and stuff like that..
MEH. People talking about Holjes and Estering leaving the schedule too. This is terrible. IDK what to think other than "EuroRX gotta be bigger and independent" =/I went to the second event at the Argentine track in Rosario but frankly it wasn't too good. Yes, the event was exciting, but it was Silverstone-esque, cars driving through made up chicanes in the track's infield, no jumps and few exciting corners. The banked entry into the first chicane was cool, and so was the regular corner next to the joker (where Ekstrom and Bakkerud ate it), but it wasn't a terribly good circuit.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
26th August 2018, 23:17
Grosset-Janin leaves GCK immediately..?
Wonder what happened.To make a way for a certain Northern Irishman..?

Zeakiwi
27th August 2018, 09:03
Liam Doran with Chicherit in France.
http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/article/10107/doran-to-make-world-rx

Fast Eddie WRC
27th August 2018, 10:26
Whatever you think of Doran he is fast and spectacular. If he behaves himself it's good to have him back.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
27th August 2018, 14:11
Does Monster is still sponsoring Liam..?

N.O.T
27th August 2018, 16:55
Whatever you think of Doran he is fast and spectacular. If he behaves himself it's good to have him back.

he is a fat ugly worthless nobody that acts like a 12 year old brat with a rich dad in an overweight 30 year old body... the guy is a disgrace.

No sport needs him back...

OnlyRally
27th August 2018, 21:21
he is a fat ugly worthless nobody that acts like a 12 year old brat with a rich dad in an overweight 30 year old body... the guy is a disgrace.

No sport needs him back...
Somehow you sometimes just put the right words in the right order!

tbtstt
28th August 2018, 07:27
I'd say it's good news for GCK; I like Grosset-Janin, but I did wonder if he was the right driver to push the limits (and the development) of the Megane. Liam will drive that car hard and likely help push it forward.

That said, I can understand where the rest of you are coming from. The way Liam has conducted himself off (and sometimes on) track has been pretty bloody awful at times.

Does Monster is still sponsoring Liam..?
As far as I am aware, yes: I guess the side of the Megane will confirm that for us!

Interesting to know if it's for the rest of the season or just a one off drive for Loheac.

Essaj
29th August 2018, 19:04
Finnish media: Audi pulling their support from WRX after this season to focus in Formula E and DTM.

http://urheiluuutiset.com/audi-vetaytyy-rallicrossin-mm-sarjasta-sahkoautojen-mm-sarjalle-iso-takaisku/

Alpha
29th August 2018, 20:37
Audi will have to enjoy success in Formula-E before Porsche comes in and parks them. Just like in WEC/Le Mans. :D

stefanvv
29th August 2018, 21:08
Porsche has no interest in electric vehicles atm. But this is off-topic, going back to watch the paint drying....

giu canbera
30th August 2018, 01:21
Screw Audi and Ford. VW and Peugeot should go away too. And the international rounds
#MakeEuroRxGreatAgain
Privateers, traditional tracks and thats it

giu canbera
30th August 2018, 01:25
btw... Round 5 of the Scandinavian RallyX series at Kouvola - with Lots of FinnishRX cars racing together with the Scandinavian boys>>> https://vimeo.com/286901236
The Andreas Erikkson's kid vs Petter Solberg's kid vs Bryntensson's kid fight is getting hot! Just one more round to go in 2 months.

tbtstt
30th August 2018, 07:50
Finnish media: Audi pulling their support from WRX after this season to focus in Formula E and DTM.

http://urheiluuutiset.com/audi-vetaytyy-rallicrossin-mm-sarjasta-sahkoautojen-mm-sarjalle-iso-takaisku/
I would like to see this reported by one of the established rallycross news sites before I get too worried, but this doesn't seem like great news. I am also very surprised if this is true, as Audi were one of the first manufacturers to talk about electric rallycross.

Screw Audi and Ford. VW and Peugeot should go away too.
I believe Ford are one of those who are interested in electric. They haven't entirely gone away either; from what I understand there is some Ford involvement with OMSE.

btw... Round 5 of the Scandinavian RallyX series at Kouvola - with Lots of FinnishRX cars racing together with the Scandinavian boys>>> https://vimeo.com/286901236
The Andreas Erikkson's kid vs Petter Solberg's kid vs Bryntensson's kid fight is getting hot! Just one more round to go in 2 months.
RallyX Nordic has, in my opinion, been the best national rallycross championship this year by a long shot. Huge entries and some excellent racing. Love watching Oliver in the DS3: you can tell who has been teaching him how to drive it!

Oppositelock
30th August 2018, 09:56
[QUOTE=tbtstt;1190277]I would like to see this reported by one of the established rallycross news sites before I get too worried, but this doesn't seem like great news. I am also very surprised if this is true, as Audi were one of the first manufacturers to talk about electric rallycross.

Audi pulling the WRX plug is from official Audi press release

pantealex
30th August 2018, 13:34
Toomas "Topi" Heikkinen is also driving in Loheac with MJP Fiesta.

OT:
entire DTM series is ending so I don´t believe that Audi is focusing on it.

RX Kouvola was last round of Finnish championship, that´s why all Finns were driving.

and Porsche is actually making 2 different fully electric road cars, so E-formula would make sence

giu canbera
30th August 2018, 17:23
RallyX Nordic has, in my opinion, been the best national rallycross championship this year by a long shot. Huge entries and some excellent racing. Love watching Oliver in the DS3: you can tell who has been teaching him how to drive it!

Have you watched the FrenchRX series?
All races on youtube > https://www.youtube.com/user/rallycrossfrance/videos
Supercar finals are the last part of the videos.
Love those tracks, those cars and a few characters too! Great competition. IMO they are the best national championship right now.

Its fun that you can find lots of these national series on the internet now. BelgiumRX, ArgentininanRX, BritishRX is on Facebook, FrenchRx, PolishRX, That weird GermanRX series without supercars. RXAus from Australia, theres a few HungarianRX series on youtube too.. In the Netherlands, Czech Rep and Spain they have a big Autocross scene with lots of content on youtube too. THANK YOU INTERNET! THANK YOU! haha

Fast Eddie WRC
30th August 2018, 20:55
Full Loheac Qualifying live on WRX YouTube & FB.

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/article/10111/watch-world-rx-qualifying-free

Fast Eddie WRC
30th August 2018, 21:01
Info on the Loheac entries from fiaworldrallycross.com:

"With Jerome Grosset-Janin parting ways with the team and Liam Doran coming in to replace him alongside Guerlain Chicherit. The Briton’s last World RX appearance was at Holjes two years ago, so he will be fired-up to make his mark on his return.

Of the ten additional entries, four are homegrown, including former World RX front-runner Davy Jeanney – the first Frenchman to win an event at the pinnacle of international rallycross competition three years ago – and double French Rallycross Champion Gaetan Serazin.

In a high-calibre field, other names worthy of note are 2014 World Championship runner-up Toomas Heikkinen (MJP Racing Team Austria) – a driver with four previous Loheac starts under his belt – 2013 British Touring Car Champion Andrew Jordan in the sister Ford Fiesta, two-time DTM title-winner Timo Scheider in ALL-INKL.COM Muennich Motorsport’s SEAT Ibiza, 2015 European Rallycross Champion Tommy Rustad (Volkswagen Polo) and former British Rallycross Champion Ollie O’Donovan (Ford Fiesta)."

MrJan
30th August 2018, 21:09
Is Liam doing Latvia too? He's entered the Pikes Peak RS200 for the 'first speed hillclimb on mainland closed roads' at Watergate Bay (Newquay) but presume WRX would trump that?

giu canbera
30th August 2018, 23:40
Andreas "No Luck" Bakkerud, eh?
Lost his deal with Ford, now lost his deal with Audi
I mean.. the factory deal.
IDK if Ekstrom will pay for another season from his pocket

ESTR
31st August 2018, 02:55
Andreas "No Luck" Bakkerud, eh?
Lost his deal with Ford, now lost his deal with Audi
I mean.. the factory deal.
IDK if Ekstrom will pay for another season from his pocket

It's VW's fault.. Next one is probably all privaters.. and Peugeot

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
31st August 2018, 03:38
It's VW's fault.. Next one is probably all privaters.. and PeugeotAs long as it's still entertaining, we'll fine..

BTW, my only problem with RallyX Nordic is the semifinal & final laps are one lap shorter than usual (FRX has one more lap in the finals)

MrJan
31st August 2018, 13:50
Many have been saying that manufacturer input has killed the championship, sometimes I just wonder if people want to complain regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpha
31st August 2018, 15:19
Porsche has no interest in electric vehicles atm. But this is off-topic, going back to watch the paint drying....

Are you serious? With Taycan coming and the sport cross. And an entry into Formula E.. How much more serious can they get?

stefanvv
31st August 2018, 15:45
As much serious as the post previous of mine. I can use google, don't worry. What I meant is no interest for electric 911.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st August 2018, 20:54
Practice 1 - Supercar
1. Solberg
2. Grönholm +0.082
3. Kristoffersson +0.150
4. Loeb +0.172
5. Doran +0.268
6. Ekström +0.300
7. T. Hansen +0.529
8. K. Hansen +0.580
9. Bakkerud +0.586
10. Larsson +0.598
11. Timerzyanov +0.613
12. Chicherit +0.635
#LoheacRX #WorldRX https://t.co/1mPSrXtgHN

Fast Eddie WRC
1st September 2018, 13:02
Q1 now live on https://youtu.be/VqjV1-heX2E

MrJan
1st September 2018, 19:58
Some cracking racing today, really enjoyed watching a rerun of the live Facebook coverage. Johan is on a totally different level, GCK have made some gains and Bakkerud is looking racey. Chance for Doran and Chicherit to get through if they keep it clean tomorrow.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st September 2018, 22:23
Mega Q2 Race 5... Johan K going from last to the win was pretty special, and against most of the best guys.

Zeakiwi
1st September 2018, 23:51
As much serious as the post previous of mine. I can use google, don't worry. What I meant is no interest for electric 911.

There is likely to be a hybrid 911 at some stage. Porsche probably realise a few 911 enthusiasts would prefer an ev mode when caught in a traffic jam, rather than blipping the throttle on hundreds of fossil fuelled horses while going less than 5 km/h.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/porsche-911-plug-hybrid-will-be-most-powerful-ever

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd September 2018, 10:37
Again in Q3 R5 great racing by Johan K to find a way to win.

MrJan
2nd September 2018, 21:52
The spotters/strategy at EKS are garbage. Bakkerud clearly holding up Ekstrom, JK clearly quicker than Bakkerud. Should have jokered Andreas the lap after JK did, that way he at least stood a chance of getting track position. Instead they wait for a car that is known by everyone to be the quickest to close the gap. It looked to me that they could easily have jokered AB, used him to back up Johan and then Ekstrom could have slotted into the lead. Okay so Timmy might have done something, but that's less inevitable than what actually happened.
:arrows:

tbtstt
3rd September 2018, 08:50
Unbelievable performance from Kristoffersson. I don't deny that the Polo is the best car out there, but that means nothing unless it is driven properly. The last race of Q2 was incredible, I was on the inside of the last corner when Johan passed Andreas and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Superb drive in the final as well and, yet again, very poor tactical decision from EKS: that's another win they have given away (that said I thought they had enough of a lead to take the win, was stunned when Johan slotted into first!).

ESTR
3rd September 2018, 11:49
Boring. Now it's clear why they hold electrical thing for 2021... Manus escaping before they throw money through window because of that stupid volkswagens who are by the way ruining another sport.

MrJan
3rd September 2018, 12:00
Boring. Now it's clear why they hold electrical thing for 2021... Manus escaping before they throw money through window because of that stupid volkswagens who are by the way ruining another sport.

Don't be ridiculous. The aim of the sport is to win, you can't blame VW for doing that. You also can't blame VW for the stupid EKS strategy that clearly lost them a 1-2.

dimviii
3rd September 2018, 15:43
amazing photo
https://twitter.com/prodrive/status/1036527781700624389

Sulland
3rd September 2018, 17:18
Liam Doran showed some potential of the Prodrive Renault Megane.
Johan K again better than the rest.

Alpha
3rd September 2018, 19:58

There might be a hybrid or full electric 911 down the line. But it doesn't matter. Porsche is still very very serious about full electric and Porsche as a brand is a lot more than just the 911, thankfully. And I say that as a long time enthusiast that daily drives a 991 C4 GTS, far north of the arctic circle.

Just like Citroen ruined WRC for 10 years? Come on. They play by the rules, it's just that Petter and his team play better than all the others.

Liam Doran showed some potential of the Prodrive Renault Megane.
Johan K again better than the rest.

Too bad Liam is an idiot like before. He should have returned with a big "sorry for being an ass, I'm lucky to be back and will try hard to be a better man and driver and hopefully some fans will find me deserving of cheering on". Instead he was as unlikable as before. His comment to those who asked if he was ready to behave and be back without trouble: Look at Q3.
Then again, not sure if he was lucky to be back or just that his dads pockets are deep enough to get him back...

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd September 2018, 22:40
Missed the SF's from Loheac... can anyone find them as I cant on YouTube ?

ESTR
4th September 2018, 05:12
Just like Citroen ruined WRC for 10 years? Come on. They play by the rules, it's just that Petter and his team play better than all the others.

Is it fair that almost on all events JK is put into the Q1 with bunch of last ones on grid?? While the others (Bakkerud, Ekstrom, Solberg, Loeb, Hansens...) race against each other. Don't know how starting grid for Q1 works and is stupid and not fair by any means.

And money they said that they put enormous cash into the game without the limit...

Audi quitting means that probably Ekstrom will soon be out that means no Audis at all at the start line and again Bakkerud without the seat.

With PSA strict budgets I don't think that they will put all of their resources in RX just to be always second...

No that's not ruining the sport at all. And now tell me which manu is there?? Ford quitting before was too late.

Anoucement that e-rules is put for 2021 is far more worrying. I think manus is not that stupid even if they anounced that 9 are interested. I'm pretty sure that this number is reduced now to 3. If there is any interest at all...

pantealex
4th September 2018, 08:01
Is it fair that almost on all events JK is put into the Q1 with bunch of last ones on grid?? While the others (Bakkerud, Ekstrom, Solberg, Loeb, Hansens...) race against each other. Don't know how starting grid for Q1 works and is stupid and not fair by any means.

Q1 grid is based on lottery/draw, so every driver is equal to another, JK just has had better luck.
So yes, it´s fair, same chances for every driver.

MrJan
4th September 2018, 09:41
As I understand it VW didn’t put loads of money into WRX, they put in the effort for WRC and the WRX team was fortunate to pick up the pieces and take on a very well developed car. So all the RX team had to do was carry out the alterations to make it work for the new format. Both the Peugeot and Audi were built specifically as RX cars so as an RX team have probably had similar, if not more, money put to them. That’s just the nature of building a car from ground up rather than making adjustments to an already quick car.

You clearly don’t know enough about the sport to be commenting though, which is highlighted by the fact you don’t understand the Q1 draw. Maybe go away and learn something about WRX before you spout off on a forum.

Fast Eddie WRC
4th September 2018, 09:47
@FIAWorldRX is still VERY close. It’s just that one guy/car is doing it very well indeed... https://t.co/OgLj9M9ikn

Closest and biggest victory margins in @FIAWorldRX finals per season:
2018 🇫🇷 0,340s - 🇸🇪 2,977s
2017 🇪🇸 0,362s - 🇫🇷 3,581s
2016 🇩🇪 0,586s - 🇫🇷 3,417s
2015 🇨🇦 0,252s - 🇩🇪 4,901s
2014 🇩🇪 0,005s - 🇸🇪 10,442s

Alpha
4th September 2018, 11:07
@FIAWorldRX is still VERY close. It’s just that one guy/car is doing it very well indeed... https://t.co/OgLj9M9ikn

Closest and biggest victory margins in @FIAWorldRX finals per season:
2018 🇫🇷 0,340s - 🇸🇪 2,977s
2017 🇪🇸 0,362s - 🇫🇷 3,581s
2016 🇩🇪 0,586s - 🇫🇷 3,417s
2015 🇨🇦 0,252s - 🇩🇪 4,901s
2014 🇩🇪 0,005s - 🇸🇪 10,442s

When Petter won over Ekström by 0,005 seconds... <3

tbtstt
4th September 2018, 11:12
As I understand it VW didn’t put loads of money into WRX, they put in the effort for WRC and the WRX team was fortunate to pick up the pieces and take on a very well developed car.
I don't think VW put in "loads" compared to their WRC program but, from what I understand, they have invested more than the other manufacturers.

They obviously have a lot of knowledge about the chassis and already had a head start on the engine as well (having supplied the engine for the GRC Beetle).

The three works teams are all close, but Kristoffersson seems to be driving flawlessly at the moment.

Zeakiwi
4th September 2018, 20:53
Easy to see why WorldRX is getting so expensive. Prodrive renault - 1000 hours for chassis preparation - multiply out the hourly wages of the techs. Carbon fibre, radiator in the back. 4 way suspension. Adjustable diffs, multiple roll bars etc.
https://www.facebook.com/TotalRacingOfficial/videos/714944322199816/

Fast Eddie WRC
7th September 2018, 16:18
@Andrew_Coley:
Doing some @FIAWorldRX stats today; 5 minutes in and noticed @LiamDoran33 produced the highest qualifying position for @GCKRX so far this year...on his first outing in the car, and first world event in 2 years.

#Q6 #Boom #P2inQ3 🇬🇧💣

Myrvold
7th September 2018, 18:04
@Andrew_Coley:
Doing some @FIAWorldRX stats today; 5 minutes in and noticed @LiamDoran33 produced the highest qualifying position for @GCKRX so far this year...on his first outing in the car, and first world event in 2 years.

#Q6 #Boom #P2inQ3 ������

Damn how awful it was to listen to the races with Doran. For an international feed the commentators should absolutely be as neutral as possible.

In other news though, WRX may soon be history, more manufacturers are needed.

dimviii
9th September 2018, 08:21
https://rallysportmag.com/solberg-on-the-road-to-recovery-after-12-months-of-health-problems/

giu canbera
9th September 2018, 14:49
could Peugeot leave WRX too?
https://www.diariomotor.com/competicion/noticia/el-aplazamiento-del-futuro-electrico-del-world-rx-hace-dudar-a-peugeot-sobre-su-implicacion/

Is the Manufacturer's bubble exploding? hehe
WEC, WTCC and DTM lost big names already.

MrJan
10th September 2018, 11:24
Liam announced for Latvia, which will no doubt disappoint the organisers for the Watergate Bay hill climb who were probably stoked with the coup of him entering the RS200

Fast Eddie WRC
10th September 2018, 20:13
Damn how awful it was to listen to the races with Doran. For an international feed the commentators should absolutely be as neutral as possible.

Any driver returning to the series and showing decent speed would attract similar coverage.

If Doran was really slow he wouldnt get a mention.

MrJan
11th September 2018, 20:17
Looking forward to this weekend. Never been to Latvia before and there from Thursday evening to Tuesday so have a bit of time to wander around Riga (not sure how much there is to do though, a mate googled it and number 4 on the list was 'feed the ducks').

Racing will hopefully be good again, Liam will no doubt be a liability and there's a big EuroRX field as well. Not sure whether my mates are going to be into it though, none of them are really into motorsport. One of them watches a bit of F1 and we went to Monza before, but definitely not on the borderline obsessive fan that I am.

Myrvold
11th September 2018, 21:35
Any driver returning to the series and showing decent speed would attract similar coverage.

If Doran was really slow he wouldnt get a mention.

Not the mentions, I am all for giving people up and down the field some proper mentions and time, that only increases the value of participation - which is needed now, the field can shrink quite a bit again for next year.
But, like Coley said himself "I am supposed to be neutral, but..." - he wasn't.

MrJan
11th September 2018, 21:51
I like Coley's style, it's clear that he's got his favourites but to me that's just him being a big fan. Not only that but what Liam did was deserving of being mentioned, the move from 5th to 1st in qualifying was a move that should be raved about. I don't think it's different to how he raves about Loeb or will shout things like "yes, Timmy! Full gas" or "go on Timur!!" Why try and neutralise that?

Myrvold
12th September 2018, 20:10
I like Coley's style, it's clear that he's got his favourites but to me that's just him being a big fan. Not only that but what Liam did was deserving of being mentioned, the move from 5th to 1st in qualifying was a move that should be raved about. I don't think it's different to how he raves about Loeb or will shout things like "yes, Timmy! Full gas" or "go on Timur!!" Why try and neutralise that?

Because that's a heat of the moment shout-cheer. Not "because it is driver X". Again he said it himself that he wasn't neutral - that is my issue.
And yes, that race was bloody awesome!

tbtstt
13th September 2018, 11:47
Uploaded some pictures from Loheac this morning, few of my faves:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1847/30781442138_513ab062cb_b.jpg

Not unusual to see six cars together in a rallycross final, but pretty cool to see them so close at the end of the race.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1855/44651911691_e9e723a6ca_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1873/30781447298_0c346ed827_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1881/44651913691_a8af281570_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1862/29713724657_e10c53e0a9_b.jpg

Lots more shots here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22961613@N06/albums/72157701279078175

For any of you who might be interested!

Myrvold
14th September 2018, 18:51
Lots more shots here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22961613@N06/albums/72157701279078175

For any of you who might be interested!

Mark Rennison and Matti Alamäki cars. I like it. Would've been awesome to have them appear as well, not only Rob Gibson! :)

tbtstt
14th September 2018, 19:22
Mark Rennison and Matti Alamäki cars. I like it. Would've been awesome to have them appear as well, not only Rob Gibson! :)
They aren't the original Rennison/Alamaki cars; both are recently built and wearing original liveries, they looked great on track! The RS200 is an LD Motorsport built car owned by Steve Harris, I believe the 205 T16 is a Vaison build, not sure who owns it.

deephouse
15th September 2018, 10:47
https://www.facebook.com/fiaworldrallycross/videos/578456159253705/ Q1 live RX of Latvia

Fast Eddie WRC
15th September 2018, 16:05
Johan-K showing his class again in Latvia, Q1 & Q2 winner.

SubaruNorway
16th September 2018, 12:39
What countries work to use for VPN on the live stream again?

tomhlord
16th September 2018, 12:39
I think it may be time for WorldRX to introduce a privateer cup. Not changing the race format at all, but the top non-VW/Audi/Peugeot driver and team get a cup and something to aim for. May help with sponsorship too. Of course, if they win outright, they still win outright. It's a concept that has worked well in touring car racing for a number of years.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th September 2018, 13:47
Usual win for Johan-K.

Nice race by Grönholm and nearly a first podium. He's really improved this year.

tomhlord
17th September 2018, 13:22
What countries work to use for VPN on the live stream again?

France.

tbtstt
17th September 2018, 17:26
Another flawless drive from Johan.

Definitely agree with regards to Niclas. Another excellent drive from him, he seems to have made a massive leap forwards this year.

Great weekend for Nitiss. I think he is a deserving Champion. Superb drive from Raymond as well, just a pity someone didn't put that pillock Marklund into a barrier to make it the perfect weekend in the Euros.

MrJan
18th September 2018, 09:38
Szabo, Nitiss and Raymond all clearly quicker in the Euros and stood out from the rest of the field.

Johan just immense all weekend, still have no idea how he avoided first corner shenanigans in every race.

Good weekend other than the rain at the close of play on Saturday. Some really exciting races on Saturday, especially the 1600s who weren’t very good at behaving. I was with a mate that doesn’t really like motorsport so seeing two cars roll in the first 5 races was a good introduction.

Couple of downsides, primarily that you can’t take food or drink into the circuit, don’t think I’ve ever seen that at another motorsport venue. Also I couldn’t work out how to wander the track as I wanted to watch down by the forest section where general admission can go. In the end spend the whole weekend in grandstand B overlooking the last corner, seemed the best spot on the track IMO. Oh and hated having music playing at the start of the race, the sound of anti-lag provides far more theatre than some crappy electronic music.

Thinking of heading back next year though, Riga old town is very nice and found a great bar that had decent live music (mostly cover bands) every evening.

tbtstt
18th September 2018, 09:49
Couple of downsides, primarily that you can’t take food or drink into the circuit, don’t think I’ve ever seen that at another motorsport venue. Also I couldn’t work out how to wander the track as I wanted to watch down by the forest section where general admission can go. In the end spend the whole weekend in grandstand B overlooking the last corner, seemed the best spot on the track IMO. Oh and hated having music playing at the start of the race, the sound of anti-lag provides far more theatre than some crappy electronic music.

Thinking of heading back next year though, Riga old town is very nice and found a great bar that had decent live music (mostly cover bands) every evening.
Very interested to read your thoughts on the circuit (and Riga in general). Of the European rounds this looks like one of the easier ones to attend as everything (i.e. airport and town center) seem to be in very close proximity to the circuit.

I did wonder about the viewing situation as, from the TV coverage, you only see spectators in the grandstands and nowhere else around the track. What was the overview of the whole track like from your grandstand? Did you have to reserve the grandstand seats, or did you just pick the ones you wanted?

MrJan
19th September 2018, 10:47
It’s really easy to get to as a quick bus journey from airport to old town and then a short walk and bus to the track.

Viewing is a bit limited so you watch a lot of the race on the screen, from where we were it was a case of watching the TV for the back half of the track but had good visibility of the joker section, last corner and first chicane. Commentary and interviews are partly in English so you don’t feel completely cut off by virtue of being too lazy to learn Latvian.

You have tickets to a specific grandstand but in our stand it’s first come/first serve and a lot of people put stuff on seats to claim them. Easy to find spots on your own but a bit trickier in a group of 4.

Riga itself is very nice in the old town and we were near some really good bars and shops. Don’t expect 50p a pint though. There weren’t as many stag parties as I expected, just a few about on Saturday evening. There are some pretty run down parts as well and a few spots I wouldn’t be keen to walk at night on my own. Oh and a lot of people inviting you to strip clubs.

We were there as part of a longer holiday so had a bit more chance to explore. Went to see some basketball on the Friday evening which was entertaining enough (largely because of the cheerleaders, can’t say I really ‘get’ basketball), and a few museums and stuff on Monday. The KGB building was quite eye opening, so we cheered ourselves up with a visit to the war museum...certainly puts returning to work today into perspective.

tbtstt
19th September 2018, 10:55
Cheers for that info MrJan. Having done far fewer World RX trips than I would like in 2018 I am hoping to rectify that next year and Riga is definitely one of those towards the top of my list.

Just seen the news that Mettet is off the 2019 calendar, real shame to see that go as I liked the circuit and Mettet was the easiest European round to get to from the UK.

tomhlord
19th September 2018, 10:56
Johan just immense all weekend, still have no idea how he avoided first corner shenanigans in every race.

P1 in Q1, 3 and 4 gave him the inside line pole for the one subsequent round. Of course, he made great starts, but this was a big help.

MrJan
19th September 2018, 11:59
Cheers for that info MrJan. Having done far fewer World RX trips than I would like in 2018 I am hoping to rectify that next year and Riga is definitely one of those towards the top of my list.

Just seen the news that Mettet is off the 2019 calendar, real shame to see that go as I liked the circuit and Mettet was the easiest European round to get to from the UK.

Yeah, I spent most of yesterday thinking about where I want to go next year. Thinking of Riga again as it’ll be a good trip with the old man. I’m also keen on Loheac but ferries cost a fortune and flights seem to be SEN which is a long drive for me!
Haven’t seen anything of the 2019 calendar but Estering looks like a fun track and reasonably close to Hamburg.

tbtstt
19th September 2018, 12:13
Yeah, I spent most of yesterday thinking about where I want to go next year. Thinking of Riga again as it’ll be a good trip with the old man. I’m also keen on Loheac but ferries cost a fortune and flights seem to be SEN which is a long drive for me!
Haven’t seen anything of the 2019 calendar but Estering looks like a fun track and reasonably close to Hamburg.
This year is the first time I have done Loheac by air rather than road and it was a much easier weekend.

When doing it by road we have set off in the early hours of Friday in order to arrive (at self-catering accommodation) in the Loheac area Friday afternoon. We have driven back immediately after the final on Sunday but it's a race to make it back for the last train (plus it makes it a really long day), so the preferable option has been to head back home on the Monday.

This time we flew to Rennes (via Southend) on Friday morning. We hired a car from the airport and stayed at a hotel just outside the airport and right beside the motorway. It was a 20 minute drive to the circuit (down the motorway) and the track is right beside the exit so we were able to go to the Friday evening practice as well as the two days of racing.

We flew back (to City airport) on Sunday evening, so we had to leg it to the car as soon as the final finished in order to get out of the circuit ASAP. The final finished at 4 and we were at Rennes airport with the hire car returned and a beer in hand by quarter past 5: the flight out was at 7 so it worked out perfectly. The time shift worked in our favour heading home, so we landed in the UK at 7 and I was home by 9.

It was more expensive going with the flight/hire car/hotel option (especially as just two of us made the journey when we have previously gone with three or four in the car), but the travel was a lot more relaxing!

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
19th September 2018, 13:58

Just seen the news that Mettet is off the 2019 calendar, real shame to see that go as I liked the circuit and Mettet was the easiest European round to get to from the UK.That's sucks.. Looks like WRX will go to Spa..

MrJan
19th September 2018, 14:20
When I looked at Loheac it was possible to get an early morning flight so you land at 10am and practice didn’t start until 12pm, so in theory could get there for the start. Flight back was about 10pm, so again you could be home on Sunday evening. The problem for me is that Southend is about 5 hours drive away. The other option is to get the ferry from Plymouth on a Friday night, getting to France at 8am, then sail back on Monday. Trouble with that is the ferry is £400 even without a cabin to sleep in.

Hell was easily done with camping etc. landing late Friday night and coming home on the Sunday. If I lived closer to LHR/LGW then these trips would be far easier, but really I need to leave Exeter at least 6 hours before flight time to be safe.

Any clues what tracks might want to replace Mettet?

giu canbera
19th September 2018, 18:34
WHAT!?!! No more Mettet? SPA is the rumor???
WTF IS HAPPENING TO MOTORSPORTS =´[

MrJan
19th September 2018, 18:44
Where would they put a track in Spa? Can't remember a whole load of space that wasn't on a hill!

giu canbera
19th September 2018, 22:45
btw... Nitiss won the EuroRX title using an old Ken Block GRC Fiesta...
I wonder if Ken is sad or happy to see his car winning an european title....but not at his hands hehe

EuroRX (at least a few semis and the finals) were very great to watch. Marklund, Nitiss, Cyril, Bryntesson and Szabo had some advantage with those "kinda costumer" (?) programs... But it was way more interesting than watching Johan winning every weekend. Hope for more coverage in 2019. Hoping for more old school tracks too tbh... And more WorldRX privateer teams with not much money to compete in the WOrldRX, like Prodrive, OMSE and Gronholm teams. Sorry IMG

tbtstt
20th September 2018, 00:40
btw... Nitiss won the EuroRX title using an old Ken Block GRC Fiesta...
I wonder if Ken is sad or happy to see his car winning an european title....but not at his hands hehe
It's not an ex-Block GRC Fiesta. M-Sport initially built two rallycross Fiestas; one was the "RX43", the Fiesta that Block used in the GRC (and also in several gymkhana films).

The second Fiesta was owned by M-Sport and used by Block when he made his first European rallycross appearances in 2014 (at Hell and Loheac). I have seen several articles state it's an "ex-Block" car, which is incorrect. Block never owned that particular car, he just drove it on those two occasions.

That Fiesta was subsequently used by Niclas Gronholm in 2017 before being driven by Nitiss in the Euros this year. Set Promotion were running the car for Reniss.

Block, Loheac, 2014:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5558/15109406408_9456fb6926_b.jpg

Gronholm, Barcelona, 2017:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2868/34008817385_f35ac2a028_b.jpg

Nitiss, Barcelona, 2018:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/975/27819828438_22c2dbf8b5_b.jpg

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
20th September 2018, 03:18
How many M-Sport Fiesta RX exists currently..?

If ARX gets a full livestream coverages, then ERX should too..

MrJan
20th September 2018, 07:12

If ARX gets a full livestream coverages, then ERX should too..

ARX gets full livestream because it has no TV deal. World RX does full livestream in countries that don’t have TV deal, if they did it worldwide then no one (TV companies) would want to pay for the rights to show it.

tbtstt
20th September 2018, 08:23
At least six, possibly more. Block had the first car with the second build the "hire" car that I mentioned in my previous post.

Chip Ganassi Racing and Bryan Herta Autosport both used a pair of cars in the GRC so that takes the total to six.

I think it might be seven as AD Racing ran two cars in the 2016 season and I can't see where their second car came from unless there were seven chassis in total.

Would love to see more of M-Sport Fiestas running in Europe as it's my favourite of the current cars.

tbtstt
20th September 2018, 09:40
Forgive the double post, but Liam Doran confirmed at GCK for the rest of the season. He will be joined by Anton Marklund in a third car.

http://www.rootsmgmt.com/portfolio/gck-announce-driver-line-up-for-remainder-of-2018-wrx-season/

Myrvold
20th September 2018, 10:22
That's sucks.. Looks like WRX will go to Spa..

From what I understand, is that there won't be a round there at all.
I might be wrong, but I thought the plan was to remove 3 European rounds, and replace them with tracks outside Europe. (Asia?)

MrJan
20th September 2018, 11:06
I'd like to see either a Japanese round or a return to Argentina would be good...but that really increases costs for the teams.

tbtstt
20th September 2018, 11:20
I might be wrong, but I thought the plan was to remove 3 European rounds, and replace them with tracks outside Europe. (Asia?)
I have seen an article being shared about this, but I haven't seen anything to support the claim yet.

Sub_Skoda
20th September 2018, 12:04

Russia maybe :p

giu canbera
21st September 2018, 21:32
RX should go to places wheres there are local tracks, fan base, a few regional series... like in European countries, not in Asia, Africa... heck, not even in America. GRC (with big $) Failed cuz theres no fan base, local tracks, amateur series... Theres nothing to sustain it. It wasnt growing. The "growth" was just cuz of the "buzz" from having cool cars and big xgames stars racing in parking lots at LA, NY, DC, Detroit, Vegas... all the big cities.
WorldRX schedule should have Lydden, Nyirad, Valkenswaard, Kouvola and places where there is an off road comunity and small championships, like Czech Rep, Poland, Italy...

MrJan
22nd September 2018, 20:44
Nitro Rallycross, definitely the American way of doing things. Can't believe there is such involved (and probably expensive) track, presumably they're using it for something else? And only 9 drivers? Remarkable amount of effort for so little, but I guess it works because I'm sat here watching it :laugh:

MrJan
29th September 2018, 17:11
Only watched ARX but is COTA the worst track on the calendar? Makes Silverstone look good.

JUF
29th September 2018, 18:19
This is true. Worst track and probably the weakest number of spectators...

Alpha
29th September 2018, 19:25
Wow, Petter really flying in Q1. And Kristofferson on p13! Didn't see that coming, even though he did get hopelessly caught in traffic.
And loved Petters last lap and the long right-hander outside the joker, that looked epic.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th September 2018, 23:05
Nice action in Q2 - good hard racing.

Solberg wins again and very emotional.

I also like this track esp the fast merge from the joker lap.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
30th September 2018, 05:06
Only watched ARX but is COTA the worst track on the calendar? Makes Silverstone look good.Yeah, because it's too short..

Alpha
30th September 2018, 13:41
So glad for Petter, it's great to see him back on form and I'm glad he's feeling better. He also said his eyes are better, and it looks like it. He put that VW through the chicane with barely a few cm's to spare. Loeb who usually is the precision master was way way off Petters ultra tight lines. Amazing to watch and it resulted in another fastest time. Great stuff!

jbmarcus21
30th September 2018, 20:47
Kristoffersson 2018 WRX Champion ► http://bit.ly/2DFprUQ

Fast Eddie WRC
30th September 2018, 22:38
Bit of a shame Solberg couldnt hang on to the lead but he already showed his speed and health are restored.

Congrats to Kristoffersson - 2nd WRX Title and in a different class. :champion:

MrJan
1st October 2018, 09:01
Was fantastic to see Petter being quick again, what a transformation! Oliver really took it pretty hard that he made the mistake, bless him.

Day 2 was a bit more interesting but I still can't say I'm sold on the track. The joker merge was quite good but the gravel section with a single line just makes things really tame to watch. When you compare it to even some of the tracks that have been dropped from the championship (Rosario, Mettet, Lydden) then I think it stands up quite poorly. Would be good to hear that they're thinking of changing some things but the main one for me is to change the gravel surface to something a bit more even.

rallyfiend
1st October 2018, 10:38
Given the horrible crowd numbers, the question will remain: will they ever go back?

tbtstt
1st October 2018, 11:25
Have to say I wasn't overly enamoured with the US track; couple of little sections were quite good (the joker merge was quite interesting and the cars seemed to be flying through that last chicane), but not a particularly exciting circuit overall.

Gutted for Solberg. Was great to see him back on the pace again (and seeming a bit perkier during interviews), such a shame he lost the lead a couple of corners from the finish.

As boring as his domination is, I still think Kristoffersson is a deserving champion.

tomhlord
1st October 2018, 11:28
Bit of a meh track, but there's nothing to say the layout couldn't be improved for future events.

MrJan
1st October 2018, 11:34
As boring as his domination is, I still think Kristoffersson is a deserving champion.

Even putting the performance of the VW to one side, he's been stand out this season. His first corner awareness, ability to raise his game and consistency are better than anyone else on the grid. The car has helped, but if, say, Ekstrom was in VW and Johan in Audi then i still think he'd have taken the title.

tbtstt
1st October 2018, 11:54
Bit of a meh track, but there's nothing to say the layout couldn't be improved for future events.
Yeah. I thought the Canadian track was pretty awful the first year, but they managed to improve that. Fingers crossed they can make some changes for the next time out.

Even putting the performance of the VW to one side, he's been stand out this season. His first corner awareness, ability to raise his game and consistency are better than anyone else on the grid. The car has helped, but if, say, Ekstrom was in VW and Johan in Audi then i still think he'd have taken the title.
Yeah, I fully agree. The team around him are obviously very accomplished as well; I think it's fair to say that EKS have thrown away two wins due to poor spotting whereas Johan, on the few occasions he has been caught mid-pack, has made sensible joker decisions which you could attribute to the team rather than the driver.

It was his mid-pack performance in France that most impressed me this year: even when things weren't going his way and he had traffic to deal with he was still absolutely flawless.

I would be very interested to see Johan in one of his rivals cars: I do wonder just how big the divide is between the Polo, S1 and 208 now (I personally think it has massively closed this year).

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
1st October 2018, 12:17
Bit of a meh track, but there's nothing to say the layout couldn't be improved for future events.I hope it would be more longer..

MrJan
1st October 2018, 12:21
I think both Audi and Peugeot have got closer, but I don't think the 208 has made as big a step forward. At the start of the season the Peugeot was very rapid and I would say the closest, but since the mid-season break (and the test in Latvia) I think EKS are now second best.

COTA has potential if they can consider a change. I liked the joker and merge, plus the quick chicane, but they need to do something wo give some more overtaking chances and I never like those tight hairpins that were also at Hockenheim, Catalunya, Turkey etc. They bottleneck the field but there's only one line through them. The hairpins like T3 at Lydden and T1 at Estering give a bit more opportunity to vary the line and get a run.

tomhlord
1st October 2018, 12:58
I think both Audi and Peugeot have got closer, but I don't think the 208 has made as big a step forward. At the start of the season the Peugeot was very rapid and I would say the closest, but since the mid-season break (and the test in Latvia) I think EKS are now second best.

It seems that way. Strange, becuase Peugeot has finally moved away from their R5 origins into a purpose-built rallycross car.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2018, 17:07
Main issue for the COTA was the joker lap right after the start so the first corner became nothing.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
2nd October 2018, 02:15
Little bit OOT, but does NRX full coverage exists..?

MrJan
2nd October 2018, 07:31
Little bit OOT, but does NRX full coverage exists..?

Not sure, it’s on Motor Trend but not sure if it’s behind a paywall.

tomhlord
2nd October 2018, 11:19
Yas Marina in for 2019.

SubaruNorway
2nd October 2018, 11:21
Not sure, it’s on Motor Trend but not sure if it’s behind a paywall.

14 day trail, just remember to unsubscribe

jbmarcus21
2nd October 2018, 11:40
Abu Dhabi enters to WRX 2019 as opening round ► http://bit.ly/2xTJlpF

MrJan
2nd October 2018, 12:43
14 day trail, just remember to unsubscribe

I’m already subscribed anyway, I like their content.

Can’t say I’m impressed that Abu Dhabi replaces Mettet. Not sure what the track layout is like but I’m not getting my hopes up for anything other than some Mickey Mouse bullshit again.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
2nd October 2018, 15:39
14 day trail, just remember to unsubscribeAnd I don't have a credit card..

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
2nd October 2018, 15:42
Abu Dhabi enters to WRX 2019 as opening round http://bit.ly/2xTJlpFI hate to say this, but looks like WRX is evolving to World Rallycross in existing circuits instead of proper RX circuits Championship..

Myrvold
3rd October 2018, 01:53
Yup. The way things are heading, I just wish someone would take a stab at getting the European Championship back to a full length championship, running on much of the actual RX-tracks. Fin, run them as support to WRX in the events that's "needed", but do like ARX, run standalone events as well.
Though, I fear that will end up like the Swedish-> Norwegian-Swedish -> Nordic RX championship late 90's, early 00's. It got extremely popular, to the point that some drivers dropped out of the then main championship (ERX) to just drive the Nordic one. And it got shut down.

mArvAlcao17
3rd October 2018, 03:52
It might be an unpopular opinion, but here's my thoughts:

As World Championship, World RX needs to expand to other continent, to promote and popularize RX all over the world. The problem is if the new host are build the new purpose-built RX track, the future use would be questionable, so converting already existing race circuit into RX track is the most viable choice. It might hurt some of the fans in Europe, but that's what it is.

I'm happy about Abu Dhabi because they would finally come to Asia, but still need to explore other areas like Japan (Suzuka RX track, anyone?)

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
3rd October 2018, 06:29

As World Championship, World RX needs to expand to other continent, to promote and popularize RX all over the world. The problem is if the new host are build the new purpose-built RX track, the future use would be questionable, so converting already existing race circuit into RX track is the most viable choice. It might hurt some of the fans in Europe, but that's what it is.

I'm happy about Abu Dhabi because they would finally come to Asia, but still need to explore other areas like Japan (Suzuka RX track, anyone?)I prefer Ebisu..

Alpha
3rd October 2018, 07:37

I'm happy about Abu Dhabi because they would finally come to Asia, but still need to explore other areas like Japan (Suzuka RX track, anyone?)

Spot on! I wholeheartedly agree

MrJan
3rd October 2018, 10:24
The problem for me isn’t that they go to these tracks, it’s that the RX tracks they design and build are sterile and usually quite dull. Two of the tracks at F1 circuits have been passable for me, Catalunya and Hockenheim.

It’s stupid to go to these places if it’s at the expense of excitement and entries. South Africa will probably be another 15 car field, most of them with nothing to play for in the championship, so it’s just a big cost for the teams

Myrvold
3rd October 2018, 19:57

While I totally understand that, it doesn't show RX anywhere as good as it can be. The fields are tiny, the cost is high, and it isn't exciting to watch.
Then you get people searching up WRX, and get clips from the actual RX-tracks, and see how it can be. While that is good, it won't bring new people in to the sport.

Also, I am quite sure that it would be possible to built a proper RX-track in the US without any long-term issues (it's not like Austin is a success, very little spectators on the vast majority there, they lose money on F1, and the thing that bring in the money is concerts...). The Canadian track actually makes sense, even though WRX is sort of a support-series there.
Hockenheim when you have Estering doesn't make sense. Barcelona instead of any RX-Track in Europe with proper following doesn't make sense. Mettet was a left-field one, and while Duivelsberg is a better circuit it wasn't weird though I'd imagine Duivlesberg would've had a larger crowd. Silverstone instead of Lydden Hill, again doesn't make sense.

I can understand that you don't build an RX track in South Africa, I can understand it in Abu Dhabi, though, they have the money for it.
If they had actually kept the proper RX-tracks in the areas that have them, it would've made more sense. But they are solely going for money and showoff-facilities, while driving costs up, and racing down.
Then, in typical FIA sense, they try to cut cost by limit equipment and testing, which only hurts the racing more, while they keep moving away from where the spectators actually are, lowering the sponsorship interested for lower teams, further thinning the field, and then you have the circle going.

Also, tracks made in the natural environment tends to be a bigger success, both for spectators, tv-viewers and drivers. You don't need man-made jumps to make things "cool", make things natural, and it'll work out. It's a bit like modern F1-tracks, while some are built in to the natural ascent and descent, they lack uniqueness. The "Tilkedromes" are seemingly the same, with endless runoffs etc. Modern RX-tracks are also quite similar, very wide starts, going in to a "bottle-neck corner" to force some contact and "wow"-action, this is either a chicane, or followed by a left-right/right-left. The track is also mostly made up with the help of guardrails, concrete and tyres. A far cry from proper RX-tracks.

N.O.T
4th October 2018, 11:37
Sadly can see WRX (how I hate not saying World Rallycross) going the way of the WTCC with a depleted field and one manufacturer dominating to a point where no-one is interested. Not expecting to see a break away series or something like TCR however wouldn't be at all surprised if we return to a well promoted European championship with strong "privateer/works supported" teams as in days gone by or one national series becoming the draw.

the sport is trash... it will eventually die once again. No overtakes, very vague rules when it comes to penalising contact, a retarded points system and uninteresting tracks...

ITS TRASH !!!!

MrJan
4th October 2018, 14:25
the sport is trash... it will eventually die once again. No overtakes, very vague rules when it comes to penalising contact, a retarded points system and uninteresting tracks...

ITS TRASH !!!!

:snore: :snore: :snore:

mArvAlcao17
4th October 2018, 16:17
While I totally understand that, it doesn't show RX anywhere as good as it can be. The fields are tiny, the cost is high, and it isn't exciting to watch.
Then you get people searching up WRX, and get clips from the actual RX-tracks, and see how it can be. While that is good, it won't bring new people in to the sport.

Also, I am quite sure that it would be possible to built a proper RX-track in the US without any long-term issues (it's not like Austin is a success, very little spectators on the vast majority there, they lose money on F1, and the thing that bring in the money is concerts...). The Canadian track actually makes sense, even though WRX is sort of a support-series there.
Hockenheim when you have Estering doesn't make sense. Barcelona instead of any RX-Track in Europe with proper following doesn't make sense. Mettet was a left-field one, and while Duivelsberg is a better circuit it wasn't weird though I'd imagine Duivlesberg would've had a larger crowd. Silverstone instead of Lydden Hill, again doesn't make sense.

I can understand that you don't build an RX track in South Africa, I can understand it in Abu Dhabi, though, they have the money for it.
If they had actually kept the proper RX-tracks in the areas that have them, it would've made more sense. But they are solely going for money and showoff-facilities, while driving costs up, and racing down.
Then, in typical FIA sense, they try to cut cost by limit equipment and testing, which only hurts the racing more, while they keep moving away from where the spectators actually are, lowering the sponsorship interested for lower teams, further thinning the field, and then you have the circle going.

Also, tracks made in the natural environment tends to be a bigger success, both for spectators, tv-viewers and drivers. You don't need man-made jumps to make things "cool", make things natural, and it'll work out. It's a bit like modern F1-tracks, while some are built in to the natural ascent and descent, they lack uniqueness. The "Tilkedromes" are seemingly the same, with endless runoffs etc. Modern RX-tracks are also quite similar, very wide starts, going in to a "bottle-neck corner" to force some contact and "wow"-action, this is either a chicane, or followed by a left-right/right-left. The track is also mostly made up with the help of guardrails, concrete and tyres. A far cry from proper RX-tracks.

I felt that the sport itself are never been really developed outside Europe and US, i'm afraid.

quite sad, but that's the 'cost' of the world championship.

It's not (just) about the money to develop, it's also about the use after the World RX event, or it would be abandoned and waste of money.

However I agreed that Rallycross isn't what it supposed to be - although no one could prevent electric cars to invade rallycross, as it's the perfect testbed for the EV's.

giu canbera
5th October 2018, 00:46
Make euro rx great again

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
7th October 2018, 23:04
Oliver wins in Tierp & clinched the RXNordic title..

giu canbera
9th October 2018, 20:06
Max Pucher is releasing some infos about his new RX championship. The Global RallyCross Europe, with spec 500HP 4WD cars that cost something around 30% of a SuperCar budget. Rumor they could race in Lydden, Mettet, Slovakia, Italy, Estering and other traditional places. Maybe 11 races. We will now more in Oct 18th.

AND NordicRX will have 7 races in 2019. Latvia will be on the schedule.. and a second race in Norway, somewhere TBA.

tbtstt
10th October 2018, 10:45
Max Pucher is releasing some infos about his new RX championship. The Global RallyCross Europe, with spec 500HP 4WD cars that cost something around 30% of a SuperCar budget. Rumor they could race in Lydden, Mettet, Slovakia, Italy, Estering and other traditional places. Maybe 11 races. We will now more in Oct 18th.

AND NordicRX will have 7 races in 2019. Latvia will be on the schedule.. and a second race in Norway, somewhere TBA.
Really not sure about this. I think Max has the sense (and finances) to establish a decent series, but are there enough people out there who are going to be interested in it?

We have already seen RCE rise and fall, is this going to go the same way?

tbtstt
10th October 2018, 11:15
Isnt the Pucher formula the same as the now defunct GRC one? Identical cars like NASCAR on gravel?
I don't know for certain, but that's the impression I have got.

EDIT: Just seen the GRE has it's own website:

https://globalrallycross.net/home/

MrJan
10th October 2018, 12:22
I’m not holding my breath! Allowing normal RX cars is a better move, obviously when GRC originally announced the one male idea it wasn’t a surprise that Andretti and Vermont pulled out, the GRE idea would allow them to run...although not sure how BoP would work in such short and varied races.

This series needs to decide if it wants to take on ERX or work alongside it with many of the same entries. The main advantage it needs to work on is wing able to keep budget sensible.

tbtstt
11th October 2018, 08:28
I’m not holding my breath! Allowing normal RX cars is a better move, obviously when GRC originally announced the one male idea it wasn’t a surprise that Andretti and Vermont pulled out, the GRE idea would allow them to run...
Andretti and Vermont were already gone when the one make series was announced: that was a reaction to their departure, not the cause of it!

This series needs to decide if it wants to take on ERX or work alongside it with many of the same entries. The main advantage it needs to work on is wing able to keep budget sensible.
I couldn't be mistaken but, based on the comments I have already seen from Max (Pucher), I don't think he has any interest in working with IMG.

As you say, I'm not sure how BoP will work with Supercars.

OHL
11th October 2018, 16:50
I don't know for certain, but that's the impression I have got.

EDIT: Just seen the GRE has it's own website:

https://globalrallycross.net/home/

Wonder if World RX appreciates the fact that one of their cars is on the website?

JUF
11th October 2018, 17:16
The website is pretty amateurish... :mark:

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
12th October 2018, 03:01
Guys, what do you think about Tierp RX Arena..? Does it as boring as WRX tracks..?

tbtstt
12th October 2018, 08:44
Wonder if World RX appreciates the fact that one of their cars is on the website?
That's one of the MJP Racing cars: Max Pucher owns that team and GRE is his series!

(I'm also pretty sure that photo wasn't taken at a World track)

Guys, what do you think about Tierp RX Arena..? Does it as boring as WRX tracks..?
I saw that the RallyX Nordic TV coverage was online yesterday:

https://vimeo.com/294343012

I plan to watch it at the weekend to see what I think about the circuit.

tbtstt
12th October 2018, 11:22
Forgive the double post, but I see this morning that Petter Solberg has confirmed he will return to the World Rallycross Championship in 2019.

EDIT: Spa now confirmed as the replacement for Mettet:

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/article/10155/spa-francorchamps-to-join-world

MrJan
12th October 2018, 12:52
That's one of the MJP Racing cars: Max Pucher owns that team and GRE is his series!

(I'm also pretty sure that photo wasn't taken at a World track)

One of the photos the car has the WRX logo on it.

Presumably Spa will be including Eau Rouge but not Radillon? i.e they turn left, back into the car park area behind the stands.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th October 2018, 14:18
Solberg fastest in Q1 in Germany.

Good time by Kevin Hansen (3rd) and very aggressive by his brother Timmy behind Ekstrom. Great to watch.

fegh
13th October 2018, 19:21
https://twitter.com/volkswagenms/status/1050999618119626753?s=19

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Fast Eddie WRC
14th October 2018, 10:43
Normal service resumed an JK leads after Qually.

Peugeots going better here though, especially Hansen.

Fast Eddie WRC
14th October 2018, 14:10
SF's were a bit mad with lots of contact... but that's rallycross and no-one really at fault.

Alpha
14th October 2018, 16:32
Wonder what Kristofferson was so pissed at Bakkerud for?

https://twitter.com/EKSRX/status/1051407886868520960?s=09

And what on earth happened to Kevin? 😮
If Petter broke the engine he'll go to south Africa 15 points down and can forget silver in the championship..

tbtstt
15th October 2018, 11:26
The unstoppable Kristoffersson machine rolls on!

Surprisingly aggressive driving from the Peugeot Total drivers; I thought Loeb was being quite pushy in the qualifying heats, but Timmy Hansen took it a step further in the semi finals. I am not a big fan of Marklund, but I am glad to see that Timmy was punished for what he did, a lot of excessive contact on the exit of turn one.

Conversely another great performance from Kevin Hansen, real shame his weekend ended in the barrier. Also a shame that Petter had issues as, although I'm not sure he would have challenged Johan, he looked on course for a podium spot.

Unfortunate weekend for Liam Doran. He really looked on the pace in Q4, but his Q1 disqualification gave him no chance.

The "live" segment of the TV coverage (which obviously wasn't actually live) was all screwed up yesterday, I hope they fix the audio sync issue for the repeat later in the week.

If Petter broke the engine he'll go to south Africa 15 points down and can forget silver in the championship..
Only if PSRXVW have exceeded their allocation of engines: I suspect they still have at least one left as I can't recall either of the Polos having many failures this year.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th October 2018, 14:16
Yep, annoyed the UK tv coverage wasnt actually live... esp as I'd already seen the heats live on YT.

I wasnt going to sit though them all again so got around the YT geo-block by 'browsing from Ireland'.. ;)

Alpha
15th October 2018, 17:30
The unstoppable Kristoffersson machine rolls on!

Surprisingly aggressive driving from the Peugeot Total drivers; I thought Loeb was being quite pushy in the qualifying heats, but Timmy Hansen took it a step further in the semi finals. I am not a big fan of Marklund, but I am glad to see that Timmy was punished for what he did, a lot of excessive contact on the exit of turn one.

Conversely another great performance from Kevin Hansen, real shame his weekend ended in the barrier. Also a shame that Petter had issues as, although I'm not sure he would have challenged Johan, he looked on course for a podium spot.

Unfortunate weekend for Liam Doran. He really looked on the pace in Q4, but his Q1 disqualification gave him no chance.

The "live" segment of the TV coverage (which obviously wasn't actually live) was all screwed up yesterday, I hope they fix the audio sync issue for the repeat later in the week.

Only if PSRXVW have exceeded their allocation of engines: I suspect they still have at least one left as I can't recall either of the Polos having many failures this year.
Each driver can only use two engines during a season. Petter blew an engine at Höljes earlier this year. If this is another failed engine he will be opening a third engine for this season which means 15 points are removed and he has no chance to get silver in the championship. Hell, he'll be battling with Timmy for 6th.

MrJan
15th October 2018, 21:44
Entertaining stuff, lots of bumper car action but that's what we expect from Buxtehude isn't it? Funny how Timmy is complaining about other drivers being aggressive, then takes two penalties in two meetings. Didn't seem to be as easy for JK, most of the other races this year have seemed like done deals but pace seems to be much closer.

On another note, interesting to hear Coley say that they'll go up Eau Rouge and back down again...hope it doesn't mean some crappy hairpin at the top a la COTA/Istanbul/Hockenheim/Catalunya etc.

Alpha
15th October 2018, 22:03
Entertaining stuff, lots of bumper car action but that's what we expect from Buxtehude isn't it? Funny how Timmy is complaining about other drivers being aggressive, then takes two penalties in two meetings. Didn't seem to be as easy for JK, most of the other races this year have seemed like done deals but pace seems to be much closer.

On another note, interesting to hear Coley say that they'll go up Eau Rouge and back down again...hope it doesn't mean some crappy hairpin at the top a la COTA/Istanbul/Hockenheim/Catalunya etc.

It was a lot of action, but that first corner makes it more like a lottery than a race. The joker is also an issue. Since the exit speed is low, it's best to take it on the last lap, otherwise you'll loose time. Combined with a very short joker it doesn't give any room to advance on joker strategy either. The drivers can only hope that the guy ahead makes a mistake which allows them to pass. Otherwise the result is pretty much the same as the order out of turn 1, lap 1. And that turn is again a lottery so...

MrJan
15th October 2018, 23:05
Otherwise the result is pretty much the same as the order out of turn 1, lap 1. And that turn is again a lottery so...

We actually saw quite a bit more action after T1 in this race than a lot of other races this season, so I'm not sure that's completely true. E.G Bakkerud led the final (think it might have been the first attempt) on the first lap but JK put it up the inside. Timur made a pass in Q4 I think, Gronholm got by Solberg in the final etc. compare it to even Hell and I think there was more overtaking at Estering.

Myrvold
17th October 2018, 21:11

That sounds awful! At Spa they at least have a chance to make a track with proper gravel sections in natural environment, like a proper RX track. But I'm not surprised that they'll screw it up.

It was a lot of action, but that first corner makes it more like a lottery than a race. The joker is also an issue. Since the exit speed is low, it's best to take it on the last lap, otherwise you'll loose time. Combined with a very short joker it doesn't give any room to advance on joker strategy either. The drivers can only hope that the guy ahead makes a mistake which allows them to pass. Otherwise the result is pretty much the same as the order out of turn 1, lap 1. And that turn is again a lottery so...

I agree that the last lap joker advantage is an issue, other than that. I don't see that the first corner is a lottery, it's more than possible to go in first, and come out first. That there are less joker strategy isn't all bad either. Nice to have some almost old, proper RX :)

tbtstt
18th October 2018, 09:14
Each driver can only use two engines during a season. Petter blew an engine at Höljes earlier this year. If this is another failed engine he will be opening a third engine for this season which means 15 points are removed and he has no chance to get silver in the championship. Hell, he'll be battling with Timmy for 6th.
I knew about the two engine restriction, but I forgot Petter blew an engine at Holjes! Yeah, as you say, if he has to go to a third engine then his bid for second is surely over.

T16
18th October 2018, 10:02
Peugeot have pulled the plug.

tbtstt
18th October 2018, 10:11
Peugeot have pulled the plug.
How strange, I thought Peugeot Sport looked well committed to World Rallycross, why the sudden change in heart?

T16
18th October 2018, 10:14
How strange, I thought Peugeot Sport looked well committed to World Rallycross, why the sudden change in heart?

They want to be seen as electric pioneers and the series planned on being all electric for 2019, but then did a U-turn.
Probably doesn't help that the Polo is way ahead and that the series has hit a wall in terms of excitement (all the cars are to efficient and therefore the racing is too 'neat').

jbmarcus21
18th October 2018, 10:17
Peugeot Sport quits WRX at the end of 2018 ► http://bit.ly/2NNVG3P

tbtstt
18th October 2018, 10:35
They want to be seen as electric pioneers and the series planned on being all electric for 2019, but then did a U-turn.
The switch to electric was planned for 2020 and has only been deferred by a year (for now). Has that extra year forced them away?

T16
18th October 2018, 10:47
The switch to electric was planned for 2020 and has only been deferred by a year (for now). Has that extra year forced them away?

Sorry - yeah... I was a year out. Reading between the lines, i'm not sure there is enough certainty that the change will happen and when, so I guess that's enough for PMC to say goodbye.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th October 2018, 11:00
First nail in the coffin of traditional rallycross. The ohers wont be far behind...

tbtstt
18th October 2018, 11:14
Sorry - yeah... I was a year out. Reading between the lines, i'm not sure there is enough certainty that the change will happen and when, so I guess that's enough for PMC to say goodbye.
I could be completely off - as I don't know if PSA have a central pool for motorsport funding or if each individual manufacturer has a separate budget - but could this be connected to Citroen signing Ogier?

With Citroen getting Ogier onboard and talking about going all out next year, I just wonder if the extra funding has come from elsewhere within the PSA Group? Or are Peugeot stepping back from rallycross there are concrete plans for electric in place?

T16
18th October 2018, 11:26
[QUOTE=tbtstt;1195622]I could be completely off - as I don't know if PSA have a central pool for motorsport funding or if each individual manufacturer has a separate budget - but could this be connected to Citroen signing Ogier?

Yeah - I guess it's a possibility that the main PSA budget has diverted more funds towards the Citroen WRC project, but Peugeot still will need to market their vehicles and they have always been keen on using motor sport for that.

Peugeot may have something else up their sleeve in terms of exposure (wait for WRC to become hybrid/ formula E).

MrJan
18th October 2018, 11:28
First nail in the coffin of traditional rallycross. The ohers wont be far behind...

Many people have suggested that manufacturers are making it expensive...now they're quitting and people are saying it's the death of rallycross. Which is it?

Strange that Peugeot came in so wholeheartedly for just one season. One thing I can't understand is why these teams on a budget have such large setups, the Peugeot rig for 2018 was so noticeably more expensive than previous years when they were Hansen. Likewise EKS have a mad input. I think at Riga they had 4 huge lorries, 4 supercars and space for a static display. I'm sure a huge amount of it is just needless expense.

Francis44
18th October 2018, 11:58
The truth is most OEM's know it will be difficult to promote and excite fans in general with electric races, they may say they are completely behind those changes via PR marketing but in the end they are afraid of spending millions on new technology and having empty stands and no interest in the series.

Anyway, no sense to invest yet in a full electric series when you just announced you will focus your development of regular cars ands sportscars in Plug-in Hybrid form.

N.O.T
18th October 2018, 13:31
is this farce dead yet ?

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
18th October 2018, 14:37
I hate to say this, but GRE will be broadcasted by Eurosport..

giu canbera
18th October 2018, 15:09
I hate to say this, but GRE will be broadcasted by Eurosport..

As long as they have a SuperCar class, not only this spec crap that they preseted today... Then Im sold!
https://www.facebook.com/globalrallycrosseurope/videos/2166180917033612/
Nordic RallyX Is also expandind to 7 races next year, with Latvia and another round in Norway...

Edit: It looks that GRC Euro car could have a few different body kits... thats a little better than spec cars

tbtstt
18th October 2018, 15:53
Many people have suggested that manufacturers are making it expensive...now they're quitting and people are saying it's the death of rallycross. Which is it?
Hammer. Nail. Head.

macebig
18th October 2018, 15:55
Well, called it last year. VW nearly murdered WRC and are now on course to murder RX. Peugeot will concentrate on the 308 TCR, which has been a pleasant surprise in the WTCR this year.

pantealex
18th October 2018, 16:50
Production of 3-door 208 ended long time ago...

Why would Peugeot promote something which you can´t buy ?

(same with Audi, new A1 was introduced wile ago, EKS S1 car is old model, VW isn´t "factory" team, so they can still use old model Polo, no PR problems)

deephouse
19th October 2018, 03:30
I kknew that this would happened. Fisrt Audi now Peugeot. Way to go VW... You're making it again. Not a surprise at all.

Tarmop
19th October 2018, 07:38
Well...it is part of the game to be the best, same time obeying rules. You can`t blame anyone in that.

MrJan
19th October 2018, 08:05
Well...it is part of the game to be the best, same time obeying rules. You can`t blame anyone in that.

Exactly right. Makes me smile when people complain about manufacturers making a car better than the rest. It isn't the fault of VW that Peugeot and Audi aren't quick enough. If you don't understand that then I'm not sure you understand what the point of sport is.

tbtstt
19th October 2018, 08:29
Exactly right. Makes me smile when people complain about manufacturers making a car better than the rest. It isn't the fault of VW that Peugeot and Audi aren't quick enough. If you don't understand that then I'm not sure you understand what the point of sport is.
Spot on. Truth be told I don't think the Polo is significantly faster than the competition this year; it is more reliable though and the PSRXVW operation seems to be much better run (on and off track). Oh, and Johan Kristoffersson might be a robot.

I still think it's a rather rash decision from Peugeot given how much they have poured into the evolution of the 208 rallycross car. I suspect that there were be at least one Hansen on the grid next year, though I wonder if this season is the last we will see from Loeb.

tomhlord
19th October 2018, 10:05
I hope GCK get some Renault funding to plug the Peugeot gap.

Fast Eddie WRC
19th October 2018, 14:00
Peugeot only came back with full factory support this year. Can't the 208's continue under Team Hansen in 2019, or is it too expensive ?

deephouse
19th October 2018, 14:04
Is it possible that PSA pull the plug on Peugeot involvement and focus now on WRC because of Ogier coming? Are they really that cheap so that they can't run two programmes at once?

tbtstt
19th October 2018, 15:23
Is it possible that PSA pull the plug on Peugeot involvement and focus now on WRC because of Ogier coming? Are they really that cheap so that they can't run two programmes at once?
No, they have openly stated it's because of the delay in the introduction of electric rallycross.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
19th October 2018, 16:08
We'll be fine as long as Hansen Motorsport is still racing..(I hope)

And I hope GRE will have a YouTube channel so the non-European fans can watch that..

deephouse
19th October 2018, 16:40
No, they have openly stated it's because of the delay in the introduction of electric rallycross.

And you really believe that.

Myrvold
19th October 2018, 17:23
I hope GCK get some Renault funding to plug the Peugeot gap.

At least something has happened, as it has gone from being a GCK Megane, to a Renault Megane, and they have actual Renault branding on the car.

Rally Power
19th October 2018, 19:47

Actually it makes perfect sense. They’ll launch the new 208 road car earlier next year (probably in Geneve Motor Show) and it’ll include an EV version. With sales starting during 2019 second quarter, the 2020 WRX season would still be a viable timing to promote the new model. Waiting for 2021 seems far less interesting and the lack of a proper number of competitors in the eWRX probably also helped Peugeot pulling out.

Besides, while eWRX is looking to become a fiasco, the new Le Mans hybrid Hypercar rules (ready in December) are attracting a huge number of manus and its running costs will apparently get way lower than initially expected. Who knows, maybe Peugeot is changing their focus to LM/WEC 2020, starting ASAP a full scale LM Hypercar project. Fingers crossed!

OHL
19th October 2018, 20:37

While you are 100% right, it still gets awful boring if the cars always finish in the same order.
It's up to the rules to try and make a level field so the racing is interesting. There will always be teams with more skill and resources and if they do their job right, they can dominate. There have been many examples of this in the past which brought about things like penalty weight, etc to try and keep the field fairly evenly matched. Whether it's good or bad can be argued.
Whatever the case, it's not the manufacturers fault they have built a better car but the sport may want to keep the big picture in mind with the regulations.

MrJan
19th October 2018, 23:14
While you are 100% right, it still gets awful boring if the cars always finish in the same order.

I wouldn't say it's boring (Estering had plenty of action with the same winner), but completely agree that the last two seasons haven't been as exciting as previous years....but it's probably still my favourite motorsport. I still get annoyed when people make out like it's the fault of the dominant team for being dominant though.

skarderud
20th October 2018, 10:30
Some swedish media says Hansen try to take the cars home and run it like before. It's also says it's a possibillity Loeb doing WRX with them.
Probably wait for some official news.

No, WRX don't even reach WRC to it's knees, it's same sort of boring like when the Loeb citröen era.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Fast Eddie WRC
20th October 2018, 10:46
Some swedish media says Hansen try to take the cars home and run it like before. It's also says it's a possibility Loeb doing WRX with them.
Probably wait for some official news.

Thanks. What I said / hoped.

Francis44
20th October 2018, 10:54
Actually it makes perfect sense. They’ll launch the new 208 road car earlier next year (probably in Geneve Motor Show) and it’ll include an EV version. With sales starting during 2019 second quarter, the 2020 WRX season would still be a viable timing to promote the new model. Waiting for 2021 seems far less interesting and the lack of a proper number of competitors in the eWRX probably also helped Peugeot pulling out.

Besides, while eWRX is looking to become a fiasco, the new Le Mans hybrid Hypercar rules (ready in December) are attracting a huge number of manus and its running costs will apparently get way lower than initially expected. Who knows, maybe Peugeot is changing their focus to LM/WEC 2020, starting ASAP a full scale LM Hypercar project. Fingers crossed!

But then the real question would be, are they really that invested in electric cars?! Peugeot boss has openly said on twitter they will focus Peugeot on plug-in hybrid sportscars, and for me that is not an electric car, even if the PR departments try to pass them as such. In that case maybe WEC makes more sense.

AndyRAC
20th October 2018, 11:02

Have to agree. It's something that affects motorsport, in particular. And the usual solution is some form of handicapping, BoP, ballast, running order, etc Which is a bad road to go down.

Oh and Peugeot have history in pulling a programme suddenly...

Rally Power
20th October 2018, 18:04
But then the real question would be, are they really that invested in electric cars?! Peugeot boss has openly said on twitter they will focus Peugeot on plug-in hybrid sportscars, and for me that is not an electric car, even if the PR departments try to pass them as such. In that case maybe WEC makes more sense.

The next 208 will have a 100% electric version, using the new E-CMP platform (recently inaugurated in the DS3 Crossback). The ‘electrification’ mentioned by Peugeot CEO is about having Hybrid models but also fully Electric cars; there’s no PR confusion in it.

Francis44
20th October 2018, 19:57
The next 208 will have a 100% electric version, using the new E-CMP platform (recently inaugurated in the DS3 Crossback). The ‘electrification’ mentioned by Peugeot CEO is about having Hybrid models but also fully Electric cars; there’s no PR confusion in it.

Nobody mentioned some "confusion" about it. The fact is the PR is being deliberately vague with the differentiation between Hybrids and full electrics, hence the term electrification. They know most of their sold cars in the foreseeable future will still have an ICE in them. I understand they will have full EVs in the line up, and for their sake they better sell a few of them (they have to if they want to reach the EU emission targets).

My point is Peugeot excuse for dropping out is not honest, I very much doubt they would stay even if next year the WRX was already full electric. I think they might have something else up their sleeve, which will be more in line with their catalogue, and I think an Hybrid series (like WEC) would make more sense.

Rally Power
21st October 2018, 13:43
My point is Peugeot excuse for dropping out is not honest, I very much doubt they would stay even if next year the WRX was already full electric. I think they might have something else up their sleeve, which will be more in line with their catalogue, and I think an Hybrid series (like WEC) would make more sense.

How can you say they’re not being honest? They’ve quit Dakar to enter the WRX, having E-WRX in mind. From the 9 potentially interested manus, only Peugeot and VW were left to support E-WRX. The series delay didn’t help finding new manus and affected Peugeot marketing goals (notably the 208EV promotion). E-WRX future become unpredictable and investing millions in such a project was no longer reasonable. Those are plain facts and quite valid reasons to pull out.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
21st October 2018, 23:41
Meanwhile in FRX, Antoine Masse has clinched the title..

BTW, I've asking GRE about the YT channel, and they just said that all races will be broadcasted on Eurosport Player instead..

tbtstt
22nd October 2018, 10:32
Why wouldn't I? Peugeot were very vocal about rallycross going electric and the only reason they got involved when they did was because that transition was on the horizon.

The introduction of electric was delayed to allowed more manufacturers to get involved. I wonder if the decision of Peugeot is indicative that no more manufacturers have - or look likely to - sign on the dotted line, thus meaning that the introduction of electric is going to slip back again until such time when they can get enough manufacturers committed.

tbtstt
25th October 2018, 09:28
Good news and bad news this morning: good news is that Holjes will be in the World Championship for at least the next five years, bad news is that OMSE won't be back in the World Championship next year.

tomhlord
25th October 2018, 10:57
This is pretty terrible now and a worrying sign.

You simply cannot compete with the VW.

tbtstt
25th October 2018, 11:01
This is pretty terrible now and a worrying sign.

You simply cannot compete with the VW.
The battle for second could be interesting; EKS, Hansen, GCK, GRX plus the new Skoda duo, but it's hard to see anyone other than VW lifting the title.

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
25th October 2018, 11:15
Good news and bad news this morning: good news is that Holjes will be in the World Championship for at least the next five years, bad news is that OMSE won't be back in the World Championship next year.I can see them competing at GRE..

tomhlord
25th October 2018, 11:25
The battle for second could be interesting; EKS, Hansen, GCK, GRX plus the new Skoda duo, but it's hard to see anyone other than VW lifting the title.

But it could equally not be, as Hansen and EKS are far from confirmed.

tbtstt
25th October 2018, 11:54
But it could equally not be, as Hansen and EKS are far from confirmed.
True. I'd be surprised not to see Hansen back as they have long had strong presence in rallycross.

(Though I would be surprised if Loeb is with them next year)