PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox found guilty

Spafranco
30th January 2014, 21:55
The news today of the conviction of Amanda Knox has me wondering what will happen. Does this fall into the hands of the Justice Department to handle extradition orders if the verdict, after appeal is held up. What would happen do you think? Is the political fallout too great not to extradite her or would the government, yield to the pressure of an ally and send her packing to Italy to serve her time.

BleAivano
30th January 2014, 23:53
IIRC USA will not extradite their own citizens.

Roamy
31st January 2014, 06:00
Total Bullsh!t

The last court will aquitt her. But if not a extradition where double jeaporady is the case will not be easy to get done.

We may not be perfect but I sure as hell would rather be judged by a jury or 12 that a group of selected idiots.

A reasonable doubt in this case is quite apparent

Roamy
31st January 2014, 06:09

well we do and would but maybe not where double jeapordy is in play. it will be very technical if it ever get to that

pino
31st January 2014, 11:07
Stupid Italians, they shouldn't had allowed her to leave Italy, in the first place :crazy: ;)

Spafranco
31st January 2014, 14:37

well we do and would but maybe not where double jeapordy is in play. it will be very technical if it ever get to that
Roamy, Italy does not have the same laws as we do. Double jeopardy applies to only some countries and in my opinion it is a real good opportunity for a real killer to walk free for a crime.
I do not believe that this will be swept under the carpet so easily. It is not as though it were a film where a US citizen is arrested on foreign soil and then claims "I am an American". Countries don't give a crap whether you're from Ethiopia or the US. They have their laws. Don't break them. We have more people in prison than any country in the world. Not western world, not industrialized world, the whole world. We have set precedents that allowed US citizens to come home after a conviction, Bolivia for example where a girl was caught smuggling cocaine and the government put the heavy hand on the Bolivians. Does not work anymore.

Roamy
31st January 2014, 15:14
I also understand there is no actual proof. I think that also comes into play if extradition is requested.

Also it is quite interesting how the press now tries to sensationalize the situation "Knox's boyfriend found near border"
He has enough money to jump in a high speed boat if he really wanted to run.

Maybe Knox and Raelfle will reunite in Brazil (No extradition) in a year.

driveace
2nd February 2014, 02:07
If Italy have an extradition treaty with the US then she will have to be extradited .
We are only told small extracts of the case ,so we have not heard all the evidence that 12 just men and women have,allowing them to make a sound judgement.
I think after a lot of feet dragging ,she will go to Italy .

henners88
2nd February 2014, 07:34
She should return to Italy and face her crimes. She was originally found guilty but acquitted on appeal so hopefully there will be a case to extradite and the US will cooperate.

D-Type
2nd February 2014, 09:52
If Italy have an extradition treaty with the US then she will have to be extradited .
We are only told small extracts of the case ,so we have not heard all the evidence that 12 just men and women have,allowing them to make a sound judgement.
I think after a lot of feet dragging ,she will go to Italy .
The Italian criminal law system is very different from both the US system and the English system it was derived from. They don't have jury but seem to have a single professional, trained judge who is assisted by 6 deputy judges who are appointed somehow (presumably something like our jurors). The courts work differently with a preliminary hearing to establish the facts as far as possible. This is followed by a trial which covers grey areas and interpretation of the facts that have been established. The appeals system allows both defence and prosecution to appeal and the appeal is heard in a higher court. This can be effectively a retrial so US-style Double Jeapordy limitations don't apply. There are various articles on Wikipedia describing different aspects of the Italian system, duble jeapordy etc. but they are a bit disjointed and hard to follow.

Reporting restrictions area lot looser than the US or Britain and cases can be discussed and "tried" by the media while still sub judice. And like all reporting, what we hear or read is not the full story.

Extradition rules are different again. Most countries only allow extradition when there is a concrete case according to their law not that of the country seeking the extradition.