PDA

View Full Version : WALES RALLY GB 2014

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

christy
22nd January 2014, 14:26
HI EVERYONE I am just fishing around for a bit of news on the 2014 route/areas for stages .coming over from Ireland a group of us so trying to sort accomadation before the the cheaper places are booked out.AND QUIET A FEW ARE BOOKED ALLREADY!!! looking at 2013 map Dolgellau looks to be a good central location .and some places already booked out there .but no point booking until we know areas being used .any help would be grateful
thanks all

Simmi
22nd January 2014, 15:40
I can't claim to have any level of inside knowledge on the event but given the success we saw last year I really can't see too much changing.

A good base last year should be a good one this year. We stayed in Dolgellau last year and it was as good as anywhere I'd say. Thanks for the heads up I've just jumped on a room for November. The place we were last year only had doubles left, but by in large these are only small places with limited options.

christy
22nd January 2014, 17:53
ya we hope its north/mid wales again.its handy to get the boat in hollyhead back home.

christy
23rd January 2014, 17:16
herd today it will have some new stages but it will be similar route to last year..whats people opinions on last years rally

AndyRAC
23rd January 2014, 19:49
Why change a successful formula?
It is likely that the crowds may be even bigger with 2 Brits in top WRCars. So you would think there would be more & bigger car parks. Not sure if it's possible, but I really think they could do with bringing back the Epynt stages; you can get massive amount of spectators in there.
I also believe that IMS want a waiver from the FiA to run the popular Thursday night stages again. Let's hope they're successful.

pettersolberg29
23rd January 2014, 20:27
Agreed AndyRAC - bring back the Epynt stages, run Halfway and Crychan and there is loads of places to park and no chance of getting stuck in the mud or anything like that! Loads of viewing areas too - none that are very good so need to wander but the new people there will be happy with it!

christy
23rd January 2014, 21:17
ya I never taught of that.there will be a lot bigger number of spectators with evans in a wrc car and I would think there will be a massive amount of spectators coming over from Ireland.so carparks and spectator access will be under pressure !

306 Cosworth
24th January 2014, 09:29
I did hear a rumour last year that the Pantperthog stage is due to make a return this year. So you'd have a loop of Dyfi, Pantperthog and Gartheiniog.
They definitely need to sort out the parking issues for this year though as it's going to be crazy.

Doon
24th January 2014, 12:34
I did wonder why Pantperthog wasn't used last year?

MrJan
24th January 2014, 12:43
Epynt stages would be good, not only because it's top class rally territory but also because it's closer to me!

Fly_Half
24th January 2014, 21:13
I did wonder why Pantperthog wasn't used last year?

Probably due to the lack of space for Spectator parking in the complex. If it does return I can see it being a non-spectator as I'm almost certain the only entrance into the complex is via a narrow forest track off the A487.

Allyc85
24th January 2014, 23:48
Epynt stages would be good, not only because it's top class rally territory but also because it's closer to me!

Agreed!

I have already planned that I will go up for Shakedown/post shakedown service this year and head back after Saturdays stages. Staying an extra day for one stage on Sunday makes no sense to someone that has a 5/6 hour drive home on the Sunday..

Fly_Half
25th January 2014, 10:52

And also because it's one of the fastest and most photogenic stages in the UK, nothing comes close to Route 60 IMHO.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8462/7993818413_dcdfce2cbe_z.jpg

I suppose the only issue is the distance from the service park on Deeside.

christy
25th January 2014, 14:23
I think ticket price should be lowered aswell after the big number of spectators that came last year.and 2014 will have a lot more !

makinen_fan
25th January 2014, 15:28
Indeed Epynt is too far away from the North. I would prefer Hafren/Myherin to stay instead of favouring Epynt/Crychan.

What they really to do is to increase the number of car parks and available spectator areas, at least to give us more options.

Fly_Half
25th January 2014, 15:32
What they really to do is to increase the number of car parks and available spectator areas, at least to give us more options.

Agreed, I think they were caught on the hop a little last year. The Dyfi and Gartheiniog stages in particular were completely unacceptable. Hopefully they'll learn the lesson and have at least two car parks per stage.

Simmi
25th January 2014, 16:47
Interested to see what they do this time. I can kind of forgive the issues last year. The event was in the doldrums and they had no way of knowing what the new location would do. Go too big and you're just wasting money if it doesn't work out. But it did.

At least now they can gauge the level of demand. They'd have to be stupid to take it back south right now quite frankly. They just need to consolidate and improve.

DoubleD
25th January 2014, 20:00
My opinion for what its worth....
They need to keep the night stages, however this is achieved...all in one night as last year or by adding extra stages at the end of the friday and saturday legs, as this is what defines the character of the event....it always feels like I am being cheated when the leg finishes at 3 in the afternoon...
Pantperthog would be a good addition, its an essential part of the Dovey complex in my opinion, although spectating will be limited at best I'm sure. But as I have said previously, more locations means less people in any one location, and less opportunity for overcrowding problems.
As has been mentioned, car parks will need to be expanded with the success of the 2013 edition, and with Meeke and Evans in top cars it is surely only going to be more popular.

christy
26th January 2014, 13:20
are people allowed find walk in to the stage if they come in early rather than the crowded spectator areas

the sniper
26th January 2014, 16:41
are people allowed find walk in to the stage if they come in early rather than the crowded spectator areas

You can walk into the stages, but the stage maps aren't made public. You can find them on the internet before the event though if you look hard enough... A lot of the roads around the stages are closed to non-residents vehicles, so you need to be willing to walk a few miles off road just to reach the stage.

Personally I did three stages last year and one in 2012. I didn't use an official car park once. Having randomly seen incar footage of a spectator driving into the official rally car parks on You Tube, I doubt I'll ever pay for the inconvenience of using those. It'll be interesting to whether more people try and take the unofficial routes into the stages this year, as not many have in the last couple of years I've attended.

Talbot
27th January 2014, 14:41
The organisers do need to do somehting ref ticket prices. For the Sat & Sun day passes we pre-bought last year, it cost us £15.00 over and above the ticket price (for delivery etc), each!
As such, there's no incentinve to pre-buy tickets.

If people are put off pre-buying tickets, there'll be longer queues at each stage entrance.

christy
27th January 2014, 18:28
each stage should have at least 2 cark parks .4x4 s could be put in a field

christy
28th January 2014, 11:16
accomadation booked in Dolgellau but knowing my luck the stages will be moved away from the area

Fly_Half
30th January 2014, 18:59
accomadation booked in Dolgellau but knowing my luck the stages will be moved away from the area

That's where we stayed last year and will be again this. The Rally will be staying in the North for the foreseeable future, so you should be ok.

christy
30th January 2014, 22:49
hopefully you right !thanks

christy
9th February 2014, 13:29
hopefully latvala can keep this result up and the championship will be decided in wales.long way to go yet tho

makinen_fan
19th February 2014, 11:50
This year the organisers will offer 12 free entries for the winners of all GB national championships.
The following will be entered into the main event
BRC (Top 3)
BRC British Junior
BRC RallyTwo

and for the National event:
BRC Challenge Trophy
BRC ‘Stars of the Future’
English Rally Championship
Welsh Forest Rally Championship
Scottish Rally Championship
Northern Ireland Rally Championship
BTRDA Rally Series

Also 4-day rally passes are on sale already at the same price as 2013.

306 Cosworth
19th February 2014, 18:44
Looks like I won't make any other WRC rounds this year, (already done Monte Carlo) so Wales Rally GB can't come round soon enough for me!

Fly_Half
20th February 2014, 18:01
Looks like I won't make any other WRC rounds this year, (already done Monte Carlo) so Wales Rally GB can't come round soon enough for me!

Can't tempt you to come to Sardinia with us mate? Can be done for around £300 all in...

306 Cosworth
23rd February 2014, 09:39
[quote="306 Cosworth":206dgfhm]Looks like I won't make any other WRC rounds this year, (already done Monte Carlo) so Wales Rally GB can't come round soon enough for me!

Can't tempt you to come to Sardinia with us mate? Can be done for around £300 all in...[/quote:206dgfhm]

Very possibly!

makinen_fan
28th April 2014, 13:42
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113679

Rally GB chief executive Andrew Coe will leave the organisation at the end of this week.
While the official reason for Coe's departure has not been made public, MSA chairman Alan Gow has hinted at an internal restructuring for the organisers of Britain's round of the World Rally Championship.
Gow said: "I would like to place on record our thanks to Andrew for everything he has done for IMS [the commercial arm of British motorsport's governing body], for British rallying and most especially for Wales Rally GB, and wish him every success in the future.
"Andrew has done a great job at IMS for many years and has given loyal service to British motorsport throughout, overcoming some difficult and challenging times, both for the sport and the economy.
"Last year's Wales Rally GB was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the event in the past decade.
"However now is the time for this organisation to rationalise and utilise the great resources and expertise that exist within the MSA group, in order to create a more cohesive and dynamic company structure."
Coe, who has been in charge of Rally GB since 2001, said: "I have thoroughly enjoyed my 13 years as chief executive of IMS and have had the particular privilege of working with many talented and professional people.
"While I will miss their company and our interaction, I am proud of what has been achieved and now very much look forward to the next challenge in my career."
Coe's successor as IMS chief executive has yet to be named.

I hope these are good news for the future of Wales Rally!

AndyRAC
28th April 2014, 17:22
Good luck to him.

However, under his tenure the event went from a still large national event to a parochial event in Wales. Not all of it was his fault - and last year was a success. But it should never have fallen into the doldrums to start with.

christy but
3rd June 2014, 19:00
any news on the rally yet ?

makinen_fan
4th June 2014, 12:37
Some news today from Autosport: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114264

The route for Rally GB 2014 is set to feature significant changes, AUTOSPORT understands, when it is revealed next week.
The itinerary for Rally GB has to be filed with the FIA for approval by June 10 and it is believed it will be missing the night stages and the Great Orme test that featured last year.
Rally GB organisers have been working towards a more compact route to fit the WRC Promoter firm's desire for ceremonial starts on Thursday evenings and a Powerstage at midday on Sunday.
That format change is believed to be the reason for sacrificing the three forest stages that ran in the dark in 2013 (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111311).
A new Powerstage is being proposed on the Brenig stage close to the Clocaenog complex, which would mean a spectacular season finale with the crews finishing the year on the shores of Llyn Brenig.
The opening day of action is expected to run as a combination of days one and two from last year, with Hafren, Dyfi and Gartheiniog all included.
Days two and three on the November 13-16 rally will run in North Wales, through Clocaenog, Aberhirnant (known as Penllyn last year) and Dyfnant.
Stately home stages in Chirk Castle and Kinmel Bay will remain, while the quayside redevelopment of Conwy Castle has forced a move for the ceremonial start to Eirias Park in Colwyn Bay.

Mintexmemory
4th June 2014, 12:48
Thanks for the news Y, but no *@^^~##*** Myherin!!! I await the final details but already have an uneasy feeling about this.

makinen_fan
4th June 2014, 13:31
Exactly my feeling P! At least we made it to Pikes peak section in 2013...
I am prepared for some disappointment :)

AndyRAC
4th June 2014, 13:45
Hmm, a slightly disappointing route. Hands tied by the clueless promoters? Getting rid of the Thursday night stages = mistake. Trying to make it more compact is not the answer.

christy but
4th June 2014, 18:55
disappointing no night stages

rallyfun
4th June 2014, 19:12
Some news today from Autosport: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114264

more compact route to fit the WRC Promoter firm's desire for ceremonial starts on Thursday evenings and a Powerstage at midday on Sunday.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Desire for what? What's the difference if there is no live coverage or actually no promotion at all and WRC is going down the slope.

rallyfiend
4th June 2014, 19:22
Desire for what? What's the difference if there is no live coverage or actually no promotion at all and WRC is going down the slope.

There's Live coverage from every event....

Allyc85
4th June 2014, 19:54
No night stages and seemingly no Myherin, not happy!!

rallyfun
4th June 2014, 22:01
There's Live coverage from every event....

Which TV station? I'm aware of usually 2 live stages from ERC but never seen anything live from WRC for yeras.

the sniper
4th June 2014, 22:48
BT Sport in the UK.

Gutted that the night stages have been dropped, seemingly solely to appease the new powers that be. There was a great atmosphere on Gwydyr where I and (coincidentally) Mintexmemory were last year. Plus, hopefully it's just that article that omits Myherin, but I won't hold my breath...

AndyRAC
4th June 2014, 23:02
I think the organisers of WRC events need to stand up to the Promoters, and tell them they are getting it wrong. Night stages are part of Rallying. Making RallyGB an even more compact event is a mistake.

rallyfun
4th June 2014, 23:57
BT Sport in the UK.

What about the rest of the world? How can a rally fan get (legal) access to BT Sport on free TV lets say in Brazil, Mexico or Russia? This is what teams complain about, they get nothing in return for investment in WRC. "Promoter" dictates conditions to organizers just to broadcast Power Stage in local TV as if it was local/national rally. They have no clue about promoting WRC and FIA can even organize rally on the Moon on Mars, it doesn't make any difference to the public access world wide to live TV or proper/legal streaming. ERC, F1, WTCC to name just few are from different ligue comparing to WRC, on freeview TV it doesn't exist, .

the sniper
5th June 2014, 02:36
ERC, F1, WTCC to name just few are from different ligue comparing to WRC, on freeview TV it doesn't exist, .

Where about in the world are you from? I'm amazed that there's anywhere where the ERC and WTCC are considered to be on the same level as F1! I can only speak for the UK, but here the ERC and WTCC are far more obscure then even the WRC, which itself is nowadays widely unknown... Eurosport is a fairly niche channel in the UK, even when Andy Priaulx was winning the WTCC title numerous times it was completely ignored by the UK media and public. Even as a hardcore motorsport fan I consider the WTCC to be cheap filler programming for Eurosport. And maybe British Eurosport doesn't feature as much of the ERC as the European version, but I've seen very little ERC coverage on there this year, whereas in the IRC days would couldn't miss the coverage if you watched Eurosport on an IRC weekend.

But this is all rather off topic...

rallyfiend
5th June 2014, 11:09
Where about in the world are you from? I'm amazed that there's anywhere where the ERC and WTCC are considered to be on the same level as F1! I can only speak for the UK, but here the ERC and WTCC are far more obscure then even the WRC, which itself is nowadays widely unknown... Eurosport is a fairly niche channel in the UK, even when Andy Priaulx was winning the WTCC title numerous times it was completely ignored by the UK media and public. Even as a hardcore motorsport fan I consider the WTCC to be cheap filler programming for Eurosport. And maybe British Eurosport doesn't feature as much of the ERC as the European version, but I've seen very little ERC coverage on there this year, whereas in the IRC days would couldn't miss the coverage if you watched Eurosport on an IRC weekend.

But this is all rather off topic...

I think Eurosport have done Live from only about 3 events so far this year. It's been incredibly low profile.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th June 2014, 13:06
Shame.. best bits gone (the night stages), worst kept (Chirk spectator stage).. :(

makinen_fan
11th June 2014, 08:03
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bp05cYgIAAAonmt.jpg

AndyRAC
11th June 2014, 08:52
Looks a lot like an old BRC Vauxhall Rally of Wales.... But a full WRC event??? Er, not really....
Sadly, the organisers hands are tied by the Promoters.

Mintexmemory
11th June 2014, 10:28
So only 1 pass at Chirk - what's the point. A really wimpy Sunday morning with a whiff of 'limited spectator access'. The last 2 stages on Saturday are effectively night stages but this is not getting my juices flowing at all!

MJW
11th June 2014, 10:36
So only 1 pass at Chirk - what's the point. A really wimpy Sunday morning with a whiff of 'limited spectator access'. The last 2 stages on Saturday are effectively night stages but this is not getting my juices flowing at all!
I would sway its a 'futuristic' route, it gives a glimpse of what direction Jost and VW want. Especially the sunday format.

makinen_fan
11th June 2014, 11:20
already last year's Sunday route was a farce. timing was so tight and rushed to finish everything by midday. I don't get the point of this

anyway it seems to be a decent change for the route but nothing too exciting. now lets wait and see if they manage to add a few more spectator access points than usual

AndyRAC
11th June 2014, 11:33
I would sway its a 'futuristic' route, it gives a glimpse of what direction Jost and VW want. Especially the sunday format.

So, basically, VW/ Capito have bent the FiA/ RedBull over a barrel. Or they'll leave...?? What a way to run the sport.

rallyfiend
11th June 2014, 11:37
So, basically, VW/ Capito have bent the FiA/ RedBull over a barrel. Or they'll leave...?? What a way to run the sport.

He's probably a fool to have announced their continuation in the sport so early then. The Shootout was proposed last year, and was knocked back by the FIA. That could still happen again once members of the World Council get hold if it.....

makinen_fan
11th June 2014, 12:09
He's probably a fool to have announced their continuation in the sport so early then. The Shootout was proposed last year, and was knocked back by the FIA. That could still happen again once members of the World Council get hold if it.....

from the interviews with team principals during Sardinia it is almost certain that the system will be adopted in some sort of format next year. it seems to be closer than we think, sadly

dimviii
11th June 2014, 12:13

Colin Clark @voiceofrally · 14 ώρες
Here's a question for you. WRC in 2016 with final stage shoot out? Or WRC in 2016 with no VW. I know which one I'd choose.

turves
11th June 2014, 13:44
Colin Clark @voiceofrally · 14 ώρες
Here's a question for you. WRC in 2016 with final stage shoot out? Or WRC in 2016 with no VW. I know which one I'd choose.

I know which i'd choose too.

The best comment I saw on this, I think it was on Twitter, was along the lines of "WRC with a final stage shootout is like Le Mans with a 23 hour 55 minute quali session and a 1 lap race".

dimviii
11th June 2014, 14:01

very easy choice for me too.

imho the sport defintely needs changes,but NOT this one.
Vw if they f@cked up,they will leave.For sure will be easy to spend 100 millions for advertisment.
But i, and worldwide fans, will be here to watch a f@cked up sport for decades.

At previous decades there were some factories with same budget as todays vw.
These factories teams (toyota,lancia,citroen)didn t have requests like these.Change the sport or i leave.

gtfo now vw.

EightGear
11th June 2014, 14:21
I'm not sure if everybody here realises that the concept isn't as bad as everyone thinks. It's NOT like 'P1 and P2 before the last stage are equal and the winner wins the rally.'

The advantage of the leader will be reduced to the sec/km's he was faster during the rally. For example: Ogier has a lead over Latvala by 20 seconds before the last stage (after 200 km's of driving for example). His lead for the last stage (which will be 20 km's let's say) will be reduced to (20/200*20)=2 seconds.

It's still quite a shitty system and I doubt it will make things more simple for casual viewers (I'm sure it won't), but at least it's not as bad as we all feared initially.

turves
11th June 2014, 14:36
I'm not sure if everybody here realises that the concept isn't as bad as everyone thinks. It's NOT like 'P1 and P2 before the last stage are equal and the winner wins the rally.'

The advantage of the leader will be reduced to the sec/km's he was faster during the rally. For example: Ogier has a lead over Latvala by 20 seconds before the last stage (after 200 km's of driving for example). His lead for the last stage (which will be 20 km's let's say) will be reduced to (20/200*20)=2 seconds.

It's still quite a shitty system and I doubt it will make things more simple for casual viewers (I'm sure it won't), but at least it's not as bad as we all feared initially.

But go back to Rally GB 2003, last stage. If I remember correctly, Colin was in front of Tommi going in to that stage, they were certainly very close, and Colin got a puncture and had to change it. As it was, I think he dropped just the one position to Tommi, with the new system we would probably be outside the top 10. That has an affect then on Championship points which isnt a fair reflection on the whole performance of the rally. As Dimvii says, the sport needs to change, but there are better options, surely.

EightGear
11th June 2014, 14:47
But go back to Rally GB 2003, last stage. If I remember correctly, Colin was in front of Tommi going in to that stage, they were certainly very close, and Colin got a puncture and had to change it. As it was, I think he dropped just the one position to Tommi, with the new system we would probably be outside the top 10. That has an affect then on Championship points which isnt a fair reflection on the whole performance of the rally. As Dimvii says, the sport needs to change, but there are better options, surely.

Before the last stage, every driver can only win or lose 1 position. The leader will at least finish 2nd, etc.

Franky
11th June 2014, 14:59

It makes it even more complicated to a complete stranger and a real nightmare if you're on the stages without internet connection.

AndyRAC
11th June 2014, 15:32

The best comment I saw on this, I think it was on Twitter, was along the lines of "WRC with a final stage shootout is like Le Mans with a 23 hour 55 minute quali session and a 1 lap race".

If the WRC ran Le Mans it would now be over 4 hours on the Bugatti circuit.......

focus206
11th June 2014, 15:45
very easy choice for me too.

imho the sport defintely needs changes,but NOT this one.
Vw if they f@cked up,they will leave.For sure will be easy to spend 100 millions for advertisment.
But i, and worldwide fans, will be here to watch a f@cked up sport for decades.

At previous decades there were some factories with same budget as todays vw.
These factories teams (toyota,lancia,citroen)didn t have requests like these.Change the sport or i leave.

gtfo now vw.

Couldn't agree more. Also with the Le Mans comparison. I much rather have a WRC without VW than... like that.

turves
11th June 2014, 15:54
Before the last stage, every driver can only win or lose 1 position. The leader will at least finish 2nd, etc.

But that could, potentially, decide a championship (1997 for example, Tommi and Colin (again) finished the championship with 1 point difference). (hoping one day Championships will be that close again...!)

Doon
12th June 2014, 11:55
ROUTE ITINERARY for 2014

Thursday 13 November:
18:30 Ceremonial Start: Eirias Park, Colwyn Bay
Overnight Deeside Service Park

Friday 14 November:
07:44 SS1: Gartheiniog 1 (same route as 2013)
08:14 SS2: Dyfi 1 (same route as 2013)
09:26 SS3: Hafren Sweet Lamb 1 (similar to 2012)
09:59 SS4: Maesnant 1 (new stage using parts of 2013 Hafren stage)
11:23 Remote service: Newtown
13:07 SS5: Gartheiniog 2
13:37 SS6: Dyfi 2
14:49 SS7: Hafren Sweet Lamb 2
15:22 SS8: Maesnant 2
18:35 Service: Deeside Service Park

Saturday 15 November:
07:48 SS9: Clocaenog East 1 (revised route and reversed from 2013)
08:05 SS10: Clocaenog Main 1 (new stage)
09:13 SS11: Aberhirnant 1 (revised route and reverse direction of 2013 Penllyn stage)
10:09 SS12: Dyfnant 1 (reverse direction of 2013)
11:59 SS13: Chirk Castle (same as 2013)
13:32 Service: Deeside Service Park
15:05 SS14: Clocaenog East 2
15:22 SS15: Clocaenog Main 2
16:30 SS16: Aberhirnant 2
17:26 SS17: Dyfnant 2
20:11 Service: Deeside Service Park

Sunday 16 November:
08:35 SS18: Brenig 1 (new stage)
09:02 SS19: Alwen 1 (new stage using tracks last used on the 1993 Network Q RAC Rally)
09:57 SS20: Kinmel Park 1 (similar to 2013)
10:05 SS21: Kinmel Park 2
10:55 SS22: Alwen 2
12:00 SS23: Brenig 2 (Power Stage)
13:20 Ceremonial Finish: Mostyn Street, Llandudno

Any news on where Shakedown will be held? I'm hoping Llandegla again. Looks like an even better route than last year, with the exception off the loss of Myherin.

Mintexmemory
12th June 2014, 12:40
ROUTE ITINERARY for 2014

Thursday 13 November:
18:30 Ceremonial Start: Eirias Park, Colwyn Bay

Friday 14 November:
07:44 SS1: Gartheiniog 1 (same route as 2013)
08:14 SS2: Dyfi 1 (same route as 2013)
09:26 SS3: Hafren Sweet Lamb 1 (similar to 2012)
09:59 SS4: Maesnant 1 (new stage using parts of 2013 Hafren stage)
11:23 Remote service: Newtown
13:07 SS5: Gartheiniog 2
13:37 SS6: Dyfi 2
14:49 SS7: Hafren Sweet Lamb 2
15:22 SS8: Maesnant 2
18:35 Service: Deeside Service Park

Saturday 15 November:
07:48 SS9: Clocaenog East 1 (revised route and reversed from 2013)
08:05 SS10: Clocaenog Main 1 (new stage)
09:13 SS11: Aberhirnant 1 (revised route and reverse direction of 2013 Penllyn stage)
10:09 SS12: Dyfnant 1 (reverse direction of 2013)
11:59 SS13: Chirk Castle (same as 2013)
13:32 Service: Deeside Service Park
15:05 SS14: Clocaenog East 2
15:22 SS15: Clocaenog Main 2
16:30 SS16: Aberhirnant 2
17:26 SS17: Dyfnant 2
20:11 Service: Deeside Service Park

Sunday 16 November:
08:35 SS18: Brenig 1 (new stage)
09:02 SS19: Alwen 1 (new stage using tracks last used on the 1993 Network Q RAC Rally)
09:57 SS20: Kinmel Park 1 (similar to 2013)
10:05 SS21: Kinmel Park 2
10:55 SS22: Alwen 2
12:00 SS23: Brenig 2 (Power Stage)
13:20 Ceremonial Finish: Mostyn Street, Llandudno

Any news on where Shakedown will be held? I'm hoping Llandegla again. Looks like an even better route than last year, with the exception off the loss of Myherin.

Brenig is not a new stage just not been used for a long time. Has a fantastic straight alongside a reservoir that will offer silhouette against sunrise on the first run and sparkling light at mid day - assuming it's not foggy or persisting down!

Edit: My mistake now I have looked at the detailed route. The stage called Brenig in 2014 is indeed 'new'. The stage called Alwen was previously Brenig on an old Lombard RAC edition

Fast Eddie WRC
14th June 2014, 16:19
Highlights of the 2014 Wales Rally GB route include:

23 competitive stages culminating in a spectacular new Power Stage at Brenig
World class action in the legendary Welsh forests
Improved family-friendly RallyFests at Chirk Castle and Kinmel Park
FREE access to Deeside Service Park
FREE access to the Ceremonial Start at Eirias Park Stadium in Colwyn Bay featuring pre-event autograph session
FREE access to the Ceremonial Finish on Mostyn Street in Llandudno

Route MAP http://www.walesrallygb.com/documents/Route_Map_-__9-6-14.pdf

Itinerary http://www.walesrallygb.com/documents/Route_1.0_International_Itinerary_-_09-06-14.pdf

Mintexmemory
16th June 2014, 13:29
Really hope that shakedown starts at a time nearer to midday as that will be mean less accomodation cost. Can't see why not as there is no competition on Thursday.

rallyfiend
16th June 2014, 14:42
Really hope that shakedown starts at a time nearer to midday as that will be mean less accomodation cost. Can't see why not as there is no competition on Thursday.

It will be the usual 8-10am for the top guys.

Mintexmemory
17th June 2014, 02:33
WRGB always has something that isn't 'usual'. Last year s/d was 0700-0900
As teams don't have to prepare the cars for night running,with not even a SSS on the Thursday night, a midday start would be sensible. No position selection presentation this year means some other way of having the drivers present at service when the casual fans turn up would be good PR

AndyRAC
17th June 2014, 09:11
As teams don't have to prepare the cars for night running,with not even a SSS on the Thursday night, a midday start would be sensible. No position selection presentation this year means some other way of having the drivers present at service when the casual fans turn up would be good PR

Yes, but you know that every event now has to be the same. Generic WRC events is what RedBull want..... not what the WRC should be.

Mintexmemory
17th June 2014, 13:25
Yes, but you know that every event now has to be the same. Generic WRC events is what RedBull want..... not what the WRC should be.

In which case where is the Thursday evening SSS? That would have been the ideal use for Kinmel.. Seems like we are getting the worst of all options.

makinen_fan
17th June 2014, 15:19
Program for National Rally is out now:
2014 WALES RALLY GB - NATIONAL RALLY

Friday 14 November:
09:44 SS1: Gartheiniog 1 (9.06 miles)
10:14 SS2: Dyfi 1 (13.61 miles)
11:26 SS3: Hafren Sweet Lamb 1 (14.60 miles)
11:59 SS4: Maesnant (8.57 miles)
15:02 Service: Deeside Service Park

Saturday 15 November:
10:03 SS9: Clocaenog East (5.22 miles)
10:20 SS10: Clocaenog Main (8.70 miles)
11:28 SS11: Aberhirnant (9.63 miles)
12:24 SS12: Dyfnant (12.74 miles)
14:14 SS13: Chirk Castle (1.28 miles)
15:17 Service: Deeside Service Park

Sunday 16 November:
12:03 SS20: Kinmel Park 1 (1.37 miles)
12:11 SS21: Kinmel Park 2 (1.37 miles)
13:01 SS22: Alwen (4.97 miles)
13:44 SS23: Brenig (6.52 miles)
15:04 Ceremonial Finish: Mostyn Street, Llandudno

AndyRAC
17th June 2014, 15:46
In which case where is the Thursday evening SSS? That would have been the ideal use for Kinmel.. Seems like we are getting the worst of all options.

I quite agree - but the organisers/ MSA are paranoid about not doing what the FiA/Promoters want - in case the event loses WRC status. Other organisers have more 'balls' - particularly ACM, who don't care about the FiA.

Simmi
1st July 2014, 21:21
Came to see if it was just me who couldn't find Shakedown info but obviously not.

Hoping it's Llandegla again but I agree a couple of hours later would be good. Was a lot of milling around last year after such an early start.

Bit gutted as this was going to be the year we went to Myherin. Ah well.

the sniper
1st July 2014, 22:11
Came to see if it was just me who couldn't find Shakedown info but obviously not.

Hoping it's Llandegla again but I agree a couple of hours later would be good. Was a lot of milling around last year after such an early start.

I was only checking last night, I thought they'd confirmed it but realised I'd found last year's page for Llandegla... I didn't do Shakedown last year but fancy doing it this time around, though preferably as Mintex says at a reasonable hour, as I don't want to have to book accommodation up there for Wednesday night just for an early shakedown.

Mintexmemory
2nd July 2014, 12:54
I was only checking last night, I thought they'd confirmed it but realised I'd found last year's page for Llandegla... I didn't do Shakedown last year but fancy doing it this time around, though preferably as Mintex says at a reasonable hour, as I don't want to have to book accommodation up there for Wednesday night just for an early shakedown.

Too bloody right - It's safer finding the way through the woods in daylight too! ;)

MrJan
8th July 2014, 22:07

A rally that considers what fans want? But that would be completely against the ethos of the sport these days!!!

Mintexmemory
18th July 2014, 12:20
Hidden in RG1 (issued last week) the following interesting piece of info
'The Shakedown stage will be located at a new venue in Clocaenog Forest'

Then further on in the guide:
Thursday 13 November
07.00 - 20.30 Rally Office open - Rally HQ, Deeside
07.00 - 22.00 Media Centre open - Deeside
08.00 - 18.00 Media Accreditation open - Deeside
08.00 - 10.00 Shakedown for Priority 1 & 2 drivers - Clocaenog
10.00 - 12.00 Shakedown for Priority 3 drivers - Clocaenog
12.00 - 14.00 Shakedown for Non Priority drivers - Clocaenog.

So my wish for a relaxed start to the day has gone west. As Cloc is about a further 20 min drive away fom Deeside than Llandegla it looks like this will be a finish work mid day Wednesday, have a sleep at home until 1am on Thurs then drive direct to Cloc in time to make bacon sarnies before taking up position. After the Priority 1&2 session is finished go to Service for the afternoon then take in the start before heading down to Corris for overnighting near Dyfi: Long Day!!!

Doon
18th July 2014, 13:40
Hidden in RG1 (issued last week) the following interesting piece of info
'The Shakedown stage will be located at a new venue in Clocaenog Forest'

Then further on in the guide:
Thursday 13 November
07.00 - 20.30 Rally Office open - Rally HQ, Deeside
07.00 - 22.00 Media Centre open - Deeside
08.00 - 18.00 Media Accreditation open - Deeside
08.00 - 10.00 Shakedown for Priority 1 & 2 drivers - Clocaenog
10.00 - 12.00 Shakedown for Priority 3 drivers - Clocaenog
12.00 - 14.00 Shakedown for Non Priority drivers - Clocaenog.

So my wish for a relaxed start to the day has gone west. As Cloc is about a further 20 min drive away fom Deeside than Llandegla it looks like this will be a finish work mid day Wednesday, have a sleep at home until 1am on Thurs then drive direct to Cloc in time to make bacon sarnies before taking up position. After the Priority 1&2 session is finished go to Service for the afternoon then take in the start before heading down to Corris for overnighting near Dyfi: Long Day!!!

Bloody hell, that's a lot of stages in an around Clocaenog during the weekend. Clocaenog East, Clocaenog Main, Alwen, Brenig and now Shakedown. The Clocaenog complex isn't even that big in comparison to somewhere that could hold 5 separate WRC stages, like Kielder or the Neath/Rhondda Valley. Even the Dyfi, Pantperthog, Garthienog forrest complex

So over the past 5 years we have slowly migrated from the 'South Wales Rally of Great Britain' to the 'Clocaenog Rally of Great Britain'.

pettersolberg29
31st August 2014, 21:28
Anyone got any idea what stage this image is taken from? https://twitter.com/ianreynolds_5/status/504027238762029056/photo/1

WRGB being very unresponsive on Twitter!

Simmi
31st August 2014, 21:40
I wondered that too when I saw it. I'm guessing it's actually an access road to/from or between stages.

pettersolberg29
31st August 2014, 21:48
I wondered that too when I saw it. I'm guessing it's actually an access road to/from or between stages.

Perhaps, though from the spray it looks like he's going quite a pace!

makinen_fan
1st September 2014, 00:30
See here for more from the same point:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bestofrallylive/sets/72157637655613054/page2/

It seems as a road section to me

MartijnS
1st September 2014, 10:33
Yes..last year he took a lot of shots at the road section.

Mintexmemory
1st September 2014, 13:01
Yes..last year he took a lot of shots at the road section.

Looks like the Pikes Peak section of Myherin to me (some of it looks like road as it's the haul road for the wind turbine instalation) However, the caption says best of Day 4 which means Dyfnant, Penllyn or Clocaenog - doesn't look like any of those to me.

pettersolberg29
2nd September 2014, 13:31
Thanks all! Assume this is road section too? https://www.flickr.com/photos/bestofrallylive/10884495706/in/set-72157637655613054 Mischievous photographers!

Brynmor Pierce
2nd September 2014, 22:42
Anyone got any idea what stage this image is taken from? https://twitter.com/ianreynolds_5/status/504027238762029056/photo/1

It's the access to Penllyn stage by the looks of it to me...

Sardalense
3rd September 2014, 21:43

Yes, it the access to Penllyn stage, 300m before the time control.

christy but
9th September 2014, 19:13
just wondering is there a map online showing car parks for the stages

the sniper
9th September 2014, 20:03
just wondering is there a map online showing car parks for the stages

I don't believe so, I can't find them anyway. Seemingly they'll be on their new online 'Rally Planner', which will include 'detailed maps, directions to the car parks, accommodation information, detailed safety information and other useful information to help you plan your trip to the Rally'. The most interesting thing about that is the 'detailed maps', as you've only been able to get maps online in advance via unofficial sources in the recent past, at least.

The online Rally Planner should be available in 'early September 2014', so any time now presumably... http://www.walesrallygb.com/spectators/official_programme_and_rally_planner.php

Mintexmemory
10th September 2014, 12:25
I don't believe so, I can't find them anyway. Seemingly they'll be on their new online 'Rally Planner', which will include 'detailed maps, directions to the car parks, accommodation information, detailed safety information and other useful information to help you plan your trip to the Rally'. The most interesting thing about that is the 'detailed maps', as you've only been able to get maps online in advance via unofficial sources in the recent past, at least.

The online Rally Planner should be available in 'early September 2014', so any time now presumably... http://www.walesrallygb.com/spectators/official_programme_and_rally_planner.php

Meh, I've already got my 'unofficial parking' sorted (except s/d) Dyfi, Dyfnant and Brenig - see you at one or more Snipes?

the sniper
11th September 2014, 05:11
Meh, I've already got my 'unofficial parking' sorted (except s/d) Dyfi, Dyfnant and Brenig - see you at one or more Snipes?

No doubt we'll cross paths again chap, I look forward to it! I'm currently planning to do Dyfi (my first time), Dyfnant and Alwen. A month ago I recced Dyfi, climbing up there and walking a few miles into the stage to find some good vantage points (thanks for the advice you gave last year!). Dyfnant, I'll be parking in the same place and spectating from the same corner as last year for at least the first WRC running and Nationals, before probably going deeper into the stage for the second run through. Sunday will probably be Alwen 1 & 2, as I've got the maps from the 1993 RAC so know where that stage will be. Once the final maps emerge I'll see if Brenig 2 is doable too. I'm not too sure on the parking situation for Sunday though, I've been meaning to contact you for advice on that! You may be getting a PM from me soon. ;)

Doon
11th September 2014, 10:34

I have mine sorted for Dyfnant, but where are the Dyfi and brenig ones? Please advise :)

Mintexmemory
11th September 2014, 11:39
I have mine sorted for Dyfnant, but where are the Dyfi and brenig ones? Please advise :)

What arcane information are you bringing to the party - friend Doon
Winter is coming!

christy but
15th September 2014, 16:27
the online rally planner was online on the walesrallygb web page this morning but I didn't have time to have a look .but I went to have a look now and its gone.!!

christy but
15th September 2014, 16:29
the online rally planner was online on the walesrallygb web page this morning but I didn't have time to have a look .but I went to have a look now and its gone.!!

back again http://www.walesrallygb.com/spectators/rallyplanner.php

christy but
15th September 2014, 19:07
can a paper back copy of the planner be got ??the online maps are hard to read

the sniper
15th September 2014, 19:18
You can download a PDF of it and print it yourself. I downloaded it just incase they remove it! The PDF means you can also zoom in on the maps.

Fly_Half
15th September 2014, 20:45

Double post!

Fly_Half
15th September 2014, 20:47

That's a road section. Andre Lavadinho takes alot of images on non-competitive sections.

the sniper
18th September 2014, 20:52
WRC Live will be available via a 'Wales Rally FM' radio station on 87.7FM from before Shakedown on Thursday through till the finish on Sunday. http://www.walesrallygb.com/news/3049.php

When was the last time the rally had a station on FM? Should be a welcome addition anyway!

Doon
18th September 2014, 22:21
What arcane information are you bringing to the party - friend Doon
Winter is coming!

Lol does this mean we are trading info in a Game of Thrones?? I have some for Myherin :( but now else! Please help ;)

christy but
20th September 2014, 22:27
anybody know what stage it is at 50 seconds on the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4yD2NcFTw

Brynmor Pierce
25th September 2014, 19:54
anybody know what stage it is at 50 seconds on the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4yD2NcFTw

It's Clocaenog east, the section were they run alongside the fields for about a mile, commonly known to us locals as 'The Golden Mile' due to the colour of the trees in Autumn...

Mintexmemory
26th September 2014, 10:35
It's Clocaenog east, the section were they run alongside the fields for about a mile, commonly known to us locals as 'The Golden Mile' due to the colour of the trees in Autumn...

Truly a bit of bardic imagery there Brynmor - so will that be in the s/d section?

Brynmor Pierce
26th September 2014, 22:33
Truly a bit of bardic imagery there Brynmor - so will that be in the s/d section?

Upon which tracks they travel I do not know ;-)

In other words I've not seen a map for shakedown yet haha!!

Incidentally anyone up by Wednesday evening we're running our forum again, already one of the main teams are joining us along with several past winners...all in aid of Welsh Air Ambulance.

Doon
29th September 2014, 13:01
Where is forum being held?

Brynmor Pierce
29th September 2014, 23:03
Where is forum being held? Village Urban resort Ewloe...i'll post full details in a week or so

Brynmor Pierce
3rd October 2014, 21:17
‘’The stars come out at Night’’

The 12th November will see the 2nd running of the ‘North Wales Rally Forum’, the night before the regions biggest sporting event, Wales Rally GB, kicks off in Deeside. Based again at the Village Hotel St.David’s Park Ewloe, the team from local motor club Broughton Bretton will be looking to build on 2013’s successful inaugural event which saw over £2000 donated to various charities. This year’s nominated charity is Wales Air Ambulance.

Compered once again by 1996 British Champion co-driver and S4C presenter Howard Davies, he will be ably assisted by the font of all knowledge on the World Rally Championship ,official WRC radio presenter Colin Clark.

First of our guests is current Citroen Abu Dhabi World Rally Team driver, one of two UK drivers currently in the WRC ,Kris Meeke.

The organsiers are also delighted to confirm the attendance of the UK’s very own M-Sport World Rally Team !! Representing them is Wales’s newest World Rally star Elfyn Evans.

Our first guest from the glory days we can confirm is 1980 Rally GB winning co-driver Paul White. Paul was the man who guided the sadly much missed Henri Toivonen on that event, he has also sat alongside such luminaries as Markku Alen and Mikael Sundstrom. No doubt the stories will be the stuff of legend.

Event organiser Brynmor Pierce ‘’we’re indebted to the generosity of the crews and guests in giving their time so freely and to the Rally GB organsiers for really getting behind what we’re trying to do’’, ‘’as a small local motor club the chance to promote such a prestigious evening whilst raising funds for a cause close to all of us was one which we couldn’t miss, the feedback has been amazing’’.

Tickets go on sale from Monday October 13th priced at £12 each, available via Nia on 01352 219210 or 07777 659186, doors due to open at 6.30pm on the 12th November.

Please direct any media related enquiries to Brynmor Pierce on 07952 592445

--Ends—

Note: Guests are subject to change, the evening is wholly promoted by Broughton Bretton Motor Club Ltd. WRGB organisers IMS are not responsible for the running / promotion or otherwise of the evening.

dodge33cymru
7th October 2014, 19:51
Sorry, I know this is the most annoying sort of question possible on these boards, but when does the entry list usually get announced?

MJW
7th October 2014, 20:20
Sorry, I know this is the most annoying sort of question possible on these boards, but when does the entry list usually get announced?
closing date for entries received is Monday 13th Oct. Some info will appear about a week after that,usually Manufacturers team entries first, then the full list.

wwbroe
7th October 2014, 20:21
I see in rallyguide 1 that closing date for entries is 13 oktober, so i guess in the days after that the entrylist will be announced.

Edit: MJW was just a little bit faster:D

dodge33cymru
7th October 2014, 22:26
Thanks guys, I think I asked exactly the same question last year, apologies!

Only did Friday and Thursday last year, so looking forward to seeing the full 2/day national field this year too.

306 Cosworth
8th October 2014, 09:48
Have heard rumours that Petter Solberg is doing the rally in a 2wd car'. Anyone have any more info? Could it be the Tuthill's Porsche R-GT?

Mintexmemory
8th October 2014, 13:59
Have heard rumours that Petter Solberg is doing the rally in a 2wd car'. Anyone have any more info? Could it be the Tuthill's Porsche R-GT?
So that would make Condroz a warm up - maybe a taster for the GT cup?

Brynmor Pierce
10th October 2014, 22:17
Cracking launch yesterday, Drivers present included Evans,Meeke and Paddon....looks a really bright future for the event. Made my day with a run in an ex Pond 6R4 !!

jbmarcus21
17th October 2014, 21:22
Google Earth Map Wales Rally GB is out http://planetemarcus.com/saison-wrc/wrc-rallye-grande-bretagne-2014/

Mintexmemory
21st October 2014, 09:25
As my plans won't permit a visit to service during the competitive days I planned to go there for shakedown morning. The idea was to arrive about 06.30 watch the teams preparing and leaving for s/d then watch them back in about 10.30. According to the WRGB Website the service park doesn't open until 11.00 on the thursday, i.e. after the interesting stuff has finished. I've e-mailed the organisers pointing out this error in their arrangements. Please would anyone wanting to get a Thursday morning close up view of proceedings do the same, thanks.

MJW
21st October 2014, 14:08
As my plans won't permit a visit to service during the competitive days I planned to go there for shakedown morning. The idea was to arrive about 06.30 watch the teams preparing and leaving for s/d then watch them back in about 10.30. According to the WRGB Website the service park doesn't open until 11.00 on the thursday, i.e. after the interesting stuff has finished. I've e-mailed the organisers pointing out this error in their arrangements. Please would anyone wanting to get a Thursday morning close up view of proceedings do the same, thanks.
Do you realise there is a remote service for S/D on Thursday? Top teams will as you say be leaving Service to be ataShakedown by 08:00. The between runs of shakedown service wont be at main service park in Deeside. OK they will be returning after their session finished at 10:00 but I just wanted to point out that there is s remote service for S/D on Thursday morning ands there may not be a lot going on at Deeside during the times you planned to be there.

Mintexmemory
21st October 2014, 14:56
Yep, knew that MJ - I really wanted to get the shots of the cars leaving under floodlight - although if access is not possible the remote would be an option. Do you know the exact location - if it's in the Cloc closed road zone then it might be difficult to access too.

Fast Eddie WRC
21st October 2014, 22:11
Tomorrow morning we'll get the full International and National entry lists ... :)

wwbroe
22nd October 2014, 09:35
Here it is: http://www.walesrallygb.com/documents/2014_WRGB_List_of_Entries_Received_INT_21-10-14.pdf

And the national one: http://www.walesrallygb.com/documents/2014_WRGB_National_Entry_List_22-10-14.pdf

Mintexmemory
22nd October 2014, 11:23
The return of Matthew Wilson in WRC2!

wwbroe
22nd October 2014, 11:26
The return of Matthew Wilson in WRC2!

Yes, with RRC version of the Fiesta

tommeke_B
22nd October 2014, 11:27
The list looks good, also some good crews behind the WRC-cars, something that's often missing last years in WRC... No DS3 R5 by the way? I thought Lefebvre was going to drive one?

EightGear
22nd October 2014, 11:38
Lefebvre is there, I couldn't find him at first neither but he's listed between the R3Ts

wwbroe
22nd October 2014, 12:31
Richard Tuthill back in action with GT-3 Porsche !

Doon
22nd October 2014, 14:15
Cracking entry, great to see so many talented brits in WRC2; Cave, Bogie, Thorburn, Pryce and McCormack.

Mintexmemory
22nd October 2014, 14:49
Cracking entry, great to see so many talented brits in WRC2; Cave, Bogie, Thorburn, Pryce and McCormack.

Bodes well for a decent home entry in Rally Yorkshire ERC next year!

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd October 2014, 15:56
Richard Tuthill back in action with GT-3 Porsche !

But no Petter Solberg.. :(

wwbroe
22nd October 2014, 16:04
But no Petter Solberg.. :(
He will be in Condroz rally with Citroen C4 WRC;)

AndyRAC
22nd October 2014, 16:48

Yes, here's hoping. But it's too close to RallyGB...

Mintexmemory
22nd October 2014, 19:34
True but it does present a chance to shine and after the Cave and Price ding dong in 2012 (great battle) they among others would relish going to stages few outside of the UK (Nikara and Korhonen) have experienced.

dodge33cymru
23rd October 2014, 00:10
Great list in general, lots of depth and will keep me engaged throughout the day.

Minor downside that there are no Fabias or 208 T16s, but can't complain in general: bigger WRC, WRC2 fields, varied National list and several Brits in top class machinery.

rallyfiend
23rd October 2014, 09:14

I'm sceptical the event will happen, and if it does, that the MSA will allow it to run any time close to Rally GB.

No chance.

Mintexmemory
23rd October 2014, 09:37
I'm sceptical the event will happen, and if it does, that the MSA will allow it to run any time close to Rally GB.

No chance.

What's the problem with it being close to WALES Rally GB. Different catchment, different cars in the main. In terms of officials fatigue the RAC has always been 2 weeks after the WRC event and always manages a decent muster. I think with the organisation in place and the work already done it will happen. The MSA have had their chance to deal with the calendar issues this is now an FIA timetabled event, which as I understand it trumps MSA.

rallyfiend
23rd October 2014, 10:01
What's the problem with it being close to WALES Rally GB. Different catchment, different cars in the main. In terms of officials fatigue the RAC has always been 2 weeks after the WRC event and always manages a decent muster. I think with the organisation in place and the work already done it will happen. The MSA have had their chance to deal with the calendar issues this is now an FIA timetabled event, which as I understand it trumps MSA.

Even at F1 and WRC level, it is the ASN that proposes an event to a calendar for FIA approval - via the series promoter.
The ASN is the delegated body that has to make the first step, however.

Doon
24th October 2014, 19:20
Reading Motorsport News, it says that Matthew Wilson is driving a Fiesta RRC because there is a lack of Fiesta WRCs available at M-Sport. I thought the RRC was a WRC with a some aero package missing and bigger restrictor on the turbo? So why cant they convert it to WRC specification?

makinen_fan
27th October 2014, 22:29
Paddon testing today in wales:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C89H02wJFfk&feature=youtu.be
and some photos
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.839537196076591&type=3&l=5fa14c6e34

satukata
27th October 2014, 22:54
Great to see what Tom Cave and other Brits can do in WRC2

Fly_Half
28th October 2014, 20:13
Lucky enough to attend a Hyundai pre Rally GB test today:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7575/15466648038_e8679b0cac_z.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3934/15467228030_22d174a13b_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7576/15466153029_195912d472_z.jpg

makinen_fan
28th October 2014, 21:08
Also Ogier tested today

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/q81/p480x480/10645049_840181532678824_5243776648969082943_n.jpg ?oh=42d3158cf3c5a707502289772cb385d3&oe=54F0E75D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p480x480/10329043_840181312678846_3397393225925182584_n.jpg ?oh=2914b0d2ade02375319cdf5828673cdd&oe=54DE33E7&__gda__=1424897370_75bb9c7a845fc1c3eeef30178d8ab49 f

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.840180866012224&type=3&l=0f5e0ea175

makinen_fan
29th October 2014, 10:53
VW test video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_5yWPfsjtM&feature=youtu.be

MrJan
29th October 2014, 13:13
I've got a day off work on Friday, anyone know if any teams will be testing?

dodge33cymru
30th October 2014, 18:23
Anyone know whereabouts in Gartheinog these are taken:

https://twitter.com/OfficialWRC/status/527842554021437440

?

I fancy finding that spot from the last picture at least.

rage82
30th October 2014, 21:58
Reading Motorsport News, it says that Matthew Wilson is driving a Fiesta RRC because there is a lack of Fiesta WRCs available at M-Sport. I thought the RRC was a WRC with a some aero package missing and bigger restrictor on the turbo? So why cant they convert it to WRC specification?
I think you are right about RRC car. Maybe they don't have enough spare parts to convert it?

HarriK
31st October 2014, 09:04
I'm going to Wales Rally also. Doing some mechanican job there. Nice to see this rally first time (althought by service park, but still) =)

Mintexmemory
31st October 2014, 09:54
I'm going to Wales Rally also. Doing some mechanican job there. Nice to see this rally first time (althought by service park, but still) =)
Who for? Forumers can stop by and say hi! You may even get to do some mechanicing :)

HarriK
31st October 2014, 20:47
Who for? Forumers can stop by and say hi! You may even get to do some mechanicing :)
With Printsport Racing and propably under Kruuda's car I might do something =)
9.11 flight to Manchester.

christy but
1st November 2014, 15:19
anybody know of a good viewing spot in the dyfi stage?

manthey
3rd November 2014, 18:13

maybe because wrc-kit was to build from zero and not freely available from other cars to swap....

er88
3rd November 2014, 21:50

Bogie will dominate them. In fact he will win WRC 2 if he keeps it on the road. Quote me on it ;-)

SubaruNorway
3rd November 2014, 22:39
maybe because wrc-kit was to build from zero and not freely available from other cars to swap....

They didn't mean RRC instead of R5 then, it said he's in an R5 somewhere now.

manthey
4th November 2014, 08:16
They didn't mean RRC instead of R5 then, it said he's in an R5 somewhere now.

if I get the point, MM magazine wrote a wrong news about him switching from wrc to rrc? was it a supposition of the magazine based on the tied connection wrc-rrc? am I wrong?

Juha_Koo
4th November 2014, 13:51
Nice video about Haapamäki's testing for Wales! (in English) Hoping a good result for them!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wAGDCkC-HLk

Mintexmemory
4th November 2014, 14:03
Bogie will dominate them. In fact he will win WRC 2 if he keeps it on the road. Quote me on it ;-)

Prepared to stick my neck out here in that Bogie will find it extremely difficult to place top 5. He's not used to the 5-10 of the opposition being as well equipped as he is. He may beat Wilson though ;)

EstWRC
4th November 2014, 23:08
Jari-Matti Latvala Volkswagen WRC 2014 Wales Rally GB Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFwKG-240JE&feature=youtu.be

Juho Hänninen Hyundai WRC Wales Rally GB Test 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TjudXN3LrE

Thierry Neuville Wales Rally GB Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r58rC2exUs

Mintexmemory
6th November 2014, 00:41
people from Ireland north or south come along to dfynant on Saturday to view point 4 the hairpin area for a bit of craic.bring your flags and hats and whatever you have.!!! give this a read http://ditchslapped.com/index.php/irish-corner/ #irishcorner

Oh fantastic, overcrowd the place why don't you!! - there is only a bank on the exit with no standing on the entrance and apex as cars have been known to get very out of shape and carry straight on over a big drop! I'd pick a much safer place to congregate if I were you ;)

makinen_fan
6th November 2014, 09:13
Last year the place was way overcrowded and the marshals didnt manage to keep people out of the inside of the hairpin.
This year being an uphill right hairpin, so even less spectacular. I would avoid this point I think

tommeke_B
7th November 2014, 11:20
Looking forward... The itinerary looks quite spectator-friendly (better than when it was in South of Wales I think)?

@Bluuford, any depressing weather predictions?

Mintexmemory
7th November 2014, 12:54
Tom, trying to stage hop will be a nightmare. The only way it is possible is to have parking spots very near the spectator zones and not to go exploring outside of these areas. This only facilitates the first move of the day, after that it will be mayhem. There is no way that the rally pass represents good value. Media access or helicopter are necessary to see more that 3 stages in 1 day!

MrJan
7th November 2014, 13:36
There is no way that the rally pass represents good value. Media access or helicopter are necessary to see more that 3 stages in 1 day!

In my experience it's difficult enough to see 3 stages. It's one of the reasons that I probably won't bother to go. A 5 hour each way journey, sleeping in the car and all the money on fuel, tickets etc. to see the cars maybe twice in daylight and once at night just isn't worth it IMO.

makinen_fan
7th November 2014, 15:11
Looking forward... The itinerary looks quite spectator-friendly (better than when it was in South of Wales I think)?

@Bluuford, any depressing weather predictions?

Not really spectator friendly in terms of stages you can see. Road mileage to stage is more now especially if you want to visit service park every night.
Switching between stage has never been a problem for me. But usually it means 2 stages, 3 in a day is very rare. This year it can be done on Saturday but is very marginal. The major problem is the distance you may have to walk (or run :p) if you arrive late at the stage.

AndyRAC
7th November 2014, 18:02
I think you're best staying for the day in the same stage. The days of stage hopping are over...for now. As such, the passes aren't worth the money. I'm paying on the gate, having previously bought tickets.

turves
7th November 2014, 18:05
Im hoping to pay at the entrance to the woods, as I only found out Wednesday I could go. If I book a day pass now I have to drive to Deeside or flaming Llandudno! If that fails, i'll be parking up somewhere and walking in!

Doon
7th November 2014, 19:20
In my experience it's difficult enough to see 3 stages. It's one of the reasons that I probably won't bother to go. A 5 hour each way journey, sleeping in the car and all the money on fuel, tickets etc. to see the cars maybe twice in daylight and once at night just isn't worth it IMO.

Actually for the first time that I can remember its actually possible to watch 4 stages on Friday, and you don't even have to change car parks!

MartijnS
7th November 2014, 19:38
Great livery for Wilson!!

https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-0/1455191_814015938641460_4532134797575719952_n.jpg? oh=b6db21d2d69b37f5049eb7c4114a370c&oe=54EA1062&__gda__=1423901483_df40f9ba9658853680219568f90217f b !

Fast Eddie WRC
7th November 2014, 19:45
.. any depressing weather predictions?

Oh yes... in the paper today :(

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B11F91gIgAARfW2.jpg

EstWRC
7th November 2014, 19:47
Wilson's livery http://www.m-sport.co.uk/m-sport-news/fiesta-rrc/wilson-and-michelin-reunite-for-wales-rally-gb.html

RJM
7th November 2014, 20:10
Actually for the first time that I can remember its actually possible to watch 4 stages on Friday, and you don't even have to change car parks!

Do you really think its possible to view the 4 stages? there ran straight after each other, how much of a walk is it between them?

SubaruNorway
7th November 2014, 20:34
Henning Solberg's livery for Wales

Doon
7th November 2014, 20:55
Do you really think its possible to view the 4 stages? there ran straight after each other, how much of a walk is it between them?

1km

Doon
7th November 2014, 20:58
The is 30 mins between stage start times, so seeing the Top 5 is possible. Worth a try, no?

Mintexmemory
7th November 2014, 21:06
The is 30 mins between stage start times, so seeing the Top 5 is possible. Worth a try, no?
Yes possible but poor positions among crowds at both locations. So not worth it in my book -

Doon
7th November 2014, 21:17
How do you know that they are poor locations, or that crowds will even be in these spot? Are you some kind of mind reader?

dodge33cymru
7th November 2014, 23:04
The start at Gartheinog is the main spectator area and will likely be quite busy judging by last year's Friday. I don't know what the start area of Dyfi is like though, so I can't say for that one.

With the national field looming as good as it does though, I think I'll be perfectly content to wander around one or the other of these stages all day, if I get bored after the nationals pass Gartheinog then maybe I'll try hopping over to Dyfi for the second pass, but I don't fancy Sweet Lamb with how crowded it was last year.

Priorat
8th November 2014, 08:44
This can be useful on Sunday:

http://www.hiraethog.org.uk/things-to-do/the-alwen-trail-p291471

manthey
8th November 2014, 09:19
Great livery for Wilson!!

https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-0/1455191_814015938641460_4532134797575719952_n.jpg? oh=b6db21d2d69b37f5049eb7c4114a370c&oe=54EA1062&__gda__=1423901483_df40f9ba9658853680219568f90217f b !

so at the end he got the RRC and not R5 as last rumor

Rally Power
8th November 2014, 11:37
That livery gets some nice memories back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xIpvSQFNcY&list=PLsofpDpOcMyeBArE1q-fyQQiwIerBmod8

Simmi
8th November 2014, 14:37
I think you're best staying for the day in the same stage. The days of stage hopping are over...for now. As such, the passes aren't worth the money. I'm paying on the gate, having previously bought tickets.

I'm doing exactly the same. Given some people couldn't get into stages last year, surely rocking up for the second run is risky? I understand stage-hopping if you'll see the cars extra times, but I've never understood doing it just to see the cars on a different stage to the one you've just come from. Just walk to a different part of the stage you're on.

It just adds extra stress in my book for no gain. But I understand everyone is different.

Doon
8th November 2014, 22:00
Did a recce of the service park, Hyundai and M-Sport were erecting their stuff. Spent the evening chatting to a guy from Hyundai's security team in our local pub. Nice chap, French, Ogier fan.

EstWRC
8th November 2014, 22:53
thanks for the feedback! i hope you post more in the coming days:)

Long 18 minute WRGB Pre-event testing video! VW Motorsport & Hyundai Motorsport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGOXTqjqOU&feature=youtu.be

satnav
9th November 2014, 23:58
[QUOTE@Bluuford, any depressing weather predictions?[/QUOTE]

Here's a link to the weather for the week ahead , looking very wet and very windy ........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/29978088

AndyRAC
10th November 2014, 00:55
Need to move the event back a few weeks to get some proper RAC weather.....

harriswrc
10th November 2014, 09:58
Any news about non starters?
Henning Solberg, Pyrame, Alonso, Kasim, Urlichich?

dodge33cymru
10th November 2014, 10:52
Solberg's been showing a new paint scheme so you have to assume he'll be there.

EstWRC
10th November 2014, 12:14
Tänak's livery :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2EyzdbCEAEjWnI.jpg

Simmi
10th November 2014, 15:03
Anyone got any tips for Clocaenog Main viewing-wise?

bluuford
10th November 2014, 15:18
Weather for GB:
Sorry guys, have been busy with other work.
Weather looks to become better than most sites are predicting.

Wednesday: Some showers. some sun, pretty strong wind but it gets better and will be dry ovenight.

Thursday:
It seems that most of the shaedown will be held without rain but mostly cloudy weather temperature +7..+8 wind 3..6 m/s. Rain starts in the noon time and lasts until the early morning. It will be very heavy rain in most places and inundation is highly likely in lower places. Approximately 25mm of rain is expected in 18 hours, that means 25 cubic meters of water per one hectar or constant 2.5 cm thick layer of water on the surface. Moderate wind is aso expected (not too strong).

Friday:
Rain should be mostly over by the mroning stages and there might be a few raindrops here and there. wind drops to 2-3 m/s and temperature climbs up to +10 degrees by the noontime. Sun might appear from noon as well. Afternoon should be without rain. windspeed drops to 1..2 m/s. So, fog might appear on such cases.

Saturday:
Night will be without any rain and the whole day should be without major rain but cloudy (all the time), just a few light/foggy moments here and there. temperature in the morning will be +6..+7 and close to +10 during the most of the day. Wind is going to pick up a little to 3..4 m/s. So, there should be no fear of big fog.

Sunday:
No major rain expected for the night. Morning stages should be all with sun and clouds, clouds and sun. light drizzle might appear here and there. Short stages close to the coastline might be without rain and more sunny. temperature +9..+10 and will be more windy - 5..6 m/s. It should get cloudier from the noon and there is no more sun for powerstage, most likely.

Seems to be very wet begging and gradually improving conditions for the rally with some fog possibility for Friday.

Fast Eddie WRC
10th November 2014, 16:26
Becs: WRC Live is pleased to announce that our 2nd stage end reporter for Wales Rally GB is...Craig Breen!

Craig Breen : 'I'll be making my WRC Live debut at Wales Rally GB next week. Interesting to be on the other side!'

It'll be nice to hear from a driver with some serious comments instead of the usual Colin Clark waffle.. if he can get a word in edgeways... :rolleyes:

AndyRAC
10th November 2014, 17:22
If he's as good as Lara Vanneste then we should be okay..... I thought she did a good job in Valais.

tommeke_B
10th November 2014, 17:35
Thanks Bluuford! ;) Looks much better than on most websites indeed.

Fast Eddie WRC
10th November 2014, 18:02
From WalesrallyGB.com

BIGGEST BRITISH CHALLENGE FOR MORE THAN A DECADE

Not since the heady days of Colin McRae and Richard Burns have British fans had so much to celebrate on their home round of the World Rally Championship.

With Kris Meeke on the verge of his maiden WRC win and Elfyn Evans fast becoming a serious challenger, there are two British drivers in the hunt for glory. Since joining Citroen Total Abu Dhabi WRT at the start of this season, Meeke has notched up four podiums and taken the fight to Ogier on many occasions.

"I've really enjoyed my first full season in the WRC, and competing on Wales Rally GB will be the icing on the cake," admitted the 35-year-old Ulsterman. "I don't have a great deal of experience of Wales Rally GB, having only entered it once over the past eight years, but it's always been a legendary event. My first-ever rally was actually through Dyfi Forest, so I feel at home on these stages - I can't wait!"

Evans is a local hero in his native north Wales and, while the 25-year-old from Dolgellau is still being groomed for future stardom, he's already proved his potential with stage wins and no fewer than five top six finishes to date in 2014. Last year, he sent the fans home happy taking WRC2 honours and finishing eighth overall - now armed with an M-Sport prepared Fiesta RS WRC a podium isn't out of the question.

"There's something special about contesting your home event with a world rally car and I am really looking forward to it," said Evans. "The itinerary looks fantastic - I can't wait to get out there and I'm sure we're going to enjoy every minute of it.

"We've had a pretty good debut season, and it would be great to finish on a high at home. Of course there will be a lot of very quick drivers so we will just have to wait and see what happens. If we can show some positive speed and be challenging on occasion I'll be happy; but more than anything I just want to enjoy the experience and put on a good show for the home crowd."

Criterium
10th November 2014, 19:45
As usual, and for the last time this year, RallyVista offers to you a tour around the stages:

http://i59.servimg.com/u/f59/15/38/23/21/presrv10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/view/15382321/1118)
http://www.interactiveinfluence.com/techali/rallyvista/

KKS
10th November 2014, 20:37
Becs: WRC Live is pleased to announce that our 2nd stage end reporter for Wales Rally GB is...Craig Breen!

Craig Breen : 'I'll be making my WRC Live debut at Wales Rally GB next week. Interesting to be on the other side!'

It'll be nice to hear from a driver with some serious comments instead of the usual Colin Clark waffle.. if he can get a word in edgeways... :rolleyes:
Keetoma was a good choice. I prefer him. But will see how Craig manage this

pettersolberg29
10th November 2014, 21:40
Henning was due to be a DNS but MSport are currently getting the test car ready for him so looks like he may start after all! Livery as yet unknown though - earlier posts apparently inaccurate.

Sch17
10th November 2014, 22:55
Just looked at the GB programm and the live stage will be only Sunday. Its just sad, it should be lowest 1 stage per each day. Hope next year they can fix that

stefanvv
10th November 2014, 22:56
It's not surprising. More live stages means more wrc+ subscribers. But with the quality they offer, hardly.

pettersolberg29
10th November 2014, 23:03
Anyone got any tips for Clocaenog Main viewing-wise?

On top of that, anyone got any idea where the Cloc Main car park is? i.e what part of the stage it opens on to

car
10th November 2014, 23:14
Can anyone please point me to a decent fast section if I am spectating on Dyfi?
Many thanks and I wish all who are spectating/ involved a good rally.

pettersolberg29
10th November 2014, 23:23
Can anyone please point me to a decent fast section if I am spectating on Dyfi?
Many thanks and I wish all who are spectating/ involved a good rally.

There's some nice places on Dyfi near where Kubica went off last year (I know that doesn't narrow it down much ;) )

noel157
11th November 2014, 08:52
Lots of R5 cars testing, Mini plus Fisher's R3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew84DfB4pqc&feature=em-uploademail

Fly_Half
11th November 2014, 12:08
Couple from the P2 test:

Osian Pryce
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3944/15144168114_16ba1a2a68_z.jpg

Ketomaa
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3938/15578290419_510ac25df0_z.jpg

Kangaur
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7474/15144720763_de915fe2af_z.jpg

Nasser
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5610/15578291899_e775862ec9_z.jpg

AndyRAC
11th November 2014, 12:38
Just looked at the GB programm and the live stage will be only Sunday. Its just sad, it should be lowest 1 stage per each day. Hope next year they can fix that

Wow!! One Live stage - they're really spoiling us...... 20 years ago we got the Clumber Park stage live on the Sunday.... Progress eh... ;)

rallyfiend
11th November 2014, 12:46
Wow!! One Live stage - they're really spoiling us...... 20 years ago we got the Clumber Park stage live on the Sunday.... Progress eh... ;)

It's a 100% increase on last year.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th November 2014, 13:33
One live stage for WRGB is not good enough. There's no excuse as they could easily put cameras at the Chirk & Kinmel stages..

No chance of WRC growing with so little live coverage. :(

Tom206wrc
11th November 2014, 14:20
I hope Kris Meeke will impress us in Wales this week-end :bounce:
I guess Alastair Fisher will want to win his "home" rally in JWRC too ;)

Gaz-M
11th November 2014, 14:50
Hi folks, me and a mate coming down from Scotland to the WRC for the first time.

We will be down for Saturday and Sunday, can you's please tell me what our best plan is?

What stages should we attempt to see and what viewing areas to head for?

Last stage on Sunday a must, looking over the loch?

Any advice much appreciated!!

Fly_Half
11th November 2014, 14:57
I'd definitely be heading for Brenig on the Sunday which is also the Power Stage.

ps. It's a 'Llyn' in these parts ;)

Gaz-M
11th November 2014, 15:10
Brenig and only Brenig yeh?

Thanks, Llyn instead of Loch is it?

Fly_Half
11th November 2014, 15:33
Two stages run on Sunday are Alwen and Brenig, although both run along their respective lakes (Llyn Alwen and Llyn Brenig), the Brenig stage is a bit more open so is your best bet for viewing.

And yes, your Lochs are our Llyns.

Mintexmemory
11th November 2014, 16:27
.... and for non UK residents this pair of Celtic chaps are referring to 'lakes' ;)

Doon
11th November 2014, 16:49
Technically they are both reservoirs anyway ;) Which are more 'dammed river', than lake.

Dnx
11th November 2014, 20:12
Hi all,

New poster but long time reader (many years in fact).

I was hoping someone could give some viewing tips for Dyfnant on Saturday, we're planning on watching both runs of the WRC field and the national field in between. Can anyone help with the following:

1.) The rally planner says arriving "just a couple of hours" before the first car won't guarantee a parking space, how much should I realistically allow? Driving down from Manchester and don't really want to leave before 5am!

2.) What gives access to better viewing, car park M or car park N?

3.) Any particular recommended spots? I want to steer clear of the spectator pens and don't mind walking to find a high commitment section. OS map references would be ideal if anyone can share some.

Cheers!

Dunc

SVrally
11th November 2014, 20:26
Great final for WRC2 ... I love WRC2 !!! :)

Fast Eddie WRC
11th November 2014, 20:42
I hope Kris Meeke will impress us in Wales this weekend :bounce:

I think we all hope that, but I wouldn't hold out a much hope of a high placing as Kris has little experience on Rally GB with only one recent appearance on the event.

I doubt he will be on the pace of the VW's here and I think the best he can do is a top 5 place if a few others dont finish...

EDIT: Meeke's last Rally GB outing ... in a Bentley ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IZO5OBcn3A&sns=em

Fast Eddie WRC
11th November 2014, 20:46
BBC Wales video interview with Elfyn Evans: :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/29990997

samWRC
11th November 2014, 20:50
Lots of R5 cars testing, Mini plus Fisher's R3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew84DfB4pqc&feature=em-uploademail
Looks like McCormack will use Fiesta S2000 instead of R5?

dodge33cymru
11th November 2014, 21:36
Hi all,

New poster but long time reader (many years in fact).

I was hoping someone could give some viewing tips for Dyfnant on Saturday, we're planning on watching both runs of the WRC field and the national field in between. Can anyone help with the following:

1.) The rally planner says arriving "just a couple of hours" before the first car won't guarantee a parking space, how much should I realistically allow? Driving down from Manchester and don't really want to leave before 5am!

2.) What gives access to better viewing, car park M or car park N?

3.) Any particular recommended spots? I want to steer clear of the spectator pens and don't mind walking to find a high commitment section. OS map references would be ideal if anyone can share some.

Cheers!

Dunc

Hi there.

The 'couple of hours' warning is a result of last year where they had bigger crowds than they were expecting. I was taken by surprise too, but Shakedown I got to just in time and people were arriving all day at the other stages too; a couple of hours before should be OK to get a spot, but you might need a bit of a trek if there are a lot of overnighters. I'm planning on the same though.

I don't know the stage, but check out as many YouTube onboards as you can find. If you have a look for 'Irish Corner', it might be worth heading there.

Mintexmemory
12th November 2014, 01:03
Hi there.

The 'couple of hours' warning is a result of last year where they had bigger crowds than they were expecting. I was taken by surprise too, but Shakedown I got to just in time and people were arriving all day at the other stages too; a couple of hours before should be OK to get a spot, but you might need a bit of a trek if there are a lot of overnighters. I'm planning on the same though.

I don't know the stage, but check out as many YouTube onboards as you can find. If you have a look for 'Irish Corner', it might be worth heading there.
Can we just stop this 'Irish Corner' nonsense! There isn't enough room there to accommodate a big crowd. It can only end in tears!! Up hill hairpins are rarely spectacular.

MrJan
12th November 2014, 01:11
Can we just stop this 'Irish Corner' nonsense! There isn't enough room there to accommodate a big crowd. It can only end in tears!! Up hill hairpins are rarely spectacular.

True on all counts. If the crowds get too big it doesn't take much for organisers these days to cancel stages...and I've never understood the appeal of hairpins, I always like to see the best drivers in the world in a spot where they're really on it.

the sniper
12th November 2014, 08:53
What are the catering facilities like provided at the official stage car parks, as the rally planner doesn't really say anything beyond showing a symbol that they exist... Usual burger van stuff presumably, good for bacon/sausage rolls? What time do they usual start?

AndyRAC
12th November 2014, 09:47
Usual burger van stuff? Ha ha, yes; though the programme always makes out you’re going to get something different. I’d take your own food and cook it yourself.

Mintexmemory
12th November 2014, 11:10
Usual burger van stuff? Ha ha, yes; though the programme always makes out you’re going to get something different. I’d take your own food and cook it yourself.
Wouldn't it be amazing if there was a celeb chef pop-up marquee and maybe a Guiness sponsored beer marquee?
However I shall be carrying my portable gas ring, lightweight frying pan and kettle into Dyfi and Dyfnant as they are going to be L_O_N_G days and car park burger vans will be a distant mirage. It may take some carrying but it's worth it when you see the envious glances as you tuck into the sausage butty!

Andre Oliveira
12th November 2014, 12:33
No Tuthil's Porsche?

Gaz-M
12th November 2014, 12:47
Good shout, i will take my stove and some bacon too! :)

So for a first timer, what would be our best bet on the Sat and Sun?

Go to one stage and see Internationals, nationals then Internationals in the dark? What stages?

MartijnS
12th November 2014, 12:48
No Tuthil's Porsche?

No, gravel spec not yet approved by FIA they tweeted.

HarriK
12th November 2014, 12:50
Henning's car prepared for the rally today morning.384

Why is the rim inner like that?
Rim's only for toe adjustment?

dodge33cymru
12th November 2014, 14:15
Urgh, the Porsche news is ridiculous: according to Tuthill they sent the paperwork in May and it's still not approved.

Fast Eddie WRC
12th November 2014, 14:34
Hope the Porsche can do some demo runs with the Group B cars ...

bluuford
12th November 2014, 16:29
I can tell you that Porsche is not very spectacular car on humid gravel. It is pretty slow and I would say it is not exciting for me. It is completely different story on tarmac.

pettersolberg29
12th November 2014, 16:41
I can tell you that Porsche is not very spectacular car on humid gravel. It is pretty slow and I would say it is not exciting for me. It is completely different story on tarmac.

Agreed - it's a shame for Richard and the team, and it's always cool to see, but it's not as amazing as people make out on gravel I don't think

306 Cosworth
12th November 2014, 16:42

Did you see Richard testing the car on Gravel then?

Anyway i'm just about to set off for Wales, 4 nights in the car should be fun. Can't wait to see the worlds best in action once again, been planning filming locations for a couple of weeks now, so fingers crossed it all works out!

Fast Eddie WRC
12th November 2014, 16:46
The Porsche still sounds great whatever the surface.. ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
12th November 2014, 21:13
Tuthill 997 on gravel looks pretty good to me...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2QHaQOCEAEhrz-.jpg:large

Also, how come a Porsche 997 GT3 was OK to run on gravel in Finland ??

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10569064_540065179453249_2150588224809133496_n.jpg ?oh=fa0d7526fd75e984af57168f00bb47fb&oe=54DBBF18

A FONDO
12th November 2014, 21:37
The white one looks great, from this angle at least. One of the very few cars I have liked in gravel outfit.

MrJan
12th November 2014, 21:56
Also, how come a Porsche 997 GT3 was OK to run on gravel in Finland ??

It will be down to a particular part that the TUthill car runs that the other doesn't and hasn't been homologated. The irony is that the company that Tuthill use also supplied Citroen WRT and have had 9 championships as a result. There's a rumour going around that the cost of rebuilding/gassing a damper was costing thousands, which was a factor in another top preparation outfit looking to develop their own...although there's a further rumour that they weren't exactly above board about doing that either.

Like I say, all hearsay and conjecture, and I've heard two different sides of the story too.

Mintexmemory
12th November 2014, 22:39
Off to the hills - Get your pickems in on time, still a couple of the top 10 waiting for shakedown pointers.
Hoping to meet up with some at least of
Priorat
Allyc85
Pettersolberg29
Makinen_fan
The Sniper
Cosworth 306
Everyone that's going - have a good one
Phil

Fast Eddie WRC
12th November 2014, 22:49
Great video - Kris Meeke interview & driving the DS3 with Autocar before Rally GB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcAPDKwSUFY

pettersolberg29
12th November 2014, 22:55
Off to the hills - Get your pickems in on time, still a couple of the top 10 waiting for shakedown pointers.
Hoping to meet up with some at least of
Priorat
Allyc85
Pettersolberg29
Makinen_fan
The Sniper
Cosworth 306
Everyone that's going - have a good one
Phil

And you mate - hopefully see you around somewhere or other! Hope the rain stays away as much as possible too.

stefanvv
12th November 2014, 23:16
May be the for gravel homologated (agreed) Porsche will come soon, sure I hope so. 911 was quite a challenger in the toughest Rally - Safari, so why not something similar with the Tuthill adventure project.

Gaz-M
12th November 2014, 23:57
Anyone able to give me tips for Sat & Sun!??? Please!!

mousti
13th November 2014, 00:02
Great video - Kris Meeke interview & driving the DS3 with Autocar before Rally GB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcAPDKwSUFY

That's where the onboard camera should be sitting!

janvanvurpa
13th November 2014, 07:13
True on all counts. If the crowds get too big it doesn't take much for organisers these days to cancel stages...and I've never understood the appeal of hairpins, I always like to see the best drivers in the world in a spot where they're really on it.

Same here. Hairpins...meh. Local film crew seem to gravitate to 90 corners and hairpins where even the best are doing what 25 mph/40 km/hr? I think it may be that there is more time to film vs a nice fast sweeper wher the car may be in view for just 3-4 seconds.. But I want to see some action and most cars are undramatic in hairpins--10 times worse on tarmac. Ugh.

noel157
13th November 2014, 09:48
For me the most exciting areas are 5 and 6th corners/sweepers. Real, on the limit, action.

EstWRC
13th November 2014, 10:00
shakedown after one hour
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2T1WTOIEAA3sas.jpg

Juha_Koo
13th November 2014, 10:08
That's where the onboard camera should be sitting!

A bit too high, difficult to see what's coming ahead. 10-15cms lower would be optimal.

Btw, any special reason behind Prevot sitting alongside Lefebvre in Wales, other than maximizing the knowledge?