PDA

View Full Version : I will probably freeze to death but... 2014 Winter Olympics

Rollo
21st January 2014, 01:24
http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommuni ... mpics.html (http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/01/jamaican-bobsled-team-gets-30k-in-dogecoin-for-sochi-olympics.html)
After a 12-year absence from the Olympics, Jamaica's Disney-famous bobsled team has officially qualified for the 2014 games in Sochi. The only problem? They haven't got enough money to make it there.
Fortunately for bobsled (and film) enthusiasts everywhere, we now live in a time where financially supporting a cause is as simple as pressing the enter key a few times -- and it would appear as though no one loves the promise of a Cool Runnings redux more than Reddit's dogecoin community.
So far, dogecoin enthusiasts have raised more than $30,000 US for the team in dogecoin alone, and they're only just beginning.
- CBC, 20th Jan 2014.

This is part of the reason why we love the games isn't it? Sometimes the noble art of competing even though you have zero chance of winning makes it all worthwhile. Even weirder is the thought that a national bobsled team can be crowdfunded.
Yes, they'll come last; yes they'll lose BUT we all win.

airshifter
21st January 2014, 14:30
It would be great to see the Jamaican team back in a bobsled at the Olympics. TBH during the opening ceremonies I really enjoy the smaller countries who might only have an athlete or two that makes it to the games. Though their chances of a medal are often very slim, they get to represent their country, and that is really what it should all be about.

Sadly, if they don't get a better grip on things soon, I wouldn't be surprised if some countries pull out of the games. It seems that the security issues are not yet resolved, and terrorists are dead set on making an impression of their own.

MrJan
22nd January 2014, 18:59
Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, get on up, it's bobsled time!!

Looking forward to this, in particular the ski-cross and hockey. I'm not sure that British chances are great in the traditional disciplines but from what I understand we've got some pretty decent freestyle/snowboarding competitors. I'm just planning to enjoy watching it though :)

steveaki13
22nd January 2014, 20:47
I always enjoy the winter Olympics.

I watch some Skiing, Luge, Bobsleigh and Ice Hockey on TV most winters on and off.

I look forward to those and some snowboarding when the race down the short course. Don't know what its called.

journeyman racer
24th January 2014, 07:28
Ahh, the Winter Olympics. Where every 4 years. I renew my interest in Julia Mancuso.

COD
24th January 2014, 22:37
Also interesting competitors. Violin player Vanessa Mae will represent Thailand on downhill sking and former sprinter Lolo Jones will be on US bobsleigh team! Athletes worth to follow, google their pictures!

journeyman racer
26th January 2014, 05:48
Does Lolo Jones competing in the Winter Olympics mean she's stopped with the Hurdles?

COD
3rd February 2014, 22:22
Does Lolo Jones competing in the Winter Olympics mean she's stopped with the Hurdles?

I read somewhere that she plans to continue hurdles as well at least until Rio olympics

airshifter
6th February 2014, 11:26
Competition and further qualifications begin today.

Shaun White has dropped out of the slopestyle snowboarding event, stating he wishes to focus on another half pipe title. A number of the top snowboarders have had injuries in the slopestyle, and are stating that the course needs some modifications.

steveaki13
6th February 2014, 12:25
Disappointed that the BBC are not showing the first coverage today. I am bored sitting around and hoped to watch the snowboarding.

Jamie Nicholls has done a great job to make the Final. A British winter Olympian to be so good is a rare event.

We have another guy in the Semi Finals too.

The BBC does start its coverage Saturday. So not long.

MrJan
6th February 2014, 12:40
BBC has had coverage online all morning and will continue to do so.

airshifter
12th February 2014, 10:34
Not a single post since the games started.... is anyone even watching the Olympics?

I've been watching a variety of stuff. Even though I don't normally follow a lot of these sports the level of fitness and skill amazes me every Olympics. They just keep upping the game more and more.

pino
12th February 2014, 10:45
I used to watch it a lot years ago when Italy had a great squad in most discipline, especially in Alpine and Cross-Country, sadly not anymore... ;(

BleAivano
12th February 2014, 10:51
Not a single post since the games started.... is anyone even watching the Olympics?

I've been watching a variety of stuff. Even though I don't normally follow a lot of these sports the level of fitness and skill amazes me every Olympics. They just keep upping the game more and more.

Not really. Previously SVT which is the Swedish equivalent of BBC had the rights but
the rights for this years games and the next summer Olympics was bought by
Viasat so most of the events are locked to their web subscription service which is almost
€32 for one month. Definitely not worth it.

steveaki13
12th February 2014, 14:47

I have been watching most days all day with my broken foot.

I have been naughty though and been posting about it on another Forum. :devil:
Where 20 people are posting regularly all day.

Sadly here If I posted much it would be a long time before an answer and sometimes you want quick debate.

steveaki13
12th February 2014, 14:50
Double post, but anyway if anyone else is watching through the day post something and I will keep an eye on the thread.

steveaki13
12th February 2014, 14:50
I have enjoyed it so far.

I really enjoyed the Short Track Skating. Carnage.

The Slopestyle snowboarding was exciting too, with a British Girl actually winning a medal.

I have watched Ice Hockey. Including Finlands OT win over Switzerland 4-3 earlier and the Canadians 3-2 win over USA.

I watched the Downhill this morning.

I also love Curling bizarrely. :p

Luge scares me silly.

steveaki13
12th February 2014, 14:56
I have to say I cant watch Ski Jumping. As brave as it is, I just get bored of it.

On the other side, one of my favourite events is the Ski/Board cross events next week. Very exciting

gadjo_dilo
12th February 2014, 20:31

Whaaaat? You're cheating on us????!!??! :angryfire

Now that this thread remembered me about WO I watched a bit of pair figure skating. Quite boring.

steveaki13
12th February 2014, 20:34

Whaaaat? You're cheating on us????!!??! :angryfire

Now that this thread remembered me about WO I watched a bit of pair figure skating. Quite boring.

Sorry Gadjo ;( I am so ashamed.

COD
13th February 2014, 10:26
More reasons to watch

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... ty-3131967 (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/silje-norendal-tatiana-borodulina-plenty-3131967)

airshifter
13th February 2014, 18:18
More reasons to watch

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... ty-3131967 (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/silje-norendal-tatiana-borodulina-plenty-3131967)

I don't know if it's as true of the male athletes, but there are a lot of really good looking female athletes this year. I thought maybe I was getting old and too many younger women seemed attractive, but even my 14 year old daughter mentioned how good looking Silje Norendal is. :D

The video clip of Olga Graf is funny as well. For those that don't know she is a Russian speed skater, and after her event did just as many speed skaters do and unzipped some to get some cool air. She simply forgot she wasn't wearing anything underneath and almost put on a peep show of sorts. But the reaction is funny. :laugh:

steveaki13
14th February 2014, 08:29
Just watching Latvia v Czech Rep in the Ice Hockey and Latvia scored but the puc hit the camera and bounced out. No Latvian celebrated and played went on for about a minute. Then someone called a review and after a 5 minute delay they awarded the goal.

Meanwhile a Czech had been sent to sin bin for tripping, but even when the goal had been awarded the umpires left the player in the sin bin, despite the play after the goal being basically dead.

Czech Rep angry. Wow bizarre happenings.

steveaki13
14th February 2014, 10:26
I also have to say I love the Luge Relay.

Really exciting to see if all 3 sections can come together, although it was never anything other than a German Gold. Best mans Luger, Best Double's Luge team and one of the best women's Luger.

Russia v USA tomorrow in the hockey should be a cracker. Get ready for some noise.

Later on GB have our one realistic chance of a Gold Medal in the Skeleton. Good Luck Liz.

Tazio
14th February 2014, 14:40
I've been wathing a little. The US is doing well in non traditional events. Julia Lipnitskaia Rollerblade's skate that counted for the new team competition was awesome. :cat: :angel:

MrJan
14th February 2014, 17:42
I don't know if it's as true of the male athletes, but there are a lot of really good looking female athletes this year. I thought maybe I was getting old and too many younger women seemed attractive, but even my 14 year old daughter mentioned how good looking Silje Norendal is. :D

Silje Norendal :kiss: She's my new favourite :D

Another sliding gold for GB, obviously doing something right. I much prefer some of the more modern events though, the slopestyle (both types) are amazing and really looking forward to the ski and board cross. Plus I always enjoy the hockey, as my brother lives there I'm adopting Canada as my team in the absence of Britain qualifying...but as a Maple Leafs fan I wouldn't mind seeing Phil Kessel and JVR carry on their hot streak.

steveaki13
14th February 2014, 18:13
Snowboard and Ski Cross are brilliant and I believe both have 6 competitors in each race rather than 4.

BleAivano
14th February 2014, 19:06
Personally I dislike all sports in which the winner is solely decided by how pretty the judges though the performance was and
I would prefer that such sports were not a part of the Olympic games.

After all the Olympic Motto is Citius, Altius, Fortius ( "Faster, Higher, Stronger") basically things that can be measured.
If an ice hockey team scores 3 goals and the opposing team scored 2 goals it's indisputable that the first team have won.

The same goes for cross country skiing or alpine skiing if a skier is 5 hundreds of a second faster then any of
the other participants it's indisputable that the mentioned skier is the winner.

With the "Judged" sports there is not possible to measure anything which means that its quite
disputable that if winner actually made the best performance.

MrJan
14th February 2014, 19:21
Personally I dislike all sports in which the winner is solely decided by how pretty the judges though the performance was and

After all the Olympic Motto is Citius, Altius, Fortius ( "Faster, Higher, Stronger") basically things that can be measured.
If an ice hockey team scores 3 goals and the opposing team scored 2 goals it's indisputable that the first team have won.

The same goes for cross country skiing or alpine skiing if a skier is 5 hundreds of a second faster then any of
the other participants it's indisputable that the mentioned skier is the winner.

With the "Judged" sports there is not possible to measure anything which means that its quite

All sports are disputable, even if it's to a different extent. The Japanese women's hockey team can tell you that.

Out of interest where do you stand on sports where it is generally accepted that it's budget which matters?

BleAivano
14th February 2014, 22:30
What have budget to do with judging?

Sure most sports can occasionally have questionable judge/referee calls but usually these does not affect the winner in the end.
Finland defeated Norway with 6-1 today there is no way this can be disputed since Finland scoredbut how do you decide if snowboarder X's
tricks were prettier then the ones made by snowboarder Y?

In the men's slopestyle:

Sebastien Toutant finished 3rd, in his second run he scored 87.25p
Jamie Nicholls finished 4th, he scored 86.75p which is a 0,50p difference.
How do you measure the prettiness/awesomeness and etc. so that you without a doubt can say that Toutant's 2nd run was worth 0,50p extra?
As I said before in i.ex. slalom events fastest time wins no matter how pretty or ugly the skiers run was it is still the fastest time.

If you would judge ice hockey in the same way as slope style, would be like to only have shoot-outs and the referee would then
judge the penalty shots and award points depending on how pretty the penalty shots are instead of actually counting the amount
the amount of scored goals by each team.

airshifter
15th February 2014, 10:46
I can't agree about sports that involve style. To achieve such style involves more physical control, which in turn requires greater agility, strength, endurance or combinations.

I can agree that sometimes the result is subjective due to the judging systems, and as such they aren't always as fair overall. Personally I thought the Japanese half pipe snowboarder should have won. Even though he didn't pull off a trick as difficult as the winner, his run just seemed more in control and calculated overall to me.

The freestyle skiing was insane, as are most of the downhill skiing events. I also enjoy the short track skating.

It amazes me that even at such a high level of competition that in some events there still seem to be athletes who are almost completely dominant.

MrJan
15th February 2014, 11:44

Nothing. However in some sports, such as motorsport, budget can completely negate the degree of skill of each competitor. How can you complain about one sport where the result can be subjective when you enjoy another sport where equipment can be the deciding factor?

BleAivano
15th February 2014, 13:34

Nothing. However in some sports, such as motorsport, budget can completely negate the degree of skill of each competitor. How can you complain about one sport where the result can be subjective when you enjoy another sport where equipment can be the deciding factor?

There is no motorsport in the Olympics and we were discussing Olympic sports.

MrJan
15th February 2014, 15:19

Fair enough, I disagree though, if you watch the judged sports then it's usually fairly clear and the number of judges reduces the opportunity for foul play. It's not always perfect, but no sports are. E.g the 'higher, faster, stronger' sports that you like are often tainted by the use of performance enhancing drugs.

Anyway, huge shootout in the USA v RUS game. Not a classic game, the US seemed to struggle to get their offence really working, but OT was great and superb tension in the shootout.

steveaki13
15th February 2014, 15:20
What an amazing finish to the Match between Russia & USA. 2-2 after OT and then that amazing Penalty win for the US.

Watching curling now. Talk about a change of pace.

Tazio
15th February 2014, 15:29
Truly an epic match, with the U.S. having some good fortune, I got the feeling that these two teams really don't like each other, but great sportsmanship at the end. It's too bad it had to come down to a shootout, both teams played brilliantly. :champion: ;)

airshifter
15th February 2014, 16:43
Just watched the womens ski aerials... amazing stuff. Acrobats on skis if you ask me.

I may have to watch the Russia/US hockey. I'm really not much into hockey but the rivalry between these two has gone on for many years, and even my wife has seen the "Miracle on Ice" when the US defeated the USSR at Lake Placid.

COD
15th February 2014, 18:23

I agree completely. Those Sports that are decided by judges should be in some arts olympics. Not sports olympics

Tazio
16th February 2014, 09:42
equipment can be the deciding factor?

Not trying to start an argument dude, but it is worth noting that though there may not be motorsport in the Olympics it seems there are motorsport teams, and related companies (arguably) having a hand in the outcome.

Lizzy Yarnold won Great Britain’s first gold medal of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games on Friday, dominating the women’s Skeleton discipline. One of the secrets of her success was a sleigh that was designed with help from McLaren Applied Technologies.

Ferrari’s had been helping the Italian team with its bobsleigh and skeleton equipment.

BleAivano
16th February 2014, 11:54
We came, we saw, we won!!

Yesterday we won the women's 4x5km relay in xc skiing, today the men's team repeated
the performance and won another gold. :champion: :bounce:

steveaki13
16th February 2014, 13:00
Did anyone watch the Snowboard cross? Wow that is carnage. Great fun.

BleAivano
16th February 2014, 13:02
Did anyone watch the Snowboard cross? Wow that is carnage. Great fun.

I didn't but I have seen it before and it's also usually the same with ski-cross, it's like rallycross on skis.

Tazio
20th February 2014, 15:37
I guess Austria wins gold in the hardest partying discipline, although there is still time for someone to knock them ot of their enviable position. :sailor: :dork:

Eurohockey.com has some of the details.

After a 3-1 win against Norway to end group B on the 3rd spot on Sunday a group of players celebrated way too heavy. Until up to 6 am the players hung out drinking In the Austria House and a local club in Krasnaya Polyana.

Head coach Manny Viveiros, who said he didn't understand why players would do this before one of the biggest games Austrian hockey has ever had (reaching the quarterfinals would have been a huge achievement) and that there would be repurcussions. It won't be long before Austria names names of the party people.

And don't be surprised if it includes the names of Austria's three NHL players Thomas Vanek, Michael Grabner and Michael Raffl.

steveaki13
20th February 2014, 16:31
At least a silver in the mens curling.

And our girls won the bronze today.

yaaay :bounce:

Bagwan
20th February 2014, 19:32
Found a moment to switch on the tube and do the Canadian thing and watch hockey , because the girls were playing in the gold medal game .

Bummed at seeing the score at 2-0 in the third , I almost switched it off , but they scored with 4 minutes to go .
Then , of course , I had to keep watching .
At 54 seconds to go , they scored again .

Score tied , I am now waiting for the overtime .

Bagwan
20th February 2014, 20:01
Call it a Canadian game , kids .

Our girls won .
And , to think I almost turned it off .

Go Canada go .

Tazio
21st February 2014, 02:35
Call it a Canadian game , kids .

Our girls won .
And , to think I almost turned it off .

Go Canada go .
BS! fight me you Canadi(e)an son of a bitch!

:sailor:I love the US Gurlz! ;(

Tazio
21st February 2014, 04:10
Did I mention that I think ya''awl boyz are gonna get get whipped!! :burp: :rolleyes: :p :dork:

BleAivano
21st February 2014, 11:25
A German olympic apparently have been caught in Doping tests.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics- ... 34658.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/german-olympic-committee-says-one-of-its-athletes-failed-doping-test-093734658.html)
http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inh ... a7436.html (http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inhalt.olympische-winterspiele-postive-doping-probe-ein-deutscher-ski-sportler.f583f72d-1beb-4251-a53a-483bf7ba7436.html)

Acording to Tagesspiegel.de the guilty is Evi Sachenbacher.
http://www.tagesspiegel.de/sport/doping ... 17072.html (http://www.tagesspiegel.de/sport/doping-verdacht-bei-olympia-in-sotschi-biathletin-sachenbacher-stehle-angeblich-positiv-getestet/9517072.html)

journeyman racer
21st February 2014, 12:28
I'm currently watching the Sweden/Finland hockey game. It reminded me of a notion I heard on radio earlier today, about the rivalry between these two countries. It was put that of all the Nordic countries, Finland of a lesser, redneck type reputation.

Is this a true notion?

BleAivano
21st February 2014, 15:29
I'm currently watching the Sweden/Finland hockey game. It reminded me of a notion I heard on radio earlier today, about the rivalry between these two countries. It was put that of all the Nordic countries, Finland of a lesser, redneck type reputation.

Is this a true notion?

Finland = :beer: :beer: ;) :p but rednecks I don't know but I don't really.

But the rivalry when it comes to icehockey is huge and you have to have in mind that what today is Finland
was a part of Sweden for almost half a millennium before the Russians stole it from us. :angryfire ;)

In a similar way but not as huge is the rivalry between Sweden and Norway in cross-country skiing.

janneppi
21st February 2014, 18:17
Finns are drunks and Swedes are gays. That about sums it up on terms of the rivalry. ;)

I'm a bit surprised about the outcome of the game, not about Sweden winning, Sweden was the favorite but it could have ended either way.
What I'm surprised is that I don't really care that our guys lost. Usually I'm more gutted, but the whole tournament has been a bit of a meh for me. During the Russia game I wen't to pick up a package from the post office because I figured there wouldn't as many people. :D

Bagwan
23rd February 2014, 00:11
Did I mention that I think ya''awl boyz are gonna get get whipped!! :burp: :rolleyes: :p :dork:

Like I said , my Tazzy buddy , Canadian game .

My house will be watching the gold medal game at 7:00 am tomorrow .

Feel sad for your boys , though , as they didn't deserve to go down like they did today .

Bagwan
23rd February 2014, 14:20
Did I mention it yet that hockey is a Canadian game ?

steveaki13
23rd February 2014, 14:28
Congrats Bagwan and Canada. The last medal is gone.

Its been a good games overall I think.

My highlight was The Snowboard Cross and Curling Medals.

Bagwan
23rd February 2014, 16:05
Congrats Bagwan and Canada. The last medal is gone.

Its been a good games overall I think.

My highlight was The Snowboard Cross and Curling Medals.

Thanks , Steve .
I was the one who was solely responsible for all the medals for Canada in the games because I was willing them all to win .
If only I could have been stronger , we might have won them all .

My highlight , I think , was that final women's hockey game .
It was an epic comeback .

It was a good show , that , I must confess , I am glad , came off without any terror .
I was worried the games would be a target .
Clearly , other were worried , too , as the stands were often empty .

We're waiting for the closing ceremonies to a warm feeling games , and that is a great end to it all .

Tazio
23rd February 2014, 16:29
Congrats Baggy your boyz, and gurlz deserved gold. :champion:
Sorry we whupped ya''awl boyz in overall medals though. :kiss:

Bagwan
23rd February 2014, 18:29

Dude , hockey and curling are all that matters .

Sweep , and sweep .

Tazio
23rd February 2014, 22:38

:laugh:

Rollo
23rd February 2014, 23:09
If after the run run run and yell at the beginning of the four-man bob, it's really only the pilot who has the greatest input in the speed of the run... why don't various countries just get F1 drivers to do that?

I'm sure that someone like Sebastian Vettel or Jensen Button would be able to better steer those sleds than anyone else, maybe?

Tazio
23rd February 2014, 23:15

You forgot beer drinking eh! :laugh:

Bagwan
24th February 2014, 13:27

You forgot beer drinking eh! :laugh:

After the game only , as spilled beer can make for slushy ice .

jens
2nd March 2014, 21:55
Watched several events, mostly cross-country skiing and biathlon, my favourite winter disciplines. So unusual to see them competing at +10 degrees and even above, and even more impressed that the snow stayed intact! 40-y-o Ole Einar Björndalen and 41-y-o Noriaki Kasai - very inspirational sportsmen!

Nothing to speak about Estonians. Everyone is somewhere at the back of the field, and with our former olympic champions in scandals with dope usage as well, it is a bad situation for our sport here now.

But congrats to Latvians for winning 4 medals!

I don't know what else. Russia got what they wanted with some "borrowed" sportsmen.:) Norway, Canada and USA performing fine overall too. Germany struggling a bit these days, especially in skiing events they have quite a low-time now. Netherlands almost got it all in speed-skating. Their rivals have disappeared somewhere! Belarus and Poland maximized their opportunities at Sochi pretty well too.

steveaki13
2nd March 2014, 22:02
How are the Paralympics going to go, considering all that's going on in Russia now.

I am not sure they should be taking place but I don't suppose any action will be taken.

zako85
3rd March 2014, 09:20
I must say these Olympic games looked superb on TV. There was lots of exciting stuff going on: The Dutch dominance of the speed skating, the German dominance of the luge, Victor Ahn on the short track, the usual dramas in the figure skating, ski and snowboard cross, everything on the Luge/Bobsleigh track was cool. My favorite discipline is probably the new luge team relay competition. Incredible speeds and team action. The ski and snowboard cross were totally crazy.

airshifter
3rd March 2014, 10:42
Watched several events, mostly cross-country skiing and biathlon, my favourite winter disciplines. So unusual to see them competing at +10 degrees and even above, and even more impressed that the snow stayed intact! 40-y-o Ole Einar Björndalen and 41-y-o Noriaki Kasai - very inspirational sportsmen!

Nothing to speak about Estonians. Everyone is somewhere at the back of the field, and with our former olympic champions in scandals with dope usage as well, it is a bad situation for our sport here now.

But congrats to Latvians for winning 4 medals!

I don't know what else. Russia got what they wanted with some "borrowed" sportsmen.:) Norway, Canada and USA performing fine overall too. Germany struggling a bit these days, especially in skiing events they have quite a low-time now. Netherlands almost got it all in speed-skating. Their rivals have disappeared somewhere! Belarus and Poland maximized their opportunities at Sochi pretty well too.

I must say these Olympic games looked superb on TV. There was lots of exciting stuff going on: The Dutch dominance of the speed skating, the German dominance of the luge, Victor Ahn on the short track, the usual dramas in the figure skating, ski and snowboard cross, everything on the Luge/Bobsleigh track was cool. My favorite discipline is probably the new luge team relay competition. Incredible speeds and team action. The ski and snowboard cross were totally crazy.

Two excellent posts that reflect most of what I enjoyed as well. The only thing I would really add mention of it the aerials and half pipe for both skiers and snowboarders.... this ladies and gents are freaking amazing these days. It's more of acrobatics on snow.

I love watching biathlon. Being a serious shooter I see the challenge in it. I'd like to give it a try on a amateur level. I've done very little cross country skiing, but I'm sure I could still at least have fun with the event. Great to see that people in their 40s can still compete on such a level. It also seems to be a sport where psychology plays a HUGE part.

We did skip all the figure skating. It just seems the scoring has been political for years, and it took all the fun out of it. I hope the right people got the medals, as I heard there was more than a little drama involved.

The Netherlands.... wow. How they managed to be so dominant in speed skating is probably something that every coach wants to know before the next games. At that level of competition next to impossible to do, but they did it. Good on them.

Ski Cross was insane, fun to watch.

MccarthyL
3rd March 2014, 11:07
Watching snowboard cross was the best thing that happened to me this winter :)Gorgeous performance!