PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Movies & TV Specials

Firstgear
2nd December 2013, 21:47
Now that December has arrived, I thought I'd ask:
What are your favorite Christmas Movies & TV Specials?

Here's mine: Home Alone & A Charlie Brown Christmas

555-04Q2
3rd December 2013, 05:35
"Dinner For One". An absolute classic that gets me going every year when I watch it. Brings back fond childhood memories for me :)

henners88
3rd December 2013, 09:02
I'm gutted Sky Movies have bought the rights to show 'Elf' this Christmas!! That's 20 million children who won't have access to the film if of course they don't already own the DVD lol. Still a shame though as it is a popular Christmas film.

As far as Christmas day is concerned, I have never watched TV. It has always been a rule in our family that the TV doesn't go on at all and its a tradition I will keep with my wife and daughter. For me it a family day and all our entertainment comes from ourselves. We usually have at least 15 people in the house on the day so its never boring. I have never seen a Queen's speech! :)

SGWilko
3rd December 2013, 09:33
Porridge - the film! CH4 or Film4 normally roll it out each December. Only Fools (1996 vintage). Miracle on 34th Street. Santa Clause. Scrooged.

I really enjoyed - oops, I mean my kids really enjoyed, ahem - The Gruffalo The Gruffalo's Child & Room on the Broom . Kids liked Mr Stink and are looking forward to Gangsta Granny!!!

BleAivano
3rd December 2013, 10:53
I'm not really a fan of "generic" x-mas movies, however there is a Finnish movie that is pretty good
and most definitely something different then most regular x-mas movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/combined

gadjo_dilo
3rd December 2013, 12:34
Joyeux Noël, a great movie in my opinion, based on a real fact. On Christmas Eve during world War I, the Germans, French, and Scottish soldiers fraternize for just a night on the battle field and get to know the men who live on the opposite side of a brutal war, in what became a true lesson of humanity.

henners88
3rd December 2013, 12:55
Joyeux Noël, a great movie in my opinion, based on a real fact. On Christmas Eve during world War I, the Germans, French, and Scottish soldiers fraternize for just a night on the battle field and get to know the men who live on the opposite side of a brutal war, in what became a true lesson of humanity.
They then slept off their hangovers, returned to the front, and continued to slaughter each other for the remainder of the war. Never seen that film, but find the history fascinating. :)

SGWilko
3rd December 2013, 13:12

'Oh, what a lovely war' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh!_What_a_Lovely_War

gadjo_dilo
3rd December 2013, 13:29
They then slept off their hangovers, returned to the front, and continued to slaughter each other for the remainder of the war. Never seen that film, but find the history fascinating. :)
In the movie it's not like that. You should see it.

gadjo_dilo
3rd December 2013, 13:40

'Oh, what a lovely war' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh!_What_a_Lovely_War
I know about it but haven't seen it. Fair to say I'm not a fan of musicals.

Firstgear
3rd December 2013, 14:43
Some titles here that I've never heard of - I'll have to keep an eye out.
I like A Charlie Brown Christmas because (like 555 with his favorite) it brings me back to my childhood. I remember watching it as a kid. I also remember getting a Snoopy & the Red Baron book in my first school Christmas gift exchange.
As for Home Alone, it's entertaining and sweet. I also love watching my youngest almost pee himself laughing when the baddies start getting thumped by all the booby-traps.

schmenke
3rd December 2013, 15:34
Yep, A Charlie Brown Christmas is a favourite in my family, as is How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original animated one, not that more recent drivel with Jim Carrey :s ).

Also, I've been known to watch Strange Brew this time of year, although not really a Christmas theme :p: .

Firstgear
3rd December 2013, 15:51
Strange Brew - I completely forgot about that movie - I bet my boys would love it.
A non-Christmas movie I always watch during the holidays is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I don't really know why.

N. Jones
18th December 2013, 15:16
A Christmas Story and Scrooge with Alistair Sim.

BleAivano
18th December 2013, 17:58
A mandatory tradition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_All_o ... All_of_You (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_All_of_Us_to_All_of_You) :P

Mark
18th December 2013, 19:39
Morecambe and Wise are always good at Christmas.

Dave B
18th December 2013, 20:14
Life of Brian and Muppets Christmas Carol always get an airing while we're doing the decorations. Then there's A Christmassy Ted (it's Ireland's largest lingerie section, I hear), and the rather sweet Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas episode of Community.

This year the BBC have resurrected Open All Hours, which doesn't fill me with hope. The original is one of the greatest under-rated sitcoms, along with Porridge, often being overlooked in favour of Only Fools and Horses (which in fairness is brilliant) or Fawlty Towers. I just hope the new incarnation is reasonable, my hopes aren't high.

D-Type
18th December 2013, 20:25
Our family have always loved The Snowman. Although the 'kids' are now in their thirties!

And last year's sequel The Snowman and the Snowdog caught the spirit of the original.

airshifter
19th December 2013, 01:55
We usually watch Elf. The wife and daughter have a few more I can never remember... Holiday in Handcuffs is one I think. Charlie Brown if we catch it.

henners88
19th December 2013, 08:59
We watch Elf too. Had to buy the blue ray this year as it won't be shown on British terrestrial television sadly. It's usually a film constantly repeated but proved too popular. I also like Tim Burton's 'Nightmare Before Christmas'. :)

Also Blackadders Christmas Carol is a must watch lol

henners88
19th December 2013, 09:01
Our family have always loved The Snowman. Although the 'kids' are now in their thirties!

And last year's sequel The Snowman and the Snowdog caught the spirit of the original.
I'm in my thirties but still can't watch that film. In fact I saw it once as a child and think it scarred me for life! It's worse than Bambi for trauma.

Mark
19th December 2013, 12:18

I'm in my thirties but still can't watch that film. In fact I saw it once as a child and think it scarred me for life! It's worse than Bambi for trauma.

A bit like Watership Down then, supposedly for kids but unbearably sad.

Rollo
19th December 2013, 12:55
Our family have always loved The Snowman.

He nicked my Irn-Bru and let go of my hand :D

Seriously, that whole film looks like it was done in coloured pencil. I bet that that must've taken hours untold to complete. I think it has more heart and soul than a lot of current films - it's a gorgeous thing to watch.

Mark
19th December 2013, 13:17
Seriously, that whole film looks like it was done in coloured pencil. I bet that that must've taken hours untold to complete. I think it has more heart and soul than a lot of current films - it's a gorgeous thing to watch.

It was indeed. They knew how to put the hard work in then (early 80's!)

I like how the story is an allegory for the magic of childhood and how we all must let go as we grow up - Or at least that's what it says to me.

BleAivano
19th December 2013, 13:25
In Sweden, Swedish Television company SVT (Swedish Equivalent of BBC) broadcasts an advent calendar.
Its normally a Christmas related series with 24 15 minute long episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julkalendern

There is also a radio calendar (different story then the tv-series).

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sveriges_R ... ulkalender (http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sveriges_Radios_julkalender)

A number if years ago there was also a Norwegian "advent calendar" which was intended for
adults or people in the upper teens. It was called Nissene på Låven (Tomtar på lofet in Swedish / Santas on the loft*).
The title is an expression occasionally used to describe someone who is a bit weird or strange,

The series is best described as a faked (scripted with actors and actresses) reality tv-show
and intended as a parody and reality shows. Imo its very well done and very hilarious. Especially the ending.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissene_p%C3%A5_l%C3%A5ven

*Loft generally refers to an storage level above ground level in a barn where they hay usually is kept.

Rollo
19th December 2013, 22:19
Channel 7 in Sydney will be showing "Jaws" on Christmas night. I must admit, I've never seen that. It sounds like good holiday fare as "The Great Escape" is.

Mark
20th December 2013, 10:41
Anyone know any good kids programmes on UK TV over Christmas? My 2.5 year old likes a good TV programme ;)

I've already set 'The Snowman' to record.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we have a Julia Donaldson adaptation this year :(. We've still got The Gruffolo, Gruffalo's Child and Room on the Broom recorded and they get watched at least once a week! (Quickly buzzing through the trailer for the Jim'll Fix It remake which is rather disturbing).

Gregor-y
20th December 2013, 16:13
Channel 7 in Sydney will be showing "Jaws" on Christmas night. I must admit, I've never seen that. It sounds like good holiday fare as "The Great Escape" is.
Sacrilege! Jaws is the precursor to a lot of suspense/slasher movie standards.

It's not a Christmas cartoon in particular, but I've always liked this winter short from Canada:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hka6mVkszq0

Firstgear
20th December 2013, 17:45
I love that one as well. My favorite line "We were five Maurice Richards against five other Maurice Richards."

ShiftingGears
20th December 2013, 23:44
Die Hard is one of my favourites.

BleAivano
20th December 2013, 23:48
Die Hard is one of my favourites.

indeed and don't forget Ivanhoe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanhoe_%281982_film%29