PDA

View Full Version : Americans Try To Place European Countries on a Map

gadjo_dilo
1st December 2013, 21:17
http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/americans-try-to-place-european-countries-on-a-map
:stareup:

Rollo
1st December 2013, 21:50
This might be a "ha ha ha lol" thread but really, the same thin could be said for Europeans trying to label US states.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-t ... he-us-stat (http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat)

Or people trying to name the elements:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/elements

Are tests like this even fair? How many people for instance would know who Heinz Fischer is? Or for that matter Jean-Marc Ayrault?
Granted that there are people like me who can name all of the US Presidents, F1 World Champions or British Prime Ministers but the point is that it's just not relevant to peoples' lives.

gadjo_dilo
1st December 2013, 22:16
Are tests like this even fair?

Of course not but they're definitely funny. I'm not sure if I'm able to place correctly the states of former Yugoslavia despite living in the neighbourhood. In my case it's relevant for my life cos it increases my feeling of uselessness.

Gregor-y
1st December 2013, 22:24
This might be a "ha ha ha lol" thread but really, the same thin could be said for Europeans trying to label US states.
Sadly I'll bet it's not as funny as watching Americans trying to label US States.

Rollo
1st December 2013, 23:24
Heh heh.

I'm, also kind of sure that most Australians wouldn't be able to name the eight states and territories on the Australian mainland either.

D-Type
1st December 2013, 23:54
And can any of us identify African countries? :crazy:

Starter
2nd December 2013, 00:13
Sadly I'll bet it's not as funny as watching Americans trying to label US States.
What are states? :p

Starter
2nd December 2013, 00:14
I can. South Africa, because it's at the bottom.

Tazio
2nd December 2013, 02:47
With them changing their territorial boundaries and names so often (measurable with a wristwatch) why would we even want to bother with those designations? ;)

555-04Q2
2nd December 2013, 04:50

This is a conversation I had with an American from Florida when I was in Dubai a few years back:

Yank: "Hey there. Noticed your accent. You from Australia?"

Me: "No boet, I'm from sunny South Africa."

Yank: "Oh ok." <blank stare for a few moments> "Where's South Africa?" <he asks with a serious face>

Me: "Erm, at the bottom, you know, southern part of Africa."

Yank: <another blank stare for a few seconds> "Oh yeah, yeah, ok. I think I got it."

Me: Turned and walked away before I burst out laughing in his face. Idiot.

donKey jote
2nd December 2013, 06:01
About 30 years ago in Texas:
Texan: "where do you come from?"
Me: "Madrid, Spain"
Texan: "is that in Mexico?" :arrows:

Since then I always answer "Europe" :p

555-04Q2
2nd December 2013, 07:12
I remember when I was in school a friend of mine's grandmother who lived in Toronto was flying to South Africa for the first time. This was in mid 1993. She had a connecting flight landing in Johannesburg then a 1 hour local flight down to Durban. When the pilot said ladies and gentleman we are starting our final approach to JHB International Airport she looked out the window and saw concrete jungle everywhere. She told Donovan and his family, and I quote, "I thought I was going to see a small air strip with bush around it and lions roaming around."

Really, how doff can one be?! I nearly fell over!

steveaki13
2nd December 2013, 08:25
[quote="Rollo"]This might be a "ha ha ha lol" thread but really, the same thin could be said for Europeans trying to label US states.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-t ... he-us-stat (http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat)

[quote]

Surely the same would be trying to name Country's in North, Central & Caribbean America?

States of the US are just like trying to name the states of Germany or County's of the UK. Why do people equate the USA to a continent?

I can name all countries in Europe on a map. I can name almost all countries in the "Americas" on a Map and Asia, Africa and Oceania, however I have no clue on states of the US because that's internal geography of a Country.

Its a different type of geography.

A FONDO
2nd December 2013, 09:18
no, because they are meaningless, unlike the countries on the old continent.

once I tried to label the american states in an online flash app. bullseye on 1/3 of them and quite close on another 1/3.

Rollo
2nd December 2013, 11:17

Some of us should be able to identify a whole bunch of African countries on the west coast because that's where the Dakar used to run. Across the north of the continent was where various battles in WW2 were held; the horn of Africa is 'interesting' because of political instability and famines and what not...
which leaves those countries like Benin, Ghana, Togo etc. and I've got no idea about those.

gadjo_dilo
2nd December 2013, 12:06
which leaves those countries like Benin, Ghana, Togo etc. and I've got no idea about those.
Fortunately some of us know the rest because they spent a part of their life under a dictatorship where the leader was best friends with the leaders of those countries and they kept visiting each other. :laugh:
Then we had a lot of students from these countries who benefited of scholarships.

steveaki13
2nd December 2013, 13:11
I am proud to say I can name most (most) countries on a blank map in the world and all there flags. Give or take a few of the Red Yellow Green African Flags and Black, White and Red Arabic flags.

Anyway I can do all this. However would be rubbish at naming US states.

I do international geography rather than internal geography.

Starter
2nd December 2013, 13:47
States of the US are just like trying to name the states of Germany or County's of the UK. Why do people equate the USA to a continent?
Because the US is a significant part of a continent and much of Europe would easily fit inside it? Europe at 10,180,000 sq km with the continental US at 7,663,941. Throw in Alaska and Hawaii and you get 9,410,108.

I can name all countries in Europe on a map. I can name almost all countries in the "Americas" on a Map and Asia, Africa and Oceania, however I have no clue on states of the US because that's internal geography of a Country.
You would be one of the few who can.

gadjo_dilo
2nd December 2013, 13:55
Because the US is a significant part of a continent and much of Europe would easily fit inside it? Europe at 10,180,000 sq km with the continental US at 7,663,941. Throw in Alaska and Hawaii and you get 9,410,108.

I was told that size doesn't always matter..... :confused:

555-04Q2
2nd December 2013, 14:42

I was told that size doesn't always matter..... :confused:

Whoever told you that.............................................. .....................lied! :p: ;)

Tazio
2nd December 2013, 14:43

Surely the same would be trying to name Country's in North, Central & Caribbean America?

You don't know a lot about the States Steve. Alaska is like a different country than Oklahoma. Maine and Louisiana have very little in common. West Virginia is a different world than Hawaii, and how many counties in GB is there the size of California?
You make some valid points about geography in general, but States are very meaningful in this country, and this thread started out about how many Americans can't tell which states are which, and that is a shame.

States of the US are just like trying to name the states of Germany or County's of the UKThere are well less than 100 counties in the UK, the US has roughly 3,150.

FYI San Diego County is 4/5 the size of Northern Ireland

It certainly is a different type of geography ;)

Firstgear
2nd December 2013, 15:25
The boundaries and names of the US states have been stable/the same for longer than those of most European countries, so should be easier to name. :D
You crazy militant Europeans. Always fighting over land and changing locations of borders and names of countries, or splitting countries up. If only you could be as peaceful and content as my American neighbors, the world would be a much better place. :p

nigelred5
2nd December 2013, 16:54
I'm good with the states, but all those pesky commonwealths make me scratch my head :confused: ;)

steveaki13
2nd December 2013, 18:15
It doesn't matter the size of the place. The USA is still only a country like any other.

steveaki13
2nd December 2013, 18:21

You don't know a lot about the States Steve. Alaska is like a different country than Oklahoma. Maine and Louisiana have very little in common. West Virginia is a different world than Hawaii, and how many counties in GB is there the size of California?
You make some valid points about geography in general, but States are very meaningful in this country, and this thread started out about how many Americans can't tell which states are which, and that is a shame.

States of the US are just like trying to name the states of Germany or County's of the UKThere are well less than 100 counties in the UK, the US has roughly 3,150.

FYI San Diego County is 4/5 the size of Northern Ireland

It certainly is a different type of geography ;)

Doc, I already admitted I don't know anything about states or regions in the US. :rolleyes:

I thought the topic was Americans not knowing country's in Europe. In reverse how many Europeans could name the country's in North, Central, Caribbean and South America which is about the same amount of names.

I didn't think we were talking about internal geography.

Tazio
2nd December 2013, 20:21
:stareup: Sorry Steve my misunderstanding! :dork:

Rollo
2nd December 2013, 22:10

South America is easy because CONMEBOL only has 10 nations; CONCACAF has 41 members though. Mind you, there are 16 countries in the West Indies Cricket Board; so that helps.

Okay, I'm sad. I only know a lot of geography because sport happens there.

steveaki13
2nd December 2013, 22:28

South America is easy because CONMEBOL only has 10 nations; CONCACAF has 41 members though. Mind you, there are 16 countries in the West Indies Cricket Board; so that helps.

Sports help in that.

My love of World Football helped me learn.
:)

Rollo
2nd December 2013, 23:59
It's also relatively easy to find Iceland on a map too. All you need to do is look for a trail of charred mess and destruction wrought by Kerry Katona:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagenes/news-in-pics/2009/08/18/katona.jpg

Fun fact: Eyjafjallajökull was what Kerry Katona actually said when she left a pack of Chicken Kievs in the oven for too long. That trail of smoke in 2010... yeah, that's why mums go to Iceland.

N. Jones
18th December 2013, 15:19
[quote="D-Type":1hzprw7f]And can any of us identify African countries? :crazy:

This is a conversation I had with an American from Florida when I was in Dubai a few years back:

Yank: "Oh ok." <blank stare for a few moments> "Where's South Africa?" <he asks with a serious face>

Yank: <another blank stare for a few seconds> "Oh yeah, yeah, ok. I think I got it."

Me: Turned and walked away before I burst out laughing in his face. Idiot.[/quote:1hzprw7f]
As an American, thank god I am not this dumb.

gadjo_dilo
18th December 2013, 15:36
I can imagine my face if an american would say "I'm from North, South Carolina".......

Gregor-y
18th December 2013, 17:46
How about 'northern lower Michigan?'

As someone stated there's a big difference between states, and the further south you go you start running into county loyalties as well. I was at a rally in Tennessee with some local rescue workers complaining about saving 'idiots that float down from Hickman County.' That said one of them had been tanker in the Army and lived a number of years in Germany.

Starter
18th December 2013, 19:01
How about 'northern lower Michigan?'
Which is actually a good description of parts of Michigan. If you're from Traverse City, Alpena or Mackinaw City I'm not sure how else you'd describe it.

Gregor-y
18th December 2013, 21:37
That's how I try to explain where the Sno*Drift rally is located, near Atlanta, MI.

Spafranco
20th December 2013, 16:28
[quote="D-Type":1mebznv0]And can any of us identify African countries? :crazy:

Me: Turned and walked away before I burst out laughing in his face. Idiot.[/quote:1mebznv0]

So you chose one American to bash the whole country. Amusing to see this as South Africa, the country ranks way down in knowledge of Math, Sciences and Reading.

I find it difficult to believe what you are telling us. It's one thing talking about Southern Africa. Another to locate and know about South Africa. Like NI and ROI.
I wonder what you would do in the Bayou to get yourself out? Would you be in Louisiana, Florida, Arkansas? Where. Maybe in Biafra, Zaire,Tanganyika and Zanzibar,Abyssinia. How many variations of Congo are there and how many of your citizens of South Africa could place and name without using Google where in the continent they are or even what they were formally known as.
We found how to get to the moon. Did you? Oh yes, you hosted the World Cup, but, we did that before you in '94. :D

Roamy
21st December 2013, 15:18
Don't expect much from a country who elected Obama.

BDunnell
22nd December 2013, 21:13

Or, for that matter, one that contains you.

Merry Christmas.

Spafranco
23rd December 2013, 15:32

It was a great help for me too. A cousin in Bristol sent magazines on soccer I think they were called Shoot and Goal. They had articles on the UEFA cup which I believe was the 'Fairs cup" and others. Then the World cup.

Jag_Warrior
24th December 2013, 16:32
I would just draw a big circle around most of Europe and write "former Roman Empire" at the top. :laugh:

Gregor-y
24th December 2013, 22:56
I would just draw a big circle around most of Europe and write "former Roman Empire" at the top. :laugh:
Or "Germany."

(I'll just let myself out...)

janvanvurpa
25th December 2013, 02:56
[quote="Jag_Warrior":1w9b2bhq]I would just draw a big circle around most of Europe and write "former Roman Empire" at the top. :laugh:
Or "Germany."

(I'll just let myself out...)[/quote:1w9b2bhq]

How about "Former Frankish Empire"?/

Well that wasn't quite as big...

Well remember whatever you do, don't mention the war!

Roamy
8th January 2014, 16:37

Or, for that matter, one that contains you.

Merry Christmas.

FYF

Spafranco
10th January 2014, 22:24
Any Europeans without looking up any of the search engines know what the small state in the world is?

D-Type
10th January 2014, 22:41
Vatican City
(assuming you mean the smallest state)

Smallest state in the USA: Rhode Island?

Starter
11th January 2014, 01:11
Correct.

donKey jote
18th January 2014, 10:56
Two cases:
-The person in a Texas Taxback place in San Antonio asked me what state Frankfurt was in... OK (not sure whether I said "Frankfurt, Germany" or not). But she then also asked what state Charlotte,NC was in !
-The person checking the passports prior to boarding in CLT seemed not to know that Ireland was in the EU and that I don't need proof that I live in Germany to board a plane to Frankfurt.
Both were perfectly understandable... If they were new in their jobs :dozey:
:sailor:

Spafranco
18th January 2014, 14:29
Vatican City

Incorrect with respect to the State.

Spafranco
18th January 2014, 14:30
Correct.

Incorrect for agreeing with D-Type :D

Spafranco
18th January 2014, 14:34
Two cases:
-The person in a Texas Taxback place in San Antonio asked me what state Frankfurt was in... OK (not sure whether I said "Frankfurt, Germany" or not). But she then also asked what state Charlotte,NC was in !
-The person checking the passports prior to boarding in CLT seemed not to know that Ireland was in the EU and that I don't need proof that I live in Germany to board a plane to Frankfurt.
Both were perfectly understandable... If they were new in their jobs :dozey:
:sailor:

Donkey, take a look at Illinois. They have a Marseilles, Ontario, Frankfurt, Des Plaines and many others. The pronunciation is quite funny.

D-Type
18th January 2014, 14:54
Vatican City

Which one?

The Vatican City is normally listed as the smallest country in the world - if that is what you meant by "the small state in the world". It is officially named the "Vatican City State" and with an area of approximately 44 hectares and a population of around 840 it is the smallest internationally recognized independent state in the world by both area and population.

Rhode Island has the smallest area of any of the 50 US states so it is normally listed as the smallest state in the USA - if that is what you meant by "the small state in the world" even though there is a world outside the USA. (Washington DC and various US-owned island territories are not states)
If you measure the size of a state by its population then Wyoming has the smallest population of the 50 US states.

However, if you meant the smallest "state in any country in the world" the answer may well be different and will depend how you equate an American State with what other countrises call provinces, counties, urbanisations, boroughs or other administrative terms.

Starter
18th January 2014, 15:23
I think that generally speaking, when talking about the smallest or largest geographic designation (state, country, etc.) area is what is meant. If there is some other measurement in mind then that is usually specified.

donKey jote
15th February 2014, 20:53
http://phys.org/news/2014-02-americans- ... s-sun.html (http://phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaware-earth-circles-sun.html)

:devil: :sailor: :andrea:

steveaki13
15th February 2014, 21:02
http://phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaware-earth-circles-sun.html

Watch out saying stuff like this. :uhoh:

Taz will be on his way to your house as we speak. :fasttalk: :smash: :cheese:

Tazio
15th February 2014, 23:03
http://phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaware-earth-circles-sun.html

It's my understanding that the inhabitants of the Earth orbit around Uranus... er... I mean your missus'.
Well, that's what Billy told me! :bandit: http://i46.tinypic.com/hv9ul3.gif :angel:

D-Type
16th February 2014, 12:22
Not all the inhabitants - just the flies! :D

steveaki13
16th February 2014, 12:39
Not all the inhabitants - just the flies! :D

:laugh:

schmenke
19th February 2014, 17:36
...and the Klingons.

Spafranco
24th February 2014, 16:24
[quote="D-Type":1sfxl594]Vatican City

Which one?

The Vatican City is normally listed as the smallest country in the world - if that is what you meant by "the small state in the world". It is officially named the "Vatican City State" and with an area of approximately 44 hectares and a population of around 840 it is the smallest internationally recognized independent state in the world by both area and population.

Rhode Island has the smallest area of any of the 50 US states so it is normally listed as the smallest state in the USA - if that is what you meant by "the small state in the world" even though there is a world outside the USA. (Washington DC and various US-owned island territories are not states)
If you measure the size of a state by its population then Wyoming has the smallest population of the 50 US states.

However, if you meant the smallest "state in any country in the world" the answer may well be different and will depend how you equate an American State with what other countrises call provinces, counties, urbanisations, boroughs or other administrative terms.[/quote:1sfxl594]

The smallest state among the nations of the world is the sovereign territory of the Knights of Malta. In fact, they have their own passports, own legal system,drivers license and other laws and regulations as countries have.

A.F.F.
9th March 2014, 22:24
Back in the 80´s I could name all the European countries from a blank map. Today, not a change. Europe has changed so much from those days.