PDA

View Full Version : 2013 US Grand Prix

AndyL
15th November 2013, 18:18
Sounds like FP1 was pretty crazy! the start was delayed because fog was preventing the medical helicopter from flying. Then 15 minutes after it eventually got going, the red flag came out because apparently they had lost the helicopter again or something. They only got in a little over 45 minutes of running before the deadline for completion of the session at 11:00, and at the end of the session we have Button, Bottas and Gutierrez in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and Vettel down in 18th. :crazy:

TheFamousEccles
16th November 2013, 00:05
Normal transmission has now been resumed...

zako85
16th November 2013, 06:36
Heiki 5th in Friday practice. Not bad.

N4D13
16th November 2013, 19:04
Why is everyone running so slow, at least for the few first laps of qualifying? It's weird to see Pic and Chilton in first place. Do tyres take this long to warm up?

Doc Austin
16th November 2013, 21:14
Hulkenberg again shows why he is the most underrated man in F1. It's inconceivable that he still doesn't have a deal.

Kovalainen also proving to be worth a top drive. I hope he gets a drive for next year, but he deserves better than Caterham.

Grosjean has really stepped up to lead the Lotus team, which is a good sign for next year.

Maldonado looks like he can't wait to move on, while Bottas seizes the opportunity to put Williams in the top 10.

Pretty screwed qualifying result, if you ask me, but all the surprises are good ones.

tjoepie
16th November 2013, 22:48
I was at a music quiz and so missed the qualifying, but Perez 7, Button 13. I wonder which team sacked a promising young driver and retained a has-been... (Watch Button have a storming race just to spite me).

steveaki13
16th November 2013, 22:56
Quiet day.

Good pace once more by Red Bull and Seb pulled out a stunning final sector.

Grosjean and Hulkenberg did great jobs.

Bottas was brilliant all day and despite only getting 9th he done a good job.

And Maldonado blaming Williams for screwing his car.

Looking forward to the race tomorrow.

steveaki13
16th November 2013, 22:58
I was at a music quiz and so missed the qualifying, but Perez 7, Button 13. I wonder which team sacked a promising young driver and retained a has-been... (Watch Button have a storming race just to spite me).

Hope he can have a great race. I know a lot don't rate him or seem angry towards Jenson, but I like him. :)

easy rider
16th November 2013, 23:39
Maldonado looks like he can't wait to move on, while Bottas seizes the opportunity to put Williams in the top 10.

In an interview today, Maldonado inferring that someone at Williams had tampered with his tires, clearly showing what a piece of s**t that he really is.

easy rider
17th November 2013, 00:13
I truly don't understand why NBCSports during Q3, while cars are on the track, have to break in with interviews conducted by Will Buxton, first with Sutil, and later on in the session with Massa....why...why...why? Missing on track action, and breaking the buildup of tension during Q3, in order to conduct interviews with 2 drivers who didn't even get out of Q1, was just un****ing unbelievable......The session is only 10 minutes long.

Those of you who get Sky F1 from my perspective, consider yourself Lucky.

jarrambide
17th November 2013, 00:25
When they had the interviews, I changed to Univision Deportes. I will also change channels during tv ads during the race, Univision has less ads.

Doc Austin
17th November 2013, 00:36
In an interview today, Maldonado inferring that someone at Williams had tampered with his tires, clearly showing what a piece of s**t that he really is.

Wow. Way to throw the team under the bus! He can't possibly think that will improve his prospects for next year.

easy rider
17th November 2013, 00:40
When they had the interviews, I changed to Univision Deportes. I will also change channels during tv ads during the race, Univision has less ads.

Thanks.....I'll keep that in mind for Brazil.

easy rider
17th November 2013, 00:46
[quote="easy rider":y36gcbg5]

Wow. Way to throw the team under the bus! He can't possibly think that will improve his prospects for next year.[/quote:y36gcbg5]

Unforunately, those Venezuelan petrol dollars will enable that dumbass to still be on the grid next season.

Tazio
17th November 2013, 01:23
I'm just hoping Filipe can out qualify him again at the last 2 races and beat him over the season...
Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry :angel:

Doc Austin
17th November 2013, 01:36
Unforunately, those Venezuelan petrol dollars will enable that dumbass to still be on the grid next season.

Please just keep him out of Indycars.

Here's something to consider: What if Maldonado gets the Lotus seat on the strength of those dollars, and Hulkenberg (who sits fourth on tomorrow's grid with a Sauber) is on the outside looking in?

Koz
17th November 2013, 01:44
The fact that Hulk didn't want to do an early switch and finish off the year with Lotus... Maybe, just maybe, they'll see that as a Hulk bunny penetrating them... I wouldn't put it past them.

jarrambide
17th November 2013, 03:30

I was waiting for Whitmarsh to declare that Button had a superb quali and that the whole team was sad for him because he couldn't do better than p13 and he had the penalty, and that Perez' p7 was a total disappointment. :laugh:

That was pretty much what he said at the end of last race.

henners88
17th November 2013, 10:18
I was expecting to watch this race this evening but the highlights are scheduled for 22.25!! Far too late and this will be a race I watch later in the week as I'll be long in bed by that time. Sort of ruins the hype for the US GP for the vast majority of British fans even if the season is effectively over. It's a race I enjoyed last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

dj_bytedisaster
17th November 2013, 12:38
LOL, in a McLaren Merchandising booth they apparently sold Mexico flags with marihuana leaves printed on it :laugh: :laugh:

Koz
17th November 2013, 12:46
I was expecting to watch this race this evening but the highlights are scheduled for 22.25!! Far too late and this will be a race I watch later in the week as I'll be long in bed by that time. Sort of ruins the hype for the US GP for the vast majority of British fans even if the season is effectively over. It's a race I enjoyed last year.

22:25 is too late??
Why miss the race in the first place?

henners88
17th November 2013, 12:51

It's late for me on a Sunday night as I get up at 5:45 in the week for a long drive to work each morning. I miss the race in the first place because it's not shown before 22:25 at night here. If the BBC showed it live I'd watch this one live, but in the UK that's the way it is.

Tazio
17th November 2013, 12:57
LOL, in a McLaren Merchandising booth they apparently sold Mexico flags with marihuana leaves printed on it :laugh: :laugh:
I really don't understand the big hubbub that was made about this. McLaren specified that it was a third party that was selling them. Marijuana logos are very popular in the states, not the least of which by Mexican-Americans. It is only a matter of time before it is completely decriminalized.
Another case of PC ruining a cool novelty IMO.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 9qKlrxaiqK (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6fGWrj2goZxrAiOFpGfx2bUWzzYtpT cWfuyhzBB9qKlrxaiqK)
https://www.theweedblog.com/wp-content/ ... naleaf.jpg (https://www.theweedblog.com/wp-content/uploads//germanflagmarijuanaleaf.jpg)
http://assets.hightimes.com/styles/larg ... a-leaf.jpg (http://assets.hightimes.com/styles/large/s3/uk-flag-marijuana-leaf.jpg)
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... 0DqOkw.jpg (http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mFoE2ahjUB6X73lvk0DqOkw.jpg)

janneppi
17th November 2013, 14:44

It's late for me on a Sunday night as I get up at 5:45 in the week for a long drive to work each morning. I miss the race in the first place because it's not shown before 22:25 at night here. If the BBC showed it live I'd watch this one live, but in the UK that's the way it is.

Or you could do like the rest of the non paying world and watch a web streaming of the race. ;)
There was a pretty good stream during quali, apparently. :D

Wasted Talent
17th November 2013, 15:11

I was waiting for Whitmarsh to declare that Button had a superb quali and that the whole team was sad for him because he couldn't do better than p13 and he had the penalty, and that Perez' p7 was a total disappointment. :laugh:

Whitmarsh was in favour of keeping Perez, that's why he is trying to help him get a drive at Lotus or Force India.

jens
17th November 2013, 15:21
I can't help but admire Nico Hülkenberg. Fourth on the grid again. I am also impressed with Sauber. It looked like they could close doors mid-season, but for the second year in a row they have managed to develop a really fast car, even if it has taken half a year this time to reach its potential. We have often seen Hülkenberg battling with the likes of Hamilton and Alonso on merit. Looks like today could be the case again.

I am also impressed with the kind of consistency Grosjean has achieved in the latter stages of the season. He always left an impression of an erratic driver, but there he is - YET again in good position to drive for a podium position.

Bottas I think underperformed in Q3, it was an unusual pressure for him - for the first time a very fast car in dry conditions. But looking forward for more from this guy in the last two races and especially next year in a hopefully improved machinery.

Good comeback by Kovalainen considering the circumstances and that he has hardly sat in the car. Must be interesting feeling for him to compete for much better results in a single race than could be possible in a Caterham for three consecutive years.

Looking forward to whether Button, Rosberg and Massa can get into points-positions. Alonso should be Grosjean's biggest contender for P3, but Hülkenberg and Hamilton may want to say something about it as well. Red Bull? Looking for 8 in a row for Seb.:) If nothing else interesting is going on at the front, he might just as well go for the records. At least something to look for.

Tazio
17th November 2013, 16:35

Or you could do like the rest of the non paying world and watch a web streaming of the race. ;)
Which brings up a something I'm curious about; I also watch streaming video along with the NBCSN TV broadcast here in the US, because I miss too much due to the ridiculous amount of commercials that they show. I think I'm going to watch this race on a Mexican language station as they show it almost uninterrupted, mute it and listen to the English audio on my usual UK streams. But back to my question, I've noticed lately I've only gotten Sky broadcasts, does this mean that the beeb is not streaming the races that they don't broadcast live on TV, as I have no idea which races the BBC broadcast on TV for ya''awl boys back in the UK?

henners88
17th November 2013, 16:54

I have done that once in the past so yes that's an option. If I get a bit if spare cash next year I might get a chipped box as although illegal, it's about a sixth of the annual cost of Sky. You also get movies with that too. I would probably only realistically consider that if the BBC dropped all live races though.

If anybody knows a decent stream for tonight, I'd appreciate a PM, thanks :)

Mia 01
17th November 2013, 18:03
So far I´m impressed with Kovalainen! Heres hope that he will score some points today.

jarrambide
17th November 2013, 18:38

Whitmarsh was in favour of keeping Perez, that's why he is trying to help him get a drive at Lotus or Force India.

I was making fun of Whitmarsh's comments after Abu Dhabi.

Perez qualified better than Button, Perez finished on P9, Button on P12.

Button had a contact with another car on lap 1, bad quali plus early contact meant his race was over before the end of lap 1.

Perez said his car had no pace during the race, just what Button said yesterday during quali. It is kind of funny that if one driver says his car mysteriously loses pace or grip, the team just says, bad luck for our driver, if the other says the same, that driver has a disappointing race.

At the end of the race Whitmarsh said that Button had a great/superb race and that the whole team was sad because he couldn't do better than 12 because of bad luck (bad quali has nothing to do with luck, you start behind, chances of a contact are greater), he then said that Perez P9 was disappointing.

After those comments I knew McLaren had made their decision before the race and Whitmarsh was trying to save face knowing they were going to announce they were releasing the driver that had finished better in the last 2 races and keeping the driver that had no points in the last 2 races. (In India Perez was P5, and Button P14).

I was just mocking those comments with yesterday's results, I was just making fun of something Whitmarsh had to do last race, praising P12, disappointed at P9.

Doc Austin
17th November 2013, 19:18

How did that get past them?

I'm pretty excited about today's race. I have this odd feeling that we are going to get a bizarre result. It would not kill me to see Heikki win the race.

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 19:51
Morning guys....
:dozey:
opps I mean evening guys. :p

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 19:52
morning gurlz :wave: :D

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 19:56
Hi Donks. (Tips his Cowboy Hat)

Tazio
17th November 2013, 19:57
Hey guys lets go racing :stareup:
Fred's been moved to the grid popsition 5, clean side!! :angel:

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 19:58
Hey guys lets go racing :stareup:
Fred's been moved to the grid popsition 5, clean side!! :angel:

Without Felipe's help too. :eek:

Tazio
17th November 2013, 19:59
:laugh:

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 20:01
earwigogogogooo :D

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 20:02
gogogro :D

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 20:04
take your time guys... :dozey:

Tazio
17th November 2013, 20:05
I guess Fred didn't get to start 5th :confused:

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:06
Damn those Armco's punishing drivers. :dozey:

Bring in a few more Run Off Areas. :kiss:

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 20:09
sheesh 5 laps to get the car shifted :dozey:

Tazio
17th November 2013, 20:10
Slash! :laugh:

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:16
Wow. I think Seb could actually win this race. Trust me I've got this feeling.

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 20:18
will he lap the whole field here, or leave it for the last race :bandit:

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:19
Brazils slightly shorter and also he wont need to save anything.

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 20:21
Massa receiving driving lessons :laugh:

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 20:22
Hulk train :dozey:

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:24
Massa receiving driving lessons :laugh:

Williams better be making a bid on Rob Smedley next. Otherwise Felipe will head the wrong way out of the pits. :laugh:

tfp
17th November 2013, 20:26
Hmmm vettel is making one of my favourite circuits on the grid deliver a boring race.... Bring on next year.

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:27
Wow. Mark last of late brakers.

Nice move. Now unleash some Red Bull pace.

jarrambide
17th November 2013, 20:27
Hulk train :dozey:
If you can't pass with DRS, then they are not really stopping you.

rjbetty
17th November 2013, 20:28
Yeehaw pardners! Ah'm followin' on radio Fahve Lahve with Jimbo Allen and Gary Anderson.

This race is a real Humdinger.

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:29
Hmmm vettel is making one of my favourite circuits on the grid deliver a boring race.... Bring on next year.

Unless he's even better next year.

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:30
Yeehaw pardners! Ah'm followin' on radio Fahve Lahve with Jimbo Allen and Gary Anderson.

Well if ya think this here race is a Humdinger Partner. Then ye sure are a rootin tootin tyre management fan. ;)

rjbetty
17th November 2013, 20:31
Damn those Armco's punishing drivers. :dozey:

Bring in a few more Run Off Areas. :kiss:

Me likes this.

rjbetty
17th November 2013, 20:33

Well if ya think this here race is a Humdinger Partner. Then ye sure are a rootin tootin tyre management fan. ;)

Boy Ah' like me some tyre managing! We don't take too kindly to this racing stuff round here. ;)

jarrambide
17th November 2013, 20:36

Boy Ah' like me some tyre managing! We don't take too kindly to this racing stuff round here. ;)

All of you better stop it, we don't really talk like that in Texas. Excuse me y'all, I need to put my boots on and feed the cows and chicken.

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:36
Kovalainen hasn't scored a point since 2009. That's a long time for a decent driver.

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:38
All of you better stop it, we don't really talk like that in Texas. Excuse me y'all, I need to put my boots on and feed the cows and chicken.

Like :laugh:

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:39
Nice move by Rosberg.

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 20:40
Alo apparently decides to stop cruising...

rjbetty
17th November 2013, 20:41
Maldonado in 20th. Who is sabotaging who? :mad:

jarrambide
17th November 2013, 20:45
Maldonado in 20th. Who is sabotaging who? :mad:
It is obvious that Williams planned the whole Sutil Maldonado incident to make Maldonado pit to change his nose.

Pesky Williams and their saboooooooooooootage (where are the Beastie Boys when you need them?)

jarrambide
17th November 2013, 20:48
Univision Deportes is showing the race without ads, I finally get to see how lucky you guys are in the UK.

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 20:48
Kovalainen has made a good jump during the pitstops.

Also Grosjean is absolutely flying. How is he so fast!!!! He's 8 seconds behind while Hammy and the others are 20-25 behind already

Tazio
17th November 2013, 21:03
Mark going to get rogro?

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 21:04
yawn.

I'd rather watch short sprint races than this :dozey:

rjbetty
17th November 2013, 21:04
Bottas and Gutierrez fight!!!

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 21:09
Bottas and Gutierrez fight!!!

Bottas time has come. :vader:

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 21:10
Last year was a race full of battling and wheel to wheel racing.

This year its a 3-4/10 race at best.

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 21:13
cruising city, bit like Nascar :p

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 21:14
Alo got the wake-up call :dozey:

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 21:16
Teams seem to suddenly tell drivers "Hey use that 5 seconds you've got in hand from tyre management" :dozey:

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 21:21
gotcha :D

Tazio
17th November 2013, 21:22
Sweet move by Fred, can he get The Boss? :eek:

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 21:24
Fred v Boss = Fun (Unless they have to manage tyres)

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 21:24
.8 per lap... not long now :D

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 21:28
Ham wakes up just enough to keep Alo out of DRS, and takes .8 back :bandit:

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 21:29
Renault engineers telling Mark to drop back for the last 20 laps.

Seems as though drivers are now just getting in the way with trying to race and all that.

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 21:39
Hulk is going to slaughter Alo :eek:

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 21:41
phew :bandit:

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 21:43
donuts :D

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 21:43
donuts :D

Yes please.

Seb sounding as though he's ready to retire. :laugh:

rjbetty
17th November 2013, 21:44
Congrats to Bottas and Grosjean!

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 21:47
Not a good Race for me.

I have to say 2013 has been my least favourite season of F1. (Except 1994 of course).

Even worse than 2002 & 2004 because of the static races even behind the leader.

rjbetty
17th November 2013, 21:59
Not a good Race for me.

I have to say 2013 has been my least favourite season of F1. (Except 1994 of course).

Even worse than 2002 & 2004 because of the static races even behind the leader.

Yeah the whole season has been very dull I have to say. I mean it's hard to find many highlights.

henners88
17th November 2013, 22:01
Thank goodness the debut race last season wasn't this dull! What a shocker.

Thanks for the links again guys, ended up being a bit of background noise but nice to watch a reliable stream. :)

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 22:29

Thanks for the links again guys, ended up being a bit of background noise but nice to watch a reliable stream. :)

Bet you wish you had waited and not watched the highlights later in the week. :rolleyes: Terrible Race

Doc Austin
17th November 2013, 22:47
Vettel is making boring, but with a bit of time we will look back on this like we now do with the Senna years. We are seeing true greatness, which doesn't always make for the best racing. You just have to appreciate it for what it is.

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 23:04
I absolutely appreciate it for what it is. Its not him I have a problem with.

Its the aero regs that stop cars battling, its the gimmicky rules that are bought in to sort the original problem

I hate the easy run off area's now, I hate the soft penalties always given out, I think the amount of data and people telling drivers how to drive is ruining the sport.

I think F1 is turning from the pinnacle of Motorsport into something which isn't a proper motorsport.

henners88
17th November 2013, 23:11

Bet you wish you had waited and not watched the highlights later in the week. :rolleyes: Terrible Race
Yeah if if have waited I probably would have read the race report and not bothered with highlights. If we are indeed witnessing true greatness at the moment, I think I could well have lost a lot of my appreciation for F1. I just don't seem to be enjoying it and 2013 has been the dullest season of the decade IMO. Hats off to Vettel though, he's having the time of his life :)

Tazio
17th November 2013, 23:13
Congrats to Zo for finishing season best of the rest! Finishing second in the WDC in that dog isn’t bad. :dork:

jens
17th November 2013, 23:20
Considering it is late in the evening/night already, I considered sleeping during the race, but didn't do it.:) Happy for Grosjean, based on the popular phrase it can be said he outperformed a superior car. Good points for Bottas and I hope Pérez can find a decent future for himself somewhere in F1. Not to mention Hülkenberg.

I think it is good to see some new guys coming up well in F1, because for quite some time F1 has become sort of stale in terms of same drivers being at the front for many years already. So it is good to see the rise of a new generation. At this rate Grosjean is rapidly closing on Heidfeld's record of "most podiums without a win"...

Oh, and at the front. Eight on the trot for Vettel. Well, despite apparent boringness at least we can see something quite unique, because you don't see so many consecutive wins every year. This is something I will remember.:)

dj_bytedisaster
17th November 2013, 23:21
The level of moaning lately starts to approach autosport.com-esque levels. The only thing that's wrong with F1 is that three major fan bases are frustrated.

1. The run-offs. The gravel traps weren't there to punish drivers, who run off the track, they were there to slow down the cars before they impact the tyre walls. Rough tarmac is better at it then gravel traps, that's why we're seeing that now and not gravel anymore.

2. Aero has stopped cars from overtaking for a long time. The late 90s and early 00s were much worse in that regard.

3. DRS and KERS are not wrong per se. The only thing that should be done would be limiting the amount of times DRS can be used. If it was limited to like 5 times per race, it would add a strategic element and would require carefull planning on behalf of the driver.

4. Pitwall personell telling the drivers how to do what and when has always been like that. We just didn't get to hear it on live TV in the past.

5. Utter domination by a single team: It's an old hat, too. Did we forget 1992 or 1993, when Williams regularly creamed the lot by over a second in qualifying?

jens
17th November 2013, 23:26
The level of moaning lately starts to approach autosport.com-esque levels. The only thing that's wrong with F1 is that three major fan bases are frustrated.

1. The run-offs. The gravel traps weren't there to punish drivers, who run off the track, they were there to slow down the cars before they impact the tyre walls. Rough tarmac is better at it then gravel traps, that's why we're seeing that now and not gravel anymore.

2. Aero has stopped cars from overtaking for a long time. The late 90s and early 00s were much worse in that regard.

3. DRS and KERS are not wrong per se. The only thing that should be done would be limiting the amount of times DRS can be used. If it was limited to like 5 times per race, it would add a strategic element and would require carefull planning on behalf of the driver.

4. Pitwall personell telling the drivers how to do what and when has always been like that. We just didn't get to hear it on live TV in the past.

5. Utter domination by a single team: It's an old hat, too. Did we forget 1992 or 1993, when Williams regularly creamed the lot by over a second in qualifying?

To be honest, I have to say that even if the races are defined as sort of boring, DRS and these Pirelli tyres have added at least something to races, which still make them... a little bit more interesting than an average boring race a decade ago. Because now drivers are less likely to get stuck behind slower cars and tyres still offer opportunities that someone may not conserve them properly, get the strategy wrong, and fall away. It was good to see Alonso catching Hülkenberg, passing him, having a shot at Hamilton, and then Hülkenberg having a realistic opportunity at Alonso again. Without DRS and Pirelli we wouldn't have such yo-yoing and a relatively eventless race would have less action than it has now.:)

I think Webber catching Grosjean was interesting as well. But it is evening and I was understandably a bit tired to get truly excited.:)

steveaki13
17th November 2013, 23:59

Its only my opinions, which I was giving. If no one agree's fair enough.

1. True enough, but that in turn required a great deal more skill (IMO) not to make mistakes and go off, so served two purposes.

2. True again, but I would still like to see more effort to get rid of these issues.

3. I cant take DRS generally, but as you say if it is available to everyone at all times. Or you get certain amount per lap or race and you can use it to attack or defend.

4. I couldn't honestly say, because I would be lying to say they have always been screaming to slow down. Whatever though it is effecting the racing more and more these days.

5. Domination doesn't bother me one bit. Its the fact I want certain things (as mentioned above) changed to make the sport better in my opinion. I know it wont be changed the way I want it to be, but its my opinion.

RS
18th November 2013, 00:03
I see Lewis is in one of his sulky moods again. I wonder if this is a legacy of going straight in at the top at McLaren, not having had to fight his way up the grid and now he expects it all the time?

Hopefully he will have a better car next year.

steveaki13
18th November 2013, 00:05
I think Lewis struggles to get his head around the racing these days. He often states he would prefer racing back in time.

RS
18th November 2013, 00:08
I think Lewis struggles to get his head around the racing these days. He often states he would prefer racing back in time.

This is a fair point. Bit sick of the tyre rules myself now, it all feels a bit contrived.

webberf1
18th November 2013, 00:17
And who could blame him. Like Martin Brundle said, all he really wants is to be able to turn up on raceday and drive the wheels off it all race long. That is simply not possible with the current tyres.

Doc Austin
18th November 2013, 01:02
Its the aero regs that stop cars battling, its the gimmicky rules that are bought in to sort the original problem

As long as the cars are going fast they will be aero dependent. There's no way around that short of racing in a vacuum.

You do have a point about the gimmicks, though. I hate the whole DRS thing because it gives an artificial advantage to the car that is behind.

I hate the easy run off area's now,
There's no penalty fro dropping a wheel off, but in the past that could get you killed. I think the balance had gone too far toward safety at all costs, but I want to stop short of saying we should make it more dangerous.

I hate the soft penalties always given out,
Didn't Vettel get a $150,000 fine for doing donuts?

I think the amount of data and people telling drivers how to drive is ruining the sport.
Leave me alone. I know what to do.

I think F1 is turning from the pinnacle of Motorsport into something which isn't a proper motorsport.
It's turning into a pure engineering exercise, but that doesn't explain how Vettel gets so much more out of the car than Webber.

Storm
18th November 2013, 05:41
I saw quallies but could not see the race..I guess it was good I did not waste any more of my sleep on another Vettel win.
Brazil is always good but 2014 can't come quickly enough.

ShiftingGears
18th November 2013, 07:41
I cut my losses and went to sleep less than halfway through the race.

zako85
18th November 2013, 08:37
This is a lame duck season, so this was to be expected. In fact, I kind of predicted what was going to happen in this season back in 2012. (http://www.motorsportforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=155776)

I am a fan of F1, so I watch all races, even with predictable outcomes, because the battles behind the leader are often good. Of course, after straight eight Vettel wins, this "watching races for the mid-pack battle" thing is slowly getting old. I liked Korea, Japan, and India. Abu Dhabi was less intense, but I must admit the 2013 USGP was also low in excitement. I love the fact that a huge crowd showed up, but all I can remember right now is Webber's weak attempt at battling with Grosjean for 2nd place. Also, Ferrari hasn't updated its cars since the Mesozoic era, so is it surprising that thanks to Alonso they can barely get out of Sauber's way? However, I am still enjoying watching the F1. We're witnessing another era of high domination of a single team and utter failure of the rest. Kind of like in the finest years of Ferrari with Schumacher. And the cars flowing in circles still look very good after I had a few pints of beer...

PS: The only other disappointment from this race is .. man, they should have let Valsecchi to race.

steveaki13
18th November 2013, 08:39
The way its going 2014 could well see Red Bull develop the best car again. What then????????????

henners88
18th November 2013, 08:48
The way its going 2014 could well see Red Bull develop the best car again. What then????????????
I think that is the major worry. We need a rethink on the regs especially tyres and DRS. We can't blame Red Bull as they are doing the best job within these plastic regulations, but it is effecting the racing IMO. Its dull and not a good reflection on the sport as a whole. I was even chatting to a Vettel fan on Friday who thinks its getting boring lol! If we hit this pattern again next season, I think I'll remain interested, but from a safer distance. I've missed two GP's this season and I can't remember the last time I did that, not even watching from a recording. I'll most probably watch the qualifying for Brazil and decide whether its worth my while. :)

easy rider
18th November 2013, 08:58
I see Lewis is in one of his sulky moods again. I wonder if this is a legacy of going straight in at the top at McLaren, not having had to fight his way up the grid and now he expects it all the time?

Lewis surely wasn't as you say, " in one of his sulky moods again," at the end of the race today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYM3cgHXOX0

zako85
18th November 2013, 09:35

In that case, I hope Daniel Ricciardo will do something to surprise us.

henners88
18th November 2013, 09:43

In that case, I hope Daniel Ricciardo will do something to surprise us.
I'd love it if that happened. Out scoring Vettel in his first season would certainly shake things up! I doubt it will happen with Vettel's internal support at Red Bull, but it would turn a few heads. A Hamilton or Rosberg WDC next season would put a smile on my face. Holds breath :)

555-04Q2
18th November 2013, 11:29
I missed the race, only the 7th one I've missed since 1989. But at least I knew what the result would be anyway and got to spend some time with my family :)

henners88
18th November 2013, 11:46
I missed the race, only the 7th one I've missed since 1989. But at least I knew what the result would be anyway and got to spend some time with my family :)
The only reason I watched it live was because it was shown at night here. I usually prefer to be out on a Sunday with the family and catch up when I get home. Had yesterday's race been on during the day European time, I wouldn't have bothered. I wouldn't bother watching the highlights either 555, you know all you need to know lol.

JasonPotato
18th November 2013, 11:53
Sounds like you didn't miss much, i too missed this race and can say i'm glad i did. All i can say if this does continue in 2014 where 1 driver just sails off after the first corner and never seen again then it's certainly lost me as a fan. When i could be watching a touring car race where one 20 minute race has more action than the entire season of F1!

Why can't they add weight to the winners, they have enough gimmicks in the sport as is so won't hurt to add another.

Big Ben
18th November 2013, 12:55
I 'watched' half of it but only because I had some work to do in the kitchen and this was something that could go on in the background. Once I was done F1's time was up. So there's this driver I really don't like in a team I don't give a **** about winning race after race and championships 4 years in a row. On top of that you add the DRS, $h1tty tires and other silly rules.... so yeah.. I've kind of lost interest in F1.

But I see the good in all this: less time spent in front of the TV.

555-04Q2
18th November 2013, 13:03
The only reason I watched it live was because it was shown at night here. I usually prefer to be out on a Sunday with the family and catch up when I get home. Had yesterday's race been on during the day European time, I wouldn't have bothered. I wouldn't bother watching the highlights either 555, you know all you need to know lol.

I may just catch the highlights later tonight ;)

555-04Q2
18th November 2013, 13:06
Why can't they add weight to the winners, they have enough gimmicks in the sport as is so won't hurt to add another.

Cr@p idea boet! Why penalise a team for doing a great job? The rest must catch a wakeup rather. Adding weight is a poor idea to penalise a team that has put in the effort and is reaping the rewards. Imagine adding weight to Usain Bolt because he keeps on winning all the time! Not fair, correct? :p: ;)

jens
18th November 2013, 13:24
I disagree that all other teams are doing a rubbish job. Lotus and Sauber are doing a very good job considering they have trouble paying bills. Also I can give the benefit of doubt to Mercedes, because they have improved this year. However, I am not sure, what are Ferrari and McLaren doing. In the past seasons they were the closest challengers of Red Bull, but now they have trouble beating midfield teams. Embarrassing really. And it is not like they are underfunded.

henners88
18th November 2013, 13:46
Its not a case of a team doing a bad job, more to do with not having the same solutions to a problem as another team. Its obvious Red Bull's pace is not just about minor tweaks, but something(s) that come from the fundamentals of the cars design. Other teams just haven't solved the issues and its been going on for 4 years now. Every team has made improvements at certain periods but Red Bull have been the most consistent. I hope next years regs put them on the back foot and someone else gets a chance to reward their talent. With fuel saving coming in, I can see Red Bull pulling a rabbit out of the hat again though unfortunately. I'm pretty sick of seeing Vettel on the top step now.

555-04Q2
18th November 2013, 14:56
I didn't see anyone say the other teams are doing a rubbish job? They just aren't doing as good a job as RBR is, period. henners has a good point in that RBR have a fundamentally good car design that is just dominant compared to the others and they tend to update and improve it consistently. And that's down to RBR employing the best designer the sport has ever seen in AN :)

We have seen many times teams bringing "upgrades" to races only for the car to go slower! The likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes have no excuse. They have the funds and the facilities, now USE them guys!

JasonPotato
18th November 2013, 16:27
They use a weight penalty system in many other categories of motorsport. It does exactly what it should in closing the field and giving the faster guys less of an advantage. Of course they can still win and the weight is reduced or taken away depending on where they finish or how high up the championship they are. Maybe instead of weight reduce the amount of kers/drs use for the faster guys and increase it for the slower guys.

I for one would like to see a race where 3-4 teams are in with a chance of winning the race, not 1 driver sailing off.

Won't bother watching the last race, will see how it goes 2014, if it's more of the same then i'd rather not watch it.

Mia 01
18th November 2013, 16:44
I don´t want F1 to be some sort of spec-series.

This is the top of motorsport, if the team and driver can´t compete in it they have to choose a different serie.

Brown, Jon Brow
18th November 2013, 16:52
Well I blame McLaren. They ended last season with a car that was a match for the Red Bull and they threw it in the skip (and replaced it with a skip).

As much as we are experiencing Red Bull/Vettel brilliance, we are also experiencing incompetence from the other top teams.

henners88
18th November 2013, 17:56
Well I blame McLaren. They ended last season with a car that was a match for the Red Bull and they threw it in the skip (and replaced it with a skip).

As much as we are experiencing Red Bull/Vettel brilliance, we are also experiencing incompetence from the other top teams.
McLaren are in a strange place right now and don't seem to be solving the issues by blaming the right people. I thought Martin Whitmarsh's comments after the race yesterday about his two drivers was very telling. He spoke very favourably about Jensons performance and the hard work he'd put in during the race but all he could say about Perez was that he could get any higher up the order than 7th so it showed how difficult an afternoon he'd had. Sergio finished three places in front of Button and out qualified him. He's been dismissed and the cold shoulder is deployed it seems. They did a similar thing with Lewis after the news of his Mercedes move broke last year and it doesn't come across too well.

555-04Q2
19th November 2013, 07:04

This is the top of motorsport, if the team and driver can´t compete in it they have to choose a different serie.

Well said Mia :)

henners88
19th November 2013, 08:15

We should just leave F1 with one team, Red Bull, drivers Vettel and Kimi. The rest could form the Grand Prix breakaway series with sensible regs and the best of both are achieved. Mia would be chuffed :D

Big Ben
19th November 2013, 09:03
Even if I don't like the current state of affairs, penalizing the best team & driver combo just because they are the best is an awful idea. I'll just wait for Newey to retire.

henners88
19th November 2013, 09:25
Even if I don't like the current state of affairs, penalizing the best team & driver combo just because they are the best is an awful idea. I'll just wait for Newey to retire.
He could be in F1 for at least another 10 years and I really hope he is, but maybe moving on to another team for a challenge. He has hinted he wants to try a different discipline altogether so we could see him designing racing yachts for Red Bull one day soon you never know ;)

Big Ben
19th November 2013, 10:04
He could be in F1 for at least another 10 years and I really hope he is, but maybe moving on to another team for a challenge. He has hinted he wants to try a different discipline altogether so we could see him designing racing yachts for Red Bull one day soon you never know ;)

I may be wrong but I think I've heard that rumor since his McLaren days and yet here he is... still

henners88
19th November 2013, 10:33

I may be wrong but I think I've heard that rumor since his McLaren days and yet here he is... still
The rumour last surfaced in 2011 just before he signed his current contract I believe. You can never say never.

Remember the rumours in 2010 that Hamilton was going to leave McLaren? He'd never do that, he grew up in that team and it would be too much of a change for him...... But it wasn't. ;)

journeyman racer
19th November 2013, 10:47
I hate to break it to you, but F1 is already some sort of spec series. It has been for quite a while.

Even if I don't like the current state of affairs, penalizing the best team & driver combo just because they are the best is an awful idea. I'll just wait for Newey to retire.It was good enough to do that to Williams. What's the big deal?

If Newey does leave because of next year's rules, It'll be pretty soft of him. He's had a charmed life in F1, the last 20 years. Rules that have focussed to his strengths as an engineer, and now he will leave when the rules focus on a different area of performance? For the supposed talent he is, and length of time he's been in F1, he hasn't done anything radical or innovative. Nothing. Even the FW 14B/15C wasn't "his" car. Soft as butter.

555-04Q2
19th November 2013, 11:07
[quote="Mia 01":10g2qcl9]I don´t want F1 to be some sort of spec-series.
I hate to break it to you, but F1 is already some sort of spec series. It has been for quite a while.

Even if I don't like the current state of affairs, penalizing the best team & driver combo just because they are the best is an awful idea. I'll just wait for Newey to retire.It was good enough to do that to Williams. What's the big deal?

If Newey does leave because of next year's rules, It'll be pretty soft of him. He's had a charmed life in F1, the last 20 years. Rules that have focussed to his strengths as an engineer, and now he will leave when the rules focus on a different area of performance? For the supposed talent he is, and length of time he's been in F1, he hasn't done anything radical or innovative. Nothing. Even the FW 14B/15C wasn't "his" car. Soft as butter.[/quote:10g2qcl9]

I beg to differ! He is an old school man who still uses a drawing board and pencil. He has been phenomenally successful in F1 and has been the catalyst behind several great cars and their dominance over the sport. You don't get lucky for 20 + years.

journeyman racer
19th November 2013, 12:37
He has been phenomenally successful in F1
I know that.

You don't get lucky for 20 + years.
I didn't say lucky. But F1 has been tailored to his strengths as an engineer (Although, I don't think this was intentional). Strengths as in, the movement towards incremental gains in aero having an increased importance in performance. The Williams from 96/97, McLaren from 98 and the recent RBs, there is nothing substantial about them that set them apart from other truly great F1 cars. The FW14B/15C had the suspension, the Lotus 79 with ground effects. The Newey cars? What? "Oh yeah, the profile of the RB front wings looks so good."

Now that F1 is going to go away from aero having such a dominant factor, he's going?

Soft.

Big Ben
19th November 2013, 13:48
what? Aero is not a dominant factor in F1? what? when? how? what year is this? :confused:

555-04Q2
19th November 2013, 15:07
[quote="555-04Q2":3nxblp0f] He has been phenomenally successful in F1
I know that.

You don't get lucky for 20 + years.
I didn't say lucky. But F1 has been tailored to his strengths as an engineer (Although, I don't think this was intentional). Strengths as in, the movement towards incremental gains in aero having an increased importance in performance. The Williams from 96/97, McLaren from 98 and the recent RBs, there is nothing substantial about them that set them apart from other truly great F1 cars. The FW14B/15C had the suspension, the Lotus 79 with ground effects. The Newey cars? What? "Oh yeah, the profile of the RB front wings looks so good."

Now that F1 is going to go away from aero having such a dominant factor, he's going?

Soft.[/quote:3nxblp0f]

I don't get where you are going? He has built superior cars to anyone else, period. He has the same set of rules and limitations as every other designer in F1 has had year in and year out. The guy is a firkin genius. What else do you want from him :confused:

555-04Q2
19th November 2013, 15:07
what? Aero is not a dominant factor in F1? what? when? how? what year is this? :confused:

My thoughts exactly.

Tazio
19th November 2013, 15:16
Seb cruising a Shelby Cobra at CotA.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9480_n.jpg (https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1466091_759542537405422_269449480_n.jpg)

And who can forget "The Boss" last year? ;)

http://i.imgur.com/AQ88Y.jpg

dj_bytedisaster
19th November 2013, 15:54
Its not a case of a team doing a bad job, more to do with not having the same solutions to a problem as another team. Its obvious Red Bull's pace is not just about minor tweaks, but something(s) that come from the fundamentals of the cars design. Other teams just haven't solved the issues and its been going on for 4 years now. Every team has made improvements at certain periods but Red Bull have been the most consistent. I hope next years regs put them on the back foot and someone else gets a chance to reward their talent. With fuel saving coming in, I can see Red Bull pulling a rabbit out of the hat again though unfortunately. I'm pretty sick of seeing Vettel on the top step now.

So what you are saying is, they should stop winning to please you? That's a rather selfish attitude isn't it? The Red Bull advantage is not something they found by chance. It's something they worked very hard for. Austin provided a very fitting picture for that. When the 'murricans had their big parade with cheerleaders doing splits on the start-finish straight. Half the Ferrari team was on the pitwall watching the spectacle and you could see Red Bull doing pitstop practice in the background. you may hope that RB will be caught out by the new regs and they probably even will be, because they didn't give up on this season over the summer break and still developed the 2013 car, but you can bet that they'll be back. I was one of the people, who thought that Vettels 'others hang their balls in the pool' comment was a tad over the top. but seeing the Red boys drooling over a bunch of cheerleaders, while the Redd Bull gang did pitstop drills knocked it home for me that Seb might have had a point, especially since the team later serviced Mark Webber in 1.925 seconds during the race.

henners88
19th November 2013, 16:00

So what you are saying is, they should stop winning to please you? That's a rather selfish attitude isn't it? The Red Bull advantage is not something they found by chance. It's something they worked very hard for. Austin provided a very fitting picture for that. When the 'murricans had their big parade with cheerleaders doing splits on the start-finish straight. Half the Ferrari team was on the pitwall watching the spectacle and you could see Red Bull doing pitstop practice in the background. you may hope that RB will be caught out by the new regs and they probably even will be, because they didn't give up on this season over the summer break and still developed the 2013 car, but you can bet that they'll be back. I was one of the people, who thought that Vettels 'others hang their balls in the pool' comment was a tad over the top. but seeing the Red boys drooling over a bunch of cheerleaders, while the Redd Bull gang did pitstop drills knocked it home for me that Seb might have had a point, especially since the team later serviced Mark Webber in 1.925 seconds during the race.
No?
That isn't what I am saying. The discussion had more input than the simplified point you're responding to. Its not like I haven't given Red Bull credit for their hard work. I really don't know how you've missed that? The very post of mine you've quoted recognises how good a job Red Bull have done.

dj_bytedisaster
19th November 2013, 16:06
They use a weight penalty system in many other categories of motorsport. It does exactly what it should in closing the field and giving the faster guys less of an advantage. Of course they can still win and the weight is reduced or taken away depending on where they finish or how high up the championship they are. Maybe instead of weight reduce the amount of kers/drs use for the faster guys and increase it for the slower guys.

I for one would like to see a race where 3-4 teams are in with a chance of winning the race, not 1 driver sailing off.

Won't bother watching the last race, will see how it goes 2014, if it's more of the same then i'd rather not watch it.

F1 isn't Waldorff school, where the brilliant kid get's dumbed down for fear of making the others feel bad about themselves. :hmph:
In 1950 Alfa-Romeo won every single race, Mercedes creamed the lot in 1955, between 1992 and 1997 Williams would have cleaned the fridge if it wasn't for a pesky German, who spoiled the party in '94 and '95´. In '98 and '99 every other team was just a guest to McLarens celebration and the less said about 2000-2004 the better. Domination happens in F1 and RB only dominated two seasons and not even consecutively - 2011 and 2013. Why should the faster cars be made slower or the shit cars artificially accelerated? F1 isn't a drivers championship. It is, always has been and always will be a contest between groups of people to see, who can make a car that is better than that of the opposition.

dj_bytedisaster
19th November 2013, 16:08
That isn't what I am saying. The discussion had more input than the simplified point you're responding to. Its not like I haven't given Red Bull credit for their hard work. I really don't know how you've missed that? The very post of mine you've quoted recognises how good a job Red Bull have done.

In that case I apologize. I suppose I've read too many comments on the BBC website where you read day in and day out that Adrian Newey won the championship and that the other - don't know - two hundred guys working their arses off just don't matter. It's driving me mad, really.

dj_bytedisaster
19th November 2013, 16:20
If Newey does leave because of next year's rules, It'll be pretty soft of him. He's had a charmed life in F1, the last 20 years. Rules that have focussed to his strengths as an engineer, and now he will leave when the rules focus on a different area of performance? For the supposed talent he is, and length of time he's been in F1, he hasn't done anything radical or innovative. Nothing. Even the FW 14B/15C wasn't "his" car. Soft as butter.

That's the biggest load of bovine excrement I've heard in a while. When Newwey started making wining cars in 1992 (technically he did before - he designed Bobby rahal's 1986 championship car), there were still many areas, where other people had to do their jobs - engine manufacturers, suspension experts, computer experts.... Newey didn't design the active suspension that made Williams unbeatable in '92 and '93. What he is though, is a brilliant aerodynamicist. Saying that he hasn't done anything radical or innovative is completely wrong. How about his exhaust blown diffuser on the 2013 Red Bull? The system was declared illegal after 2011, yet in cooperation with Renault he managed to devise a solution to mimmick it by technically legal means - if that's not innovative, what is?

steveaki13
19th November 2013, 19:16
Seb cruising a Shelby Cobra at CotA.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9480_n.jpg (https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1466091_759542537405422_269449480_n.jpg)

And who can forget "The Boss" last year? ;)

http://i.imgur.com/AQ88Y.jpg

Nice Photo. Who took that. ;) :D

Mia 01
19th November 2013, 20:58

F1 isn't Waldorff school, where the brilliant kid get's dumbed down for fear of making the others feel bad about themselves. :hmph:
In 1950 Alfa-Romeo won every single race, Mercedes creamed the lot in 1955, between 1992 and 1997 Williams would have cleaned the fridge if it wasn't for a pesky German, who spoiled the party in '94 and '95´. In '98 and '99 every other team was just a guest to McLarens celebration and the less said about 2000-2004 the better. Domination happens in F1 and RB only dominated two seasons and not even consecutively - 2011 and 2013. Why should the faster cars be made slower or the shit cars artificially accelerated? F1 isn't a drivers championship. It is, always has been and always will be a contest between groups of people to see, who can make a car that is better than that of the opposition.

Well said DJ!!

The other teams have to come up with new or better ideas than RB. For example i´m arfraid that Ferrari not are on the same level as RB next year, my fav driver Kimi will drive there next year. Penalise RBR and win fake wictories, no thanks!!

journeyman racer
20th November 2013, 13:29
what? Aero is not a dominant factor in F1? what? when? how? what year is this? :confused:I'm not getting how you've interpreted my post. Maybe my next response will help clarify?

I don't get where you are going? He has built superior cars to anyone else, period. He has the same set of rules and limitations as every other designer in F1 has had year in and year out. The guy is a firkin genius. What else do you want from him :confused:
Firstly, yes, Newey is responsible for designing a lot of fast cars (Williiams FW16, McLaren MP4/13 and recent RBs). Yes, he is extremely talented.

However, if you were to re write F1 rules, or write up a charter of some kind, you would NOT have F1 the way it currently is and has been for 20 years. With an engineering challenge that F1 is supposed to be, you would ideally create as open and diverse set of regs as possible. If you choose to enhance the strength of one particular part of the car, you will lose out on another. The regs from 89 to 93 were far more balanced than it has been since 94 and more than one factor had an outcome on overall performance. The effects of aero became more prominent during this period, but not out of hand. The FIA could've managed the effects better, but by then they were more concerned with stopping all the tech bits that made the FW14B/15C a monster.

Since 94, aero has had a disproportionate effect on the overall performance of F1 cars. Aero has a place and a role in car design, but it's not the be all end all. The FIA just hacked into the regs and it's been a downhill spiral since (imo). The balance towards aero is so out of whack, that I'm surprised that it has been accepted for so long and I wonder, particularly with younger fans, if they truly get what a knot the current rules are. It's just a band aid over a band aid over a band aid. The FIA have allowed one big mess to occur. I mean seriously, what is the point of the wings, particularly the front? If there is one, is it necessary for it to be such a complex part of the car, to be so sensitive, and having such an impact on overall performance?

Anyway, we know Newey's strength as an engineer is aero, he's probably the best aerodynamicist out there. The rules of the last 20 years have focussed on his strength as a engineer. Would he be so successful under a more balanced set of rules? I can't say he definitely would be. Threatening to leave with the possibility of a less aero dependent set of regs?

Soft.

journeyman racer
20th November 2013, 13:35
That's the biggest load of bovine excrement I've heard in a while.By bovine excrement, do you mean bulls***?

When Newwey started making wining cars in 1992 (technically he did before - he designed Bobby rahal's 1986 championship car), there were still many areas, where other people had to do their jobs - engine manufacturers, suspension experts, computer experts.... Newey didn't design the active suspension that made Williams unbeatable in '92 and '93.Yes. That is correct.

What he is though, is a brilliant aerodynamicist. Saying that he hasn't done anything radical or innovative is completely wrong. How about his exhaust blown diffuser on the 2013 Red Bull? The system was declared illegal after 2011, yet in cooperation with Renault he managed to devise a solution to mimmick it by technically legal means - if that's not innovative, what is?Yes, maybe I could've chosen my words differently. That's true. However, I'm not sure how much that'll be appreciated, or indeed if it's that big of a deal in the first place. I suspect engineers in the future, fi the were to do their F1 history, will be underwhelmed with the period of F1 regs from 1994 to 2013. A period of time that coincides with Newey's peak of his career.

555-04Q2
20th November 2013, 15:13
Anyway, we know Newey's strength as an engineer is aero, he's probably the best aerodynamicist out there. The rules of the last 20 years have focussed on his strength as a engineer. Would he be so successful under a more balanced set of rules? I can't say he definitely would be. Threatening to leave with the possibility of a less aero dependent set of regs?

Soft.

Yes, he would still be as successful as he has been. Genius always makes it way to the top of the pile regardless of the challenges or rules placed before it, and Adrian Newey is a genius. Newey is a brilliant problem solver, hence his regular success. Rory Byrne was the next best in this regard.

His intention to leave F1 could be more of a fact that he needs a new challenge and is bored after 20 odd years of the same thing?

Hard, very, very, hard.

AndyL
20th November 2013, 17:11
[quote="journeyman racer":27laz6r9]Anyway, we know Newey's strength as an engineer is aero, he's probably the best aerodynamicist out there. The rules of the last 20 years have focussed on his strength as a engineer. Would he be so successful under a more balanced set of rules? I can't say he definitely would be.

Yes, he would still be as successful as he has been. Genius always makes it way to the top of the pile regardless of the challenges or rules placed before it, and Adrian Newey is a genius. Newey is a brilliant problem solver, hence his regular success. Rory Byrne was the next best in this regard.[/quote:27laz6r9]

I don't see how you can possibly say that. For example if F1 had spec or near-spec aero rules and free engine rules, wouldn't you expect another engineer with more engine expertise to make it to the top? "Genius always makes it way to the top of the pile regardless of the challenges or rules" is like saying if Association Football didn't exist, Lionel Messi would have become the world's greatest rugby player instead. Or if Einstein had taken up chess instead of physics, he would have beaten Kasparov.

Brown, Jon Brow
20th November 2013, 20:02
I'd like to see Newey working for the FIA for his next job. He could help them to devise a set of aero regulations that don't make it difficult to follow the car in front.

Tazio
20th November 2013, 21:20
Now there is a great idea, although he might get blindsided by the politics of the job, and is probably why he would never take it. Let's hope I'm wrong.

steveaki13
20th November 2013, 21:30
I'd like to see Newey working for the FIA for his next job. He could help them to devise a set of aero regulations that don't make it difficult to follow the car in front.

That is an interesting point that I don't think anyone here has raised before. He could surely at least give some advice on aero regs which might aid cars following a bit easier.

Great Point.

555-04Q2
21st November 2013, 06:56
[quote="journeyman racer":1elrrz7u]Anyway, we know Newey's strength as an engineer is aero, he's probably the best aerodynamicist out there. The rules of the last 20 years have focussed on his strength as a engineer. Would he be so successful under a more balanced set of rules? I can't say he definitely would be.

Yes, he would still be as successful as he has been. Genius always makes it way to the top of the pile regardless of the challenges or rules placed before it, and Adrian Newey is a genius. Newey is a brilliant problem solver, hence his regular success. Rory Byrne was the next best in this regard.

I don't see how you can possibly say that. For example if F1 had spec or near-spec aero rules and free engine rules, wouldn't you expect another engineer with more engine expertise to make it to the top? "Genius always makes it way to the top of the pile regardless of the challenges or rules" is like saying if Association Football didn't exist, Lionel Messi would have become the world's greatest rugby player instead. Or if Einstein had taken up chess instead of physics, he would have beaten Kasparov.[/quote:1elrrz7u]

We're not talking about Newey changing professions here :confused: Messi playing rugby would be a change of profession hence would probably suck at it, he's a genius in the soccer world, not rugby ;)

555-04Q2
21st November 2013, 06:58

For a guy who can't spell his name, that is a fantastic idea that I think we would all love to see :)

henners88
21st November 2013, 09:31

In that case I apologize. I suppose I've read too many comments on the BBC website where you read day in and day out that Adrian Newey won the championship and that the other - don't know - two hundred guys working their arses off just don't matter. It's driving me mad, really.
Don't read the BBC comments I advise you! Far too many trolls on there that know very little about F1, but employ a football terrace mentality. I've read there sometimes but refrained from contributing as it looks like a total nightmare. Very Red Bull centric though, or it used to be. If you want a real laugh though, read the Daily Fail F1 section and the comments below each story. Just don't get drawn in and take it as the entertainment its intended 'not' to be lol .:)

journeyman racer
22nd November 2013, 15:43
I'd like to see Newey working for the FIA for his next job. He could help them to devise a set of aero regulations that don't make it difficult to follow the car in front.Quoting to acknowledge that this was a good thought. My only query is, why would he need a job to help the FIA do something as easy as remove the front wing, and make the rear as small as possible, allowing for safety?