PDA

View Full Version : Driver seating position- speed vs safety

janneppi
15th November 2013, 15:47
Now that my favorite driver is down with back problems that began in a F1 related crash and were worsened by recent hit I think it's appropriate to start whining about cars being unsafe for drivers in long term. :D

If I understand correctly the current seating position is pretty much a fetus position where the driver is lying on his back. And it's because the need for low center of gravity and maybe aerodynamic efficiency.
This causes impact energy from hits below the car to affect the driver 's back without much cushioning.

Would raising the seat(making a more car like seating position) help in this matter, or would it create safety problems in another types of crashes?

AndyL
15th November 2013, 18:10
This is definitely a fair point to raise, Kimi's not the only one to have suffered back problems after all. It would probably help just to mandate a minimum thickness of impact-absorbing padding under the driver, without substantially changing the driving position. They could increase the height of the tub a little to maintain head protection.

Firstgear
15th November 2013, 22:02
Where's malbec, he'd probably have some insight here.
I think a lot of back problems (mine also) come from compression (and eventual bulging/herniating) of the discs. So if the driver is basically lying down in the cockpit, the most compressive strain would be during front/rear impacts or severe braking. Putting the driver's seat more vertical would induce more compression while being jarred vertically, going over bumps & curbs.
Sounds like 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other to me.