PDA

View Full Version : Remembrance Sunday

Mark
10th November 2013, 09:05
They went with songs to the battle, they were young.

Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

steveaki13
10th November 2013, 09:43
We owe a lot to these brave people. So the least we can do is remember them.

D-Type
10th November 2013, 11:35
One thing I always remember about WW1: It was 1916 before conscription was introduced. Up until then the army and navy were all volunteers.

We should honour the memory and all those who fought and died for their, and our, country

Rollo
10th November 2013, 12:01
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.
They do not feel any enmity against me as an individual, nor I against them. They are ‘only doing their duty’, as the saying goes. Most of them, I have no doubt, are kind-hearted law-abiding men who would never dream of committing murder in private life.
- George Orwell, The Lion and the Unicorn (1941)

henners88
10th November 2013, 12:11
A day where it really hits home how lucky we are and the debt we owe to the people who sacrificed their lives for the country we have today.

airshifter
10th November 2013, 20:20
It is only fitting that the day exist to remember one of the most brutal conflicts in history. As someone that enjoys military history, it's amazing that large units surrendered en masse in order to try to survive. I think in some cases close to 100,000 men surrendered as one group. With the more primitive nature of the warfare, it was not anything other than a will to survive.

larsolthof
12th November 2013, 04:00
Yes,A day where it really hits home how lucky we are.

We will remember them always.

donKey jote
12th November 2013, 07:45
just to think that if it weren't for the likes of my Grandad and his Hurricane, you might have all also been speaking German by now :devil: :andrea:

Gregor-y
12th November 2013, 17:15
My Granddad invaded Puerto Rico, which is party why we're all speaking Spanish these days.

donKey jote
17th November 2013, 12:14
I'd never heard "Glory Glory alleluja" in German before, and was even more surprised to suddenly hear a choir singing it in the middle of the woods by my home, followed by silence.
Turns out today is the Volkstrauertag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkstrauertag).

Mark
19th November 2013, 13:23
I'd never heard "Glory Glory alleluja" in German before, and was even more surprised to suddenly hear a choir singing it in the middle of the woods by my home, followed by silence.
Turns out today is the Volkstrauertag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkstrauertag).

Good to hear. Traditionally in the UK we've been poor at remembering that those from the 'other side' were just as much victims of the war as our own people.