PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

AndyL
1st November 2013, 14:52
Practice 2 underway; from the text commentary on the live timing:

Vettel reported a "funny smell" in is cockpit before returning to the pits.

Answers on a post card please :D

Tazio
1st November 2013, 15:24
That was his finger he smelled :dozey:

steveaki13
1st November 2013, 19:52
I can never really get interested in this track. The run off area's are so huge. It provides no real challenge.

Still. It will be interesting to see if Seb can continue his amazing run.

N4D13
2nd November 2013, 15:01
Alonso is so good that instead of qualifying in a decent position, he wants to pick up where he left off at India. I guess he just can't concede defeat. :D

Wasted Talent
2nd November 2013, 17:35
I'm just hoping Filipe can out qualify him again at the last 2 races and beat him over the season...

henners88
2nd November 2013, 19:19
Gutted for Hamilton and trilled for Webber. Really hope he can get a good start tomorrow and perhaps Seb can be a decent fellow and let Mark win this one in style before he leaves the sport. I think he owes him this one after Malaysia. It's great to see Mark still has the pace on his day and for once I'm looking forward to a race this season. :)

N4D13
2nd November 2013, 19:22
Kimi excluded from quali! (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111084) :mad: That's going to put even more strain in Lotus' relationship with Kimi...

henners88
2nd November 2013, 19:23
Kimi excluded from qualifying after an illegal front floor, starts from the back. Surprised he's even turned up considering Lotus haven't paid him. I think I'd be booking a plane home tonight if I were him. Not the most motivating series of events.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/11/02/raik ... -the-grid/ (http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/11/02/raikkonen-sent-to-the-back-of-the-grid/)

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2013, 21:10
Even more importantly, that's already the second time the Lotus fails this particular test this year. Earlier this year RoGro's car was affected and they tried to explain it with curb damage too. Looks like the stewards didn't buy the excuse a second time.

And now for tooting my own horn shamelessly. I offered an opinion on the Lotus situation on TJ13:

TJ13: Daily #F1 News and Comment: November 2nd 2013 (http://thejudge13.com/2013/11/02/daily-f1-news-and-comment-november-2nd-2013/)

steveaki13
2nd November 2013, 22:23
I really enjoyed that Quali session. Once I finally got round to watching it.

Webber was brilliant and fully deserved that pole. I wonder if tomorrow the Bulls will be so fast that they will be able to arrange a Web, Vett 1-2.

Real shame for Kimi, but its going to be interesting to see if he can do a Seb and come towards a podium.

Then we have got Mercedes battle and they could get ahead for a Bull or two to mix things up.

I actually think it could be a good race.

dj_bytedisaster
2nd November 2013, 23:14
I think now that both titles are in the bag, Mark will have complete freedom. This race could become quite interesting after all :D

Finski
2nd November 2013, 23:21
Shame about kimi, will be interesting to see what he can do from the back, hope its not his last race for the year.

Koz
3rd November 2013, 02:27

Webber was brilliant and fully deserved that pole. I wonder if tomorrow the Bulls will be so fast that they will be able to arrange a Web, Vett 1-2.

This is possibly Vettel's last chance to match Mike's record for 13 wins in a season. Do you think that barring mechanical failure, he would be allowed to finish ahead of Vet?

Koz
3rd November 2013, 02:28
Shame about kimi, will be interesting to see what he can do from the back, hope its not his last race for the year.
They could do what Vettel did last year, if their car is fast enough and there is an SC or two.

ShiftingGears
3rd November 2013, 04:46
Excellent news that Webber is on pole. Hopefully he can go on and fight for the win.

Gutted for Hamilton and trilled for Webber. Really hope he can get a good start tomorrow and perhaps Seb can be a decent fellow and let Mark win this one in style before he leaves the sport.

I didn't think wins that were gifted by teammates qualified as 'winning in style'.

Duncan
3rd November 2013, 05:45
There seem to be an awful lot of suspension part breakages going on. That was, what, 3 in FP3, plus Hamilton's mystery breakage in Q3. Not to mention whatever went wrong with Kimi's car.

Something to do with the way the cars are set up to ride over the curbs? Or is it just a coincidence? Just wondering if we're going to see a higher than normal attrition rate during the race.

henners88
3rd November 2013, 09:24
Excellent news that Webber is on pole. Hopefully he can go on and fight for the win.

Gutted for Hamilton and trilled for Webber. Really hope he can get a good start tomorrow and perhaps Seb can be a decent fellow and let Mark win this one in style before he leaves the sport.

I didn't think wins that were gifted by teammates qualified as 'winning in style'.
I suppose it depends on how it is managed. I'd rather Webber win it completely off his own back but his starts are appalling, plus if he does maintain a lead early on, he'll most likely lose out in the pit stops to his team mate. I hope now he has done the business on Saturday, he gets the support on Sunday. Webber is more than capable of winning in style, just hope today is that race.

steveaki13
3rd November 2013, 09:36

This is possibly Vettel's last chance to match Mike's record for 13 wins in a season. Do you think that barring mechanical failure, he would be allowed to finish ahead of Vet?

No I suppose not really. I had not really thought about Seb chasing a record when posting before.

As you say Vettel could probably easily win the last 3. I suppose another question is, If Webber is leading will Red Bull and Seb pull something out in a pitstop to keep that record going.

henners88
3rd November 2013, 10:13

No I suppose not really. I had not really thought about Seb chasing a record when posting before.

As you say Vettel could probably easily win the last 3. I suppose another question is, If Webber is leading will Red Bull and Seb pull something out in a pitstop to keep that record going.
I've got a feeling Red Bull would prefer their number one go for the record, rather than a driver due to leave, getting his first win of the season. I could be wrong but the relationship between Mark and the team has been pretty frosty this year and nothing would surprise me.

Tazio
3rd November 2013, 13:44
I'm just hoping Filipe can out qualify him again at the last 2 races and beat him over the season...
Not sure what you're getting at WT, out-qualifying, or being on equal terms, (which the Ferrari drivers pretty much are) then having less than half as many points and finishing 4 or 5 places behind your team mate is pretty strong evidence that relative to your team mate you're not a very good racer, that is until they start giving out points for quali. I'm pretty sure that is why he is being replaced by Kimi, who can deliver race results.

Top o' the morning boyz :)

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 13:56
Morning gurlz :wave: :andrea:

Tazio
3rd November 2013, 14:00
Donks ;)

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 14:02
kimi goes for a shit :dork:

JasonPotato
3rd November 2013, 14:03
Vettel first already (switches tv channel over)

gm99
3rd November 2013, 14:04
Another great start by Webber...not.
Kimi on strike?

longisland
3rd November 2013, 14:10
Kimi being giedoed. Should have seen it coming

Tazio
3rd November 2013, 14:11
Vettel smoking the field :dozey:

Tazio
3rd November 2013, 14:25
Ferrari on for a 1 stopper?

JasonPotato
3rd November 2013, 14:28
Kimi off home, dont blame him.

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 14:29
Ferrari on for a 1 stopper?

tires are beginning to go though :dozey:

longisland
3rd November 2013, 14:33
Gutierrez is really giving Hamilton a run for his money. Great drive & Sauber is officially the widest car of the year

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 14:46
Sutil :D
and Ham gets mugged by Massa :eek:

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 14:47
stoopid Massa leaving it for when he's fired :dozey:

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 14:48
Massa driver of the race :D :andrea:

tfp
3rd November 2013, 14:49
Vettel looks 1s/lap quicker than webber.... We know vettels car is quicker than supermans, but he is also a miles better driver.

longisland
3rd November 2013, 14:50
Great opportunistic move from Massa. Ditto to Fred

gm99
3rd November 2013, 14:52
Hamilton is looking a bit mediocre compared to Rosberg in the past couple of races. So is Alonso compared to Massa ;)

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 14:59
Hamilton is looking a bit mediocre compared to Rosberg in the past couple of races. So is Alonso compared to Massa ;)
and Kimi compared to Grojo :dork:

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 15:02
Hey Felipe, Fernando has your arse again :p

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 15:22
ooooooohhhh :eek:

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 15:22
that took balls :crazy:

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 15:26
was Alo the naughty boy or was he squeezed ?
either way, I would have loved to have seen Massa's face :laugh:

N4D13
3rd November 2013, 15:27
It would be a shame if that move got a penalty. That kind of reminds me of Hamilton overtaking Rosberg in Bahrain outside of the track a couple of years ago in Bahrain.

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 15:29
Alo stringing fastest laps...
time for the stewards to chime in :devil: :eek: :p :andrea:

Tazio
3rd November 2013, 15:32
Ba-by! :wave:

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 15:33
to be investigated after the race...
Squiggy's dad will be fuming ! :p :andrea:

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 15:35
1:43 from Alo-Olé

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 15:39
well done Alonso :D
15sec ahead of Massa
now some donuts ! :andrea:

N4D13
3rd November 2013, 15:41
Well, that's probably going to be a extra 25k for Vettel. But ain't it worth it! :p

Tazio
3rd November 2013, 15:44
Fun race disregarding first place :angel:

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 15:44
Well, that's probably going to be a extra 25k for Vettel. But ain't it worth it! :p

they should strip him of all his points for bringing the sport into repute :D

truefan72
3rd November 2013, 15:46
a fully expect a penalty for alonso, he was way off the track in overtaking vergne
if you are going to give hulkenberg a drive through for an unsafe release, when the cars didn't touch etc, then you have to give alonso a 25 second penalty
this was no different than silverstone 2010 or hamilton in france in 2008. the only thing I'm annoyed by is the the fact that it has to be investigated after the race.
make a decision call him in and let him serve the penalty during the race

donKey jote
3rd November 2013, 15:48
a fully expect a penalty for alonso, he was way off the track in overtaking vergne
if you are going to give hulkenberg a drive through for an unsafe release, when the cars didn't touch etc, then you have to give alonso a 25 second penalty
this was no different than silverstone 2010 or hamilton in france in 2008. the only thing I'm annoyed by is the the fact that it has to be investigated after the race.
:bigcry: he beat Ham :bigcry:

Sutil also went way off and wasn't penalised, neither had anywhere else to go...

Tazio
3rd November 2013, 15:55
I'll be a bit surprised mate, Vernge drove him off the track. :burp: :stareup:
Sorry The Boss got punked by Fred and Nico! :dork: :angel:

truefan72
3rd November 2013, 15:59
:bigcry: he beat Ham :bigcry:

Sutil also went way off and wasn't penalised, neither had anywhere else to go...

i agree that he to too should/could have penalized, but given the fact that it both he and perez were behind maldonado and the incident caused both drivers off the track allowing perez to overtake maldonado plus the driver he was overtaking in the process of going off track (maldonado) was himself off the track, that is why there was no penalty for sutil. but I can see where it could have been given. The alonso incident is more egregious because he was exiting the pits and decided not to respect the car on the track and in fact pass him, way out of bounds, not even close. In order to gain an advantage.

As to your hamilton comments, fairly childish, but i wonder what you would be saying if hamilton had passed vegne off the track in the same manner. Based on your posts I'd say you would be screaming bloody murder ;)
Alonso was going to pass hamilton anyway, given his pace and soft tires, so i'm not bothered with that pass at all. Alonso passing him was the least of my gripes. So its rather foolish to go down that path as your excuse for Aloson passing off track. :rolleyes:

truefan72
3rd November 2013, 16:04
I'll be a bit surprised mate, Vernge drove him off the track. :burp: :stareup:
Sorry The Boss got punked by Fred and Nico! :dork: :angel:

Vergne didn't drive him off track, he and massa were in a battle and alonso simply had the bad luck of coming out of the pits just as the two were rounding that curve. he saw them and still decided to push, and then completely went off the track to make the pass. even if you give vergne 50% of the blame for a slight push off the track, this was still a pass (way) off the track, others have been penalized. he himself had been penalized for a similar incident in silverstone so i'm not sure how else that can be viewed

Koz
3rd November 2013, 16:16
There's a retard called Charlie Whiting who said track "limits" are not an issue, last race, no?

Who knows what the rules are this week?
They are inconsistent and change every other race.

And lets not discus things after the race.

What is the criteria for making decisions or investigating after the race?
They can't decide on the rules? Do they need to consult Bernie?
Ok, if it's at the end of the race with 2 laps to go I understand. But there was plenty of time.

Bagwan
3rd November 2013, 16:34
With what was at stake , they must have felt it necessary to have more discussion about it than there was at that moment .
It was too messy , and I'm sure each team involved had some good points as to why they should be the innocent victims in the situation .

Was Fernando pushed off ?
Was he enough beside to take the line ?
Was he advantaged by being off , or was he disadvantaged by having to find traction over the curbs ?
Was Verne disadvantaged by Fernando , because he was held tight on the track , when the idea seems to be that you need to keep the inside tires inside the white line ?

I'd like to see some video , or at least some screen captures , to see it again .

truefan72
3rd November 2013, 17:13
well the stewards verdict has come in in record time
- no further action -

so we will see of this precedent holds form the next time around
smh

Tazio
3rd November 2013, 17:28
Teflonso, Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry :angel: ;)

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9006885/

N4D13
3rd November 2013, 17:49
truefan was quick enough to point that pass by Hamilton in Magny Cours 2008 but I already pointed out a similar precedent in Bahrain a couple of years ago, when none other than The Boss overtook Rosberg outside the track and got away with it. Incidentally, I also remember Alonso whining about it afterwards in Twitter. :D

Tazio
3rd November 2013, 17:54
With what was at stake , they must have felt it necessary to have more discussion about it than there was at that moment .
It was too messy , and I'm sure each team involved had some good points as to why they should be the innocent victims in the situation .

Was he advantaged by being off , or was he disadvantaged by having to find traction over the curbs ?
Was Verne disadvantaged by Fernando , because he was held tight on the track , when the idea seems to be that you need to keep the inside tires inside the white line ?

I'd like to see some video , or at least some screen captures , to see it again .
Here you go mate! :dork:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYJ2V_HCEAAOK0g.jpg:large

Click to enlarge :stareup:

N4D13
3rd November 2013, 19:19
Apparently, even Vergne himself (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111117) thinks Alonso did the right thing.

N. Jones
3rd November 2013, 20:01
I hate McLaren. :(

steveaki13
3rd November 2013, 20:21
Hi all. I was out and about today so have only just watched the race.

Wow Seb was er........... amazing again. What a drive, the more I see the more I believe he is on par now with anyone in F1 these days. His speed, accuracy and attack are awesome. He fully deserves the plaudits.

Anyway else where the race was not the best, but hey its a crap track.

Webbo, Nico and RoGro will all be pleased with their results.

Alonso's was a good 5th although I think a bit lucky not too be penalized for taking JEV off track. Sutil definitely should have been penalized. Perez watched them tangle ad should have been ahead of both. Instead Slash pulls in front like nothings happened.

Hammy was poor today, couldn't pass people and lost more and more time.

Kimi was a fool. It almost looked as though he let VDG turn in on him on purpose. Wow imagine if it was. That's some way to take action against your're team.

Nice to see Williams a bit more in the battle.

henners88
3rd November 2013, 22:49
Hammy was poor today, couldn't pass people and lost more and more time.

I didn't think he did too bad considering the car problems and the fact the team kept advising him to save his tyres every time he got past somebody.

steveaki13
3rd November 2013, 22:57
He blamed himself for not saving his tyres as well as he could and for making hard work at the race.

I love Lewis, but by his high standards he chose the wrong place to be into turn 1 and from a potential 3rd he slipped to 5th and then lost about 20 seconds on those guys. Ultimately I thought he was poor today. IMO

Bagwan
4th November 2013, 00:25

Tanks , Mr. Sizzler !

That shows clearly why Fred is red .
You keep your foot in it .

nik
4th November 2013, 00:50
Nice to see Hulkenberg's race and weekend completly ruined by a 'something that may have happened penalty'. :rolleyes: Why give him that penalty? it wasn't 'unsafe' cos nothing happened. It was a safe release cos no accident was caused. Sorry F1 is BS these days.

F1 - number 1 priority, Rules and Penalties, number 2 Money, number 3...possibly we may allow a bit of Motorsport.

Tazio
4th November 2013, 02:20

Tanks , Mr. Sizzler !

That shows clearly why Fred is red .
You keep your foot in it .

"Telemetry confirms that car #3 was significantly faster, on option tyres, and had the advantage throughout the sequence.

"The drivers' explanations were completely clear. Therefore the stewards determine that neither car could avoid the incident, and no advantage was gained as a result of the incident."
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form ... 4--f1.html (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-alonso-escapes-penalty-pass-172634104--f1.html)

Alonso cleared after precautionary checks

Ferrari's Fernando Alonso had precautionary checks in hospital after hurting his back on a heavy jolt over the kerbs at the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix on Sunday.

A team spokesman said he had been given the all-clear.

"I still have all my teeth after the impact," the Spaniard, who finished fifth in the race, told reporters after the incident which occurred when he ran wide to avoid a collision with Jean-Eric Vergne's Toro Rosso.

"My back is obviously in pain a little bit because it was a big hit."
Thank goodness Bagy! :angel:

Robinho
4th November 2013, 05:11
i'm at a loss as to why Alonso did not get a penalty. I understand that if overtaking the car in front has to leave a cars width etc, but Alonso was coming from the pitlane back onto the active racetrack, as was behind, but travelling faster (I assume teh pit exit has a longer flat out run than the main track. Alonso stated he had no choice, other than to go off track to avoid Vergne, as he was left no room. Now, it seem to be an obvious thing, that if there is no space in which to drive, you ease off or brake and stay behind, especially a Vergne cannot have reasonably expected A) Alonso to be there at all, let alone B) attempting an overtake at that point of the track.

The rest of Alonso's final stint was deeply impressive, but I am mystified how he didn't get 10, 20 or even 30 secs added to his time

555-04Q2
4th November 2013, 06:40
i'm at a loss as to why Alonso did not get a penalty. I understand that if overtaking the car in front has to leave a cars width etc, but Alonso was coming from the pitlane back onto the active racetrack, as was behind, but travelling faster (I assume teh pit exit has a longer flat out run than the main track. Alonso stated he had no choice, other than to go off track to avoid Vergne, as he was left no room. Now, it seem to be an obvious thing, that if there is no space in which to drive, you ease off or brake and stay behind, especially a Vergne cannot have reasonably expected A) Alonso to be there at all, let alone B) attempting an overtake at that point of the track.

The rest of Alonso's final stint was deeply impressive, but I am mystified how he didn't get 10, 20 or even 30 secs added to his time

Inconsistency that's why. The FIA and the Stewards are pathetic when it comes to penalties handed out. They seem to have different rules every race :confused:

zako85
4th November 2013, 07:40
I wonder what those sheikhs thought about being sprayed with unholy alcoholic beverages after the ceremony.

555-04Q2
4th November 2013, 07:48
I wonder what those sheikhs thought about being sprayed with unholy alcoholic beverages after the ceremony.

It was rose water, not champagne :)

steveaki13
4th November 2013, 08:31
In that case. I bet they felt sticky

555-04Q2
4th November 2013, 08:32
In that case. I bet they felt sticky

I'm pretty sure they have a 24ct gold shower that they could hose themselves down in :laugh:

Bagwan
4th November 2013, 13:06

Fred said he was planning on passing in the coming DRS zone , and was surprised he caught him and was side by side .
As Vergne's tires were pooched , he had overestimated his speed , and also overestimated his grip as well .

At the same time , Vergne wasn't watching the pit out , but rather , was racing with full concentration , on getting those pooched tires around those curves .

Upon the realization that Jean-Eric wasn't going to leave enough room , Fred took the escape over the curbs to avoid an incident .
Vergne had no idea he was there , and was happy to laud his opponent for quick thinking .

I'm happy to laud the FIA for seeing this situation clearer than the regs really allow .
Both drivers , according to the book , had infractions . One was for not allowing space for another car , and the other for passing off track .
But neither sought to blame the other , and in fact , the one passed said he was lucky to have had the other react as he had .

So , no blame is no foul .

It might also be interesting to note that , I believe , there are regs that state that the driver exiting the pits should be shown a blue flag if there is oncoming traffic , indicating that the driver must let the traffic pass before entering the track .
Since we have heard nothing of this , I think we must assume that there was no flag shown , and therefore , nothing there to say the Alonso should stay behind .
Perhaps the FIA deserves a penalty here for the "unsafe release" .

jens
4th November 2013, 13:19
I don't think Kimi did anything on purpose, he is just not used to starting from the back and he didn't know, how do the backmarkers race. As it was, van der Garde is not used to giving the same racing room as frontrunners.

It is the same issue as with Vettel in Abu Dhabi in 2012. He started from the back and lost bits of front wing in action. If you never have practice at the back and you are not used to the racing style of the drivers at the back, you don't know, what to expect from them, can't fully trust them and can get caught out.

steveaki13
4th November 2013, 19:13
True point Jens.

It must be strange in a good car racing through those slow cars. The only surprise was that he hadn't cleared all 4 by turn 1 as we often see, but then it is a short run up there.

airshifter
5th November 2013, 04:48
Strange also for Kimi was it wasn't much of an impact, but the steering was shot immediately. Being impatient doesn't always work, and the frustration in starting from the back after a good qually session surely didn't help.

Overall I thought the race was rather boring. The DRS zones are far too long and it makes thing predictable. Not much excitement during the entire race really.