donKey jote
13th October 2013, 09:41
Romain :up:
big heavy Hulk again :bandit:
Vettel (boo ;) :p )

+ special mention to Massa for rescuing P10 in a clearly inferior car :dork:

N4D13
13th October 2013, 09:43
Vettel all the way. Totally faultless race with fine pace and perfectly executed strategy. He overtook when it was necessary, which can't be said of his teammate.

Tazio
13th October 2013, 09:48
Alonso wins driver of the race hands down again.

webberf1
13th October 2013, 09:49
Vettel all the way. Totally faultless race with fine pace and perfectly executed strategy. He overtook when it was necessary, which can't be said of his teammate.
Seriously? Vettel? Faultless?
He had more lockups than a prison.
He did well in the last stint, but most of the race he was far from his best.
My picks are Grosjean, Hulkenberg and Ricciardo.

gm99
13th October 2013, 09:51
Vettel and his race strategist. Very good tactics, executed brilliantly by the driver.

I think the Sauber guys deserve a mention as well - both cars in the top 7.

N4D13
13th October 2013, 09:52
@webberf1: most of his lockups were in his in-laps - apart from that, he didn't do many mistakes. Plus he managed to conserve his tyres all right and was able to overtake RoGro straight away whereas we saw that Webber only could get past him when the lapped cars gave him a hand. I don't think anyone put a stellar performance during this race but I believe that Seb was the one who got closer.

donKey jote
13th October 2013, 09:58
special mention to Rosberg for his fluent Spanish with Nira :bandit:

webberf1
13th October 2013, 10:39
@webberf1: most of his lockups were in his in-laps - apart from that, he didn't do many mistakes. Plus he managed to conserve his tyres all right and was able to overtake RoGro straight away whereas we saw that Webber only could get past him when the lapped cars gave him a hand. I don't think anyone put a stellar performance during this race but I believe that Seb was the one who got closer.
As I say, his only really redeeming part of the race was in the final stint. The first 3 quarters of the race he was under pressure and well below his best. There were easily better performances throughout the field.

dj_bytedisaster
13th October 2013, 10:45
As I say, his only really redeeming part of the race was in the final stint. The first 3 quarters of the race he was under pressure and well below his best. There were easily better performances throughout the field.

Bumhurt much? Hamilton had damaged Vettel's front wing at the start, so the car was out of whack for the whole race. And he was continously instructed to back off and stay 2 sec behind the car infront to save the tyres in the first two stints. That's why his tyres survived and Mark's didn't. Did you even watch the race?

Mark should have won this, but when you need five laps to get past RoGro on a fresh set of options, you only have yourself to blame.

webberf1
13th October 2013, 10:48
Bumhurt much? Hamilton had damaged his front wing at the start, so the car was out of whack for the whole race. And he was continously instructed to back off and stay 2 sec behind the car infront to save the tyres. Did you even watch the race?
Butthurt over what? I'm happy for him for winning the race, but it wasn't his best.

dj_bytedisaster
13th October 2013, 10:52
Bumhurt much? Hamilton had damaged his front wing at the start, so the car was out of whack for the whole race. And he was continously instructed to back off and stay 2 sec behind the car infront to save the tyres. Did you even watch the race?
Butthurt over what? I'm happy for him for winning the race, but it wasn't his best.

Of course not. A wonky KERS and a clipped front wing can do that for you. But he still got the job done when it mattered, unlike - let's say - his team mate or the strategy wombles in the the Lotus pit box.

webberf1
13th October 2013, 10:55
And no doubt that Webber underperformed, again. But what does that have to do with Vettel?
Grosjean drove a better race than both of them.

And a few of you were obviously blindfolded when Vettel got it all messed up at turn 1 and lucky to not take more damage. That's not what you call 'coasting to maintain a gap'. It's called 'pushing and struggling to keep up with the leader'.

webberf1
13th October 2013, 10:56
[quote="dj_bytedisaster":2f6gr0jo]Bumhurt much? Hamilton had damaged his front wing at the start, so the car was out of whack for the whole race. And he was continously instructed to back off and stay 2 sec behind the car infront to save the tyres. Did you even watch the race?

Of course not. A wonky KERS and a clipped front wing can do that for you. But he still got the job done when it mattered, unlike - let's say - his team mate or the strategy wombles in the the Lotus pit box.[/quote:2f6gr0jo]
Lol. Why are you so butthurt that I don't think Vettel had his best race?
Calm down kiddo.

dj_bytedisaster
13th October 2013, 11:02
Calm down kiddo.

I just agreed with you what it wasn't his best, but it was enough, so why should it matter?

webberf1
13th October 2013, 11:15
Calm down kiddo.

I just agreed with you what it wasn't his best, but it was enough, so why should it matter?
Good enough to win. Not enough to be man of the race.
Anyway, whenever you're ready to hop off Vettel's jock (is that how you got the butthurt?) we'll get around to discussing other interesting things about the race.

dj_bytedisaster
13th October 2013, 11:20
Anyway, whenever you're ready to hop off Vettel's jock (is that how you got the butthurt?) we'll get around to discussing other interesting things about the race.

It wasn't me, who nominated him. I merely thought your objection to it was exaggerated. You made it sound as if he drove like he had the helmet on back-to-front. He's had better ones (Singapore), but in the end except for two lockups into the chicane, which pretty much everyone had towards the ends of their stints, he didn't put a foot wrong.

Not really a race, where any driver stood out. RoGro and Hulk were both great, but in the end didn't manage to get it home (RoGro with dubious help of his pitwall crew).

webberf1
13th October 2013, 11:25
Still riding it hard, are ya? True cowboy. Kudos to you.

So yeah, finally Grosjean is making a name for himself. Hulkenberg... I shake my head every time I see him taking that Sauber to places it doesn't deserve.

dj_bytedisaster
13th October 2013, 11:29
Still riding it hard, are ya? True cowboy. Kudos to you.

Is than jealousy I hear? :D

Anywho. Just for completeness sake. Here's my nomination:

Bernd Mayländer. For staying where he should be staying more often - in the pits.

henners88
13th October 2013, 11:46
Excellent drive by Grosjean, a pleasure to watch throughout. I just hope Lotus have enough money next season to deliver podiums and wins. Romain is still unpredictable at times, but it's races like this where he shows the talent he obviously has. Driver of this race for me :)

tjoepie
13th October 2013, 12:07

A Vettel neutral FWIW, but the way some people have to jump through hoops to find a way to discredit him is borderline crazy...

dj_bytedisaster
13th October 2013, 12:11

A Vettel neutral FWIW, but the way some people have to jump through hoops to find a way to discredit him is borderline crazy...

English is not my first language, but isn't the statement you quoted a rather positive one? :confused: 'fraid you lost me here...

tjoepie
13th October 2013, 12:24
Sorry, somewhere along the line my comment got garbled. I was quoting N4D13 and intending to agree with his statement.

What I meant by By Vettel neutral I mean that, while I often find myself disliking him as a person, I concede that he is if not the best racer there, very close to it, and I find the attempts to discredit his racecraft eccentric.

DexDexter
13th October 2013, 12:26
Grosjean was the driver of the race.

webberf1
13th October 2013, 13:11
Sorry, somewhereialong the line my comment got garbled. I was quoting N4D13 and intending to agree with his statement.

What I meant by By Vettel neutral I mean that, while I often find myself disliking him as a person, I concede that he is if not the best racer there, very close to it, and I find the attempts to discredit his racecraft eccentric.
If you're meaning me in any way, it ain't the case. I rate Vettel very highly. One of the all time greats. I find it extremely hard to separate Seb, Lewis and Fernando... Although if I had to pick one, Lewis would probably just get the edge. But Vettel I have huge respect for as a racer.
EDIT: btw, Hulkenberg may soon be joining those top 3 if he keeps performing this way.

zako85
13th October 2013, 13:26
I didn't think I was going to say this, but it has to be Vettel. Even around lap 30, I was willing to bet 20 bucks that Webber, and not Grosjean, wins the race. The way Vettel managed the race and pushed to the win was incredible. This was one of Vettel's best races this year IMHO.

zako85
13th October 2013, 13:37

Ridiculous statement. Good drive, but not the best, and certainly not hands down. Yes, he moved up from 8th to 4th, but you gotta question why he qualified in 8th behind his teammate to begin with.

dj_bytedisaster
13th October 2013, 13:39

Ridiculous statement. Good drive, but not the best, and certainly not hands down. Yes, he moved up from 8th to 4th, but you gotta question why he qualified in 8th behind his teammate in the first place.

I don't think Mr Alca-Tazizzle was really sober, when he posted that. He's been posting some weird stuff in the wee hours of the morning.

zako85
13th October 2013, 13:40
Grosjean was the driver of the race.

Sadly, Grosjean loses his lead and finishes in 3rd, one up from where he started. Good drive, but the strategy was not the best I guess.

Mia 01
13th October 2013, 14:06
Seb drove a very clever race today, my winner.

Grosjean made a very good start but faded away later on.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th October 2013, 14:31
Esteban Gutierrez. 14th to 7th to score his first points.

AndyL
13th October 2013, 14:43

Good defence against Rosberg at the end as well.

A FONDO
13th October 2013, 16:26
He had more lockups than a prison.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Grosan is obviously my first pick. Then both of the Saubers - their cars were not just over-suitable for the track but they put some good effort too.

Parabolica
13th October 2013, 16:27
I'd give it to Seb.

He made an alternative strategy work, with a superbly managed and well-judged drive.

There will be those who cannot appreciate that skill, but there are Games Consoles to entertain them.

Fernando again got the best he could, and Esteban drove a good race.

But it was Seb who got it.

Tazio
13th October 2013, 16:31
he moved up from 8th to 4th, but you gotta question why he qualified in 8th behind his teammate to begin with. Driver of the race squid, not quali dork! :dork:

I don't think Mr Alca-Tazizzle was really sober, when he posted that. He's been posting some weird stuff in the wee hours of the morning.
Fight me you punk-ass bitch! Shit my tattoo could kick your punk-ass :smokin:

dj_bytedisaster
13th October 2013, 17:37
Have you by any chance taken up collecting post reports, Mr Alca-Tazizzle? Most of the day people have been beating me to it. I've been learning English for 26 years now and I still learned new swear words today.

Someone please tell this guy that drunk-posting is a ridiculous idea :|

N. Jones
13th October 2013, 18:19
Vettel. He did very well, with the team's great help, to pull out a win after a non-typical slow start.

Tazio
13th October 2013, 18:45
Have you by any chance taken up collecting post reports, Mr Alca-Tazizzle? Most of the day people have been beating me to it. I've been learning English for 26 years now and I still learned new swear words today.

Try this one:
"Buttholean" Fight me you; "miserabili pezzi di merda" :stareup: Coniglio :laugh:

jens
13th October 2013, 19:10
I see the discussion here and it is difficult to compare Vettel and Grosjean, since they were in completely different situations. Both did well given the situation they were in.

Grosjean made a superb start, but as evidenced, Lotus was not a match to Red Bull in the race and he faced an almost impossible task to try to cover the RBR's since they completely split the strategy to get at least one car ahead of Romain. Maybe Lotus could have pitted Grosjean a bit later or he could have "duelled" Vettel in trying to find out, which one of them can make the tyres last longer. Then again Vettel was quickly closing on Grosjean before second pitstops and Lotus had to pit earlier and make the undercut, because had they missed the moment and let Vettel pit earlier, the German would have almost certainly emerged ahead after the stop.

I think Webber's early pitstop confused Lotus a bit and they were unsure, who they had to cover. In the end Grosjean did very well, considering he had to fend off both Red Bulls, it was almost impossible to hang onto the lead, since one alternative strategy of RB's was going to work out anyway.

Vettel on the other hand may have had some lock-ups, but what was notable, was how long he could run in the stint and conserve the tyres without losing significant pace. Especially in a battle with Lotus, which is always known as a good tyre-conserver. So it looks like despite lock-ups the tyre health remained fine. Of course it was helped by the fact that the first three were well clear of everybody else, so Vettel didn't have to worry about dropping into traffic after his late pitstops.

Parabolica
13th October 2013, 20:02
[quote="dj_bytedisaster":be9xja8z]Have you by any chance taken up collecting post reports, Mr Alca-Tazizzle? Most of the day people have been beating me to it. I've been learning English for 26 years now and I still learned new swear words today.

Try this one:
"Buttholean" Fight me you; "miserabili pezzi di merda" :stareup: Coniglio :laugh:[/quote:be9xja8z]

Pax, Pax, Senator!

The Goths ransacked Rome, so it is no surprise that this one is pugnacious.

The forests of the North are very dark.

It is not his fault that we have benefited from a Classical Education.

anfield5
13th October 2013, 20:56
For me it has to be Roman. Faultless drive and could nothing to hold off the much faster Red Bull pair. Good drive again from the Hulk and Estoban, it's a shame Sauber diddn't start the season very well. Solid from the Red Bull pair and Alonso

rjbetty
14th October 2013, 02:44
Romain Grosjean.

I have always been a believer in RoGro since qualifying in Australia 2012, through the dark days of this year and the end of last year, and have followed his career with interest since that moment. He is always one of the drivers who I am most interested in when I see the results sheets, along with Nico Hulkenberg and Daniel Ricciardo.

Koz
14th October 2013, 04:48
Try this one:
"Buttholean" Fight me you; "miserabili pezzi di merda" :stareup: Coniglio :laugh:

Wherever he may be, Pino is proud of you. :laugh:

airshifter
14th October 2013, 05:00

He qualifies as my DOTD as well.

Quite a few good drives, but Esteban just quietly gained positions and defended them. Superb defending in the final laps against Rosberg.

Mentions to Seb, Grosjean (rocket start!), and Webber even though the strategy shorted him in the end. Hulk for battling with the likes of Alonso and Kimi for much of the race as well.

Robinho
14th October 2013, 06:32
Grojean, who was only foiled by his own pit wall IMO, they tried to cover the wrong car. He has been very impressive in the 2nd half of the year and has done more than enough to cement his place in F1, quick and seems to have alleviated most of the errors

Hulk had another standout performance, although Guttierez proved that the car is very good at the moment.

Vettel, in conjunction with his strategists, delivered a decent drive, but not the DOTD

555-04Q2
14th October 2013, 06:49
Always the winner, Vettel. Is it just me or is he looking more and more like The Shoe every race? Cool, calm and collected, delivers what is needed when it is needed. Faultless at the moment!

anfield5
15th October 2013, 04:41
Always the winner, Vettel. Is it just me or is he looking more and more like The Shoe every race? Cool, calm and collected, delivers what is needed when it is needed. Faultless at the moment!

The problem with Vettel winning is that it kind of expected. You start thinking 'Vettel won, so what else happened."
In the car he has he is nearly unbeatable, he will have to start winning in not the best car to be considered a true great, but even now you can't argue with this guy's ability to get the best out of the car/tyre package.

airshifter
15th October 2013, 04:51

Talented without doubt, but he is no MS on the staying cool factor. He sounded very stressed on the radio when Mark and Romain were coming, especially when he hit traffic. He was still 7 or 8 seconds clear of the cars and freaking out about lapped traffic.

Granted MS had a lot more pressure to deal with before he was in a dominant car, Seb got used to a great car fairly early in his career.

555-04Q2
15th October 2013, 06:51

Talented without doubt, but he is no MS on the staying cool factor. He sounded very stressed on the radio when Mark and Romain were coming, especially when he hit traffic. He was still 7 or 8 seconds clear of the cars and freaking out about lapped traffic.

Granted MS had a lot more pressure to deal with before he was in a dominant car, Seb got used to a great car fairly early in his career.

He may have sounded stressed, but we forget, the kid is only 26! He'll mature in time ;) Hell not even The Shoe, Senna, Prost etc had achieved anything near what he has by the time they were 26.

Granted he has had a great car under him, but he's still delivered the goods and beaten a far more experienced teammate regularly in his time at RBR :)

555-04Q2
15th October 2013, 06:54

The problem with Vettel winning is that it kind of expected. You start thinking 'Vettel won, so what else happened."
In the car he has he is nearly unbeatable, he will have to start winning in not the best car to be considered a true great, but even now you can't argue with this guy's ability to get the best out of the car/tyre package.

Yeah it's like The Shoe in the first half of the 2000's, you knew he was gonna win most races it was just a case of by how much. What has been amazing me is how he consistently delivers (forget about how good or bad the car is) and is beating his teammate who has 10 years plus on him. I'm hoping next years car is not as dominant what with all the reg changes etc and we see what he's made of when the pressure is really on :)

The Black Knight
17th October 2013, 23:46
Without doubt Romain Grosjean. Best race I've seen him drive to date. I'm delighted for him because he really took a lot of slack, and deservedly so, over the last year and a half. He has worked on it though and really deserves all the praise he can get. He also really seems like a very nice chap and it's good to see him come out the other site of tough times. I hope he keeps it up and carries this momentum into next year.

Again Seb - great race but I wouldn't say it was his best by any means though he still managed to win it.

Alonso again of course for extracting the maximum from a second rate car.

steveaki13
18th October 2013, 00:01
Grosjean is the driver of the race for me. To keep those Bulls so honest was amazing.

Seb is a close Second followed by the Hulk.

I thought Chilton had one of his better weekends as a whole too.

Tazio
18th October 2013, 04:50
Rogro drove in a manner that is typical of the valiant French :kiss:

henners88
18th October 2013, 10:33
Without doubt Romain Grosjean. Best race I've seen him drive to date. I'm delighted for him because he really took a lot of slack, and deservedly so, over the last year and a half. He has worked on it though and really deserves all the praise he can get. He also really seems like a very nice chap and it's good to see him come out the other site of tough times. I hope he keeps it up and carries this momentum into next year.

Again Seb - great race but I wouldn't say it was his best by any means though he still managed to win it.

Alonso again of course for extracting the maximum from a second rate car.
I too would like to see Romain take this performance into next year. It would be nice to see him score regular podiums and I'm pleased some of my defence of him last year is starting to prove right. He seems a genuinely nice guy and showed in the last race he has the level headed consistency to finish a race strongly under pressure. Man of the race I say again :)