PDA

View Full Version : The future of Jenson Button

Pages : 1 [2]

Ian McC
27th May 2007, 11:45
Unfortunately, not. But Jenson isn't as bad as some people claim him to be.

No he isn't at all, but in F1 you stock rises and falls as to how well you do and a lot of that is down to the car you're in. Unless Honda makes a dramatic improvement his time has now passed.

Valve Bounce
27th May 2007, 13:03
It is interesting that Sutil reckons he is as good as Lewis Hamilton, and if he is driving a McLaren he would be doing just as well also.

There is a helluva lot of truth in that - if a guy is landed with a lousy car, his stocks go down, when compared with the guys who are doing well in the good cars.

I guess bunsen is really unlucky this year.

GridGirl
27th May 2007, 16:04
Today's news is tomorrows chip shop paper as they say. It could be worse for Button, he could be in the Toyota. I'm sure Honda will regroup, they have to, Jenson is still young, people know the car is terrible. His place in f1 next year or anytime in the new furture isn't in doubt for a second.

With all the hype being directed in Hamilton's direction there days you might look at it as the pressure for him to perform as being off. Given a better car, it might be something he can thrive on and make him a much better driver.

rohanweb
27th May 2007, 16:52
its very sad that JB has never had a way of winning considerable races to break in to the 'champion', the teams he has chosen to be with werent that good, & probably his smoother but not aggressive racing styles may have not impressed top teams like McLaren.Ferrari ( else we would have seen him in these teams dont we)..
well.he is a great person, but unlike former champions like Damon Hill, I dont think JB will be effective racer in his next few years or / late 30's to be in top teams to win a championship ( like Damon Hill )... and the arrival of younger once like LH /FA/PM, whose progress is very good & in the long run media highlights will runout of JB's side.. its a sad situation though..

Roamy
28th May 2007, 18:01
Today's news is tomorrows chip shop paper as they say. It could be worse for Button, he could be in the Toyota. I'm sure Honda will regroup, they have to, Jenson is still young, people know the car is terrible. His place in f1 next year or anytime in the new furture isn't in doubt for a second.

With all the hype being directed in Hamilton's direction there days you might look at it as the pressure for him to perform as being off. Given a better car, it might be something he can thrive on and make him a much better driver.

I wouldn't write him off so quickly. I can recall when BARF/Honda built a car that didn't suite JV's driving style - to the point where Jock Clear and JV rebuilt the entire ass end of the car. Plus Nakamoron is now clearly in the records books as a complete "moron" So lets see if Honda takes Button's input and builds a car he can drive. It is very technical at this level so one medio year does not necessarily mean a driver is ****. I still believe at the end of the day JB would win a championship before RB would

aryan
28th May 2007, 20:11
I still believe at the end of the day JB would win a championship before RB would

That sentence implies that one of them will become WDC eventually, right?

Roamy
28th May 2007, 20:29
it is ambigious

Valve Bounce
28th May 2007, 23:22
it is ambigious

:D

raphael123
28th May 2007, 23:48
That sentence implies that one of them will become WDC eventually, right?

Not really. It says 'would'.

I agree with them, if Honda had a car capable of winning the title, I'd put my money on Button winning more so than on Rubens. Rubens had a title winning for 5yrs, and ok, he was a No2 driver, but didnt really get that close to showing he had potential. At least Massa, in the 2nd half of last year showed he could win races and challenge Michael, and even Irvine did by the 99 season.

BeansBeansBeans
29th May 2007, 09:06
Rubens had a title winning for 5yrs, and ok, he was a No2 driver, but didnt really get that close to showing he had potential.

Rubens' drive in the 2003 British GP was arguably the best individual performance in a Grand Prix since Senna 10 years earlier at Donington. Discuss.

Valve Bounce
29th May 2007, 09:53
Yep!!

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 09:54
and even Irvine did by the 99 season.

No he didn't.

The only race where Schumi and Irvine were actually racing, and Irvine finished in front was the season opener in Australia, where Schumi failed to get away on the grid for the parade lap, meaning Michael was forced to start from the back of the grid. Michael then proceeded to lap Irvine in the very next race in Brazil.

I would suggest that you check on your facts before making statements in future :p :

Valve Bounce
29th May 2007, 09:57
No he didn't.

The only race where Schumi and Irvine were actually racing, and Irvine finished in front was the season opener in Australia, where Schumi failed to get away on the grid for the parade lap, meaning Michael was forced to start from the back of the grid. Michael then proceeded to lap Irvine in the very next race in Brazil.

I would suggest that you check on your facts before making statements in future :p :

Didn't Irvine pull over for SchM during one of the races when Eddie could have won his first ever GP? My memory is not good, maybe somebody could help me out here.

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 10:20
Didn't Irvine pull over for SchM during one of the races when Eddie could have won his first ever GP? My memory is not good, maybe somebody could help me out here.

To my knowledge Irvine and Schumi didn't have a close 1-2 finish prior to Irvine winning the 1999 Aussie GP.

janneppi
29th May 2007, 10:34
don'tremeber that, but Mika Salo did pull over ahead of Eddie in that fashion. :)

Flat.tyres
29th May 2007, 13:55
Not really. It says 'would'.

I agree with them, if Honda had a car capable of winning the title, I'd put my money on Button winning more so than on Rubens. Rubens had a title winning for 5yrs, and ok, he was a No2 driver, but didnt really get that close to showing he had potential. At least Massa, in the 2nd half of last year showed he could win races and challenge Michael, and even Irvine did by the 99 season.

that seems like a fair assessment.

put button in a good car and he will be quick. in a crap car, he struggles.

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 14:01
put button in a good car and he will be quick. in a crap car, he struggles.

Show me a driver that's any different.

Even Michael Schumacher struggled in 2005 in a crap car, I don't see Jenson is any different, certainly when you compare his performances with his teammate.

Flat.tyres
29th May 2007, 14:13

Even Michael Schumacher struggled in 2005 in a crap car, I don't see Jenson is any different, certainly when you compare his performances with his teammate.

fair point but i didnt explain myself sufficiently.

jenson is a quick lad that has the pace to trouble anyone out there. he's one of the best I know at getting into a fast groove where he dials himself into the car and just gets faster and faster.

then you get the drivers that constantly have to drive the car to get the best out of it. They are never the quickest in a fast car but in a dog like the Honda, they show better.

RB is like this. In a mediocre car like the Honda, he is faster as JB relies on accuracy rather than balls. RB can work with a struggling, unpredictable car better than Jenson but put them in a better car and Button will come out on top 7 times out of 10 at least.

jens
29th May 2007, 14:42

At least Schumacher didn't get beaten by Barrichello in 2005.

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 14:48
Only becuase of team orders. Rubens should have won the Indy farce that year.

jens
30th May 2007, 11:03

For most of the season Michael was better. But in Button's case in 2007 it's already 5-0 in favour of Barrichello...

BeansBeansBeans
30th May 2007, 11:23
Rubens has been better this season, undoubtedly. Mostly for the reasons given by Flat.Tyres above.

BDunnell
30th May 2007, 12:49

Nah, Tiago Monteiro should have!

Valve Bounce
30th May 2007, 14:09
Rubens has been better this season, undoubtedly. Mostly for the reasons given by Flat.Tyres above.

Well, that was a very interesting hypothesis that has, to date, not been proven yet!! maybe we ought to carry out more tests to check it's veracity.

tsarcasm
30th May 2007, 14:19

You call 3rd in the WDC struggling...Well yes 2005 was a bad year for Ferrari. Schumacher is so talented he drove that 2005GA my it's scruff and remained competitive, something JB has never and will never do.

GRAVETT
30th May 2007, 16:53
I really don't know what Buttons future is, I still dont really know how good he is !! he has'nt really shown me any huge amount of talent or has'nt showed me hes not good enough. to be honest i think his time is rapidly drawing to a close. he definatly has'nt lived up to his hype, wether thats through lack of talent or some silly decisions i doubt we'll ever know.
personally i'm not too bothered if he stays or goes, when all is said and done will f1 really miss him and does f1 really need him.

trumperZ06
30th May 2007, 19:22
:dozey: Button was the Darling of the British Press. Much of the ink...

consisted of HYPE...

building up Jensen's reputation.

;) Now that Hamilton has arrived... poor Ole Jensen is...

"yesterday's news",

about as tasty to the British Press as 3 day old fish.

:rolleyes: Unless Honda turns that F-1 team around,

Jensen will

sloooowly fade out into the sunset.

tsarcasm
30th May 2007, 21:01
hadn't thought of that there is a new No1 for the home motoring press eh' Hamilton!!

Valve Bounce
31st May 2007, 00:07
:dozey: Button was the Darling of the British Press. Much of the ink...

consisted of HYPE...

building up Jensen's reputation.

;) Now that Hamilton has arrived... poor Ole Jensen is...

"yesterday's news",

about as tasty to the British Press as 3 day old fish.

:rolleyes: Unless Honda turns that F-1 team around,

Jensen will

sloooowly fade out into the sunset.

There's hope for bunsen and Honda: just paint "SAVE THE WHALE" on the side of the Honda. That would get them so much publicity that everyone will forget about Lewis. :p :