PDA

View Full Version : 23 GPs!?

tjoepie
27th September 2013, 16:58
So New Jersey just got confirmed as the 22nd Grand Prix for 2014, which is actually 23 Grands Prix since India is merely taking a one season break. At what point is the calendar actually saturated? I am led to understand that it's more the backroom boys than the drivers themselves for whom this is too much...

Parabolica
27th September 2013, 19:06
I don't see a problem with it.

There are 4 pre-season tests, so dropping them and adding more races wouldn't increase the workload.

Mark
27th September 2013, 21:13
Way way too many. 16 races is about right. From March to October one every two weeks.

Mia 01
27th September 2013, 21:16
Moore the merrier. Like it!

steveaki13
28th September 2013, 00:28
Wow 22 or 23 races.

Didn't even realise Mexico was ready for 2014.

I personally think 18-20 is just about right and on the limit. 23 could be most Sundays every Summer. Which I would still watch, but I have other interests too so I would struggle to fit it all in.

Cant see teams being particularly happy though. Maybe it is time for rotation of team personnel.

Tazio
28th September 2013, 03:08
#like

zako85
28th September 2013, 14:55
Let's hope this doesn't cause a major implosion.

acescribe
28th September 2013, 19:07
Too many - its not Nascar!

18 is enough, from March to October.

Don't forget that Thailand are claiming they are on the bill for 2015 too!

steveaki13
28th September 2013, 19:12
One every week of the year would be nice. Maybe with a month break in between.

Mia 01
29th September 2013, 11:39
One every week of the year would be nice. Maybe with a month break in between.

Me, me, me me, me like!!

(Paying for every minute :o )

Koz
29th September 2013, 15:18
Aren't more GPs worse for the teams and the sport overall?
The make the same money, it costs them more to do extra races and travel.
FOM makes big bucks from venue sponsorship?

Or have I got this wrong?

jens
29th September 2013, 16:20
When I was younger, I would have probably liked the idea of as-many-races-as-possible. "Oh cool, F1 in every weekend."
But now it feels like it would be wearing me down.

Even if the title battle is tight, it feels like it would keep dragging on and on forever without a conclusion. If the title was clear, then... well, you can imagine the end of the season would feel particularly long for many people. As perhaps the Korea-India-etc race sequence would feel already now.:p:

I think 18 races per season sounds fine as pointed out above.

It is a good question about economic and financial problems, which would create an extra strain for teams. In WRC they reduced the amount of events from 16 to 12 back in 2008-09, because teams/manufacturers couldn't financially cope with such a long calendar. Considering sponsorship opportunities are harder to come by now, I am not sure more races would even open up further sponsorship avenues to cover the costs.

FOM indeed earns some money via selling out the rights to host a Grand Prix, but I am not sure it makes a big difference to the teams.

Langdale Forest
29th September 2013, 21:19
23 is far too many races, 18 - 20 is a good amount.

A FONDO
30th September 2013, 16:30
the more races the better for me. because I skip some of them anyway, like monaco, singapore and I am going to skip russia and austria too. so I can't become overloaded with F1 :bounce:

555-04Q2
30th September 2013, 16:32

Seconded :D

Firstgear
30th September 2013, 17:05
Every second weekend - spring summer & fall puts us at 20 races. That's what I'd like to see. I don't like the back-to-back's or 4 week midseason breaks.

Mark
30th September 2013, 17:16
the more races the better for me. because I skip some of them anyway, like monaco, singapore and I am going to skip russia and austria too. so I can't become overloaded with F1 :bounce:

But if you have less races, you can see all of them and still not be overloaded. :crazy:

schmenke
30th September 2013, 23:35
So will the current regulation of permitting only 8 engines per season be modified? Or is that already off the cards since we have a new engine spec next year? :cornfused:

steveaki13
30th September 2013, 23:51

But if you have less races, you can see all of them and still not be overloaded. :crazy:

This. :laugh: :erm:

henners88
1st October 2013, 08:55
I think there is a possibility that you could have too many races. Its nice to have 2 or 3 week breaks throughout the season especially in the summer months. A race every weekend or every second weekend would not be practical for the teams or many of the fans. I couldn't watch every race purely on logistical terms and much of my family do not share my passion. 18 or 19 races a season is just fine. :)

AndyL
1st October 2013, 11:56
So will the current regulation of permitting only 8 engines per season be modified? Or is that already off the cards since we have a new engine spec next year? :cornfused:

It's down to 5 engines next season!

However the 2014 sporting regs still set the maximum number of races at 20, so on that basis only one of the 3 provisional races can actually be run unless the rules are changed.

steveaki13
1st October 2013, 23:18
I couldn't watch every race purely on logistical terms and much of my family do not share my passion. 18 or 19 races a season is just fine. :)

Then get a new family. :devil: :p

I agree though. It is nice to have a summer break in a way. Didn't used to think that but this season I enjoyed having a breather.

steveaki13
1st October 2013, 23:18
Double post again. :rolleyes:

Oh well. :bounce: :kiss: :dork: :laugh:

truefan72
2nd October 2013, 23:58
22 is a good number for me

N. Jones
6th October 2013, 00:01
Talks of France coming back will bring this number even higher, unless Turkey bows out (it is still true that they are have problems paying the fee?).

Soalstar
10th October 2013, 22:30
A Grand Prix every two weeks would be ideal. However, the teams all take a three week break in the summer, so it doesn't really fit
:|

Mia 01
11th October 2013, 08:47
They also have to make room for two times in season testing next year.