PDA

View Full Version : F1 coverage next season

Soalstar
24th September 2013, 20:03
Does any one know if BBC has any coverage of F1 next year? Sadly, I can't afford Sky and if I could, I probably would not on principle!
Thank you

steveaki13
25th September 2013, 00:04
I don't know, but there are rumours around that because the BBC needs to cut costs it may well axe F1 next season.

Not sure how old these rumours are or if there has been any updates, but if its true then F1 in the UK is going to die a death.

JasonPotato
25th September 2013, 01:13
Hope not, much prefer to watch the BBC coverage, the Sky version is awful in so many ways. Plus i don't plan to pay them an extra £10 so i can watch it in HD!

Mark
25th September 2013, 20:49
I don't know, but there are rumours around that because the BBC needs to cut costs it may well axe F1 next season.

Not sure how old these rumours are or if there has been any updates, but if its true then F1 in the UK is going to die a death.

I hope if they are cutting back they will at least still show highlights.

Mia 01
25th September 2013, 21:18
Since a couple of year we in Seden have to pay wiewing F1.

Parabolica
25th September 2013, 21:31
The BBC doesn't deserve it. They've treated F1 fans like excrement.

I gladly pay for Sky coverage. It's worth every penny.

Sometimes we have to pay for the things we like.

JasonPotato
27th September 2013, 00:04
The coverage on Sky is good and the commentary but everything pre and post race is absolute crap. Ted Kravitz i cannot stand and the silly sky pad thingy. The only people worth listening too are Brundle and Crofty.

Both BBC and Sky have a decent commentary team in my view except when Coulthard gets the drivers mixed up. What lets Sky down for me is the rest of the show and the subscription fees.

henners88
27th September 2013, 09:21
The coverage on Sky is good and the commentary but everything pre and post race is absolute crap. Ted Kravitz i cannot stand and the silly sky pad thingy. The only people worth listening too are Brundle and Crofty.

Both BBC and Sky have a decent commentary team in my view except when Coulthard gets the drivers mixed up. What lets Sky down for me is the rest of the show and the subscription fees.
If the BBC do drop F1 next year you can expect a massive drop in activity on British discussion forums. This place has taken a hit since the present deal and if coverage is taken away, interest disappears naturally. Personally I think F1 needs a wake up call. Its not just the UK where greed for TV money has affected fans choices. Italy has encountered the same issues and are expecting a massive dive in viewing figures. With any luck that'll affect spectators at Monza like the UK experienced at Silverstone this year. I think this is the first British GP I can remember where tickets were being given away in the final week.

Sky have pretty poor viewing figures and the BBC are still the most important influence in this country in terms of delivering it to fans. If it disappears off FTA, we'll have another cricket situation. A niche sport pushed even further into obscurity.

JasonPotato
27th September 2013, 11:02
God forbid but is it possible BT Sport could get in on the act?

Mark
27th September 2013, 11:11
It's true that even I've had less interest in F1 since the coverage changed, although it could have to do with different pressures on my Sundays, being a day for cycling, garden centres, national trust properties and 3 hours in the middle of a Sunday is far too precious. In reality if every race was a 90 minute highlights programme shown at 5pm I'd be happy with that :)

555-04Q2
27th September 2013, 11:44
It's true that even I've had less interest in F1 since the coverage changed, although it could have to do with different pressures on my Sundays, being a day for cycling, garden centres, national trust properties and 3 hours in the middle of a Sunday is far too precious. In reality if every race was a 90 minute highlights programme shown at 5pm I'd be happy with that :)

What you need my friend is DSTV :)

henners88
27th September 2013, 11:48
I'm coming around to the highlights situation although I'd much rather be able to record a race and just watch it later in the day at my leisure. Highlights serve a purpose if they are the only option and if it all went that way, I could come to terms with it I suppose. With races like Singapore it was good having highlights as the race itself was duller than a butty in the Valleys. Races with safety cars are good for highlights too as they tend to cut out the laps wasted and you see a fair chunk of the action. My only annoyance is sometimes I am ready to watch them before they are on. Still, I am very good at avoiding the results and have been doing that for years now with only a couple of spoilers to date. During the ITV era I hardly ever watched a race live simply because the adverts couldn't be skipped through quickly enough. I'd much rather be spending the prime hours of a Sunday with my family than being home alone watching a GP while they are out having fun too. Lets hope the BBC don't lose complete interest.