PDA

View Full Version : Time for a review of F1 aerodynamics?

webberf1
22nd September 2013, 04:32
In 2009, Formula One made (IMO) a major step forward in mandating a simplification of the aerodynamic elements on the cars. Just look at this 2008 vs 2009 comparison for a stark example:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 08_top.jpg (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ferrari_f60_f2008_top.jpg)

The key advantage of this was that by simplifying the aerodynamics, it reduced the cars' negative susceptibility to losing aerodynamic efficiency when trailing other cars (a.k.a. being in the 'dirty air') - hence making it easier for cars to follow each other closely and improve racing standards. As well as this, it presumably reduced development costs as well as made the cars more visually attractive (lets face it, the 2008 cars looked like mutant freaks).

However, its now easy to see overly-complex aerodynamic elements rearing their ugly head again. Just look at the RBR front wing illustration I'm attaching below for an example. I'm arguing that new regulation comes in once more to bring these aero elements back to basics. I for one would be totally fine if we saw a return to something like the very simple design of the early 90s machines with straight-forward aero and no hideous winglets all over the place: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... a_1991.jpg (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/asenn_mcla_1991.jpg)

http://www.formula1.com/wi/full/ta_article/ta_article_1010.jpg

Mark
22nd September 2013, 09:13
Absolutely. Standard wings were proposed and although I wouldn't wish to see that there could be a rule where there is a single continuous surface.

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 09:46
I agree, aero is one of the major issues F1 faces. As we have all seen before it is beginning to make cars so hard to pass again, in normal circumstances. I don't take DRS into consideration because I hate it and the underlying issue should always have been tackled first.

Standardised wings isn't the answer in my opinion, however as Mark said, regulations limiting the front & Rear Wings to simple designs.

Will it ever happen?

Mark
22nd September 2013, 12:00
It's already happened to a large extent they just need I take it further.

Rollo
22nd September 2013, 15:39
Standardised wings isn't the answer in my opinion, however as Mark said, regulations limiting the front & Rear Wings to simple designs.

Will it ever happen?

Standardised wings isn't the answer in my opinion either but rather, to get rid of them altogether. Ban wings.

Formula Fords without wings produce racing in which the skills of the drivers come to the fore more; also because they aren't as dependent of the aero of the cars, they tend to run far closer nose to tail.

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 15:44
I could go with that Rollo.

big_sw2000
25th September 2013, 14:07

Will it ever happen?

Standardised wings isn't the answer in my opinion either but rather, to get rid of them altogether. Ban wings.

Formula Fords without wings produce racing in which the skills of the drivers come to the fore more; also because they aren't as dependent of the aero of the cars, they tend to run far closer nose to tail.

Formula Fords have wings, as from the 2013 season.

Steve

Mark
25th September 2013, 14:46
It's possible to produce wings which don't really do anything, thus you can maintain the look of the cars without producing downforce.

Rollo
25th September 2013, 15:39
Formula Fords have wings, as from the 2013 season.

Steve

Hello GNER, can I book a train ticket to the London Lord Mayor's Parade this weekend? There's going to be some extra booing going on... BOOOOO BOOOOO.
- Ross Noble

airshifter
26th September 2013, 04:16
I don't see a problem allowing room for wings such as we have now. Every time a new spec is created, it allows further understanding of aerodynamics and what they can do to maintain greater downforce. If we take too much downforce from F1 it loses one of the major aspects that keeps it unique IMO. The more recent specs involving diffusers got rid of most of the "dirty air" wake and passing it much easier than it was for many years.

I don't want F1 to become a lower spec series... otherwise it's no longer the pinnacle of road racing.

dj_bytedisaster
26th September 2013, 07:15
The only reason why everybody now demands the aero to be revised, is because nobody except Adrian Newey is getting the job done. It's a classical case of giving up trying to catch up and instead asking the best to be dumbed down. That's not what F1 is all about. They're supposed to be at the bleeding edge of technology. Instead, now the dumb kids try to have the smart ones tripped, so they can keep up. Ridiculous.

555-04Q2
26th September 2013, 09:50
The only reason why everybody now demands the aero to be revised, is because nobody except Adrian Newey is getting the job done. It's a classical case of giving up trying to catch up and instead asking the best to be dumbed down. That's not what F1 is all about. They're supposed to be at the bleeding edge of technology. Instead, now the dumb kids try to have the smart ones tripped, so they can keep up. Ridiculous.

Well yes and no. I preferred the days where mechanical grip was the order of the day, not aero grip. Back then we saw cars sliding all over the place and often the quickest way round a lap was to have the tail hanging out in every corner. We had fat back tyres and tiny front tyres. Those really were the good old days :)

dj_bytedisaster
26th September 2013, 12:56
Well yes and no. I preferred the days where mechanical grip was the order of the day, not aero grip. Back then we saw cars sliding all over the place and often the quickest way round a lap was to have the tail hanging out in every corner. We had fat back tyres and tiny front tyres. Those really were the good old days :)

But we also saw drivers killed in test sessions or burning to death on the start-finish straight. How about, NO?

zako85
26th September 2013, 13:37
I completely agree with dj_bytedisaster. Aero is the wave of future. You can't fight it. Ever wonder why every single leading North American midsize sedan looks the same except for some minor artsy differences? Ever wonder why Honda Insight and Toyota Prius hybrids look the same? Aerodynamics are HUGE to production cars AND sports cars. I feel dismayed every time I read on F1 forums aero being discussed disparagingly. "Look what F1 has become.. a battle of aero designs.. it's not like in the days back 3-4 decades ago when it used to be a battle of engines (or something else), back when we all were clueless about the aerodynamics". HELLO. This stuff matters a lot in real world these days. These guys are insane. What? Are you sure F1 cars are supposed to be like Formula Ford with a 700HP engine? This is a joke. Aero is more relevant to sports and road cars than it has ever been. Therefore, personally, I am really against introducing any sort of regulations that try to standardize the aerodynamic elements of F1 cars, be it wings or something else. DRS? Fine. I won't lose sleep if it was erased.

555-04Q2
26th September 2013, 13:44
[quote="555-04Q2":qbrr6j9e]

But we also saw drivers killed in test sessions or burning to death on the start-finish straight. How about, NO?[/quote:qbrr6j9e]

With yesteryears mechanical grip cars and todays modern ultra safety features that F1 deploys it would not be an issue like it was in those days :)

zako85
26th September 2013, 13:50
I agree, aero is one of the major issues F1 faces. As we have all seen before it is beginning to make cars so hard to pass again, in normal circumstances. I don't take DRS into consideration because I hate it and the underlying issue should always have been tackled first.

Will it ever happen?

Aero doesn't make it hard to pass a car on a straight line. If you're close enough, passing on a long straight shouldn't be a problem if the cars are otherwise equal. This is why I kind of dislike DRS. In IndyCar, GT cars, NASCAR, and many other motorsports the leading car is basically a sitting duck on a straight. That's why I personally think the DRS is completely superfluous and useless.

555-04Q2
27th September 2013, 07:10
That's why I personally think the DRS is completely superfluous and useless.

Amen brother :)

Mia 01
27th September 2013, 07:16
Less wings, moore mechanical grip as the F1 racing was in the seventies, Ronnies time, I want it back.

But, the rules are the same for all teams.