PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Singapore Grand Prix Thread

webberf1
21st September 2013, 08:17
Surprised there was no thread already so I thought I'd start it.

Very strange seeing such a massive outright performance gap between the option and prime tyres! Some teams are reporting up to 3 seconds gap in lap times. Red Bull (and to a lesser extent Mercedes) have good pace, but with such emphasis on the options, perhaps it might just bring teams like Lotus and Ferrari who are easier on the tyre wear into play slightly more? Making the options work for a couple more laps will be crucial.

I'm also tipping qualifying to throw up a few shock exits after Q1 and Q2... the top teams trying to enter the next round using the primes will likely run perilously close to missing the cut.

jens
21st September 2013, 10:26
To be entirely honest, after almost clinching up fourth WDC I am starting to get tired of Vettel's dominance too by now. Maybe the Belgian and Italian GP's had a bad effect on the mood, because not much was going on. Maybe also because the whole grid has been similar for many years already. Alonso is runner-up again, Hamilton, Webber, Räikkönen somewhere after them.

But 2014 is close, let's see if the engines bring some new life to F1.:)

About the Singaporean Grand Prix. Alonso was struggling at Monaco and Hungary, he was struggling at Singapore last year. So this could be one of Ferrari's worst circuits based on evidence.

webberf1
21st September 2013, 11:04
To be entirely honest, after almost clinching up fourth WDC I am starting to get tired of Vettel's dominance too by now. Maybe the Belgian and Italian GP's had a bad effect on the mood, because not much was going on. Maybe also because the whole grid has been similar for many years already. Alonso is runner-up again, Hamilton, Webber, Räikkönen somewhere after them.

About the Singaporean Grand Prix. Alonso was struggling at Monaco and Hungary, he was struggling at Singapore last year. So this could be one of Ferrari's worst circuits based on evidence.
Meh, we can't expect every championship to go down to the wire. Lets just enjoy whatever comes up in the remainder of this one, then look forward to the next.

A FONDO
21st September 2013, 11:50
I watched the second practice yesterday and it was depressing to see how big the differences were among the teams. The third FP session starts soon so I hope they have found something after the data analyses this night, coz if it stays the same I will not watch in Sunday

tfp
21st September 2013, 18:59
I'm guessing a bring a boring race tomorrow ...

jens
21st September 2013, 19:08
Meh, we can't expect every championship to go down to the wire. Lets just enjoy whatever comes up in the remainder of this one, then look forward to the next.

Yeah, that's a good thing to do. In addition Singapore should be an above-average race by F1 standards with a relatively high probability of a safety car. So even if tyres are durable enough to enable single-stop-races and teams are pretty well spread out, we could still get some action.

About qualifying. Perhaps best performance of the season by Grosjean so far yet. Looking forward to see him keeping up in the race. Reminiscent of how Maldonado was a surprise second last year. Anyway, a bit surprising to see Maldonado himself and di Resta - who usually is very good at Singapore - getting knocked out in Q1.

Hamilton having a bit of a bad patch - second weekend in a row not panning out perfectly. Webber, to my knowledge he has never gone particularly well at Singapore.

Vettel - well I think this was an example of a performance by a driver, who complements a great car with a great performance. Well out of reach, well ahead of his team-mate.Though it turned out to be a bit risky not to go out for the final attempt.

N. Jones
21st September 2013, 21:50
Looks like another boring race. Vettel moves away on lap one and everyone else drives around the circuit a few times.
You can talk all you want about last year. THIS isn't last year!

keysersoze
21st September 2013, 22:08
Our best hope will be for the safety car to make an appearance to throw a wrench in the proceedings.

I will say that having Gutierrez grid 10th could lead to an interesting opening lap. Despite his struggles, he's often had some stunning launches this season.

steveaki13
21st September 2013, 22:38

Im with you Jens.

F1 is a bit same-y these days. We need 2014 to jumble the order and events and provide a different winner

steveaki13
21st September 2013, 22:40
Good jobs in Quali, by Seb, Nico & Esteban

Tazio
21st September 2013, 23:48

Im with you Jens.

F1 is a bit same-y these days. We need 2014 to jumble the order and events and provide a different winner
That's why some people should not discount Ferrari, especially Mercedes homers!
Best wishes,
http://i.imgur.com/hQh99.jpg;!
:dork: :sailor:

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 09:35
These two teams you mention are the most likely, but Red Bull is making these all look silly at the mo.

Maybe they need to find some top secret Red Bull documents. :devil:

Tazio
22nd September 2013, 10:43
Maybe they need to find some top secret Red Bull documents. :devil:
Yeah, :idea: maybe Trudy Coughlan could be of assistance in this arena :smurf: :burp:
Best wishes,
http://i46.tinypic.com/hv9ul3.gif

P.S. :laugh:

Ranger
22nd September 2013, 10:46
The race usually goes the full 2 hours so hopefully it will be interesting.

Mia 01
22nd September 2013, 12:25
Nico did very well yesterday, Seb escaped with a bit of luck only.
Have to give it to him, Grosjean did very well!

Hope Kimi can drive the long and bumpy race today, the nerves in his back will be a terrible pain.

jens
22nd September 2013, 12:53
Im with you Jens.

Recently I was watching the beginning of the 2005 Australian Grand Prix. And it was quite astonishing to watch the running order. In front there were your usual midfield runners: Fisichella, Trulli, Coulthard, Webber, Heidfeld, Klien. While expected championship rivals M.Schumacher and Räikkönen were battling for 15th, highly rated Alonso was 10th, another at the time highly-rated Montoya 7th, the second driver of the usual super-Ferrari Barrichello 8th. You could be excused for thinking "what the hell is this?"

And of course we remember 2009, when the expected front-runners Hamilton, Alonso, Massa, Räikkönen, Kubica were all in midfield.

Imagine the start of the 2014 season. Vettel and Alonso battle for P13, Hamilton and Räikkönen for P11. Meanwhile at the front Maldonado leads from Pérez, di Resta, Hülkenberg, Sutil and Bottas.

It would be refreshing for F1 for once.:D Though in 2012 a couple of races weren't far from such order. :p

donKey jote
22nd September 2013, 13:50
hay gurlz :D

go gro ! :bandit:

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 14:00
hey donks

veeten
Roll off lap...
Morning, folks. :)

Koz
Hi!

Grosjean and Webber to collied?

veeten
22nd September 2013, 14:02
Here we.... GOOOOOOOO!!! :D

webberf1
22nd September 2013, 14:08
Thanks for ruining the ****ing race Nico.

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 14:12
5 laps in boys, lets turn everything down and finish in this order.

Ranger
22nd September 2013, 14:15
Only an hour and 45 minutes more to watch Vettel manage a 6-10 second gap in front of the field. :erm:

veeten
22nd September 2013, 14:16
Well, he tried. Which is more than can be said for most of the others out there.

And even if he didn't, Vettel would've ran away with the start unchallenged. It was necessary.

A FONDO
22nd September 2013, 14:16
"maintain a 2-seconds gap to Alonso" - seems like this is enough for me for this session, see you again on the next race.

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 14:21
know how you feel. I miss racing in F1.

I'd rather have F1 as an ungreen racers sport, than this green conservative procession.

dj_bytedisaster
22nd September 2013, 14:38
Pretty much predictable race so far, but where the heck did Alonso take this start from?? If there were points for the best start, he'd be a 5 times champion by now. :eek:

donKey jote
22nd September 2013, 14:40
that pit stop very costly for Alonso :-s
stoopid diResta :p

donKey jote
22nd September 2013, 14:41
Alo losing ~1 sec per lap for ages now :mad:

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 14:42
Nico Hukkenberg proving stewards are a joke. He was ahead of Perez, Perez had a go and made small contact with Hulkenberg pushing Nico wide and then has to give a place up.

F1 is pushing me to my wits end, its becoming so soft. No racing, no contact allowed, no battling allowed by teams, engineers deciding when drivers race????????????

This cant be right

veeten
22nd September 2013, 14:50
Ricciardo into the wall. Gee, thanks... :s

donKey jote
22nd September 2013, 15:02
stoooopid SC rules, lets all wait for Bianchi shall we? :dozey:

ShiftingGears
22nd September 2013, 15:04
Terrible circuit, terrible rules, and so far, terrible race.

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 15:12
I have enjoyed previous Singapore races, but the increasing interference from teams in how and when drivers can push is the problem coupled with rules as you say.

Ranger
22nd September 2013, 15:13
Vettel's lead was back out to 5.5 seconds on the second lap after the safety car.

Good for him, not really conducive to exciting racing.

dj_bytedisaster
22nd September 2013, 15:20
Vettel the only one, who's not told to go slow and he's 2 second faster than anyone else lap after lap. This looks more ridiculous than NASCRAP.

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 15:21
No one wants to see such domination.

However at least we are seeing Seb pushing hard and actually driving a F1 car on the limit. I would rather see that than 10 cars cruising around holding position.

Seb is racing and thus is man of the race for me. No one else appears willing to try. I know aero rules don't help but nether the less.

Rollo
22nd September 2013, 15:22
Let's call this a Quatrefoil for Vettel - Win, Pole, Led Every Lap & Fastest Lap

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 15:22
Vettel the only one, who's not told to go slow and he's 2 second faster than anyone else lap after lap. This looks more ridiculous than NASCRAP.

Agree. F1 is a farce

donKey jote
22nd September 2013, 15:44
Alo's tyres fading... Web Ros & Ham might catch him yet :dozey:

dj_bytedisaster
22nd September 2013, 15:50
KIMI :eek: that was a STONKING great overtake!!

donKey jote
22nd September 2013, 15:50
balls... SC lottery again ?

veeten
22nd September 2013, 15:52
and diResta does a nose-over into the wall. :p

veeten
22nd September 2013, 15:54
no safety car?... Yay!!!! :D

donKey jote
22nd September 2013, 15:55
^^ like !

Tazio
22nd September 2013, 15:58
Felipe baby :p:

Ranger
22nd September 2013, 15:59
...aaaaaaand Webber's gearbox packs it in just after passing 5 cars.

donKey jote
22nd September 2013, 16:02
wrong gearbox, but neat podium anyway :D

Tazio
22nd September 2013, 16:03
Another brilliant race by Fred

truefan72
22nd September 2013, 16:04
nico held up Hamilton
consider this malaysia repaid
SMH
if they had released hamilton he would have had both webber and kimi

donKey jote
22nd September 2013, 16:05
Webb finally lands a drive in Ferrari :p

veeten
22nd September 2013, 16:06
great gesture by Fred, giving Mark a ride back to the paddock. :)

truefan72
22nd September 2013, 16:07
oh well

both kimi and Alonso did brilliantly
with a bit of different strategy, Mercedes could have been 2 & 3
might as well start figuring out 2014 campaign because this championship is over
RBR car is too strong. our only hope is with the radical new rules of next year it will even things out.

Tazio
22nd September 2013, 16:13
Mia, is that Fred or Felipe on the podium? :confused: ;)

donKey jote
22nd September 2013, 16:16
Fred is so scared he won't be wanted by McLaren, he finally put his foot down ;)

jens
22nd September 2013, 16:28
Better race than Belgium or Italy. The second half of the race was really exciting with the Webber group catching drivers in front.

I have to say that for once Vettel-RBR domination actually looked special. He could put in 2-3s per lap wherever he wanted. This was even a bigger domination than he usually has had. This domination seemed to be right up there with the biggest dry-race dominations in the history, with some better Mansell's races in 1992, McLaren-Australia-1998, and others. That's why it looked unique. Vettel pulling away and then a long way behind having a 10-car-train seemed sort of illustrious of the state of the game. Only a shame that Red Bull never manages a 1-2 finish with that...

Good effort by Alonso and Räikkönen to maximize the strategy. Pity about Grosjean - it looks as though as he lost a podium. Pity about McLaren - they overestimated their tyre-wear rates. Mercedes could have done better as well. And with that crash di Resta cost Force India a golden chance to still keep fighting with McLaren in WCC.

Whyzars
22nd September 2013, 17:09
Singapore is always an interesting race. The cars do look brilliant under lights so I enjoy this round if for nothing else than the visuals.

I have to ask as I was making a cuppa for both incidents - what happened to Ricciardo and what happened to cause Grosjean to have that horrendous stop?

Tazio
22nd September 2013, 18:45
I think Rogro had a pressure loss in the gas reservoir used to actuate the pneumatic valves. Didn't they also say over Kimi's radio that he was having "voltage problems"? Lotus may be just falling apart. Was there a technical reason for why Ricciardo had such a bad start, and kind of’ just sucked today?

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd September 2013, 18:58
great gesture by Fred, giving Mark a ride back to the paddock. :)

Both have received reprimands and as a result it means Mark is given a 10 place grid penalty for the next race.

Well done FIA. Well done indeed. :rolleyes:

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 19:23
Jesus. FIA are a joke.

Webber must be ready to quit F1 right now.

Oh well another reason for me to loose a little more love with F1.

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 19:26
I have to say that for once Vettel-RBR domination actually looked special. He could put in 2-3s per lap wherever he wanted. This was even a bigger domination than he usually has had. This domination seemed to be right up there with the biggest dry-race dominations in the history, with some better Mansell's races in 1992, McLaren-Australia-1998, and others. That's why it looked unique. Vettel pulling away and then a long way behind having a 10-car-train seemed sort of illustrious of the state of the game. Only a shame that Red Bull never manages a 1-2 finish with that...

I have to say as bizzare as it may sound I would liked to have seen Vettel be able to push all race and see how far ahead he could have gotten.

Mind you I would like to see everyone push hard all day.

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 19:27
I enjoyed the second half of the race, but the first 40 laps were tedious again

henners88
22nd September 2013, 19:29
I very nearly turned it off to play GTA and had that feeling something was going to happen. It didn't, so now to turn on the PS3 and make up for lost time.

Sent from my ?

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 19:45
Henners..... Your back. :bounce: :)

henners88
22nd September 2013, 20:47
;)

Sent from my ?

Tazio
22nd September 2013, 21:13
;)

Sent from my ?
The Boss had a tough race, but drove well!!

henners88
22nd September 2013, 21:43
He sure did. Upbeat at the end too when interviewed. The season is over now really. It's just constructors points to play for now.

Sent from my ?

Parabolica
22nd September 2013, 22:46
I don't understand why a fan of F1 would not watch.

steveaki13
22nd September 2013, 23:11
He sure did. Upbeat at the end too when interviewed. The season is over now really. It's just constructors points to play for now.

Sent from my :skull: ?

I think Lewis can view his season as a success to date. He has matched and beaten Nico, during his first season at Mercedes. He has moved the team forward to regular winners and I am sure Mercedes will fancy next year with Engines being key.

All in all a good season to win and score lots of points and now aim to really challenge for the 2014 championship.

Finski
23rd September 2013, 04:51
Impressive race by kimi, he seems to be really good with tyres. Certainly didn't expect to see him even near the podium this race.

555-04Q2
23rd September 2013, 08:20
Well the safety car session tried to make a race of it, but in the end, Seb was just too bloody fast for everyone else. Looks like The Shoes records are gonna tumble at some stage :shock:

Parabolica
23rd September 2013, 08:34
It is really sad that some so-called F1 fans think that seeing excellence is boring.

I suspect that, were their favourites to be as successful, they would have no issues.

Perhaps it has something to do with the sense of entitlement that is prevalent in the Facebook generation.

It certainly is not Vettel's fault.

henners88
23rd September 2013, 08:41

Sent from my :skull: ?

I think Lewis can view his season as a success to date. He has matched and beaten Nico, during his first season at Mercedes. He has moved the team forward to regular winners and I am sure Mercedes will fancy next year with Engines being key.

All in all a good season to win and score lots of points and now aim to really challenge for the 2014 championship.
He's certainly made the transition a lot better than I expected. He didn't do as well as his team mate in qualy, but maintained a solid points finish. The gap isn't huge and the season still has a few races to go. Lewis could still be beaten by Nico, but that would be no disaster. I would to see a solid Mercedes package next year where both drivers have confidence. A podium in Korea is the most realistic expectation in the next race and hopefully based on what we have seen, either Merc driver can accomplish that.

Sent from my ?

555-04Q2
23rd September 2013, 08:44
It is really sad that some so-called F1 fans think that seeing excellence is boring.

I suspect that, were their favourites to be as successful, they would have no issues.

Perhaps it has something to do with the sense of entitlement that is prevalent in the Facebook generation.

Quite true! It's sad to hear people booing Seb on the podium. For heavens sake fans, the guy is doing what he's employed to do and doing it well. Congratulate the guy for doing what the others aren't, delivering results.

SGWilko
23rd September 2013, 09:42

The least sentence is incorrect IMO. I will agree Vettel is very good indeed, but he deserves all the ill feeling due to his impetulence, team order fiasco's, and the general impression certain factors within the RB team give that Vettel is mollycoddled.

I agree with everything else however, and am not saying Vettel is rubbish, because he isn't. But he has had his cake and continues to eat it......

steveaki13
23rd September 2013, 10:05
yum yum cake!!

555-04Q2
23rd September 2013, 10:34

The least sentence is incorrect IMO. I will agree Vettel is very good indeed, but he deserves all the ill feeling due to his impetulence, team order fiasco's, and the general impression certain factors within the RB team give that Vettel is mollycoddled.

I agree with everything else however, and am not saying Vettel is rubbish, because he isn't. But he has had his cake and continues to eat it......

He's doing what The Shoe did, getting his team behind him, believing in him, putting in the effort, getting results and succeeding beyond expectations! As far as I'm concerned, Seb deserves big Kudo's for that.

F1 is about winning. It's not how you win or why you win, the name of the game is getting to the top step every race, nothing else matters. F1 is a business remember, and RBR is winning. They are a successful business. Can't fault them for that.

555-04Q2
23rd September 2013, 10:35
yum yum cake!!

Yip, and RBR is eating it!

Mia 01
23rd September 2013, 10:41
People booing the winner of a race are (in my uneducated opinion) non thinking non educated fools.

Sent from somewhere near Glotka in the troubled city Dagoska.

dj_bytedisaster
23rd September 2013, 10:44

Complete rubbish, IMHO. Rehashing Malaysia without mentioning Silverstone '11 is just pure selective amnesia. Mark got exactly what he dished out two years prior. If anything, it was the team's fault. Asking a three times world champion to gift away 7 points, when he won two of his titles by less than that, in the second race of the year is ridiculous. And the notion of Vettel having violated a pre-race agreement is a lie fed to English media by Mark and his fiancé Ann. Horner admitted as much recently.
They both have the same car, had roughly the same number of technical and strategical maladies over the years, so the only difference is that Vettel delivers and Mark doesn't. The only real instance of Vettel being favoured was 'wing-gate' at Silverstone '10.

Mia 01
23rd September 2013, 10:55
Even if it´s hard to accept, even I do admit that my driver have to settle behind the superior Seb this and last year.

Next year is a new game.

555-04Q2
23rd September 2013, 11:09
The new cars, regs etc for 2014 should make for a closer season...we hope!

henners88
23rd September 2013, 11:48
Seb and Red Bull are doing an amazing job and its a package every driver on the grid dreams of having. That doesn't mean I have to enjoy watching them run away every season. It has nothing to do with nationality and nothing annoys me more than seeing it stated that its because he is 'German that people don't like him'. Get off the high horse and understand that not everything is about nationality. I want to see somebody else win next season. It doesn't have to be my favourite drivers, just so long as there is a bit more of an uncertainty over the outcome. I'm not going to be bitter if it doesn't happen, I just don't take so much of an interest. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, that's sport. If fans are getting annoyed because their favourite driver is not getting the kudos they feel he deserves within the on-line communities well, you can't force people to enjoy something if their gut feelings say otherwise. Seb deserves the results I don't deny that.

555-04Q2
23rd September 2013, 12:39
Seb and Red Bull are doing an amazing job and its a package every driver on the grid dreams of having. That doesn't mean I have to enjoy watching them run away every season. It has nothing to do with nationality and nothing annoys me more than seeing it stated that its because he is 'German that people don't like him'. Get off the high horse and understand that not everything is about nationality. I want to see somebody else win next season. It doesn't have to be my favourite drivers, just so long as there is a bit more of an uncertainty over the outcome. I'm not going to be bitter if it doesn't happen, I just don't take so much of an interest. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, that's sport. If fans are getting annoyed because their favourite driver is not getting the kudos they feel he deserves within the on-line communities well, you can't force people to enjoy something if their gut feelings say otherwise. Seb deserves the results I don't deny that.

I don't see the problem? Who cares who wins? There are so many good battles from second downwards that we still get entertained with some great racing :)

henners88
23rd September 2013, 12:49

I don't see the problem? Who cares who wins? There are so many good battles from second downwards that we still get entertained with some great racing :)
The irony is all the coverage at the moment shows all the battles further down the field. It would be nice to see some of those battles be for the lead every now and then. Its not a problem for me, I just stated my opinion on it :)

Mark
23rd September 2013, 12:51
It's often stated when someone is dominant that battles further down are just as good. But there is nothing like a battle for the lead.

henners88
23rd September 2013, 13:15
It's often stated when someone is dominant that battles further down are just as good. But there is nothing like a battle for the lead.
Indeed. Even if Vettel won by spending the last 20 laps defending against a Ferrari, McLaren or a Mercedes. The last few races have seen Vettel turning his car down and cruising towards the end. Its fantastic for his fans and I can admire what an excellent job they are doing, but it all seems too easy for them. It would be nice to see a race and think, wow the winner really worked hard for that! As it stands, the drivers who stand out as driving brilliantly seem to be in second, third, fourth or fifth place. The winner gets the trophy and the boo's, and the hero's get the applause.

555-04Q2
23rd September 2013, 13:55

I disagree, good racing is good racing, no matter if it's for first place or last place. But that is just my opinion, and to quote my wife, "your opinion doesn't count, dear". :p:

henners88
23rd September 2013, 13:56

I disagree, good racing is good racing, no matter if it's for first place or last place. But that is just my opinion, and to quote my wife, "your opinion doesn't count, dear". :p:
That is the beauty of F1. We all have different opinions on how we are entertained. There is no correct method. :)

555-04Q2
23rd September 2013, 13:59

That is the beauty of F1. We all have different opinions on how we are entertained. There is no correct method. :)

Correct :D

zako85
23rd September 2013, 14:11
I don't know about others, but I always enjoyed watching the Singapore GP. Despite being a street course, there is lots action with minimal yellows. It's surprising that such good flow is achieved with a race track built on city streets. Singapore at night provides a nice backdrop to the race, better than Abu Dhabi (not to mention better action).

It's sad to see the battle for the championship wrapping up so early, but I will certainly enjoy watching the rest of this season since the action in the field is always good. And remember, this is the end of a quarter century long era of naturally aspirated engines that started with 3.5L motors in the late 80s.

555-04Q2
23rd September 2013, 14:15
I don't know about others, but I always enjoyed watching the Singapore GP. Despite being a street course, there is lots action with minimal yellows. It's surprising that such good flow is achieved with a race track built on city streets. Singapore at night provides a nice backdrop to the race, better than Abu Dhabi (not to mention better action).

I agree with you. It's the best street circuit on the calendar. And as you stated, it has a great backdrop to it too :)

Tazio
23rd September 2013, 15:06
Agree, I enjoy the races when there is good action down the field but it is diminished a little without a fight for the win IMHO.

Mia 01
23rd September 2013, 16:40
Even 2010 and 2011 I followed F1 closley. There´s always some sort of drama each race, and, you can always cheer for Jenson Button!

Parabolica
23rd September 2013, 20:14

Who mentioned nationality?

Not me.

Perhaps you should dismount your equine mount before
demanding others get off their non-existant stress?

There was plenty of racing going on in Singapore, with lots of interest. That the winner was in a class of one is not a reason for an enthusiast of the sport to turn off.

It seems odd not to want to enjoy racing, even if the race for victory is not close.

For me, the only reason it seems for a fan not to enjoy a GP is because their favourite doesn't get near to victory.

That is sad. It makes no sense to me.

But I am a Ferrari fan for 40 years, so I know both victory and abject failure, so perhaps I am immune.

Parabolica
23rd September 2013, 20:34
Stress?

Should have been Steed.

Smart phone, Stupid owner.

Dave B
23rd September 2013, 21:18
Or, in Singapore, nothing like watching fancy fireworks while the battles further down still unfold :s

henners88
23rd September 2013, 21:21
Or, in Singapore, nothing like watching fancy fireworks while the battles further down still unfold :s
Yeah that annoyed me. Vettel crossed the line and the battles between the Mercedes drivers was cut away from. We didn't even see Alonso cross the line as the camera feed was too busy filming the fantastic fireworks the city had paid for!

Sent from my ?

jens
27th September 2013, 13:42
It just dawned me, how our dear friend Garry Walker has been massively underestimating Red Bull and Newey. He was always saying their car was 1 second per lap faster than the rest of the field, but it turns out it is actually 3 seconds faster.:p

jens
27th September 2013, 14:08
Wanted to say one more thing. Colin Chapman once allegedly said that the perfect race car is one which falls into pieces after the race. It looks like Adrian Newey is closest to this philosophy as during in both Italian and Singapore GP's we have heard Webber and Vettel get told to really conserve and save the car towards the end to make it to the finish. It looks obvious the car design is really on the limit, which makes it very fast, but requires a very gentle and smooth driving style to make it both go fast and last, one which Vettel has mastered.

steveaki13
28th September 2013, 00:19
Havent heard much from Mr Walker lately.

Anyway its clear that Red Bull have found something massive since the summer break. I am pretty out of the technical loop. Any idea what it might be.

The fact is that Seb & the Bull have suddenly stepped up to 2011 levels of dominance and can only seem him winning 4 or 5 of the last 6 races if things stay like this.

dj_bytedisaster
29th September 2013, 20:44
Anyway its clear that Red Bull have found something massive since the summer break. I am pretty out of the technical loop. Any idea what it might be.

The main step forward seems to be that they can now runlower wing setting and still keep their high levels of downforce. Effectively they reduced their perennial top speed deficit, which allowed them to win on high-speed track like Spa and Monza where they didn't always do well in the past.

Tazio
30th September 2013, 15:25

The main step forward seems to be that they can now runlower wing setting and still keep their high levels of downforce. Effectively they reduced their perennial top speed deficit, which allowed them to win on high-speed track like Spa and Monza where they didn't always do well in the past.
Which by some has been attributed to improvements in their diffuser, and also suggestions that they have found a clever way of off throttle blowing to help them accelerate through corners that is within the rules.

An interesting read in my opinnion:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/09/a ... e-to-stay/ (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/09/analysis-vettels-astonishing-speed-in-singapore-here-to-stay/)

The key to this is that Red Bull has done a lot of work on traction out of low speed corners. On average, across all the tracks in the F1 championship, 25% of the lap time is spent below 130km/h on corner exits. It is the most significant single area to focus on. So if you can make a significant gain in that area, you can get effectively a 25% improvement, which will show in your lap time.

Singapore is an extreme example as it has 23 corners and many of them are below 130km/h – so all the gain Red Bull has been working for will show up on a track like that. This will be less the case in Suzuka, which is a fast, flowing circuit, but it will probably show up in the first and final sectors in Korea, which will be pretty good to the team. Much of the work has gone on in the diffuser area, which generates the key downforce for the low speed corners in conjunction with the exhausts, although off-throttle blowing (where the throttle stays open even when the driver lifts off) is banned.

Also contributing to Red Bull’s dominance in the corner exit area is work they have done in the wind tunnel on high steer characteristics, when the car is turning and in yaw (ie leaning). Red Bull chassis have always had very high amounts of downforce, but here they’ve worked to ensure that it isn’t just about high load, it’s about the stability of the load, which is a big focus. Red Bull has always been able to push the diffuser hard in the high speed corners, the key to their speed now is that they have tuned it to work at low speed.

Also helping them is the Pirelli move to the harder specification tyres, since Hungary. They have won three of the four races on the new spec tyres. Beyond that, like Mercedes they have done work on the inside of the wheel rims in the field of thermal management and heat rejection. The slots and texturing in the magnesium alloy rims work on flow through the rim. It’s a complex piece of work and quite expensive to do, but it helps with managing the temperature of these tricky Pirelli tyres.

This thermal management work has allowed Vettel to run a longer first stint than his rivals and to balance out his stops perfectly in recent races.

555-04Q2
30th September 2013, 16:26
It just dawned me, how our dear friend Garry Walker has been massively underestimating Red Bull and Newey. He was always saying their car was 1 second per lap faster than the rest of the field, but it turns out it is actually 3 seconds faster.:p

:rotflmao:

Mia 01
30th September 2013, 17:00

:rotflmao:

Ha ha ha. Wrong, he is right about the car, the rest is Seb :eek: