PDA

View Full Version : You're Time at Motorsport Forums

steveaki13
12th September 2013, 14:13
I was playing around with the new look forum and stumbled across all my posts. I went back 3,500 posts ago and found my first post was in a Driver of the day thread.

Giving the award to none other than Seb Vettel. Nothing much has changed then. :rolleyes:

Anyway after 5 posts in June & July 2009, I didn't post again until Feb 2010.

From then on I haven't looked back.
Anyway It was strange looking at my early posts.

Just wondered if anyone else has done that or has memories of anything about Motorsport Forums in general.

gadjo_dilo
12th September 2013, 14:23
I did it last night and felt ashamed for being an old nostalgic. :p

555-04Q2
12th September 2013, 14:55
Every now and then I go back and check some of the older posts of mine. Nothings changed though, I still post a lot of cr@p just like before :p:

airshifter
12th September 2013, 15:50
I have no idea what my first posts were... it won't let me go back that far.

When I first joined the forum it was through another site and I can't even remember the name of it. That site had issues and went down on a regular basis, so for quite some time I wasn't posting here. I later found the forums again doing a search and realized it was the same one. There aren't many F1 followers hers in the US, so that was my primary interest. I don't think I posted in Chit Chat for quite some time.

steveaki13
12th September 2013, 17:52
I did it last night and felt ashamed for being an old nostalgic. :p

Never, its good to look back I remember when people like me didn't post silly threads like this one. :p

steveaki13
12th September 2013, 17:54
Every now and then I go back and check some of the older posts of mine. Nothings changed though, I still post a lot of cr@p just like before :p:

I am glad to see you posting crap again 555. It cant all be bad. I missed on my "Whatever happened to" Thread. :)

steveaki13
12th September 2013, 17:55
I have no idea what my first posts were... it won't let me go back that far.

When I first joined the forum it was through another site and I can't even remember the name of it. That site had issues and went down on a regular basis, so for quite some time I wasn't posting here. I later found the forums again doing a search and realized it was the same one. There aren't many F1 followers hers in the US, so that was my primary interest. I don't think I posted in Chit Chat for quite some time.

You must have been here a while airshifter.

I too didn't post in Chit Chat for about 2 years after joining the F1 section.

MrJan
12th September 2013, 18:06
I can't find my first post because it came long before one of the big switches. The first post that shows up for me here was made in 2006 and was on the Last Word thread. Think that I'd been around for 2 or 3 years before that and have always accessed by going to rallyforum.com (and still do)

555-04Q2
13th September 2013, 15:31

I am glad to see you posting crap again 555. It cant all be bad. I missed on my "Whatever happened to" Thread. :)

Hehehehe thanks Steve :) But you're wrong, it's all cr@p :laugh: ;)

Donney
16th September 2013, 18:15
I don't look back on old posts, but I remember mine to be somewhere in the wrc section.

slorydn1
16th September 2013, 19:05
Aye, I remember it like it was yesterday, and it was almost 12 years ago.

It was right after the October race at Talladega in 2001 that Bobby Labonte caused the big wreck coming off of turn 2 on the last lap. My little brother joined the forum about a week before me and was involved in a big argument with somebody about the pros/cons of restrictor plate racing. He sent me a message asking me to join the forum and help him out with the argument. I hemmed and hawed at first, as up until then I was never really into forums in general. But, I did, and I joined the argument. 12 years later, we are still having that same argument. ;)

And here I am, still here, and a Mod to boot, and that slacker is nowhere to be found, LOL. :p

I really do miss many of those who were here when I started and are no longer coming back.

Mark
16th September 2013, 19:19
Once the new forums are more stable and the pickems working etc I might send an email out to all members encouraging them to return. Last time I did that when the attempted forum theft happened quite a few returned.

Dave B
16th September 2013, 20:10
I've returned (after at least a two week absence!) :p

Over the last few months I've found myself using social media - including this forum - less and less as life gets busier and busier. It's nice problem to have, but I miss this old place!

I joined in the aftermath of 9/11 as it was about the only place where a vaguely sensible discussion was being held, and I use the word "vaguely" in the loosest possible terms. 12 years on and I'm still in the top 5 posters by quantity, but don't read too much into that as at least 90% of my input has been mindless drivel. :p

Back then many of the touring car lot used to meet up regularly at races, and I made many several good friends as a result. We had drunken nights out, often based around the Autosport show in January, and many curries were had.

I've even had (cough) real life relationships with a couple of forumers ( :wave: ) and while travelling from Kent to Knockhill to cover a BTCC meeting met a wonderful woman who would go on to be my wife.

Over the years I've argued with morons, debated with geniuses, learned from experts, imparted a tiny bit of my own wisdom, met my motorsport heroes; and discussed everything from the fine nuances of world politics to the eternal and controversial "fold/scrunch" question (scrunch, by the way. Anybody who tells you otherwise is deluded).

I'm pleased to see that recent events couldn't sink the forum, and wish it many many more happy years. :D

Mark in Oshawa
16th September 2013, 20:25
I don't know what recent events happened with the forum, but I notice it has a different look that I am still not sure of. Oh well. I come and go from this. I used to be more regular, but with all the social media out there, I find this one isn't the priority it used to be. Not sure why. I get bored maybe? Not sure, because I make many of the same points I suppose on Facebook. I have to say there are a few people on here I miss, and since I posted mainly on Indycar and the NASCAR forums at first, I didn't meet many of the European posters until I discovered the joys of Chit Chat. I think I should try to stay on here more often. To look at my original posts? Likely on the ChampCar page, and likely ripping Tony George...

Mark
16th September 2013, 21:31
Facebook is the focus of attention these days. But of course facebook is only really talking to people you already know - or their friends. A forum introduces you to people you wouldn't otherwise converse with.

donKey jote
16th September 2013, 22:55
(scrunch, by the way. Anybody who tells you otherwise is deluded).

fold !

at least two- or threefold in fact, depending on consistency and amount of times you wish to (re)wipe :sailor:

Donney
17th September 2013, 18:40

steveaki13
29th January 2014, 22:45
Once the new forums are more stable and the pickems working etc I might send an email out to all members encouraging them to return. Last time I did that when the attempted forum theft happened quite a few returned.

Just wondering if you ever got round to this Mark? :)

555-04Q2
30th January 2014, 09:57

Just wondering if you ever got round to this Mark? :)

If Mark spams me with an email I'll sue his ass :p: ;)

steveaki13
30th January 2014, 10:14
Triple 5 your back. :bounce:

555-04Q2
30th January 2014, 11:36
Kind of :p: Been hectic January at work, just can't keep up! Having to assist my managers who are swamped so I'm working for a change :)

steveaki13
30th January 2014, 12:39
Kind of :p: Been hectic January at work, just can't keep up! Having to assist my managers who are swamped so I'm working for a change :)

You told us that everyone worked to rake in money for you. ;) Now your having to work again. Poor show :D

henners88
2nd February 2014, 07:39
Bad planning lol ;)

gadjo_dilo
2nd February 2014, 09:17

You told us that everyone worked to rake in money for you. ;) Now your having to work again. Poor show :D

I call this divine justice. He's punished cos he said he won't ever employ me cos I'm lazy, inefficient and have no good manners.
Also punished for being arrogant and saying he has a great team of managers that permit him to spend time on the forum unlike poor working class like me who should work harder.
:devil: :p

52Paddy
2nd February 2014, 16:59
I've made my first visit to the forums today in a long, long time. I joined in 2004 when my curious 13-year old mind wanted to figure out what a "forum" was on the btccpages website. I couldn't believe it, at the time, that there was other people around wanting to talk about the same, anorakish stuff that I did/do!

As a kid that I was a vast majority of my posts were incredibly naive and not well thought out though I did a massive amount of posting. I really had way too much time on my hands. But as life trundled on and I grew up, my contact with the forum weaned. Many of the members I formed interesting online bonds and conversations with are not around any more unfortunately. I have met one or two people from here, though, and hopefully will meet them and many others in the future, now that I'm a adult :P

Hopefully I'll get time to check in weekly at least as I always found it a good way of keeping up to date with the motorsport scene. However, conversations in recent years (particularly in the F1 forum) have been met with some ridiculously childish carry-on which has become a bit of a turn-off.

steveaki13
2nd February 2014, 18:48
Howdy Paddy. :wave:

Nice to read you again. Glad you're still OK, hope to see you posting again soon. :)

henners88
2nd February 2014, 19:40
Hopefully I'll get time to check in weekly at least as I always found it a good way of keeping up to date with the motorsport scene. However, conversations in recent years (particularly in the F1 forum) have been met with some ridiculously childish carry-on which has become a bit of a turn-off.
Hi Paddy I didn't think I'd seen you around for a long time, welcome back. I think the F1 section is recovering from that silly period from what I have seen.

When I joined in early 2008 the forum was a lot busier with threads active throughout the day and with 30 or so people participating. I wasn't exactly made to feel welcome in the early days due to my favourite driver and the team he drove for. I stuck it out though and have been here ever since, however due to the quietness of MSF, I do find most of my spare time for f1 talk occurs elsewhere these days. I think the main reasons it's quieter is because of the forum migration, silly squabbles, and of course the dull racing and lesser coverage. Hopefully we'll see it recover in the coming years to some degree and maybe more people will start watching F1 again.

steveaki13
2nd February 2014, 22:59
Here's hoping Henners.

Rollo
2nd February 2014, 23:09
I read the title to this thread and thought...
"Wow. I am Time at Motorsport Forums?"

This confirms my suspicions that I am a Timelord... or a grammar gestapo.

steveaki13
3rd February 2014, 07:27
I know I cant believe I got it wrong in the title. :o :o :o :rolleyes:

Rollo
3rd February 2014, 11:07

You mean that I'm not a Timelord? Aww... is the local GP in my arera a Timelord? She's called Dr Hoo.

http://healthengine.com.au/doctor/nsw/b ... hoo/p11500 (http://healthengine.com.au/doctor/nsw/blacktown/dr-tjien-hoo/p11500)

steveaki13
3rd February 2014, 13:55

You mean that I'm not a Timelord? Aww... is the local GP in my arera a Timelord? She's called Dr Hoo.

http://healthengine.com.au/doctor/nsw/b ... hoo/p11500 (http://healthengine.com.au/doctor/nsw/blacktown/dr-tjien-hoo/p11500)

Who knows. Go in and ask if you can see her Tardis! ;)

Big Ben
4th February 2014, 08:45
i think I only read once some of my older posts and tbh I was sort of embarrassed so let bygones be bygones