PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Lauderdale Kaput

bugeyedgomer
11th September 2013, 05:00
08/12/13 RACER has learned discussions between Andretti Sports Marketing, which promotes the Milwaukee Mile oval event and the Baltimore street race, continue to take shape with the city of Ft. Lauderdale.

“We're enthusiastic about the market, and with the constituents we've spoken to, including the city, the IndyCar Series, the drivers, and officials in Broward County, there continues to be a lot of support for the event,” said ASM's John Lopes. “Whether the event occurs or not really comes down to packaging the finances which all sides are currently working on. We've had some recent meetings with all sides and continue to build commercial support to make the race happen.”

08/30/13
The Ft. Lauderdale race is pretty much dead according to sources. From what we hear IndyCar got greedy and wanted too much for the sanctioning fee and were told to go pound sand. OK, maybe those words were not used, but you get the idea how it went down.

A request for $20 million in county tourist taxes for a Grand Prix at Fort Lauderdale beach was flatly rejected Tuesday by an otherwise enthusiastic Broward County Commission.

The idea of a new signature event during a dry tourism period, and one that would advertise Broward County nationally and internationally, sounds great, commissioners said. But not at that cost.

Starter
11th September 2013, 14:38
I really didn't think it was going to fly. Another Florida race just didn't seem attractive. Plus, the schedule has enough street races on it now - at least IMO.

FormerFF
12th September 2013, 05:01
I'd gladly trade Baltimore for a Ft. Lauderdale race. I suppose the track could be worse (remember San Jose?) , but it's not likely.

Starter
12th September 2013, 05:14
I'd gladly trade Baltimore for a Ft. Lauderdale race. I suppose the track could be worse (remember San Jose?) , but it's not likely.

Other than the light rail tracks what do you believe is wrong with the Baltimore layout? It's certainly no worse than many of the other street circuits.

FormerFF
13th September 2013, 01:15

Other than the light rail tracks what do you believe is wrong with the Baltimore layout? It's certainly no worse than many of the other street circuits.

The light rail track requiring that chicane is enough for me. Having watched both ALMS and Indycar, I've seen enough carnage.

Having that tight hairpin after the start doesn't work either. I would certainly get rid of the two-up restarts at Baltimore. For that matter, I'd lose them at St. Pete and Long Beach as well

Starter
13th September 2013, 04:17

The light rail track requiring that chicane is enough for me. Having watched both ALMS and Indycar, I've seen enough carnage.

Having that tight hairpin after the start doesn't work either. I would certainly get rid of the two-up restarts at Baltimore. For that matter, I'd lose them at St. Pete and Long Beach as well
Agree the side by side restarts were not the best choice there.

The carnage at the light rail tracks was a this years event, the last two years were no major problem. So, IMO, that's on the drivers and not on the track.

The hairpin (turn 3) is actually the second real corner, two being a left bend. Turn one is not a hairpin and is no tighter that turn one at Toronto - though I'll concede turn one at Toronto has had it's share of drama over the years.