PDA

View Full Version : Michael Waltrip Charged After Vehicle Accident Saturday

uncleel
11th April 2007, 00:56
Michael Waltrip Charged After Vehicle Accident Saturday

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/11607175/detail.html

Michael Waltrip is charged with reckless driving and failure to report an accident after a crash on Molly's Backbone Road in Catawba County.

The Highway Patrol says Waltrip was driving about 70 miles per hour in the 55 mile-per-hour zone when he went off the right side of the road in a curve around 1:50 a.m. Saturday.

His car then traveled back across the pavement and off the left side of the roadway, sliding sideways and striking a utility pole as it overturned. The car then rolled over and came to a rest on its side. Troopers said a witness saw Waltrip crawl out of the vehicle and leave the scene.

Waltrip will be in court in Newton on May 14

Lee Roy
11th April 2007, 01:32
http://www.jayski.com

UPDATE: Michael Waltrip was uninjured in a single car accident Friday night near his home in Sherrills Ford, N.C. The 43-year old was returning from Charlotte, N.C. when he fell asleep at the wheel within a mile of his home and ran off the road, striking a telephone pole. “I am really embarrassed about the accident, but I feel fortunate that I wasn’t hurt,” said Waltrip. “For 25 years I have had a great driving record. I consider myself to be a courteous and safe driver on public roads. I never expected to fall asleep behind the wheel of a car.” The North Carolina Highway Patrol ticketed Waltrip for reckless driving (admitting to falling asleep at the wheel) and failure to notify authorities of an accident in a timely manner.(MWR PR)(4-10-2007)

RaceFanStan
11th April 2007, 01:38
Hitting a telephone pole at high speed makes for a jolting stop ! :eek:
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/00/hitpole.jpg

harvick#1
11th April 2007, 01:49
The Highway Patrol says Waltrip was driving about 70 miles per hour in the 55 mile-per-hour zone when he went off the right side of the road in a curve around 1:50 a.m. Saturday.

"I can't drive......55"

"sammy can you turn it down"

"sure do you think you can go faster"

:p :

muggle not
11th April 2007, 02:10
Mikey was freaking lucky that he wasn't seriously injured.

Jeez, it sounds like he was driving faster than he normally does on the race track.

RaceFanStan
11th April 2007, 02:44
Michael was trying to qualify for the "BACKROAD 500" ........

but he ended up walking home ........ http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

muggle not
11th April 2007, 02:52
Michael was trying to qualify for the "BACKROAD 500" ........

but he ended up walking home ........ http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif
Same as he does every week in qualifying.

dont_be_jack
11th April 2007, 04:42
Bet he wishes he had that escape latch on the roof this time around.

Mark in Oshawa
11th April 2007, 04:52
Well, isn't Toyota impressed now? And if that pic is Mikey's car, funny, that looks like a Mitsubishi, not a TOYOTA.....

I think someone in Toyota land will have someone come along and buy out Mikey, like next week. What a doofus....

Sparky1329
11th April 2007, 05:27
Mikey's reaction to just having a very serious car accident sounds like what my reaction would be if I had a few too many drinks. Oh well. Nobody believed that Goody Two-Shoes shtick of his anyway.

Hoss Ghoul
11th April 2007, 05:50
Lol, what an ass...

Show of hands for those thinking this was one step short of a "hiding behind the bed" Scott Wimmer situation. I'd give at least 50/50 odds he was drunk. If not, why would he leave the scene?

Either way, this is further proof the guy can't drive. I've driven over 24 hours straight by myself with no stops but for fueling, you don't fall asleep behind the wheel unless you're inept OR stupid.

Parlaying a ride with DEI into a career as a roving mouth/spokesman $25 million dollars.

Parlaying said spokesmanship into Toyota Team ownership $100 million dollars.

Falling asleep behind the wheel and crashing, while being the biggest Cup embarrassment in decades? Priceless.

R. Mears
11th April 2007, 07:30
Michael Waltrip Charged After Vehicle Accident Saturday
The Highway Patrol says Waltrip was driving about 70 miles per hour in the 55 mile-per-hour zone when he went off the right side of the road in a curve around 1:50 a.m. Saturday. Troopers said a witness saw Waltrip crawl out of the vehicle and leave the scene.
My vote goes for drunk driving.
Can Mikie say kiss my career good bye?

dwboogityfan
11th April 2007, 10:37
Lets wait for all the facts to come out before accusing Mikey of DUI. He is pretty lucky to escape uninjured though.
Sadly certain people seem to dislike Mikey and I find the accusations thrown at him disappointing. If they are true then I will criticise him but until then he has my support - sure he shouldn't have left the scene but you don't always think rationally after doing something stupid.
And for those that call Mikey the cups biggest joke. Remember he has won TWO Daytona 500s (one more than Dale Jr in the same team) and The Winston in 1996 for the Wood Brothers. I am sure MWR will turn it around as well.

BobbyC
11th April 2007, 12:12
Toyota may even get the wreck to testify its safety.

Seriously, driving long hours at night is dangerous. When I drove into the wee hours for a friend's wedding, I stopped 7-8 times after 11 PM in order to rest because I was not confident in going without stopping.

BenRoethig
11th April 2007, 12:55
Lol, what an ass...

Show of hands for those thinking this was one step short of a "hiding behind the bed" Scott Wimmer situation. I'd give at least 50/50 odds he was drunk. If not, why would he leave the scene?

Either way, this is further proof the guy can't drive. I've driven over 24 hours straight by myself with no stops but for fueling, you don't fall asleep behind the wheel unless you're inept OR stupid.

Parlaying a ride with DEI into a career as a roving mouth/spokesman $25 million dollars.

Falling asleep behind the wheel and crashing, while being the biggest Cup embarrassment in decades? Priceless.

You gotta believe Toyota is about at the end of their patience. Mikey should be getting the "sell or we'll drop you" ultimatum pretty soon.

Lee Roy
11th April 2007, 15:03
Lets wait for all the facts to come out before accusing Mikey of DUI.

Yeah, it's a pretty low-down thing to do . . . . accusing someone of something so serious without any evidence.

Wilderness
11th April 2007, 15:40
My vote goes for drunk driving.
Can Mikie say kiss my career good bye?
+1. The excuse Toyota and the sponsors were looking for. Years from, now he'll be just a sad footnote in NASCAR's history books.

Sparky1329
11th April 2007, 15:44
Lets wait for all the facts to come out before accusing Mikey of DUI. He is pretty lucky to escape uninjured though.
Sadly certain people seem to dislike Mikey and I find the accusations thrown at him disappointing. If they are true then I will criticise him but until then he has my support - sure he shouldn't have left the scene but you don't always think rationally after doing something stupid.
And for those that call Mikey the cups biggest joke. Remember he has won TWO Daytona 500s (one more than Dale Jr in the same team) and The Winston in 1996 for the Wood Brothers. I am sure MWR will turn it around as well.

Liking or disliking has no bearing on the fact that something in this whole deal smells like three day old fish. If you stretch hard enough you can twist yourself into any kind of rationalization for Mikey's fleeing the scene and hiding out. Simple logic and putting oneself in his shoes in the same situation spells avoiding a DUI.

Cindy_AL
11th April 2007, 16:10
Lol, what an ass...

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

RaceFanStan
11th April 2007, 16:31
Some points have been submitted for consideration :
1. DUI - I just don't buy that one ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif
2. Falling asleep at the wheel - Having had this occur to me I know it can happen.
It comes from physical exhaustion & lack of sleep, it can happen to anyone.
It has nothing to do with being "inept OR stupid". http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
3. Losing his career and/or team - I don't see that happening, people have car accidents all the time.
The main thing is that Michael wasn't injured.
================================================== =========
Let me add something for people to think about :
Hitting a telephone pole at 55+ mph is a hard jolt.
(I know because I have hit a telephone pole myself)
(I was temporarily disoriented & all I wanted to do was go home)
I wouldn't be surprised that Michael may have suffered a concusion.
Leaving the scene of an accident is understandable because it is traumatic.
Michael wasn't fleeing, he had a natural need to be where he felt secure.
Michael Waltrip didn't hide, to state otherwise is false.

Cindy_AL
11th April 2007, 16:44
Thats what is so great about being an American.... We are all free to form our own opinions and express those opinions & views openly. :p :
I agree with Barb. :D :up:

Sparky1329
11th April 2007, 16:59
Thats what is so great about being an American.... We are all free to form our own opinions and express those opinions & views openly. :p :

We'll never know the truth anyway. That's either a bad thing or a good thing depending on your perspective. ;)

muggle not
11th April 2007, 17:28
One thing we do know. This has been one great year for Mikey. :)

RaceFanStan
11th April 2007, 17:42
Yes, I would never try to curb someone's freedom of expression.
However I do hate to see an innocent person slandered by rash judgement or "biased opinion". :s
BTW, in America a citizen is presumed innocent until proven guilty. http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/flag/cntry/usa2.gif

RaceFanStan
11th April 2007, 17:46
One thing we do know. This has been one great year for Mikey. :)
Maybe a great year for the Michael Waltrip boo-birds. :s

Sparky1329
11th April 2007, 17:47
Mikey obviously knows the truth. At the end of the day he has to look at his own face in the mirror.

Hoss Ghoul
11th April 2007, 18:22
Brian France "I was just looking down, putting my drink in the cupholder, I wasn't drunk when I hit that tree"

Michael Waltrip "My great focus as a professional race car driver failed me, I couldn't make it one more mile to my house, I fell asleep. I wasn't drunk when I crashed my car, fled the scene, and then took several hours to call the accident in"

I believe these stories equally, heh.

trumperZ06
11th April 2007, 18:31
;) Hhmmmm... Mikey runs off the road & crashes into a utility pole @ ~ 1:30 AM Saturday night, then he leaves the scene of the accident, and the police are unable to locate him six hours later, on Sunday morning.

The next day, now Monday, the police finally reach him.. and he's not arrested !!!

:p : Sounds a little bit like Brain France's run-in with the law a month or so ago.

:D Maybe NA$CAR should dump Mike Helton and hire Roger Goodell...

Lee Roy
11th April 2007, 18:42
Wow, I hope some of you folks don't need the benefit of being presumed innocent one day.

djarumdudley
11th April 2007, 19:11
;)

:D Maybe NA$CAR should dump Mike Helton and hire Roger Goodell...

a disciplinarian in Nascar? perish the thought.

gonna have to side with the consensus, all signs seem to point to DUI/DWI avoidance. forget an arrest/conviction/smear on his record.
besides Michael Waltrip doesn't have time in his schedule for a DWI. between court appearences, programs, and inevitable community service, how could he possibly cram it in to his already overloaded schedule of commercials, sponsor/television appearences, the occasional race, and oh yeah, running a race team? get this man a broom and rug quick.

Jonesi
12th April 2007, 02:51
Some updated information:
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2834050
Witness did not actually see the accident, but came upon it minutes later, and stopped to help. (Something oddly missing from the original reports)
Also NascarNow showed the police report, but I can't find it anywhere on the net yet.

MD24
12th April 2007, 05:35
http://www.wcnc.com/news/slideshows/0411-waltrip/manual/01.jpg

http://www.wcnc.com/news/slideshows/0411-waltrip/manual/02.jpg

http://www.wcnc.com/news/slideshows/0411-waltrip/manual/03.jpg

http://www.wcnc.com/news/slideshows/0411-waltrip/manual/04.jpg

http://www.wcnc.com/news/slideshows/0411-waltrip/manual/05.jpg

djarumdudley
12th April 2007, 05:43
wow, you can actually spot the area where his head cracked the windshield.

Abo
12th April 2007, 06:10
wow, you can actually spot the area where his head cracked the windshield.

No seatbelt then? Maybe he should listen to Jeff Burton ;)

My personal opinion: maybe there *was* something fishy about the crash. Leaving the scene is classic DUI behaviour...

R. Mears
12th April 2007, 10:20
I still say crashing at 1:50 am on a saturday morning then leaving the scene Mikey probably had too many budweisers. It just makes too much sense.
Probably out drinking cause his career went down the toilet this year.

Erki
12th April 2007, 11:01
Come on. It was nearly 2am, he was tired, shocked, wanted to sleep. Did he have to stay in the car and sleep there?!
Wouldn't it be OK if he went and told the police that he had a crash and the pole is damaged(if it was). If the pole wasn't even damaged, what's the big deal? :confused:

Wilderness
12th April 2007, 14:50
Maybe it's okay to leave the scene of an accident in Estonia, but in the US is is not. 99.99999% of those who do, have something to hide.

dont_be_jack
12th April 2007, 15:37
Well, that's some pretty hefty damage...

had to be going well over the limit. And maybe a little under something...

tstran17_88
12th April 2007, 18:17
I know I’m anxious to see what type of spin DW and the rest of his crew put on this come race day.

RaceFanStan
12th April 2007, 18:34
I'm glad that Michael Waltrip doesn't have to face this jury ! :eek:
He would get the death sentence for a traffic accident ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Lee Roy
12th April 2007, 19:57
He would get the death sentence for a traffic accident

I wouldn't worry, if the shoe were on the other foot, or on the foot of someone they were connected to, most of the people calling for Michael's execution would suddenly remember the importance of the "presumed innocent" clause.

Just remember the Duke Lacrosse players.

Although, I had a friend years ago get off of a probable DUI charge because after his accident near his home, he walked to his apartment before the cops got to to the scene and there was enough doubt that he might have gotten wasted back at his apartment to get him off the charge. ;)

Wilderness
12th April 2007, 20:40
I reserve my constitutional right to judge MW in the court of public opinion.

Hoss Ghoul
12th April 2007, 20:55
Michael's just going to plead No Contest to the charge, reckless driving. A truth NASCAR fans have know for years. :p

MD24
12th April 2007, 21:14
Michael's just going to plead No Contest to the charge, reckless driving. A truth NASCAR fans have know for years. :p

:D

MD24
12th April 2007, 21:15
http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-041007-krg-waltrip_top.cd6f2b9.html

R. Mears
13th April 2007, 01:48
He would get the death sentence for a traffic accident ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Hang em high!!!

The kicker is he didn't notify the police right away. Wanted to sober up first.

DavePI2
13th April 2007, 02:08
Maybe he is good friends with Little Al

David

R. Mears
13th April 2007, 02:20
A woman who arrived on the scene a few minutes after the accident and does not want to be identified, said Waltrip climbed out the windshield and was bleeding. She said she talked with him and then he started to walk home. She did not want to comment about his condition or reveal the statement that she told Highway Patrol officers on the scene.

Probably told the cop he was just tired and a little banged up and that he just wanted to go home and sleep(it off). lol

#6CupFan
13th April 2007, 02:27
I am absolutely amazed Waltrip climbed from that car uninjured. Those air bags and seatbelts saved him that night, though whatever kind of SUV that is, the state of the cage around the driver is concerning.

I think the part that is troubling, like most others here, is definately why not call the police when you got home?? A mile from home, I definately understand wanting to just get there, but you gotta call the cops...unless, again like everyone here said, there's more to the story. It's not like he went home, went to bed and called in the morning, even that might be somewhat understandable, but it was 8:30 that night! And what did he think was going to happen to the SUV? Abandon it?

Odd, just odd.

I too will be curious to see how DW and the rest of the Fox yahoos elaborate on this one.

Alexamateo
13th April 2007, 03:45
Like Stan, I don't see anything sinister here. Maybe one should consider he was ashamed and embarrassed. With all the stress he's under and the year he's having, this should not be a surprise. If something like that happened to me, I would just want to go home and not see anybody nor talk to anyone. Yes I would know I would have to deal with the car at some point, but for the moment, I would just want to be left alone.

Jonesi
14th April 2007, 04:25
http://www.wcnc.com/video/index.html?nvid=135487

muggle not
14th April 2007, 15:23
Rumor has it that Mikey tried to blame Robby Gordon. :)

Sparky1329
14th April 2007, 18:31
Rumor has it that Mikey tried to blame Robby Gordon. :)

That wouldn't surprise me. :D

mercury8
14th April 2007, 22:36
Hitting a telephone pole at high speed makes for a jolting stop ! :eek:
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/00/hitpole.jpg

It'll buff out.

Mark in Oshawa
15th April 2007, 00:15
He does have the right to a trial, but I must say the court of public opinion has found him guilty. If this case goes to court, I suspect a similar verdict may be in the offing.

IF he pleads no contest, he is admitting he was out of it when he wrecked.

I will say this, I am glad he is ok. After hearing what happened to Gov. Corsign (sic) of NJ, who wasn't wearing his seat belt, you have to thank god Mikey wasn't hurt. He of course was smart enough to be belted up but man, that picture looks AWFUL. I bet he is sore.

I still stand by my earlier thought though Toyota will NOT like this publicity and the fact Mikey didn't notify the cops. AFter being the owner of a team caught cheating, breaking socieities rules doesn't help his image one bit...

RaceFanStan
15th April 2007, 04:29
..... IF he pleads no contest, he is admitting he was out of it when he wrecked .....
Please get the charges straight, Michael waltrip has NOT been charged with being "out of it when he wrecked". http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif
The North Carolina Highway Patrol charged Michael Waltrip with reckless driving and leaving the scene of an accident.
Michael has admitted to falling asleep while driving, crashing & then going directly home afterwards.
If Michael Waltrip pleads no contest, he will pay a fine & maybe get some points against his NC driver's license.

You dreamers can imagine whatever you want but the fact is there is no proof to your claims ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Hoss Ghoul
15th April 2007, 08:30
Indeed Stan, that's why he walked away...

I had a friend who did the same, avoided a DUI, well done I say.

Jonesi
15th April 2007, 08:45
I've been reading North Carolina vehicle code on reckless driving and leaving the scene of an accident. I really don't think he'll have too much problem, assuming a good lawyer.
Reckless driving is a vague catch-all they hit you with when they don't like what happened, sort of like Nascar's 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing) except North Carolina's courts can't act like the dictatorship that is Nascar. There's the presumption of innocence and intent to commit the infraction. It would be hard to prove someone intended to fall asleep at the wheel of a vehicle a mile from home.
Leaving the scene of an accident/reporting it probably gets bargained down or goes away because:
1. The accident was reported by the witness and she told the police that she informed Waltrip that she had.
2. One look at vehicle, it's clear the roof was bent all the way down to his face and was likely suffering from concussion.
3. It took NCHP better part of an hour to respond to a probable injury accident.

BTW In the last couple of days Google Earth has upgraded their sat photos two levels in the area, so now you can see every telephone pole on Molly's Backbone Rd.

Hoss Ghoul
15th April 2007, 10:44
Regardless of our differing opinions on this matter, isn't is refreshing to be able to express them freely? I tried a few jokes, and the link to the 911 call on the Speed boards, and the hand of corporate/PC asshats slapped me down, multiple times.

Personally, I'd rather argue with folks here over and over than be shut out of my opinion. Cheers for MSF, good board and intelligent and interesting fans. :s mokin:

DavePI2
15th April 2007, 11:19
Interesting Waltrip has been replaced on Trading Paint. Did this just happen this week or previously?

david

Sparky1329
15th April 2007, 16:05
Interesting Waltrip has been replaced on Trading Paint. Did this just happen this week or previously?

david

He was replaced about three weeks ago.

Old3Fan
15th April 2007, 17:09
I have seen posted pictures of two different cars .. What's the deal?

RaceFanStan
15th April 2007, 17:48
The crashed Toyota SUV are the pics of Michael Waltrip's accident.

I posted a pic of a crashed car to make a point & never stated it was a pic of Michael's crash.

RaceFanStan
15th April 2007, 20:28
Maybe Allstate Insurance should use Michael's crash in a commercial ..... :laugh:

Jonesi
15th April 2007, 23:38
Perhaps Jeff Burton drives up to Waltrip's crashed vehicle with his kids and says "See kids why you always wear your seatbelts".

JovialJooles
16th April 2007, 01:13
Perhaps Jeff Burton drives up to Waltrip's crashed vehicle with his kids and says "See kids why you always wear your seatbelts".

I suspect if he could get NAPA in the advert, he wouldn't be averse to appearing in it.

harvick#1
16th April 2007, 01:30
Maybe Allstate Insurance should use Michael's crash in a commercial ..... :laugh:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Mikey is in enough commercials :p :

dont_be_jack
16th April 2007, 01:54
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

He gets more airtime in the commercials than even the winner of a race when it's all said and done!

BenRoethig
16th April 2007, 10:28

I suspect if he could get NAPA in the advert, he wouldn't be averse to appearing in it.

Mikey: "Hey NAPA, I crashed and I'm going to need a bunch of new parts. What? No, it was on the streets I didn't make the race. Hey I made it into the 500 by cheating though. Why do you keep me on the payroll? Uh, Dale sr hired me."

Cindy_AL
16th April 2007, 14:15

R. Mears
16th April 2007, 16:23
He gets more airtime in the commercials than even the winner of a race when it's all said and done!
That may be going away soon.

RaceFanStan
18th April 2007, 22:29
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif