PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes S63 AMG 2014 officially launched

kosovohp
3rd August 2013, 15:42
The next generation of the Mercedes luxury sedan has been officially revealed prior to the exhibition in Frankfurt Motor Show next September.

New sedan is the perfect combination of the AMG Mercedes and firm, the engineers behind the S63 AMG models have created a combination of luxury and sport. Following the successful launch of the A45 and CLA45 AMG, "perfect couple" This promises to the S63 ideal.
Vehicle exterior change much in comparison with the current version. Body made from aluminum to reduce vehicle weight, lighter brakes, customers can also choose from ceramic carbon brakes. Also more vehicles made from carbon fiber, aluminum front panel is made from. 2014 S63 AMG uses lithium-ion batteries so that about 100 kg weight reduction compared to the current version.

Underneath the hood is the 5.5-liter engine block V8 Biturbo generate power 577 hp and maximum torque of 899 Nm. Vehicles using multi-clutch gearbox 7-speed AMG transmission with four-wheel drive 4Matic system was first used on the S63 AMG sedan. Combining technology helps the car accelerate to 100 km / h from the starting line in 3.9 seconds before reaching a maximum level speed of 300 km / h with 33% torque transfer power to the front wheels and 67% to the for the rear wheels.
Mercedes says the new generation will certainly fuel economy than the previous generation, although not giving specific numbers. Pneumatic suspension (air suspension) is also upgraded with higher Camber angle, anti-roll bars and rear sub-frame, all to provide the ability to operate on the most stable.

Inside the cabin there are new details to the steering wheel and sports seats new design with AMG logo embossed impression on the steering wheel. Of course, with such a new car, the S63 AMG premium leather material is used efficiently.

Mercedes reveals no information about the price, but according to some sources may S63 AMG 4Matic will start from $ 140,000.

Rollo
5th August 2013, 00:33
There's lots of things I don't like about the nomenclature about this:

Why call it an S63 when clearly it's got a 5.5L bi-turbo? Surely S55T is a better classification.
This is as daft as the 1970's when there was a 300SEL 6.3 and later a 450SEL 6.9 or worse the 190E 2.5-16 Cosworth Evolution II.

How do you have a 2014 car which is built and sold in 2014? I don't know when the practice of forward dating cars began but out in the real world when it comes to finding bits, the compliance plates will say 2013 for all cars built in 2013.
Why not refer to the car by it's W number (W222) or presumably the LWB version's V number.

555-04Q2
5th August 2013, 11:29
All Mercs are overpriced :down:

Jag_Warrior
7th August 2013, 16:29
I'm not much of a Mercedes fan - never have been. But I will say that from the first time I saw a Mercedes McLaren SLR, I drooled on myself. I know the SLS is supposed to be a superior car, but compared to the SLR, it does nothing for me visually. From the shots I've seen, the same is true of this S63 AMG. I'm sure that it's a good car and a great performer. But IMO, it's a wet noodle aesthetically. I think both Mercedes and Jaguar should hire some stylists from Hyundai and Kia so they could get closer to the edges of styling. Jaguar's new Volvo and Nissan clones put me to sleep.

anfield5
8th August 2013, 02:26
Too me it just looks blah, like a car with nothing that remarkable to peak the interest. Granted some of the engineering is outstanding and the performance figures are astonishing for a big lump of a car, but that's not the point of an AMG Merc. They should be over the top looking, not middle-of-the-road.
One picture I have seen of it (on Top Gear's site) from a front/side perspective, reminds me slightly of a Quatroporte (not sure why) but with a lot less pizzazz.

airshifter
8th August 2013, 05:15
Too me it just looks blah, like a car with nothing that remarkable to peak the interest. Granted some of the engineering is outstanding and the performance figures are astonishing for a big lump of a car, but that's not the point of an AMG Merc. They should be over the top looking, not middle-of-the-road.
One picture I have seen of it (on Top Gear's site) from a front/side perspective, reminds me slightly of a Quatroporte (not sure why) but with a lot less pizzazz.

The AMG brand has never been about over the top styling. Rather the opposite really. Some of the early cars looked every bit like a factory car, but they still went like snot for the day and type of car. I rode in an early AMG W116 sedan and it really shocked me. It was quite the sleeper.

Even in the 80s styling wasn't the strong point. Solid powertrains were the real selling point, and the handling evolved over the years. The AMG "Hammer" as it was known didn't look like anything that you couldn't do with some aftermarket wheels and tires.

It's always been about form following function. I'm sure if they wanted they could design something with over the top styling, but some people like subtle. Not to mention that designing for over the top raises costs substantially over designing around an existing platform.

Rollo
8th August 2013, 06:40
The AMG brand has never been about over the top styling. Rather the opposite really. Some of the early cars looked every bit like a factory car, but they still went like snot for the day and type of car. I rode in an early AMG W116 sedan and it really shocked me. It was quite the sleeper.

Das erste AMG-Modell: Renaissance der "roten Sau" - SPIEGEL ONLINE (http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/das-erste-amg-modell-renaissance-der-roten-sau-a-415796.html)
There was an AMG 300SEL 6.3 stroked out to 6.8L and eventually produced 420 brake, which was known as the "Red Pig" but that's a W109.

The W116 450SEL 6.9 when it underwent the AMG treatment, went out to 7.2L or 439cid. I really shudder to think what they were dragging out of that same M100 block. That'd be mental-bonkers-crazy-go-nuts.
http://gallery.w116.org/dl/6651-2/6_9to7_2ii.jpg

Brown, Jon Brow
8th August 2013, 18:47
You'd be much better off and happier with one of these instead.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02516/Jaguar-XJR_2516698b.jpg

airshifter
9th August 2013, 06:45
Das erste AMG-Modell: Renaissance der "roten Sau" - SPIEGEL ONLINE (http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/das-erste-amg-modell-renaissance-der-roten-sau-a-415796.html)
There was an AMG 300SEL 6.3 stroked out to 6.8L and eventually produced 420 brake, which was known as the "Red Pig" but that's a W109.

The W116 450SEL 6.9 when it underwent the AMG treatment, went out to 7.2L or 439cid. I really shudder to think what they were dragging out of that same M100 block. That'd be mental-bonkers-crazy-go-nuts.
http://gallery.w116.org/dl/6651-2/6_9to7_2ii.jpg

They did some inspiring stuff over the years. I did some work for a guy that had one of the original "Hammers" in stealth mode with some wheel swap and minor mods. At the time hardly anyone knew what they were. He said it was by far the best sleeper he ever had.... and he had some nice toys.

Jag_Warrior
18th August 2013, 20:51
You'd be much better off and happier with one of these instead.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02516/Jaguar-XJR_2516698b.jpg

Hey, it's the new Volvo by Jaguar! :mad:

I really think both Mercedes and Jaguar need to hire some automotive stylists from Hyundai. No joke, those kids have really gotten their act together over the past five or six years.

I would love to have a newer Jaguar. I really would. But the XJ and XF look like Volvos. The XK now looks like a super-sized Mazda Miata. And the new F-type looks like some premium version of a Nissan 370Z. Hell, they had a perfect template to work from with the "old" XJ-13 or even the CX-75. Who is signing off on this new styling direction at Jaguar, Ray Charles???!!! He was musically very talented. But uh, he's both blind and dead now!!!!!!!

The only thing that makes me feel a bit better is that Mercedes seems to be losing the plot (on styling) even worse than Jaguar is. Bleh!