PDA

View Full Version : Can racing cars use the roads?

Hazell B
9th April 2007, 23:30
There I am this afternoon, ripping pampas grass to bits in my field, when there's a massive backfire, spluttering roar and some crackling noises like thunder.

Looking out to the road, there was a Porsche Carrera (sp?) coughing it's way down to 30mph after the two mile straight that ends at my land. It was white and had a navy blue door with number 7 on it. There were other graphics, but at 60 yards away I couldn't read them.

It went a few miles along the twisty roads beyond the 30 limit, then turned and came back. All very loudly :D To say it accelerated away at the end of the 30 along that straight would be an understatement! It was the real deal, not some chump who fancied looking like a racing driver.

So, are many racing cars road legal, or was the driver being very stupid indeed?

Zico
9th April 2007, 23:36
If it is mot'd, taxed and insured it is road legal... My brothers Rallycar is dramaticaly loud also but road legal all the same.

grassrootsracer
9th April 2007, 23:43
In the United States, you can purchase/covert Radical sports racers for public road use. I do wonder how they manage to bypass emission standards. Although, those use fairly stock motorcycle engines and they may be exempt in some areas if registered as a kit car, so I suppose I answered my own question. But for others, I'm interested in seeing how that works.

CarlMetro
9th April 2007, 23:48
There were other graphics, but at 60 yards away I couldn't read them.

Call yourself a racefan :rolleyes:

:p :

Zico
9th April 2007, 23:52
In the United States, you can purchase/covert Radical sports racers for public road use. I do wonder how they manage to bypass emission standards. Although, those use fairly stock motorcycle engines and they may be exempt in some areas if registered as a kit car, so I suppose I answered my own question. But for others, I'm interested in seeing how that works.

In the UK, emisions can be met with sports Catalysts or in our case reduced limits for being a 20-something year old car. Not sure what the situation is on the decibel limits or if that is even a part of the MOT??, tho we do have good contacts in the automotive industry if this came to be a problem. At scrutineering its always tested way above limits but there are ways and means to get by this. ;)

Hazell B
9th April 2007, 23:57
Call yourself a racefan :rolleyes:

:p :

I call myself a plant grower, but I can't be bothered to read seed packets :p :

grassrootsracer
10th April 2007, 02:06
Indeed. The old-age allowance lets my Z run with minimal exhaust/emissions equipment; just enough to keep it from being obnoxious. And I am aware of many methods of beating dB readings, hehe.

Ian McC
10th April 2007, 08:37
I call myself a plant grower, but I can't be bothered to read seed packets :p :

Need glasses maybe?

GridGirl
10th April 2007, 13:37
I thought WRC cars needed to pass an MOT to to driven on UK roads during Rally GB between stages. I've seen plenty of rally cars being driven on the roads.

I'm sure Top Gear showcased a replica F1 car that you can buy to drive on the roads once too.

Mark
10th April 2007, 13:40
I once saw a blue Fiesta with white stripes on it, it was helluva fast :p

Erki
10th April 2007, 14:03
I once saw a blue Fiesta with white stripes on it, it was helluva fast :p

From inside?

Mark
10th April 2007, 14:14
Nope, my car is helluva slow :p

Captain VXR
10th April 2007, 15:30
The Norris Designs Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 (http://www.norrisdesigns.com/demo9.asp) is an example of the extremes road legal cars can go, it was at Autosport road registered and has been driven on roads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8RP54zeNAM while also has a top speed of 201.4 mph and 9.5 second 1/4 miles and 930 bhp

inimitablestoo
10th April 2007, 16:57
I'm sure Top Gear showcased a replica F1 car that you can buy to drive on the roads once too.
I know Fifth Gear showed a company's roadgoing replica Vanwall F1 car last year, but the one that you might be thinking of was (way back on the old Top Gear in about 1993) a Japanese gentleman who converted his Formula 3000 car to make it road legal. They showed it going through the streets of Tokyo (or somesuch), where it attracted considerable attention...

There is also the story from many decades ago when Denis Jenkinson, with the help of Colin Chapman, did a "road test" of one of the Lotus single-seater race cars on a deserted Christmas Day for one of the leading publications. It was described as fictitious at the time, but documentary evidence (such as delivery plates for the car!) apparently proves otherwise...

luvracin
10th April 2007, 18:18
There I am this afternoon, ripping pampas grass to bits in my field, when there's a massive backfire, spluttering roar and some crackling noises like thunder.

Looking out to the road, there was a Porsche Carrera (sp?) coughing it's way down to 30mph after the two mile straight that ends at my land. It was white and had a navy blue door with number 7 on it. There were other graphics, but at 60 yards away I couldn't read them.

It went a few miles along the twisty roads beyond the 30 limit, then turned and came back. All very loudly :D To say it accelerated away at the end of the 30 along that straight would be an understatement! It was the real deal, not some chump who fancied looking like a racing driver.

So, are many racing cars road legal, or was the driver being very stupid indeed?

Probably the guy made some changes and wanted to have a quick(ie: before the Coppers catch him) blast down the road to make sure everything works.

GridGirl
10th April 2007, 19:44
Inimitablestoo, the Vanwall was the name that came into my head when I was typing my last post. I do remember the Japanese thing though.

Nowt wrong with Blue Fiesta's with white stripes Mark, well apart from the power socket not working. Not that is matters now my Sat Nav got stolen, I can just join you in being a helluva when I'm lost :p

Hayden Fan
10th April 2007, 20:42

http://www.formula1street.com/
This place sells open wheel cars converted for the street. I've seen alot of rally cars that are street legal. A friend drives a dirt racing car on the road.

Allyc85
11th April 2007, 11:07
all rally cars have to be road legal so they can use the public roads between stages :)

Erki
11th April 2007, 14:24
all rally cars have to be road legal so they can use the public roads between stages :)

They are road legal only during the rally or testing session and local police and stuff have to know about it. At least that's how they do it in Estonia.

Captain VXR
11th April 2007, 14:34
i'd expect they're fully road legal here given the extremes some street legal modified cars go (see my earlier post)

viper_man
11th April 2007, 16:06
They have to have the usual things road cars have, working indicators, all lights working, emissions, tax, test, road tires, and those sort of things, but a lot of them can be.

Modified cars are always road legal as long as they comply to the same rules they did when before modification. Since they are still road cars regardless of what power/body modifications they get.

LotusElise
11th April 2007, 21:16
Some racing cars, especially the ones in lower classes in sprints and hillclimbs, have to be road legal.

I didn't think that noise was tested as part of a normal MOT, although someone with an excessively noisy car could get reported to Environmental Health by their neighbours.