PDA

View Full Version : F1 back in Austria in 2014

truefan72
23rd July 2013, 16:35
Formula 1 - Austria set to host F1 again in 2014 - Yahoo! Eurosport UK (http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-austria-set-host-f1-2014-120931522.html)

As someone who was born and raised in Austria and pretty much grew up on F1 on ORF coverage, I have mixed feelings about the return of F1 to Austira.
Yes I am a glad to see another race on the calendar, which as the way things stand we are looking at a 21 race season?
But No, I hate that perversion of a track they call Red bull ring now.

unless between now and then they plan to lengthen the track, then we could see sub 1:05 lap times with these F1 cars
Hockenheim and the old glorious track layout of the Österreichring, this new track is even more of an abomination than the new hockenheim

We will see...thoughts?

A FONDO
23rd July 2013, 18:02
Perversion of a track - well said :up: I doubt somebody disagrees with that.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd July 2013, 19:37
As someone who never saw a race at the old Osterreichring I never had any problems with the A-1 Ring. I wonder if Coulthard will take off Mika on lap 1 again?

Mark
23rd July 2013, 20:45
Scene of a very long thread on this forum as I recall!

JasonPotato
23rd July 2013, 21:08
Red Bull ring - possibly the worst name i have heard for a race track. Makes Simply Sausages Donington Park sound good!

DazzlaF1
23rd July 2013, 21:30
I agree, no offence to Austrians everywhere but it is a complete bore of a track compared to what it once was

But there is one big omission I noticed from the 2014 provisional list, Where is Suzuka?

dj_bytedisaster
23rd July 2013, 22:29
I remember that the A1 Ring races between 1997 and 2003 were usually quite entertaining in a time when utterly boring races were the norm, so I can't quite see the reason for all this negativity. Unless some people punch the hate button instinctively at the mere mentioning of the words 'Red' and 'Bull' I see no reason to damn a track before it even hosted its first event?

We are never going to see tracks like the Nordschleife, Bern-Bremgarten, the old Österreichring or old Hockenheim again. In today's day and age, where everything has to be hyper-safe, so that nature can't weed out the sick and the stupid anymore, we'll have to make do with tracks like the RB-Ring and Tilke'd Hockenheim. So we can just as well try to make the best of it.

ShiftingGears
24th July 2013, 10:13
I like the A1 Ring more than old Hockenheim. At least the A1 ring isn't just sprints between chicanes. Anyway, a welcome return for me, obviously not Osterreichring but still a nice flowing and picturesque circuit. Unless they've paved the entire countryside with tarmac run-off.

I enjoy how it's a short lap and doesn't have too many corners - makes it unique from all the current tracks that try squeezing in 20 corners in 5km.

ShiftingGears
24th July 2013, 10:15
I agree, no offence to Austrians everywhere but it is a complete bore of a track compared to what it once was

But there is one big omission I noticed from the 2014 provisional list, Where is Suzuka?

http://www.f1-fansite.com/2014-f1-calendar/

10-12 October. Unless the link I provided is incorrect. Shame about Bahrain provisionally opening the season.

Parabolica
24th July 2013, 12:43
Yes, it is a shame the Red Bull Ring is not the old Osterreichring.

Like Spa isn't the old Spa, Monza isn't the old Monza.

Silverstone has had more face lifts than Joan Rivers.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Sage-sg
24th July 2013, 13:59
I'm happy. A1 Ring is one of my favorite tracks!

JH32
24th July 2013, 16:44
Great to have a race at a classic circuit and in a country like Austria with racing culture and not some random country in the middle east without any racing culture what so ever. :D

airshifter
24th July 2013, 18:21
Great to have a race at a classic circuit and in a country like Austria with racing culture and not some random country in the middle east without any racing culture what so ever. :D

But racing culture has to start somewhere. Without introduction of new countries, racing as a culture will not spread.

AndyL
24th July 2013, 19:01
But racing culture has to start somewhere. Without introduction of new countries, racing as a culture will not spread.

The empty grandstands at some of the newer venues suggest that Formula 1 doesn't start racing culture. Surely grass-roots motorsport is where racing culture really starts.

steveaki13
24th July 2013, 21:16
It is nothing like the old Circuit but I always enjoyed the Races at the A1 ring.

The tight and short nature of the track always led to incidents and action. I think sometimes people forget that beacuse they so loved the previous track layout.

Same as Hockenheim. I loved the old layout more, but some of the racing at the new version has been better, if not as challenging.

Coulthard Fan
24th July 2013, 21:46
Been driving this track on the XBOX game Racedriver Grid 2 and it seems like there are a few good overtaking spots!
Not to keen on the name but hey ho it's a track that I felt deserved a place on the calendar.
Overall looking forward to the track!

You never know we may see another Austrian back in F1 soon! Rene Binder looks like the best bet.

DazzlaF1
24th July 2013, 21:50
No Austria in that list, either that list is an error or Red Bull are telling porkies

DazzlaF1
24th July 2013, 21:51
http://www.f1-fansite.com/2014-f1-calendar/

10-12 October. Unless the link I provided is incorrect. Shame about Bahrain provisionally opening the season.

No Austria in that list, so either that list is wrong or Red Bull are telling porkies

steveaki13
24th July 2013, 21:52
I am sure Red Bull will be giving it all sorts of hokie pokie to try and get their track into F1. Afterall the having winning in F1 sorted out, why not switch attention to getting a race on the calender.

MarkJones
25th July 2013, 10:46
We are never going to see tracks like the Nordschleife, Bern-Bremgarten, the old Österreichring or old Hockenheim again. In today's day and age, where everything has to be hyper-safe, so that nature can't weed out the sick and the stupid anymore, we'll have to make do with tracks like the RB-Ring and Tilke'd Hockenheim. So we can just as well try to make the best of it.

Wow, that's depressing.

At least we can chase the old greats in the virtual world, where they live on better than ever. So they're not gone for good.

truefan72
25th July 2013, 12:51
more news and interesting comments by mr. Red bull himself
Formula 1 - Mateschitz to fund Austrian GP himself - Yahoo! Eurosport UK (http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-mateschitz-fund-austrian-gp-100916527.html)

this part I found particularly interesting
"Ticket revenues will probably cover the cost of staging the race, but not the promoter's fee. That's my expense."

how in the world can you as a promoter go into a track and demand they make a loss so you can make an absurd profit
This is an untenable situation and at some point it will backfire.
I know he has an extra special deal with Monza so they make money, but I believe every other track has to be subsidized in order for the "promoters fee" to be paid
ridiculous

vhatever
25th July 2013, 14:45
Formula 1 - Mateschitz to fund Austrian GP himself - Yahoo! Eurosport UK (http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-mateschitz-fund-austrian-gp-100916527.html)

"Ticket revenues will probably cover the cost of staging the race, but not the promoter's fee. That's my expense."

how in the world can you as a promoter go into a track and demand they make a loss so you can make an absurd profit
I know he has an extra special deal with Monza so they make money, but I believe every other track has to be subsidized in order for the "promoters fee" to be paid
ridiculous

Uhh, he said he's paying the fee out of pocket. Duh?

truefan72
25th July 2013, 18:16

I know Bernie has an extra special deal with Monza so they make money, but I believe every other track has to be subsidized in order for the "promoters fee" to be paid
ridiculous

for those who might be confused

vhatever
25th July 2013, 20:31
for those who might be confused

So your problem is that F1 makes money? what do you suppose will happen to F1 when they are no longer making money?

Brown, Jon Brow
25th July 2013, 21:41
So your problem is that F1 makes money? what do you suppose will happen to F1 when they are no longer making money?

I think what he is trying to say is that Bernie is squeezing the circuits so much for his own benefit. But if it gets to the point where the fees are so high the circuits are making a loss, then we might end up with a situation where many circuits just can't afford to host a Grand Prix. Either that or the ticket prices have to go up so much that many fans just can't afford to go.

Like a company squeezing its suppliers so much that the supplier goes out of business. Not a great business model.

vhatever
26th July 2013, 06:24
I think what he is trying to say is that Bernie is squeezing the circuits so much for his own benefit. But if it gets to the point where the fees are so high the circuits are making a loss, then we might end up with a situation where many circuits just can't afford to host a Grand Prix. Either that or the ticket prices have to go up so much that many fans just can't afford to go.

Like a company squeezing its suppliers so much that the supplier goes out of business. Not a great business model.
And yet F1's cup floweth over with future race locale prospects.

pyro2212
26th July 2013, 07:55
may be bernie right

Sage-sg
26th July 2013, 09:07
may be bernie right
Bernie right always. He know what he is doing.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th July 2013, 18:32
And yet F1's cup floweth over with future race locale prospects.

But how many prove to be sustainable? Turkey and Valencia both weren't, and I bet Korea won't last much longer.

kfzmeister
26th July 2013, 18:43
Which of the current driver's has raced F1 on that track?

Brown, Jon Brow
26th July 2013, 18:51
Which of the current driver's has raced F1 on that track?

Button, Massa, Raikkonen, Webber, Alonso

vhatever
26th July 2013, 20:01
But how many prove to be sustainable? Turkey and Valencia both weren't, and I bet Korea won't last much longer.

1. Irrelevant -- there are more people wanting to join than leave
2. Change happens (including global economic ones), with or without a promoter's fee.
3. Areas without a racing/motorsport culture are doomed to failure barring subsidization by the government/royalty, with or without a promoters fee.

As long as number 1 remains true, it would be idiotic for bernie/F1 to not get what they think is a fair market fee for their commodity.

tjoepie
26th July 2013, 20:21
No Austria in that list, so either that list is wrong or Red Bull are telling porkies

I'm not sure I'd trust a website that lists "New Jersey" as a country...

RedBullian1
27th July 2013, 13:24
Does this mean they're removing one race or is this one just being added?

steveaki13
27th July 2013, 13:48
We dont even know if its official do we? Quite often these things dont come true

airshifter
27th July 2013, 17:32
We dont even know if its official do we? Quite often these things dont come true

Very true. I can't remember where I saw it but there are talks that the New Jersey GP is going forward now as well. It ain't over until the fat lady sings.....