PDA

View Full Version : Prince George

Rollo
23rd July 2013, 00:41
Dear Commonwealth,
The future king has now been born. If you all decide to remain and not become republics, then you'll have after Elizabeth II, Charles III, William V and then possibly George VII. When he does become king, he'll be facing to the right on the coins. Scotland, if you do decide to dissolve the Union, then you'll have to work whether to call your new currency a Pound, Merk, Ryal, Noble, Unicorn or something else.

-----<><><><><>-----

Dear America,

Just a warning.
Okay, so you've long since decided that being part of the empire is not for you and you've also decided that the trappings of empire such as cricket, tea, curry, lager, football etc. are also not for you, so this is a heads up to let you know that at some stage in the future, the weird coins which come across the border from Canada and get stuck in your vending machines will possibly bear the name George VII.

We're aware of the trouble that the name George causes you. We admit, one of them was truly bonkers:
http://www.comedy.co.uk/images/library/people/180x200/b/blackadder_s3_prince_george.jpg

Starter
23rd July 2013, 00:57
We're aware of the trouble that the name George causes you. We admit, one of them was truly bonkers:
http://www.comedy.co.uk/images/library/people/180x200/b/blackadder_s3_prince_george.jpg
One of the things which ties us so closely. One of ours was too. :D :p :D

Rollo
23rd July 2013, 01:37
One of the things which ties us so closely. One of ours was too. :D :p :D

To be fair though, the American George was probably grumpy a lot because his gums hurt. Even more bizarre than the myth that he had wooden teeth, was the truth (discovered the Smithsonian) that his dentures had donkey and horse teeth.

Mark
23rd July 2013, 09:14
George is a rubbish name. Edmund is better ;)

Rudy Tamasz
23rd July 2013, 12:17
How about Æthelred or Ælfrǣd for a change?

Mark
23rd July 2013, 13:45
How about Æthelred or Ælfrǣd for a change?

I think the world is unready.

BleAivano
23rd July 2013, 14:31
I hope they go for something new instead of re-using the regular old names.

Maybe Gustaf Harald Kristian Philip. :p

And as a comparison, the Swedish heir's heir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Estelle,_Duchess_of_%C3%96sterg%C3%B6tlan d) (Kings grand daughter) is named Estelle Ewa Silivia Mary.

Gregor-y
23rd July 2013, 14:51
Good thing he had Wellington to keep things running for him.

There was a radio article last week about potential names, focusing on names continue to denote class separations that persist in the UK. As such we're not likely to see a Prince Ashley, Bert, Nigel, Jeremy, and so on.

It's a shame; I'd get a real chuckle out of King Keith.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd July 2013, 16:56
Is Charles going to be King Charles III or is he going to use a different name? Charles I didn't have very good rep.

Gregor-y
23rd July 2013, 17:26
How about Charles Hanover I?

Mark
23rd July 2013, 20:46
IIRC he wanted to be King Edward. Which is a bit daft after all his mother named him Charles.

Gregor-y
23rd July 2013, 21:05
That would complete the joke, though he's still next in line. :p :

Rollo
23rd July 2013, 23:36
Is Charles going to be King Charles III or is he going to use a different name? Charles I didn't have very good rep.

I think it'll be Elizabeth II -> Charles III -> William V -> George VII.

I'll probably be dead when George VII becomes king. English monarchs tend to be long lived these days. There is always the possibility that Charles III will be as short reigning as Edward VII for the same reason, his mum hung around for a very long time. Charles is 64 now and has been waiting to inherit the family business for a long time.

tfp
24th July 2013, 00:09
They should call him Murray walker the second :champion:

Mark
24th July 2013, 09:10
They should name him 'Prince', so it would be "Prince Prince", although it would then be King Prince, which would be odd.

Starter
24th July 2013, 13:27
They should name him 'Prince', so it would be "Prince Prince", although it would then be King Prince, which would be odd.
And his wife would be King Prince's Queen? :p

Rollo
24th July 2013, 13:33

Call the kid "Four".

That way when Andrew Mitchell does decide to start swearing at police officers, he can say "Pleb to King Four". Of course it does mean that the Archbishop of Canterbury will have to start moving diagonally...

steveaki13
24th July 2013, 22:20
George it is.

Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge.

Later to become King George VII

Mark
25th July 2013, 10:23
George it is.

Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge.

Later to become King George VII

Not necessarily of course. There has been speculation - in fact by Prince Charles himself, that when he takes the throne he may well wish to be known as King George VII. Which I think would be silly in the light of his grandson also being called George, it would cause confusion, not least because the world has known him as Charles for 65 years!

ShiftingGears
25th July 2013, 12:17
I cannot wait until reports about this baby are deemed unworthy of news coverage here.

gadjo_dilo
25th July 2013, 12:32
George.....
How nice. A name with so many diminutives - Gigi, Gica, Gicu, Georgica :laugh:

BleAivano
25th July 2013, 12:38
They should've gone with Petter Niklas. :p :D

Brown, Jon Brow
25th July 2013, 18:16
Great thinking by Kate. Now if she shops at Asda she won't have to worry about writing 'George' in his school P.E kit.

Gregor-y
25th July 2013, 18:23
From what I've seen a prince seems to be able to take any of their multiple names when becoming king. Elizabeth's father George VI was named Albert Frederic George and was Prince Albert before becoming king.

I don't think the UK's going to have a King Louis or Alexander, though.

vhatever
25th July 2013, 20:42
George?

That's racist.

D-Type
26th July 2013, 00:05
Come to think of it, the name George is almost inevitable. If you accept that it has to be a traditional king's name and you don't want duplication the choice is very limited as we already have Princes William, Henry, Edward, and Charles which only leaves George, Stephen and James. James would remind people of James Hewitt and nobody has heard of Stephen so George it has to be!

Bagwan
26th July 2013, 13:21
I was hoping for "the artist" , formerly known as "prince" .

Bagwan
26th July 2013, 13:22
Come to think of it, the name George is almost inevitable. If you accept that it has to be a traditional king's name and you don't want duplication the choice is very limited as we already have Princes William, Henry, Edward, and Charles which only leaves George, Stephen and James. James would remind people of James Hewitt and nobody has heard of Stephen so George it has to be!

Mind if we call you George , then , just to avoid confusion ?

AndyL
26th July 2013, 16:06
Looks like Wills and Kate are Seinfeld fans :)
Their favourite character must be George Louis Costanza, played by Jason Alexander.

Tazio
29th July 2013, 14:38

Dear America,

Just a warning.
Okay, so you've long since decided that being part of the empire is not for you and you've also decided that the trappings of empire such as cricket, tea, curry, lager, football etc. are also not for you,

You're painting with too broad a brush my man. Lager beer is very popular in the US, and Samuel Adams Amber Lager is one of the most popular "quality beers" in "The States" There has been an explosion of micro-breweries in the US (especially on the west coast) whose fare can satiate even the most discerning palate(to say nothing of the olde' standards that are imported. Just where did you get the idea that Americans don't like curry?

This is one of my fav (very casual) Restaurants in Pacific Beach :bulb:

https://plus.google.com/105595167114272744532/photos?hl=en&socfid=web:lu:kp :p lacepageimage&socpid=1#105595167114272744532/photos?hl=en&socfid=web%3Alu%3Akp%3Aplacepageimage&socpid=1

The U.S. big place we’ve got a little of everything. Sometimes you have to separate the simpletons from the informed, worldlier scrub bro dudes. ;)

At any rate congrat's on your royal addition :)

Mark in Oshawa
8th August 2013, 02:05
Well my mother in law has wallpapered the house with all sorts of magazines and pictures of the Royal Couple and the little one. Long live the Royals....sure it makes ZERO sense in our modern democracy, but I have grown up with that nice lady on my money, I am not looking forward to Charles ever succeeding her, but I think with Wills and the new kid coming, if they can just get past Charles, the Monarchy will survive in the Commonwealth.

As for the Americans, they tossed the Monarchy away in the Revolution, but have tried to re create it in some weird sense with the Presidency and Hollywood. And I remember the mania Princess Diana created when she showed up on American soil. Me thinks maybe you are jealous...lol...

Gregor-y
12th August 2013, 21:31
I remember in 1997 when she died the only person in the place where I was working that said 'good riddance to the *****' (in no uncertain terms) was English.

edv
15th August 2013, 19:31
I guess someone didn't like my reference to the Prince George Cougars of the Western Hockey League. LOL

D-Type
15th August 2013, 22:13
I guess someone didn't like my reference to the Prince George Cougars of the Western Hockey League. LOLOh, is that what it was about? I thought it was a totally irrelevant post so I deleted it.