PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Riddle

AndySpeed
9th April 2007, 19:13
One of my mates from Middlesbrough uses this saying to mean go to the toilet, something I was unaware of until last October. "I'm off for a jimmy riddle..."

Does anyone else know of or have any of their own unusual sayings that they use often?

Bezza
9th April 2007, 19:33
Jimmy Riddle = piddle

BDunnell
9th April 2007, 19:35
This is a genuinely fascinating linguistic question. I'm sure there have been studies of it, looking into how many different phrases there are for urinating. I would like to start the list by offering that old favourite, 'syphoning the python'.

Sleeper
9th April 2007, 19:46
One that a few friends use is "Drain the main vein"

Drew
9th April 2007, 19:54
It might also be useful to include the meaning..

I'm sure I have some, I just can't think of any atm

Sleeper
9th April 2007, 20:10
All three so far mean the same thing.

Captain VXR
9th April 2007, 21:20
2s and 3s

LotusElise
9th April 2007, 21:41
Going for a wazz is a nice way of putting it.

Hazell B
9th April 2007, 22:27
Jimmy Riddle = piddle

Pony and trap = well, you work it out :p :

Can't believe there's a person out there who's not heard Cockney rhymming slang like that before. It's on TV all the time. Mind you, I know people who can't work out text speak, so I guess it's just what you happen to remember and notice rather than lack of hearing or seeing it.

"...where's the apples?"
Apples and pears = stairs.

"Had a potshot at some Nuns ......."
Nuns in habbits = rabbits.

Bezza
9th April 2007, 22:55
He's telling porkies = pork pies = lies. Amazingly how it took me half an hour to explain this to one of my mates!

My personal favourite of describing the need to go to the toilet is "I'm going for a slash"

Captain VXR
10th April 2007, 09:33
going to the little girls room is another

GridGirl
10th April 2007, 09:40
It wasnt until recently that I realised there were that many names for bread. What I'd call a cob, is call a bap, roll, and breadcake etc. in other parts of the country.

Mark
10th April 2007, 09:44
It wasnt until recently that I realised there were that many names for bread. What I'd call a cob, is call a bap, roll, and breadcake etc. in other parts of the country.

Stottie :D

BDunnell
10th April 2007, 09:55
I never realised that spring onions are also known as scallions until I moved to the north for university, even though my grandmother on my father's side is from Sheffield (where I happened to study) and my dad grew up there.

BeansBeansBeans
10th April 2007, 10:08

Do you mean a barm cake?

When I first moved up to Newcaslte, I went into a chippy and requested a chip barm. I received nothing but blank looks. Turned out it's known as a chip buttie or chip stottie up here. Crazy Geordies.

Also, Fishcakes are known as savouries in Liverpool, but Fishcakes everywhere else.

BDunnell
10th April 2007, 10:54
What on earth is a chip barm? Where does that phrase originate?

(EDIT — Actually, forget the first of those two questions. Why I wrote that bit, I don't know...)

Drew
10th April 2007, 11:28
My personal favourite of describing the need to go to the toilet is "I'm going for a slash"

Do you also do the hand movement?

AndySpeed
10th April 2007, 12:09
Do you also do the hand movement?

If you're in a noisy club, maybe :p :

GridGirl
10th April 2007, 13:21
Stottie! Barn Cake!

There was no need to introduce even more names for bread and confuse me even more.

Hotbikerchic33
11th April 2007, 08:32
Do you mean a barm cake?

When I first moved up to Newcaslte, I went into a chippy and requested a chip barm. I received nothing but blank looks. Turned out it's known as a chip buttie or chip stottie up here. Crazy Geordies.

Also, Fishcakes are known as savouries in Liverpool, but Fishcakes everywhere else.

I am not a Geordie or do i live in Geordieland but a chip buttie is still a chip buttie here!!! and here is Lincolnshire!! :D

My Nana used to call a bottle of pop a flaggen of pop!!

slinkster
11th April 2007, 10:39
There were many drunken debates at uni about various local dialects...

I learnt that a gully (alleyway) is also a snicket and a jitty. :)

Drew
11th April 2007, 17:26
See, I live in about the most Southern place in Britain and I've always known it to be either a chip sandwich or a chip butty. I've never heard of barm before.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th April 2007, 19:59
Barm is a Lancashire word that I (coming from Cumbria) don't approve of :rolleyes:

I have a friend from Accrington who asked for a 'butty' when he was in America and they thought that he was giving them abuse. :laugh:

My fave cockney slang is Tommie Tank = :erm:

Their are some cracking words in cumbrian dialect such as piffle, tipple, yan etc...

martinbalmer
11th April 2007, 20:06
One of my mates from Middlesbrough uses this saying to mean go to the toilet, something I was unaware of until last October. "I'm off for a jimmy riddle..."

Does anyone else know of or have any of their own unusual sayings that they use often?

I always said "jimmy widdle" rather than riddle.

It was also how the late Jimmy the mouse came to acquire his name. Based on his smell, like.

AndySpeed
11th April 2007, 20:22
There were many drunken debates at uni about various local dialects...

I learnt that a gully (alleyway) is also a snicket and a jitty. :)

Barm is a Lancashire word that I (coming from Cumbria) don't approve of :rolleyes:

Their are some cracking words in cumbrian dialect such as piffle, tipple, yan etc...

Tell me about it! Still going on, the whole accent thing at uni... it even rubs off occasionally.

Barm is a stupid word

Funks
11th April 2007, 21:08
Hit and Miss.

Drew
11th April 2007, 23:27

Don't Cumbrian farmers even have their own way of counting?

allycat228
12th April 2007, 00:40
yes, there is yan, tan, tetherer and i think betherer and a few more i think that those are 1 2 3 4, i have a book about it somewhere (cumbrian Dialect)