PDA

View Full Version : Vettel may quit in 5 years

bontebempo
4th June 2013, 12:27
BBC Sport - Sebastian Vettel says he may quit Formula 1 in five years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22760347)

Well to be honest a lot can happen in 2 years. Who is really thinking 5 years down the road? Are we all supposed to be on tenterhooks for 5 years!!!! Will he or wont he????

henners88
4th June 2013, 12:35
He has said on numerous occasions he isn't planning on being an F1 driver long into his 30's. He's a triple WDC by 25 which is an amazing achievement and to be honest I think any driver would be happy to have achieved that by the end of their careers let alone near the start. He has also made no secret that he likes records so perhaps he is expecting to win the next 5 championships therefore retiring as an 8 times WDC? Seriously though he can do what he wants and I don't think fans need to worry too much, 5 years is a long time in F1 and the grid will look very different then too. We may not have Alonso, Kimi, Hamilton or Vettel on the grid in 5 years. :)

dj_bytedisaster
4th June 2013, 12:45
BBC Sport - Sebastian Vettel says he may quit Formula 1 in five years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22760347)

Well to be honest a lot can happen in 2 years. Who is really thinking 5 years down the road? Are we all supposed to be on tenterhooks for 5 years!!!! Will he or wont he????

That's not what he said in the interview, which was conducted in German. He said that he hasn't decided on the future and wouldn't rule out anything. The phrase he used went like,

"I could stay with Red Bull for all my career or perhaps I will feel like searching for a new challenge and switch teams or I may stop in 5 years. Everything may happen.

Big Ben
4th June 2013, 13:10
So then we should change the title of the thread/ I propose Vettel talked much, said little

dj_bytedisaster
4th June 2013, 13:29
That pretty much summed it up.

Whyzars
4th June 2013, 15:06
8 world championships seems a good figure to bow out on...

steveaki13
4th June 2013, 22:17
I think its one of those things someone says in an interview. "Well I might race until Im 40 but may only race til I'm 30"

Then someone takes that as Vettel saying he may retire in 5 years.

Until then lets just enjoy the ride.

CNR
5th June 2013, 00:13
this started 3 days ago with Vettel won't 'stay forever' | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video (http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/18227/8754892/Vettel-won-t-stay-forever)-
"Maybe I won't be driving in five years because I'm tired of it," the 25-year-old told Motorsport-Total.
"Maybe in five years I'll be with another team because I feel like a different challenge.
"Everyone evolves over the years and priorities shift."
However, he added: "At the moment I'm very comfortable and cannot imagine going somewhere else at some stage.
but then again casey stoner walked away at 27

kfzmeister
5th June 2013, 02:35
For cryin out loud, bring on the Canadian GP. I can't believe we've actually got a thread about this.
:erm:
Here, i'll start the next one: Vettel says he's not really the nice guy that everyone makes him out to be.
Discuss. :)

dj_bytedisaster
5th June 2013, 04:55
How about I call you a nasty name, you return the favour and we flame the raw stuffing out of each other until FP1 in Montreal. Everything should be better than discussing these non-stories. :p

TheFamousEccles
5th June 2013, 05:50
I agree. Too much time to ponder the ins and outs of a 25yo WDC x3. Lets have handbags at arms length, start swinging gents.

webberf1
5th June 2013, 08:33
Everyone knows Vettel isnt going anywhere. He's too obsessed with scoring records to give up that soon.

dj_bytedisaster
5th June 2013, 08:51
Everyone knows Vettel isnt going anywhere. He's too obsessed with scoring records to give up that soon.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If you listen to the spat between him and his race engineer over team radio after his fastest lap in Monaco, it is easy to hear that things aren't so rosy in the Red Bull camp anymore. That's the second time he locked horns with the team and it won't be the last time either. I wouldn't say it is inevitable that he stays. And while he pays more attention to records than Schumacher did, he's not obsessed with them and frankly if he were sitting in this year's Ferrari he'd have a better shot at improving his stats than in the tyre-eating Red Bull.

faster69
5th June 2013, 12:29
I can remember people stories in 2000 of Schumacher quitting if he wins the 2000 title. No way he quits at 30.

The gulf between Vettel and Alonso has widened this year and for now Hamilton isn't in the conversation. He's clearly the best driver on the grid, and I think he'll romp to this title if Red Bull can at least give him the second best car on the grid (currently 3rd best maybe 4th best if Mercedes have figured out the tyres) giving him an incredible four titles.

It seems inevitable that he'll get Schumacher's title record, but it can change really quickly. After Hamilton's first season in McLaren then winning it in 2008, who could have predicted that five years later he'd never win another title at McLaren and would get destroyed by a teammate at Mercedes that most people didn't rate at all. He's gone from looking like the next Senna to looking like the next Villeneuve.

Alonso wins two titles at Renault and seven years later he's still trying for a third despite going to the best car of 2007 in McLaren (and getting matched by his rookie teammate) and failing for three straight years at Ferrari despite all the resources available to him, all his experience, and from day one being given a car good enough to win a championship (finishes 1-2 in Bahrain to start 2010). Instead he loses in 2010 to a third year driver that was 4th in the championship with two races remaining.

How about Kimi? Ferrari boot Schumacher out of Ferrari because they believe Kimi is the best driver in F1. He becomes the highest paid driver in F1. Barely beats Massa in 2007, Massa beats him straight up in 2008. One title to show for all his years driving Newey cars and slotting into Schumacher's drive at Ferrari. Goes to Lotus and all of a sudden they're competitive and in realistic contention for the championship (Vettel would be comfortably leading the championship in the Lotus). One championship to show for it!

Who knows. Someone like Perez might turn into the new Vettel with another year. There's Hulkenberg, Bianchi. I almost think if Alonso or Kimi can't get it done this year then Ferrari will begin plotting to replace Alonso and Lotus won't put up a fight to keep Kimi.

henners88
5th June 2013, 12:38
It seems inevitable that he'll get Schumacher's title record, but it can change really quickly. After Hamilton's first season in McLaren then winning it in 2008, who could have predicted that five years later he'd never win another title at McLaren and would get destroyed by a teammate at Mercedes that most people didn't rate at all. He's gone from looking like the next Senna to looking like the next Villeneuve.
He's yet to be destroyed by his team mate at Mercedes unless you have a crystal ball lol. I don't think I've ever read such a load of deliberately provocative fanboy tripe in my life. We've been here many, many times before haven't we old friend? :p

Big Ben
5th June 2013, 13:19
Oh brother... I haven't read such nonsense in years. RBR is the 4th best car :laugh: ... I'm sure he could beat them all in a Trabant

henners88
5th June 2013, 14:32
Vettel has also publicly said on a few occasions he wants to drive for Ferrari. He's got 5 years left (possibly) and Alonso still has a long term contract, so they'll either be team mates or he'll push Freddy out of Ferrari. Highly unlikely as Alonso is often tipped as the most complete driver on the grid so this would be an interesting turn of events. I think we'll lose Adrian Newey from the sport long before Vettel hangs up his gloves. :)

kfzmeister
5th June 2013, 17:00
I think we'll lose Adrian Newey from the sport long before Vettel hangs up his gloves. :)

True dat if he keeps on crashing his own cars. Lol

henners88
5th June 2013, 17:57
True dat if he keeps on crashing his own cars. Lol
Indeed lol

http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1/158667-adrian-newey-not-good-driving-designing.html

If he survives that he's hinted into going into yacht design as its his second passion apparently :)

kfzmeister
6th June 2013, 18:39
Looks like he'll have no problem finding things to do when he does retire! :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMFUqEQCUAEQjpX.jpg:large

jens
7th June 2013, 12:59
In 5 years' time certainly something changes in Vettel's career. But it doesn't mean he will quit F1. More likely he will have changed teams by then. Everyone relishes new challenges every now and then. Vettel still in Red Bull Racing in 2018? I don't think so.

Keyser Soze
7th June 2013, 13:58
Understanding the benefits of strategic planning. Provides an opportunity to influence the future.

The Black Knight
7th June 2013, 13:59
I can remember people stories in 2000 of Schumacher quitting if he wins the 2000 title. No way he quits at 30.

The gulf between Vettel and Alonso has widened this year and for now Hamilton isn't in the conversation. He's clearly the best driver on the grid, and I think he'll romp to this title if Red Bull can at least give him the second best car on the grid (currently 3rd best maybe 4th best if Mercedes have figured out the tyres) giving him an incredible four titles.

Alonso wins two titles at Renault and seven years later he's still trying for a third despite going to the best car of 2007 in McLaren (and getting matched by his rookie teammate) and failing for three straight years at Ferrari despite all the resources available to him, all his experience, and from day one being given a car good enough to win a championship (finishes 1-2 in Bahrain to start 2010). Instead he loses in 2010 to a third year driver that was 4th in the championship with two races remaining.

How about Kimi? Ferrari boot Schumacher out of Ferrari because they believe Kimi is the best driver in F1. He becomes the highest paid driver in F1. Barely beats Massa in 2007, Massa beats him straight up in 2008. One title to show for all his years driving Newey cars and slotting into Schumacher's drive at Ferrari. Goes to Lotus and all of a sudden they're competitive and in realistic contention for the championship (Vettel would be comfortably leading the championship in the Lotus). One championship to show for it!

Who knows. Someone like Perez might turn into the new Vettel with another year. There's Hulkenberg, Bianchi. I almost think if Alonso or Kimi can't get it done this year then Ferrari will begin plotting to replace Alonso and Lotus won't put up a fight to keep Kimi.

Dribble dribble dribble...

zako85
12th June 2013, 10:41
Vettel just signed with RBR for 2015.

henners88
12th June 2013, 10:43
He'll retire in 2 years then :D

dj_bytedisaster
12th June 2013, 12:00
The length of the extension is telling though - only one year. If he'd be planning on a long time future with RB, he'd have signed a 3 or 4 year gig. I think he has something other in mind for 2016

Big Ben
12th June 2013, 12:07
yeah... lets hope it's nascar :laugh:

henners88
12th June 2013, 12:27
The length of the extension is telling though - only one year. If he'd be planning on a long time future with RB, he'd have signed a 3 or 4 year gig. I think he has something other in mind for 2016
Perhaps a Ferrari move? Alonso signed until the end of 2016 didn't he? Perhaps its an option for that year and Luca will elbow him out like Michael and Kimi to get Seb in? We'll see.

Ranger
12th June 2013, 12:57

Possibly, but 2016 is still two and a half years away. I wouldn't read too much into it at the moment.

steveaki13
12th June 2013, 19:28
Strange to sign a 1 year deal.

If he had wanted to move on, which it might be time too, he would go but now signing another year strikes me as strange

dj_bytedisaster
12th June 2013, 19:59
Well to me it looks as if it is timed to coincide with either Hamilton or Alonso's contracts running out. Him going to McLaren would be epic, too, but I don't think he'd fare well in the peculiar climate there. Certainly doesn't look like he want's to stay at RB forever, else the contract extension would've been longer.

steveaki13
12th June 2013, 20:07
Well to me it looks as if it is timed to coincide with either Hamilton or Alonso's contracts running out. Him going to McLaren would be epic, too, but I don't think he'd fare well in the peculiar climate there. Certainly doesn't look like he want's to stay at RB forever, else the contract extension would've been longer.

I would think Ferrari or Mercedes would be the only 2 destinations for him, if these teams are at the front. Cant see him going to Mclaren.

zako85
12th June 2013, 21:15

Vettel is not the kind of driver who will ever find difficulties finding a seat at RBR or other team. That's why he doesn't need to sign for more than 1-3 years at a time. On the other hand, drivers who may feel less secure would jump at the opportunity to sign 3-5 year long contract. For example, I believe Button and Rosberg signed a 5 year extension with their teams in 2011.

Another reason Vettel signed for just one more year is because the 2015 was an option in an already signed contract (years ago), which he decided to take. Post-2015 he would have to negotiate a new contract, even with RBR.

Knock-on
12th June 2013, 23:36
At the moment he's in the best car with a team built around him. How long his petulance lasts and how long the teams patience holds depends on whether Newey can maintain RB's advantage.

Once the other teams get on par, which is still a little way off but the gap is closing, then change will happen.

McLaren won't touch him, Merc would but it depends what Fred does. At the moment, Alonso would butt feck him in equal machinery but he's at the top of his game and might not be in 5 years.

I can only really see him going to Ferrari; and failing.

vhatever
13th June 2013, 01:07
At the moment he's in the best car with a team built around him. How long his petulance lasts and how long the teams patience holds depends on whether Newey can maintain RB's advantage.

Once the other teams get on par, which is still a little way off but the gap is closing, then change will happen.

McLaren won't touch him, Merc would but it depends what Fred does. At the moment, Alonso would butt feck him in equal machinery but he's at the top of his game and might not be in 5 years.

I can only really see him going to Ferrari; and failing.

LOL fred has had the best overall package this season and he's more eating vettel's turds than doing anything else. Little Lewy had the best car last season, and how well did that go for him? It
s obvious you don't even watch F1, just vomit up the local pub hooligans bigotry instead. Over the last 5-6 years. f1 has never been so close performance-wise. Teams are as equal as they have ever been and probably ever will be, both in driver talent and in performance of the cars. Don't be so petty and upset that vettel is so great and he's German. You don't wear it well.

henners88
13th June 2013, 07:15
I stand in awe at one of the most intelligent replies in this forums history :D

Knock-on
13th June 2013, 17:06
:laugh: I know what you mean. He'll never change will he. ;)

pino
13th June 2013, 17:48
Alonso has had the best overall package this year ??? :confused: I must have watched different qual/pole/races so far...

vhatever
13th June 2013, 18:37
Alonso has had the best overall package this year ??? :confused: I must have watched different qual/pole/races so far...

A bit of bad luck and the fact overrated Alonso has been terrible in qualy for far too long now. Take off the nando glasses, seriously. He is no schmacher, or vettel for that matter.

dj_bytedisaster
13th June 2013, 18:57

On tracks that are hard on tyres, the Ferrari IS the best package, I think. It certainly works better than everything else. The RB eats rubber, the Lotus is too slow and the less said about McLaren the better.

henners88
13th June 2013, 19:10
Give Alonso the best car and he will deliver. The Ferrari this year has the potential, but is nowhere near as consistent as the Red Bull so far. Vettel has won 3 races now. You don't do that in the third or fourth best car on the grid.

dj_bytedisaster
13th June 2013, 19:30
Give Alonso the best car and he will deliver. The Ferrari this year has the potential, but is nowhere near as consistent as the Red Bull so far. Vettel has won 3 races now. You don't do that in the third or fourth best car on the grid.

The Red Bull fails, when it has to go through the pack. That's why Mark has been anonymous at best so far. He never had the chance to conserve tyres. If they can open up a gap early in the race and then turn down the pace to nurse the tyres, the RB's are certainly the best cars so far, but if they're forced to fight, there rubber is gone in an instant.

vhatever
13th June 2013, 19:35

That's nice. Too bad for alonso that Vettel has no problem delivering even when not in the best car.

henners88
13th June 2013, 19:36
The Mercedes is the worst of the top teams in the scenario you mention. Put them in dirty air and they go backwards. The RedBull has the advantage that once at the front it has the pace to remain there. Only the Ferrari has been able to match this on occasion this season. That excludes a Mercedes holding on to a victory by making itself as wide as possible at Monaco.

henners88
13th June 2013, 19:39
That's nice. Too bad for alonso that Vettel has no problem delivering even when not in the best car.
That depends whether Alonso and the rest of us discussing feel your personal opinion actually holds any weight. The jury is out on that one old friend.

vhatever
13th June 2013, 19:41
That depends whether Alonso and the rest of us discussing feel your personal opinion actually holds any weight. The jury is out on that one old friend.

Reality doesn't depend on you for anything.

dj_bytedisaster
13th June 2013, 19:44
The Mercedes is the worst of the top teams in the scenario you mention. Put them in dirty air and they go backwards. The RedBull has the advantage that once at the front it has the pace to remain there. Only the Ferrari has been able to match this on occasion this season. That excludes a Mercedes holding on to a victory by making itself as wide as possible at Monaco.

Well, they didn't look half bad in Canada, but with the track being easy on the tyres both RB and Merc could use their cars strengths. If they hadn't come up with the ridiculous idea to run Nico on the unsuitable supersofts twice, it could have been Nico on the podium. He looks more comfortable in that car than Lewis (yet). I think Silverstone will be the litmus test really. It's the only track that's equally hard on tyres than Barcelona. That'll tell if RB found anything to make the tyres work and if Mercedes learned anything in that private tutoring lesson of theirs in Barcelona. Considering that he's done well there in the past, my money's on Fernando though. He's won there before even in years when the Ferrari was a long way behind the lemonade cans.

henners88
13th June 2013, 19:45
Reality doesn't depend on you for anything.
Exactly, an opinion here is just what it is. Pumping ones chest with broad statements is all well and good, but it doesn't necessarily convince anyone.

henners88
13th June 2013, 19:49
Well, they didn't look half bad in Canada, but with the track being easy on the tyres both RB and Merc could use their cars strengths. If they hadn't come up with the ridiculous idea to run Nico on the unsuitable supersofts twice, it could have been Nico on the podium. He looks more comfortable in that car than Lewis (yet). I think Silverstone will be the litmus test really. It's the only track that's equally hard on tyres than Barcelona. That'll tell if RB found anything to make the tyres work and if Mercedes learned anything in that private tutoring lesson of theirs in Barcelona. Considering that he's done well there in the past, my money's on Fernando though. He's won there before even in years when the Ferrari was a long way behind the lemonade cans.
Silverstone is a total jinx to Hamilton so I doubt it will prove much between the Merc drivers. Hamilton is struggling by admission, but not to the extent of his predecessor. Next season will be the real test for me, when the regs change and both drivers will be facing the same learning curve together. I expect Lewis to improve this season of course. It's still close. I've given up discussing the test fiasco.

dj_bytedisaster
13th June 2013, 19:55
Silverstone is a total jinx to Hamilton so I doubt it will prove much between the Merc drivers. Hamilton is struggling by admission, but not to the extent of his predecessor. Next season will be the real test for me, when the regs change and both drivers will be facing the same learning curve together. I expect Lewis to improve this season of course. It's still close. I've given up discussing the test fiasco.

Does Lewis still use different brakes than Nico or is he trying to adapt the ones Merc normally uses? I remember that he ran brakes from a different supplier in the early races and he looked much better than Nico in comparison than he did lately.

henners88
13th June 2013, 19:58
Does Lewis still use different brakes than Nico or is he trying to adapt the ones Merc normally uses? I remember that he ran brakes from a different supplier in the early races and he looked much better than Nico in comparison than he did lately.
I have no idea to be honest. It's possible.

DexDexter
13th June 2013, 20:06
The Red Bull fails, when it has to go through the pack. That's why Mark has been anonymous at best so far. He never had the chance to conserve tyres. If they can open up a gap early in the race and then turn down the pace to nurse the tyres, the RB's are certainly the best cars so far, but if they're forced to fight, there rubber is gone in an instant.

It's not the rubber that makes Red Bull vulnerable in traffic, it's their whole setup. Their cars are always slow on the straight line, have been for years, and that's a problem for them if they cannot escape from the start.

dj_bytedisaster
13th June 2013, 20:11
It's not the rubber that makes Red Bull vulnerable in traffic, it's their whole setup. Their cars are always slow on the straight line, have been for years, and that's a problem for them if they cannot escape from the start.

The slow straightline speed is not a bug, it's a feature with the RB's. They're optimized for cornering speeds and corner exit especially. That's where the shorter gearbox setup pays off. That they could do otherwise if they wanted was more than convincingly proven at Abu Dhabi last year. But that's exactly where this years tyres relieve themselves all over their parade. The RB is optimized for high cornering speeds and that puts a high lateral load on the tyres, which they can't withstand, since they're been weakened for 2013, especially lateral stability has been reduced. This is also, why just about everyone struggles with the rear tyres, while RB destroy their front tyres.

DexDexter
13th June 2013, 21:02
The slow straightline speed is not a bug, it's a feature with the RB's. They're optimized for cornering speeds and corner exit especially. That's where the shorter gearbox setup pays off. That they could do otherwise if they wanted was more than convincingly proven at Abu Dhabi last year. But that's exactly where this years tyres relieve themselves all over their parade. The RB is optimized for high cornering speeds and that puts a high lateral load on the tyres, which they can't withstand, since they're been weakened for 2013, especially lateral stability has been reduced. This is also, why just about everyone struggles with the rear tyres, while RB destroy their front tyres.

The Renault engine does play a part in the lack of straightline speed. Monza is the place where you can see it, even from TV. Lotus and Red Bull just don't have the same amount of grunt as Merc and Ferrari, they can go for a short gearing (Red Bull) or long (Lotus) but they still lack overall performance enginewise. (at Monza).

dj_bytedisaster
13th June 2013, 21:13
The Renault engine does play a part in the lack of straightline speed. Monza is the place where you can see it, even from TV. Lotus and Red Bull just don't have the same amount of grunt as Merc and Ferrari, they can go for a short gearing (Red Bull) or long (Lotus) but they still lack overall performance enginewise. (at Monza).

The Renault engine always struck me as a wee bit down on power, but the most 'driveable' of the lot. It certainly was enough to rack up three championships and the Lotus last year wasn't too shabby either, so maybe they lack the odd horse here or there, but they seem to be better at power delivery.

henners88
14th June 2013, 08:01
The Renault engine always struck me as a wee bit down on power, but the most 'driveable' of the lot. It certainly was enough to rack up three championships and the Lotus last year wasn't too shabby either, so maybe they lack the odd horse here or there, but they seem to be better at power delivery.
Don't forget Renault were given permission during the 2011 season to work on their reliability and many reckoned it gave them a bit more horsepower. Same with Ferrari, although weren't they stopped from doing certain things because the FIA felt it gave them an unfair advantage? My memory is hazy on that one.

truefan72
14th June 2013, 22:22

nope, and that is one of his issues, he is not using his prferreded brakes and has taken a while to get acustomed to what the mercs wantto/are running

vhatever
15th June 2013, 18:50
nope, and that is one of his issues, he is not using his prferreded brakes and has taken a while to get acustomed to what the mercs wantto/are running

Lewy's fans have an excuse for everything. there is no reason he should still be trying to get used to a car with all the miles he's put on it now.

Dave B
15th June 2013, 19:28
A bit of bad luck and the fact overrated Alonso has been terrible in qualy for far too long now. Take off the nando glasses, seriously. He is no schmacher, or vettel for that matter.
Eh? I'm no Alonso fan, but even I'll admit he's one of the top drivers of this generation. The amount of times he's dragged a mediocre car to the podium positions is nothing short of phenomenal. Maybe his legendary "six tenths" was an exaggeration, but if I was putting together a team he'd be right at the sharp end of my headhunting list.

kfzmeister
16th June 2013, 04:31

I remember Alonso straight out taking it to Schumacher in 2006, so he was really better than Schumacher in arguably equal equipment. Poles and all.
The only time since then when he's really had an outright Championship winning car was in 2007. We know the hard road back since. He's long overdue for another title.

kfzmeister
16th June 2013, 04:34
Saw this sticker today. Couldn't resist. :D :D :D
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/1013890_10200404207649410_1354591857_n.jpg

zako85
16th June 2013, 05:15
^

LOL. The myth of "the car that drives itself" lives.

vhatever
17th June 2013, 23:19
^

Really makes you wonder what Newey was doing the decade or so before Vettel showed up. Since Schumacher made a career of slapping around super duper Neweymobiles,. he must be god among men, and doubly so among race car drivers.

henners88
18th June 2013, 08:15
^

Sometimes these myths have to come back and prove themselves. Remember the ones where Schumacher could win in a Minardi or mid field car? Michael was very kind to come back and put that one to bed however. In the case of Vettel, he's a world class driver and a world class car needs this element to be successful. Unfortunately long gone are the days where a world class driver could make up the difference. There are too many variables with tyres and DRS. The car makes all the difference and right now Red Bull are on a three year development curve where success has flowed. the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren have gone back to the drawing board so many times its no wonder they are off the pace. The catch up game has been played for a long time now and although they are all nearly there, a few tenths makes all the difference. I think next season with the new engine regs will shake things up a bit and we'll have everyone starting from scratch. Exciting times ahead. :)

henners88
18th June 2013, 14:18
Rumours are starting to surface about another possible advantage Red Bull may have. You have to love F1, they all find ways to accuse each other of cheating lol I spotted this on twitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zxig8iM7jDU

The video shows Mark Webber gaining what is described as too much traction after touching the Caterham. He leaves marks which Italian magazine Autosprint has suggested could be a TC system on the car. I'd love it if true, but I do think this is yet another attack on Newey's almost flawless design. Lets see if the FIA decide to investigate :)

vhatever
18th June 2013, 16:38
Sometimes these myths have to come back and prove themselves. Remember the ones where Schumacher could win in a Minardi or mid field car? Michael was very kind to come back and put that one to bed however. In the case of Vettel, he's a world class driver and a world class car needs this element to be successful. Unfortunately long gone are the days where a world class driver could make up the difference. There are too many variables with tyres and DRS. The car makes all the difference and right now Red Bull are on a three year development curve where success has flowed. the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren have gone back to the drawing board so many times its no wonder they are off the pace. The catch up game has been played for a long time now and although they are all nearly there, a few tenths makes all the difference. I think next season with the new engine regs will shake things up a bit and we'll have everyone starting from scratch. Exciting times ahead. :)

Theoretically, more variabless like DRS and such would make it more likely a lesser car could still outperform a better car.

Oh and:

Italian Grand Prix, Monza 2008, Last Lap & Podium - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKnfW0a-Sos)

henners88
18th June 2013, 17:29
Theoretically but the proof is in the pudding. Other variables come into play like cars fast over a single lap going backwards in a race due to fast degrading tyres. Plus the regulations have changed dramatically since 2008 ;)

vhatever
20th June 2013, 06:58
Theoretically but the proof is in the pudding. Other variables come into play like cars fast over a single lap going backwards in a race due to fast degrading tyres. Plus the regulations have changed dramatically since 2008 ;)

You can't use a negative result as a "proof", who says there even any drivers with the requisite talent to perform in such a fashion? Point is, more variables should shake things up more, not less. Basic logic here, man.

henners88
20th June 2013, 08:12
You can't use a negative result as a "proof", who says there even any drivers with the requisite talent to perform in such a fashion? Point is, more variables should shake things up more, not less. Basic logic here, man.
That is all well if you truly believe Vettel is in a totally different league to his nearest rivals and therefore a superior driver. I don't think we have seen anything to suggest that in the slightest so variables to do with different drivers being in different cars is all we can do to compare. A driver can only perform to the limit of the machinery at his disposal and I don't see any evidence to suggest the likes of Alonso, Raikkonen and Hamilton are under-performing with what they are given. I'm sure that is your explanation but not mine. The Red Bull is still the car to have and has been for nearly 4 years now. Its far into its development cycle whereas other teams have attempted to start from scratch and failed. They've come close, but failed ultimately. I think next season will see a closer form of competition where drivers are learning under new regs and engines will be relatively unproven at that stage. Vettel is a world class driver and you won't find many people here who don't have an appreciation for what he has achieved. I know that isn't what you wish to here as your stoking isn't generating the types of reactions you want, but that is how it is.

dj_bytedisaster
20th June 2013, 08:36
^^^
What he said

The only instance where someone was underperforming was arguably Fernando's rather lackluster drive at Monaco, even before he got bits of McLaren stuck under his wing, but his drives at Barcelona and Montreal are not exactly suggestive of underperformance. Vettel has had a good for almost four years now (since mid-season 2009) and his major achievement is, that he has delivered consistently, mainly by pumping out pole positions at an alarming rate. The RB needs to be put on pole to unleash its biggest strength and Vettel is the man, who can do just that whenever needed. Other drivers have other strengths. Alonso for instant is a magician when the lights go out. The number of positions he gained by sheer starting brilliance over the last few seasons is staggering.

This whole 'this driver is better than that' is useless. In the end there are no style-marks in F1. The only measurable unit are points and he, who collects most of those will be the winner.

vhatever
21st June 2013, 00:44
That is all well if you truly believe Vettel is in a totally different league to his nearest rivals and therefore a superior driver. .

There is nothing to believe. As you say, the proof is in the pudding.

Knock-on
21st June 2013, 02:23
:laugh: I love you man. You must really love this stupidity to keep coming back and behaving like this. Please don't get banned again too soon as you crack me up. :laugh:

vhatever
21st June 2013, 22:22
:laugh: I love you man. You must really love this stupidity to keep coming back and behaving like this. Please don't get banned again too soon as you crack me up. :laugh:

Another on topic and definitely not ad hominem post by knock on.

I'd be more worried about you getting banned given your posting behaviors I've noted here. You should have already been banned. Not sure why Pino didn't pull the trigger on you. i guess there are "special rules" for people who have been spamming crap on this forum for 10+ years.

Knock-on
22nd June 2013, 00:21
:kiss:

dj_bytedisaster
22nd June 2013, 02:26
Another on topic and definitely not ad hominem post by knock on.

I'd be more worried about you getting banned given your posting behaviors I've noted here. You should have already been banned. Not sure why Pino didn't pull the trigger on you. i guess there are "special rules" for people who have been spamming crap on this forum for 10+ years.

You don't get it, do you? What the **** are you smoking? You come in here and in 170 out of your measly 190 posts you attack other members and then complain if you're given some of your own medicine. Are you really that daft, man? Just go away, forever.
Some of us have been around here for quite some time. We don't need no redneck to stumble in here and insult everyone in sight. You are not welcome - go away.

Knock-on
22nd June 2013, 03:08
DJ. Relax.

There used to be a member called Tamburello that sometimes posted spirited and occasionally relevant posts. However, over time he became more and more hostile to people with opposing views, refused to debate in a reasoned manner, physically threatened several members and eventually disappeared up his own ass with a lifetime ban. He came back in many disguises to perpetuate his childish vendettas and ultimately became a bit of a sad case.

Vhatever could, obviously, never be that person. The original Tamburello wasn't such a imbecile!

vhatever
22nd June 2013, 05:07
DJ. Relax.

There used to be a member called Tamburello that sometimes posted spirited and occasionally relevant posts. However, over time he became more and more hostile to people with opposing views, refused to debate in a reasoned manner, physically threatened several members and eventually disappeared up his own ass with a lifetime ban. He came back in many disguises to perpetuate his childish vendettas and ultimately became a bit of a sad case.

Vhatever could, obviously, never be that person. The original Tamburello wasn't such a imbecile!

This is like the umpeenth time you've somehow implicated me as this "tam" character. Not to mention the umpteenth time you have derailed a thread going off topic with personal attacks and/or ad hominem. I'm not tam, though I could see why he tired of this place/posters. Dealing with people like you with any degree of regularity, no thanks.

jens
22nd June 2013, 07:47
Okay. Felt something needed to be done. I have never used "infractions" before, so I am not entirely sure, what effect will it have in long-term. :p : But three members have been given an infraction for going off-topic on a regular basis (as evidenced, it is not happening only in this thread) and making personal comments, which have nothing to do with F1. This topic - unfortunately closed.

pino
22nd June 2013, 07:55
:up: