PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Canadian GP Thread

steveaki13
3rd June 2013, 23:46
So after a suprising and strange Monaco GP, its time to shift attention to Montreal.

2013 Canadian Grand Prix

7th - 9th June 2013

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal

Drivers Championship after 6 Rounds
1. Sebastian Vettel - 107 pts
2. Kimi Raikkonen - 86 pts
3. Fernando Alonso - 78 pts
4. Lewis Hamilton - 62 pts
5. Mark Webber - 57 pts
6. Nico Rosberg - 47 pts
7. Felipe Massa - 45 pts
8. Paul di Resta - 28 pts
9. Romain Grosjean - 26 pts
10. Jenson Button - 25 pts
11. Adrian Sutil - 16 pts
12. Sergio Perez - 12 pts
13. Daniel Ricciardo - 7 pts
14. Nico Hulkenberg - 5 pts
15. J E Vergne - 5 pts

Consructors Championship after 6 Rounds
1. Red Bull - 164 pts
2. Ferrari - 123 pts
3. Lotus - 112 pts
4. Mercedes - 109 pts
5. Force India - 44 pts
6. Mclaren - 37 pts
7. Toro Roso - 12 pts
8. Sauber - 5 pts

Recent Winners (Since 1990)
1990: Ayrton Senna
1991: Nelson Piquet
1992: Gerhard Berger
1993: Alain Prost
1994: Michael Schumacher
1995: Jean Alesi
1996: Damon Hill
1997: Michael Schumacher
1998: Michael Schumacher
1999: Mika Hakkinen
2000: Michael Schumacher
2001: Ralf Schumacher
2002: Michael Schumacher
2003: Michael Schumacher
2004: Michael Schumacher
2005: Kimi Raikkonen
2006: Fernando Alonso
2007: Lewis Hamilton
2008: Robert Kubica
2010: Lewis Hamilton
2011: Jenson Button
2012: Lewis Hamilton

Multiple Driver Winners
Michael Schumacher - 7 wins
Nelson Piquet - 3 wins
Lewis Hamilton - 3 wins
Pedro Rodriguez - 2 wins
Jacky Ickx - 2 wins
Jackie Stewart - 2 wins
Alan Jones - 2 wins
Ayrton Senna - 2 wins

Multiple Constructors Winners
Ferrari - 13 wins
Mclaren - 13 wins
Williams - 7 wins
Brabham - 4 wins
Lotus - 2 wins
Tyrell - 2 wins
Benetton - 2 wins

* So looking at this we are in for a battle for the 14th win around here, while Lotus could win their 3rd win.

Cant wait for this race, always one of my favorites.

AndyL
4th June 2013, 10:50
The weather forecast has a 40-60% chance of showers over the weekend so it could be a crazy one.
Montréal, QC - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada (http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/qc-147_metric_e.html)

D28
5th June 2013, 02:45
Steveaki13:
Careful copying stats for the Canadian Grand Prix, as some like Wiki include the sportscar events prior to 1967. 1967 was the first F1 race.

In your list Pedro Rodriguez is listed as a 2 time winner, but these were in Ferrari sportscars, thus Ferrari has 11 F1 wins and not 13.
Oddly enough Lotus never won the F1 race, again their totals are for the Lotus 19.

steveaki13
5th June 2013, 08:13
Steveaki13:
Careful copying stats for the Canadian Grand Prix, as some like Wiki include the sportscar events prior to 1967. 1967 was the first F1 race.

In your list Pedro Rodriguez is listed as a 2 time winner, but these were in Ferrari sportscars, thus Ferrari has 11 F1 wins and not 13.
Oddly enough Lotus never won the F1 race, again their totals are for the Lotus 19.

Thanks

My early knowledge is sketchy. Thanks for pointing it out.

odykas
5th June 2013, 20:53
Forza Ferrari and Kimi : :hot:

henners88
6th June 2013, 08:33
I've got a feeling we'll see a Hamilton pole in Canada. I just hope the issues concerning their use of tyres in the race have been sorted by now. It would be nice to have another Mercedes one, two. Its an easy track to overtake on especially the back straight which will undoubtedly be a DRS zone, so again I expect it to be the team the most clever on strategy. Hamilton made one extra stop last year I believe whereas Alonso and Vettel tried to get to the end. Perez and Grosjean managed to make a similar strategy work. Expect a feisty Perez and a motivated Hamilton I reckon. ;)

Jordan Fan
6th June 2013, 13:17
Will be interesting to see if any drivers will hit the Wall of Champions taking them out of the race.

The Black Knight
6th June 2013, 14:22
I've got a feeling we'll see a Hamilton pole in Canada. I just hope the issues concerning their use of tyres in the race have been sorted by now. It would be nice to have another Mercedes one, two. Its an easy track to overtake on especially the back straight which will undoubtedly be a DRS zone, so again I expect it to be the team the most clever on strategy. Hamilton made one extra stop last year I believe whereas Alonso and Vettel tried to get to the end. Perez and Grosjean managed to make a similar strategy work. Expect a feisty Perez and a motivated Hamilton I reckon. ;)

Considering the braking issues Hamilton has had in recent races and how much brakes matter in Montreal I have my doubts over a Hamilton pole. I think Rosberg might sneak it yet again. Time will tell ;)

kfzmeister
6th June 2013, 18:42
Considering the braking issues Hamilton has had in recent races and how much brakes matter in Montreal I have my doubts over a Hamilton pole. I think Rosberg might sneak it yet again. Time will tell ;)

I still think he's good for pole. The race could prove difficult for him in the long run, though.

seb_sh
7th June 2013, 08:53
It will be interesting to see how Mercedes handle tyre wear here since Monaco is too strange to judge how much the Pirelli test helped them. Of course if it rains anything could happen.

Really looking forward to this one!

henners88
7th June 2013, 09:01
I still think he's good for pole. The race could prove difficult for him in the long run, though.
I think you're right. Hamilton always finds the extra pace over one lap in Montreal but the Red Bull's and Ferrari's appear to have beetr race pace on circuits where overtaking is possible. DRS doesn't help the likes of Mercedes either. I'd like to see Alonso win this one if Lewis or Nico can't. We need a different champion this season!! :)

odykas
7th June 2013, 10:34
Will be interesting to see if any drivers will hit the Wall of Champions taking them out of the race.

I hope Vettel does that :devil:

The Black Knight
7th June 2013, 10:57

I think he's going to have a lot of trouble getting pole here and that people are still underestimating Rosberg ;) Remember neither Hamilton nor Rosberg have ever been out qualified by their respective teammates here.

The Black Knight
7th June 2013, 12:14
I must say, after reading the most recent articles on Kimi, he is being a total whingebag

Kimi Raikkonen - Perez still 'f***ed up the race' | Lotus F1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN.co.uk (http://www.espn.co.uk/lotusf1/motorsport/story/109840.html)

He'd want to get off his high horse. The accident was just as much his fault as it was Perez's. His race got ruined - big deal. It's racing, it happens. Build a bridge, cry a river and then get the **** over it.

That's the problem with drivers today, they have it too cushy with all the rules on overtaking now. When something like this happens then they all have to have a "discussion" on it.

Here he says:
Raikkonen expects Perez's driving to be discussed in Canada - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107897)

"And I don't really feel that I should move over if the other guy comes too fast. I did that already, five or six laps earlier, purely because I saw he came too fast and he would have hit me."

He just admitted fault for the accident there and contradicted himself in one sentence. He moved over one time and didn't the next time, clearly the big difference between the conclusion of two separate incidents being his inconsistent decisions in the moment.

He doesn't feel like he should move over, yet he did it - contradiction.

This whiny rubbish that drivers go on with irritates me. It's why I like Hamilton so much, doesn't cry, just gets on with pure hardcore racing. It's also why I now like Perez and until a few weeks ago I felt him very overrated, mind you I also think Hulkenberg to be overrated. For the first time I'm beginning to feel that McLaren have made the right choice in driver.

jens
7th June 2013, 12:46
Together with Button Räikkönen has built his reputation as one of the cleanest drivers on the grid, who hardly ever gets involved in accidents. Certainly that was the case in 2012. What does it mean? That he drives smartly and carefully chooses his battles. It is obvious that there is no point in fighting in some instances - you have to let it go to get to the finish.

Have to let a fierce rival go if the alternative is a crash - let go and hope that rival crashes into something else, not you. You have to drive so smartly that even take the driving styles and mentality of each of your rival into account - who you can fight how much.

So I have to say that this situation is now surprising with Kimi. It is not about, who is "right" or who is "wrong". In the end you need to use common sense, get points and drive accordingly. If it demands you giving up, then it has to be done. I assume Kimi is probably a bit angry with himself too as he is with Pérez. That's why he keeps bringing up the issue. Button and Alonso could have fought the hard-charging Pérez harder, but chose not to, let him go, and get the WDC points.

In hindsight Kimi should have done the same in the interest of the championship, because Pérez was just too committed to successfully battle him, but for a moment Kimi let himself carried away into the heat of the battle. Unusual for him, because usually he knows, how to choose his battles. Which is why he has usually one of the cleanest drivers on the grid.

This is the same mistake Hamilton did at Valencia in 2012. Lost the sight on the championship fight and points, battled with Maldonado which he had no chance to win on old tyres.

dj_bytedisaster
7th June 2013, 12:46

Sorry mate, but that's a bit morbid, isn't it? Even if posted in jest, which I think is nigh-on impossible with things like that. Disliking a driver is one thing, but posting wishes for a shunt is stretching it. The rabid fanboi brigade (IIRC consisting of exactly one in here lately) will bring out the torches and the pitchforks. It's unnecessary flamebait :s Even if we have unprecedented safety these days, a shunt can still go wrong or be painful (e.g Massa at Monaco).

Keyser Soze
7th June 2013, 14:03
Looking forward to this race. Go Kimi!

kfzmeister
7th June 2013, 14:36
I think you're right. Hamilton always finds the extra pace over one lap in Montreal but the Red Bull's and Ferrari's appear to have beetr race pace on circuits where overtaking is possible. DRS doesn't help the likes of Mercedes either. I'd like to see Alonso win this one if Lewis or Nico can't. We need a different champion this season!! :)

I sure hope you're right, but i'm a little concerned with Ferrari's pace after Monaco. Car needs traction out of those slow corners and it didn't look like it had it in Monaco. Between Ferrari's lack of pace here and Mercedes' lack of tire life, i'm a little nervous.

kfzmeister
7th June 2013, 16:06

Lol, he just about tagged the wall in FP1.....

truefan72
7th June 2013, 16:32
How are all these cars setting purple and green times under yellow in sector1?

absurd. DiResta gets the fastest lap time under yellow conditions?
I think a dozen or more drivers are in trouble.
And they should be!

tfp
7th June 2013, 20:28
I must say, after reading the most recent articles on Kimi, he is being a total whingebag

Kimi Raikkonen - Perez still 'f***ed up the race' | Lotus F1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN.co.uk (http://www.espn.co.uk/lotusf1/motorsport/story/109840.html)

He'd want to get off his high horse. The accident was just as much his fault as it was Perez's. His race got ruined - big deal. It's racing, it happens. Build a bridge, cry a river and then get the **** over it.

That's the problem with drivers today, they have it too cushy with all the rules on overtaking now. When something like this happens then they all have to have a "discussion" on it.

Here he says:
Raikkonen expects Perez's driving to be discussed in Canada - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107897)

"And I don't really feel that I should move over if the other guy comes too fast. I did that already, five or six laps earlier, purely because I saw he came too fast and he would have hit me."

He just admitted fault for the accident there and contradicted himself in one sentence. He moved over one time and didn't the next time, clearly the big difference between the conclusion of two separate incidents being his inconsistent decisions in the moment.

He doesn't feel like he should move over, yet he did it - contradiction.

This whiny rubbish that drivers go on with irritates me. It's why I like Hamilton so much, doesn't cry, just gets on with pure hardcore racing. It's also why I now like Perez and until a few weeks ago I felt him very overrated, mind you I also think Hulkenberg to be overrated. For the first time I'm beginning to feel that McLaren have made the right choice in driver.

Dont you think there was over aggression on perez's part? I mean there's taking advantage of your situation (not being a title contender) and there's plain dirty driving.

kfzmeister
7th June 2013, 20:53
Well, that was a good session. :D

dj_bytedisaster
7th June 2013, 21:40
Quite a lot of action on the track today and people outbraking themselves endlessly. :D

Coulthard Fan
8th June 2013, 00:07
One of my favourite tracks
Hope for rain should mix it up a bit. Also Grosjean has a penalty so expect him to push through the grid.
I would love a Hamilton win but I'm going for
Vettel
Alonso
Webber
Hamilton
Rosberg
Riakkonen
Massa
Button
Perez
Sutil

Pole Hamilton
Most Overtakes Grosjean
Fastest Lap Vettel

TheFamousEccles
8th June 2013, 05:08
Today I am "on call" for work (Registered Nurse, orthopaedic theatres), which usually means that I can't sleep properly as I lay waiting for the phone to ring. So, I am going to try and get up for the quali broadcast, shown in my neck of the woods at 0200. The Canadian GP is usually good value, given the way the track entices drivers to out brake themselves, not to mention the "Wall of Champions" - combined with crappy weather this sesh could be interesting!

Always love the starting posts for each race thread - love your work, Steveaki13!

zako85
8th June 2013, 06:34
Question for US TV public: If the race lasts too long, and there is a good chance it will due to rain, which channel will show the end of race and the podium ceremony? I noticed that the local FOX affiliates that show Monaco, Canada, etc GPs here in Texas have a nasty habit of switching of translation to some other channel if it lasts too long. I have lost the endings in couple of races due to that, even though I set my DVR to record the live race +2hours extra time. Damn you Fox network.

truefan72
8th June 2013, 07:00
Question for US TV public: If the race lasts too long, and there is a good chance it will due to rain, which channel will show the end of race and the podium ceremony? I noticed that the local FOX affiliates that show Monaco, Canada, etc GPs here in Texas have a nasty habit of switching of translation to some other channel if it lasts too long. I have lost the endings in couple of races due to that, even though I set my DVR to record the live race +2hours extra time. Damn you Fox network.

F! is on NBC sports in 2013 and alos will show this race on NBC itself
try their channel for other stuff etc

zako85
8th June 2013, 07:40
Oh I forgot that this year the F1 is on NBC. However, for Monaco GP they did the same thing I am talking about. The live race was not on NBC sports. It was on some other local channel at 6:30am and I think they didn't show the end. However, they showed the end of podium ceremony on the NBC sports channel at 9am right at the time when the race re-translation was supposed to start on that channel. This is probably because the race and podiums did not fit in the allocated 2.5 hour time on the local channel. I see Rosber, Vettel and Webber. What a disaster. I come from a long trip, start watching my recording of the race rerun on NBC sports, and I see podium ceremony. Did anyone else catch this? These folks are out of their mind, as were the Fox sports folks as well, something similar happening during the long Canada GP of 2011. They do this thing once again, I will be using torrent to download the shows from other country networks.

Ranger
8th June 2013, 18:09
I do hate that they paved the runoff at Turn 8.

pino
8th June 2013, 18:23
Grosjean and Di Resta out of Q2 ? :s

donKey jote
8th June 2013, 18:40
Massa donkey :mad:

donKey jote
8th June 2013, 18:41
balls :dozey:

donKey jote
8th June 2013, 18:46
pit lane queue :p

donKey jote
8th June 2013, 18:47
go go go !! :p

Ranger
8th June 2013, 18:51
Brilliant performance from Bottas so far.

pino
8th June 2013, 18:52
Massa you donkey ! :mad:

truefan72
8th June 2013, 18:53
another early donkey...Button, and team mclaren
and probably getting a 5 grid drop too for holding up Webber

As to Hamilton, what a solid performance in that mad rush, found grip and speed
good for him

donKey jote
8th June 2013, 19:09
well done Wettel :andrea:
excellent Botas :up:

pino
8th June 2013, 19:09
No more fuel for Vettel ?

truefan72
8th June 2013, 19:10
vettel's car stopped in the pits?
does that mean it did not make it back?
did he run out of fuel?

truefan72
8th June 2013, 19:11
I'll take p2 for hamilton
thank you very much

AndyL
8th June 2013, 19:18
another early donkey...Button, and team mclaren
and probably getting a 5 grid drop too for holding up Webber

Webber wasn't on a flying lap so no question of a penalty.

tjoepie
8th June 2013, 19:44
WOW Bottas! Where'd that come from?

AndyL
8th June 2013, 19:56

Frank Williams has always spoken extremely highly of him... perhaps we're seeing a hint of the potential Frank has seen.

DexDexter
8th June 2013, 20:35

He's been driving very well all year, has outqualified and raced his more experienced teammate more often than not. No mistakes either.

jarrambide
8th June 2013, 21:16
Oh I forgot that this year the F1 is on NBC. However, for Monaco GP they did the same thing I am talking about. The live race was not on NBC sports. It was on some other local channel at 6:30am and I think they didn't show the end. However, they showed the end of podium ceremony on the NBC sports channel at 9am right at the time when the race re-translation was supposed to start on that channel. This is probably because the race and podiums did not fit in the allocated 2.5 hour time on the local channel. I see Rosber, Vettel and Webber. What a disaster. I come from a long trip, start watching my recording of the race rerun on NBC sports, and I see podium ceremony. Did anyone else catch this? These folks are out of their mind, as were the Fox sports folks as well, something similar happening during the long Canada GP of 2011. They do this thing once again, I will be using torrent to download the shows from other country networks.
NBC Sports announced from the start that they would show a few races on NBC (the other local channel you mentioned on your post).
They also announced that every pre race show would be on NBC Sports, including the races on NBC, they are doing this to minimize the number of stations preempting the race, they also announced that for the same reason, they would show the podium ceremony on NBC Sports for those few races on NBC if time doesn't permit it.
They showed the end on most NBC channels, what you need to remember is that in the US, NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX don't own the actual channels on US cities, they are not the ones transmitting on your city or my city. The networks transmit their feed to their affiliates, but the affiliates don't have to show the feed if they don't want to, they can choose to show something else altogether (preempting the show), or they can stop showing something, which is what happened to you.
What happened to you was because NBC Sports decided to rebroadcast the race exactly after the race, if they had waited an hour, it would have not happened, or, like me, you could have DVRed the live race on NBC, instead of recording the rerun on NBC Sports.

andyone
8th June 2013, 21:45
P2 for Hamilton good enough for me

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TheFamousEccles
9th June 2013, 00:29
Sounds like an interesting quali session, I was awake at the time (I am sure you are all pleased to know this), though sadly I was helping put some old lady's femur back together...

Impressive turn from Bottas! And both STR cars in the top 10. It will be interesting to see what the conditions are like in the race tomorrow - I understand that the prediction is for more rain, but you never know!

zako85
9th June 2013, 00:59
It's nice to see Botas and Sutil (again) in Q3, as well as Vettel back on top P1 position after some break.

zako85
9th June 2013, 01:04
What happened to you was because NBC Sports decided to rebroadcast the race exactly after the race, if they had waited an hour, it would have not happened, or, like me, you could have DVRed the live race on NBC, instead of recording the rerun on NBC Sports.

This is understandable. But if I DVRd the live race, then there is a chance I wouldn't get to see a chunk of the podium ceremony or even the race if it gets cut off. On the other hand, the re-runs are usually edited, so an overly long race should fit in its allocated time. Of course I could set my DVR to record the live race on NBC _and_ the rerun immediately after it on NBC sports, then watch sequentially. There is an issue with this though as I end up wasting hours of DVR space. I got something like 35hours of HD capacity, and that weekend I also recorded the marathon re-run of the Falling Skies season 1 (10 episodes) and Indy 500 (like 7-8 hours, since I add couple of hours to catch the end of an overly long race), so the space was really tight since I didn't want to delete anyone else's stuff.

I really don't understand why they change the channels of the live show from NBC Sports to NBC and such. Too much confusion with zero benefits IMO. It's not like they had anything better to show on NBC sports at 6:30am.

truefan72
9th June 2013, 02:07
I really don't understand why they change the channels of the live show from NBC Sports to NBC and such. Too much confusion with zero benefits IMO. It's not like they had anything better to show on NBC sports at 6:30am.

Agreed
It reminds me of the old speedtv days where they
1. always had a 15 minute delay for qualy
2. overly long nonsensical commercials
3. always rushed at the end of the race to get back to paid informercials, or if it was a bit later, off to 4 hour pre nascar race converage
I mean, who needs to watch 4 hours of pre race coverage of nascar???

What the country needs is a proper motorpsorts channel that gets the F1, Motogp, Gp2/3, lemans, Indycar and other top series in one channel.
That channel would be very well received imo

truefan72
9th June 2013, 02:13
speaking of broadcasting.

I was watching the Sky F1 coverage and twice they sorta failed to mention Hamilton's Qtimes with the apropriate reverence. Especially at the end of Q2.
I know this is really nitpicking but it bothered me allready that the F1 feed failed to pick up his fast laps so we could see how he navigated thorugh that tight field, but then the F1 guys barely mentioned the performance. Meanwhile when Vettel was putting in quick lpas ealrier, they were all over him lauding his "wet" skills
also at the end of Q3 they were awarding the best performance of the day to bottas and vettel saying those two stood out, nevermind that Hamilton was .084sec behind Vettel.
Watching the broadcast again is even more annoying.

Rollo
9th June 2013, 03:55
Impressive turn from Bottas! And both STR cars in the top 10. It will be interesting to see what the conditions are like in the race tomorrow - I understand that the prediction is for more rain, but you never know!

Rain is the great equaliser. Without the benefits of power and to a lesser degree handling, we find out who the best drivers are.

Also, I found out that Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a public road; you can do the tour on Google Maps :D Happy Day!

Ranger
9th June 2013, 04:26
Rain is the great equaliser. Without the benefits of power and to a lesser degree handling, we find out who the best drivers are.

The car is still very important. 'Equaliser' is a strong word.

Some cars produce more downforce in mixed or wet conditions than they otherwise would. It also depends on how the car puts its heat into the tyres.

The Red Bull/STR cars of 2007-2008 were always good in the wet - How many wet races have Webber or Vettel won since? China 2009 and that's it.

On the other hand, Lotus is known to run light on its tyres, but SkyF1 mentioned that as a consequence they can't put enough heat into the tyres when it is wet.

Nonetheless Bottas was impressive throughout the entire session and hopefully he will get a good result in the race.

longisland
9th June 2013, 05:25
Great effort from Bottas. Kudos to the 2 toro rossos.

janneppi
9th June 2013, 06:35
The Red Bull/STR cars of 2007-2008 were always good in the wet - How many wet races have Webber or Vettel won since? China 2009 and that's it.

On the other hand, Lotus is known to run light on its tyres, but SkyF1 mentioned that as a consequence they can't put enough heat into the tyres when it is wet.

Pirelli can't design wet weather tyre if their lives depended on them! They should immediately change their tire construction softer to allow all the teams better racing.

Now they are killing the sport, and I'm not going to watch F1 ever again until Räikkönen is on top of the grid!

(This post war written tongue-in-cheek and does not reflect the opinion of the writer )

zako85
9th June 2013, 06:45

It's also a randomizer in quickly changing conditions. In the end, the teams will have to decide if they will run a suspension setup for wet race, dry race, or something in between.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 11:30
Wow what a tricky Quali session that was.

The drizzle conditions meant constantly changing track conditions. You could see how the drivers struggled.

Great jobs by Vettel, Hamilton and Bottas. Bottas clearly showing he has some potential, but sadly if its dry he will tumble in that slow Williams.

Grosjean I assume will start 23rd or 24th depending on penalties for others.

Am looking forward to this race.

Weather seems to suggest chances of showers. So that might help Bottas stay in the points.

P3ws
9th June 2013, 13:11
Hourly Weather Forecast: Montréal, Quebec - The Weather Network (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/hourly-weather-forecast/canada/quebec/montreal)

Looks like a dry race.

odykas
9th June 2013, 13:52
It seems that it will be dry and warm.

Forza Ferrari and Kimi :hot:

Storm
9th June 2013, 14:08
I would like some rain so guys like Bottas can shine...damn Vettel is fast even in the wet.

Atleast it's raining here :)

Tazio
9th June 2013, 16:03
Judging from Montreal Hourly Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for Quebec Canada (http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/montreal/h2k/hourly-weather-forecast/56186) the weather conditions combined with a green track surface should bro favor Lotus, and Ferrari. :idea:

Tazio
9th June 2013, 16:21
I love headlines like: Brawn: No Chance of Hamilton Win | Formula 1 FanCast (http://www.formula1fancast.com/2013/06/formula-1-news/brawn-no-chance-of-hamilton-win?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Formula1Fancast+%28Formula+1+ FanCast%29)
Where does Brawn say that The Boss doesn't have a chance :confused:

jens
9th June 2013, 16:23
Standout performance by Bottas. These are the kind of performances you need to get the top teams interested in you. More often than not Vergne seems to be there or thereabouts in the wet too. Let's see, what does the race bring us.

As for the 'equalizing' discussion. Well, years have shown that setup can make a far more significant difference than driver skills. We have seen even the usually great drivers struggling and spinning around on occasions they have got the setup wrong.

Saying this I remember the wet qualifying for the 2009 Brazilian Grand Prix. Button, Hamilton and Vettel are usually regarded as very good in the wet. But Button was only 14th in quali and the other two didn't even get through Q1.

Tazio
9th June 2013, 16:27
Standout performance by Bottas. These are the kind of performances you need to get the top teams interested in you. More often than not Vergne seems to be there or thereabouts in the wet too. Let's see, what does the race bring us.Great job by Bottas, but I can't help wondering if Williams have gambled on putting one car on a wet setup and the other more in a dry configuration!

jens
9th June 2013, 16:31
Great job by Bottas, but I can't help wondering if Williams have gambled on putting one car on a wet setup and the other more in a dry configuration!

I don't know, but I suspect if it is a dry race, Bottas will replicate Hülkenberg's drive from Brazil 2010 by going backwards. Hopefully he could still salvage a few points!

But if it is a wet race, all bets are off! Though perhaps wet would be good for Mercedes in terms of tyre degradation, so Hamilton may well keep up with Vettel and those two would battle it out for the win with maybe someone else joining the party as well.

But as always the question is - how wet it is going to be. Because based on 'wetness' of the circuit setup differences will come into play. In the same Canadian Grand Prix two years ago Button was nowhere, when it was fully wet, but was absolutely flying once the track started to dry out.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 17:52
I love headlines like: Brawn: No Chance of Hamilton Win | Formula 1 FanCast (http://www.formula1fancast.com/2013/06/formula-1-news/brawn-no-chance-of-hamilton-win?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Formula1Fancast+%28Formula+1+ FanCast%29)
Where does Brawn say that The Boss doesn't have a chance :confused:

Technically Brawn should have said: " Only a 1 in 22 chance of winning".

While you are on track in a motor race you have a chance. Without going into the fact that he is probably faster than 14 of those cars.

Strange comments.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 17:56
I think this could be quite a crazy race.

I fear Bottas will either tumble backwards through the race or will feel the pressure and make a mistake and after 2 laps will be towards the back again.

However if he could somehow keep in the points for the race or even a large portion of the race he will prove something.

Quite similar to Hulkenbergs Pole in Brazil and could go the same way, but it did get people talking about him. He should have had a better drive by now.

Tazio
9th June 2013, 18:09
Technically Brawn should have said: " Only a 1 in 22 chance of winning".

While you are on track in a motor race you have a chance. Without going into the fact that he is probably faster than 14 of those cars.

Strange comments.

I don't have a problem with the comments as they make sense to me. It is just that the headline of the article is not supported by its contents.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 18:51
I have a feeling this could be a good one.

Nearly there now

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 18:52
morning gurlz :D :wave: :bandit:

pino
9th June 2013, 18:54
Morning ? Here's evening :p :

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 18:58
here too :D

Tazio
9th June 2013, 18:59
:s ailor: dudes! :wave:

Koz
Hi everybody!

Koz
Morning ? Here's evening :p :

Not even 6am yet. :(

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:01
I need a bigger monitor :dozey:

Tazio
9th June 2013, 19:02
Perez right behind Kimi on the grid :eek:

Koz
9th June 2013, 19:02
So, who will Grosjean crash into now?

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:03
gogogogogooooo :D

jarrambide
9th June 2013, 19:03
It has zero benefits for you, for me, and for every other die hard F1 fan in the US.
The benefits were supposed to be for NBC. NBC gets/tries to charge substantially more for ads on NBC than on NBC Sports, but they will have a hard time trying to get that higher price tag on broadcasts on the early hours of the morning because they will not have a lot of viewers, which is why they show most races on NBC Sports and the races they can broadcast live in the afternoon on NBC, they decided to add Monaco because they figure the name is a big draw and people will watch that early (unlike Speed/FOX that used to show Monaco on FOX, but tape delayed, no live broadcast on Speed.
As I mentioned earlier, they don't own the actual channels that broadcast NBC, they are sure that if they add the pre race show to the broadcast, many affiliates will not show the racem they are also afraid that if the race lasts longer than scheduled, affiliates will stop boradcasting the races, which is why they send the podium ceremonies to NBC Sports if the race lasts longer than expected.
This is a businees, they are betting on the fact that die hard fans will switch channels and casual fans will watch on NBC.

You have another option, Univision Deportes broadcasts every race live, but in Spanish.

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:05
t'internet is your friend :andrea:

Tazio
9th June 2013, 19:06
Felipe baby! ;)

Koz
9th June 2013, 19:10
Scary stuff!

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:10
woops :eek:

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:12
Maldonado doing a Maldonado :dozey:

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 19:12
Seriously, are those people getting paid for wrecking Adrian Sutil ??? :s

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:16
Massa can pass :crazy: :p

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:17
Vettel skims the wall :eek:

Tazio
9th June 2013, 19:17
Vettel gone Alonso reeling in Webber

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 19:25
A completely unused set of tires holds all of 16 laps, that's so utterly ridiculous...

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:29
stoopid pirelli test :p

jarrambide
9th June 2013, 19:30
Agreed
It reminds me of the old speedtv days where they
1. always had a 15 minute delay for qualy
2. overly long nonsensical commercials
3. always rushed at the end of the race to get back to paid informercials, or if it was a bit later, off to 4 hour pre nascar race converage
I mean, who needs to watch 4 hours of pre race coverage of nascar???

What the country needs is a proper motorpsorts channel that gets the F1, Motogp, Gp2/3, lemans, Indycar and other top series in one channel.
That channel would be very well received imo
It would certainly be very well received, but by how many?
Who needs 4 hours of NASCAR pre race?, many more than F1 fans.
When I moved to the US I had to accept the fact that Americans don't like many of the things the rest of the world loves:

Nutella
Football (not AMerican Football, but the one called soccer here)
F1
Alizee (but no one does like her singing anymore, so no problem there)

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:33
stoopid fuel manufacturer :p

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 19:34
Everybody trying really hard to hand this to Vettel

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:35
stoopid vettel running away with it :p

longisland
9th June 2013, 19:35
Kimi's day just ve gone from bad to worse

Tazio
9th June 2013, 19:36
stoopid Jackman :s ailor:

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:38
stoopid massa and sutil giving us great racing despite the stoopid tyres :p

Koz
9th June 2013, 19:38
And Vettel has a free pit stop for himself now.

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 19:40

He'll need it with those rubber jokes on the rims

jarrambide
9th June 2013, 19:41
stoopid massa and sutil giving us great racing despite the stoopid tyres :p

I hope Raiko and Alonso will not shout that those 2 stoopid drivers should not be passing, being how mad they got in Monaco with one of the only 2 guys passing. :)

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:41

unless we get a stoopid safety car :p

Tazio
9th June 2013, 19:43
Kimi on Perez :)

Tazio
9th June 2013, 19:44
stoopid webber and alonso passing britney

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:46
stoopid nico holding them up protecting ham :p

longisland
9th June 2013, 19:47
This is great stuff. We now have a sitting duck with tire problem and car behind just drafts through in the straight with DERS.

gm99
9th June 2013, 19:48
Vettel about to lap Kimi...

Koz
9th June 2013, 19:50
"Safety Car window is open"

Massa going to take it to the wall soon! :o

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:52
stoopid van der donkey :dozey:

Koz
9th June 2013, 19:52
Really? A car getting lapped a second time chopped Webber. :(

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:53
webber flying now :crazy: :laugh:

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:54
guido gives Adrian Newey some tips for the front wing :laugh:

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:58
woot :D

Tazio
9th June 2013, 19:59
Nice fight by Webber

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 19:59
P8 lapped...
stoopid Pirelli :p

Tazio
9th June 2013, 20:00
Kimi lapped

tfp
9th June 2013, 20:02
Massa is definetly the most entertaining guy to watch at the minute!

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:05
van der donkey of the race ? :p

jarrambide
9th June 2013, 20:06
Did Alonso passed Gutierrez under yellow?

Tazio
9th June 2013, 20:12
Alonso and Webber both a second faster than the Boss

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:12
winding up to a decent finale for P2 :D

Tazio
9th June 2013, 20:14
fastest lap Alo.

longisland
9th June 2013, 20:16
Di Resta has done 50 odd laps with one set of tires. That alone gets my vote for DOTD

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:17
Massa slingshotting Alo :D

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:18
Di Resta pits after 56 laps... stoopid Pirelli :p

Koz
9th June 2013, 20:19
Please just let me driiiiiive man!

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 20:19
Lewis :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Koz
9th June 2013, 20:21
Sutil is going to get a penalty!

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:21
out the way Sutil you donkey :mad: :p

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:24
oooooh :D

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:25
Gotcha :D

Tazio
9th June 2013, 20:25
Ba-bye :wave:

Ranger
9th June 2013, 20:27
out the way Sutil you donkey :mad: :p

Stupidly excessive penalties today. Barely deserving of a drive-through as far as I could see.

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 20:28
Alonso free pass against HAM. DRS being ridiculous again

Tazio
9th June 2013, 20:28
Felipe on Kimi :eek:

Tazio
9th June 2013, 20:34
Felipe baby!!

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:34
Masdrsa !

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:35
well done Pirelli
Vettel quickest
well done Alonso

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:36
neat podium, shame about the order :p

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 20:39
Yay, just for Pirelli's little scheme not working :D

Still the old tires and they still couldn't prevent RB from winning. You lost Bernie. And you'll loose in Munich court as well. F1 will be so much better without you...

donKey jote
9th June 2013, 20:42
my three flags :D
shame about the music though :p

A FONDO
9th June 2013, 20:46
Boring race, even more than Monaco. :o

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 21:05

Well, at least they looked like racing though. The tyres were shocking thou. Paul went 57 laps with the harder compound, while the softer one barely made a dozen laps. What the fück, Pirelli?

truefan72
9th June 2013, 21:07
Did Alonso passed Gutierrez under yellow?

interesting, lets see what happens, it looked like it to me

jarrambide
9th June 2013, 21:10
interesting, lets see what happens, it looked like it to me
Apparently it was a red and yellow flag, not a yellow flag.

truefan72
9th June 2013, 21:11
btw, what happend to bottas. I knew he was going to drop some spots but 11?
is the williams really that bad or was bottas simply not ready for prime time?
it was a severely dissapointing performance.

also congrats to vergne

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 21:16

What?????

I must assume your a DRS passing for passing sake fan then. Entitled to your opinion of course, but I couldn't disagree more. Sorry.

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 21:17

I would suspect that Bottas' car was completely set up for wet contitions. That helped in qualifying, but in the race he pretty much went backwards from the start.

truefan72
9th June 2013, 21:18
Apparently it was a red and yellow flag, not a yellow flag.

I kinda knew, was just hopeful
but p3 was about as good as Hamilton could expect.
nobody was catching the RBR today.
Both Vettel and Webber were fast today, as was the ferrari
but the first stint by hamilton was encouraging. The tires degredation was not so bad.
unfortunatley, as usual they brough him in one lap too late.
somwebody needs to tlell his enginner that you come in before or on the cliff, not after.
Every race its the same poor call by the team.

Ranger
9th June 2013, 21:19

In Spain, he was fighting Charles Pic's Caterham for position 16.

The car is really that bad.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 21:21

also congrats to vergne

I think your being very harsh. Did you not see the way he battled cleanly in the first 10 laps and settled at 6th.

Note Maldonado despite pitting for a new nose barely outraced the Marussia's and was 2 laps behind. Thus the Williams was the slowest car apart from the Marussia's and Caterhams.

Looking at that, for me he finished exactly where the Williams has finished all season 14th. He did a great job in Quali in the wet but for me he could do no more. The car was just slow.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 21:22
In Spain, he was fighting Charles Pic's Caterham for position 16.

The car is really that bad.

This

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 21:25
Well I cant believe people now moan about the race being boring.

This was one a pure motor race (as pure as it can be with DRS), everyone pushed hard and battled hard. Drivers defended, attacked, passed and pushed all race.

For me this was a great race. I enjoyed it as much as any this season.

Shoot me down but the was F1 Racing.

I loved it

truefan72
9th June 2013, 21:25
I think your being very harsh. Did you not see the way he battled cleanly in the first 10 laps and settled at 6th.

Note Maldonado despite pitting for a new nose barely outraced the Marussia's and was 2 laps behind. Thus the Williams was the slowest car apart from the Marussia's and Caterhams.

Looking at that, for me he finished exactly where the Williams has finished all season 14th. He did a great job in Quali in the wet but for me he could do no more. The car was just slow.

no I agree, he was well postioned in p6 and then I forgot about him,then at the end of the race I see he finished p14, so that has to be really dissapointing, no?
Especially since he "settled in" in p6 after the opening laps

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 21:27
Mclaren were appallingly bad :(

jarrambide
9th June 2013, 21:28
Well I cant believe people now moan about the race being boring.

This was one a pure motor race (as pure as it can be with DRS), everyone pushed hard and battled hard. Drivers defended, attacked, passed and pushed all race.

For me this was a great race. I enjoyed it as much as any this season.

Shoot me down but the was F1 Racing.

I loved it

People on the internet don't like anything, if there is something true is that you will always have enough people in a message board that will complain about any possible outcome.
Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 21:28
Amazing to see such pace from Vettel and Red Bull. (Dont respond Garry) It really deserved every success today. A wonderful race from him.

Alonso again was superb. (Dont respond Faster 69) He really pushed hard all day and now moves into 2nd in the championship.

Interesting to see how stong Vergne and di Resta were.

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 21:29
^^^^LOL what he said Great race by JEV. First 6th position for TR since 2007 that wasn't achieved by the drivist that shalt not be named.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 21:30
no I agree, he was well postioned in p6 and then I forgot about him,then at the end of the race I see he finished p14, so that has to be really dissapointing, no?
Especially since he "settled in" in p6 after the opening laps

Yer it was disappointig but just looking at the pace of both Williams I dont see how he could have finished any higher

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 21:33
^^^^LOL what he said Great race by JEV. First 6th position for TR since 2007 that wasn't achieved by the drivist that shalt not be named.

That 6th was one of the best drives of the season.

To think early last season he was questioned in F1. He really is becoming a decent driver.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 21:35
BTW what happened to Gutierrez we didnt ever see what happened did we?

Poor day for Sauber

A FONDO
9th June 2013, 21:35
What?????

I must assume your a DRS passing for passing sake fan then. Entitled to your opinion of course, but I couldn't disagree more. Sorry.

What am I supposed to like, cruising on delta 1:19 all race long? Watching a freshly painted fence drying is more thrilling.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 21:47
What am I supposed to like, cruising on delta 1:19 all race long? Watching a freshly painted fence drying is more thrilling.

I didnt see many drivers cruising. I saw drivers racing hard and battling.

Hammy said he was pushing nearly all race and not delta driving.

Great Race for me.

pino
9th June 2013, 22:04
I enjoyed the race too, a part from the winner 😜

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 22:10
I enjoyed the race too, a part from the winner 

Well yer of course. ;)

I would have preferred Alonso or Hammy to win for the title race especially but hey. Vettel fully deserved it.

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 22:33
I didnt see many drivers cruising. I saw drivers racing hard and battling.

Hammy said he was pushing nearly all race and not delta driving.

Great Race for me.

Most people know that I'm the first when it comes to rip Pirelli a new one, but this weekend we saw some racing. The Medium tyre was ok. The supersoft compound was absolutely laughable, dying after a dozen laps, but the harder compound seemed to work and people we driving hard. I think that was a big improvement over some of the travesties we've seen earlier in the season.

AndyL
10th June 2013, 01:28
BTW what happened to Gutierrez we didnt ever see what happened did we?

Yes I'd almost forgotten about that. According to Ted on Sky after the race, Sauber said he just went into the corner too fast and locked up. But I seem to recall when he went off the timing screen was still showing "OUT". Did he really crash straight out of the pits?

airshifter
10th June 2013, 04:56
Overall a good race for Canada. Some real battles on track, as well as pit battles due to strategy and tires. Amazing drive by Alonso to make it to 2nd.

10th June 2013, 05:59
I have missed the event first day. Thanks for your acknowledgement and guidance for 2013 Canadian Grand Prix at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal. This was so special event which I missed.

wedge
10th June 2013, 15:51
Pop quiz: when was the last SC-free Canadian GP?

The Black Knight
10th June 2013, 16:19
Pop quiz: when was the last SC-free Canadian GP?

henners88
10th June 2013, 20:11
Just got back from a weekend away with no TV or Internet, is this race worth watching? Sounds like a pole to domination again for Vettel. Perhaps i'll skip through it later in the week.

CaptainRaiden
10th June 2013, 20:30
Just got back from a weekend away with no TV or Internet, is this race worth watching? Sounds like a pole to domination again for Vettel. Perhaps i'll skip through it later in the week.

I got to playing F1 2012 mid-race with the race muted, and only got back to it during the Alonso-Lewis battle, so that should tell you something.

steveaki13
10th June 2013, 21:14

If your an F1 fan who likes seeing drivers pushing hard and battling then its well worth a watch. Yes Seb was dominant but thats F1, it was an example of brilliant driving from him.

The rest of the field had plenty of interest.

Some on here have said it was boring, which smacks of people being spoilt by 200 passes a race DRS fests, but by pre 2011 levels this was a good solid grand prix with plenty of interest.

I swear people have forgotten how to enjoy a Grand Prix.

Disclaimer: This is what I felt, I hold no responsibility for you feeling let down after watching it. :)

henners88
10th June 2013, 21:30
My commitment as an F1 fan is never in doubt. I would have watched the race had I been in but knowing the result and some of the articles I've read make it less appealing now. I don't get an awful lot of enjoyment seeing Red Bull win, but hearing Alonso and Hamilton drove good races makes it more likely that I will watch bits of it later in the week. I hate DRS so hundreds of overtakes is not what I enjoy. I'd like to see a different champion this year and don't care if its not Hamilton, I just think for the good of the sport it needs to he a little more mixed. I appreciate Seb as a driver and know he oozes talent, I just can't stand him as a person or from what I've seen at least. Its best to he honest and no doubt i'll be a committed F1 fan who reads more than he watches in future anyway. It's the future after all.

CaptainRaiden
10th June 2013, 22:09
If your an F1 fan who likes seeing drivers pushing hard and battling then its well worth a watch. Yes Seb was dominant but thats F1, it was an example of brilliant driving from him.

Some on here have said it was boring, which smacks of people being spoilt by 200 passes a race DRS fests, but by pre 2011 levels this was a good solid grand prix with plenty of interest.

Disclaimer: This is what I felt, I hold no responsibility for you feeling let down after watching it. :)

I think you can tell whether a Formula 1 race is exciting and thrilling or not. Sorry, but this wasn't one of those. If you enjoy races like these, then you would have thoroughly enjoyed the ultra fantastic 2004 season.

Seb pulled away with a clear car and tyre advantage over the Mercedes, and Lewis started to fall in Alonso's clutches once the Mercedes ate through its tyres like a fat kid through a KFC bucket, as usual. We would have been rewarded with a longer battle if not for DRS, so that was that. Kimi meanwhile was struggling with car problems throughout the race, so we couldn't really see Lotus' legendary and mythical tyre saving abilities.

Great battle between the two Mclarens for 11th place. That is what I tune in to watch every race weekend, who gets 11th, yep.

So yeah, not really a bundle of joy for me. But continue to polish turds if it makes you feel better about wasting two hours on a Sunday evening. :p :D

steveaki13
10th June 2013, 22:25
My commitment as an F1 fan is never in doubt. I would have watched the race had I been in but knowing the result and some of the articles I've read make it less appealing now. I don't get an awful lot of enjoyment seeing Red Bull win, but hearing Alonso and Hamilton drove good races makes it more likely that I will watch bits of it later in the week. I hate DRS so hundreds of overtakes is not what I enjoy. I'd like to see a different champion this year and don't care if its not Hamilton, I just think for the good of the sport it needs to he a little more mixed. I appreciate Seb as a driver and know he oozes talent, I just can't stand him as a person or from what I've seen at least. Its best to he honest and no doubt i'll be a committed F1 fan who reads more than he watches in future anyway. It's the future after all.

Fair enough, just giving you my thoughts on what I thought was a good race.

I have to say I also would like to see a different champion. I think F1 could do with one, but I still dont mind seeing Vettel win. It is what it is.

Hope you get a chance to catch some of the action.

steveaki13
10th June 2013, 22:32
I think you can tell whether a Formula 1 race is exciting and thrilling or not. Sorry, but this wasn't one of those. If you enjoy races like these, then you would have thoroughly enjoyed the ultra fantastic 2004 season.

Seb pulled away with a clear car and tyre advantage over the Mercedes, and Lewis started to fall in Alonso's clutches once the Mercedes ate through its tyres like a fat kid through a KFC bucket, as usual. We would have been rewarded with a longer battle if not for DRS, so that was that. Kimi meanwhile was struggling with car problems throughout the race, so we couldn't really see Lotus' legendary and mythical tyre saving abilities.

Great battle between the two Mclarens for 11th place. That is what I tune in to watch every race weekend, who gets 11th, yep.

So yeah, not really a bundle of joy for me. But continue to polish turds if it makes you feel better about wasting two hours on a Sunday evening. :p :D

1. I did enjoy 2004. Not as much as other years I suppose, but I still enjoyed it alot.

2. I agree about DRS. That was one thing that made this race worse.

3. F1 needs to return to a more pure form and F1 2013 generally I have not enjoyed as much as years past, but of this season it wasnt a bad race for me.

4. Sad for Kimi but one of those things, instead was happy to see Vergne and di Resta have good races.

5. I enjoy battles whether it be 1st and 2nd or 21st and 22nd. Sorry you cant destroy my love of F1 by telling me I shouldnt enjoy watching Mclarens fighting no matter where they are. When I go to live motorsport events I dont storm out of the circuit asking for money back if the winners is in a class of one. I enjoy drivers racing.

6. Not polising a Turd. Say what you like. I enjoyed the Race.

7. I love and follow F1 so its not a waste of my time.

CaptainRaiden
10th June 2013, 22:48
1. I did enjoy 2004. Not as much as other years I suppose, but I still enjoyed it alot.

http://cdn.alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/png/2-panel-NOPE.png

zako85
11th June 2013, 00:12
Ferrari needs to step up a bit, specially their qualifying performance so we could have a hope of a nice two horse battle at least. What's up with Raikkonen? This was somewhat an anonymous race for him. Is Lotus car development falling behind?

airshifter
11th June 2013, 04:13

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I really don't care if everyone else likes to cry and whine about why a race wasn't good when it was good. I have sympathy for those that will always see their glass half empty, as I chose to keep mine at least half full. When the day comes that I spend dozens of posts complaining about whatever it is I think is killing the sport, well.... that won't happen. I'd quit watching long before my frustration level got that high.

I think this is one of the best Canadian GPs in years. The DRS/KERS combo did make for some fly by passes, but often after laps of not making that pass work. It still involves a great deal of skill, timing, and being able to push and set up for the pass. Lap times don't lie, and the aids do little more in most cases than allow the pass and get rid of the trains of past years. Being those years allowed special engines, setups, tunes, and just about anything else for qualification it took the driver too much out of the equation. Now the driver races what he qualifies in, and the entire team makes the compromises that allow them to perform well in both.

People want to say it's all a show, it's all rigged, blah, blah. If it's all a rigged show, why do the same teams and the best drivers consistently overcome whatever rules changes take place?

henners88
11th June 2013, 08:38
I think you have hit the nail on the head. I really don't care if everyone else likes to cry and whine about why a race wasn't good when it was good. I have sympathy for those that will always see their glass half empty, as I chose to keep mine at least half full. When the day comes that I spend dozens of posts complaining about whatever it is I think is killing the sport, well.... that won't happen. I'd quit watching long before my frustration level got that high.

That is fair enough. I didn't make my comment because I was whining or in any way upset (crying) about the race. I haven't seen it and just asked a question based on what I had read on the BBC and here, as I was unable to avoid the result. If I don't enjoy a race and make my opinion public, like yourself it makes no difference whether anybody agrees with that observation or not, because its not going to change anything. The problem I have now is I won't be able to watch the Canadian GP with any form of anticipation or excitement because I know the result. I know Vettel drove off into the distance and the race winner was decided by the end of lap 2 and I know Alonso and Hamilton had a tussle in the closing stages. For that reason its best just to skip certain bits and watch the more enjoyable bits.

I think this is one of the best Canadian GPs in years. The DRS/KERS combo did make for some fly by passes, but often after laps of not making that pass work. It still involves a great deal of skill, timing, and being able to push and set up for the pass. Lap times don't lie, and the aids do little more in most cases than allow the pass and get rid of the trains of past years. Being those years allowed special engines, setups, tunes, and just about anything else for qualification it took the driver too much out of the equation. Now the driver races what he qualifies in, and the entire team makes the compromises that allow them to perform well in both.

People want to say it's all a show, it's all rigged, blah, blah. If it's all a rigged show, why do the same teams and the best drivers consistently overcome whatever rules changes take place?
If this years is up there in your opinion with the likes of the past 2 years, I will be pleasantly surprised in that case. The last two years have provided much drama and unpredictability, so perhaps I have judged it too soon? We will see. :)

airshifter
11th June 2013, 11:53
Henners,

I can completely get the "known result" thing, and on occasion have done it myself when finding out about race results before watching it. So I wasn't using your comments as my example at all, nor those that don't like any particular race. It's the people that complain race after race after race.... If I tire of a sport I move on, rather than trying to convince all the followers it needs to change to what I like.

And really, I thought Canada was as good or better than it has been in recent years. Sure Seb walked off into the distance, but there was real racing elsewhere IMO.

henners88
11th June 2013, 12:54
Henners,

I can completely get the "known result" thing, and on occasion have done it myself when finding out about race results before watching it. So I wasn't using your comments as my example at all, nor those that don't like any particular race. It's the people that complain race after race after race.... If I tire of a sport I move on, rather than trying to convince all the followers it needs to change to what I like.

And really, I thought Canada was as good or better than it has been in recent years. Sure Seb walked off into the distance, but there was real racing elsewhere IMO.
Yeah that's a good point. More often than not in recent times the driver of the race isn't necessarily the driver who crosses the finish line first. I'd rather see a race where the leader could change after the lights go out, but if the rest of the field fight it out and provide some real racing, I enjoy it as much. I think people are so used to Red Bull sorting themselves out and driving into the distance, it puts a downer on the whole race for them. I must admit it frustrates me, not to the point of ruining my day though lol. I stopped watching at the beginning of last decade because it all got boring for me, but am determined to try and keep the faith this time around. I might have to disagree with you on saying this years was the best of recent times though. 2011 was one of the most unpredictable races in years and last year Lewis came from quite far back to win the race against drivers on lesser strategies. Yesterday's race doesn't sound quite so thrilling but contained moments of brilliance. The blokes at work this morning were talking about Alonso and Hamilton and how well they drove so I might skip through it on my lunch break.

jens
11th June 2013, 13:10
A lot of discussion about how exciting the race was. I don't know. Maybe it was because the race was in the evening and I was already a bit tired, so I couldn't deepen into it as much as usual and analyze everything. :p : But I didn't find the race as interesting as, say, Monaco.

I don't know, for me it is not very interesting if the gaps are so big you can measure them with a calendar. P6 got already lapped. IMO competition is paramount in F1. Drivers may be able to "push", but if there is nothing to fight for, it is not very interesting to watch. Nobody made me as excited as Pérez did at Monaco with his opportunistic driving.

So from that point of view the race reminded a bit of a standard race from 2011, when the midfield was well below the top teams and usually got lapped. This time the main difference is that Mercedes has replaced McLaren in the Top3.

There were a few more interesting moments like the opening laps or some battles (Alonso-Hamilton), some stuff in midfield. However, even the Alo-Ham battle seemed like a foregone conclusion, because Ferrari was notably faster at that stage and there were two DRS zones. I don't think I will ever understand, why do they have two DRS zones there, making overtaking way too easy.

wedge
11th June 2013, 14:52
I don't know, for me it is not very interesting if the gaps are so big you can measure them with a calendar. P6 got already lapped. IMO competition is paramount in F1. Drivers may be able to "push", but if there is nothing to fight for, it is not very interesting to watch. Nobody made me as excited as Pérez did at Monaco with his opportunistic driving.

Monaco may have been exciting but it was artificial.

The first stint was a cure for insomnia, the leaders were pacing themselves - VDG could post faster laps than Rosberg - which meant the midfield was compressed. Monaco has always been tricky to pass which required opportunistic driving.

truefan72
11th June 2013, 19:08
There were a few more interesting moments like the opening laps or some battles (Alonso-Hamilton), some stuff in midfield. However, even the Alo-Ham battle seemed like a foregone conclusion, because Ferrari was notably faster at that stage and there were two DRS zones. I don't think I will ever understand, why do they have two DRS zones there, making overtaking way too easy.

yup

steveaki13
11th June 2013, 19:46
I think we have been really lucky with F1 over the last 5 or 6 years. The gaps between cars have been so small the racing means a driver could be racing for a podium or 10th.

Canada wasn't like that, but occasionally these things happen. I dont think this will make the race less interesting though.

Think back to the 80s and 90s, often only 2 or 3 cars finished on the lead lap, with 6th being 2 laps down and we enjoyed F1.

Another factor is the Safety Car. These days the field close up behind it quite alot, but suprisingly we didnt see one this year.

steveaki13
11th June 2013, 19:48
Yeah that's a good point. More often than not in recent times the driver of the race isn't necessarily the driver who crosses the finish line first. I'd rather see a race where the leader could change after the lights go out, but if the rest of the field fight it out and provide some real racing, I enjoy it as much. I think people are so used to Red Bull sorting themselves out and driving into the distance, it puts a downer on the whole race for them. I must admit it frustrates me, not to the point of ruining my day though lol. I stopped watching at the beginning of last decade because it all got boring for me, but am determined to try and keep the faith this time around. I might have to disagree with you on saying this years was the best of recent times though. 2011 was one of the most unpredictable races in years and last year Lewis came from quite far back to win the race against drivers on lesser strategies. Yesterday's race doesn't sound quite so thrilling but contained moments of brilliance. The blokes at work this morning were talking about Alonso and Hamilton and how well they drove so I might skip through it on my lunch break.

I agree with this. Red Bull deserve there success but F1 needs a Ferrari, Lotus or Mercedes champion.

steveaki13
11th June 2013, 19:58
I know Alonso and Hamilton had a tussle in the closing stages.

Yer you should watch those few laps. The sad thing was that it only lasted a few. DRS gave Lewis no chance, which made me mad. I really wanted Lewis to hold on, but he had no chance.

That could have seen a battle for 20 laps instead of 4.

djparky
11th June 2013, 20:15
I've been watching F1 since 1970 something (aside from the mind numbing mid 2000's)

so it's a choice of having drivers go flat out and having a race as dull as Canada or drivers - managing the equipment to make sure they finish and having something happen (something that used to be part of an F1 driver skill)- give me the latter any day. Canada is what happens when the tyres are more durable- I hope all those who have moaned endlessly about tyres that are pleased that they got the equivaelent of a Bridgestone era race- which was about as stimulating as paint drying with Seb several seconds a lap quicker than everyone else and the result not in doubt after the first 10 laps

steveaki13
11th June 2013, 21:26
and the result not in doubt after the first 10 laps

To be fair after 10 laps, I didnt know Alonso would get 2nd, Vergne would get 6th, di Resta get 7th. Or that Massa would pass so many cars.

I enjoyed the race

dj_bytedisaster
12th June 2013, 02:45
I've been watching F1 since 1970 something (aside from the mind numbing mid 2000's)

so it's a choice of having drivers go flat out and having a race as dull as Canada or drivers - managing the equipment to make sure they finish and having something happen (something that used to be part of an F1 driver skill)- give me the latter any day. Canada is what happens when the tyres are more durable- I hope all those who have moaned endlessly about tyres that are pleased that they got the equivaelent of a Bridgestone era race- which was about as stimulating as paint drying with Seb several seconds a lap quicker than everyone else and the result not in doubt after the first 10 laps

The last sentence in your post rendered your whole point invalid. You think the race was boring, because you don't like the winner. But the race was everything but. Somehow you must have missed Alonso going from 6th to 2nd using on-track overtaking moves - something that we didn't see in the Bridgestone era. Somehow you missed di Resta moving from the arse-end of the field to 7th. The only thing that was wrong with the Canada race was the winner - at least in the eyes of some people.
What Canada was, was a race that was decided on track, not in the Pirelli laboratories and some people don't like it, because the RB is still by far the best car out there. But instead of calling a good race boring, because you don't quite fancy, who won it, how about Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren and others get their shyte together and build a car that can challenge the lemonade tins, instead of hoping that Pirelli will stunt their pace enough for the others to keep up. This is F1, not some non-competitive Waldorf school scheme.

henners88
12th June 2013, 08:10
I do think this race put to bed the silly theories that Red Bull had produced the third or fourth best car. It was in a class of its own and proved how important pole position can be if you have the car to make the difference. I just hope this is a one off and we see a closer battle for the rest of this championship. Its true Mercedes and Ferrari need to find answers and fast! Nobody wants to see the same driver dominating year after year even if its your favourite driver. I wouldn't want to see Lewis win every year because I like an underdog and would most likely more my support elsewhere. Right now its exciting to see the challenge and the journey to the front, but its also nice to see good healthy competition too. I know there are many Vettel fans who love the thought of him racking up the stats and winning as many championships as possible, but there must be a fair chunk who would also like to see him racing on the television against other drivers, not the odd snippet of him taking corners as he cruises to the end of the race on fuel mix 2.

dj_bytedisaster
12th June 2013, 11:56
I know there are many Vettel fans who love the thought of him racking up the stats and winning as many championships as possible, but there must be a fair chunk who would also like to see him racing on the television against other drivers, not the odd snippet of him taking corners as he cruises to the end of the race on fuel mix 2.

Are you sure there even is something like Vettel fans? I thought they're all hidden away in hangar7. :D Faster69 must have escaped somehow...
Of course F1 would be more exciting with a different winner every year, but you can hardly blame it on Vettel. What is he supposed to do? Forfeit races deliberately? The fact is that for the last 3 or 4 years, Ferrari and the others failed to build a car that can take the fight to the lemonade cans, but that's their fault not the one of RB or Vettel or Horner. I consider myself a somewhat neutral observer of F1, but of course I'm not going to weep if a compatriot wins a race. The only thing I'm thoroughly sick of is the vitriol that's directed at RB and Vettel out of sheer frustration. If you read the stuff on the BBC website or whenever Gary logs on with a nasty bout of logorrhea, you'd think RB and Vettel have a habit of murdering children.
Also, the tendency to call every race boring, whenever one or both of the RB's disappear into the distance, is very disrespectful towards the other drivers. Canada wasn't nailbiting stuff, but in comparison to Monaco and Barcelona it was miles better entertainment. Calling the race boring means disrespecting the great performances of people like Vergne, di Resta and Alonso.

DexDexter
12th June 2013, 12:14
A lot of discussion about how exciting the race was. I don't know. Maybe it was because the race was in the evening and I was already a bit tired, so I couldn't deepen into it as much as usual and analyze everything. :p : But I didn't find the race as interesting as, say, Monaco.

So from that point of view the race reminded a bit of a standard race from 2011, when the midfield was well below the top teams and usually got lapped. This time the main difference is that Mercedes has replaced McLaren in the Top3.

My thoughts exactly, although people think I found it boring cause Kimi and Valtteri didn't do too well. :)

henners88
12th June 2013, 12:16
Are you sure there even is something like Vettel fans? I thought they're all hidden away in hangar7. :D Faster69 must have escaped somehow...
Well thankfully this forum isn't over ridden with them frothing at the mouth like other places. It reminds me a little when Chelsea suddenly had money, hardly anybody supported them outside of London, and then they reached a boom. F1 drivers experience that too in certain scenario's.

Of course F1 would be more exciting with a different winner every year, but you can hardly blame it on Vettel. What is he supposed to do? Forfeit races deliberately?
I didn't.

The fact is that for the last 3 or 4 years, Ferrari and the others failed to build a car that can take the fight to the lemonade cans, but that's their fault not the one of RB or Vettel or Horner.
I made that point in my last post.

The only thing I'm thoroughly sick of is the vitriol that's directed at RB and Vettel out of sheer frustration. If you read the stuff on the BBC website or whenever Gary logs on with a nasty bout of logorrhea, you'd think RB and Vettel have a habit of murdering children.

Also, the tendency to call every race boring, whenever one or both of the RB's disappear into the distance, is very disrespectful towards the other drivers. Canada wasn't nailbiting stuff, but in comparison to Monaco and Barcelona it was miles better entertainment. Calling the race boring means disrespecting the great performances of people like Vergne, di Resta and Alonso.
Well someone must have had a word with the BBC because from the beginning of 2010 up until the time Jake left, its been very pro Red Bull. Obviously Coulthards consultancy job and the fact Red Bull is not too far from London play a hand in that. Red Bull are also one of the best teams for opening up their PR so the BBC have long played up to this. I think there is a little more balance now and the Beeb are taking more notice of the other British teams like McLaren and Mercedes, so undoubtedly you'll get some of the presenters voicing their own opinions. DC will always be very pro Red Bull and Gary will give his own opinion. They publish both and I have no problem with that. Gary is critical of Mercedes more often than not and although I follow Hamilton, its nice to see an in depth analysis from a technical perspective. I personally think Gary Anderson is the BBC's best asset and can't for the life of me understand how he slipped under the radar whilst we were stuck with that smug idiot Kravitz for so long.

Anyway to the second of your points regarding calling 'every race boring, whenever one or both of the RB's disappear into the distance, is very disrespectful towards the other drivers'. I see that very differently. I see as recognising that their is a gulf between certain teams performances, not necessarily the driver. For instance Alonso and Hamilton put in very good performances on Sunday and that was recognised. Their input was worth watching but the disappointment regarding the race winner is the question mark. Vettel is no doubt a very good driver, one of the very best and his team are doing the job. It can just be frustrating for viewers when it becomes too predictable. That is not Red Bull's fault, its the fault of the viewer but we vote with our mouths and our remote controls.

rjbetty
12th June 2013, 12:59
I personally think Gary Anderson is the BBC's best asset and can't for the life of me understand how he slipped under the radar whilst we were stuck with that smug idiot Kravitz for so long.

I have to say I agree with this.

dj_bytedisaster
12th June 2013, 17:30
Gary is critical of Mercedes more often than not and although I follow Hamilton, its nice to see an in depth analysis from a technical perspective. I personally think Gary Anderson is the BBC's best asset and can't for the life of me understand how he slipped under the radar whilst we were stuck with that smug idiot Kravitz for so long.

Just to avoid misunderstandings - the logorrhea-ridden Gary I was referring to is our Gary in this forum, who logs on every race sunday, releases his I-hate-Vettel fatwa and buggers off until the next race. ;) And the vitriol on BBC is not so much by the BBC, but in their comments. Take the time to read the (allegedly moderated) comment sections there and you'd think the place is mainly frequented by under-educated people with tourette syndrome.

steveaki13
12th June 2013, 20:04
I do think this race put to bed the silly theories that Red Bull had produced the third or fourth best car.

Only one poster thought that and much think Seb is 4 seconds quicker than anyone else.

But it does suggest although its not whitewash so far, the Red Bull is number 1.

wedge
14th June 2013, 15:57
I personally think Gary Anderson is the BBC's best asset and can't for the life of me understand how he slipped under the radar whilst we were stuck with that smug idiot Kravitz for so long.

I appreciate his input but when it comes to certain opinions he's one to talk as he has been responsible for some duff cars in his time - but then perhaps that itself is an easy thing to say for an armchair critic.

As for Kravitz he was an easy target. He came from nowhere and has grown into his role. After every GP he would post up his fact finding post-race notebook on ITV's F1 website and has extended that role for the BBC and now Sky and his a dream for those interested in the technical side of F1 because it would be far too limiting for a mainstream channel.