PDA

View Full Version : Ad Blocking Software

SGWilko
28th May 2013, 10:35
Do any of you employ ad blocking software for IE?

I think I've finally had enough of mature dating ads, or advertisements that display info from Google searches I did last week.

It's really affecting the speed at which most pages that display ads now load and is yanking my chain big time.

If you can recommend a good quality program I would be most grateful.

Cheers.

Mintexmemory
28th May 2013, 10:44

I think I've finally had enough of mature dating ads, or advertisements that display info from Google searches I did last week.

It's really affecting the speed at which most pages that display ads now load and is yanking my chain big time.

If you can recommend a good quality program I would be most grateful.

Cheers.

You really need to stop looking at the dating sites first ;)
I have the same problem of unwanted ads and nothing seems to stop them (I've tried several 'self regulating' programmes!

BleAivano
28th May 2013, 10:46
I use adblock plus for Firefox and its very efficient.

SGWilko
28th May 2013, 10:49
You really need to stop looking at the dating sites first ;)
I have the same problem of unwanted ads and nothing seems to stop them (I've tried several 'self regulating' programmes!

I've never looked a dating site in my life. And anything 'for the weekend' I certainly don't use my work PC or connection for.... ;)

SGWilko
28th May 2013, 10:54

Top - thanks for that. Pages now load like they should - fast, without three different episodes of progress bar to watch as ad after ad loads.

Mark
28th May 2013, 11:58
Just a reminder that this forum is funded in it's entirety from google advertising.

A FONDO
28th May 2013, 14:51

ABP is the king :up: and I want to tell about one more extension that blocks tracking bots and speeds up pages loading even more:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/donottrackplus/

BleAivano
28th May 2013, 16:43
Just a reminder that this forum is funded in it's entirety from google advertising.

ABP allows you to disable it for websites and even sub pages of your choice.

SGWilko
28th May 2013, 16:47

Doesn't that require someone to click on an ad though to generate an income?

I'm all for advertising in a discrete way, but to see some mature woman scantily clad in lingerie meant for someone a third their age take the biscuit!

Doesn't Google know I am happily married? ;)

D-Type
28th May 2013, 17:10
Doesn't that require someone to click on an ad though to generate an income?

I'm all for advertising in a discrete way, but to see some mature woman scantily clad in lingerie meant for someone a third their age take the biscuit!

Doesn't Google know I am happily married? ;)
With the sophistication of modern software, perhaps based on your browsing history the tracking software has identified that you may have a predeliction for 'mutton-dressed-as-lamb' even if you don't know it. Or perhaps it has simply identified you as 'male - of certain age'

SGWilko
28th May 2013, 18:28
How very dare you! ;)

Mark
28th May 2013, 20:03
It does require clicks and you should only click on an advert if the product interests you.

Dave B
31st May 2013, 12:59
First of all I don't use IE, even in it's newest incarnations it's still a steaming pile of doo-dah.

Personally I use Chrome (mainly for seamless operation between devices) with Adblock Plus to block the ads. You can turn it off on a site by site basis, or allow certain types of ads through, so no worries about your favourite forum being punished. I also have the Ghostery extension which takes care of all manner of tracking cookies, it's blocked 3 on this site and up to 20 on well-known news sites, and again you can disable it on individual sites if it breaks functionality. I believe both extensions are available for Firefox but I stopped using it as it seems dog slow since recent updates.

Wade91
2nd June 2013, 22:09
First of all I don't use IE, even in it's newest incarnations it's still a steaming pile of doo-dah.

Personally I use Chrome (mainly for seamless operation between devices) with Adblock Plus to block the ads. You can turn it off on a site by site basis, or allow certain types of ads through, so no worries about your favourite forum being punished. I also have the Ghostery extension which takes care of all manner of tracking cookies, it's blocked 3 on this site and up to 20 on well-known news sites, and again you can disable it on individual sites if it breaks functionality. I believe both extensions are available for Firefox but I stopped using it as it seems dog slow since recent updates.
Chrome + Adblock Plus FTW :D