PDA

View Full Version : whats your favourite animated film ?

ford power
21st May 2013, 16:46
watership down has always been mine
but what is your favorite ?

A FONDO
21st May 2013, 17:09
The Flintstones, Wacky races, Duck Dodgers

pino
21st May 2013, 17:42

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2013, 22:20
All of them.
Esp. The AristoCats

h4guRiNZLGQ

and Gay Purr ee

TdOnhWKiRPI

BleAivano
21st May 2013, 22:43
Robin Hood!!

http://youtu.be/PKYEKhxWy6o

Rudy Tamasz
22nd May 2013, 07:47
Cars!

Speed, I'm speed...

SGWilko
22nd May 2013, 10:15
Probably, due to nostalgia, not a film but a series of shorts;

Willo the Wisp, narrated by Kenneth "ooohhhh Matron" Williams.

Tywin
22nd May 2013, 11:20
Definitely have to be Mulan. That's got some awesome songs and Eddie Murphy as the dragon was great!

schmenke
22nd May 2013, 16:18
Heavy Metal

Spafranco
22nd May 2013, 18:27
watership down has always been mine
but what is your favorite ?

Was that from the seventies?

henners88
22nd May 2013, 18:56
Everything Pixar for me. :)

donKey jote
22nd May 2013, 20:15
Shrek I

Firstgear
22nd May 2013, 21:00
Shrek II'll second that. My second favorite(s) would be a tie between Spirit & Cars

ford power
22nd May 2013, 21:34
Was that from the seventies?
1978 great film

Rollo
22nd May 2013, 23:53
J86DqHR92Ew

I think that it's pretty hard to ignore My Neighbour Totoro (1988). Even 25 years later it still makes most modern CGI animated film look absolutely pathetic. This is in spite of the fact that the film has a hideously simple plot.

Studio Ghibli still hand paint and draw their backgrounds and whilst some of their cels are now CGI, they still look and feel like a traditional animated film; I think that gives them more of a soul than what companies like Pixar are able to do.

R.Lee
23rd May 2013, 01:33
Depends. If PIXLAR is considered animination, then my favorite is "Cars". If not, too many to name. Among them, all of the Disney Classics, especially "Fantisa". Love the Hanna Barbara animination, as well as the Merry Melodies.

TheFamousEccles
23rd May 2013, 01:34
Akira and Ghost in the Shell were two that immediately spring to mind. Also anything from Studio Ghibli - Hayao Miyazaki is a genius IMO.

BleAivano
23rd May 2013, 01:50
If we can name tv-series as well, there are allot of old classics like Starzinger, Voltron, M.A.S.K, Inspector Gadget, He-Man and of course simpsons.

ford power
23rd May 2013, 16:55
the animals of farthing wood was probably one of the best cartoons ever made well i think anyway

A.F.F.
25th May 2013, 10:20
Bambi from the original animated films. Shrek from the newer ones. Incredibles was very good too. :)

N4D13
25th May 2013, 12:52
I'm much younger than most people in this forum, so I'm going to go with The Lion King. One day, out of boredom, I decided to watch it and I realized that it was a really entertaning film, not just a really entertaining kids film. And I loved it. :)

LaFerrari
29th May 2013, 12:40
It has to be Ice Age! Our family (both young and old) can't stop laughing at their jokes. Classic.

Gregor-y
29th May 2013, 17:26
If we can name tv-series as well, there are allot of old classics like Starzinger, Voltron, M.A.S.K, Inspector Gadget, He-Man and of course simpsons.
35-odd years on this seems a bit trippy for kids to be watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwX-8Tc3sQQ

Lucy
17th July 2013, 14:39
The Simpsons!!

Malbec
17th July 2013, 22:34
J86DqHR92Ew

I think that it's pretty hard to ignore My Neighbour Totoro (1988). Even 25 years later it still makes most modern CGI animated film look absolutely pathetic. This is in spite of the fact that the film has a hideously simple plot.

Studio Ghibli still hand paint and draw their backgrounds and whilst some of their cels are now CGI, they still look and feel like a traditional animated film; I think that gives them more of a soul than what companies like Pixar are able to do.

Agreed. Personally I find the moral simplicity of American animation rather dull though the humour and effects are very good. Japanese animation seems to be happier dealing with complicated moral situations whilst keeping them entertaining. I would say Akira is one of my all time favourites but anything from the Studio Ghibli range is absolutely fine. Porco Rosso stands out because I'm a fan both of flying and the mediterranean but grave of the fireflies is definitely worth a watch too. The latter isn't very comfortable viewing as it deals with two Japanese kids starving to death in the aftermath of the firebombing of Japan after their mother dies of burns and their extended family turns them away as they can't afford to feed them.

BleAivano
18th July 2013, 10:11
Almost forgot; Bamse, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamse) an excellent children's animated film, series and "comic" books:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HJTKYd2VQo

CaptainRaiden
18th July 2013, 11:41
Like it has been said above, anything from Studio Ghibli, especially Miyazaki's work is exceptional. Me and my wife have watched pretty much all of them and enjoyed every bit thoroughly. Some of my absolute favorites are:

Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle

And everything else by Mr. Miyazaki. After watching his work, the American Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks stuff just seems dull and plain somehow. I'm not criticizing them, but they just don't carry the same soul as Miyazaki's work IMHO. True genius.

vhatever
18th July 2013, 13:20
it ruined my childhood but i enjoyed the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZcHLpjiEdw

Gregor-y
18th July 2013, 15:53
What's really crazy is that in 1988 Ghibli released Totoro with Grave of the Fireflies as a double feature!

MrJan
18th July 2013, 17:47
I would say Akira is one of my all time favourites but anything from the Studio Ghibli range is absolutely fine. Porco Rosso stands out because I'm a fan both of flying and the mediterranean but grave of the fireflies is definitely worth a watch too. The latter isn't very comfortable viewing as it deals with two Japanese kids starving to death in the aftermath of the firebombing of Japan after their mother dies of burns and their extended family turns them away as they can't afford to feed them.

Absolutely, I remember seeing Grave of the Fireflies when one of our film channels was doing a Studio Ghibli season and was spellbound by it. The story is incredibly moving and it's so beautifully drawing and 'shot' that it really draws you in.

As others have said my favourite animations are pretty much anything from Studio Ghibli, it's so hard to pick a favourite out of any of the ones already mentioned (plus more). The only downside is that increasingly they seem to be on telly as dubbed rather than subtitled, Porco Rosso in particular is affected negatively from this.

I also really enjoyed The Simpsons, not because it's great animation or even that funny, but because it's just like a feature length episode should be and makes me smile all the way through.

BleAivano
18th July 2013, 21:04
Like it has been said above, anything from Studio Ghibli, especially Miyazaki's work is exceptional. Me and my wife have watched pretty much all of them and enjoyed every bit thoroughly. Some of my absolute favorites are:

Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle

And everything else by Mr. Miyazaki. After watching his work, the American Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks stuff just seems dull and plain somehow. I'm not criticizing them, but they just don't carry the same soul as Miyazaki's work IMHO. True genius.

Actually I think Pixar have done a few excellent movies like Up (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1049413/combined) and WALL-E (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910970/combined).
Movies that have a very good story/message, a bit more "grown up" compared to Disney and Dreamworks.

donKey jote
18th July 2013, 22:18
I used to like Beavis and Butthead hehe hhehehe hhehehe :dozey:

TheFamousEccles
19th July 2013, 08:45
hehehhehhe, he said "butt" hehheheheehe

ford power
19th July 2013, 21:26
tom and jerry are still hard to beat

ford power
1st August 2013, 20:59
when the wind blows
When the Wind Blows (Nuclear War) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9aHT-IlkHo)

a very depressing but at the same an excellent film

555-04Q2
2nd August 2013, 06:48
Since I've had to watch it a 100 times with my kids - and I will admit to rather enjoying it - it would have to be Cars.

Mark in Oshawa
8th August 2013, 02:10
All of them.
Esp. The AristoCats

h4guRiNZLGQ

and Gay Purr ee

TdOnhWKiRPI

That was the VERY first movie I went to the theatre to see, and is one of my daughter's favourites. Heck...it is my mom's favourite as well.

Mark in Oshawa
8th August 2013, 02:12
I grew up on the Warner Brother's Loonie tunes...so any Bugs Bunny short would be right up there, but I am thinking we are talking full length movies. I am thinking for me, it was the original Shrek. The Second one is high up there as well......with an honourable mention goes to Cars.......

Mark in Oshawa
8th August 2013, 02:13
I'm much younger than most people in this forum, so I'm going to go with The Lion King. One day, out of boredom, I decided to watch it and I realized that it was a really entertaning film, not just a really entertaining kids film. And I loved it. :)

My daughter's favourite.....and I think I have seen it too many times...an honorable mention maybe....

Tazio
8th August 2013, 03:03
Fantasia