PDA

View Full Version : Your most and least favourite Countries.

Knock-on
20th May 2013, 20:46
Just a bit of fun but apart from your own, what Countries do you most and least like and why.

I'm going to rule out any of the British Isles and concentrate on the rest of the World.

Most Favourite is probably Germany as I like the humour and friendliness and also that their way of sticking 2 fingers up when they want to such as smoking in Bars, no speed limits etc.

Also, Australia and America I enjoy.

Least favourite is Russia. Most miserable, rude Country I have ever had the displeasure to visit. I cause widespread panic whenever I visit Moscow by walking around with a huge smile on my face. It scares the bejezus out of them :D

Also mentions to Paris (OK, it's not a Country but..) and America again mainly for your Immigration officers :D

J4MIE
20th May 2013, 21:17
Favourite: Kenya. Single best days travelling I have had was a day spent in Nakuru Park. Amazing. Nice climate and great scenery & wildlife. Crime, corruption and lack of education is a problem though.

Least favourite: Germany. One of the very few places that I have been to that I would go out of my way to avoid going back to. Far far too punctual and no flexibility in their rules or how people follow them.

D-Type
20th May 2013, 21:26
I think my favourite must be Greece. They seem so laid back - but things get done anyway.

Least favourite? Hard to say. There are some countries whose government attitude tends to grate. There are some whose officialdom seem to like throwing their weight about. There are some where I find many individuals have an unpleasant aggressive attitude but it isn't everyone.

gadjo_dilo
20th May 2013, 21:40
I'm not a globetrotter like you and I can't compare the countries. But definitely I love Greece - kinda weird, I haven't been there yet. My both parents were born there and our family traditions are more related to their way of life. I was always surprised by my greek relatives honesty, joy and lust for life. At the beginning I thought they're a bit silly, always laughing and enjoying even our poverty but in time I realised they were just careless and enjoying life. I also love their respect for the values of the past and for family.
My other obsession is South America, esp. Peru and Machu Picchu in particular.

Leat fav. I don't know...Maybe a few western countries that use to look at us from the height of their civilization...

BleAivano
20th May 2013, 21:45
Favourite: Kenya. Single best days travelling I have had was a day spent in Nakuru Park. Amazing. Nice climate and great scenery & wildlife. Crime, corruption and lack of education is a problem though.

Least favourite: Germany. One of the very few places that I have been to that I would go out of my way to avoid going back to. Far far too punctual and no flexibility in their rules or how people follow them.

Oh c'mon ordnung muss sein. Sweden is quite similar in that sense that rules are rules and they must be followed

Starter
20th May 2013, 21:54
For favorite I'll pick Costa Rica. A beautiful country where the government is dedicated to environmentalism, granted as a way to be a tourist destination, but beautiful none the less. People are friendly and serious crime is low, though property crime is high in the cities. A very reasonable standard of living for that part of the world.

Least favorite, although I haven't been there but just looked across the border, is North Korea for all the obvious reasons.

mr nobody
20th May 2013, 22:49
Favorite: Switzerland, just an absolutely beautiful country with the right mindset about guns and my least favorite is England as it is just a depressing place and nothing of any real interest.

BDunnell
20th May 2013, 22:58
Favourite: too hard to pick just one. I'm with Knock-on about Germany, and, having lived there, simply don't recognise the criticism found elsewhere — of course there are examples of those traits to be found, but no more or less so than one finds anywhere else. Nowhere is perfect, so I'm also willing to overlook the faults of France and Norway and class them amongst my favourites too.

Least favourite: again, I must agree with Knock-on and go for Russia. The place stinks of corruption at every turn — it's there around you in a way I've never seen in any other nation. It's a country with so much going for it, yet the decay caused by years of totalitarianism of one sort or another, combined more recently with the arrival of capitalism in a deeply damaging manner, is too much to be ignored. Amongst places I've never visited, North Korea is an extremely sad case for the obvious reasons, and South Africa is not somewhere I have the slightest desire to experience, given the levels of crime and certain underlying attitudes.

henners88
21st May 2013, 07:52
Most favourites for me are Italy, Ireland, and Belgium.

Least Favourites are Egypt, Spain and Turkey.

All places I have visited and formed opinions based on my experiences. I also really enjoyed America and Canada when I've visited in the past. People are friendly and welcoming and nothing seems too much trouble. Italy is probably by far my favourite as I love Italian food and wine. Visited the place a few times and loved Sicily too. I've always found the Spanish to be quite rude, but then again different cultures have different ways to express themselves. The Brits reputation in Spain also can't help of course.

Rudy Tamasz
21st May 2013, 08:15
Fav: Austria. Extremely cosy and comfortable country.

Least fav: Czech Republic. I spent about two hours there crossing the country by train in one direction, and then two hours on my way back. That time was enough for Czech border guards to give me hard time for no apparent reason. Czech visa clerks were rude, too.

Also, a couple words in defense of Russia. Moscow is crap, indeed, in every respect. The province is different, though. People are very cordial and open up to you once you get to know each other. There's a lot of unique culture there, too.

pino
21st May 2013, 08:22
My favorite is Ireland, love everything, the country, the people, the food and especially the music :s mokin:

Least favorite must be Russia, been there once and that was enough.

Mintexmemory
21st May 2013, 09:26
I love Italy from Sardinia to Tuscany, the art, the cuisine the different landscapes and the music.
I spent 2 weeks in Siberia (via Moscow) in 2006 - I still wake up screaming 'not bloody sour cream again!' some nights.

SGWilko
21st May 2013, 09:32
Not well travelled at all. I've only been to;

Tunisia (sh!t hole - but it was a cheap holiday), Bulgaria, Skiing (very nice, good memories), France (proposed to 'er indoors atop the Eiffel Tower), Ireland (stag do, OK, but every one else and their mates had the same idea!) and Italy, Honeymoon around Lake Garda.

Favourite, well Italy, just such a beautiful country. This is why I like it so much;

A FONDO
21st May 2013, 10:25
My own country is good enough for me :D

Least favorite should be israel

Knock-on
21st May 2013, 12:01
I've always found the Spanish to be quite rude, but then again different cultures have different ways to express themselves. The Brits reputation in Spain also can't help of course.

Spain's a funny one. I nearly included it in my faves but know what you mean and agree with your reason.

There are too many rude, xenophobic, arrogant Brits that have spoilt the Costas and turned the Spanish people away from us. However, if you make the effort, speak a bit of Spannish, take an interest and are polite, you will soon break down these barriers and have a great time in Spain. The people are warm and friendly when they get to know you, have a Fiesta every couple of weeks and love to party with good food and plenty of drink. Also, some parts of the North are stunning nd the last hundred clicks from Madrid to Bilbao is one of the most stunning roads in the world.

Knock-on
21st May 2013, 12:14
and South Africa is not somewhere I have the slightest desire to experience, given the levels of crime and certain underlying attitudes.

I haven't been there since just after the end of Apartheid. However, it's a stunning country and a bit like the last wild, wild West. I have a lot of friends there and would love to go back one day but you have to be careful there s it is dangerous if you're careless.

henners88
21st May 2013, 12:16
Spain's a funny one. I nearly included it in my faves but know what you mean and agree with your reason.

There are too many rude, xenophobic, arrogant Brits that have spoilt the Costas and turned the Spanish people away from us. However, if you make the effort, speak a bit of Spannish, take an interest and are polite, you will soon break down these barriers and have a great time in Spain. The people are warm and friendly when they get to know you, have a Fiesta every couple of weeks and love to party with good food and plenty of drink. Also, some parts of the North are stunning nd the last hundred clicks from Madrid to Bilbao is one of the most stunning roads in the world.
Yeah I know what you mean. I think I've been to Spain near to twenty times in my life and always had a good holiday there. I certainly think us Brits are amongst the rudest in Europe, especially in terms of customer service. I drove to northern Spain in 2000 with a female mate. Took us only 2 days to get there and camped, one of the best holidays I've had. I think its just the mannerism's of people that perhaps give the wrong impression. I went on a cruise 3 years ago around the Eastern Med and the majority of the people onboard were Italian. Its amazing how different us Europeans are and trying to explain queuing to Italians can often get a rude response lol. I think we all have different levels of politeness. :)

BDunnell
21st May 2013, 12:55
I haven't been there since just after the end of Apartheid. However, it's a stunning country and a bit like the last wild, wild West. I have a lot of friends there and would love to go back one day but you have to be careful there s it is dangerous if you're careless.

Personally, I wouldn't blame anyone else for such things other than those who actually commit the crimes.

D-Type
21st May 2013, 13:18
My own country is good enough for me :D

Least favorite should be israel

And what is your own country? Your profile doesn't say

A FONDO
21st May 2013, 13:45
The idea is not to recommend it for a visit or to promote it as being superior to others. The idea is that I feel my place as sufficient enough so I dont dare to go abroad, except for some particular motorsport or football event.

henners88
21st May 2013, 13:49
The idea is not to recommend it for a visit or to promote it as being superior to others. The idea is that I feel my place as sufficient enough so I dont dare to go abroad, except for some particular motorsport or football event.
I don't see anything wrong with that viewpoint at all. Is there a reason why you can't name it here though? Do you feel you will be judged because of it? I can assure you no-one here is like that.

pino
21st May 2013, 13:54
I am from Italy and proud of that ! :p : ;)

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2013, 14:20
I am from Italy and proud of that ! :p : ;)
I've never understood this "proud to be...." thing.
Nobody asked us if we wanted to be born of x or y nationality, it wasn't a personal choice and it's not an award we won through a competition.. We were born of a certain nationality as well as we were born male or female, blonde or brunette, tall or short. To say I'm proud to be.... is like saying I'm proud to have blue eyes.
More than that you can't be proud to belong to such a large category because it's inevitable it may contain contradictory elements.
:confused:

SGWilko
21st May 2013, 14:23
Nobody asked us if we wanted to be born of x or y nationality, it wasn't a personal choice and it's not an award we won through a competition.. We were born of a certain nationality as well as we were born male or female, blonde or brunette, tall or short. To say I'm proud to be.... is like saying I'm proud to have blue eyes.
More than that you can't be proud to belong to such a large category because it's inevitable it may contain contradictory elements.

I doubt you'd be proud to be born in Zimbabwe, Afghanistan or Siria..........

I see Pino's point.

I'm proud to be British.....

Rudy Tamasz
21st May 2013, 14:34

I went to Spain (or rather Catalunya) last year with the family and found the atmosphere there perfectly friendly from all sides. I didn't notice Brits being rude or locals being rude to Brits in response. I only had some funny memories related to Brits. Once I saw a Brit asking the bartender for a beer and it took the latter a while to figure out what he had to serve. I guess that was because he was used to hearing things like that in simplified international English, which would sound smth. like "van bihr". Once he got through a thick British accent he duly served a beer.

Then my son got perplexed by people speaking foreign languages. So he started talking gibberish in response to what sounded gibberish to him. Once he engaged in a conversation in a swimming pool with a six or so year old Brit. Among the meaningless words he pronounced one sounded like "spans". The Brit asked me: "Is 'e Spanish? Where is 'e from?" "From Belarus," said I. The it was the Brit's turn to be perplexed as he obviously never heard about such country. He chose then to swim in the opposite direction from the weird father and son.

Rudy Tamasz
21st May 2013, 14:35

Do you have blue eyes? ;)

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2013, 14:54
I doubt you'd be proud to be born in Zimbabwe, Afghanistan or Siria...............

Why not? It's personal qualities that are important not the place where we were born and live. I'm romanian and a mediocre one. I can't see any reason to associate my humble person with the personalities of this country that might make me "proud to be born" here. At the same time I also can't identify myself with the army of beggars, thiefs, whores, etc. that make this country famous.
We are ( at least, cos I have some suspicions ) 3 romanians on Chit Chat, me, Big Ben and Ioan and we are very different. Don't think that if you analyse the 3 of us you'll say "romanians are...."

I'm proud to be British.....
Good for you. But being british is not a guarantee you're a good man.

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2013, 14:56
Do you have blue eyes? ;)

I've said above about my greek roots. So definitely not. :laugh:

Knock-on
21st May 2013, 15:16
My boys are half Greek and one has Blue eyes :p

I like Greece too but could never live in such a state of apathy :D

Starter
21st May 2013, 15:19
A very good point. So, I'd like to say I'm happy to be American. :)

SGWilko
21st May 2013, 15:22
Why not? It's personal qualities that are important not the place where we were born and live. I'm romanian and a mediocre one. I can't see any reason to associate my humble person with the personalities of this country that might make me "proud to be born" here. At the same time I also can't identify myself with the army of beggars, thiefs, whores, etc. that make this country famous.
We are ( at least, cos I have some suspicions ) 3 romanians on Chit Chat, me, Big Ben and Ioan and we are very different. Don't think that if you analyse the 3 of us you'll say "romanians are...."

Indeed not - but the point is pride in your country and your origin, not whether I am a saint or a sinner.

SGWilko
21st May 2013, 15:23
A very good point. So, I'd like to say I'm happy to be American. :)

All americans are happy - "Y'all have a nice day now" and all that...... ;)

Starter
21st May 2013, 16:08
True, but sometimes a few of us are a little too happy, if you know what I mean. :rolleyes: :D

henners88
21st May 2013, 16:24

Why do people support individual football teams when you could just support the sport as a whole? It's about taking pride in something, but I have no problem with people who are not particularly proud of where they come from. You related yourself to the Moldovan entry in the Eurovision Song Contest because they sang in your language and defended the criticisms of Romania's effort I have to point out.
Did you want any particular country to win or do you not understand the point when you could just support anybody? Not everything related to supporting your country of origin should be perceived as nationalism. :)

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2013, 16:29
"Happy are the poor in spirit because theirs is the kingdom of Heaven" :devil:

ford power
21st May 2013, 16:42
for me my own home country of ireland will always be my favorite ( even though our weather and government are both sh:t )

pino
21st May 2013, 16:45
OMG, see what I have done :eek: my apologies for taking this thread off topic with my post. Can we go back to the original topic now, which is your favorite and your least favorite countries thanks :)

Knock-on
21st May 2013, 16:58
Yeah Pino, you Troll :p

Surprised nobody has mentioned Asia or South America yet.

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2013, 17:52
Why do people support individual football teams when you could just support the sport as a whole? It's about taking pride in something, but I have no problem with people who are not particularly proud of where they come from. You related yourself to the Moldovan entry in the Eurovision Song Contest because they sang in your language and defended the criticisms of Romania's effort I have to point out.
Did you want any particular country to win or do you not understand the point when you could just support anybody? Not everything related to supporting your country of origin should be perceived as nationalism. :)
Before coming back to the topic let's clear some facts:
1. I wasn't born a Steaua fan, it's my personal choice.I did it when it was an obscure team with no reason to be proud of, I did it when it won the European Champions Cup and I still do now when it's mediocre. Over time I might change my mind and support other team(that's a lie of course:laugh :) . My nationality will always be romanian whether I like it or not.
2. I supported Moldova for the simple fact that it's a part of Romania even if today it's still separated from us. I'd have supported it even if the singer had sung in swahili. And to be honest all the Eurovision fuss I made is just for fun, I'm not such a dilo to think we'll ever win.
3. I'm supporting my country not because I'm proud of it or happy to live here. Even in my family there are members I'm not proud of but I'll always support them ( that's probably part of greek heritage :laugh :)
4 To "be proud" of your country doesn't necessarily mean you're nationalist.

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2013, 17:55

You haven't read my first post.....

BDunnell
21st May 2013, 17:59
I doubt you'd be proud to be born in Zimbabwe, Afghanistan or Siria..........

Why? Nationality can be a source of pride even if your country isn't all you might want it to be.

BDunnell
21st May 2013, 18:00

Yes, I think all that is very true.

Starter
21st May 2013, 18:06

See post # 6. :)

Knock-on
21st May 2013, 19:13
You haven't read my first post.....

I must admit, sometimes I gloss over a bit ...... ;)

I've only been to a couple of South American Countries and not been to Peru yet. Mexico was OK but didn't really wow me although I met some great people. Brasil was fun but any country named after a Ladies 'Haircut' is gonna be a ball :D

What's so good about Peru that you like?

Donney
21st May 2013, 19:18
This is an interesting topic, isn't it?

I guess I have been a very lucky since everywhere I have travelled I found nice and friendly people, so my choice of favourite/least favourite country depends mainly on my circumstances at the time.

Favourite: -The USA, always friendly and welcoming at least on both coast I am not sure about the middle part I am not exactly a Spanish stereotype but I won't be mistaken as a local.
- The UK even if the weather is miserable I like it. I am not a big fan of London though.
- Portugal, lovely people, awesome food and beautiful language.

Least favourite: Australia, not based on Australians but the summer I spent there was very difficult for me. I only had 400 aussie $ for three months and I was in charge of a group of 30 students. It was not nice. I would love to go back again and prove myself wrong.

Knock-on
21st May 2013, 19:25
See post # 6. :)

I think I was asleep on the first page :dork:

Starter
21st May 2013, 20:03
I think I was asleep on the first page :dork:
Been there, done that. :D

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2013, 21:01
What's so good about Peru that you like?

Peru is a mysterious place. When I was very very very young I watched documentaries and read books abut Mac!hu Picchu, Cuzco, Nazca, lake Titicaka, that excited my imagination. Then I'm mad about Mario Vargas Llosa's novels that increased my interest in this country. When I think of a good place I can't be arsed with petty things like good food or friendly people.I' like things I can't find in my country and a bit of adventure to balance my prosaic existance.
Unfortunately, for different reasons, I couldn't travel farther than Bulgaria and I feel ashamed when I see most of you traveled so much.

Knock-on
21st May 2013, 22:16
Thanks for that insight.

With me, a lot of my enjoyment is the people and culture. Everyone in Moscow has a face like a spanked bum which is why I don't like the place plus it costs a fortune!

I also want to visit Vietnam as it looks like a nice place with varied food and people. Might take a holiday for the first time in a decade :D

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2013, 22:46
Thanks for that insight.

With me, a lot of my enjoyment is the people and culture. Everyone in Moscow has a face like a spanked bum which is why I don't like the place plus it costs a fortune!

You're exaggerating. Russian girls are famous for their beauty. More than that it's the slavic soul that's fascinating- in case you bother to discover it. I mean that eternal heartbreaking conflict of the soul in search of a happy solution for life. A soul with a dilema: Do I love to suffer or do I suffer in order to love? Maybe you need to listern to some Vladimir Visotky songs....

Knock-on
21st May 2013, 23:05
Too deep for an old grease monkey like me :D

Some places you like and some you don't but its all part of the great game. Funnily enough, I quite like Ukraine and they're not exactly a bundle of laughs. Just more approachable

Rollo
21st May 2013, 23:56
Fav:
Italy is delightfully bonkers. People love to complain about everything, they love to discuss things loudly, they sing loudly and they don't muck about when it comes to restaurants, pubs or cafes. Italy is a nation without self-control - "La Dolce Vita" is a phrase which can exist only in Italy.

Special mention must be made of France. Not Paris which is IMWPO not "French" but rural France. Provided you make an effort to try to speak a little French, the locals will fall all over you trying to be hospitable. I pulled in at a petrol station asking for directions and one chap asked me to follow him, which led to coffee and cake at his shop before sending me on my way.

Unfavourite:
Paris. I'm willing to punch Paris out of France and call it it's own thing. The first time I went there, I orginally thought that Parisians were rude to outsiders but the second time I went there and went with a cousin, I found that Parisians are also rude to other Parisians.
Paris smells of wee, the people either don't know how to or don't care to drive properly and people will try to walk through you if you're standing on a Metro platform.

BDunnell
22nd May 2013, 00:14
Special mention must be made of France. Not Paris which is IMWPO not "French" but rural France. Provided you make an effort to try to speak a little French, the locals will fall all over you trying to be hospitable. I pulled in at a petrol station asking for directions and one chap asked me to follow him, which led to coffee and cake at his shop before sending me on my way.

Couldn't agree more. The week I've just spent there reinforces exactly those feelings. Great fun.

gadjo_dilo
22nd May 2013, 04:54
Unfavourite:
Paris. I'm willing to punch Paris out of France and call it it's own thing. The first time I went there, I orginally thought that Parisians were rude to outsiders but the second time I went there and went with a cousin, I found that Parisians are also rude to other Parisians.
Paris smells of wee, the people either don't know how to or don't care to drive properly and people will try to walk through you if you're standing on a Metro platform.

Ahaaaaaaa....... It explains why Bucharest is called Little Paris.
: :laugh:

Never been there but it's one of my dreams.
I even dreamt one night that I was there with my boss -who acted like a jerk as usual. Now whenever I say I'd die he says I must live to see Paris with him. :devil:

gadjo_dilo
22nd May 2013, 08:25
Favourite: -The USA, always friendly and welcoming at least on both coast I am not sure about the middle part I am not exactly a Spanish stereotype but I won't be mistaken as a local.

Yeah...When you need a visa you'll see how friendly and welcoming they are. :devil:

henners88
22nd May 2013, 09:19
I've driven through the centre of Paris and it was one of the scariest situations I have ever found myself in. Its a beautiful city in parts but its like many other cities where the scum aren't too far away. Its not somewhere I've been and thought, wow I really want to return here soon. I'm not a huge fan of London, but then again only Londoners truly like London lol. Its one of those places where its enjoyable to go for a day, but on the packed train at the end, you just can't wait to get out of the place. I also don't like the mentality of 'England being a country surrounded by the M25'. Quite a few of my friends moved there after University and only a couple still remain. Every single one of them at some point got quite arrogant about London being the best place to live in the UK. One of them has bought a flat in the last month and it costs double what my 4 bed new build house is worth in Wales. If they want to pay through the nose and live in the rat race, that is fine by me.

The worst place I have ever been in the world by far is Egypt. What a filthy place that is. I've been to places where poverty is rife but in Egypt I got the impression it could have been better if the people had at least tried to look after their surroundings. I covered a lot of Egypt during my time there and it was very rare to see nice parts, apart from resorts. Driving into Cairo I saw a garbage truck tipping its contents into the river Nile which was weird for two reasons. One, I couldn't believe Cairo had a rubbish collection service considering how much rubbish was dumped in the streets or on the edge of the desert and two, the river Nile is an attraction I feel they should look after, not to mention a source of water for the city. Another shocker that stands out was when we tried to leave a coach at the pyramids. Stupidly I let my wife go in front of me and as soon as one of her feet touched the floor outside she was literally grabbed by several men either selling tacky souvenirs, or informing her she would be paying $40 to ride on a camel whether she wanted to or not. I thought at one point I was going to be arrested by the very lazy tourist police who stroll round smoking fags and pointing their AK-47 rifles. I had one guy by the throat as he gripped and stretched my wife's t shirt in the struggle. Our tour guide diffused the situation and the camel guider chanted 'donkey' at me as we walked away. Not sure if he was referring to our own resident 'Donkey' here or actually under the impression it would insult me?

The final delight of that trip was visiting a famous Mosque. we were told before we left that day that women had to cover their shoulders and legs to which my wife did out of respect. What my wife didn't realise was the white t shirt she was wearing was quite transparent and you could see her bra through it. When inside this Mosque we wondered around reading the tourist info boards when two men approached her and took a photo of her chest with their camera phones before walking away sniggering. What the actual hell??!!! To me that was not only disrespectful to us but also disrespectful to do it in a place or worship. As you can probably tell I hated Egypt lol. If earth had a backside, this was it. :)

gadjo_dilo
22nd May 2013, 09:31
Hmmm....I see all egyptian inconvenients were somehow related to your wife...
:devil:

henners88
22nd May 2013, 09:37
Hmmm....I see all egyptian inconvenients were somehow related to your wife...
:devil:
Not all the annoyances though. ;)

SGWilko
22nd May 2013, 09:47
Fav:
Italy is delightfully bonkers. People love to complain about everything, they love to discuss things loudly, they sing loudly and they don't muck about when it comes to restaurants, pubs or cafes. Italy is a nation without self-control - "La Dolce Vita" is a phrase which can exist only in Italy.

Unfavourite:

Hmmm - you may as well have been describing inner London there too!

Big Ben
22nd May 2013, 09:53
I'll break both rules... it's not a country and it's a place part of my own country.... So the most dreadful place I've been to is Bucharest. Horrible place, nasty people (not all of them but so many) and perhaps the ugliest capital in UE. Don't get upset gadjo. I'm sure your are dragging up the average :p :

I really like Germany and Austria. It's a fondness that comes from the frustration of living in such a chaotic country as my own.

SGWilko
22nd May 2013, 10:02
Why? Nationality can be a source of pride even if your country isn't all you might want it to be.

Yes, I didn't really engage my brain before I started typing. What I meant was that you would not be proud of what is happening in Zim etc. I am sure that the real, untaited Afghan's are very sincere and nice folk who are proud of their heritage.

gadjo_dilo
22nd May 2013, 10:27
I'll break both rules... it's not a country and it's a place part of my own country.... So the most dreadful place I've been to is Bucharest. Horrible place, nasty people (not all of them but so many) and perhaps the ugliest capital in UE. Don't get upset gadjo. I'm sure your are dragging up the average :p :

I don't because I agree with you. However I'm a perfect "Mitică". Or how our co-forumers would say, you can take me out of Bucharest but you can't take Bucharest out of me. :laugh:

On a serious note how can you explain that being despised by the rest of the country ( esp by the arrogant transylvanians ) this horrible city attracts the provincials like a sh*t attracts the flies?

Franky
22nd May 2013, 10:39
I just want to go to all those places you guys don't like :D

I actually can't figure out which country is my favourite or which I dislike. I've got no problems with Russia or any other country. But the mentioned crazy traffic, I want to try it out. Inner London traffic was pretty good.

Knock-on
22nd May 2013, 11:11
I've driven through the centre of Paris and it was one of the scariest situations I have ever found myself in.

You try doing it on a Motorbike then. :laugh:

The worst traffic I have encountered is in...... wait for it........ MOSCOW!! When your being driven on a Motorway at 30 mph in reverse in a 40 year old Lada, the wrong way up the Hard sholder, forcing other cars who are innocently using the Hard sholder as a means to overtake to scatter, in a car spewing Carbon Monoxide into the cockpit, then you're in Moscow.

Or when your on a two lane road with a car undertaking you on a gravel verge, another overtaking on the opposite lane with a third using the gravel verge on the other side of the road to overtake the car overtaking me, while a car travelling towards me is detirmined to overtake on your side of the road, all at 70mph on potholed roads it's no safe to do 20mph on. Or you try to cross a quiet street at night when a Ferrari passes at about 150mph with no lights on then you know you're in Moscow.

These aren't one off events but every day driving experiences in Moscow and Russia. I don't know how many death crashes I have seen but if you take the 'Motorway' from Belarus to Moscow, (M9 or M20 I think) then you are guarenteed to see one and in excess of 100 recent shrines to people who have died.

pino
22nd May 2013, 11:22
My worst driving experience ever was in Athens in 2003 and a couple of members of this forums can confirm that, Calcutta, Naples, Paris, Agadir, Colombo and Bangkok cannot compare to it... :eek: :crazy:

BDunnell
22nd May 2013, 11:26
Tripoli was the most frightening place I've ever been roads-wise. Every taxi journey seemed like an appalling gamble, especially as the driver appeared to take it as a personal affront if one tried to put on one's seatbelt. The standard of driving was appalling, but luckily we (meaning the taxi driver and I) were only involved in two minor bumps.

gadjo_dilo
22nd May 2013, 11:29
I don't know how many death crashes I have seen but if you take the 'Motorway' from Belarus to Moscow, (M9 or M20 I think) then you are guarenteed to see one and in excess of 100 recent shrines to people who have died. Is it much? Lascar Catargiu Boulevard in the heart of Bucharest is only 926 metres long and I can count 3 such things.

Big Ben
22nd May 2013, 11:31
On a serious note how can you explain that being despised by the rest of the country ( esp by the arrogant transylvanians ) this horrible city attracts the provincials like a sh*t attracts the flies?

you really don't know?

gadjo_dilo
22nd May 2013, 11:35
You tell me...

Big Ben
22nd May 2013, 11:52
ok. you know :laugh:

Rudy Tamasz
22nd May 2013, 12:12
Okay, beat this. Once I took a cab in Budapest from the airport to downtown. I shared it with a guy from Azerbaijan. The driver asked us where we were from and then unfolded a newspaper and started reading out the results of the Euro qualifying soccer games for us while doing 40 mph. I'm not sure he really watched the road.

gadjo_dilo
22nd May 2013, 12:26
Okay, beat this. Once I took a cab in Budapest from the airport to downtown. I shared it with a guy from Azerbaijan. The driver asked us where we were from and then unfolded a newspaper and started reading out the results of the Euro qualifying soccer games for us while doing 40 mph. I'm not sure he really watched the road.

My father had a cousin in Greece who was a taxi driver. Once when he came here with some clients he took me and my brother for a ride with his brand new Mercedes. He played the music loud, accelerated and then took off his hands from the wheel and for minutes started a sort of dance. I was terrified and even after so many years I'm still haunted by that song.

A FONDO
22nd May 2013, 12:42
watch this and then complain for taxi drivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDp2eAmMlvg

dj_bytedisaster
22nd May 2013, 13:31
I'm going against the trend here - my favourite country is Russia. Most people judge Russia by its European part, which is where all the newly-rich gits live - especially Moscow, St- Petersburg and Samara. I, however, spent a lot of time in Omsk in Siberia and you wouldn't believe the friendliness and open-mindedness of the people there. Of course you cannot really experience that if you don't speak Russian, since most Russians are not very good at foreign languages.

My least favourite country is Israel, which is a tricky thing to say as a German, because of our history. But that's exactly why I have trouble liking Israel, especially its political caste. They use German history as a blackmailing tool. Criticize Israel for something like Mossad assasination commandos or their settlements in the palestinian areas and you won't get half the sentence out before they shout 'Holocaust' to silence you. I know a few Israelis and they are very friendly people and have no problem interacting with Germans, but their political elites are hard to live with.

henners88
22nd May 2013, 13:32
I had a very similar experience in Budapest myself. A guy picked us up in a VW Phaeton and drove us downtown during busy hour. He spent the entire journey with his mobile to his ear talking to what must have been his girlfriend while he had several near misses and scared the living daylights out of us in the back. They all seem to be mental where driving is concerned though. Italy was pretty bad for that too, with scooters using pavements.

Rudy Tamasz
22nd May 2013, 15:07
Italy was pretty bad for that too, with scooters using pavements.

In Kyiv, Ukraine drivers chase pedestrians off pavements trying to bypass traffic jams. That's a pretty frequent practice.

Knock-on
22nd May 2013, 15:17
In Kyiv, Ukraine drivers chase pedestrians off pavements trying to bypass traffic jams. That's a pretty frequent practice.

LOL. Yeah. You will be quite happily walking down a pavement and find a car driving down with a scooter trying to overtake it and both looking at you like 'WTF are you doing on the pavement'. Dive or die situation :laugh:

Rudy Tamasz
22nd May 2013, 16:00
LOL. Yeah. You will be quite happily walking down a pavement and find a car driving down with a scooter trying to overtake it and both looking at you like 'WTF are you doing on the pavement'. Dive or die situation :laugh:

That's a tough thing to get used to, especially being from Minsk, where pedestrian is king. A classic Minsk pedestrian is a hooded person with loud music in earphones and complete disregard of cars around him.

donKey jote
22nd May 2013, 19:56

I'm proud of my Turkish, English, Irish, Spanish and German heritage :andrea:

donKey jote
22nd May 2013, 20:06
Our tour guide diffused the situation and the camel guider chanted 'donkey' at me as we walked away. Not sure if he was referring to our own resident 'Donkey' here or actually under the impression it would insult me?

Maybe he recognised your missus and thought you were me :s ailor: :andrea:

henners88
22nd May 2013, 20:14
Possibly yeah lol. Come to think of it she rode a donkey on the beach in Bournemouth a few years ago and loved it, are you hiding something from me? :p

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2013, 21:23
:erm:

markabilly
23rd May 2013, 06:09
You're exaggerating. Russian girls are famous for their beauty. More than that it's the slavic soul that's fascinating- in case you bother to discover it. I mean that eternal heartbreaking conflict of the soul in search of a happy solution for life. A soul with a dilema: Do I love to suffer or do I suffer in order to love? Maybe you need to listern to some Vladimir Visotky songs....

It was probably in the winter time...as weather warms up, so do the girls

markabilly
23rd May 2013, 06:13

you forgot your Greek and all those Greek lessons you were getting while you were in prison

gadjo_dilo
23rd May 2013, 06:57

Mongrel!

Knock-on
23rd May 2013, 09:56
Mongol as well :s hock:

Donkeys get around more than I thought :D

BDunnell
23rd May 2013, 13:04
Coincidentally to this thread: BBC News - BBC poll: Germany most popular country in the world (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22624104)

Knock-on
23rd May 2013, 13:17
Very happy to see the UK up there in third. After yesterdays events and some of the nay-sayers, it's easy to think we're hated around the World but reassuring to see people quite like us. Glad of that because overall, I think we're quite nice people :)

pino
23rd May 2013, 13:52
Sorry but this poll has nothing to do with this thread, as we are judging countries base on our vacation experience not about life-quality of each country. Or am I missing something ? ;)

henners88
23rd May 2013, 13:59
Sorry but this poll has nothing to do with this thread, as we are judging countries base on our vacation experience not about life-quality of each country. Or am I missing something ? ;)
Italy may be the favourite amongst the people here Pino but you lose in the poll lol. I might actually get a t shirt printed that says 'Great Britain - Third most popular country in the world.'

pino
23rd May 2013, 14:03
Then tell me why million people go on vacation to Italy starting from Germans ? ;)

henners88
23rd May 2013, 14:23
Then tell me why million people go on vacation to Italy starting from Germans ? ;)
Good food, friendly people and a better chance of sunshine than in Berlin? For the record though I like Germany too and feel they are some of the friendliest in Europe. :)

N4D13
23rd May 2013, 14:24
I must admit that my least favourite country is possibly the USA. I've never been there, though, but being Spanish -and a leftist-, it's difficult not to have a good impression of it. My view of the USA is very heavily influenced by stereotypes and, in particular, I dislike their elites' opposition to things such as good public health and education, which is something simply unforgivable for me. And there's also guns.

That said, I'd be extremely happy to be able to travel to the US and be proven wrong. Almost everything I read about the US in Spanish press is negative and that has obviously taken its toll in my opinion of the country, but every now and then I heard stuff from people who have actually travelled there and they're always telling me that they're very friendly and nice people. I guess travelling is the best remedy for prejudice...

Oh, and I guess I'd take New Zealand as my favourite country. People were really nice to me when I was there and the scenery is absolutely impressive.

schmenke
23rd May 2013, 14:53
Of all the places I’ve visited Australia is my favourite. Great atmosphere, wonderful people, fantastic places to visit. A close second is the south of France.

South Korea was also wonderful with some of the warmest, friendliest people I’ve ever met :up: .

The U.S.A. is a bit of an enigma. Most of my travels there have been very positive, but I’ve also visited places where I’d rather never return :s .

Gregor-y
23rd May 2013, 16:25
I must admit that my least favourite country is possibly the USA. I've never been there, though, but being Spanish -and a leftist-, it's difficult not to have a good impression of it. My view of the USA is very heavily influenced by stereotypes and, in particular, I dislike their elites' opposition to things such as good public health and education, which is something simply unforgivable for me. And there's also guns.

That said, I'd be extremely happy to be able to travel to the US and be proven wrong. Almost everything I read about the US in Spanish press is negative and that has obviously taken its toll in my opinion of the country, but every now and then I heard stuff from people who have actually travelled there and they're always telling me that they're very friendly and nice people. I guess travelling is the best remedy for prejudice...
It doesn't help that a lot of the extremists seem to be on the web and get all sorts of confidence from their anonymity to be complete jerks. Assuming you can get past the TSA and into the US, even the parts you'd consider full of gun toting crazies are actually nice. Just don't engage when someone goes off on a political tangent.

Starter
23rd May 2013, 16:51
Just don't engage when someone goes off on a political tangent.
Good advice, but it rarely happens without the able assistance of alcohol. :D

BDunnell
23rd May 2013, 16:56

While it may surprise some of the Americans on here that I should say so, I disagree. As I've always said, criticism of aspects of American policy and life is very different from being 'anti-American', or disliking Americans. I have no doubt about the USA, once one is actually in the country, offering a warm welcome and many tremendous experiences.

N4D13
23rd May 2013, 17:57
While it may surprise some of the Americans on here that I should say so, I disagree. As I've always said, criticism of aspects of American policy and life is very different from being 'anti-American', or disliking Americans. I have no doubt about the USA, once one is actually in the country, offering a warm welcome and many tremendous experiences.
You'd be surprised (or maybe not) to know that a large segment of the Spanish population considers itself 'anti-American'. That said, I need to point out that you're right - their dislike of America is based on its government's policies, not the actual Americans.

Starter
23rd May 2013, 18:01
You'd be surprised (or maybe not) to know that a large segment of the Spanish population considers itself 'anti-American'. That said, I need to point out that you're right - their dislike of America is based on its government's policies, not the actual Americans.
Considering that a good percentage, and growing, of the American population is hispanic, I find that highly amusing.

donKey jote
23rd May 2013, 18:16
you forgot your Greek and all those Greek lessons you were getting while you were in prison

no Greek in me and never has been, unlike your missus :andrea:

donKey jote
23rd May 2013, 18:20
Considering that a good percentage, and growing, of the American population is hispanic, I find that highly amusing.
a good percentage, and growing, of the Spanish population is hispanic too... if you listen to the more xenophobic politicians in Spain at least ;) :p

Gregor-y
23rd May 2013, 18:21
Hispanic is not necessarily Spanish. Stop making us look silly! :p

donKey jote
23rd May 2013, 19:39
back in 1984, my first trip to the US:

"where do you come from?"
"I live in Madrid, Spain" (I thought I'd point out Spain to make things easier)
"where in Mexico is that?"

Was in Dallas, but the guy was also white-skinned, blond-haired and blue-eyed. :dozey: :andrea:

Starter
23rd May 2013, 19:48

Was in Dallas, but the guy was also white-skinned, blond-haired and blue-eyed. :dozey: :andrea:
That's OK. I had a conversation a couple years ago with someone (US citizen) who was adamant that New Mexico was not a US state but a foreign country.

dj_bytedisaster
23rd May 2013, 20:39

That's easy to answer. In Germany it usually rains a lot in summer. In Italy it doesn't. ;)

Mintexmemory
23rd May 2013, 21:09
That's easy to answer. In Germany it usually rains a lot in summer. In Italy it doesn't. ;)

Exactly - true also of the uk. In a supermarket in. Arzachena in 2007 the lady on the deli counter asked if I was German - I shaved the submariner beard off immediately

edv
23rd May 2013, 23:24
Places I enjoyed : Iran, Belgium, Colombia

Not so much enjoyed: Egypt, China

Ambivalent about: USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Gemany

Still wanna see: Indonesia

D-Type
23rd May 2013, 23:39
Are we talking about places to visit on holiday, places to visit in the course of your work (short term and long term) or places to live? My view of some placescertainly varies - there are places I've enjoyed visiting but I wouldn't want to live there, eg Bangkok.

BDunnell
23rd May 2013, 23:44

That's an intriguingly varied list!

airshifter
24th May 2013, 01:50
Are we talking about places to visit on holiday, places to visit in the course of your work (short term and long term) or places to live? My view of some placescertainly varies - there are places I've enjoyed visiting but I wouldn't want to live there, eg Bangkok.

Excellent point. I might add that among the places I have visited, or even lived for brief periods, it's really not fair to "rate" them without at least a year or two of absorbing the entire culture and understanding the country better.

Being I enjoy learning cultures different from our own, I've enjoyed the vast majority of places I've ever visited. Even Alabama. :)

gadjo_dilo
24th May 2013, 06:54
I talk about places I dream of.
I'd be happy to travel anywhere in the world.

Knock-on
24th May 2013, 07:50

Why does it matter? I would say that it's the same as what you look for in a partner. For me, I have a partner that's a good cook and home maker, great fun to be with and makes me happy and finally is a complete slut between the sheets.

My job is to ensure that these 3 women never meet each other :devil: :laugh:

gadjo_dilo
24th May 2013, 08:03
Why does it matter? I would say that it's the same as what you look for in a partner. For me, I have a partner that's a good cook and home maker, great fun to be with and makes me happy and finally is a complete slut between the sheets.

My job is to ensure that these 3 women never meet each other :devil: :laugh:

Romanian demands are a bit different: housewife in kitchen, lady in society, slut in bed

henners88
24th May 2013, 08:39
That is what most men look for in a partner, it just takes us a little longer to find the right one. If the equation runs in the opposite, it can be embarrassing for all concerned. :)

R.Lee
24th May 2013, 10:47
Favorites, Most favorite, Australia. Very friendly and a fascinating place. New Zeland, same reason as for Australia. Greece, beautiful islands and it's history. Israel, amazing, like it due to my religious feelings.

Least favorites, Lebanon, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudia Arabia. I was there too many times, lost allot of friends, they were trying to kill me. For most of that region, whatever good there is there, is underground, because it isn't on the surface.

Malbec
24th May 2013, 12:14

In terms of people Iran is definitely the nicest place I've been to by far. Nowhere else has come close.

I agree with Belgium, it seems almost like an undiscovered and underrated version of France with nicer people.

Don't really have places I dislike. I'm not too bothered about returning to China and I don't see the attraction in going to identi-kit Gulf States either.

Malbec
24th May 2013, 12:19
Least favorites, Lebanon, For most of that region, whatever good there is there, is underground, because it isn't on the surface.

You're right, the best bars in Beirut are very difficult to find rather like American style Speakeasys. Its very easy to walk straight past them. I like the nightlife and eating out there but its too expensive to be my favourite place to go to. The people are extremely stylish too.

Rudy Tamasz
24th May 2013, 12:51
The people are extremely stylish too.

It's a matter of taste. I haven't been to Lebanon, but we have some Lebanese people in Minsk. Their style often looks like mating call.

ndegroot89
24th May 2013, 15:28
Besides the USA, Australia is fantastic.

markabilly
25th May 2013, 03:42

They either forgot WW2 is over or they want to re-live World War 2

markabilly
25th May 2013, 03:47

Well, you were real short, chubby and funny looking, and talked like you had a corn cob in your mouth, so it was really difficult to understand you and what you wanted

Until you bent over.... :s mokin:

donKey jote
25th May 2013, 12:43
no, that description doesn't fit at all :laugh:

sounds more like one of your cousins :bandit:

Bezza
29th May 2013, 09:13
USA best place I've been, love it. Friendliest people, great food, good laughs, great place to live - which is why I am considering moving there between 2017 and 2020. I work for a US company and it is an ambition of mine.

Of the other places I've been to:

Spain, Cyprus, France, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, Ireland, all over the UK.

I liked them all. Except France. French people annoy me. Rude, arrogant, obnoxious - thats from three visits to France, and one to Bulgaria which had a lot of French people in the hotel! The only nice French woman was half Italian!

J4MIE
29th May 2013, 13:15

Good way of putting it :)

Places I loved:
Kenya, Australia, Finland, Italy, Estonia, Sweden, France, Poland

Places I wasn't too bothered about:
Egypt, New Zealand, Spain (though have only visited Madrid - sorry Donkey), Czech Republic

Places I really didn't like:
Germany

Places I still want to go:
USA, Canada, Chile, Iceland, China, Indonesia, South Korea, India, Morocco, Botswana, Zambia (and most other places in Africa)

donKey jote
30th May 2013, 20:08
Places I wasn't too bothered about:
Spain (though have only visited Madrid - sorry Donkey),
:eek: :crazy: your guide must have been absolutely useless ! :p

donKey jote
30th May 2013, 20:19
Excellent point. I might add that among the places I have visited, or even lived for brief periods, it's really not fair to "rate" them without at least a year or two of absorbing the entire culture and understanding the country better.

Being I enjoy learning cultures different from our own, I've enjoyed the vast majority of places I've ever visited. Even Alabama. :)

yep :up:

I can't think of anywhere I've visited or lived in that I didn't enjoy. Never been to Alabama though :p

Starter
30th May 2013, 20:44

I can't think of anywhere I've visited or lived in that I didn't enjoy. Never been to Alabama though :p
You should visit. I can arrange a date for you with markabilly's mama for just a couple of bucks. :D

airshifter
31st May 2013, 02:29

All I can say is that moving from California to Alabama at about 14 years of age was the biggest culture shock I've ever experienced! :eek:

Rudy Tamasz
31st May 2013, 07:50
All I can say is that moving from California to Alabama at about 14 years of age was the biggest culture shock I've ever experienced! :eek:

Bocephus wanted to take a train all the way down to Alabama till it ran out of track. Must be a cool place to be.

SGWilko
31st May 2013, 09:23
You should visit. I can arrange a date for you with markabilly's mama for just a couple of bucks. :D

Bloody hell - inflation is steep!

gadjo_dilo
31st May 2013, 09:59

Nice abilities of a pimp.....

Starter
31st May 2013, 14:41
Nice abilities of a pimp.....
Hey, it's a living. :p

ioan
1st June 2013, 22:06
The country I like most, other where I was born, is France and a close second is Slovenia, both with very very nice people where you just feel great.
The country that I like less until now is Saudi Arabia, people are generally nice but somehow you just don't feel at ease.

Roamy
2nd June 2013, 02:03
Italy
Women Wine Ferrari Food Cars Clothes Airplanes Boats landscape

Somalia - Sh!thole extraordinare Haven't been - won't go

2nd June 2013, 05:02
uppppppppppppppppp
Múi giá»

2nd June 2013, 06:43
uppppppppppppppppp
Múi giá»

Knock-on
6th June 2013, 21:18
So Uncs, are we gonna get some Cowboy hospitality in Austin this year. Sure you owe me a round of golf, a bottle of red and a hot Cuban. (Cigar or the other will do)

ioan
1st July 2013, 22:29
Visiting Russia this week.
Positively surprised after the first half day.

keysersoze
2nd July 2013, 03:05
Not well-traveled at all. Lived in Okinawa and The Phillipines as a child (my mother is Filipino) and have spent a couple of weeks in England and Canada, a week in Italy, been to Mexico a few times. Have thoroughly enjoyed what limited travel I've experienced--nothing bad to say about any of them. I'm sure human rights violations (as well as antipathy toward Americans) would keep me from visiting several countries--I wouldn't need a trip to know I wouldn't enjoy myself.

keysersoze
2nd July 2013, 03:10

Texans are particularly Texas-centric. Mexico is probably the only other country he could name. No seriously.

2nd July 2013, 07:37
I things nepal is favorite country,the sport also cricket, football,volleyball,etc there is Mounteverest, and rafting also provide.

2nd July 2013, 07:38
thanks for info.

2nd July 2013, 07:39
what are the visit place there.

henners88
2nd July 2013, 07:46
Down the hall second on the left rajun.

TheFamousEccles
2nd July 2013, 10:43
Interesting banter on this thread.

I must say that in my limited travels overseas, I have never been to a bad place :D

My first time OS was in '07 and first stop was Barcelona - I fell in love. Hot weather, cheap beer and beautiful women everywhere! I had booked tickets to the MotoGP round at Catalunya over the interwebs and was having a crappy time negotiating Sants rail terminal. I bumped into a group of guys from Scotland (one of whom was an expat Aussie) in the same predicament so we pooled resources and eventually found our way to the correct level and platform. Arriving at Montmelo (I can't find the correct accent marks on my computer, so apologies to Spaniards everywhere) we bought beer and water for the half-hour walk to the gates and took in the sights. Montmelo isn't the prettiest place, but the locals were absolutely barking mad, thrashing about on modified scooters with expansion chambers and stinger exhaust tips, getting knees down on round-abouts, stuff like that. Highly entertaining!

Whilst walking I heard some cool music (Zep) and the familiar pungent waft of the 'erb coming from a group of people, so I stopped and said "Hola". A short time later totally toasted and having made some good friends my new Scots friends and I made it to the gates. Our tickets were for separate stands so we said our goodbyes and wandered off in the direction of our seats.

My seat was right on the fringe of the VR46 fan club. And in front of me were a significant group of Pedrosa fans. I was wearing my Ducati t-shirt with an Australian flag bandanna on my head. A genuine bump on a log. Anyway, the races were fantastic and the MotoGP race was a cracker, with CS27 beating Vale in a fair fight. I was shouting myself hoarse. After the race had finished and people were filtering off, the guys in front of me turned around and looked at me. I smiled back. They spoke to each other and then reached into a large bag and pulled out a cold beer, offering it to me! We stayed and chatted in very broken english and spanish, ranging from bikes to women to bikes again. Eventually we said our goodbyes and I started making my way back through the crowd and the merch stands, bought some t-shirts for some friends back home and headed to the gates, bumping into my Scots friends again! Walking back we came across a guy who was selling huge cups of some kind of red wine and coke for a euro, so we purchased some - curious flavour but not revolting as you might imagine. There was no more beer to be found. My weed smoking friends were still parked where we had left them so we stopped and chatted for a little while whilst the crazy scooter kiddies were fanging around in increasingly frenetic fashion. At this time I received a call from my wife who was unleashed on Las Ramblas and the boutiques thereabouts. Amazingly she had shopped herself dry and was waiting for me at Placa Real. So I bade my friends farewell and made my way to Montmelo station.

Montmelo train station was packed and the trains were late. Eventually I made it to the Placa Real and my wife who was under siege by some very loud and pissed-up English footer hoolies, who were not at all appreciative of my arrival. They were eventually made to move on by some very burly bouncer types, but not before some glasses were smashed and chairs thrown. I needed a shower and a feed. This was only my second full day in Spain!

I could go on and on, but maybe another time. I love Spain.

(I do realise that the vast majority of Northern English are not drunk pricks so my views are not tainted.)

driveace
2nd July 2013, 11:50
I like Canada and Denmark for the scenery and the people,been to some poor countries,that maybe I would not want to live in ,BUT every bodies tastes are different

Mark in Oshawa
5th July 2013, 00:34
Coincidentally to this thread: BBC News - BBC poll: Germany most popular country in the world (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22624104)
I see my part of the world made 2nd....and yet not many mentions on here. The thing is with Canada, there are about 4 different cultural experiences I could name off the top of my head that would change your view of what Canada is.....

As for other nations, alas, I haven't been to all the places you guys have been to. I have been to the USA and Mexico. That's it....and Mexico is....well Mexico. I suppose if I can name my favourite place in the world, it would be the island of Kauai in Hawaii.......perfect weather, beautiful scenery and the native Hawaiians are awesome....problem is too many mainland Americans are kind of upsetting the population balance and the natives kinda resent it...

Mark in Oshawa
5th July 2013, 00:44
Countries on my bucket list? Ireland, North and the Republic because that is where my roots go back to, along with Scotland. England and Wales of course... and then I would love to see the Netherlands and Germany. Italy and Switzerland I wouldn't object to but they are not on my must do list. I probably should do Italy since i do love the food but Italians drive me nuts at times.....

As for France....well I hear it is not what we think it is but they are a different sort of cat......so I might go there to see some historical places like Normandy or the WW1 battlefields...and I would like to see LeMans...but it is France...lol..I have heard it isn't always that clean....and while I know I can speak a little broken French, I guess I want something different. As for the rest of Europe..I should keep an open mind.

I would love to see Australia and NZ ...I am told New Zealand is breathtaking. I need to maybe get to South Korea to see my niece who lives there now....but really, travelling from here is VERY expensive....so I have to pick my spots.

Mark in Oshawa
5th July 2013, 00:51
The U.S.A. is a bit of an enigma. Most of my travels there have been very positive, but I’ve also visited places where I’d rather never return :s .

I would suggest to any who are intimidated by America they need to grow up and realize in a nation of 300 million plus people, you will have some sad cases. I have been to 46 of 50 states and while Americans don't always understand others from other nations, they don't always understand each other. As for those going off on the fact the Americans have guns....most people as tourists in the USA will never see one. What is more, there are far more dangerous nations than the USA....so spare me the leftist drivel about those awful Americans. They have their faults, and quirks, and some cities are not always shining jewels, but it is one vast and interesting nation. I haven't made it across the oceans to other continents, but the USA isn't scary. Mexico I found a little scary at times......

Mark in Oshawa
5th July 2013, 00:52
And No Schmenke, I wasn't referring to you...lol

gadjo_dilo
5th July 2013, 07:11
As for France....well I hear it is not what we think it is but they are a different sort of cat......so I might go there to see some historical places like Normandy or the WW1 battlefields...and I would like to see LeMans...but it is France....

What's so exciting about batterfields? :confused:

There are so many other interesting places.....
( I mean Moulin Rouge, Eurodisney, etc. :devil: )

henners88
5th July 2013, 07:12
Seeing the battlefields is probably more out of respect. They are a significant part of Europe's history after all.

gadjo_dilo
5th July 2013, 08:04
Seeing the battlefields is probably more out of respect. They are a significant part of Europe's history after all.
True, but I can't see why someone would cross the ocean just to see them when in the same place there are Louvre, Versailles, castles of the Loire Valley, etc. etc.etc.

P.S. Sorry. I have an obsession on visiting France.

henners88
5th July 2013, 09:40
True, but I can't see why someone would cross the ocean just to see them when in the same place there are Louvre, Versailles, castles of the Loire Valley, etc. etc.etc.

P.S. Sorry. I have an obsession on visiting France.
Its possible to visit a place and accomplish all types of culture and history if you have enough time. Millions of tourists visit my home town of Stratford Upon Avon every year to see the play where William Shakespeare was born and grew up and is buried. There are play rights in most countries and Shakespeare plays performed in many languages in most countries, but people cross the ocean or fly from the other side of the world to experience this.

A friend of mine married a Polish girl and the first time he went to Poland he decided he wanted to visit Auschwitz. Not exactly a pleasant activity to do on holiday for all the family, but he felt it was one of those things where it was an important part of our history and he wanted to experience and take in the appalling history associated with it. Each country offers different things and some people are interested in some things and not others. I've visited the art galleries of Paris and stayed with relatives in Northern France many times myself. I'd love to visit the battlefields of France and Belgium as I'm interested. I wouldn't purposely travel to do that one trip, but I might visit whilst I am there. :)

gadjo_dilo
5th July 2013, 09:59
You're too serious for a Friday morning. If you ever come here I'll take you to the battlefield of Marasesti. :laugh:

Lucy
17th July 2013, 14:25
The most beautiful place in the world? Definitelly Hawaii :) ) I totally fell in love with these islands :)
And the worst... It's hard to say. I think every country has some places which aren't beautifull...

Starter
17th July 2013, 15:11
The most beautiful place in the world? Definitelly Hawaii :) ) I totally fell in love with these islands :)
And the worst... It's hard to say. I think every country has some places which aren't beautifull...
Hawaii is indeed a beautiful place. Personally, I prefer Kauai over the other islands, though Maui is a good second. And, though there are some nice places on the north shore, I don't care that much for Oahu.

schmenke
17th July 2013, 15:17
I've only (sadly) visited Hawaii a couple of times, but Kauai was stunning. The other time was the Big Island, and managed to stay a couple of days on Oahu. I'd definitely return to Kauai :up: , although I wouldn't mind trying Maui :) .

Lucy
17th July 2013, 15:19
I have been only at Oahu, Kauai, Molokai and Big Island :) ... that's also a reason, why I need to go back there :D
Kauai was really beautiful... it amazed me. Big Island also... but when we went to the highest place I wasn't expected such a cold weather :D

Starter
17th July 2013, 16:16
I have been only at Oahu, Kauai, Molokai and Big Island :) ... that's also a reason, why I need to go back there :D
Kauai was really beautiful... it amazed me. Big Island also... but when we went to the highest place I wasn't expected such a cold weather :D
Oh yes, you definitely need a warm coat when you go to Volcano National Park on Hawaii or up on the volcanoes on the other islands. Hawaii (the state, not the island) was a great place to visit, but I don't want to live there. I was there a number of times over a five year period (I was forced to go, forced I tell you), but haven't been back since '07.

Lucy
17th July 2013, 16:24
Yes, maybe there are better places for living, but for a longer holiday thats perfect :) Most of my stay there I spend in Honolulu (I visit university there, so I had to :) and for me it was also quite expensive...

Starter
17th July 2013, 16:37
Yes, maybe there are better places for living, but for a longer holiday thats perfect :) Most of my stay there I spend in Honolulu (I visit university there, so I had to :) and for me it was also quite expensive...
Yes, very expensive to live there. I was managing an Air Force contract that had a component at Hickam and my location manager and his wife each held two jobs so they could afford to live in the islands.

Lucy
17th July 2013, 18:01
True... so maybe in this case possible :)